Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,435
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

This beer better be furious! See what I did there? I haven't mad many beers from this brewing company, but two are on our list. The first one we did wasn't very good, but I heard, after sharing our review of that one, that this is the best beer they make. I like hops, and this is a HOP BOMB coming in at 99 IBU. Do you know what IBU stands for? That means international bittering units. This is a measure of how hoppy a beer is. Humans can't taste beyond 100 IBU, but there are beers that go beyond that. Like the Green Flash Palate Wrecker. That beer, this year, was 137 IBU. It. Is. GREAT!

This beer is also served in a can. Not a lot of our beers are canned. but cans are starting to become a big deal in craft beer. Just today I saw Papago selling several beers from Ballast Point… ALL canned. Some beers taste better in the can, but that doesn't mean I want everything to start moving toward cans. Hoppy beers taste better from a can, though. You know me and hops. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The tasting notes said this beer was copper in color. It's not. It looks like any other American IPA I have had. We did a hoppy beer the other night, and I am pumped to try this one. Some buddies on Google+ said this was the best beer Surly makes. I hope, because I didn't really care for the other cans I have had. Still a fun story and awesome logo! There is a nice thin head left on this, with some insanely sticky lace. In my head I know what this tastes like… I just hope it delivers.

Nose: The nose is nice, but it isn't anything to write home about. It has some nice piney notes to it, but isn't really screaming huge hoppy flavors. This beer is 99 IBU, which is high for an American IPA. It's not high for a double IPA, but that seems high for just a regular canned IPA.

There is a hint, and I mean a subtle hint, of sweetness toward the end. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Holy hoppy goodness! I wish more daily drinking India pale ales would taste like that. It hits your palate with a punch of pine, and then as you swallow, the subtle fruity flavors start to open up. The beer is quite carbonated, but as this heats up and as this mellows out, the bubbles won't really bother me.

I will say, even after a few sips of this, the lace is still sticking to the side of the glass. Unless I grabbed a dirty glass, this beer has some impressive lace characteristics.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite carbonated. More than I would like for an American IPA. The real experience happens toward the back of the palate. It has a nice fluffy feel to it, but as you swallow, more bubbles really overtake your palate.

Aftertaste: It's not dry… but it's close. It has a nice drying sensation as you swallow and as you continue to swallow. The burp is nice, too. Of course, there is some of dinner in there. I had grilled chicken tonight, but I soaked it in hot sauce. This isn't a beer that I would chug, not one that I would give to someone that says, "Tell me more about craft beer." This is not a gateway beer.

Surly is a good brewery, don't get me wrong. But they aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Speaking of sliced bread, there have been some pretty awesome inventions since sliced bread. Like the Internet! Anyway, if you can easily grab this beer, do. I bet it is great on tap. But for $9.99 for 4 cans, it is a bit overpriced. Cheers!

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go... The IPA Hunter continues to stalk the streets like Omar, but instead of packages, I'm looking for the world's best India Pale Ales. Plain and simple, this is one tasty mothereffer. I love this one so much, I feel like rapping.

confessing thru diction, wise stood next to the kitchen
that cooked hell's crack, foreseen the death of tradition
odes and laws... caskets, crows galore
demanded with greed, planted the seed that grew the rose of war

propose the raw, that split rivers and rose the shore
potential was tapped, sequential the fact, chose to soar
so i reserve, the right to preserve... this art
to serve and re-serve, whole communities in less than 3 words

may the point reverb…
wanna research the illest mc, then type wise as your keyword
smash you rodents, rap classics, kill ignorant types
for being "rat bastards" like "illegitimate mice"

set fire to a man, then fire to your fam
inspired by “the wire,” fam, wise is in "demand"
no hbo, the system, supply and demand
for a real king with skills, then admire when i jam

like iron in the hand, retire if you can
battlin’ requires attire, this fire, give a tan
from a line, buyers, aspire to a gram
murder for hire, you wanna hire for your clan?

gotta decline, with honor, like the sire that i am
and anyone with an issue, can lie up in the sand
gotta keep this wisdom, conspired to a brand
believe shit can get greasy like fryin’ in a pan

expire and expand, got priors and a ban
for bangin’ out, unless a ceasefire is the plan
put ya lil' ratchets away, whatever homey's got heart
gon see strays from everywhere, like kobe's shot chart

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 7/17/14 and poured 9/8/14. Price interestingly enough isn't on the can like the others one I got from Four Firkins. I'd guess maybe $4 for a single can wouldn't be far off.

