Microbrew Invitational

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,487 | Ratings: 5,315
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Big thanks to deliriumfest for the hook up.

Two tone caramel bronze fluid under a thick bubbly white head. Spotty lace.

Big smell, prominent malts, but good hops presence as well. Really nice scent.

Taste comes on slow, like a hurricane, but the end is like putting a 9-volt battery on your tongue. It is furious. Got a grassy, tea leave quality to it. Not the best tasting IPA ever, solid though.

Medium body or just under. Carbonation is minimal, giving it a "down the hatch" feel.

I would have no problems drinking this all day.

Overall: I'm drinking the next one out the can

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Got this as an extra in a trade with stevef03, thank you! Color looks like the inside of a plum. Theres floaties like crazy! Very strong peach smell on the nose, some grapefruit, orange, and hops. Upon tasting, once again, peach is very dominant, followed by other citrus notes, however this was not near as hoppy as I would have expected from an IPA. More smooth than bitter. Very creamy mouthfeel for an IPA, I like it! . I thought this was a very nice IPA that I could drink all the time.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

A 17 day-old pint can poured into my DFH Signature Glass. I now know the DFH Signature Glass holds exactly 16 ounces.

A: A very dark amber, which is more apparent when held to the light. I've never seen such a dark IPA. A one finger head settles atop the beer, hanging around for a while.

S: Sweet citrus and juicy pineapple dominate the nose. Some fresh hops are detectable, but they sit in the back compared to the fruity notes. Hints of light malt also play into the sweet nose.

T: Fresh hops come at you upfront, with a bready malt strongly present mid-sip. The finish is bitterness and pine from the hops, with light citrus also noticeable. There's very little of the fruitiness present in the nose-mostly just some citrus mid-sip and in the finish. There's a lot more maltiness than I would have guessed.

M: Fairly light with medium-low carbonation. Fine, not too impressive.

O: Good, and very sessionable IMO, but a touch underwhelming. While the hops are fresh, there're one dimensional with a slightly too-strong malt presence.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a dark cloudy amber color.Nice off white heading about a half inch thick. Decent lacing not to clingy.

Smell does have a malty kick upfront and quickly followed up with a heavy piney aroma.

Taste is great. Very well balanced with some big toasted notes and toffee. Just as your settling in the bigger citrus and piney hops take over for a strong bitter finish.There are some lighter fruity notes mixed in as well very subtle though.

Mouth is medium bodied,decent carbonation and somewhat watery.An overall decent mouthfeel.

A good IPA but overhyped in my book.
Thanks to shir0045 for the trade.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

After having on tap several times and being underwhelmed, I tried this one again and came away with a more positive review.

Look: Reddish/amber hue with a white head.

Smell: Not overly hoppy and some malt smell is present. More piney than fruity.

Taste: Bitter at first but more malty as it goes down. Very well balanced. The hops and malt do not overshadow each other on this one.

Feel: Smooth, with very little bite on the back-end. Medium-bodied and went down easy.

Overall: For me, just missing on the level of the top-tier IPAs, but still very good. I think the maltiness sets it back a notch for me.

from 16oz can:

A: murky golden, brown with white head that fades quickly. 3.5

S: mmhops. pine, spruce, citrus, honey malt sweetness, and then more hops. 4

T: grapefruit hop bitterness, a bit of pineapple, then some caramel/honey malt sweetness. either a big ipa or a faded dipa. lots of bitterness and lots of the same flavors as from the smells. 4

M: medium bodied, foamy but not astringent, easy drinking. 3.5

O: decent ipa, esp from a can. a bit one dimensional but nicely done overall 4.0

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Side by side with Furious on-tap at a Surly tapping at Churchkey in DC. Centennial hops lend their leafy selves to the beer inside the cask.

A: Hazy yellow orange pour with a finger of bubbly white head. The retention isn't as good as the on-tap offering was, but the haziness of the body makes up for it.

S: The aroma is a littler more sweet, with the fruit playing a bigger role. Citrus mostly with only a slight pine note.

T: When I think about a word to describe the taste...it's muted. Fruit forward, dry and bitter as an afterthought. Mostly all citrus. It does have a clean finish.

