1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,462 | Reviews: 1,351 | Show All Ratings:
russwbeck

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Side by side with Furious on-tap at a Surly tapping at Churchkey in DC. Centennial hops lend their leafy selves to the beer inside the cask.

A: Hazy yellow orange pour with a finger of bubbly white head. The retention isn't as good as the on-tap offering was, but the haziness of the body makes up for it.

S: The aroma is a littler more sweet, with the fruit playing a bigger role. Citrus mostly with only a slight pine note.

T: When I think about a word to describe the taste...it's muted. Fruit forward, dry and bitter as an afterthought. Mostly all citrus. It does have a clean finish.

MF: Heavy body for an American IPA, with a below average carbonation (obviously, this beer was in the cask!). Sort of bitter with a dry finish. It was stil pretty drinkable, however, you just didn't get a lot of flavor.

O: A bit disappointed. The hops in the cask don't really add any real discernable difference in flavor, sadly. It was good, just not as good as the tap version. Probably would skip this next time.

08-27-2012 01:55:51 | More by russwbeck
wscaffe

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Obtained this in a BIF from surlytwinsfan.

A - Crimson/amber in color. Good clarity. One finger creamy white head consisting of many tiny bubbles. Leaves a decent lacing on glass.

S - Citrus and pine aromas from the hops. Sweet caramel, coffee and toffee aromas as well.

T - Piney and citrus hops linger on the palate. Hints of grapefruit. I get some toffee flavors as well. I enjoy the aggressive chewiness from the hops. Very well balanced.

M - Medium bodied. Good carbonation with pleasant creaminess throughout.

Overall a very unorthodox IPA. This beer is extremely enjoyable. The pine and citrus hops are fantastic. Surly knows how to make a damn good canned beer. Other than Daisy Cutter this is one of the best canned beer I have ever had.

08-12-2011 03:04:30 | More by wscaffe
HoppyHachey

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I like Furious a lot and to me the Tea Bagged Furious seemed watered down or less flavorful, or dare I say, even tasted kind of flat. I did, however, enjoy it at the time I had it. After two Pentagrams and a Brown-Eye I needed something less flavorful. It did go down a little more smooth than the normal bite of the Furious. But boy do I love that bite.

02-22-2011 04:54:13 | More by HoppyHachey
abuliarose

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into a bulbous pint glass, revealing rich amber brown body with a tall thick and active pale brown head. Nice lacing. Smells like hops of the floral, meaty sweet variety with a good and vanilla/caramel-centered malt backbone. Very promising smells.

Tastes also very meaty with a good dose of hops. Some sweetness from the malt up front, but all is overtaken by the metallic bitterness of the hops and a little tannic astringency. Clean, watery finish. Carbonation is actually barely there and needle-prick tingly for what is there. Thin, watery light body. Drinks like water too until the dryness sets in. Very drinkable.

Overall it's nice. I would like to try it fresh and on tap sometime.

11-04-2010 02:02:10 | More by abuliarose
tewaris

"Tea Bagged" Furious (I think tea-bagged just stands for dry-hopped, on-cask version of Furious)
Surly Brewing Co.
American IPA
6.2-6.5 % ABV
OG?
99 IBUs
On cask at Stub & Herb's; poured into a 16 oz. pint glass

Appearance 5/5

Deep orange red; massive foam because of the cask that took a while to settle to an alright white/off-white head. Clear, but not as clear as canned version. Great lacing, decent retention.

Aroma 5/5

Descriptors aside, simply awesome. Very very grassy, you can tell it's generously hopped and generously dry-hopped. Earthy? I don't detect any citrusy notes here, although the brewery says so... piney maybe? Very pleasant and intense. Tea-bagged is a suitable adjective. Herbal and fresh. And the smell never ever fades!

Taste 5/5 & Mouthfeel 5/5

Exactly like the aroma. This is the only beer that has had me burping hops! Starts slightly fruity sweet, full of grassy hop flavor, and a bitter, clean finish. Not as crisp and carbonated as the regular canned version; quite silky actually.

Drinkability 5/5

Very very easy drinking beer.

Other

Furious might not be terribly complex, but it is what it says, furious! Must have for every hophead!!

