Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,503
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,447 | Hads: 5,057

On cask at Darkness Day. I went to this one first before the palate was completely shot.

Absolutely wonderful. Huge cascading head. A bit more orange colored than normal Furious. Smell has loads more citrus in it and is backed by an herbal and tea aroma. The taste matches the nose with an immense citrus blast that deliciously outweighs the sweet malts and intensified herbal and tea character. This and Smoke were to 2 beers that I really wanted to try and I'm so fucking happy they had both.

Different brew but here are further notes of my thoughts of Furious... if anyone cares :)

Surly- Furious

Big thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- Deep reddish brown with a HUGE foamy merangue- like head. Chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Strong oily pine sap hops.
T- Sweet pine needle/cone flavor with a sugary grapefruit rind. Caramel malt appears in the end.
M- Sweet up front turning bitter throughout the middle of the beer and finishing off creamy with a dry aftertaste.

Overall- Delicious! This is 1 of the best beers I've had to date.
Gotta give it a solid 5, I can't think of any reason to score lower in any of the catagories!?! This lives up to all the hype!

Appearance: nice red hazy, small amounts of b-ll float with in my beer

Smell: Grapefruit, sweet pine, hardy citric

Head: Big and Creamy

Taste: Right off the Bat grapefruit and maltyness then pine come in to play on the sides of my palate

Weight: Medium to heavy on the body, carbonation seems low to medium

Finish: Yummy, the flavors of Furious stays on my palate with seems forever

Had this can waiting for me on my porch after a long bike ride. I knew it was a package from vjslow and I expected it to contain Alpha Kong and 120 Minute IPA, the agreed upon trade. I find both of the afore mentioned beers plus a Seven Mules Kick-Ass Ale and 2, yes 2!, cans of Surly Furious. I have never had the beer, but I hear it is pretty good. Oh yes, it is very good, quite remarkable in fact. Easily the best beer I have ever had from a can, and possibly the best beer I have ever had, period.
Appearance Dark ruby red, with thn white head that dissipates down into a tiny ring that stays with the beer till the end.
Smell was very florally hoppy. You can actually smell the bitterness the beer contains
Taste is phenomenal. Bitter and aggressive, yet incredibly balanced. The hops kind of burn your tongue, but the beer is also slightly sweet which helps
Mouthfeel is quite rich. The oily hops coat your mouth and actually caused me to salivate. A sticky resin stays in my throat until I take another sip.
Drinkability again is superior. If only one beer could be produced as the national craft beer of America, Surly's Furious would make a strong bid.
Absolutely incredible beer. I was blown away and definitely did not expect it to be this good. Again, a big thanks to vj2slow.

Presentation: My third Surly sampling. Much thanks to Packforever1976, an awesome trader! Poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours with three fingers of light tan head. This settles slowly, more condenses, to about half its original size, leaving behind incredible, sticky, webbed lacing. The beer itself is the color of tarnished copper, with a small amount of activity.

Smell: Incredibly powerful aroma; I can smell it as the glass sits on the desk in front of me. Smell is unbelievably piney and smells like sticking your nose in a bag of fresh hops.

Taste: Obvious dry-hopping flavors upfront. Piney, but not to the extent of the smell. A little more spicy than the smell, with some citrus. Blends seamlessly into a biscuity caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation. Body is good.

Drinkability: OMFG, this beer is great. So amazingly flavorful without being undrinkable. A perfect blend of malt and hops. I read about this offered on cask. I can only imagine how great that is.

To call a beer perfect is a tall order, but this one is. I am an absolute hop head and this is a gem in my quest for the holy ale! It pours like no other beer I have experienced. While it is the typical orange of other IPA's, it is murky and has particulate matter floating about. It is surly, surely. The smell, to quote a good pal of mine, is GLORIOUS! Citrus-pine-grapefruit will overtake your nostrils and initiate a hop coma that may be summed up in just one word; mmm. Or "mmm, beer" if you want to quote a famous father we all know. Oh, the taste... Perfection. I wonder if they just put hops in a blender and then canned it. If you are a floral hopoholic, this is the beer you have been looking for. Imbibe, my brothers and sisters.

