2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,470 | Reviews: 1,351 | Show All Ratings:
ajramirez1

Washington

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at MSP Airport. Amber looking color for an American IPA. Seemed odd. Had to actually look it up on iPad as I didn't trust the man telling me the flight order as he looked confused. Damn nubes.

Beer is OK. Nothing special. May have been an old keg but not an excuse. Its a good beer but I don't think its top 120 beers at all on BA.

Coming from the west coast, might I add. Where's the hops at???
A-

03-18-2014 16:15:51 | More by ajramirez1
DrCDPriest

3.64/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hop rich flavor and aroma, sharp crisp hop taste with a hint of grapefruit bitterness, followed by a mellower malt and hop finish. Very nice layering of flavors. Similar experience to Arrogant Bastard. Beautiful deep clear amber/dark brown color, tasted great with chargrilled steak.

02-14-2014 12:43:34 | More by DrCDPriest
joeseppy

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Over 3,000 reviews, I'll be brief. Served op-tap.

Ruby emerald in color with low dissipating head.

Aroma was muted for me. Hops, resinous and citrusy.

Taste big on citrus, heavy on the malt and just the right amount of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel was on the thick side and heavy.

Not really spectacular for me. A decent fare enough.

02-03-2014 02:51:29 | More by joeseppy
pweis909

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%

Reddish color that always thrills. Foam does not persist long. A bit of chill haze also doesn't last. I perhaps didn't linger long enough on the aroma as I don't recall it. Taste was quite nice with a balance of crystal sweetness to stand up to assertive bitterness and complement fruity hop character. The body of the beer is a little heavy and the abc is higher than my sweet spot. Still, this seemed like a great pairing with what would otherwise have been an over spiced peppery jambalaya.

01-06-2014 11:32:52 | More by pweis909
Dad_of_Rad

4.16/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Dark copper, clear. 1" head with lacing that is prevalent on the glass as the beer is consumed.

S: Piney, citrus with other floral qualities.

T: Caramel with lots of resinous qualities. Bitterness lingers long. The bitterness definitely stronger than the caramel backing, but in line with the style.

M: Thinner medium body. Sticky, not overly carbonated.

O: Very good example of an American IPA. Flavorful with good bitterness but with enough malt backbone to be substantial but not the focus. Hops are definitely the star here.

11-24-2013 02:01:21 | More by Dad_of_Rad
1sophrosyne1

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on draught in a college improv bar in Minneapolis.
Pours an unexpected red amber with nice clarity. Fine carbonation, but only a thin fleeting head.
The nose highlights pine and spiced apples and pears on a foundation of malt. Hay and raisin come through, as well. Very complex--almost intoxicating in itself before a sip.
Clean and bronzey with dried stone and harvest fruits bonded to an early sweet caramel note. Then grapefruit and pine rush into a bright, bitter peak. It falls into an oily metallic resin finish.
Clean and light at the start. Opens into medium body balanced nicely with carbonation. Just a bit more heft and chew would be nice.
Thicker and weightier would be absolutely stellar. But this is a great craft with complex flavor together with very easy drinkability for its size.

10-23-2013 00:48:40 | More by 1sophrosyne1
XavierK31

South Dakota

4.99/5  rDev +15%

Hands down one of my favorite beers. Red in color... Very aggressive but at the same time very well balanced. A citrus aroma, with some hints of pine and oak. 99 IBUs I believe, but Surly knows how to balance the hops with other flavors. It's an IPA that goes down very smooth.

07-09-2013 16:49:43 | More by XavierK31
Sark

Montana

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance- a half finger of off-white head, this beer had a dark red hue with little carbonation

Smell- Caramel malts with a slight citrus zing, earthy notes on the back end

Taste- With caramel maltiness and citrus hops in the beginning, it then made a switch to a bread centered and light yeast/ grassy mid-mouth, there was a bitter finish that hung around for a while

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with some alpha bitterness left on the tongue

Overall- Very nice for one pint as it feels a little heavier than you'd expect

07-02-2013 03:21:19 | More by Sark
Stevedore

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz pour on draft at Keegan's in downtown Mnpls today 3/30/2013.

