Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,494
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,424 | Hads: 4,922
3.4/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I like Furious a lot and to me the Tea Bagged Furious seemed watered down or less flavorful, or dare I say, even tasted kind of flat. I did, however, enjoy it at the time I had it. After two Pentagrams and a Brown-Eye I needed something less flavorful. It did go down a little more smooth than the normal bite of the Furious. But boy do I love that bite. (354 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -21.1%

The deep orange-red color and creamy head probably raised my expectations, and this beer fell a little short of those. This is a pretty good IPA, but just didn't crack my top tier. It's very bitter, and I like bitterness when it's complemented by other hoppy flavor notes, but I didn't get a lot of those -- some grapefruit, maybe a little pine, maybe even a little lemon (?), but mostly just bitterness, over a solid malt backbone. A little bit of a one-trick pony. (466 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -21.1%

Received from a nice trade - big thanks to ScoobyDank. I empty my trade bounty, this can of Furious, into an oversized tulip. This is the second can I've tasted.
It exhibits brilliant highlights of copper, mud, rust & amber. The beer seems to glow as if it was emiting its own light. The tight ecru head hangs around for the ride, sticking on for dear life to the glass. In spite of the fact that this is several shades deeper than your garden variety IPA, in fact maybe because it is, it is a truly impressive looking beer. My expectations grow.

Smells like bright, simple sugar candy, backed well by vibrant doses of flowery hops which sharpen and turn bitingly citric, pine like and grassy as it sits a bit.

It is hard for me to tell how long this can has aged, but the hops seem to have A. mellowed, and B. gone all grassy on me. Yes this seems to be veering into the barleywine profile - with a biscuity and burly malt presence dominating up front and in the middle. The grassy & pine hop comes through in the back of my mouth, sticking around in somewhat pleasing pools of bitterness. Upon some further sensory introspection, I am enjoying the wild quality of this hop - very earthy and biting. But it has taken me heavily into the malt dominate brew vibe, and I'm not that impressed.

MF - buttery and full bodied, but it knows when to let go. This be good mouthfeel ya know.
D - too malt forward to really nip at my urge to imbibe many many ounces. (1,458 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -20.8%

Look: Copper in color with a 1/4 inch white head and no retention

Smell: Grapefruit and other citrus notes

Taste: Again some nice grapefruit notes with some caramel and toffee in the background

Mouthfeel: Just under medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: A good midwest IPA but good by west coast standards (315 characters)

bottle courtesy of Tytoanderso
Pours a rich maroon color with a huge fluffy beige head that lasts and lasts. Smell is big on hops and a red ale like malt backing. Kind of reminds me of either Bear Republic Red Rocket or Hop Rod Rye. Very fresh smelling. Dark rich caramelly piney hops flavor with a strong hop bitterness that coats the mouth. I really want a touch more malt in this one, and the body is a touch thin. Some medicinal grassy, aspirin like bitterness that will satisfy hopheads, but it was a bit too much or perhaps slightly unbalanced for me. Still can appreciate it as a well done strong IPA. Thanks Tyler! (622 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -20.8%

I split a couple of cans of this with Flyer and SurlySober, and I have to agree with the sentiment of Flyer’s review (below); this beer is agressively hopped, very bitter (99 IBUs according to the can), and quite dry. However, there wasn’t a lot else to its flavor (no citrus, pine, grass, flowers, etc - all the other stuff that IPAs taste like). However, it was a very smooth 99 IBUs, if that’s at all possible. Mouthfeel is quite smooth up-front, and the bitterness comes in slowly as the beer sits in your mouth and slides down your throat. I found this beer smooth but not quite to watery. The most drinkable very bitter beer that I’ve yet tried, although I agree that it would have benefited from the addition of some other flavor notes.