MF: Heavy body for an American IPA, with a below average carbonation (obviously, this beer was in the cask!). Sort of bitter with a dry finish. It was stil pretty drinkable, however, you just didn't get a lot of flavor.

O: A bit disappointed. The hops in the cask don't really add any real discernable difference in flavor, sadly. It was good, just not as good as the tap version. Probably would skip this next time.

Thanks NorthYorkSammy!
Pours fairly flat, but still manages a decent response upon swirling. A copper amber colour. A great hop balance - citruis, toffee malt, and pine (like the can says). Some considerably heavy bitterness. A fantastic finish, smooth, and great drinkability. All in all though it's hard to find much to say. Lots of room for improvement, overall fairly on par with the other worthwhile IPA offerings.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance:

The beer pours an amber reddish hue when I hold it up to the light. I'm getting a nice clear view through my pint glass and which I poured all 16oz of the can straight on and got a nice bubbly head maybe two fingers thick but it quickly went down to about a quarter inch. As i give it a generous swirl I am not seeing much lacing on the glass.

Smell:

Wow Wow Wow ! amazing nose of hops just jump out of the glass to come and great you, no wait to come and burn down your nose hairs ! I'm getting a huge piny nose, almost sappy aroma, with hints of pineapple. Maybe I might loose you on this next one but this is really giving me a vibe of lemony / pine-sol smell. Hm mm weird.

Taste:

Well the first thing I notice is there really isn't much carbonation on the mouth feel as I first would have predicted. Its rather flat and slick in the mouth. But let me move onto the hops, which like in the aroma take front seat. If you like pine.. this is it, it makes me wonder if they used Simcoe hops during the production. The tip of your tongue seems to pick up all the citrus notes off the hops while your throat leaves you with a long finish that makes you want to come back for more.

Drinkability:

Overall, this beer was good. I got lots of hops which I was not expecting especially from a canned beer, as well as lots of caramel malty goodness to balance out all the pine going on.
If you enjoy a good burly American IPA this beer is amazing. I really am glad I got a chance to try this .

3.91/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from can into Duvel Tulip

A - medium to dark amber color. Huge off white head with dense tiny bubbles. Impressive lacing as it begins to slowly subside.

S - piney, woodsy, buttery aromas all intermingle. Not a huge nose, but very inviting.

T - Much stronger piney hops in the taste. There is nice balance but I taste a slight metallic twinge. Not sure if its due to the can, or my preconceptions of canned beer. Regardless its not overpowering. A nice bitterness lingers. Not an overly complex IPA by any means but the flavor makes you want more.

M - light to medium on the mouthfeel. Creamy for an IPA but still manages to be balanced.

O - Glad to have tried this again, and wish I had more regular access to all of Surly's offerings. Its not my favorite IPA but I think it represents the Great Lakes region very well against the better known west coast offerings. This is an IPA that I would never turn down and wouldnt hesitate to purchase if I could find it. Looking forward to trying their IIPA next hopefully.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark orange with a nice frothy head.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops. There some caramel-like malt in there to provide the backbone, but this one is definitely all about one ingredient.

T/M: Someone below mentioned it tasting like they dug up the entire tree and put it in here, which is an apt comparison. A lot of different hops going on here. The flavors a pretty clean and balanced, and there isn't too much of a lingering bitterness.

D: Even though it's not high in abv I probably couldn't drink too much of this. Pretty intense stuff.

I'm not a hop-head, so this one was a little intense for my tastes. But overall if this a very good IPA. Glad I got to try it.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Loved this one. Not sure if I liked it more than Abrasive. I would have to drink lots more:] to be sure. I love these canned beers!! This one had fantastic citrus with grapefuit, and some pinyness. Awesome hops! I only with I could get this on the regular with some abrasive. Nice job surly.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very sweet tones on the nose of honey, caramel, watermelon, tropical fruits and grapefruit. There is some dank herbal hop notes as well.