I am biased. I love this beer so much that it is the beer by which I measure all others. The aroma is a delightful bitter floral grapefruit. Color is beautiful reddish brown. Taste is a fantastic bitter grapefruit that lingers for minutes. Full boddied rich IPA. Just awesome. The guys at Surly know what they're doing and this beer just proves it.

I've just come back to Earth after a week-long non-stop beer tasting "vacation" with my IPA-obsessed bro-in-law Bernie (AKA "BDB" - Bernie the Drinking Bear) visiting from California. My other over-the-top-hophead bro-in-law Scotty Joe also joined the fray. We sampled every American pale ale, IPA and double IPA we could find in the St. Paul MN area plus eight fantastic IPA's Bernie flew in from L.A.

I can't remember half the full list anymore (imagine that) but notable entrants included:

Aass Brewery's Dark Hops DIPA,
Full Sail IPA;
Grand Teton's Lost Continent IPA;
most everything from Great Divide;
Kurn River's Just Outstanding IPA;
Lagunitas' Maximus IPA, "17" Black Lager, "13" Red Ale, A Little Sumpin' APA, Undercover DIPA and Hop Stoopid DIPA;
O'Dell's IPA;
Stone's Sublimey Self-Righteous Black IPA;
Surly Bitter Brewer lager, Furious IPA and Abrasive DIPA;
Two Brothers' Hop Juice DIPA and Cane & Ebel RIPA;
Tyranena Hop Whore IPA & Bitter Woman IPA;
Victory Hop Wallop DIPA...

...and the winner: SURLY FURIOUS - the quinessential American IPA

Other top finishers: Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous, Belle's HopSlam, Drake's Denogginizer and Surly Abrasive.

Thanks to brdc for the chance to try this one. Poured this 16 oz. can into a becker glass. No date. The body was a beautiful hazy amber color. The head was two fingers of oatmeal colored cream.

Smell was floral and sweet (but not too sweet). Caramel. Toasty malts. Bread crust. Fantastic aroma.

Taste was rich hops flavors and a light resin bitterness. The grassy bitterness builds as it floats around the palate. There is a nice long bittering aftertaste, never harsh. The flavor is as intense as the aroma. Impressive.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with medium to mild carbonation. Believe the hype.

this beer is a 10. i really cant think of anything wrong with this hop filled beer. always a hit and super tasty. one thing i look for is the consistency in tastes which i believe can differ from tap to tap, or can to can. when drinking this can i always pour into a glass. i dont think you can drink it out of the can and get all of flavors and smells. going rate for this tasty treat is usually 2.5-3 a can, good deal!!

A wonderful beer. The story goes that the brewery didn't really expect to do much with this beer and then the public tried it and couldn't get enough of it. A fantastic IPAish beer. Enjoy!

the amirillo stands out in this beer, taste little of edleberry, citrus, and lots of hops, hard to get this beer in new england, so will take a trip to find this one again, one of my top beers to have in my fridge (next to the heady toppers). WOW and it comes from a can too.

16 oz can, no freshness date, poured into a pint glass

A—deep dark copper with a 1 inch tan head that slowly collapses into a few blobs, lacing is in thick sheets and is everywhere

S—citrus and pine are strongest, maybe a little bit of floral notes, just a hint of sugary sweetness fades in and out

T—yep, it’s as good in a can as it is on tap, hops everywhere, pine, citrus, perfume, floral, very strong bitterness from start to finish. Excellent

M—very smooth, medium bodied, perfect carbonation

D—perfect. This is the first beer I have given all 5s. I would give it higher if I could. It’s that good. Another? Absolutely.

