Join our email list →

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

American IPA | 6.60% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,475 | Hads: 5,231
4.73/5  rDev +10%

Wow, what a brew. Poured into a tulip pint glass, this is the most beautiful beer ever, lovely orange-copper color with a rich, creamy head. The smell of hops hits you before you even lift it up to drink, but close sniffing brings out classic pine and citrus hop aromas. The taste is fantastic, big hops up front, followed by an explosion of sweet malts, and rounded out with great hops bitterness which lingers until your next slug. This beer doesn't cheat you in any way. The beer is pretty crisp considering all the flavor and alcohol you are dealing with. They go down easy, but a couple of these can sneak up on you in a hurry. This would be my standard beer if I could get it on a regular basis. Bravo Surly.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

Red glow to the beer. Smells of pine needles and grapefruit. A friend who tried it for the first time told me "it smells like Christmas."
I agree, a fresh cut tree just brought into the house with a bunch of ripe grapefruit dripping from it. Yep, those smells, turned up to 11.
Wonderful aromas here.

Hops and pine needles and grapefruit and tongue curling bitterness. A crisp, relatively dry aftertaste with a bit of oily resin, balanced just enough with that special Scottish malt. A great beer for a hophead. Thicken it up with some resin, bump the ABV up to 7.0%, and I would rarely drink anything else.

To top it off, my wife loves this beer so I have an excuse to keep it around at all times without getting "the talk."

My IPA measuring stick.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

I enjoyed a couple of free pours at a special event at Acadia Cafe. The beer pours a nice, copper-orange color with a huge creamy head that very slowly dissipates into nice lacing. The aroma is huge... grapefruit, punch, pine, citrus. Very nice. The Amarilo and Simcoe really shine here. The flavor is surprisingly well-balanced for a beer of this caliber. Again, more sweet malt backed up by a nice, floral hop presence. More citrus and punch. Damn. This is THE beer I've always wanted to brew. The mouthfeel is just plain smooth... almost creamy thanks to the hand pump. Drinkability? I had two and would have happily consumed more if needed. :) Sadly, the pin ran dry. Watch out for this one. You won't see it every week, but if you have the chance, enjoy it.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

Don’t drive angry. I just have to say I love the tall boy wide mouth can. The pour was a clear coppery almost red color with a good head. Retention was good but did dissipate to the side of the glass.

The nose was nice and hoppy with citrus and piney notes leading the way. Definitely over balanced with hops with no really malt presence at all. No doubt IPA all the way.

The taste is very hoppy, 100 IBU’s you say. Very nice balance which is impressive for the amount of hops they use. There is an odd flavor that I always distinguish with hop extract, which seems odd, but is just brings out that fake hop flavor. The malt is limited as the real store here is the hop presence. I love the hops!

The body is light and even with the amount of hops coming out is still very easy drinking. A great beer for hop heads for sure. Could be a conversion to become a hop head. Very impressive overall.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

I've had this twice now - at Darkness Day, and at Night of the Living Ales. It's always a huge treat to have this one. Served in my NLA taster glass.

A - Hazy orange-brown color, with a nice bunch of persistent bubbles on top. Not much in the way of head or lace. It's a cask beer - this is how they look! I just find cask beer decidedly unsexy looking, even if I love the taste & mouthfeel.

S - Wow! Furious on crack! Tremedous citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange) with some tropical fruits (pineapple & mango). There's also some floral and grassy notes not present in regular Furious - I'm guessing there is a huge amount of amarillo involved in the second dry-hopping. In any case, it's huge & delicious.

T - It's just as delicious as regular Furious. Tons of hops, candied citrus, solid caramel malt balance, with a mild residual bitterness. I did notice that after the fifth or sixth pour the bitterness got a bit tiring. It's also a tiny bit of a letdown from the smell. Those two elements keep me from giving this a perfect score.

M - Smooth, medium-bodied, low carbonation (obviously!), great residual stickiness. Velvet creaminess, yet very refreshing!

D - Hmm...low carbonation + medium ABV + incredible flavor = I can't stop drinking this. It's probably a good thing Tea-Bagged Furious isn't available more often, otherwise I'd be adhered to a bar stool somewhere and my wife would be filing a missing persons report - seriously though, this is an incredible brew, and combines the best of extreme American hop profile with traditional English real ale texture. If appearance didn't matter so much on this site it'd be my top-ranked brew.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours brilliant tea tinted amber under a persistent 3” cream colored clingy foam collar with a very fine bead.
S: Fresh mown grass, light mint, citrus.
T: Big creamy malt flavors hand off to an assertive citrus rind bitterness by the middle that carries the beer through the finish. Moderate levels of malt and moderately high levels of hops.
F: Creamy smooth, medium body and carbonation.
O: I am very happy that just about everywhere in town I go for a beer I can find a Furious.

many thanks to beckje01 for this trade

Surly have an absolutely delicious thing going. IPA is my favorite style of beer and this IPA is in the top 5 IPAs for me.

