Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,455
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,647 | Reviews: 1,428
4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Paired with Garlic Chicken.

Poured from a 16oz. can.

Appearance: Copper color with a thick head (3 fingers) & lots of carbonation.

Smell: Hops & malty aspect come to mind right away.

Taste: Wow, bitterness of hops hits you & also taste of pine & spices float around in there. What i like is that even though there is a powerful hop presence, it's very well balanced with the different flavors in it.

Mouthfeel: Heavy on the palate but as it warms, the pine & citrus are more dominant. Very pleasant bitterness that lasts well after the sip.

Drinkability: I love hoppy beers & usually have no problem with them, but as i was finishing it, the bitterness was almost too much for me.

Overall: A very good, well constructed beer with a powerful hop wallop. Flavors abound from all over & are very pleasant. I would like to revisit though as maybe i was tired or something because the hoppiness really got to me near the end. A must for hopheads!

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 16oz tallboy can to Bruges hybrid glass on 6/17/11
*From notes

Canning date: 5/23/11

A: Dark and brooding for an AIPA. It's extremely cloudy and without a doubt unfiltered. A good, eager pour yields a 2.5 finger head and some epic lacing.

S: Slightly sweet and utterly juicy hop oil. It attacks the nose in an agressive and pleasing way.

T: Bold, rich and extremely well hopped with a juicy, floral profile. Don't be deceived though, as the malt bill here flexes it's muscles on the late mid, mixes with the bittering hop oil and finishes in a balancing act not found in many beers.

M: Like most of the Surly brews I've had, this is slightly oily and a bit thinner then I'd like. It is fairly creamy, and the overall weight provides a good bit of substance to balance the robust flavors at play.

O: Surly's Furious is a damn good American IPA. Though I feel it's a bit overrated, I can see why it gets such glowing reviews. Everything comes together in a way that seems effortless, and makes for a beer I could enjoy every night.

Worth seeking out.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Served in a nonic, golden amber with an inch of substantial white head. Instant blast of citrusy hops before I even got my paw on the glass, with a light touch of malt once my schnoz was an inch or so away. Flavor is true to the aroma, with plenty of hop bitterness and flavor, with a solid malt base that is just not quite up to the task of balancing all those hops. Pretty good effort though, for only 6.2% ABV. Drinks a little heavy for a 6.2%, seems to have a lot of unfermentables for that potency. I still give it good marks for a drinkablility, considering that this is definitely in the hop-bomb category and never will be a session brew.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a CAN into a Dogfish snifter. Canning date: 8/11/11. SUPER FRESH!!

A- pours a very dark, transparent shade of amber with a half finger offwhite head. Really dark for an IPA, but it looks very nice

S- delicious citrus aroma coming out of this one....very tropical. Real good

T- starts off with the citrus pow, finish is very bitter and piney. Pretty nice, but I'd like more citrus in this

M- it's actually pretty thick, and dare I say it, very creamy. A little strange from an IPA

O- it's a good beer, but I can't help but feeling a little let down by it.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

16oz can received via I Want That BIF from flexabull. Thanks for the opportunity.

Upon opening, can foamed over, then poured into an imperial pint glass, forming a 2" pancake batter tan head over the slightly cloudy orangey amber brew. Head lasts and lasts, with heavy lacing. Aroma is dominated by piney hops. Taste is more of the same resiny hops, but with enough malt underneath to keep it from being cloyingly bitter, if there is such a thing. Mouthfeel and drinkability are just what you would expect from a heartily hoppy American IPA. Nice one here.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

I received this in a trade with translucent, who really hooked me up right.

Poured into my Guinness Tulip Pint

A: Pours a coppery mix of amber and brown. An inch and a half of head which stays perfectly still on top of the beer. Different from other IPA's, whose head disappear quickly.
S: A very piney nose with a slight sweetness of malt on the tail end of it.
T: Flavor is much the same as the scent, the pine tingles the tongue up front, combining with the malt backbone giving Furious a nice earthy flavor on the back end.
M: This beer has a very chewy mouth with a good bit of carbonation.
D: Furious is a very earthy flavored IPA, that is low in alcohol and very easy to drink. The fact that it comes in a sixteen ounce can makes it very cool, and will make me wish I had a few of these in the cooler next time I'm golfing.

16oz can poured into a pint glass
Canned on 6/15/12

A big thanks to haveanother1 for sending over yet another one of my wants.

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark amber with reddish hues and a huge 3 fingers of light tan colored head, which is dense, bubbly and takes a long time to dissipate down to a drinkable level.  Leaves a good amount of layered lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Resiny, piney, some citrus as well with pineapple and grapefruit.  Hops all over the place, awesome.

