Follow our progress ...

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Reviews: 1,491 | Ratings: 5,348
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Big thanks to JeffKrenner for hooking me up with some Surly.

a - pours a deep copper color, two-finger white head with great retention and lacing, slightly hazy

s - awesome smell, big grapefruit, pineapple, passion fruit, also big piney hoppiness, an ode to hops

t - wow, big citrus and tropical fruit flavors up front, nice piney hops as well, body and finish is quite bitter with a hint of sweetness, no hint of alcohol, absolutely divine!

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, coats the mouth very well with hop oil, pretty dry finish

d - pretty drinkable, though the dry finish and the bitterness might destroy the palate after a few

Wow, an amazing brew no doubt. Instantly becomes one of my all-time favorites. I wish I had some Masala Mama to taste side-by-side with this, because oddly, this reminds me a lot of the Mama (though I haven't had it since August). I love the fact that this is in a can, too. Can't wait to get my hands on some more Surly.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Received in trade from feloniusmonk. This one has been lurking in the fridge for over a week. It's funny how I have been conditioned to keep canned beer cold....sat at room temperature for about 90 minutes. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Luscious murky dark red. Very nice moderate head. Good carbonation. Superb lacing.

S - Outstanding. This beer is very reminiscent of a couple of DIPA's I've imbibed in of late. HopSlam and Hop Whore come to mind immediately. Piney hops, unripe grapefruit, lemon zest, spruce....

T - Assault team hops. Again, very strong grapefruit. Drinks so much like a DIPA, I had to check the ABV again. Wonderful bitter aftertaste, deliscious hoppy burps.

M - Surprisingly full bodied and creamy (low ABV at work?). Very broad across the palate, very nice going down.

D - This may be the best part for me. I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but this beer drinks like a DIPA. A damn fine, rough & tumble DIPA...the fact that the ABV is fairly low is a wonderful bonus. This is a beer I could drink all day. Say, a Sunday full of football. Or a poker night. If I could get my hands on a case....paging Minneapolis BA's, come in please!!!

Thanks Al, for turning me on to yet another great beer.

Cheers

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass to smell the sweet hop aroma! (Thanks to Todd for the hookup!)

Nice golden color with a thick head--moderate carbonation.

Typical IPA smell but maybe a little lit for the style.

Taste was magnificent. A very easy to drink ale.

Mouthfeel was right on. Had a very prickly amount of carbonation. I was surprised at how long the head was retained. Nice malt flavor down the back of the throat.

A solid IPA. I have been eagerly anticipating drinking this offering from Surly as it is a legendary IPA craved by most of the country. Glad I live within driving distance. I was not disappointed. Surly delivered on my expectation and I will gladly enjoy again.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Pours a beautiful dark amber body with a two finger head. Head retention is marvelous.

S- Amazing! Sweet hops and a hint of pine needles. Smells much like a citrus fruit of some sort.

T- Great! Really hoppy, smooth, and tastes much like citrus and pine. The piney, hoppy part is not overbearing because of the citrus flavor.

M- Pretty smooth. Good IPA feel with the carbonation.

D- Between the ABV and the hoppiness, you could probably only drink one at a time.

Came in a 16oz can.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from the can to the glass (as suggested on the can) this brew has a great burnt orange color with a foamy (almost airy) head that leaves thin sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma fills my nose with wonderful citrus, bold floral hops, fresh pine, and a mild roasted toffee smell. I cannot wait to take my first sip...

I was not disappointed. The taste is fresh and sweet upfront with orange, clove, and even some pine nut. Then it swells into thick citrus and hops. Mild bitterness in the finish and dries the palette to make you want to take another sip.

I was given this brew from CDKrenz and was told that I needed to enjoy this alone in a empty quiet room...now I know why!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Sigh. This is what an IPA should be. Period. This and Dreadnaught. The others are just posers. It's like squeezing the oil out of a bushel of hops and injecting it directly into your veins. My god. Yet the bitterness is juuust barely balanced with some thick malty sweetness. It's not one dimensional like Ruination. I like Ruination, but i like the subtle balance of Furious better.

I'm a little worried about this beer with the impending hop shortage i've heard so much about lately. The amount of hops that go into this beer must be off the charts. If they can still get all the hops they need for this a few months from now, surely the price will go up noticeably.