The first thing that I noted about this beer was its packaging. The color and images of the can made me think that a lot of people must accidentally purchase this thinking it is some kind of energy drink; or perhaps a caffeinated drink like Sparks. Appearance of the beer itself is a clear-but-not-brilliant copper with lots of white head. Smell is highly hoppy. Flavor is as I described above. Mouthfeel is smooth and highly drinkable, almost to the point of being watery, but far enough from there to just be very drinkable. Given all the great choices out there, I can’t say I’d be in a rush to drink more of this, but during my next can-only expedition (canoeing, swimming etc), it might come along; or at least it would if we could buy it here in Milwaukee. (1,515 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks mikereaser for the opportunity.

Pours a hazy orange amber. 2 fingers of foamy tan head. Respectable retention and a sticky net of lace on about half the glass.
Aroma is earthy, musty hops. A little pine and a bit of caramel malt.
Flavor follows aroma. Earthy, a little piney, and some citrus on the stage. Also a caramel malt. Bitterness is a little gentler than other IPAs, but clean and lingering.
Medium body with nice carbonation.

I'm not getting the smack your face American hop character everyone is raving about. Maybe I have an old can? No date means no information, which in my opinion, makes it fair game for review. (635 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks to leftmindedrighty for this one

A: Pours a dark caramel color with a moderate frothy head. Lots of lacing.

S: Surprisingly sweet and malty for an IPA with big toffee and caramel flavors. Very little hop aroma, but I'm not minding too much.

T: Toffee and biscuit flavors up front rounded out by a sharp, piney bitterness. Somewhat unbalanced in the finish, and the bitterness quickly numbs the palate and subdues the malty flavors.

M: Quite full-bodied for an IPA with average carbonation.

D: With each sip, the bitterness gets more intense. Although this is by no means a poor beer, it's getting somewhat difficult to drink. The lack of substantial hop aroma or flavor loses points for this one. (710 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

This beer better be furious! See what I did there? I haven't mad many beers from this brewing company, but two are on our list. The first one we did wasn't very good, but I heard, after sharing our review of that one, that this is the best beer they make. I like hops, and this is a HOP BOMB coming in at 99 IBU. Do you know what IBU stands for? That means international bittering units. This is a measure of how hoppy a beer is. Humans can't taste beyond 100 IBU, but there are beers that go beyond that. Like the Green Flash Palate Wrecker. That beer, this year, was 137 IBU. It. Is. GREAT!

This beer is also served in a can. Not a lot of our beers are canned. but cans are starting to become a big deal in craft beer. Just today I saw Papago selling several beers from Ballast Point… ALL canned. Some beers taste better in the can, but that doesn't mean I want everything to start moving toward cans. Hoppy beers taste better from a can, though. You know me and hops. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The tasting notes said this beer was copper in color. It's not. It looks like any other American IPA I have had. We did a hoppy beer the other night, and I am pumped to try this one. Some buddies on Google+ said this was the best beer Surly makes. I hope, because I didn't really care for the other cans I have had. Still a fun story and awesome logo! There is a nice thin head left on this, with some insanely sticky lace. In my head I know what this tastes like… I just hope it delivers.

Nose: The nose is nice, but it isn't anything to write home about. It has some nice piney notes to it, but isn't really screaming huge hoppy flavors. This beer is 99 IBU, which is high for an American IPA. It's not high for a double IPA, but that seems high for just a regular canned IPA.

There is a hint, and I mean a subtle hint, of sweetness toward the end. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Holy hoppy goodness! I wish more daily drinking India pale ales would taste like that. It hits your palate with a punch of pine, and then as you swallow, the subtle fruity flavors start to open up. The beer is quite carbonated, but as this heats up and as this mellows out, the bubbles won't really bother me.

I will say, even after a few sips of this, the lace is still sticking to the side of the glass. Unless I grabbed a dirty glass, this beer has some impressive lace characteristics.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite carbonated. More than I would like for an American IPA. The real experience happens toward the back of the palate. It has a nice fluffy feel to it, but as you swallow, more bubbles really overtake your palate.

