Join our email list →

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

American IPA | 6.60% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,474 | Hads: 5,230
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark orange with a nice frothy head.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops. There some caramel-like malt in there to provide the backbone, but this one is definitely all about one ingredient.

T/M: Someone below mentioned it tasting like they dug up the entire tree and put it in here, which is an apt comparison. A lot of different hops going on here. The flavors a pretty clean and balanced, and there isn't too much of a lingering bitterness.

D: Even though it's not high in abv I probably couldn't drink too much of this. Pretty intense stuff.

I'm not a hop-head, so this one was a little intense for my tastes. But overall if this a very good IPA. Glad I got to try it.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Loved this one. Not sure if I liked it more than Abrasive. I would have to drink lots more:] to be sure. I love these canned beers!! This one had fantastic citrus with grapefuit, and some pinyness. Awesome hops! I only with I could get this on the regular with some abrasive. Nice job surly.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very sweet tones on the nose of honey, caramel, watermelon, tropical fruits and grapefruit. There is some dank herbal hop notes as well.

The flavor is a bit dank and bitter for my taste but I can appreciate the array of herbal hops with the occasion fruits. The fruitiness tends to grapefruit and tangerines but for the most part it's dank.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Poured a light amber color, nice lacing. A bit darker than your typical IPA,but appealing nonetheless
S-A touch of grapefruit and maybe...pineapple? Smell was more subtle than I was expecting, though as it warmed, it became slightly more pronounced
T/M-A touch of bitter grapefruit and malty sweetness. A decent balance. It left the palate cleanly enough.

Overall, I found this to be a very good IPA, but I think I was expecting more. It was very highly rated and perhaps my expectations were much too high for this product. Also, it should be noted that in the same month I had SN Hoptimum, Bells Two Hearted, Bells Hopslam, and Stone Arrogant Bastard. While this was a nice beer, it did not rate with the aforementioned products.

Thanks Mark!

1 Pint of beer in a can. Bottom of the can reveals that this was canned on 02/14/12. I tip my hat to Surly for supplying us with freshness indicator.

Pours a reddish-brown color (quite dark for an Ipa). The cream colored head stood an impressive two fingers tall following the pour. When you hold it to the light, it's a beautiful red color. Plenty of lacing on the glass.

The aroma has hints of pine, grapefruit, and malts, but it's on the mellow side for the style.

Taste features a nice balance of hops and malt up front. There's definitely some earthy flavors that follow, which I almost expected after I saw how dark this was. I hate to say it (and I know that some will disagree), but I'm getting a sort of metallic taste that I've experience while drinking other canned beers. The hop bitterness lingers a bit on the back end making for a nice finish.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate....approaching high carbonation.

A nice Ipa, but for me, it didn't live up to the hype overall.

Morey's Bottom Line: I've been waiting to try this for quite some time, and I'm a bit disappointed. It's still a good beer, and I would definitely drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way. I''m a much bigger fan of citrus forward IPAs. This is more in the vein of earthy ones such as Great Divide Titan or Ballast Point Big Eye.

16 ounce can

Looked nice, coppery color, white head, lots of sticky lace.

Smelled hoppy, citrus hops mostly. some malt sweetness in the nose as well.

Taste was a bitter citrus hop flavor which was not balanced much. There is some sweet malt, but definitely a hop heavy IPA.

The mouthfeel was pretty thick and mouth coating with lots of oily hops on the tongue.

This one was easy to drink. Went down easy although I would more prefer a bit of balance I would drink this one all night long if that was an option.

Can (10/18/2012) to Troegs Pint glass

A: Orangey amber color nearing brown with a medium size tan head that is completely translucent

S: some floral hops but not very strong there is also a presence of malt not much else there and the smell is not very pungent without much else there.

T: there is a hop taste to start but not all that much there. However, there is a decent presence of malt there is a harsh taste of bitterness but it is fairly well balanced due to the fact that it is somewhat watered down.

