Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,435
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)

On cask at Darkness Day. I went to this one first before the palate was completely shot.

Absolutely wonderful. Huge cascading head. A bit more orange colored than normal Furious. Smell has loads more citrus in it and is backed by an herbal and tea aroma. The taste matches the nose with an immense citrus blast that deliciously outweighs the sweet malts and intensified herbal and tea character. This and Smoke were to 2 beers that I really wanted to try and I'm so fucking happy they had both.

Different brew but here are further notes of my thoughts of Furious... if anyone cares :)

Surly- Furious

Big thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- Deep reddish brown with a HUGE foamy merangue- like head. Chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Strong oily pine sap hops.
T- Sweet pine needle/cone flavor with a sugary grapefruit rind. Caramel malt appears in the end.
M- Sweet up front turning bitter throughout the middle of the beer and finishing off creamy with a dry aftertaste.

Overall- Delicious! This is 1 of the best beers I've had to date.
Gotta give it a solid 5, I can't think of any reason to score lower in any of the catagories!?! This lives up to all the hype!

Appearance: nice red hazy, small amounts of b-ll float with in my beer

Smell: Grapefruit, sweet pine, hardy citric

Head: Big and Creamy

Taste: Right off the Bat grapefruit and maltyness then pine come in to play on the sides of my palate

Weight: Medium to heavy on the body, carbonation seems low to medium

Finish: Yummy, the flavors of Furious stays on my palate with seems forever

Had this can waiting for me on my porch after a long bike ride. I knew it was a package from vjslow and I expected it to contain Alpha Kong and 120 Minute IPA, the agreed upon trade. I find both of the afore mentioned beers plus a Seven Mules Kick-Ass Ale and 2, yes 2!, cans of Surly Furious. I have never had the beer, but I hear it is pretty good. Oh yes, it is very good, quite remarkable in fact. Easily the best beer I have ever had from a can, and possibly the best beer I have ever had, period.
Appearance Dark ruby red, with thn white head that dissipates down into a tiny ring that stays with the beer till the end.
Smell was very florally hoppy. You can actually smell the bitterness the beer contains
Taste is phenomenal. Bitter and aggressive, yet incredibly balanced. The hops kind of burn your tongue, but the beer is also slightly sweet which helps
Mouthfeel is quite rich. The oily hops coat your mouth and actually caused me to salivate. A sticky resin stays in my throat until I take another sip.
Drinkability again is superior. If only one beer could be produced as the national craft beer of America, Surly's Furious would make a strong bid.
Absolutely incredible beer. I was blown away and definitely did not expect it to be this good. Again, a big thanks to vj2slow.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company