Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,428
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)

I had this beer in a bar and given my scores compared to everyone elses, I must have had something else?....but I double checked and the waitress insured me it was Furious.

This beer had the appearance of "mudwater", I half expected to see a carp in the glass. I see now why it is packaged in a can.

I love a very hoppy beer and generally put 8-10oz of Centennial in my 5 gallon batches of American Ale. Sure, this beer was heavily hopped, but the hops did not complement one another nor did it complement the beer.

The malt in the beer seemed weak/watered down, there was very little "mouth feel" for a beer with such a high ether content.

The taste and smell was like old gym socks as a result of an improper yeast/hop/malt combination....or there was contamination in the brewing cycle.

I've brewed since the mid 80's and sure I have made some creative disasters myself. In my life I have refused to drink 2 commercial beers, one was a Miller someone bought me and the other was this Surley Furious. Want a good hoppy beer, try a bells Two Hearted Ale, or better yet, make your own :-)

ScottGJ, Apr 03, 2012

simi46, Nov 18, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -36.3%

King_KongDCO93, Dec 19, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -35.2%

Acquired a can of this thanks to tytoanderso. Caramel orange with nice white head. Smells like crazy amounts of hops, and I was also getting a touch of cat urine, which was a bit off-putting. Taste is more crazy abundant amounts of hops. There's a decent amount of malts to balance this out, but the excessive amount of hops just crowds everything else out. With lots of other great beer to drink last night, we didn't even finish a can of this split between three people.

waltonc, Jan 11, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Had this on two different occasions, on tap both times. Did not want to review on my first time as I did not like it, and wanted to be sure before.

It is a hazy brew, colored somewhere between orange, brown and yellow, appears thicker than it feels. Minimal head.
Aroma is a sign of what is to come, an intense hoppiness with almost exclusively citric notes.
Medium bodied, with an intense, overwhelming hoppiness, with malts nowhere to be found. A bitter assault that unfortunately, IMHO, left a lot to be desired as no other flavors can be noticed. Markedly inferio to regular Furious.

brdc, May 04, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -33.3%

thanks to darthkostrizer for opening it at a bottle share.

rust in color with a small white head that dissipated quickly leaving minimal lacing

decent aroma, i get some mangos/floral

taste not to much here, mildly foral and hoppy with mangos

light bodied medium carbonation, leave a dry mouth.

overall the nose was the best part of this beer, wasn't much in the taste. a bit of a let down here

rtaps, Feb 01, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Clear, medium copper colored, liquid. A little more than a finger of light tan foam for a head. Retention is really good and lacing is thick and in a solid ring.
Really a great looking brew.

Hops. Big pine hops. Lush tropical/citrus hops. Just overflowing with the floral bouquet of hops.
A very light hint of caramel malts.
Smells completely out of balance.

I'm shocked. It tastes like hops.
This is such a harsh hops bitterness. I can tell that there are some caramel malt notes in there, but just when they come forward, the hops leapfrog right over them and attack your pallette.
This is way too far out of balance, for me.

The mouth is crisp and sharp with a slight touch of creaminess.

If you love hops, this is definitely one to search for. Like you didn't know that, already, though. If you haven't had it, get it.
The very definition of the term 'hop-bomb'.
If you don't absolutely love hops, this is probably not for you.

coldmeat23, Feb 05, 2009

Appearance: Dirty ruby-orange body with lots of carbonation and a head that just won’t quit. The beige crown is exceptionally thick both in dimension and in density. This froth reminds me of a trick a Czech broad taught me years ago when I was staying with her in France. If one could balance a small coin, the pre-Euro Czech equivalent to the dime on the head of a beer for ten seconds, then the beer was good. Well this beer looks like its froth could balance a half dollar for a minute!

Aroma: Pine tree forest soaked in butter toffee. I can smell bitterness to the point where my eyes are watering. Some fruity esters of pineapple and touches of citrus. Pine really dominates.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Painful. Furious is one of the most antagonistic and rancorous beers to have4 ever touched my lips. It hurts to drink. The body is so dry that I started to get a dehydration headache after a few gulps. To make matters worse, it seemed to fry my taste buds so that after the first sip or two I couldn’t really taste the beer, save a vague pine quality and the presence of acrid citrus. Big, huge, bitterness and hop presence but not in a good way for me. I can see why others love this but this is just too bitter and unbalanced for my liking and therefore not drinkable in the slightest.

Thanks to Jeff Krenner for the 4-packs.

Side Note: I had the tea-bagged Furious on cask and liked it much more than the regular.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 24, 2007