A- Redish Amber, thicker head but it dies down to a thin layer that sticks to the sides pretty well
S-O the hops!! When I first had this beer all I could think of was grapefruits
T-Again very hoppy, hint of carmel, with a bitter after taste
M-Light carbonation that goes down smooth
D-In tell I moved to Germany I really did drink this daily. It is my favorite IPA

What more can I say that hasn't been said?

This is my staple beer! I'm not going to review it in the traditional fashion. Instead I'd rather just say it kicks major arse!! Now as a hop head, I found this beer to be excellent. But as a drinker in MPLS who is always searching for a fresh, hoppy, and strong beer. I found this beer to be my #1. I had always wanted to brew a beer similar to this. Instead Todd did all the work for me. I love the dark amber coloring. If poured correctly, it seems to always come with a nice head and can achieve some substantial lacing. When that first sip hits you, it brings that hoppy bite right to your palate. It then evolves into a fine bitter/fruity combination that I can't get enough of. Now had I reviewed this beer over 1 year ago, there would have been 1 minor change, aroma. But it is my recent knowledge (And correct me if I'm wrong.) that it seems they've been dry hopping the Furious recently. Which in my opinion is the only addition needed.

Truly a masterpiece!

color is fiery orange red. huge rocky cumulonimbus head the color of nougat.

smell is piney, caramel malts, and mint. some citrus in there as well.

taste is also piney, caramel malts, and mint. massive citrus. also nutty and butterscotchy.

mouthfeel is rich and amazing. so full and smooth.

drinkability is huge. easy to drink a four pack and love life man.

Had on tap at Señor Wong in St Paul.

Appearance: Amber (poor lighting) A small white head and no real lacing

Smell: Nice hoppy aroma comes through with pine

Taste: Nice Hoppy English style IPA, good balance of hop biterness and malt prescence.

Overall: a very good IPA on the English coming from Cali I am a big IPA and hop-head and this beer is very drinkable and satisfying!

Shows up in the glass a deep bloody red with suprisingly good clarity for such a hoppy, unfiltered beer. Dense head with lace so thick and sticky that one would need steel wool to scrub it from the glass. Great retention that lasts to the last sip, er gulp. Aroma is unbelivable. I swear I just got a hop bale dropped on my head. Very pungent and piney with some grapefruit and a faint toffee malt profile somewhere in the back. Flavour is off the chain hoppy. Resinous pine and grapefruit and dank cannabis. Loads of agrressive but pleasing bitterness as well. All the while that almost sweet toffee flavour backs up the whole thing and doesnt let the hops make your head explode.
One of the all time best beers ever! Try it now.

Furious is a great beer. You can really smell the I.B.U's in this beer and has a smell like it is fresh of the boil kettle. I love I.P.A's and Furious has one of the best taste I have had. This beer has a great finish and whether from a can or the tap tastes great!

This beer definitely lets you know you're drinking it. All the elements stand out, yet they still get along with each other. This is a hoppy beer with notes of citrus that is good with a meal or all night imbibing. It's got a great finish with high drink-ability. This is a beer lover's beer.

I have had this beer many times, more from cans, many times from tap as well. I would say it is my favorite beer to date!

A- Perfect, with an aggressive pour into a pint glass, i see a copper color with a giant tan-frothy head, had to stop pouring and add more! Lacing from beginning to end, resinous lacing! head retention is perfect, it stays with you the whole time!

S- Aroma is BOMB! Citrus, hops, caramel, toffee! This beer smells so great everytime i take a drink i have to endulge my nose first; i think my nose likes it just as much as my tastebuds!

T- All of what you smell and more! Hops and caramel malts up front that is followed by a bitterness that is welcome anytime in my book! The hop profile is huge in excellence!

M- This beer is creamy and crisp and medium bodied with perfect carbonation! i feel the can does a great job of retaining the qualities that this holds!