M: crisp with a light hint of carbonation, but it is pretty thin to the point were like I said its watered down though it is pretty drinkable and there is no hint of alcohol

O: Solid ipa balanced but not well, easy to drink looks okay though it could have a better smell too it. Good, but it didn't blow me away I'd try it again though I wouldn't go out of the way for it though if it was fresher it could be better. Still it is a good offering from Surly, but Abrasive blows this away in my opinion.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

3/29/11 date, drunk on 6/5/11 so about 2 months old. Poured the full can into a big Duvel tulip. The beer was a rich amber color, with a frothy two fingers of billowing fluffy cream colored foam. The head stuck around for awhile, clinging to the side of the glass tightly as it receded.

The smell was pleasant, but not overly intense. Light floral aroma with sweet citrus notes. The taste was a step up from the nose - sweet maltiness up front, followed by pineapple and grapefruit frutiness, finishing with a well balanced piney bitterness.

The beer had a creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel with medium-high amount of carbonation. Overall, a very tasty IPA that; if it was local & readilly available I would definately pick it up regularly.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

16oz can that I split with a friend on a lazy Sunday afternoon. The beer was a very dark amber-orange, almost brown. The head was decent and off-white. The taste was very bitter but delicious. Not much fruit flavor but I think I detected a small amount of pine. Overall, this was a pretty good beer.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

It's a rising brewery, this is a good American style IPA, but what's the fuss? Unbalanced, can-conditioned, great aroma c-hoppy with bubbly head and grapefruity body, carbonation and mouthfeel average. A hophead feed, but I have had higher IBU that is more drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

The hop party is in full swing and fully apparent in the first swig of this red.

The bubbles are crisp at first with a bit of a tinge on the tongue but become very microscopic as this brew mellows in the ambient temperatures of the cave sweeten the sugars.

The rich copper malts with tart berry and dark chocolate notes bolster the bright earthy hops leaving a loooong cascading finish that can be a bit challenging to deal with.

A very medium bodied and powerful brew. A bit of a medicinal note early on. Weird. Maybe the yeast...

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Enjoyed on-tap w/ ChrisF @ the Surly Brewing Company's Darkness Day 2011 in Brooklyn Center, MN for $5. Tapped from the black and plain handle into a 12oz Surly Cup.

Aroma- Huge citrusy aroma and definitely throws a punch at your nose! Grassy notes are in here as well. Great for the style!

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger, bubbly head that stays for a bit of time. Has a dark copper body with orange tint in here. Leaves decent lacing behind, surprisingly.

Flavor- Has an extreme hop flavor that I'm not too thrilled about... WAY Too much bitterness and over emphasis on the hop flavor and not enough citrus and malt character. If you do want hop for breakfast or lunch, this is for you!

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and hop takes over the mouth. Not anything I would be able to finish in a short period of time.

Overall Impression- A WAY too viscous brew for the day I'm about to have here.... Let ChrisF enjoyed some of mine as well since I wanted to go through many more brews. A good one, just not the amount of hop in an IPA I wanted at the time....

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to Chambic for hooking Cavery and me up with this in a recent trade! Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Pours a deep amber with very red hues. Not uncommon to have darker IPAs but this one really comes off strikingly red, and is pretty dark for a single IPA. A one finger head sits on top of the beer very comfortable with nice construction. Lacing is a little sparse but doesn't alarm me.

S: This smells delicious. A nice pine/resiny/citrus hop aroma with classical but very natural tropical fruits butting in. This honestly smells like a top-class IPA.

T: A furious hop attack in the beginning with a tad of burn but mostly good pine character. Was expecting it to fade into the sweeter parts of the nose but instead it just sort of fades away completely leaving a little lasting burn and bitterness on the tongue. I have to say, the taste was a huge let down after the nose. Not a bad initial taste but pretty much drops off a cliff after that.