Aroma: lots of grapefruit, pine and even some grassiness. But mostly grapefruit. Comes off very pungent and strong, makes for a nice sensory appetizer before I actually quaff it. (4)

Color: a very nice, clear bodied beer with a copper, orange colour. Poured with less than 1cm white head that goes away quickly. Really thick, sticky lacing making for a nice visual appearance as I drink it down. (4)

Flavour: Awesome. I get all sorts of hop flavours- primarily grapefruit but also a little bit of piney sap to go along with a bready sweetness hinting of honey and caramel. Really nice hopblast throughout. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: precisely medium bodied with great carbonation that comes with a strong bitter aftertaste. It's pungent in the mouth- really resinous and coats my tongue. Overall, really nice mouthfeel for a standard IPA. Not very dry tasting at all. (4)

Overall: A great IPA offering by Surly, which is a brewery that already impresses me after having just the Bender and Furious. Looking forward to quaffing the Abrasive that I'm bringing home! (4)

03-31-2013 02:25:03 | More by Stevedore
xmorgan

Had on tap at Señor Wong in St Paul.

Appearance: Amber (poor lighting) A small white head and no real lacing

Smell: Nice hoppy aroma comes through with pine

Taste: Nice Hoppy English style IPA, good balance of hop biterness and malt prescence.

Overall: a very good IPA on the English coming from Cali I am a big IPA and hop-head and this beer is very drinkable and satisfying!

03-23-2013 02:58:40 | More by xmorgan
MNmurray

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I work at a bar which serves furious and needless to say It is my go-to for after work occasions.

A: Reddish amber hue, white thick head with hints of yellow.

S: One of the best smelling beers I have had. You can immediately smell coriander and spice once the tap is pulled. Smells fresh and bitter.

T: Sharp and crisp. Taste is strong and fresh, with a gin like quality. Very complex- Imagine a citrus bread with nodes of pepper. Just have to try it for yourself!

M: tingly and warm (in the spice sense)

O: One of the best pale ales I have had, and being although being a minnesota native makes me biased, I just can't get enough of the stuff. I am a smaller guy- about 160, so after about 2.5 of these I feel pretty buzzed and full. This beer will fill you up!

01-28-2013 19:38:39 | More by MNmurray
Justin_Neff

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours a dark reddish coppery color. Teetering on almost a brown color. Not a lot of head but leaves a thin lacey ring around the edge of the beer.

S: Strong hoppy aroma. Definite hints of citrus.. Lemon, Grapefruit, and piney with grassy smell. Floral. Pure awesomeness. Perfect.

T: Tastes exactly how you expect from the smell. Well balance hoppiness without a strong sugary malty flavor. Starts very citrusy, and Grassy and piney tastes linger during the finish, as the smell would suggest. This is exactly what I want an IPA to taste like.

M: Pretty light bodied with a higher than normal carbonation for an IPA.

O: I have very little else to say other than this is phenomenal. A great first Surly experience.

10-02-2012 00:22:50 | More by Justin_Neff
Ilafan

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay. I've learned to appreciate this one more. I'm not falling for the cult (not drinking this kool-aid?), but it's better on the third or fourth time around. The first time I tried this, the extreme bitterness made me gag and trade it off to my friend for his Summit Pale Ale (a beer I still find preferable to Furious, by the way). But after a few more tries, I "get" it, I guess. The hoppiness is harsh, and it isn't balanced with any malt or softer fruits, but that's the point. It will never be my first choice, and I much prefer Bender or Abrasive, but this isn't as "meh" as I used to think it to be.

08-18-2012 22:15:54 | More by Ilafan
squidtrick

Washington

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

A: A medium amber color with a thick white head

S: Hoppy, with a strong pine smell and some citrus

T: Piney, bitter, but not too bitter. A bit of malt.

M: Medium bodied, smooth with good carbonation. Very drinkable.

O: Fantastic. A really great IPA.

