Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,503
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,447 | Hads: 5,053

I had this beer in a bar and given my scores compared to everyone elses, I must have had something else?....but I double checked and the waitress insured me it was Furious.

This beer had the appearance of "mudwater", I half expected to see a carp in the glass. I see now why it is packaged in a can.

I love a very hoppy beer and generally put 8-10oz of Centennial in my 5 gallon batches of American Ale. Sure, this beer was heavily hopped, but the hops did not complement one another nor did it complement the beer.

The malt in the beer seemed weak/watered down, there was very little "mouth feel" for a beer with such a high ether content.

The taste and smell was like old gym socks as a result of an improper yeast/hop/malt combination....or there was contamination in the brewing cycle.

I've brewed since the mid 80's and sure I have made some creative disasters myself. In my life I have refused to drink 2 commercial beers, one was a Miller someone bought me and the other was this Surley Furious. Want a good hoppy beer, try a bells Two Hearted Ale, or better yet, make your own :-)

1.41/5  rDev -67.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Extremely overrated and overhyped. Canned on 5/19.

Dark amber in appearance with light toasted malts aroma. Hops are not complex here, nor its fruity. No citrus, light caramelized pine. This is an extremely malt-forward ipa with lots of bittering hops. Long lingering bitterness. This is definitely an extreme ipa with a 100 ibu that targets the fans of bigger is the better. This is not a balanced beer. Drink two hearted instead.

2.79/5  rDev -35.3%

Acquired a can of this thanks to tytoanderso. Caramel orange with nice white head. Smells like crazy amounts of hops, and I was also getting a touch of cat urine, which was a bit off-putting. Taste is more crazy abundant amounts of hops. There's a decent amount of malts to balance this out, but the excessive amount of hops just crowds everything else out. With lots of other great beer to drink last night, we didn't even finish a can of this split between three people.

2.83/5  rDev -34.3%

Had this on two different occasions, on tap both times. Did not want to review on my first time as I did not like it, and wanted to be sure before.

It is a hazy brew, colored somewhere between orange, brown and yellow, appears thicker than it feels. Minimal head.
Aroma is a sign of what is to come, an intense hoppiness with almost exclusively citric notes.
Medium bodied, with an intense, overwhelming hoppiness, with malts nowhere to be found. A bitter assault that unfortunately, IMHO, left a lot to be desired as no other flavors can be noticed. Markedly inferio to regular Furious.

2.92/5  rDev -32.3%

thanks to darthkostrizer for opening it at a bottle share.

rust in color with a small white head that dissipated quickly leaving minimal lacing

decent aroma, i get some mangos/floral

taste not to much here, mildly foral and hoppy with mangos

light bodied medium carbonation, leave a dry mouth.

overall the nose was the best part of this beer, wasn't much in the taste. a bit of a let down here

2.96/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Clear, medium copper colored, liquid. A little more than a finger of light tan foam for a head. Retention is really good and lacing is thick and in a solid ring.
Really a great looking brew.

Hops. Big pine hops. Lush tropical/citrus hops. Just overflowing with the floral bouquet of hops.
A very light hint of caramel malts.
Smells completely out of balance.

I'm shocked. It tastes like hops.
This is such a harsh hops bitterness. I can tell that there are some caramel malt notes in there, but just when they come forward, the hops leapfrog right over them and attack your pallette.
This is way too far out of balance, for me.

The mouth is crisp and sharp with a slight touch of creaminess.

If you love hops, this is definitely one to search for. Like you didn't know that, already, though. If you haven't had it, get it.
The very definition of the term 'hop-bomb'.
If you don't absolutely love hops, this is probably not for you.

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: pours a deep orangish red color. a two to three finger off white head with decent retention. a small streaky lacing around the edges. pretty hazy and almost opaque.

Smell: good strong hop bite starts off. notes of pine, citrus and hop resin. good amount of bitterness but it is almost taken over by a large amount of sweet malts. ranging from toasted bread to caramel malts.

Taste: opens up with hops coming through with pine, citrus and resin. a good amount of bitterness up front. strong malts creep through the hops constantly. notes of caramel and toasted bread. more hops sneak through at the end with some slight tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: syrupy and resiny. bitterness and caramel malts battle it out. it comes out pretty even. strange and may be slightly undercarbonated.

Overall: way too malty and syrupy. almost cloyingly sweet even with all the hops in it.

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

December-ish canning, Febuary-ish consumption.

Standard pint glass pour. A pretty orange whirlwind as it rolls out. Inch & a half of lumpy light tan head. Not quite clear, but a dusty orange amber. Ugly, sticky glass full of residual once it all settles in place, but I guess that's what we're looking for in an IPA eh? :)

Smell is catty & piercing with alcohol. Sharp radish-like aroma. Hops are of varnish intensity. I know lots of people appreciate that sort of intensity, but it doesn't do it for me unless it's doing more then clearing my sinuses. No big fruit or floral aspects. A touch of rind, but it's very coarse & unwelcoming. From all the reviews, I'm guessing it's awesome straight off the canning line.