Appearance: Semi-aggressive pour gives the darkest looking single IPA I think I've ever seen. A copper brown color with some orange tints. There are also a lot of "floaters" in the glass. The head is sand colored and bout a finger in height, and there is a little bit of initial sticky lacing. Looks pretty nice. (4.25/5)

Smell: Wow that is a malty sweet smelling IPA, yet it's coupled with insane amounts of hops. Man. Tropical fruits and citrus galore in this beer with maybe a slight floral character. This was canned about two months ago but the strength of the hop aroma coming from Furious wouldn't suggest that at all. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: I'm assuming it's the choice of hops in this beer, but there's something different about this beer as opposed to many others in the style. I get a really nice malt flavor on the front, but without a lot of sweetness -- hops immediately take over and the beer's bitter from then on. Loads of every tropical fruit ever (except durian... is that considered tropical?) with citrus, pine resin, and a little floral notes as well coming through. Aftertaste is a bit "sticky" from the hops, quite bitter, and with a little lingering malt flavor. Rinse and repeat. This beer is packing an impressive amount of flavor even at "just" 6.2%. The body is about medium with a fairly high, prickly carbonation. It seems weird, because this beer feels like it could easily be a DIPA, but considering the ABV, it works well. (4.5/5, 4/5)

I'd've LOVED to find Abrasive when I was in Minneapolis so I could compare the two, but I guess it's not out right now. Hopefully next time. Furious is a great beer that's appropriately named. This is an IPA that's in your face with the hops... but it remains somewhat balanced. Sure, it's bitter and hoppy as hell, but Surly surely didn't forget the malts. This drinks like a world-class DIPA for the most part, but it's actually a single IPA... that makes it all the more impressive.

TL;DR: The flavor of a DIPA with the alcohol of a SIPA. Must-buy.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Finally after long last my FIRST Surly beer,thanks Erik.Pours a deep burnt orange color with a full half finger slight off white head that leaves a few broken rings of lace as it settles.Hop oils really jump out at ya in the aromas just resiny and sharp goodness,sweetish caramel malts stand out as well.Resiny and with sharp grapefruit rind hops up front on the palate,alot of sharpness,followed by some nuttiness and quite sweet caramel malts.It is a big hop machine,sharp and bitter,I love the hops and really like this beer.

Appearance: Dirty ruby-orange body with lots of carbonation and a head that just won’t quit. The beige crown is exceptionally thick both in dimension and in density. This froth reminds me of a trick a Czech broad taught me years ago when I was staying with her in France. If one could balance a small coin, the pre-Euro Czech equivalent to the dime on the head of a beer for ten seconds, then the beer was good. Well this beer looks like its froth could balance a half dollar for a minute!

Aroma: Pine tree forest soaked in butter toffee. I can smell bitterness to the point where my eyes are watering. Some fruity esters of pineapple and touches of citrus. Pine really dominates.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Painful. Furious is one of the most antagonistic and rancorous beers to have4 ever touched my lips. It hurts to drink. The body is so dry that I started to get a dehydration headache after a few gulps. To make matters worse, it seemed to fry my taste buds so that after the first sip or two I couldn’t really taste the beer, save a vague pine quality and the presence of acrid citrus. Big, huge, bitterness and hop presence but not in a good way for me. I can see why others love this but this is just too bitter and unbalanced for my liking and therefore not drinkable in the slightest.

Thanks to Jeff Krenner for the 4-packs.

Side Note: I had the tea-bagged Furious on cask and liked it much more than the regular.

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge shoutout to maximum12 for throwing me some of these. He is an amazing trader - absolutely crushed me with extras. Ever since I fell head over heels in love with Abrasive, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this stuff. It pours a brown-tinted copper color, deep and rustic; light ruby hints blanket the edges. The eggshell-colored cap is cloudy and puffy, showing insane retention and leaving some fat, chunky lacing behind. Beautiful beer.

The best way for me to accurately describe the aroma would be "fresh hops". It doesn't sound like much, but the pureness and unabashed raw power radiating from this brew is simply excellent. It doesn't have as large of a citric quality as Abrasive (and I don't believe it is supposed to), but it makes up for that with some of the freshest hop aromas in the neighborhood. Leaves, grass, and florals, along with a very mild pepper spice. Simply bursting with raw hoppy goodness.

Though the fruity aspect may not be as big as Abrasive, that would be like saying Tiger Woods isn't as good of a golfer as Arnold Palmer. Furious still has a large citrus presence in the background of the aroma - zesty grapefruit peels and juicy citrus quadrants. There's a mild, oily pungency that hits hard in the final moments of the aroma's time inside your nostrils. Furious smells damn good; I imagine it's largely on par with sticking your face into a bucket full of fresh hops and citrus peels. Doesn't get much better.

The flavor profile is build upon a blanket of lightly toasted caramel and toffee flavored malts. It's evident from the appearance of Surly that caramel malts may have been used and the first sip easily confirms that. The malty body couples nicely with the heavy, earthy hop foundation. Peppery, herbal, ashy, and leafy, the hops carry over the same tone of freshness that they had in the aroma onto the palate. The earthy qualities may be a little more pronounced, but it still screams "hops!"

