Follow our progress ...

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,491 | Ratings: 5,348
4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured out of a can. barely 30 days old.

pours a golden orange. smells of citrus, hops and malt.

taste is citrusy hops with a solid malt backbone. very good.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a dark amber with a two finger foamy off white head. Good amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is grapefruit and resinous hops.

T - The taste starts with some sweet caramel malts, orange peel and grapefruit followed by a big punch of resinous piney hops. The finish has a lingering bitter finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with a crisp dry finish.

O - A very solid IPA. The hops dominate the finish but solid nonetheless.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

Aroma is fairly malty, with notes of caramel countered by muted grapefruit, pine, and resin.

Flavor is similar, with a biting bitter finish. Lightly sweet caramel malt carries throughout, with muted grapefruit juice and lots of pith adding complexity. The finish is a bit more harsh than I'd prefer.

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Well. Can advertises citrus and pine with notes of caramel and toffee. What I got was tremendously tea forward, followed by notes of citrus, pine, caramel and toffee. Which was ok, kinda reminded me of an old Northern Hemisphere tea bomb and a young Weyerbacher Harvest Ale I had once. I like tea, but not this much. No excuses this beer is barely over one month old. Overall disapointing at best.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing!!!
A: a deep golden amber
S: nice aroma of hops & malt
T: hops upfront with a sweet malt backbone
F: so smooth
O: the balance of malt & hops is incredible. I new this beer was great & I wasn't let disappointed.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Deep amber color, good clarity. Poured modest whitish head, okay retention.

Caramel malt and a nice piney earthy hop aroma

Nice meld of malt sweetness and earthy hop flavors up front. Pine and pineapple. Nice hop bitterness in finish - assertive but not overpowering.

Med carbonation and body. No astrigency. Very slight warming.

Beautiful example of an "old school" AIPA (not overly fruity). Very clean, and full of big malt and hop flavors. Very pleasant bitterness in finish.

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From can dated 3-15-16

Look- Crystal clear, reddish, orange hue. Minimal head with nice lacing.
Smell- Pine up front, citrus in back , but also get the malt.
Taste- Perhaps this is due to an 8 wk old can, but the taste massively underwhelmed me. Stale, cardboard taste, with alcohol taste very strong on back end.
Feel- Light on tongue, otherwise appropriate for style
Overall- I wish I could try a fresh can, but I have to review on what I have. Traded a bunch of tree house with this as part of my returning end. I def got short end of the straw

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Just slightly hazy. The beer has a red and what I would call tea-like appearance. A finger + of foamy tan-ish head that quickly settles down to a ring. Minor lacing.
AROMA: I get a herbal tea quality. Big pineapple, pine and citrus. Caramel bready notes.
TASTE: Sweet right away which gives way immediately to a nice grapefruit bitterness. Lots of caramel undertones along with pine and that herbal mint quality.
FEEL: Medium thin to medium body. Carbonation is a little light, I think. A little sticky/oily up front, dries on the finish.
OVERALL: Very nice flavors. A little on the thin side, but it is a single IPA, so. I like just a bit more carbonation. The color is very nice, ruby, and tea like. (Edit: The pour is really important to the particular beer you are drinking. Poured slowly at an angle, the carbonation jumps out, which turns this into a different and better experience. Worth sacrificing the good looking head with some brews, IMO.)

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange brown with slight head, thick lacing. Floral and almost buttery notes on the scent. Crisp citrusy tasting. The slight bitterness and alcohol are more on the aftertaste. Very full mouth feel.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful Amber. Carmel and a hint a sweet fruity bubblegum, floral hops. Above average nose but very great flavors. I am really starting to like surly beer. I enjoy the complexity.

3.26/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

What was I thinking ?
(Am I being subjected to the onset of short-term memory loss ?)
I've Had Furious and several Surly beers and most (if not all) were too hoppy for me.
Yet, I let history (and mistakes) repeat itself. So, my rating reflects my being mad at myself. (I actually think that Surly celebrates the mainstream of American craft beer culture well... and so do its fans.)

My mistake seems setup by the Fates... from a limited beer list in a nice restaurant (that pushed wine), I order this can of Furious on a snowy April day.
While the aroma was interesting, the hops take over. I drank fast before any food came. By the second course (a delicate spring vegetable risotto), my taste buds nearly got back to normal. Barely.

#1 Moral of the story: don't forget what you don't like... and keep it appropriate.
#2 Moral: write your reviews so you remember what you don't like.... and can keep it appropriate.

Furious is reviewed in "1001 Beers to Taste Before You Die." (And arguable by me at least, should not be.)
So next is the existential question: Is drinking an inappropriate beer twice similar to dying twice?

3.47/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured a cloudy golden color. The hoppy, fruity smell is strong and the best part. The taste was overly hoppy for me, and almost too complex, leaving a bitter aftertaste. Not a favorite.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I purchased a four pack of cans of this from France 44 in Minneapolis, MN. Furious pours a copper hue with a moderate head and some lacing. The aroma has hints of grapefruit, pine and caramel malt. The taste has all three of those as well as a bit of bread going on. The finish is actually a bit spicy. Overall this is good but I have had better IPAs.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark orange, one finger of head that doesn't linger very long. Smell is aggressively hoppy. Taste is not as hoppy as the smell would indicate, but is warm and smooth, balanced. Taste is long-lasting. Feels creamy and gentle going down. Very nice!

2.49/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Furious has one of the most succinctly accurate label descriptions ever.