T: Malts are more prevalent on the tongue than was suggested on the nose.  That being said, hops are still the dominant player here.  Like the nose, mostly of the piney and resiny variety.  Not many citrus notes, maybe some grapefruit and lemon zest.  There is the soap bubble flavor that I get with some other IPAs (like two hearted, must be a midwest thing). Pretty  boozy for a single IPA.

M/D:  Medium bodied, on the heavier side of carbonation for the style.  Drinkability is average, but slightly decreased due to the big carbonation and teh boozy characteristics.

O:  Overall, very good but not in the running with my favorite IPAs.  I prefer more citrus hop notes, which this is lacking in when it comes to the taste.  Furious is a fitting name, as this one is rather harsh, not terribly so, but it does come off boozier I like in the style ( dont get me wrong, I love boozy beers, but I prefer those characteristics is barleywines, old ales, etc, not American IPAs). Still, I enjoyed it, and would say its absolutely worth seeking out if you are a fan of the style.  Im glad I finally got to try it and thanks again John for sending over 3 big wants in one trade.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

First of all: Massive thanks to quirkzoo for sending me home with this.

Poured from a can into a goblet. "Born on" date clearly stamped on the bottom of the can.

A soft pours yields two fingers of lush, thick, off-white head that lasts with tenacious stickiness and does more than leave lace on the glass; it crusts the glass with foam. The body of this beer is very nearly amber, but still has some of the classic orange highlights so often seen in IPAs.

My first whiff displays mint, fresh basil, mountain pine, and a touch of lemongrass. I am already intrigued at the lack of pineapple and citrus and the presence of the mint/pine/basil aspects of the textured hop-aroma spectrum. Some swirling brings more citrus and pineapple to the surface. This smells like it is going to be good.

The flavor is addicting. I usually begin by taking one sip and thinking about it, but with this beer I just kept drinking and had to remind myself I was in the middle of a review. Anyway, the hops are slightly less clear-cut and stark as I expected, but nonetheless this is a wonderful IPA. Malt does show up in the flavor and reminds me that this is still an IPA, not a DIPA. The hops are vibrant and lush, and let their complexity tease the tongue as the flavor moves from the beginning all the way to the aftertaste, which is sweeter and displays a bit more malt than in the middle. The continuity of the hop flavors is outstanding. A large swath of the hop-flavor spectrum in contained in this beer.

The mouthfeel is also outstanding. The carbonation is compact
and the body is on the full side of medium.

Conclusion: This is one of the best American style IPAs I have ever tried. Sierra Nevada Celebration, Great divide Titan, and Nugget Nectar come to mind as others in this league. To date, this is the best IPA I have tried from a can.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

No idea when this was canned, looks like the date stamper was down on this particular day. 16 oz tall boy into a tulip glass. As soon as I cracked the top I could smell tropical fruits!

A - Dark amber body that's almost bordering on red. Massive light khaki head forms and dies down to some spotty lacing and thick edging. Tons of coating on the wall as the beer goes down. Looks damn near perfect.

S - Layer after layer of papaya, mango, peach, and grapefruit. Super tropical with a touch of pine and biscuity malt on the finish. I'm also getting a bit of dank resinous hops.

T - Considering the 6.2% abv and 99 IBU's, its actually rather tame and drinkable. Papaya and mango with a nice english biscuit finish. Light notes of pine and some herbal dankness intertwine with the fruit. Biter finish. Not as impressive as the aroma.

M - Medium bodied and coating but fairly light in carbonation.

O - Not a perfect AIPA, but one that I wish I had access to. Lots of nice tropical hop notes that go along with some faint herbal and piney ones. Surly knows how to make some awesome hoppy beers.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

This is just about the reddest IPA I've seen-- rich copper color with a quarter-inch yellow head. Smells strongly of pine and citrus, great aroma. Taste is extremely bitter, and not as much citrus as most IPAs, at least not as much as the west coast IPAs I tend to favor. Perhaps a bit out of balance here, but they do make bitterness into an art form. This beer's bitterness deserves its own zip code. It's a statement. Carbonation is perfect. A very drinkable beer, though the bitterness detracts slightly. Still, it's an impressive alternative to the west coast IPAs. Thanks to Tyler for the trade.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

My second Surly, received in a trade with MasterSki - thanks! Here goes the only can in my beer fridge...

A - These Surly beers sure have great heads. Emptied this one into a nonic and there's a good three finger toasty oatmeat-colored whispy head sitting right atop a deep amber ale. Color reminds me a lot of Nosferatu, but a bit browner and less strikingly clear. And the head on this is really nice. Did I mention that yet? Pretty good lacing as I get into the first few sips...looks sticky.

S - I just changed the temp on my beer fridge and it's about 5 degrees warmer now - this is making the smell much more accessible much quicker. Lots of grapefruit here. Some lemon, lime, orange (read: citrus) and cotton candy. Lots of hops, of course, but nothing over the top since there are some buttery toffee malts that come in to say their part. Clean, sharp.