05-18-2012 02:09:35 | More by squidtrick
JeanoRocks

This beer definitely lets you know you're drinking it. All the elements stand out, yet they still get along with each other. This is a hoppy beer with notes of citrus that is good with a meal or all night imbibing. It's got a great finish with high drink-ability. This is a beer lover's beer.

05-17-2012 20:40:56 | More by JeanoRocks
ScottGJ

I had this beer in a bar and given my scores compared to everyone elses, I must have had something else?....but I double checked and the waitress insured me it was Furious.

This beer had the appearance of "mudwater", I half expected to see a carp in the glass. I see now why it is packaged in a can.

I love a very hoppy beer and generally put 8-10oz of Centennial in my 5 gallon batches of American Ale. Sure, this beer was heavily hopped, but the hops did not complement one another nor did it complement the beer.

The malt in the beer seemed weak/watered down, there was very little "mouth feel" for a beer with such a high ether content.

The taste and smell was like old gym socks as a result of an improper yeast/hop/malt combination....or there was contamination in the brewing cycle.

I've brewed since the mid 80's and sure I have made some creative disasters myself. In my life I have refused to drink 2 commercial beers, one was a Miller someone bought me and the other was this Surley Furious. Want a good hoppy beer, try a bells Two Hearted Ale, or better yet, make your own :-)

04-03-2012 17:39:38 | More by ScottGJ
Jimmys

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

served on-tap at Churchkey in DC for the Surly takeover. pretty pumped to get this w/out having to trade or travel! poured into becher, review from notes:

A: dark orange, almost ruby. head is reddish/white and leaves a sticky lacing behind. retention is decent.

S: super floral. sticky grapefruit. mangos. reminds me a lot of Bell's Two Hearted. caramel behind the fruity hops works well and gives a sugary sweetness into the end of the nose.

T: green grapes. kiwi's. a little bit of black pepper/spicy rye. finish leaves a lasting bitterness and is rather dry.

M: moderate to full carbonation on a very medium body.

D: interesting how different the hop profile is on the nose versus the palate. at least to me. the dry finish and well-balanced body makes this very quaffable. jealous of native MN'ers who have this as their go-to american IPA.

03-13-2012 10:38:16 | More by Jimmys
GoldHorde

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

I had the blessed pleasure of repeated on-tap servings of Surly's Furious IPA over the last two years. Naturally I had many varieties of craft IPA's in between. I had a building score list of IPA's and each time I had another opportunity to tip back a Furious - I had to shake my head and exclaim, "DAM!". There are some really great IPA's out there but I've found no one who can balance it like Surly in their Furious offering. A gorgeous dark swatch down from amber and a sharp scent of heavenly evergreen that belies the balance you about to taste. This beer surprises you everytime by returning you HOME - it is as like the TARE on a beer scale. Some beers can take you high on various notes but Surly Furious is the new standard by which all other beers must measure themselves. I dropped the score on 'mouthfeel' to 4.5 only because I feel the need to leave room for another beer to challenge the perfection of Surly's Furious. Of possible, only a creamy mouthfeel could perfect Furious.

03-03-2012 04:11:21 | More by GoldHorde
doucmehu

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this many times, reviewing a tap pour from Sawatdee at lunch with spicy papaya salad.

A: Slightly hazy orange tinted amber with a nice fluffy white head. Tons of lacing tells me this is one sticky beer.

S: Hop assault brings lots of pine and slightly sweet pink grapefruit and bitterness. Not much malt here.

T: Tons of resinous pine hops, orange peel, sweet citrus fruit and a slightly sweet malt presence to smooth things out. There is some seriously bold flavor here, and nothing fades or becomes too one dimensional. While not overly complex, everything is spot on and holds together very well sip after sip (gulp).

M: Very sticky hops cut nicely by sharp carbonation and a very solid body. Tons of hop bitterness as the aftertaste sets in, particularly on the back of the tongue. Doesn't leave you dry, and the flavors really stick around for a while.

O: Having had this beer on a somewhat regular occasion for several years, it is never a letdown. This is an excellent example of a hopped up beer, executing the style with absolute precision. It is very difficult to not order another one.

