Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,479
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Ratings: 4,828 | Reviews: 1,454
3.86/5  rDev -10.4%

16 oz can poured into snifter.

A: very hazy dark orange. decent head. nice lacing.
S: not a very strong scent. spicy. not getting any pine or citrus.
T: very bitter. bready/biscuity. not hint of sweetness. not very balanced. like the flavor of the hop profile, but would prefer a little more balance. slight pine oiliness.
M: very creamy mouthfeel. thick for a regular ipa, but i think this is definitely a good thing. outstanding.
O: enjoyed it and it stands up to about any regular ipa i can buy locally, but i was still disappointed due to the hype. easy to drink and not overpoweringly bitter by any means, but not as balanced as i prefer.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Just from the look of it I could tell this beer was going to be a dank hop experience. A dark amber brown with a 1/2 inch of the bubbly stuff and tons of micro floats in the glass.

S - Dank resinous hops next to some roasted and caramel malts. To sum up assertive.

T - Well its bitter and doesn't drink very well when its warmed up a bit but I could see how people could love it. It's border line resinous but the malts do their best in making it a tolerable drinking experience. The roasted malts were pretty interesting in the mix.

M - Light to medium but hops were kind of out of whack.

Overall I just don't see how people could love this beer. It does pack a lot of punch for a low volume IPA but it really doesn't seem worth the high praise. Not worth the premium I paid on the grey market.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a bulbous pint glass, revealing rich amber brown body with a tall thick and active pale brown head. Nice lacing. Smells like hops of the floral, meaty sweet variety with a good and vanilla/caramel-centered malt backbone. Very promising smells.

Tastes also very meaty with a good dose of hops. Some sweetness from the malt up front, but all is overtaken by the metallic bitterness of the hops and a little tannic astringency. Clean, watery finish. Carbonation is actually barely there and needle-prick tingly for what is there. Thin, watery light body. Drinks like water too until the dryness sets in. Very drinkable.

Overall it's nice. I would like to try it fresh and on tap sometime.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Very clear and clean copper color. Big hop/floral aroma. Huge blast of hops upfront. Very grassy tasting. Quite astringent. Strong hop flavor. Nice balance between the bitterness and hop flavors. Some distinct toasted malt notes in the finish. Nice fading sweetness. Solid body-long lingering hop bite, rather dry as the sweetness fades. Definately worth a try-damn good US IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Dark orange fading up to brown toward the top, meeting with an off-white head. Smells of pine, biscuit and some floral notes. Tastes very West Coast, hop forward, a tad intense. The citrus quickly gives way to pine before opening up to a peppery accompaniment to sweet malt. A piney resin remains on the tongue with a teensy bit of toasted oat. Fairly well balanced, even considering the initial onslaught. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full bodied, though perhaps not so shocking when taking into account the thickness of the Bender I had the prior eve. Very rich, wouldn't pick this as a warm weather quencher, but its lovely for a cold day watching hockey. I enjoy it, but the Furious assault of hops is wearing out my tongue, a little heavy for not being a dipa. Still nice and warming, and again, well balanced. Big thanks to mully for the can. I'm quite happy to have another waiting in the fridge.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from the can into my Brooklyn pint glass. Got this in a trade, thanks Brad!

Pours a dark orange and red color with a one finger off yellow head that calms down after a minute or two. After a few sips, the head dissipates into a bit of foam around the edges of the glass. Good lacing as the beer is consumed down the sides of the glass.

Smells like bittering hops and a pinch of biscuity malts as the beer warms.

My first sip was greeted with a decent amount of bittering hops on the sides of the tongue. The hops were pretty much all I could taste since this one is so cold right now. As the beer warms the malty sweetness becomes a tad more apparent but is still overcasted with hops.

Mouthfeel is alright. Medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Nothing special but nothing to complain about.

Drinkability, for me, would be about average. It's a good beer, I could see how someone could really like this one but for me I really like the west coast IPA style rather than this. This is just too bitter for me to be able to drink alot of. I like my IPAs with a bit more citrusy goodness.

Overall, not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination. Just not my favorite.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured a brilliant clear copper into my glass with almost no head.