This wonderful nectar comes in a 4 pack of pint cans. The ones I had were so fresh, it seemed like it came right off the line. The glorious hops were well pronounced - fruit filled with grapefruit and lemon. The floral pine element is there too, rounding out the flavor of the hops. The chewy malt character tries to balance the hops - but this is an IPA, so it stands lil chance. It provides a welcome almost Scotch ale flavor.

With so many IPAs punishing with the hops in the West Coast style, this has it's own character. It is its own animal. With Bell's Two Hearted, Minnesota Town Hall's Mama Masala and now this - the Midwest is proving to be a IPA location to reckon with. Shame none are available on the West Coast.

The label reads “Beer for a Glass, from a Can" and to drink this straight from the can would be an injustice.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to BigBry for this one!

The beer is copper color looking and is cloudy. The head is beige, creamy and sticks quite well to the glass. In fact, it sticks very well to the glass. Nice looking beer. The aroma is amazing! Very intense. Piny hops that I can get even when I'm pouring the beer in the glass. I get some citrus too. The taste is absolutely amazing. Citrusy hops and just enough malts to balance it very well. I get some caramel notes too. Not overly bitter for the strong hops smell. I guess they put just enough malts to keep the bitterness not too aggressive.

Medium body and the taste stays in the mouth so well, it is exceptional. Awesome beer.

This reminds me of Dieu Du Ciel's La Corne du Diable... both beers are very close to each other in terms of aroma and taste.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a very dark amber, brown in color with a huge, frothy, off-white head. For an IPA this has a very intense, piney hop flavor! Very nice. Taste is huge hop flavor. There's no way this is only an IPA. This is better than most DIPA's that I've had. Huge, and creamy on the mouthfeel. I don't know what else to say, other than this is easily one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I've been wanting some Surly beers to see for myself what the hype is about. This one exceeds my expectations. Very well done!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

From a can poured into a pint glass. Nice reddish, amber color. Off white head with some nice lacing. Smell of pine and some citrus. All hops in the taste. Pine then maybe grapefruit. Nice bite at the end. Delicious. No complaints in the mouthfeel. Perfectly carbonated. Not too thin and not too thick for me. A fantastic beer. If only I didnt have to drive 3 hours to pick some up. Ah well, I like driving and I see more road trips up north in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at MacKenzie's the day before Thanksgiving, just getting the review down...

Poured the same copper orange as normal, a very full creamy head, lasted for the whole drink, very nice lacing, wonderful. The aroma was delightful, nothing 'tea-like' about it, really wouldn't have had any idea, just a very hoppy aroma with all kinds of citrus, perhaps magnified by the tea-bagging or something. Somethings going on here...

The taste follows suit, lots of citrus hops, not really a 'tea' thing going on, just a damn good beer. However, my usual complaint that normal Furious is a bit unbalanced doesn't comply here, it seems to even out more, even as the citrus comes out. Sounds contradictory, but thats how it was. The mouth was so damn smooth, good body, very nice. In all, its so damn nice to have a (er... another) kick ass brewer who does this kind of thing, experiments has fun with beer, and makes it taste damn good too.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Got a 4 pack of cans from a friend in MN, and poured it into a pint glass.

A: Nice deep amber color, with tints of orange, red, and yellow. Almost changes color in different lights. Really a stunner. Leaves thick lacing down the glass as I drink it.

S: Just what I love: Deep hoppiness, almost sweet. Citrus flavors abound, but I can get a little of the roasted malt in there as well, with some toffee undertones. Yum.

T/MF: Immediately hits you with the hop flavor, with almost a spicy tinge to it. The malt flavor follows. I'm actually surprised this is a 99 IBU beer, as it doesn't seem as bitter as I would have thought. Just a good balance between the toasted malt and hop flavors. Rolls around the mouth with a bit of bite, probably from the high carbonation.

D: If I could, this would be my everyday beer kept in the fridge. Just my style. Need to bring Cans too Chicago!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

16oz can, kept at fridge temp (~40F) poured into hefeweizen glass. Can is dated 7/29/2014, consumed on 9/23/2014

Appearance:

A moderate-hefty pour produces a one finger head that settles down to a thin layer of foam, somewhat sticky lacing. Color is a very dark and lovely orange with some red.

Smell:

Despite the name, the smell is very sweet, with citrus dominating, with maybe some pine, and something floral in there as well. Sweet malts are definitely there too, poised to surprise.

Taste:

I've been drinking a lot of IPA's lately, so my palate probably isn't picking up as much of the bitterness as someone with more sensitive tastebuds.