T - Yes! It is tasty, too. Like what you'd expect from the nose. Grapefruit and other citrus hops. Hop resin. I just had a sip to clean the gutter off the can, and yuck...now I'm reminded of those Natty Lights back in college and that metallic taste (avoid!). Back to the Furious in the nonic: I'm noticing more malts in the background now which add a bit of sweetness to balance the bitter.

M - Light to medium body. This is pretty darn smooth. Moderate to high carbonation to clean the palate, but there's still a nice, long bitter finish. Not much by way of balance, this is damn hoppy (which I really dig), with...some...malt.

D - This is quite good, but I'm just coming off the Bender which I got more pleasure out of drinking. Maybe because I haven't had a lot of brown ales that I've really liked, but have had plenty of IPAs that I've really liked. Don't get me wrong, this is very good...but, I can't easily get this brew around me, so maybe this is one and done, at least until I'm up in MN and can cart some home. A nice experience overall.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Pouring from the can (strange to say can with a great bear like this) results in a glorious orange'ish color with a 1" light tan head that fills an english pint glass to perfection. The aroma is of citrus and hops, it makes my mouth water! The first first taste that hits you are the hops, and then the sweetness of the malt creeps in..but not for long, the palate is left with a hop bitter that lasts for a while.

Perhaps the hop linger is a bit much...???

But, I must say it is a fine beer that everyone who likes hops has to at least try once in their life.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Got this from a buddy over on my cigar forum. He surprised me with this and 2 cans of coffee bender which I have yet to drink.

A: Pours a darkish amber with a solid 2 fingers of frothy head.

S: Piney hops, malts, honey.

T: Very hop forward which I love. A nice touch of malt and floral notes balance it quite well while letting the hops still stand out.

M: Light and crisp. On par with the style.

D: Very drinkable. I could easily stroke 3 cans in a sitting.

Overall: A very nice offering from Surly. If I could get it locally I would keep it on hand as one of my goto IPA's.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A- Inch and a half light tan foamy head, with fair retention and some lacing. The beer is an amber almost red color.

S- Citrus, Lemon zest and grapefruit with hints of pine. Some caramel sweetness and hints of white cake.

T- Citrus, lemons and grapefruit, some pine and herbal notes as well. A little sweet malt flavor that ends up being taken over again by hops. Dry herbal hops after-taste.

M- Light and crisp mouth feel with good carbonation and some tingle from the hops.

D- This beer is very drinkable and leaves you with a nice after-taste that makes you want more.

Overall a great tasting beer drinkable enough to be a session beer.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

I've only seen Oskar Blues put good beer in cans...we'll see about this one.
Nice crack when popping the can open. Smell of hops is immediate. Pours a dark mahogany/chestnut body with a really nice looking head. Thick and rocky. Good retention. Looks great.
The hops aroma is a mixture of citrus, pine and...ginger? Nah. Something else.
Tastes above average. The pine reminds me of metallic overtones (maybe I'm just looking at the can and imagining this). Citrus isn't as prominent for an AIPA, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
Drinks fairly well. A little butterscotch towards the finish.
I'm very impressed by this beer.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: pours a crystal clear red-brown, sort of a combination of amber and mahogany tones, with beautiful ruby highlights. A couple fingers of frothy snow white head, which lasts for a few minutes but then looks like the remnants of a bubble bath, with vastly more foam around the edge of the glass, tapering off into the middle. There's a ton of tiny to medium sized streams of consistent carbonation bubbles, which you can see as they move through the beer. Nice and sticky foamy webs of lacing.

Smell: A sweet floral bouquet of hops. Slight honey, but this one sticks mostly to the flowers. There's also a bit of clove spice and even some caramel and molasses notes running underneath the in-your-face heavy hop notes on the surface. A little bit of salt also. Gets sweeter as it warms with the caramel and molasses notes becoming more and more dominant in the blend, as well as citrus--particularly grapefruit and lemon juice.

Taste: Primarily floral notes here, as well, but not as sweet as in the smell--more piney and biting. Perhaps some very slight lemon rind. I'm also getting slight berry notes underneath all of the hops. Pine and grapefruit aftertaste. As it warms it begins to match the nose more, though it's heavier and spicier. The major change is that sweet caramel and citrus notes as well as vanilla and cream start to come out a bit more as it sits.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel, while good, could be improved upon. The tiny bubbles deliver initial flavor and carbonation as they hit your tongue, but then disappear almost entirely. This isn't BAD, but I'm not sure it's great either. Does it need fuller carbonation? No. Would a slightly higher amount be nice? Certainly. The aftertaste is hoppy and definitely strong, but not overwhelming. Also loses a good deal of carbonation as it sits out.