The aroma was bursting with a huge amount of earthy and citrusy hops.

The flavor of the beer was dominated by a huge amount of intense citrus flavors - grapefruit and tangerine. This beer was so hoppy it had an earthy spiciness to it. The malt profile took a backseat - way back. There were some caramel notes mixed in with the basic light maltiness you see in a lot of IPAs.

The mouthfeel seemed a little thin to me. I would've prefered a little creaminess in the beer though.

I must say that this is one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. Living near San Diego and saying that means something. I did think the hops were a bit too sharp on this beer and the drinkability suffered.

Still a very good beer and the best IPA in a can.

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a tulip pint glass.

A: Medium amber color with one finger of diminishing cinnamon-tinted foam that clings persistently to the walls after collapsing. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Abundant juicy mixed citrus with a strong grapefruit tendency. Coniferous foliage is also suggested, but not as obvious. Crystal malt also leans in. Intensity is high, while qualities are classic West Coast hops.

T: Begins off-dry, with pungent piney hop aromatics that are accompanied by dark orange citrus. Acidity is mild, still more tasted than felt, before esters start to affect the hop-derived citrus qualities. Husky crystal malt also emerges during the second act, working together with fermented savory herbaceous hop flavors to suggest moist earth by the finish. Bitterness grows slowly but steadily, becoming fairly strong by the end.

M: Medium viscosity, wet and smooth on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: This IPA has some stand-out qualities that makes it appear favorably next to a lot of other regionally-produced members of the style. The smell is strong and very much in agreement with expectations, while the texture is inspired--nearly sublime. The flavor profile could use more continuity; the dark crystal malt seen in the too-amber color weighs heavily upon the palate. Hop qualities are represented well in terms of flavor intensity, but come across as simplistic enough to keep it from the top tier.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Received in recent trade w/ a fellow IN BA. (Cheers!)
Poured from 16oz can dated 11/8/11 into imperial pint.

A: Musky grapefruit hops mingle with a malty, brown sugar sweetness. I can tell immediately that this one's going to have a strong bitter bite to it!

A: Somewhat hazy, reddish-brown body. Thick, pillowy, light tan head with excellent retention. (the foam absolutely refuses to go away...) Lacing is excellent as well.

F: Biscuity malt + grapefruit. Malt profile provides enough sweetness to balance, but drys out pretty quickly. Pungent bitterness lingers, but does not overwhelm.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Hop tannins are a tad bit drying to the palate, but this could be expected with this style.

O: A very tasty, pleasantly hoppy, complex AIPA. No flaws to speak of. Enough malt is there to provide balance, but the delicious hops punctuate this brew in typical Surly fashion.

Canned on 6.11.12

A. Poured from a tall boy can into a perfect pint glass. A big fluffy, at least an inch and a half, off-white head that does not stick around for too long. A bit of lacing. Burnt orange/amber coloring, mostly translucent with what appears to be a bit of floating sediment.

S. Surprisingly, this does not smell as I expected. Hops seems muted. Some sweet/citrus smells, but otherwise not terribly impressive

T. I am not as impressed with this as I want to be. Decent citrus hops -- grapefruit, orange. I also taste a sweet malt presence as well. This is good, but not great.

M. Slightly carbonated, not terribly smooth.

O. This is an OK beer, I'd try it again, but overall, it is not among my absolute favorites.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Pours a deep reddish brown with a 2 finger head that sticks around for quite a while and leaves a huge amount of lacing.

S- Smells consists of sweet piney hops, orange, citrus, and underlying hints of pear.

T- Taste is citrusy and acidic with a bitter hoppiness at the end. Small hints of pine.

M- Mouthfeel is actually a bit watery but extremely crisp.

D- This is highly drinkable, the fact that its creamy and slightly watery makes it go down easy with the crispness leaving you wanting more.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a clear copper color with nice head retention and sticky lacing.

Citrus and a grassy floral nose.

Bitter hops in the form of grapefruit, with some sticky resinous action too. grassy, and i'm actually surprised at how much sweet malt i notice. Don't know the age on this, but i remember it being a bit more intense in the past.

medium sticky mouthfeel.

