Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,402
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.55/5  rDev -18%

This beer better be furious! See what I did there? I haven't mad many beers from this brewing company, but two are on our list. The first one we did wasn't very good, but I heard, after sharing our review of that one, that this is the best beer they make. I like hops, and this is a HOP BOMB coming in at 99 IBU. Do you know what IBU stands for? That means international bittering units. This is a measure of how hoppy a beer is. Humans can't taste beyond 100 IBU, but there are beers that go beyond that. Like the Green Flash Palate Wrecker. That beer, this year, was 137 IBU. It. Is. GREAT!

This beer is also served in a can. Not a lot of our beers are canned. but cans are starting to become a big deal in craft beer. Just today I saw Papago selling several beers from Ballast Point… ALL canned. Some beers taste better in the can, but that doesn't mean I want everything to start moving toward cans. Hoppy beers taste better from a can, though. You know me and hops. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The tasting notes said this beer was copper in color. It's not. It looks like any other American IPA I have had. We did a hoppy beer the other night, and I am pumped to try this one. Some buddies on Google+ said this was the best beer Surly makes. I hope, because I didn't really care for the other cans I have had. Still a fun story and awesome logo! There is a nice thin head left on this, with some insanely sticky lace. In my head I know what this tastes like… I just hope it delivers.

Nose: The nose is nice, but it isn't anything to write home about. It has some nice piney notes to it, but isn't really screaming huge hoppy flavors. This beer is 99 IBU, which is high for an American IPA. It's not high for a double IPA, but that seems high for just a regular canned IPA.

There is a hint, and I mean a subtle hint, of sweetness toward the end. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Holy hoppy goodness! I wish more daily drinking India pale ales would taste like that. It hits your palate with a punch of pine, and then as you swallow, the subtle fruity flavors start to open up. The beer is quite carbonated, but as this heats up and as this mellows out, the bubbles won't really bother me.

I will say, even after a few sips of this, the lace is still sticking to the side of the glass. Unless I grabbed a dirty glass, this beer has some impressive lace characteristics.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite carbonated. More than I would like for an American IPA. The real experience happens toward the back of the palate. It has a nice fluffy feel to it, but as you swallow, more bubbles really overtake your palate.

Aftertaste: It's not dry… but it's close. It has a nice drying sensation as you swallow and as you continue to swallow. The burp is nice, too. Of course, there is some of dinner in there. I had grilled chicken tonight, but I soaked it in hot sauce. This isn't a beer that I would chug, not one that I would give to someone that says, "Tell me more about craft beer." This is not a gateway beer.

Surly is a good brewery, don't get me wrong. But they aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Speaking of sliced bread, there have been some pretty awesome inventions since sliced bread. Like the Internet! Anyway, if you can easily grab this beer, do. I bet it is great on tap. But for $9.99 for 4 cans, it is a bit overpriced. Cheers!

07-26-2013 04:26:38 | More by rickyleepotts

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

07-25-2013 01:26:46 | More by EGolfer4
sleuthdog

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to ObiWanKushnobi for this

Poured into Shorts glass

Pour: Dark orange with reddish hues and a good three fingers off white head. Left sticky, soapy lacing when it finally did recede.

Smell: Pine (resinous), floral, somewhat citrus with a bit of pineapple. Grain and some caramel.

Taste: Again resinous pine with some grapefruit, pineapple leading into a drying bitterness. Not overly bitter at all but instead rather pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium, crisp, moderate carbonation. Again quite dry on the finish creating the need for another sip.

Overall: Very drinkable IPA and enjoyable.

07-25-2013 01:08:12 | More by sleuthdog

07-19-2013 03:46:46 | More by moonknight31
VelvetExtract

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a reasonably clear hue. Copper body. I think chill haze is the only haze I see. This ale Boasts a short, stocky, compact head. Very clingy lacing.

S-Furious! Hoppy! Huge whiffs of hoppy deliciousness. It doesn't necessarily jump out of the glass but when you stick your nose in there, you really notice the power within the aroma. A bit dank, with some green onions. Grapefruit cocaine shooting up my nose too. There is also a solid dosage of caramel and sweet bread.

T-So hoppy but so shockingly balanced. Aggressive hoppiness married to a sexy malt bill. Hops on top of sweet bread. Reminds me a lot of Maine's Zoe except definitely more aggressive. Grapefruit, grass, herbal, floral and righteously spicy in its hoppiness. But then, a sultry maltiness just absolutely weds the hoppiness. Sweet popover malt meets hop-melee.

M-Bitter all day. Bitterness just sticks and lasts. I hate having to savor this can because I want nine more just for the night.

O/D-I have heard in the past that this is more of an aggressively hoppy Amber than an IPA. I agree and that may be why I love this beer so much. Its hoppiness is better composed than 97% of the IPAs out there and it also has a delectable malt backing. What a gem.

07-19-2013 00:00:58 | More by VelvetExtract