02-15-2012 04:02:30 | More by doucmehu
stealth

3.45/5  rDev -20.5%

I'm drinking pine needles! That was my first impression. Half-way through my glass I couldn't feel my mouth anymore. This was the first real extreme bitter, hoppy beer I had and I will never forget it. The aroma reminded me the that Sobe Adrenaline energy drink that was made years ago. I'll be avoiding this one in the future, but hop-heads wanting a balanced face-melter will enjoy this one.

01-12-2012 10:33:36 | More by stealth
kojevergas

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

Served on-draught into a pilsner glass in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were moderate. I can't recall the price.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and good retention. Colour is a semitransparent amber.

Sm: Very hoppy. Some cream. Moderate in strength.

T: Very hoppy, but luckily these lads at Surly understand the value of balance. Very flavorful and tasty. Some toasted malt in the foundation is pleasant. Nice cream. Very well balanced (rare for an IPA)m and pretty well built. Fairly complex.

Mf: Smooth, wet, crisp, refreshing, and pleasant. Suits the flavours.

Dr: Very drinkable for the style, not falling prey to the pitfalls of overdone coarseness and bitterness. One of the few IPAs I'd have again.

12-19-2011 03:41:09 | More by kojevergas
Tucquan

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on 2011-11-16 in Maple Grove, MN at the 3 Squares restaurant.

A - Clear caramel-amber with a 1-finger, white head with very good, ringed lacing.

S - Lots of pine and hop bud oils. Mild tropical. Despite the cooking smells in this restaurant, the strong aroma cuts through.

T - Lots of flavor. Pine then hop forward orange rind and hop cone oils with a bit of dankness. Sweet grapefruit and orange flesh and peel. More pine and some caramel malt sweetness. It leans more towards pine than bright citrus although both are significantly present. As it dries, the caramel sweetness sticks around for awhile; slowly yielding to the citrus zest and pine.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation. Smooth and moderately crisp.

O - Really fine brew. I liked it as well from the fresh cans as on-tap.

11-21-2011 18:54:22 | More by Tucquan
OleJohnnieAle

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can not ever go wrong with this one, have had it in can and on tap at pubs and even the brewery and it is always one thing... AMAZING!

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper color, about a finger of head with some decent lacing

S - Hoppy citrus with some earthy tones

T - Strong IPA bitterness from the get go but it is not too overpowering and finished rather sweet. Great balance of all the flavors.

M - Great carbonation and great balance make this beer go down way too fast.

O - Great IPA and by far one of my favorite beers. Great fresh at the brewery or out of a can.

Serving type: This time on tap but also out of a can... It's all good!

11-06-2011 03:49:50 | More by OleJohnnieAle
DCon

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

Enjoyed on-tap w/ ChrisF @ the Surly Brewing Company's Darkness Day 2011 in Brooklyn Center, MN for $5. Tapped from the black and plain handle into a 12oz Surly Cup.

Aroma- Huge citrusy aroma and definitely throws a punch at your nose! Grassy notes are in here as well. Great for the style!

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger, bubbly head that stays for a bit of time. Has a dark copper body with orange tint in here. Leaves decent lacing behind, surprisingly.

Flavor- Has an extreme hop flavor that I'm not too thrilled about... WAY Too much bitterness and over emphasis on the hop flavor and not enough citrus and malt character. If you do want hop for breakfast or lunch, this is for you!

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and hop takes over the mouth. Not anything I would be able to finish in a short period of time.

Overall Impression- A WAY too viscous brew for the day I'm about to have here.... Let ChrisF enjoyed some of mine as well since I wanted to go through many more brews. A good one, just not the amount of hop in an IPA I wanted at the time....

10-23-2011 20:37:40 | More by DCon
powellmg

4.47/5  rDev +3%

A deep copper-colored beer with a persistent head and nice lacing. Intense hops aroma. Huge depth of flavor balanced by toasted malts. Long finish.

Like a lot of great beers, it's hard for me to pick out individual flavors in the complexity of the whole. Overall, outstanding. An aspirant beer.

10-20-2011 01:12:21 | More by powellmg