Amber red hue that's just a touch lighter than Killian's Irish Red, with a moderate, spotty beige head that dies down to nothing after a short time.

Lots of toffee aromas come off first, quickly taken over by something metallic, then something grassy or green in the background.

There are certainly caramel undertones, but this is far more bitter than I usually prefer, with those fiery hops being very present, as warned.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer poured a darker golden orange color into my Teku glass. The nose is a little more malt forward than I expected from this beer. There is a nice hop presence and a good amount of bitterness. A little more malt than I like in this type of beer. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean. A nice beer for the type but a little heavy on the malt for my taste.

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

pours a slightly hazy reddish/copper color, off white foamy head that dissipates quickly into nothing. smell is light, pine and caramel like malt with a very light lemon scent over hanging, almost like a Stone IPA. but taste is nothing like the smell, citrus dominates for a second but then that caramel malt and pine come in and mix with it, it's very balanced, leaves some stickiness on the tongue, and has a good light mouthfeel. I was actually impressed by this one. I was a little nervous with the color, but it doesn't taste much like a red IPA. Hope I can get my hands on Abrasive.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours amber in color with a nice white head that turns into a thin covering that remains on the edge of the beer throughout the pour. The nose is very malty to me, which is the opposite of what I was expecting. I pick up some biscuit and some earthy wood like flavor which I attribute to the scottish malt. There is a hint of scottish ale to this one which is a fun and unique dynamic. There is also some pine and citrus on the nose, with maybe a splash of dankness. I would guess there is a lot of simcoe hops in this one. The taste is that of a malty ipa with some some nice sticky pine residue. The feel is clean and crisp with an awesome bitterness. I keep wanting to drink more.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

The bread and butter of Surly Brewing's creations, Furious is a very solid IPA. Known for being an in your face IPA-maker, Surly has crafted Furious with extreme amount of hops that can be a little startling at first but becomes enjoyable with palate adjustment. Wonderfully flavorful but a bit on the overly bitter side.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Can poured into tulip glass. 12/8/15

L. Dark ruby brownish red. 1 finger of head with moderate lacing.
S. Sweet malty, caramel. With a touch of hops on the end.
T. A bit of sweetness up front, with some fruit notes, I'm getting mostly orange and some citrus. Nicely balanced. Some pine, bitterness, resin on the finish. Lingers for 5-10 seconds.
F. Light feel. Light carbonation.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a tall boy canned 5 weeks ago. Bold amber body with a moderate head that lasts. Aroma and taste is big malt, caramel, toast, wood and light floral hops. Maybe it's a non-representative four pack or I'm not a big fan of the Scottish malt foundation; barely got any citrus or pine flavor. Great looking beer with a clean malt bill and bitter finish, though.

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%

COD 12/1/15. Pours a lovely amber with a strong garnet cast. World class head volume, lacing and retention.

Quite outstanding nose of orange, orange rind, tropical notes (mango, pineapple), subtle pine and even more subtle spicy spruce. Underneath is a rich biscuit base that is bready with soft caramel hints.

Light medium body that is quite smooth and has creamy aspects. Normal carbonation levels with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a stronger finish.

The flavor profile is outstanding with a laid back bitterness and intensity, fairly complex and well balanced. Hops arrive in a blended fashion and never really separate, although orange is noticeable from the middle on. The middle has a moderate bitterness that is rind and pine based. A solid malt sweetness balances from the middle on, which allows the orange to shine. The finish is dry and a rind bitterness lingers. As the finish fades, a subtle spicy spruce note arrives.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aroma - orange, pine, resin, caramel malt, toast, mild anise. Fairly strong aroma.

Taste - orange, grapefruit, pine, clean bready base malt with a light caramel finish. Finishes dryer than the color suggests.

Overall - one of the best hoppy red ales.

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

came out the can a cloudy dark orangish amber--darker than I'd have expected, if I had an expectation. The head rose a scant 1/2" and left the area quickly, leaving a film. Sniffwise, got to be at least 99% grapefruit. My hopes that this one-sided character would not carry through through to the taste were quickly dashed, however. Grapefruit juice, grapefruit pulp, grapefruit pith, fresh grapefruit, boiled grapefruit . . . (activate Bubba Gump voice if desired). Not to offend grapefruit fanatics, but this is a beer I have looked forward to trying for a very long time and I could already get plenty of grapefruit bombs. Better describe the finish to make this review legit. Grapefruit. The feel is fine, I guess, if you can ignore that your mouth is full of fizzy grapefruit pulp, grapefruit juice, grapefruit pith, grapefruit rind, and possibly some bits of videotape from an old Oceanspray commercial.

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I grabbed a growler from Casanova liquor, and drank a few hours after purchasing. I pulled the growler from the fridge and poured about 5-10 minutes afterwards.

Look: the beer pours a nice Amber color, with a very thin tan head. There doesn't seem to be much carbonation in this beer, and is quite translucent.

Smell: I get a lot of citrus, mainly grapefruit. There is a slight toffee smell as well front the malt.

Taste: the taste follows the nose: grapefruit, citrus, a slight caramel taste in the middle, then back to a grapefruit bitter finish.

Feel: The beer seems a bit thin, but not bad. A dry finish leads to an extended bitterness and makes you crave more.

Overall: This is a solid IPA, but with how many greats around, I usually will grab for others before this. Perhaps if I let this warm up a bit, it would open up more.
Edit: As the growler warmed, the beer opened up, and was great!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company