08-18-2010 07:38:06 | More by tewaris
jampics2

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

"Tea Bagged Furious" = On cask at Dark Lord Day 2010. Thanks to Melissa for sharing about 4oz of her pour with us.

Looks good. Orangeish red and full of sea monkeys (sediment).

Smell is up there with any beer ever. Smells of citrus and an overwhelming pine. Fresh cut X-Mas trees. Deck the halls, this is probably the best smelling IPA ever.

Taste is nicely furious. Huge hop flavor, grapefruit, dank herbs. Pine sticks to my teeth. Good amount of malt to balance, but it's sweet and lets the hops take over.

Mouthfeel was bubbly and bright.

Drinkability was also wonderful. A hyped up beer that delivered. Try on sight, I have a can of the non tea-bagged to try - can't wait!!
---
Update

Having had this in can as fresh as 2 weeks from stamped date, I can say this beer is just as good fresh as I remember. Sure, the tea-bagged version is a special treat on cask, but a can less than a month old is such a fine beer!

04-26-2010 21:59:16 | More by jampics2
abrand

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Tea bagged Furious cask at DLD 2010 brought to me by fellow BA hooliganlife.

The pour is hazy orange with loads of sediment that set at the base of the cup. Smells of hops, citrus fruits, and pines. Smell was unbelievable but the hops completely dominated everything else. Taste is similar with an abundance of hops and citrus fruits. Sediment gets washed down with every sip. Mouthfeel is crispy and medium bodied. Drinkability is way above average. I am so glad I got to try this rarity that will never be available to me again most likely.

04-26-2010 03:17:41 | More by abrand
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

TEA BAGGED FURIOUS poured from a cask at dark lord day 2010

this was beyond murky. TONS of sediment floating around. light orange in color. no head.

huge floral and citrus hops just crushed the nose. some was spilled from the first keg and the hops lingered around the tent, it ruled. but huge floral hops mainly dominated.

this was all hops, there were no malts. the floral hops dominated with a very flower like flavor. huge citrus followed but a sweet citrus and very faint bitterness. i even found part of a hop leaf in my cup. amazing.

very full body, kind of chewy but went down very smooth.

this was the highlight of my day. i could not stop drinking this and everyone that had a sip, loved it. it speaks for itself.

04-25-2010 02:11:23 | More by hooliganlife
blackenmn

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Served from cask into a standard pint glass:

Appearance and Smell:Served a creamy slighty hazed orange with a bit of amber hue to it, the head was very creamy, smooth, and had great retention. Smelled of sweet citrus and caramel, a bit more malt on the nose than fresh canned furious. Typical pine aroma took a backseat a bit more than usual.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Tasted of luscious citrus and caramel with a complimentary subdued piney hop presence due to the cask conditioning. It felt creamy and a bit more frothy than usual with minimal carb as expected. No heavy tea presence noticeable.

Drinkability:Extremely drinkable. I enjoyed a couple of these and will definitely have more down the road, on a different level than canned furious but definitely not in a bad way. Any IPA with a great malt profile should be about this tasty on cask I'd suspect. mmm-mmm

02-21-2010 01:07:52 | More by blackenmn
younger35

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

I've had this brew many times but never got around to reviewing it (and by many I probably mean like 3-4 times). As I was clearing out the notes on my phone I found this one from Darkness Day '09. Dry hopped with Simcoe. Drank from a fancy smancy plastic cup.

Appearance- Pours a light reddish orange with a beautifully fluffy one finger bright white head with redonkulous staying power. About a half inch head is maintained the entire beer with rings and rings of thick lacing left in my king's chalice.
Smell- Fairly subdued, especially compared to the normal version but damned nice. Some light fruits consisting of pineapple and peach permeate my plastic vessel. I'd even dare say that the nose is almost more floral than it is fruity. Has a nice lilac or rose scent that's nice but nothing manly. Not sure why but the tea-bagged version is so much smoother around than edges than regular, but it is.
Taste- Again, a bit softer around the edges. Still plenty fruity and plenty bitter with that piney edge I love. Some grapefruit pith as the bitterness is initial but sort of melds into this wonderfully piney goodness. One thing I love about Furious is that a little malt is actually noticeable (unlike most west coast gems) with a touch of caramel and toast. Again, tastes a lot like the regular, just toned down. Nothing that discernibly tastes like tea though.
Mouthfeel- Rich and creamy with a nice full feel and silky smooth cask carbonation.
Drinkability- No way you could call this beer anything but super drinkable. Anything on cask is amazing first of all, but just the fact that it's a rounded Furious is enough to know it's great. I'm not real sure how much the dry hopped Simcoe added but either way; badass brew!