Aftertaste: It's not dry… but it's close. It has a nice drying sensation as you swallow and as you continue to swallow. The burp is nice, too. Of course, there is some of dinner in there. I had grilled chicken tonight, but I soaked it in hot sauce. This isn't a beer that I would chug, not one that I would give to someone that says, "Tell me more about craft beer." This is not a gateway beer.

Surly is a good brewery, don't get me wrong. But they aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Speaking of sliced bread, there have been some pretty awesome inventions since sliced bread. Like the Internet! Anyway, if you can easily grab this beer, do. I bet it is great on tap. But for $9.99 for 4 cans, it is a bit overpriced. Cheers! (3,374 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into my ccb pint glass, reddish brown, half a finger head, hazy. Aroma of hops with malt in background. Taste follows the nose hops with little malt, no balance. Citrus from the hops is good just not great. Highly carbonated. It's good just not great, after having abrasive(excellent) it's hard to tell they are both from the same brewery. (346 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Aromatic lightweight bitter beer.

Strong resiny nose with fresh hay. Beautiful glowing amber in the glass, and head tops off nicely and swirls its skirts. I won't swear there is any malt in this beer but the body is decent. Very fragrant hops. The bitterness just doesn't stop. To me it takes over the mouth and blots out every other flavor.

A two-dimensional beer-- fragrant hops and bitter hops. Maybe it goes well with french fried yams or bratwurst, but not a beer to sip and savor. (489 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19%

poured from a can into a indian wells pint glass. The body has a nice caramel copper tone and is covered with a creamy white head.

The scent is like a very fresh cut lawn which a citrus/pine tone in there.

The taste follows directly from the smell but it falls out considerably and ends in a slightly watery flavor. The pine and citrus come through in the forefront but don't follow through very well.

The mouthfeel is a tad light for my taste, not thick at all and easy to drink. Overall I was not overly impressed with this brew, the nose was great but it didn't deliver in the end. (587 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz can with un illegible date stamped on the bottom ?/18/11. At least it’s from this year, I guess.

A: Pours a BEAUTIFUL sunset orange with tones of red. Combine to create a peach hue when held up to the light. A finger and a half of frothy sudsy eggshell head that looks like it might stick around for a bit. Some nice lacing left where it has actually fallen. Some little sediment bits in there too which is a plus in my book…unfiltered = more flavor.

S: Actually a lot of caramel/bready malt notes at first. There are certainly some piney/spicy hop notes in there as well, but somewhat muted for an IPA.

T: Simultaneous bitterness to go along with a solid biscuity malt note up front. Definitely a strong malt backbone going on in this glass…caramel/biscuit/breadiness notes throughout. Strong pine and grapefruit from the hops. Extremely well-balanced. Probably not the freshest can since I’m not getting an overwhelming hop presence, but super tasty regardless. Reminds me more of an aggressively hopped red ale at this point in its lifespan.

M: A solid medium bodied beer. Carbonation moves all the flavors around on the tongue and helps to blend this beer together. Finishes with plenty of dryness.

O: I wish I could read the date on the bottom of the can, and then I would feel more comfortable with the review that I’m giving. As it is, I don’t know if this is how the beer is intended to taste or if I’m drinking a less than fresh version. Either way, this is a solid beer. Big biscuit maltiness to go with the spicy/piney hop presence. This is one of the more well balanced IPAs I’ve had in a long time…might have caught this right before it began to pass its prime. I would love to get a can of this right off the truck….and for that reason, I’m keeping it on my wants. (1,825 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

I'm drinking pine needles! That was my first impression. Half-way through my glass I couldn't feel my mouth anymore. This was the first real extreme bitter, hoppy beer I had and I will never forget it. The aroma reminded me the that Sobe Adrenaline energy drink that was made years ago. I'll be avoiding this one in the future, but hop-heads wanting a balanced face-melter will enjoy this one. (393 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

Received this beer via trade with TIMMYJ21. Thanks Tim!

A 16oz can. I can only assume it's very fresh as it was picked up within days of shipping.