M: Mouthfeel actually reminds me of applejuice: a water like viscosity, just a little smoother and a little thicker. I felt like this beer flattened out pretty quickly into the drink, and my initial sips were much more generously carbonated than the others not too long after. Definitely room for improvement in the mouthfeel.

O: Definitely this beer had the indications and some traits of a truly magnificent IPA, but it really let down at some critical points, primarily the taste development and mouthfeel. Surly is definitely on to something here and the initial hop attack of this beer is one of the most aggressively tasty hop hits I've experienced, but this one definitely could use another trip to the laboratory if it wants a shot at true greatness. All in all though, glad I got to try this and not sure I'd turn down the chance to have it again.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

A- Solid deep amber color, quarter finger head.

S- Citrusy/piney hop aroma with a pretty decent maltyness in the background.

T- Piney almost solventlike hop character asserts itself imediately. The balancing malt is very deep which brings about a heavyness which tends to try and muscle out the hop flavors. The result is as though two blowharts got into an arguement and just kept getting louder and louder. Finish is pretty smooth, as though the bouncer threw those two out on thier ass.

M- Medium bodied with some solid mildly fizzy carbonation.

D- Not bad at all, but I'm not driving up to Minnesota of anything.

As an IPA, I didn't really like this. It was enjoyable however as I would of put it in the American Strong category myself. As a big, somewhat in your face beer : good. As a balanced IPA : not so much.

3.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Amber with 2 fingers of head
S - pine, fruity, grapefruit
T - tastes similar to the smell, very malty to me, bitter
M - very smooth, juicy, bitter
O - a pretty good IPA. not my favorite, maybe it was the maltiness of the beer.

LOOK.
Pours a deep ruby red. Lace is sticky to the near-finish.

AROMA.
Citrus peel, uncooked malt.

BODY.
Medium w/ a supportive carbonation.

FLAVOR.
Pine and hints of caramel and biscuit in the start. Quickly makes way for hops which impart an assertive citrus character. The bitterness is prominent without being astringent or resiny.

AFTERMATH.
For me, the last couple of sips contain the slightest suggestion of peach. Not one I would session, but I could certainly imagine popping the top on one of these after, say, an long afternoon stroll.

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from dated can May 5th 2011 into a nonic pint glass.

Stupidly creamy off white/tan head. I mean stupidly it looks like cream is coming out and the consistency is unreal. That large head settles and gives some clump but not lacing. It sits on a nice orange amber body that is slightly cloudy somewhat see through. no rising carbonation from the bottom. This beer looks like hot sex.

Bouquet is basic and solid but almost a one trick pony. Simple orange fruit and airy hop feel. Some spice, but no sense of anything else even, not even malt. Somewhat piny...

Hop orange citrus comes through in the taste, but there is also a distinct taste and sense of brown bread, almost dark bread crust. Body though is a bit thin and watery which is a little disappointing. Piny dryness in the palate after swallowing and a hardly hint of sugar.

Well glad I tried it, but it's certainly not my favorite American IPA but can do no problem.

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours a caramel color with a white head - quite pretty. It seems that the two canned beers at our IPA tasting (this and Red Racer) were some of the prettiest in terms of color.

S. Lots of malt in the nose.

T. Fairly malty - not a terribly hoppy IPA.

M. Somewhat thin with medium carbonation.

D. Very drinkable.

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

I am a big fan of the pale ale category of beer. IPAs and APAs both are a favorite of mine. Because of that, I rate this beer fairly high but it lacked some of the punch of my favorite pale ales so I cannot put it quite at the top of my list.

The appearance in the glass was a copper, cloudy look. It was almost opaque. The initial smell was the familiar smell of citrus, hops and pine that I am used to with a pale ale. When I took a sip, I instantly felt a hoppy kick before I even swallowed. The reason that I can't quite put this brew at the top of my pale ale list was that when I took a drink, there was just a bit of a watery feel mixed in with the grapefruit/pine hoppiness. Since it lacked this little something, it isn't the best pale ale I've had but it is extremely drinkable so I hope to get more of this beer.