01-05-2010 18:44:14 | More by younger35
dudemuskie

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Enjoyed cask conditioned pint during a special meet the founder night at Sheffields in Chicago!

App- Hazy, deep orange/light amber color with a big, creamy, persistent 2 finger head.

Aroma- Loads uf bright citrusy hops backed by a slight, caramely sweetness. Aroma is refreshing in itself. A hint of noticeable alcohol, but not hot or solvent like.

Flavor- More hops! Loads of citrus (candied orange and orange peel), hints of grassy green hops, and a touch of nicely balancing sweet caramel malt rounds off this delightful IPA.

Mouth- Low CO2 from cask conditioning and a bit of a dry-ish finish keeps you coming back for more...hops linger in this dry but slightly sticky finish. Great IPA and highly recommended if you can come across it on cask (especially in the summer time)!

11-21-2009 21:04:24 | More by dudemuskie
gloobygloob

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A beautiful thick white head atop a copper orange body. unfortunately this was served in a plastic cup and I wasn't able to examine it fully.

Smelled like a pine tree, wonderful. Quite a bit of citrus and slimy hops penetrate your nose and beat it into submission.

Initially you get slammed with bitterness and a bit of carbonation. It finishes a bit sweeter than it starts with some citrus to balance it out nicely.

Mostly just dry punishing bitterness that left me smiling the whole way. I finished my cup slowly, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Would have gotten another one but I had to drive home.

Imagine a mildly carbonated cask aged furious with a pine air freshener in your glass. Delicious

11-03-2009 14:05:40 | More by gloobygloob
pmccallum86

EDIT: Some individual just merged Tea Bagged Furious with regular Furious. This review is for Tea Bagged Furious.

Had on cask at Darkness Day 2009. "Tea bagged" with simcoe hops.

Appearance is a dark red golden hazy bubbly body with a thick large head.

Smell is of piney simcoe hops, heavily, and a caramel malt aroma.

The taste is of hops, lots of hops. Piney simcoe and grapefruit smack you in the mouth and say man up bitch! Sweet complex malt undertones compliment the hops amazingly.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel with bitterness that endures on the tongue.

Very drinkable for such an envelope expanding beer, so good. best IPA in the world.

10-29-2009 04:48:59 | More by pmccallum86
jera1350

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had a chance to sample this fine brew at Darkness Day 2009. Deep copperish red color with a nice layer of tan foam. Smells of pure hops. Citrusy and piney. Comparing the taste to regular Furious, this has a larger hop profile and a lesser malt profile. Hops dominate. Sweet and bitter citrus and piney hops slap the tongue silly. Smooth as can be and soft on the palate. Hops can overwhelm a bit so drinkability is good. A nice variation to an outstanding IPA.

10-28-2009 02:07:55 | More by jera1350
Dotcubed

Arkansas

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

I had this on saturday's darkness day, I'm reciting from memory.

Got served in a plastic cup, I didn't think to bring my own glass or enough cash money to buy one. Looked like a hazy orange IPA. I usually buy bender of cynic ale so I thought it was going to be redder. More fragrant than I expected.

Surprisingly smooth. Clean hop flavor. Very pleasant.
Could have had a full pint easily.

Personally I generally like a darker beer.

10-27-2009 02:30:48 | More by Dotcubed
RyWill

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Served on cask at Sheffield's in Chicago.

Appearance: Darker amber with a airy 1-2 finger head that becomes more subdued as you make your way down the glass. Lack of carbonation is noticeable.

Smell: Hops, citrus, and overly apparent malt that you come to expect from this beer.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is amazing. The smell of the hops and malt translates to a perfect balance in the taste. Mouth feel is incredibly smooth, especially on cask, with a sort of creamy quality you don't normally get with IPAs.