The flavor is a bit dank and bitter for my taste but I can appreciate the array of herbal hops with the occasion fruits. The fruitiness tends to grapefruit and tangerines but for the most part it's dank.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Poured a light amber color, nice lacing. A bit darker than your typical IPA,but appealing nonetheless
S-A touch of grapefruit and maybe...pineapple? Smell was more subtle than I was expecting, though as it warmed, it became slightly more pronounced
T/M-A touch of bitter grapefruit and malty sweetness. A decent balance. It left the palate cleanly enough.

Overall, I found this to be a very good IPA, but I think I was expecting more. It was very highly rated and perhaps my expectations were much too high for this product. Also, it should be noted that in the same month I had SN Hoptimum, Bells Two Hearted, Bells Hopslam, and Stone Arrogant Bastard. While this was a nice beer, it did not rate with the aforementioned products.

Thanks Mark!

1 Pint of beer in a can. Bottom of the can reveals that this was canned on 02/14/12. I tip my hat to Surly for supplying us with freshness indicator.

Pours a reddish-brown color (quite dark for an Ipa). The cream colored head stood an impressive two fingers tall following the pour. When you hold it to the light, it's a beautiful red color. Plenty of lacing on the glass.

The aroma has hints of pine, grapefruit, and malts, but it's on the mellow side for the style.

Taste features a nice balance of hops and malt up front. There's definitely some earthy flavors that follow, which I almost expected after I saw how dark this was. I hate to say it (and I know that some will disagree), but I'm getting a sort of metallic taste that I've experience while drinking other canned beers. The hop bitterness lingers a bit on the back end making for a nice finish.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate....approaching high carbonation.

A nice Ipa, but for me, it didn't live up to the hype overall.

Morey's Bottom Line: I've been waiting to try this for quite some time, and I'm a bit disappointed. It's still a good beer, and I would definitely drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way. I''m a much bigger fan of citrus forward IPAs. This is more in the vein of earthy ones such as Great Divide Titan or Ballast Point Big Eye.

16 ounce can

Looked nice, coppery color, white head, lots of sticky lace.

Smelled hoppy, citrus hops mostly. some malt sweetness in the nose as well.

Taste was a bitter citrus hop flavor which was not balanced much. There is some sweet malt, but definitely a hop heavy IPA.

The mouthfeel was pretty thick and mouth coating with lots of oily hops on the tongue.

This one was easy to drink. Went down easy although I would more prefer a bit of balance I would drink this one all night long if that was an option.

Can (10/18/2012) to Troegs Pint glass

A: Orangey amber color nearing brown with a medium size tan head that is completely translucent

S: some floral hops but not very strong there is also a presence of malt not much else there and the smell is not very pungent without much else there.

T: there is a hop taste to start but not all that much there. However, there is a decent presence of malt there is a harsh taste of bitterness but it is fairly well balanced due to the fact that it is somewhat watered down.

M: crisp with a light hint of carbonation, but it is pretty thin to the point were like I said its watered down though it is pretty drinkable and there is no hint of alcohol

O: Solid ipa balanced but not well, easy to drink looks okay though it could have a better smell too it. Good, but it didn't blow me away I'd try it again though I wouldn't go out of the way for it though if it was fresher it could be better. Still it is a good offering from Surly, but Abrasive blows this away in my opinion.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

3/29/11 date, drunk on 6/5/11 so about 2 months old. Poured the full can into a big Duvel tulip. The beer was a rich amber color, with a frothy two fingers of billowing fluffy cream colored foam. The head stuck around for awhile, clinging to the side of the glass tightly as it receded.

The smell was pleasant, but not overly intense. Light floral aroma with sweet citrus notes. The taste was a step up from the nose - sweet maltiness up front, followed by pineapple and grapefruit frutiness, finishing with a well balanced piney bitterness.

The beer had a creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel with medium-high amount of carbonation. Overall, a very tasty IPA that; if it was local & readilly available I would definately pick it up regularly.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

16oz can that I split with a friend on a lazy Sunday afternoon. The beer was a very dark amber-orange, almost brown. The head was decent and off-white. The taste was very bitter but delicious. Not much fruit flavor but I think I detected a small amount of pine. Overall, this was a pretty good beer.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

It's a rising brewery, this is a good American style IPA, but what's the fuss? Unbalanced, can-conditioned, great aroma c-hoppy with bubbly head and grapefruity body, carbonation and mouthfeel average. A hophead feed, but I have had higher IBU that is more drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

The hop party is in full swing and fully apparent in the first swig of this red.