Again Surly surprises us, as the malt "backbone" actually ends up playing a pretty big role here. My taste isn't as refined as many people on here, but it kind of reminds me of an oktoberfest/Marzen. Don't worry, that's a good thing.

As for the hops, bitter pine takes the forefront here with sweet citrus backing it up. Sometimes the taste ends with a bitter pine stickiness, other times it ends with more of the malty flavor I talked about earlier.

Feel:

Prickly carbonation complements the bitterness of the hops appropriately. Thickness is medium, with a bit of stickiness from the hops. which is expected for an IPA.

Overall:

Despite its name and bizarre packaging, Surly's Furious is a surprisingly balanced and enjoyable IPA that stands up to the hop bombs characterized by the West Coast. I'm proud this comes from my home state, and I feel this exemplifies everything a Minnesota IPA should be: hearty and balanced. Surly hasn't forgotten that the malt is equally as important as the hops.

addendum: Right after publishing my review, I realized that I was speaking too much from the perspective of an IPA guzzling hop-head. I should note that for those who are just starting out in craft beer or IPAs in particular, this beer with around 100 IBUS is still extremely bitter despite its "balance".

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another one from my friend in Minnesota. This is a really hoppy beer. There is a lot going on inside this can and everything about it is totally awesome. I honestly wish I could get this on the regular.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

finally taking the chance to review this amazing IPA from Surly. I love this brewery

A- Furious pours a gorgeous amber body with a massive white head of foam all over the glass. A reddish glow illuminates off the glass as the lacing remains a frosting layer on the sides of the glass

S- what a blast of piney and resinous hoppiness!!! There is a caramel malt scent that is parallel to the hops making it extremely balanced for such a hop fest. Furious really has a dank hop scent that is massive and impressive!

T- the sweet caramel and pine flavors are so intense and full of flavor that your mind is completely drawn away from the bitter flavors that follow. You will quickly be drawn to that flavor as it ends up being an excelllent finishing point. Delicious ipa

M- flavor all over the mouth. Coating and good with flavor

O- I wish I could have Surly brews all the time. Furious is one of the only ipa I have ever had that was able to keep balance between piney hops and caramel malt to complete a perfect marriage. I always want my ipa's to be all about the hops, but Surly made a brew that changes my mind. Simply put... THE BEST IPA IN THE WORLD THAT BALANCES BOTH. Well done Surly

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a woody bronze with a silky tan head. Nose has big piney hops, citrus fruits, caramel and bready malts. Taste does not have the same hop explosion, but is still quite good. Well balanced with bitter hops up front followed by grapefruit, candy malts and more hops through the finish. Medium body is well carbonated, but a bit thin. Tasty stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

I have tried Bender and CynicAle the past two nights. Both were good but didn't rock my world. Furious is different - this is one kick-ass beer.

Redish amber appearance - pours to a thick, couple inch head that slowly deminishes but never totally fades away and laces down the entire glass. This stuff smells wonderful - pine, lemon-lime, slight nutiness - everything I love in a good IPA! The taste doesn't dissapoint either - hops balanced out with just the right amout of malts - well made beer indeed. This beer finishes very crisp with the bitterness from the hops cleaning things up. Drinkability? Off the charts. I have three cans left and when they're gone, I will be hunting for more.

Does it surpass Bell's Two Hearted? I'd call it a draw, with the Two Hearted edging this out in smell with its great floral nuances and Furious winning by a nose in the taste department.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz pour on-cask @ D-Day on 10/25/08..

Pours a glowing dark orange, large head of froth that holds up very well for a cask brew.
Heavenly aroma of fresh citrus & grapefruit from the unrelenting hop profile this has..toffee malt presence hangs in the background.
The fresh hop character is to-die-for..bold pineapple, grapefruit, apple, and an amalgamation of citrus fruits are on display, with a hefty offering of floral notes as well. If you want hop paradise, this is it.
as smooth as a brew can be, I'm convinced..the creamy texture of this from the cask is incredible as it allows each flavor to seemingly melt onto your tastebuds. Simply excellent.
I can't decide if this is better than the "regular" Furious..the hop "punch" you get from a regular Furious is a bit more strong, but the smooth texture & perfectly blended flavors in the hand-pumped version are sublime. I feel privileged that I had a chance to try this.

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to my new BFF Akorsak for hooking me up with this as a trade, which he obtained from someone out at Dark Lord Day!! I've been waiting to savor this beer for a long time...so here it goes...

Pours out a beautiful ruby red color, clear as a bell. There is a thick head of white foam which does dissapate as it disappears further down the pint, but not much. The smell is a clear sign of things to come, piney hops and toffee malts. OK the taste...MMMM holy crap this is a well balanced IPA...wow from first taste to the middle to the aftertaste it is pine/citrus hops mixed with solid Scottish Malts.