Drinkability: On tap you could drink this beer forever, on cask it gets taken to another level. I think I mentioned to my girlfriend at least 5 times through each of the two I had how delicious it was.

Certainly one of the best IPAs out there due to it's balance and general taste and a beer that is even more special on cask. If you see it, drink it.

08-26-2009 19:26:42 | More by RyWill
alcstradamus

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a review for Tea Bagged Furious

My first sample at the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest. I didn't take thorough notes, but rather focused on getting my scores correct for entry.

This was very bitter yet also very easy drinking, I thought it was nearly identical to regular Furious only with a much better nose on it and a thicker mouthfeel (comparing cask to can though). Overall it was a great beer that I would like to have again in a larger quantity.

08-09-2009 17:25:43 | More by alcstradamus
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

This is Tea Bagged Furious.

Poured into a pint-like glass at Grumpys. Got to enjoy this with Brad (Mistofminn), Justin (justn) and Al (feloniousmonk).

Pours 2 fingers of beige head. Very hazed golden copper. Great retention. Lace is very unique. Kind of like pop fizz that sticks to the glass.

Aroma: Sweet and hoppy. Some caramel, which is what I always get out of IPAs, apricot, mangoes, and sweet lemons.

Taste: Very fruity, but has a nice floral hop taste to back it up. A lot of the same fruits from the aroma along with the sweet caramel.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Hardly bitter at all. I love the mouthfeel as it is so refreshing. Ends with a slight hoppy aftertaste, but so clean. No dry stickiness going on.

Overall, this beer is great. I am pretty sure this beer is better than regular furious (even though it is really the same beer). Very drinkable. I like the fact that it doesn't have the ipa bite or leave the typical ipa mouthfeel. Try this beer if you get a chance. Nice job Surly.

07-24-2009 17:42:30 | More by mothman
Mistofminn

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Lets make this very clear. This is the review for "Tea-Bagged Furious." The two were recently merged (understandably so) but I want my reviews seperate.

Absolutely had to make this one. I was content on going alone, but thankfully I was joined by mothman and justn. Even Al (feloniousmonk) showed up!

Served in a standard pint glass, this one looks similar but slightly different than the normal Furious. Same color beer (dark red-amber), and head (off white). This was slightly hazy. In my opinion, just an overall better looking beer. I love unfiltered beers for some reason.

The nose is much lighter than I expected. Typical Furious bitterness, with light citrus and grapefruit, along with a piney and resiny hop aroma. Little to no malt is detectable in the nose.

The taste is what surprises you. I have read a few reviews for this, and what strikes me as odd is that some people describe this as overwhelming hoppiness. If anything, for me, there wasn't enough bitterness. The big shocker in this one, is how incredibly mellow this one is. Very light bitterness, while still holding on to the best qualities of the taste of the hops. I still get a substantial amount of citrus hops, but it's so damn mellow! Justn described it before hand as "bubble-gummy." While a strange description, I totally see what he means. It's not bubble-gummy in the way that is tastes like artificial sugar and all that junk, but it's very sweet and "chewy," so to speak.

The mouthfeel is most likely the smoothest and cleanest IPA I have ever had. Maybe it's because it was cask conditioned, maybe it's because it was "Tea-bagged." Frankly, I don't care, this is some good stuff. Drinkability is very high.

I am ecstatic that I got a chance to try this. I have never seen this in the cities, and I'm glad I jumped at the opportunity to try it. Great company and great beer.

My only complaint is that after trying it, I didn't get a chance to "Tea-Bag" Omar, who left minutes after we arrived. Kudos, Surly!

07-18-2009 04:05:30 | More by Mistofminn
nrbw23

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

From the cask at Dark Lord Day 2009. After all the guest taps and special released FFF my palate was completly trashed but I had room for this one the last of the day for me.

A- Pours a hazy orange color kind of reminded me of grapefruit juice just in the color. Thin white head little lacing.

S- Smells of fresh hops mainly citrus and floral. Can't really pick up anything else.

T- Hops everywhere and a touch of malts.

M- Medium in body and very low carbonation.

D- Very awesome brew wish this was available in Ohio.

05-30-2009 22:24:59 | More by nrbw23
Damian

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

Drank from a cask at Dark Lord Day 2009
Served in a plastic cup

The beer poured a turbid, orangey-amber color with a small, bubbly cap of off white froth. Within seconds, the head disappeared completely. Chunks of floaties gathered at the bottom of the cup.