The bubbles are crisp at first with a bit of a tinge on the tongue but become very microscopic as this brew mellows in the ambient temperatures of the cave sweeten the sugars.

The rich copper malts with tart berry and dark chocolate notes bolster the bright earthy hops leaving a loooong cascading finish that can be a bit challenging to deal with.

A very medium bodied and powerful brew. A bit of a medicinal note early on. Weird. Maybe the yeast...

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Enjoyed on-tap w/ ChrisF @ the Surly Brewing Company's Darkness Day 2011 in Brooklyn Center, MN for $5. Tapped from the black and plain handle into a 12oz Surly Cup.

Aroma- Huge citrusy aroma and definitely throws a punch at your nose! Grassy notes are in here as well. Great for the style!

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger, bubbly head that stays for a bit of time. Has a dark copper body with orange tint in here. Leaves decent lacing behind, surprisingly.

Flavor- Has an extreme hop flavor that I'm not too thrilled about... WAY Too much bitterness and over emphasis on the hop flavor and not enough citrus and malt character. If you do want hop for breakfast or lunch, this is for you!

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and hop takes over the mouth. Not anything I would be able to finish in a short period of time.

Overall Impression- A WAY too viscous brew for the day I'm about to have here.... Let ChrisF enjoyed some of mine as well since I wanted to go through many more brews. A good one, just not the amount of hop in an IPA I wanted at the time....

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to Chambic for hooking Cavery and me up with this in a recent trade! Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Pours a deep amber with very red hues. Not uncommon to have darker IPAs but this one really comes off strikingly red, and is pretty dark for a single IPA. A one finger head sits on top of the beer very comfortable with nice construction. Lacing is a little sparse but doesn't alarm me.

S: This smells delicious. A nice pine/resiny/citrus hop aroma with classical but very natural tropical fruits butting in. This honestly smells like a top-class IPA.

T: A furious hop attack in the beginning with a tad of burn but mostly good pine character. Was expecting it to fade into the sweeter parts of the nose but instead it just sort of fades away completely leaving a little lasting burn and bitterness on the tongue. I have to say, the taste was a huge let down after the nose. Not a bad initial taste but pretty much drops off a cliff after that.

M: Mouthfeel actually reminds me of applejuice: a water like viscosity, just a little smoother and a little thicker. I felt like this beer flattened out pretty quickly into the drink, and my initial sips were much more generously carbonated than the others not too long after. Definitely room for improvement in the mouthfeel.

O: Definitely this beer had the indications and some traits of a truly magnificent IPA, but it really let down at some critical points, primarily the taste development and mouthfeel. Surly is definitely on to something here and the initial hop attack of this beer is one of the most aggressively tasty hop hits I've experienced, but this one definitely could use another trip to the laboratory if it wants a shot at true greatness. All in all though, glad I got to try this and not sure I'd turn down the chance to have it again.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

A- Solid deep amber color, quarter finger head.

S- Citrusy/piney hop aroma with a pretty decent maltyness in the background.

T- Piney almost solventlike hop character asserts itself imediately. The balancing malt is very deep which brings about a heavyness which tends to try and muscle out the hop flavors. The result is as though two blowharts got into an arguement and just kept getting louder and louder. Finish is pretty smooth, as though the bouncer threw those two out on thier ass.

M- Medium bodied with some solid mildly fizzy carbonation.

D- Not bad at all, but I'm not driving up to Minnesota of anything.

As an IPA, I didn't really like this. It was enjoyable however as I would of put it in the American Strong category myself. As a big, somewhat in your face beer : good. As a balanced IPA : not so much.

3.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Amber with 2 fingers of head
S - pine, fruity, grapefruit
T - tastes similar to the smell, very malty to me, bitter
M - very smooth, juicy, bitter
O - a pretty good IPA. not my favorite, maybe it was the maltiness of the beer.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company