Taste is bitter sweet upfront, with dark leafy greens. Sweet honey & cereal grains come in right after turning toasty. Finish is a lingering, dry, acidic rind.

Feel is low to mild carbonation, a touch chalky because of the sediment, & it has a bit of a numbing effect on my tongue as well. Alcohol is a bit of a nuisance.

Not my favorite Surly beer, but it does have some qualities I can see other people being a fan of.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Dirty ruby-orange body with lots of carbonation and a head that just won’t quit. The beige crown is exceptionally thick both in dimension and in density. This froth reminds me of a trick a Czech broad taught me years ago when I was staying with her in France. If one could balance a small coin, the pre-Euro Czech equivalent to the dime on the head of a beer for ten seconds, then the beer was good. Well this beer looks like its froth could balance a half dollar for a minute!

Aroma: Pine tree forest soaked in butter toffee. I can smell bitterness to the point where my eyes are watering. Some fruity esters of pineapple and touches of citrus. Pine really dominates.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Painful. Furious is one of the most antagonistic and rancorous beers to have4 ever touched my lips. It hurts to drink. The body is so dry that I started to get a dehydration headache after a few gulps. To make matters worse, it seemed to fry my taste buds so that after the first sip or two I couldn’t really taste the beer, save a vague pine quality and the presence of acrid citrus. Big, huge, bitterness and hop presence but not in a good way for me. I can see why others love this but this is just too bitter and unbalanced for my liking and therefore not drinkable in the slightest.

Thanks to Jeff Krenner for the 4-packs.

Side Note: I had the tea-bagged Furious on cask and liked it much more than the regular.

3.13/5  rDev -27.4%

16oz tall boy can poured into a heady topper pint glass.

Pours a dark amber, almost brown, quite dark for an IPA. Head is small and a nice light brown color. Nose is quite malty and a bit smokey, maybe a bit of sulfur as well, and there are some hops here but it's not killer.

This is unique, it's malty, thick and creamy with that scottish malt taking more of a front seat than the hops. There is a bitter slightly harsh flavor but it's different. There is a bit of an iron flavor as well. Overall, it's something unique and I'm glad I finally got to try it!

3.13/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from the can into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy brownish orange with a fluffy white head. Mild lacing shows up due to the hop oils and proteins.

S: Resinous, spicy hops with herbal undertones, with some mild orange. Nothing great, though.

T: Mildly disappointing at first - a bit watery. Herbal, bitter, a bit alkaline. There is some spice evident, not any real sweetness in the least. I can't get over the watery taste. As it warms, a bit of malty sweetness is revealed. It finishes clean, but with a bit of alkaline flavor. Some sour tartness shows up in the beginning, bitter in the middle with sparking baking soda and CO2 flavors.

M: Average, fine.... Good carbonation, nice density and thickness.

D: I was so disappointed after all the hype. Just nothing special, no real depth of flavor, and way too much alkaline flavors going on.

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Burnt orange colour and a little cloudy, the pour produced a thin cap of tiny bubbles. The aroma was crammed full of pine resin and grapefruit rind, backed up by some tangerine, but a bit of caramel appeared as it warmed. Scorching bitterness, little balance was all I thought on my first sip and things really didn't change. The hop flavour was very resinous with some citrus character, and there was just a faint caramel sweetness that was inadequate to tame the bitterness. A bit of alcohol was present too. Medium/light bodied with average (and appropriate) carbonation and a dry hop finish. There just isn't enough of a malt backbone here to support the bittering hop charge in this beer. Quite harsh - not a complete disaster for me, but not something that I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing northyorksammy!

3.19/5  rDev -26%

Drank from a cask at Dark Lord Day 2009
Served in a plastic cup

The beer poured a turbid, orangey-amber color with a small, bubbly cap of off white froth. Within seconds, the head disappeared completely. Chunks of floaties gathered at the bottom of the cup.

The aroma was quite hoppy. Fruity and citrusy with notes of candied orange peel. Semi-sweet caramel malts were noticeable as well.

The taste was rather weak in flavor but quite bitter. Citrus fruits (orange and grapefruit peel) came through strong. Very little malt presence. The resonating finish was piney, dry and super bitter. With each sip, the beer left a rather hot trail down my throat.

The mouthfeel was typical for a cask ale. Quite watery and thin with a super fine and nearly nonexistent carbonation.

Drinkability was poor. The combination of hoppy bitterness, mild carbonation, lack of body and warm-ish temperature made putting down this five ounce pour a real challenge.