The aroma was quite hoppy. Fruity and citrusy with notes of candied orange peel. Semi-sweet caramel malts were noticeable as well.

The taste was rather weak in flavor but quite bitter. Citrus fruits (orange and grapefruit peel) came through strong. Very little malt presence. The resonating finish was piney, dry and super bitter. With each sip, the beer left a rather hot trail down my throat.

The mouthfeel was typical for a cask ale. Quite watery and thin with a super fine and nearly nonexistent carbonation.

Drinkability was poor. The combination of hoppy bitterness, mild carbonation, lack of body and warm-ish temperature made putting down this five ounce pour a real challenge.

This beer was a real disappointment. I have a bias against most hoppy cask conditioned ales (in my opinion, hoppy IPAs and DIPAs generally taste better when they are slightly more chilled than malt dominant brews) and I felt that this one in particular did not work. I love Furious but the Tea Bagged version is too overwhelmingly bitter and one-dimensional for my palate.

05-05-2009 03:05:49 | More by Damian
brdc

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -34.8%

Had this on two different occasions, on tap both times. Did not want to review on my first time as I did not like it, and wanted to be sure before.

It is a hazy brew, colored somewhere between orange, brown and yellow, appears thicker than it feels. Minimal head.
Aroma is a sign of what is to come, an intense hoppiness with almost exclusively citric notes.
Medium bodied, with an intense, overwhelming hoppiness, with malts nowhere to be found. A bitter assault that unfortunately, IMHO, left a lot to be desired as no other flavors can be noticed. Markedly inferio to regular Furious.

05-04-2009 02:16:06 | More by brdc
Thorpe429

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

EDIT: This is Tea-Bagged Furious before it was merged.

From the cask at Dark Lord Day 2009. After all the guest stouts that FFF was throwing my way, this one was a nice change of pace. It took a bit to get used to all the hops coming my way, but after that this was one damn good beer.

A: Hazy orange with some copper/brown hues to it. White head and lacing.

S: Lots of fresh, fresh hops. Both floral and citrus, as well as some earthy tones.

T: Hops, hops, and more hops. Sort of an earthy undertone in contrast to the sweeter, maltier base on the Furious.

M: Medium bodied and a little oily, but other than that, very good.

D: The slightly-oily mouthfeel keeps this one from being the absolute all-star for the style that Furious is, but this is another very solid offering coming from the folks up in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

05-01-2009 15:25:18 | More by Thorpe429
Deuane

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

A transcription from notes taken at Great Taste of the Midwest.

A- Murky, hazy brownish orange with a thin white head that dissipates to a thin ring.

S- A pleasant combination of deep, earthiness and a hit of floral and citrus hops. Finishes with a flurry of herbalness.

T-Big initial pop of floral and citrus hop flavours. Backing from a bit of caramel sweetness, a musty earthy feel and that same finishing swirl of herbal qualities.

M-Medium bodied with a very smooth, crisp character. Long lasting flavours and bitterness.

D-Great stuff....Furious taken to a higher plane! I really like all of herbal qualities, it really compliments the malt body.

04-29-2009 16:14:39 | More by Deuane
rhinos00

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

From notes @ DLD 2009. Poured from the firkin into a plastic cup.

A- Looks almost as if someone mixed brown and orange paint together and then added a murky, hazy quality to it. Not the prettiest, but I'm sure dressing it up in a glass would have been slightly better (probably not). Has a thin white head that dissipates pretty quickly.

S- Very interesting indeed. Got a nice whiff of floral and citrus hops, yet there was an earth, herbal aroma that was quite distinct from the Furious I remember.

T- Initially had the typical floral, citrus hops flavor. Well balanced and offered a perfect bitterness. As the beer progressed down the palate, the earthiness came out and finished with an herbal bang.

M- Smooth, clean and crisp.

D- You can't get much more drinkable than this. The taste combined with the inability to detect the higher ABVs really separates this beer from others.

Overall, I had this one circled on list as soon as the guest tap lists were announced. Well worth the wait.

04-27-2009 02:38:29 | More by rhinos00