Man. Fantastic stuff.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Had on tap at Grumpy Bulldog in Naperville. I am told this is a rare treasure to have on tap. Additionally, I understand the last barrel lasted only 2 days in such a small bar. When drawn it looked like a nice cool iced tea with a thick beer head on top. It has quite a bit of pin hops smell. There are some smaller citrus undertones. However, what makes this beer great is the hops. The taste is big and bold. Wow...a guy can really get into trouble with this beer. It drinks remarkably smooth and has a wonderful. This beer barries the typical Dogfish head 60 minute that is often on tap at several craft brew pubs/taverns.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Big props to Pitmonkey for the chance to drink this one. To begin with I've have heard ghost stories about the bitterness of this beer so I was expecting alot. And boy was I not dissappointed! It pours a beautiful deeply hazed brown/orange topped with a nice little fluffy head. The nose.. well the nose is intense. It smells very big. Like a handfull of Warrior pellet hops. Big and acidic and maybe some amonia too. The taste is way off balanced and I'm not complaining at all. I think there might be a touch of carmel malts, maybe. Who cares let me enjoy my hops. As the beer warms the nose matures more refined spicy piney hops. This beer is so good I would inject this beer into my veins and walk around all day with a drip but I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much. The Mecca for hopheads.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

The appearance is amber-orange with a one finger white head. It has a great oily body with medium lacing. I give it a 4 because of the hazy nature of the brew as well as the head leaving quit fast.

The smell is great, a fruity citrus hop aroma just fills your nostrils. You can also tell there is a bitter hop characteristic in this. A little alcoholic sting is present in the end as well.

The taste is fruity citrus hop goodness. What is great about this beer is that the fruity sweetness is paired with hop bitterness perfectly. The fruit sweetness is great in the beginning and in the end, bitterness on the palate just in the middle.

The mouthfeel consists of perfect carbonation with perfect hop bitterness. The oily coating that leaves your mouth smacking for more is great.

The drinkability is summed up by what I said after finishing this brew, "I want more!"

Great great great beer. Love it!

J

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

I had a Surly Abrasive Ale preceding this one, and this still knocked my socks off - What a beer.

A - Pours a hazy, almost crimson amber with a beautiful chunky head.

S - Sweet malty scent, light hops and great caramel notes.

T - Great balance of Scottish malts and hops, caramel comes through, almost a burnt toffee. Something smokey almost.

M - Medium body, great smoothness.

O - So drinkable, I wanted another before I finished my first. This would definitely be a daily drinker if I could get it that easily.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks goes out to Bamadog for hooking me up with this months ago for a tasting

A - orange color with a white head that doesn't hang around long.

S - Citrus just lashes out at you from even a foot away from the glass. Wow. Hoppy, fruity, and just amazing to smell.

T - This may be the greatest IPA on the face of the earth. The taste is amazing. Just fantastic hops coming through and the malt flavor really peaks kjust at the right time. Wow.

M - Very intense and a bit towards the heavier carbonation. Not a bad thing. Just a bit more than expected

D - If I can get several cases of this, I'd be a happy man. Wow. I'm furious I can't get this close to home!

4.73/5  rDev +10%

Can into my 21st Amendment tulip.
Shocked to see I hadn't reviewed this beer yet. About time before I run out of my stash from my recent roadtrip.
Beautiful pour. Nice head. Dark copper appearance.
Aroma and taste measure up to any standard. Fresh hop like presence. A fantastic representation of the style that would make it anywhere.
Too bad they are not more widely distributed.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

16 oz can provided by Mistofminn. Thanks Brad!!! Served in a Nonic Pint Glass.

A: Beautiful finger and 1/2 of marshmallow fluff. Stays around for quite some time. Pours a beautiful amber that's not quite opaque, but a little cloudy. Lots of active carbonation. Lacing is thick and adheres to the side of the glass. Very, very nice for a IPA.

S: Sweet citrusy hop notes. Pineapple, mango, orange, etc... Malts provide a little bit of sweetness.

T: The hops are a great mix of citrus and earthy notes. Just like the nose, there's some of the pineapple, but also some resiny pine thrown in. Most impressive is the perfect balance between the hops and the malts. The bitterness from the hops is matched with the sweetness from the malts.

M: Medium bodied. Doesn't get much better than this in an IPA. The carbonation helps negate the underlying stickiness. Rolls over the tongue with a nice prickly smoothness.