Pretty easy to drink, But i think 1-2 is all i'd have in a sitting.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

this beer poured a brown/orange wiht two fingers of head and decent lacing.

the smell is of citrusy hops and is a bit oakey.

the tast is citrus, floral, malty sweet finish with a bit of tanginess.

the mouthfeel was velvety with low carbonation with a slightly slick finish. great for this style.

this beer would be very easy to session and is worth seeking out.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Big thanks to Lordsloth for throwing this in the Virgin BIF!

Very murky pour that seems loaded with yeast particles... Fairly small head as well...

Wonderful aroma of piney/citrus hops that is really juicy smelling... Extremely hoppy smell..

Hmmm... Well, it is a hop bomb, I will give it that. Extremely bitter and hoppy... Not sure in a good way though. Its just so dang unbalanced that I'm honestly a little disappointed. While this is probably the best smelling IPA I've ever had, its probably not even in the top 5 of tastes.. Its just too one dimensional..

I can finally say I have tried the great Furious! I'm glad I got the opportunity although I doubt I would buy this over several others that come to mind.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

Overall this was a pretty good beer, but a one trick pony. Hops hops and more hops, that seems to be the surly motto, and on that front they got there. Very nice hop nose and flavor, all american hops for sure. The taste hits you bit with hops, but finishes just a touch too bitter for my taste. Balanced is always the key to IPA's and while this is far from undrinkably bitter, it need a little more malt backbone to reach a higher level. Good, but not great. I'll likely try some more surly to see how it matches up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first can, received via trade.

Pours a nice translucent amber with little to no head. Consider lacing for the small about of carbonation.

Oh my hoppiness. This my friends is a serious IPA. I smell pale, and fresh cascade(?). Lots of pine. Boy do I want to taste this. No ABV in the smell, which is impressive for the 6.2 considering.

** The best part of the smell is it doesnt go away. Ive noticed a number of Pale/IPA types will lose smell after a minute or so.

Where did it go? I get small pale pine to start, and a nice finish. Not as heavy as the smell, but nice. Pale in the finish is good, but start isnt there. ABV is present but not bad.

Fresh yet unispiring. Though what should be expected in an AIPA? Belch is nice and hoppy, which is a good sign.

I want to call this a sipping beer on a very hot day. I say this not because of the ABV, but due to the finish. The finish is the best part, but it takes a while to appreciate.

If I saw it, id get it. I dont think I would trade for it again. I am interested in additional Surly as this is my first.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance is slightly hazy copper with red hues and a frothy orange-tan head. Good lacing. Aroma has massive pine and grapefruit hops up front along with interesting aromas of fresh cut grass and dried biscuits. Flavor is bursting with, again, massive hops like grapefruit, pine, and orange. A touch of a lemony sourness from the moderate hop bitternes but this brew is surprisingly smooth due to a decent malt bill and it's not at all harsh in the aftertaste as you will find in many mega-hopped IPA's.

Canned 1/11 and drank on 1/31

Big Thanks to StPaulSuds for this one and especially for the Abrasive!

A - Cherry red poured into a Guinness perfect pint glass. Good head retention, so so activation and lacing. I'm not used to that color in regards to most IPAs but that by no means took away from this score.

S - Subdued cold but opens up nicely as it warms. Earthy pine, the grapefruit I detect is moreso ruby red and Pineapple. Caramel malt most def there as well. I'd guess that this is equally heavy on the malt as it is the hops.

T - Matches nose pretty damn well. I'm glad this beer is fresh. I'd bet this becomes a malt bomb after 2 months or so. Just as heavy on the caramel and nutty malt as the citrus hops which is why I scored it 3.5. The citrus could have been brighter and I felt the malt played too big of a role here.

M - The only other single IPAs I've had this bitter is Wipeout and GF West Coast IPA. I could see where it could be too bitter for some but I liked it. At 99 IBU's I can see why they decided to name a single IPA Furious.