Drinkability: This one becomes much, much improved (and different!) as it warms, and is a great brew. It's also one to sip, despite the relatively low ABV. So, while a delicious and beautifully crafted brew, this one is not so high on the drinkability scale.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Served cold from a 16 oz can into Boston Lager glass.

Fantastic pour, rich red mahogany color topped off with fluffy meringue tan head leaving copious lace rings all the way down.

The nose is phenomenal! You've seen brewing personalities in ads rubbing hop cones between their hands and sniffing them? That's what this beer smells like, with an added bonus of nicely balanced caramel aroma. I don't think I've had a beer yet with such fresh hop aroma!

Flavor is big with hop flavor: citrusy, grassy and clean, with a good malt backbone that finishes nice and dry instead of the typically sweet American IPA. Good saltiness on the lips and thorough filling of the mouth with bitterness, and a lovely burnt malt aftertaste on the tongue at the very last. Unfortunately, this beer is best served ice cold, as it warms, it takes on a slight metallic note.

Drinkability is only limited by the heavy yet dry finish. Very delicious brew! Props to Surly Brewing and sincere thanks to Scoobydank for the trade!

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Big thanks to cradke for this one!

It pours a really nice medium to dark amber color that’s fairly clear but a bit hazy. A nice big bone colored head sits atop the beer with really great retention and superb lacing. The aroma just bursts out of the glass, citrus rind, earthy pine and a big malt backbone, caramel, toffee some sweeter and lighter biscuity grain comes through as well. Big aggressive flavors lead off with a citrus bouquet, some grassy and dirty pine flavors are very prominent, but the malt is really potent, and it is spot on. Nice caramel and toffee notes, meaty grain flavors that really compliment the more grassy and coniferous hoppy elements, a really well balanced flavor profile. The body is really great, a bit bigger than a lot of IPAs, but has a great dry bitter finish.

Verdict: Excellent IPA from Surly, really potent and delicious malt profile that balances so well with the bitter hops. I could definitely go through a few of these pretty quickly.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Big thanks to Mista for the extra!

A: dark orange with a thick off white head that gives way to covering lacing.

S: pineapple and citrus hops dominate the smell entirely. Slight pine scent too.

T: bitterness is huge along with the hop presence that is mostly pine here. Malt takes a back seat entirely.

M: crisp, well carbonated, and medium-light body

O: tasty beer, would happily have it again. I was slightly disappointed in the taste given expectations, but no IPAs blow me away anymore, unfortunately.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to fogdog for this extra during a heavy imperial stout trade.

A-Red appearance that is very cloudy and unfiltered looking. Head is very small, but what is here is pretty.

S-Sweet and tangy hops. Cherries and a mix of other light berries.

T-Extreme malt!!! Nice buttery finish. Some spices and a nice hoppy aftertaste. Very biscuit-like.

M- Buttery thickness that is suprising for an IPA. Carbonation level is relatively low which lends itself well to the flavor of the beer.

D- I think this might be a little too much for a highly drinkable beer. Great flavor, but not something that I would drink more than one of, let alone everyday.

Good sample from Surly, only my second Surly product.

D-

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

EDIT: Re-rated on 04-06-12 from original rating of 4.0-4.0-4.0-4.0-4.0 on 08-11-11.

Poured from a tap into a pint at King’s Wine Bar in Minneapolis, Minn. Color was a mix of copper and orange. Missed the head, but the lacing was high and consistent throughout the beer.

Lots of different strong flavors that blended well together. Kind of like the Abrasive that I had earlier in the day, it was a good mixture of dark (chocolate, caramel, malty) and citrus (pine, grapefruit).

The taste was similar to the smell, down to the mixes. The lacing stayed on my unshaven face, which I enjoyed. Slight bitterness, but all the blended flavors kind of outweigh it.

Average carbonation. So good throughout, just smooth and consistent.

I wish I would have had this before the Abrasive. The ratings would have been higher. Still loved the Furious.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for letting me try this one.

Nice red color with a big thick head that takes forever to die down. Once the head finally recedes and I can take in the aroma, I am overwhelmed by the hoppiness. Wow, what a hoppy beer! I love it.

The taste is as expected from the aroma. A bit one-dimensional perhaps, but wow those hops are amazing. Leaves a strong hop taste is the back of your mouth for quite some time. I'm thoroughly impressed.

How did they get that color?

Recommended.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A - A finger of off-white head of larger bubbles. Body is very cloudy and a nice orange/brown color. Great lacing.

S - Smooth, sweet citrus. Nice grapefruit and orange scents. Simple and great hops.

T - Complex and interesting. Nice grapefruit of course, then some orange rind. Moderate hops. A sweetness to it that I can't nail down. Very piney.

M - Nothing special, but fine. Strong carbonation and medium body.

O - A great beer. Very complex flavors yet very will balanced. A bit harsh, but otherwise nice.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Furious from Surly Brewing Company