D: A sessionable IPA if I've ever seen (or in this case, drank) one. The 6.2 ABV is not at all noticeable. There is very little harsh bitterness, so your palate feels fresh ready for another. My 16oz went far to fast and I wish I had another in the fridge.

Surly is well known around the country for their line of quality brews, and I feel safe in saying Furious is their flagship offering. A fantastic Midwest IPA that will stand up to any competitors for some time. If I had access to this beer, I'd be in my fridge 365 days of the year!

4.73/5  rDev +10%

One of the most complex beers I have EVER had the pleasure of trying. Thank goodness there are brewers in Minnesota that know what they are doing. Brau Brothers should take note.

Incredible taste. Has so many different layers. Drink it at room temperature, you discover a softer tone, but drink it really cold, a very crisp taste awaits you.

An exceptional beer. One that is meant for enjoying instead of gulping after a long day in the yard. They have beers for that too...they are call Macro Light Beers. The vast majority of America has a different name for this class of beer...it is call water.

A friend in college many years ago, thanks Dave, called beer the "Nectar of the gods". Well, for Furious, Surly Brewing has come close to reaching that point. Thanks guys for one awesome beer.

Fantastic in my book. Watch out Bells....Surly is coming after you.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

A: Bronze, dark brown color when poured into a glass. A nice one inch foamy head. An ideal IPA consistency could be seen right from the pour.

S: Smelled like hops and a hint of pine. Could definitely smell the IPA, fresh hop bite as soon as my nose neared the glass.

T: Very nice bite. Definitely as attention grabbing in flavor as the can's appearance. Surprisingly well balanced for an IPA with such a hoppy bite.

M: Nice amount of carbonation. Smooth but bubbly. I think the carbonation was a large part of what balanced the flavor so well.

O: Overall this was an awesome IPA. Great on its own or paired with some spicy food. Definitely one of the top 5 IPAs I've tried to date.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

Wow, what a brew. Poured into a tulip pint glass, this is the most beautiful beer ever, lovely orange-copper color with a rich, creamy head. The smell of hops hits you before you even lift it up to drink, but close sniffing brings out classic pine and citrus hop aromas. The taste is fantastic, big hops up front, followed by an explosion of sweet malts, and rounded out with great hops bitterness which lingers until your next slug. This beer doesn't cheat you in any way. The beer is pretty crisp considering all the flavor and alcohol you are dealing with. They go down easy, but a couple of these can sneak up on you in a hurry. This would be my standard beer if I could get it on a regular basis. Bravo Surly.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

Red glow to the beer. Smells of pine needles and grapefruit. A friend who tried it for the first time told me "it smells like Christmas."
I agree, a fresh cut tree just brought into the house with a bunch of ripe grapefruit dripping from it. Yep, those smells, turned up to 11.
Wonderful aromas here.

Hops and pine needles and grapefruit and tongue curling bitterness. A crisp, relatively dry aftertaste with a bit of oily resin, balanced just enough with that special Scottish malt. A great beer for a hophead. Thicken it up with some resin, bump the ABV up to 7.0%, and I would rarely drink anything else.

To top it off, my wife loves this beer so I have an excuse to keep it around at all times without getting "the talk."

My IPA measuring stick.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

I enjoyed a couple of free pours at a special event at Acadia Cafe. The beer pours a nice, copper-orange color with a huge creamy head that very slowly dissipates into nice lacing. The aroma is huge... grapefruit, punch, pine, citrus. Very nice. The Amarilo and Simcoe really shine here. The flavor is surprisingly well-balanced for a beer of this caliber. Again, more sweet malt backed up by a nice, floral hop presence. More citrus and punch. Damn. This is THE beer I've always wanted to brew. The mouthfeel is just plain smooth... almost creamy thanks to the hand pump. Drinkability? I had two and would have happily consumed more if needed. :) Sadly, the pin ran dry. Watch out for this one. You won't see it every week, but if you have the chance, enjoy it.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

Don’t drive angry. I just have to say I love the tall boy wide mouth can. The pour was a clear coppery almost red color with a good head. Retention was good but did dissipate to the side of the glass.

The nose was nice and hoppy with citrus and piney notes leading the way. Definitely over balanced with hops with no really malt presence at all. No doubt IPA all the way.

The taste is very hoppy, 100 IBU’s you say. Very nice balance which is impressive for the amount of hops they use. There is an odd flavor that I always distinguish with hop extract, which seems odd, but is just brings out that fake hop flavor. The malt is limited as the real store here is the hop presence. I love the hops!