The mouthfeel is excellent, so clean...there isn't alot of that sticky hop aftertaste/breath going on that funks up your tongue and your palate. At 6.2% thats pretty drinkable. If I didn't have to drive anywhere I could easily drink the four-pack of cans in one sitting. But of course I am a master of restraint..Ha!

On Tap @ Map Room

Grapefruit and oranges highlight this exceptional IPA. Only Dogfish's 90-minute and Bell's Two Hearted hold a candle to this. I have 3 cans of this in the fridge, but am saving them.

On tap, this was sensual overload. It was the first beer of the night and is as memorable as a first kiss. Citrus never tasted so fresh. I would almost never classify an IPA as a session beer... but I would gladly tempt the hangover of the century to have these all night.

If you're a hop-lover... what the hell are you waiting for?

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Ok so I would recommend trying the standard Furious before attempting to decifer this one. And by the way, that one is best in the can. Appearance is very good, lots of hazy orange floating around with a nice head and lacing. Smell is wow, a blast of citrus and floral hops. A bit spicy and then the sweet herbal tea on the back. Very complex and very nice. Taste mirrors the smell but hops get a bit more balanced by the tea and I like mine very one dimensional. Still fantastic however. Mouthfeel is just a touch above medium in body, lots of carbonation and oily movement. Drinkability- I don't think it can get any more drinkable than this.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

A big shout out and thanks to Stu who I got this can from in a trade!

A - A dark redish brown color with a foamy white head that sticks around and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - I could smell this thing the second I opened the can releasing this hop bubble of goodness around me. Mango, peach, pineapple, tropical fruits, grapefruit, and orange notes. Smells fantastic!

T - A pungent hop bitterness hits you at the front of the tongue followed by big hop notes in the middle of the mouth. Tropical fruit, peach, mango, and grapefruit. The end has a nice dry finish with a bitter hop aftertaste that lingers on your tongue. Delicious!

M - Medium body and very drinkable.

O - An amazing IPA which everyone should experience at least once in their life. Thanks again Stu!

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

A little prefacing is in order. Number 1. I love this brewery, its got a great character about it and its smoking hot in the twin cities - just check the 3 month waiting list for tours of a small suburban warehouse!? Number 2. I hate drinking cans! I don't trust that this can is better than that can jargon. Leave that to Coors, please. I like bigger beers, but hopefully Surly will get enough footing to enter a glass world (swing tops are not too much to ask are they?). Number 3. I love a beer and breweries that push the boundaries, this is one of those beers.

A: Carmel to amber in color (as described on the can, Scottish malts are used, thus the near red amber color). 2-3 fingers creamy white head with medium retention. A foamy heady with rocky peaks overlays the loose and large to tight and small bubbles. Loads of hop resins leave some heavy lacing on the glass, get out the scrub brush!

S: Amazing piney hop-cone smell. This is my favorite characteristic of this ale. It doesn't exactly taste the way it smells, and this is exactly what i want in a pale ale. The aroma hop schedule must be soo intensive because this beer smells like no other!

T: Mellow. The taste itself is mellow. Its the toffee bitter in the nose that really packs the punch. The carbonation and bitterness in this beer gives it a longevity in taste from the bitter to the mellow and evenly finishes, not offending by the bitter but also not pulling back like most pale ales with lower IBU. I'm a hop head so i am not turned off by the bitter, but for such an IBU, id expect it to be less controlled than it is here.

M: Jazzy? If jazzy can be used as a descriptor. Carbonation is surprisingly long lasting, it does however tend to leave a bit of a gunk but that is to be expected from so many hop resins kicking about. I mark this characteristic the lowest of all categories only in that it doesn't jump out at me as unique compared to all other amazingly special features.

D: Why, but of course. A tall can means more beer, 6.2% means a more fun engagement, and you really shouldn't be putting a 4 pack of these away in an evening to begin with. Lets resign this one for the starter and closer to an evening of refreshment, shall we?

Oh, what a treat to have had this one, on cask at The Happy Gnome

Apperance was a nice light cloudy orange. Nice head that sticks around forever. great lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell was fantastic, possibly better than the original Furious, much more citrus coming out of the hop aroma.

Taste was excellent, not quite the hop bomb I was expecting, but a much more fruity undertone, I think some of the flavors ended up standing out on this one.

Mouthfeel was perfectly carbonated, with a touch of the hop tinge to it.

Drinkability, Possibly the only thing I really enjoyed more than the original on the cask version, More balanced than the original, so in turn, just a little more drinkable.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this on tap at the Mad Capper in Stillwater for the first time. It is in my top 5 of all-time favorite beers. This beer like Summit EPA make me very proud to live in the Twin Cities. My biggest complaint is that you cannot buy this beer in kegs for the kegerator yet!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company