D- I don't think this is an everyday beer, i think this is an ALL THE f-ing TIME BEER! I have been drinking this beer frequently now for 3 months and it has made my life that much better! heheh... After two or more, your palette is prettied bombed out, but, still this beer is at the top of my list!

It should be higher on the top 100 list in my mind!

Pours a deep amber topped with an even, tight head that dies down to a 1/4" and then won't go away. The English language lacks the words necessary to describe the beautiful, sloppy lacing.

It smells like someone jammed a hop cone up each of my nostrils and then punched me in the nose with a fistful of hops. Clearly Furious was dry hopped by God Himself. It smells of everything that is good and right about pine and sweet pink grapefruit rind. The aroma adds a dimension to the taste that is bordering on spiritual.

And the taste?! My God. It's like my tongue got shot with a fully loaded grapefruit gun and then got stabbed by a million pine needles. A deluge of citrusy hops and orange peel bitterness tickles the tongue and coaxes a mirthful laugh out of each and every taste bud, but the laughter dies down a little when a squad team of sweet caramel and toffee shows up and crashes the party. It's malty underneath. But there's a bitterness in the finish that surfs on the tongue like a perfect wave. Balanced. So well balanced. Wow.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full bodied yet juicy, viscous yet clean, and slightly prickly.

Is it drinkable? Hell yeah. This is beer crack. The first thing I did when I finished it was crack open another one. This beer is American IPA perfection. From a can!

"Tea Bagged" Furious (I think tea-bagged just stands for dry-hopped, on-cask version of Furious)
Surly Brewing Co.
American IPA
6.2-6.5 % ABV
99 IBUs
On cask at Stub & Herb's; poured into a 16 oz. pint glass

Appearance 5/5

Deep orange red; massive foam because of the cask that took a while to settle to an alright white/off-white head. Clear, but not as clear as canned version. Great lacing, decent retention.

Aroma 5/5

Descriptors aside, simply awesome. Very very grassy, you can tell it's generously hopped and generously dry-hopped. Earthy? I don't detect any citrusy notes here, although the brewery says so... piney maybe? Very pleasant and intense. Tea-bagged is a suitable adjective. Herbal and fresh. And the smell never ever fades!

Taste 5/5 & Mouthfeel 5/5

Exactly like the aroma. This is the only beer that has had me burping hops! Starts slightly fruity sweet, full of grassy hop flavor, and a bitter, clean finish. Not as crisp and carbonated as the regular canned version; quite silky actually.

Drinkability 5/5

Very very easy drinking beer.

Furious might not be terribly complex, but it is what it says, furious! Must have for every hophead!!

Poured from a 16oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Pours a dark copper color with a nice symphony of carbonation bubbles that produce a big white soapy head and leaves nice lacing on my glass. Starts off with an intense hop aroma with pine resin, a nice array of citrus and tropical fruits, some floral scents mixed in with some nice aromatic caramel malts. Taste starts off with some nice mango, tropical fruit, and pine hop flavors then finishes with a nice strong but not overpowering caramel/toffee backbone. This is a meduim bodied IPA that is very well balanced and feels really nice on the palate, the hops let you know they're there but doesn't overpower it. This has been my favorite all around brew since I first tried it after a Vikings game last year. I always try to keep this one stocked in my fridge even through I sometimes have to drive two hours to replenish it. I just can't get enough of this stuff. This is my perfect 5 beer.

EDIT: Some individual just merged Tea Bagged Furious with regular Furious. This review is for Tea Bagged Furious.

Had on cask at Darkness Day 2009. "Tea bagged" with simcoe hops.

Appearance is a dark red golden hazy bubbly body with a thick large head.

Smell is of piney simcoe hops, heavily, and a caramel malt aroma.

The taste is of hops, lots of hops. Piney simcoe and grapefruit smack you in the mouth and say man up bitch! Sweet complex malt undertones compliment the hops amazingly.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel with bitterness that endures on the tongue.

Very drinkable for such an envelope expanding beer, so good. best IPA in the world.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company