The body is light and even with the amount of hops coming out is still very easy drinking. A great beer for hop heads for sure. Could be a conversion to become a hop head. Very impressive overall.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

I've had this twice now - at Darkness Day, and at Night of the Living Ales. It's always a huge treat to have this one. Served in my NLA taster glass.

A - Hazy orange-brown color, with a nice bunch of persistent bubbles on top. Not much in the way of head or lace. It's a cask beer - this is how they look! I just find cask beer decidedly unsexy looking, even if I love the taste & mouthfeel.

S - Wow! Furious on crack! Tremedous citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange) with some tropical fruits (pineapple & mango). There's also some floral and grassy notes not present in regular Furious - I'm guessing there is a huge amount of amarillo involved in the second dry-hopping. In any case, it's huge & delicious.

T - It's just as delicious as regular Furious. Tons of hops, candied citrus, solid caramel malt balance, with a mild residual bitterness. I did notice that after the fifth or sixth pour the bitterness got a bit tiring. It's also a tiny bit of a letdown from the smell. Those two elements keep me from giving this a perfect score.

M - Smooth, medium-bodied, low carbonation (obviously!), great residual stickiness. Velvet creaminess, yet very refreshing!

D - Hmm...low carbonation + medium ABV + incredible flavor = I can't stop drinking this. It's probably a good thing Tea-Bagged Furious isn't available more often, otherwise I'd be adhered to a bar stool somewhere and my wife would be filing a missing persons report - seriously though, this is an incredible brew, and combines the best of extreme American hop profile with traditional English real ale texture. If appearance didn't matter so much on this site it'd be my top-ranked brew.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing!!!
A: a deep golden amber
S: nice aroma of hops & malt
T: hops upfront with a sweet malt backbone
F: so smooth
O: the balance of malt & hops is incredible. I new this beer was great & I wasn't let disappointed.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours brilliant tea tinted amber under a persistent 3” cream colored clingy foam collar with a very fine bead.
S: Fresh mown grass, light mint, citrus.
T: Big creamy malt flavors hand off to an assertive citrus rind bitterness by the middle that carries the beer through the finish. Moderate levels of malt and moderately high levels of hops.
F: Creamy smooth, medium body and carbonation.
O: I am very happy that just about everywhere in town I go for a beer I can find a Furious.

many thanks to beckje01 for this trade

Surly have an absolutely delicious thing going. IPA is my favorite style of beer and this IPA is in the top 5 IPAs for me.

This wonderful nectar comes in a 4 pack of pint cans. The ones I had were so fresh, it seemed like it came right off the line. The glorious hops were well pronounced - fruit filled with grapefruit and lemon. The floral pine element is there too, rounding out the flavor of the hops. The chewy malt character tries to balance the hops - but this is an IPA, so it stands lil chance. It provides a welcome almost Scotch ale flavor.

With so many IPAs punishing with the hops in the West Coast style, this has it's own character. It is its own animal. With Bell's Two Hearted, Minnesota Town Hall's Mama Masala and now this - the Midwest is proving to be a IPA location to reckon with. Shame none are available on the West Coast.

The label reads “Beer for a Glass, from a Can" and to drink this straight from the can would be an injustice.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to BigBry for this one!

The beer is copper color looking and is cloudy. The head is beige, creamy and sticks quite well to the glass. In fact, it sticks very well to the glass. Nice looking beer. The aroma is amazing! Very intense. Piny hops that I can get even when I'm pouring the beer in the glass. I get some citrus too. The taste is absolutely amazing. Citrusy hops and just enough malts to balance it very well. I get some caramel notes too. Not overly bitter for the strong hops smell. I guess they put just enough malts to keep the bitterness not too aggressive.

Medium body and the taste stays in the mouth so well, it is exceptional. Awesome beer.

This reminds me of Dieu Du Ciel's La Corne du Diable... both beers are very close to each other in terms of aroma and taste.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a very dark amber, brown in color with a huge, frothy, off-white head. For an IPA this has a very intense, piney hop flavor! Very nice. Taste is huge hop flavor. There's no way this is only an IPA. This is better than most DIPA's that I've had. Huge, and creamy on the mouthfeel. I don't know what else to say, other than this is easily one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I've been wanting some Surly beers to see for myself what the hype is about. This one exceeds my expectations. Very well done!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company