First off, this is a DARK IPA. An odd reddish, amber. It looks like it's loaded with Caramel malt. The aroma is good. Fairly weak. Citrusy, American hops come through over a hearty malt bill.

The color and aroma are a little deceiving. This beer tastes more like a traditional IPA than the color would dictate. Bitter, biting, hop flavor with little sweetness on the back end. Well attenuated. Don't get me wrong, the malts are rich and make themselves known but the high aa hops overpower the caramelized malts. Nice, but nothing special. The mouthfeel is fine, average I'd say for the style. Very little lacing.

Overall, I'm going to give this beer a higher overall grade than any individual component of the beer. Why? Because the drinkability is outstanding. Finishes drier than I expected with NO trace of alcohol. A beer you could drink all night but not something I would find myself seeking out.

I'd like to do a side by side with this beer and Nugget Nectar. (1,123 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

1pt. can into half pint glass on 1/25/08. Thanks to BA Deuane for sharing.

A - Clear amber/orange body with small, whispy white head and ample carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Lots of grapefruit in the nose. The citrus hops are balanced with some bready and sweet caramel malts, but the aroma is primarily grapefruit.

T - The harsh citrus bitterness overpowers the maltiness. Could use a bit more malt to counter the hop bite. Malt has a burnt, roasted flavor.

M - Medium body with a watery/oily texture. Warm, burnt quality on the tongue. Very long, metallic bitter finish.

D - Not the most drinkable IPA I've had. This one packs a pretty harsh, metallic punch in the face. (699 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep copper color. Really great smell on it. Hits lots of floral notes. Can definitely smell the hops coming out. The taste is not nearly are hoppy as I expect. More of an earthy, easy drinking ipa. Lots of earthy, dirty, grittiness to it. Can said 99 IBU so the bitterness must be hidden behind the body. A good solid beer, not as great as advertised. (360 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: HUGE thanks to tmcelvain for sending a 4pk of this! 16oz bright red can; bottled 11-28-11...can you say FRESH? Poured into my Flatbranch imperial nonic.

Appearance: Rusty amber brew with a TON of tiny sediment (from dry-hopping, I'd expect) in suspension and a nice, sticky dark ivory cap that sadly fades a bit fast...not the typical IPA look, but not unappealing.

Smell: WOW, you can tell this was dry-hopped! Massive citrus and sharp, sticky pine. Not really getting much in the way of malts or caramel sweetness, which I was thinking might be present considering the malt bill and the color. Fairly pleasant, even if there's something about this (I can't quite put my finger on it) that I don't quite love.

Taste: Again, not quite what I expected. Some dusty sweet and caramel malts (more of a malt presence than typically present in an IPA), with a fairly strong hoppiness, with herbal, woodsy, and some citrus notes (orange) as well. Bitterness is strong and firm, but doesn't feel like the raging 99 IBUs stated on the can. The malts lead, the hops hit mid-palate, and then this ends with a nice bitter kick and some sweet, grainy pale malts, very much in the English tradition. All in all, this is an odd little number.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied

Overall: Over all, this is interesting, and it's not at all unpleasant but, for me, it's not the game-changer I'd been led to expect. I'll enjoy drinking the other 3 of these, but I don't think I'd likely buy a 4-pk for $10-11. (1,501 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

poured from a can into a pint glass...

pours a nice, dark amber, letting little light through. tops with a thick, creamy tan head that lasts and lasts.

the smell is great - hoppy with a hint of sweetness and grapefruit.

the taste, at first, didn't seem to match the appearance and smell. I was expecting something big and brash, but it - literally and figuratively - fell flat. there was little carbonation happening (though that may be due to shipment of the can?), and this impacted the taste, for me. though the aftertaste was solid.

overall, I expected more here, but I'm going to try it again in a couple of weeks on a trip to the Twin Cities, so I may re-review it then. (680 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can into a perfect pint glass. Courtesy of Pullen (thanks, John!).