This beer was a real disappointment. I have a bias against most hoppy cask conditioned ales (in my opinion, hoppy IPAs and DIPAs generally taste better when they are slightly more chilled than malt dominant brews) and I felt that this one in particular did not work. I love Furious but the Tea Bagged version is too overwhelmingly bitter and one-dimensional for my palate.

3.2/5  rDev -25.8%

Received a tall-boy can from TurdFergison in a recent beer trade. Pours a hazy, dark-brownish-amber with lots of quick tiny bubbles, a huge rocky off-white head and some crispy lacing. Lots of caramel malt in the aroma, grain husk, honey oat dinner rolls and hints of dark fruits. Some citrusy, pungent, and spicy hop aromas. Medium bodied with a crisp mouthfeel. Some caramel malt sweetness up front with some toasted character. Hops flavor is citrus as hell like fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. The beer finishes with a spicy bitterness and a flavor like Halls menthol-orange cough drops. I am a raging hop-head but did not love this one. I'm not sure how fresh this can is but I would rate this IPA ok at best.

3.24/5  rDev -24.8%

03/11/07- Received in a trade with BA member Truthbrew.

Presentation- 16oz canned brew. No freshness info found on the can. Poured into my imperial pint glass.

Appearance- Chestnut colored pour with a nice 1/2 inch ultra creamy looking white head. Settles at a nice 1/8 of an inch. Above average lace sheets. Looks very tempting.

Smell- Very restrained scent. After shoving my nose into the glass and almost snorting up beer, I really came up with not much at all. Seems as if there is a sugary sweet aspect and maybe some citrus hops.

Taste- Heavy toasted malt base followed by a wicked bitter bite. Kind of sugary, but not sweet enough. Needs more sweetness to pull together. After the malt, which really isn't sweet or caramely, just toasted, all I get is almost flavorless bitter hops. Maybe a wee bit of lemon and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- Seems a bit watery with a medium level of carbonation. Moderate lingering bitter aftertaste. Maybe a touch creamy.

Drinkability- I had such high hopes for this brew. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anywhere near to what my expectations were. This beer just falls in the middle of the pack of all the IPA's I've tried. Maybe I got a bum can. I don't think I did though.

3.28/5  rDev -23.9%

I, I don't get it. You can't go to MPLS without some yahoo staggering up to you bragging about Surly this or Surly that. I mean, really? It's a decent enough beverage to fill-in when your first or second string is on the bench but come on, the Hype! around this concoction was waaaaay over-rated. It's a little silly. Especially from a place where Summit comes from. But having said that, I can see where the excitement comes from. So...yea for you, I guess.

3.28/5  rDev -23.9%

I've had this on at least 5 occassions and I find it to be a decent offering but nowhere close to the style I like.

A = A fairly dark appearance for an IPA style with a minor head with an off-white color.

S = Nosing the glass, I smacked head-on into a bitter wall of floral hoppiness that I immediately associate with English Bitter Style.

T = Very strong with minor citrus and a bull-rush of bitter hops. Much as in the Surly style, the beer is over-hopped to a substantial degree.

M = Bitter, effervescent, and singeing, I found it difficult to hold this on the palate for my usual 20 seconds (for tasting and evaluation purposes). A can/glass of this will provide palate shock and leave you with this aftertaste for 20 minutes to a half hour or more after you've finished. Because of this, Furious is not a food friendly beer.

D = For me... one and done.

This is not my favorite and I will be fair by stating that up front. Stylistically, they have achieved a specific taste and result and with that said, this beer is spot-on. If you love huge bitter, floral, and citrus spokes, this is your beer.

Just not for me.

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A deep, caramelly brown body with lots of fizz and light foamy head. It was much darker than I expected, but it looks really nice. There's a decent amount of lacing left behind on the glass.

S - Lots of earthy malt aromas with some light piney wood notes. A hint of citrusy lemon peel and orange, and thankfully not overwhelming at all.

T - For a beer with 99 IBUs, it's not as bitter as I expected. I drank this about a month after receiving, so it wasn't exactly the freshest out of the brewery. It's also not very sweet at all for a beer that's self describe as tasting like "caramel-toffee". I'm not very impressed with the taste.

M - Pretty thin body feel and lots of fizz that rests on the tongue.

O - I'm a little conflicted right, so please give me a moment... okay, thanks. As far as IPAs go, this beer isn't overly hopped as some IPAs are becoming. That said, it's a respectable beer, but I wasn't very impressed. I've only had one other Surly brew, Coffee Bender, and that was fantastic, so my opinion of Surly is still a little conflicted. Good beer, but this one isn't anything unique.

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

On tap at the Happy Gnome, St. Paul, MN...