Grapefruit rinds and tangerines peels outline the s edges, providing a slight balance to the hop flavors and the faint sweetness from the malts. Bitterness is pretty relevant throughout the entirety of the glass (or can, I should say), although it's low enough to gulp Furious without hurting your mouth - this stuff goes down way too easy. I couldn't believe when I found out this stuff is 99 IBUs; doesn't taste like it at all. A very nice collaboration of bread, caramel, peppery hops, and grass leaves your palate satisfied after every sip. Medium bodied, crisp from high carbonation, just on the edge of being sticky and coating.

Well, there you have it. This stuff is amazing. So easy to drink and so damn delicious. Reasonably priced for a 4-pack of 16 oz. cans, too. Why in the hell doesn't this stuff leave Minnesota? If I could go to the store and buy this myself, it would easily be a staple in my fridge. Or my life.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a hazy, mild brown with a soft white head. A great caramelly hop aroma is followed by a slightly bitter, creamy taste when it hits your lips. It finishes with both sweet and sour notes and leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. It's definitely among the best canned beers I've ever had.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

A – Deep maple amber. Incredible lace and nice retention on a foamy khaki head.

S - Pungent citrus and piney hops with notes of orange, grapefruit and grass. Caramel and toffee malt are noticeable in the background as well as some floral notes.

T - There's a lot of fruit character - grapefruit, orange, and some tangerine. The hops actually give the perception of sweetness, though the beer is very bitter.

M - The mouthfeel is very nice. It starts off with a bit of body, then finishes dry. There isn't much carbonation, which makes it nice and smooth. It's very drinkable overall.

O - Awesome IPA from Surly. Glad I got to try this one.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a deep amber body and the bubbles actually churn furiously under the pillowy white head as it is poured. Aroma is inviting leafy, earthy hops and a hint of amonia. Medium bodied and surprisingly not overly bitter. Great hop flavor especially in the finish. The malt seems to be keeping the bitterness honest, but I can't really detect any distinguishable malt flavors. Good drinkability for 99 IBUs.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can poured into 2 New Belgium goblets shared with hu5om:

A: Little-to-no head, which dissipated quickly following the pour. a dark mauve color that is rather opaque with no sediment visible.

S: Very sweet citrus smell with a lingering aroma of hops.

T: An excellent hoppy beer, an IPA though not labelled as such by Surly. Citrus flavors are omnipresent and the hops give the mouth a solid buzz.

MF/D: A blast of taste overshadows the carbonation making it a smooth hop-beer. a fantastic (as always) beer from a can.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

16oz can with some badass artwork. I would love to see more brewers do these big cans, they're quite nice IMHO! Pours into my glass a deep amber orange with a nice pillowy white head on top. Pretty good clarity with plenty of carbonation. Lookin good. Aromas start off with some nice caramel malts and sweet candy scents. Big hops burst out with lots of citrus and pine all over the place. Lots 'o hop oils in this one with a definite grapefruit accent. Draws me in....

First sip brings a smooth caramel malt with a light candy sweetness that's quickly followed by a wave of dense hop flavors. Lots of citrus including orange and grapefruit alongside pine resin. Fresh green hop oils blast out all over the place. Flows down with a nicely balanced bitterness. Finishes smooth where each sips just begs you to take another. Hoppy burps are in full effect. This is some good shit no doubt.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a near perfect body. Carbonation is wonderful adding a creamy aspect to each sip. Furious is an incredibly drinkable beer and I could see myself downing quite a few cans if I had it more readily available. Just a damn fine IPA all around. Please start distributing this in Illinois soon! Yum.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Cans...gotta love 'em...tall boys of beer should be a standard...

Clear, dark copper colored body. Basically white head on top, came on about an inch thick and reduced to a thinnish layer. Lacing grabs the glass well.

Lots of citrus hops, grapefruit and a touch of tangerines. Crystal malting comes in too with some caramel sweetness to round it out. Quite the potent aroma, which is a standard I have come to expect with cans.

Taste is loaded with hops as well. Citrus pith and some pine resin add a nice bitterness to this. Caramel and a touch of biscuit malts underneath work to balance this out. Some straw and herbal hops finish. Overall it seems pretty balanced although there are a lot of hops in it. The flavor profile is pretty simple but it doesn't hold back at all. This is good.

Medium bodied, low carbonation. Coats the tongue and cheeks and allows the bitterness to hang on well after the swallow. Drinkability is really good. Strong flavor and aroma that isn't overly comlicated. It has enough in it to make it interesting but can still be put down easily.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company