A - Says crimson on the can, but is more of a hazy amber, with a finger or so of head. Not much lacing, and just a thin cap after a minute or so.

S - Pretty nice right after the pour -- flowery, piney hoppiness. Once the head subsides, it mostly gives way to caramelized sugar and toffee. Almost like a barleywine-IPA black & tan.

T - Tasty. Again with the barleywine characteristics, the toffee and caramel. Hops are not as forward, more in the background and the finish. Nice but not fantastic. Alcohol barely noticeable.

M - Thick and sticky. I like this in a few beers, this one included. It feels like it looks, coating the mouth and having a long finish. Interesting combination of dry vs. sweet.

D - abv% is low-ish, and the flavor is good, which add up to something I'd like to have again but wouldn't sell the farm to have.

O - I like it, but don't love it. Again, if I lived where this was distributed, I'd probably buy it all the time, but being in California, it's got some tough competition. I might buy this once a month or so. (1,123 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to tprokop for this one. Poured from a 16 oz can into my Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark amber with three-fingers of slightly off-white head. Pretty good lacing. The head subsided slowly, and a thin layer lingered for most of the glass.

Smell: A mix between piney hops and bready malts. Not as much of a smell on this one as other IPAs. Some faint, faint hints of citrus.

Taste: Nothing right off the tongue, but on the swallow something of a generic bitterness, backed by bread/honey flavors. Everything seems muted. The bitterness lingers for awhile in the aftertaste, and almost seems stronger in the aftertaste then in the initial taste itself. The flavors aren't really distinct, and seems to all blend together.

Mouthfeel: Good thickness, nicely carbonated. Nothing to really complain about here.

Drinkability: I was a little underwhelmed by this one. It was good...but nothing really special about it. I got more bitterness in the aftertaste than in the initial sip itself. I'm not really sure what to make of it all. I'm not getting out of this what everyone else seems to, so if I have the opportunity, I'll give it another shot sometime. (1,178 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to JLindros for sharing this.

A - Pours a crystal clear amber copper with a one finger sudsy wooden hue coloured head.

S - Lots of orange peel, pine resin, with a good, solid malty backbone.

T - LOTS of malt in this and some bitterness. How was this only canned 2 weeks prior to drinking...where are all the hops?!

M - WAY too thin of a mouthfeel for an IPA.

O - Overall, my how times have changed. Back in the day this was THE IPA, then Heady Topper came along and changed the game. (495 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

this beer is a hop head's dream,however i am not a fully devoted hop head.i enjoy some balance.

poured into a pint glass,nice ruby hue. nice lacing and head as well.strong resin/pine hop aroma.

big bitter hop flavor through and through,pine and citrus flavors laced throughout. finishes with a harsh bitterness.slight notes of caramel. not very well balanced.

mouth feel is good,about on par for an american ipa. this beer is not very drinkable to me,mostly based on the fact that it's so unbalanced. (504 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly cloudy, deep copper with a two-finger off-white head and a good amount of visible carbonation. Head fades slowly to a thin cap, but leaves lots of sticky lacing behind.

Smell is floral and citrus hops: fresh cut grass, orange peel, fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit. There's also some sweet caramel and fresh baked biscuits.

Taste starts off with some toasted bread and caramel flavors, with some bitter floral hops in the background. There's a metallic bite and not much hop flavor, despite the nose. Malt background seems week, and the hop bitterness fairly subdued. Given the look and the smell, the taste was a bit disappointing.

Medium-bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability was OK, but overall it seemed to lack any real flavor. Perhaps this was just a bad can, but I'm in no rush to seek this one out again. (843 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Some fluffy offwhite head with some lace, golden amber hazy body.

Mango hop nose, with some honey.

Hoppy taste, along with the same mango from the nose. Pretty pungent.

Pleasant mouthfeel, fine-grained with a smooth body.

Decent IPA (though I normally don't prefer them)-- mango is a nice touch. (299 characters)

Furious from Surly Brewing Company