Dark clear amber color, darker than I expected. Minimal head in this pour, light traces of wispy lacing. Aroma of copious hops, harsh in many aspects, with a background of malt. The aroma is as unidimensional as the taste. Mouthfeel is lighter, carbonation is well-done at medium. The flavor is quite cartoonishly bitter, I had a hard time picking up a malt profile in contrast to the bit of nuttiness and caramel to the smell. Piney and scouring and too brittle and dry, deadening and palate-fatiguing rather than complex (wonder what the hop addition bill was, lots of bittering, less aroma hops?), with a hard-charging finish that leaves plenty of hops lingering into the aftertaste. This one could be way more (or at all?) balanced to my mind, but if they were going for a highly amped-up hop bomb to impress the folks looking forward to the Surly line, they achieved it. I enjoyed it slightly, but it was a bit more harsh than I normally like. Tried back-to-back with a Two Hearted Ale, and sorry, Furious is a one-note wonder in comparison.

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

Split a can with Hophead717. Thanks for letting me finally try this.

A - Nice amber color with an off-white frothy head of about a finger.

S - Not nearly what I expected. Some pine, citrus, but pretty muted on the hops. This was a fresh can (around a week old), so I was pretty surprised by this. This thing is a malt bomb somehow. I believe it advertises Scottish malt or something on the can, and you definitely get that a lot. Some malty sweetness, breadiness, etc. More of an amber than an IPA.

T - Follows the nose. Big letdown for a 99 IBU IPA. Not sure why this gets so much praise.

M - No alcohol, pretty smooth with a moderate carbonation and medium body.

O - Was expecting something else. Definitely not expecting what I found to be a knockoff of Troegs Nugget Nectar (which I don't love all that much either). The malt they used really wastes all those hops imo. This isn't bad if you're into English style IPAs or hoppy ambers, but that's not what I was anticipating or desired. Wouldn't buy if the opportunity presented itself.

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

A- poured into a glass copper hue completly clear with a peach colored creamy head of foam !

S-slightly metalic with hints of pine and floral

T-a all consuming hop bitterness, lavender notes, light carmel tastes in the front end. It gives way to more piney hops

M- effervescent across the tongue with slight astringency from the hops or alcohol.

Overall- This beer looks and smells really good but i think that taste is where it falls a little short. It starts off so pretty in the glass and it smells like a real hoppy treat, but I dont think that the can did this beer any favors. I get some metalicy flavors and i think that the carbonation is a bit high. Its remarkably hoppy and the head retention and lacing are great. I wouldn't try this beer in the can again , But I would like to try it on tap. Maybe served at a warmer temp a bit fresher

3.32/5  rDev -23%

A: A med amber/brownish color with a fleating off white head.
S: A lot of smooth hop aroma coming through.
T: Smooth hop bitterness. Some citrus and earthy flavors coming from the hops. Caramel, malt and sweetness. The sweetness came in at the back of the palate. Also an appropriate amount of bitterness for an IPA.
MF: Med body and med carbonation. The hop oils give it a smooth/sticky mouth feel.
D: Overall it was an average IPA, but nothing to write home about. There bitterness was good and wasn't harsh.

3.37/5  rDev -21.8%

My first Surly!

A - Pours a clear dark amber color with some great head retention and viscous lacing.

S - Very fragrant pine, citrus & floral notes.

T - Yummy! Starts piney and hoppy with a malty middle and ends with the bitter hop. I kinda wish it were a bit more balanced... as the drink progresses the malt and fruit subtleties fade and I end up with mostly hop.

M - Medium body and creamy.

D - Not extremely drinkable for me... the ending hoppiness isn't complex enough and ends a bit too bitter. I would definitely drink again tho.

3.38/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured into an IPA glass from a can dated 1/21/14. Appearance is caramel-amber - fairly dark for the style, with a huge custard-colored head that's starting to leave nice tendrils of lace. Tons and tons of bubbles rising up to the top.

I started smelling this one as soon as I popped the can. Aroma is a hop knockout - lots of grapefruit and orange. I could just be imagining this, but I think there's a little bit of onion underneath - I hope that comes through on the flavor!

Very strange flavor. There's a little bit of citrus and some spicy pepperiness on the palate, but it's mostly overwhelmingly bitter, without all that much actual flavor. The finish is tongue-sappingly dry - I feel like I've been licking the prickly part of a pineapple. The citrus comes back a little bit for the aftertaste - there are some hints of tropical fruit. There's also some malt presence on the aftertaste (once the bitterness has subsided a little), adding the tiniest bit of caramelly sweetness. One of the most bitter beers I've ever had - not sure if that's a good thing.

Mouthfeel is nicely thick to back up the overwhelming bitterness - lots of carbonation, too.

Overall, this beer definitely delivers what it promises! I can't help but be a little disappointed that the bitterness overwhelms the nice flavors the aroma promised. Either way, I'm glad I tried it - thanks to Coirm for the can!

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this beer 2 months after the canned date. Seems like a very malt forward beer. I won't spend my review criticizing it because I love this brewery. It's just not for me.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company