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from jeffkrenner. Mucho thanks goes out to him.
Served chilled and poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance is very good. Deep amber color with a little bit of haziness. Nice head forms with tons of lacing.

Smell is above-average. Grapefruit hop and caramel malt jump out. More subdued than i was expecting.

Taste is above-average. Grapefruit hops are present but I'm getting more bittering hops. Caramel malt bill is in the background and balances things out nicely. Again, much more subdued that i was expecting. To be honest, this tastes more like a hoppy/Imperial Red Ale.

Mouthfeel is very good. Perfect amount of carbonation for the style. Creamy and fluffy on the pallet. Feels great going down the hatch.

Drinakbility is very good. Another one or two would be welcome.

Overall:
A nice IPA from Surly. Maybe i was expecting more punch in the flavor and smell department but by no means am i disappointed. A highly sessionable brew.

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

16 oz can poured into snifter.

A: very hazy dark orange. decent head. nice lacing.
S: not a very strong scent. spicy. not getting any pine or citrus.
T: very bitter. bready/biscuity. not hint of sweetness. not very balanced. like the flavor of the hop profile, but would prefer a little more balance. slight pine oiliness.
M: very creamy mouthfeel. thick for a regular ipa, but i think this is definitely a good thing. outstanding.
O: enjoyed it and it stands up to about any regular ipa i can buy locally, but i was still disappointed due to the hype. easy to drink and not overpoweringly bitter by any means, but not as balanced as i prefer.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Just from the look of it I could tell this beer was going to be a dank hop experience. A dark amber brown with a 1/2 inch of the bubbly stuff and tons of micro floats in the glass.

S - Dank resinous hops next to some roasted and caramel malts. To sum up assertive.

T - Well its bitter and doesn't drink very well when its warmed up a bit but I could see how people could love it. It's border line resinous but the malts do their best in making it a tolerable drinking experience. The roasted malts were pretty interesting in the mix.

M - Light to medium but hops were kind of out of whack.

Overall I just don't see how people could love this beer. It does pack a lot of punch for a low volume IPA but it really doesn't seem worth the high praise. Not worth the premium I paid on the grey market.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a bulbous pint glass, revealing rich amber brown body with a tall thick and active pale brown head. Nice lacing. Smells like hops of the floral, meaty sweet variety with a good and vanilla/caramel-centered malt backbone. Very promising smells.

Tastes also very meaty with a good dose of hops. Some sweetness from the malt up front, but all is overtaken by the metallic bitterness of the hops and a little tannic astringency. Clean, watery finish. Carbonation is actually barely there and needle-prick tingly for what is there. Thin, watery light body. Drinks like water too until the dryness sets in. Very drinkable.

Overall it's nice. I would like to try it fresh and on tap sometime.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Very clear and clean copper color. Big hop/floral aroma. Huge blast of hops upfront. Very grassy tasting. Quite astringent. Strong hop flavor. Nice balance between the bitterness and hop flavors. Some distinct toasted malt notes in the finish. Nice fading sweetness. Solid body-long lingering hop bite, rather dry as the sweetness fades. Definately worth a try-damn good US IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Dark orange fading up to brown toward the top, meeting with an off-white head. Smells of pine, biscuit and some floral notes. Tastes very West Coast, hop forward, a tad intense. The citrus quickly gives way to pine before opening up to a peppery accompaniment to sweet malt. A piney resin remains on the tongue with a teensy bit of toasted oat. Fairly well balanced, even considering the initial onslaught. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full bodied, though perhaps not so shocking when taking into account the thickness of the Bender I had the prior eve. Very rich, wouldn't pick this as a warm weather quencher, but its lovely for a cold day watching hockey. I enjoy it, but the Furious assault of hops is wearing out my tongue, a little heavy for not being a dipa. Still nice and warming, and again, well balanced. Big thanks to mully for the can. I'm quite happy to have another waiting in the fridge.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company