O - Good beer here but nothing to go crazy over. Just a wee bit above average when it comes to readily available single IPAs. Abrasive on the other hand...that's the one that impressed me for the DIPA style.

First had: on tap at ?

I know I had this on tap, but I can't recall where, and my notes don't mention. Poured a dark orange-brown with a modest white head. Very hoppy aroma and not much else; citrus and pine. Nice blast of hop medley flavors: orange and grapefruit, pine, and a subtle dash of herb. A smooth, earthy, malt base balances things out. Medium mouthfeel, and quite easy to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Pours a nice brown color with minimal head.

S- has a piney aroma followed by hints of grapefruit and toffee. also picking up some carmel and hops

T- Starts with a nice hop bite followed by a tiny bit of carmelsweetness and ends with a dry hoppy finish.

M-medium bodied

O-Overall i wasn't that impressed with this beer. Its a decent IPA but felt like its balance wasn't that great and it didn't have anything that made it stand out in the IPA categorie

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks a ton to speedwayjim for tossing this my way at the end of a tasting!!!

a-Poured a lush amber with a nice white frothy head in a Duvel tasting tulip glass. Left nice lacing on the glass as the head dissipated.

s-Piny sweaty hops. Smells fresh and ready to be consumed (canned in october). Some citric notes and hop forward but really juicy and nice smelling.

t-Not as good as the nose suggests. A bit on the bitter side, but extremely flavorful. Tastes like wet hops and toffee.

m/d-Rich and full. Full bodied for certain. This one is for the fans of the IPA but a bit too thick for me and a bit on the bittery side for my tastes. After feel isn't as dry as most brews that have this bitterness. Enjoyable, but not something I'd drink all night long, but then again, I'm not a hop-head.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a glowing deep orange pekoe tea. Large, thick, sticky head, leaves slowly. Sticky lacing abounds.

S - I get pine and then citrus hops, undertow of sweet malt.

T - Sweet malt and hop standard. Pretty good, yet - seems like its going to slam dunk you, but kinda fades away. Was expecting more at the finish, I guess.

M - Fair carb, medium body, fair coating. Creamy, maybe too creamy for me. See bottom comment.

D - Nice beer, could have a few.

All in all, it felt like this could have been an INCREDIBLE beer, but something I am unable to describe was missing. I thought it a little too creamy, or not crisp enough, or not enough middle malt base. I can't figure it out. Still, a pretty nice beer!

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a dark ruby amber into my Nonic. Head rises a bit and settles quickly.

Aromas is light and sweet with a light hoppy presence.

Hits the palate smooth and sweet - quickly transitioning into a strongly bitter hops that transitions to dryness all over keeping the bitter to the end.

This one is a bit thin on the mouth but just about right for the brew. Could drink more than a few of these boys.

Thx for the opportunity - pretty good and all but missing something. Maybe it needs something to transition to that bitter edge. It just does not do it all for me.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a can with a package date of 3-2-11 into my bells tulip.

A- very dark for an ipa. Caramel brown with layers of reddish orange. Half finger white head that is shrinking to Madagascar size island of white wispy cap. Moderate freckle lacing left behind

S- hops swimming in hop oil with a life raft of breads and dark toffee. Some gritty grapefruit mixed with Ginger.

T- resin of hops hits the mouth accompanied by some yeasty malt flavor. Hops try to steal the show on the finish but are joined by buttered toast.

M- I would say light bodied with a thin watery feel. Slight hop tingle quickly becomes a watery light apparition. Flavor is left in limbo I'm the palate

Overall a good ipa that brings some balance to the style but marginalized the main performer, the hops. A good drinker

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Robtobfest for this can! 16oz can, bottom stamped "Canned on 6/14/11."

Pours a deep dark amber with creamy light tan head that has great retention and leaves sheeting, not lacing! Nose is dominated by pine-centric hops, and some citrus comes out after a spell. Palate is snappy and bitter, but also creamy from both the carbonation level and the malt. The "scottish malt" makes this feel like an Imperial Red. Citrus plus amber malt/mulch flavors. Pleasantly bitter but I find it hard to believe that it's 99 IBUs.

Excellent canned option for hop fanatics!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company