Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,478
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Ratings: 4,837 | Reviews: 1,455
4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another Minnesota staple... The best damn beer in a can. Period.

Everything that I could say about it's appearance ect. has already been said over and over again time and time again. The fact of the matter is this is a world class IPA on so many different levels... So damn drinkable... So damn tasty... So damn beautiful (the lace left behind by this behemoth of a brew is simply legendary...)... A must try if you are within range of this delectable brew...

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Dark copper, clear. 1" head with lacing that is prevalent on the glass as the beer is consumed.

S: Piney, citrus with other floral qualities.

T: Caramel with lots of resinous qualities. Bitterness lingers long. The bitterness definitely stronger than the caramel backing, but in line with the style.

M: Thinner medium body. Sticky, not overly carbonated.

O: Very good example of an American IPA. Flavorful with good bitterness but with enough malt backbone to be substantial but not the focus. Hops are definitely the star here.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

A) two inch head. dark amber/orange. looks well carbonated.

S) piney, citrus notes. I think the smell is the best part of this beer.

T) Pine is the first thing that comes out just like in the smell. tastes delicious ... maybe a little one dimensional. nice bitterness. tastes very hoppy but I do not tastes the amount of IBUs claimed; smelled it on the other hand.

M) nice mouthfull, creamier than expected.

D) could drink a lot of this. Would be most likely a go-to if I lived in the area.

has no business being in the top 100....but by all means a well made beer.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a cloudy yet vibrant copper color with a slightly off white head that leaves thick lacing as the head dissipates.

S: there is a bold aroma of grapefruit, with hints of pine and malt acting as a supporting cast.

T: the beer is of course very hoppy as advertised, but still finds a way to remain well balanced. The Hoppiness clearly plays the dominant role but does not overwhelm the malt. It ends with an ever so slight hint of piney resin.

M: This is a little bit heavier than some of the other IPAs that I have had, but it also has just the right amount of carbonation counter act this.

D: Definitely not a gulper, but something that I could drink all night and often.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a deep dark copper with a substantial head. Immediate aroma is pine and citrus hop forward notes which fade into bready caramel ones. There is an initial aggressive and harsh bitterness, but the bitterness in the finish is much smoother and soft. The hop flavors come across as quite citrusy, lots of orange juice and tangerine lending a very bright taste. There is a subtle sweet caramel backbone that complements the intensity of the hops, but doesn't temper or balance them much. Not nearly as overly aggressive and in-your-face bitter as I remember it being but sill an extremely great example of its style.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

16oz can, kept at fridge temp (~40F) poured into hefeweizen glass. Can is dated 7/29/2014, consumed on 9/23/2014

Appearance:

A moderate-hefty pour produces a one finger head that settles down to a thin layer of foam, somewhat sticky lacing. Color is a very dark and lovely orange with some red.

Smell:

Despite the name, the smell is very sweet, with citrus dominating, with maybe some pine, and something floral in there as well. Sweet malts are definitely there too, poised to surprise.

Taste:

I've been drinking a lot of IPA's lately, so my palate probably isn't picking up as much of the bitterness as someone with more sensitive tastebuds.

Again Surly surprises us, as the malt "backbone" actually ends up playing a pretty big role here. My taste isn't as refined as many people on here, but it kind of reminds me of an oktoberfest/Marzen. Don't worry, that's a good thing.

As for the hops, bitter pine takes the forefront here with sweet citrus backing it up. Sometimes the taste ends with a bitter pine stickiness, other times it ends with more of the malty flavor I talked about earlier.

Feel:

Prickly carbonation complements the bitterness of the hops appropriately. Thickness is medium, with a bit of stickiness from the hops. which is expected for an IPA.

Overall:

Despite its name and bizarre packaging, Surly's Furious is a surprisingly balanced and enjoyable IPA that stands up to the hop bombs characterized by the West Coast. I'm proud this comes from my home state, and I feel this exemplifies everything a Minnesota IPA should be: hearty and balanced. Surly hasn't forgotten that the malt is equally as important as the hops.

addendum: Right after publishing my review, I realized that I was speaking too much from the perspective of an IPA guzzling hop-head. I should note that for those who are just starting out in craft beer or IPAs in particular, this beer with around 100 IBUS is still extremely bitter despite its "balance".

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

This is probably around the sixth time I've cracked one of these open over the course of a couple months. I've held off on reviewing this beer until I've tried it enough times to really form an opinion about it. The first time I tried it, I went batshit crazy over it and decided to trade for more, so I really wanted to temper that first impression and try to be objective.

Well, that failed.

This is one of my favorite beers. The appearance gets top marks (not hard to do, since most beers do look good nowadays). The nose is amazing, the only other beer I've experienced that approaches this kind of tantalizing aroma is fresh Alesmith. There's a huge hop presence in the nose tempered with sweet creamy toffee malt.

The taste delivers what the nose promises, more citrus hops calling in close air support from the malt. Yet this beer still has a dry finish that surprises me every time! Vexing.

The carbonation is dialed in perfectly, and this is one HELL of a drinkable beer. Just outstanding.

If this beer flows like water in MN like I believe it does, you are some lucky bastards up there.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 16oz can . As soon as the can is opened the sweet smell jumps out and grabs you by the neck. The beer pours a nice 2 finger light amber colored head with adequate lacing, which highlights it’s cooper amber body. The smell is dominated with fresh hop aroma of pine, citrus and unmistakable grapefruit with only a slight hint of malt making it’s way through.
The first sip begins with a roasty sweet malt flavor which develops into a nice bitter pine/citrus bite. As the beer gets washed past the palate sweeter grapefruit and earthy hop flavors prevail with the same delicious roasted amber malt flavor following all the way through.
The flavors linger and linger. Two minutes later I can still taste this beer in it’s full. Why can’t they make toothpaste that tastes as good as this stuff?
Overall there is nothing for me not to like in this beer and very little else to desire. Will definitely seek this one out again.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

The color is a clear, deep amber color. The head is fast rising, lasting, and leaves nice lacing.

The nose imparts citric and earthy hop aromas along with sweet malts notes. Caramel and lightly toasted malts are detected.

Flavors are mostly hoppy and bitter. At first, you can get a sense of sweet malts; caramel, toffee, roasted malts. These are quickly taken over by the presence of hops. The hops dominate, but they aren't harsh. Citric, piney, earthy; these hoppy, bitter flavors are balanced by the sweet malts.

The body is dry, and crisp; nicely carbonated. It is a nice, drinkable beer that would pair great with a spicy, Thai entree.

2.29/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Trendy hipster palette killer for the immature.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Marie for introducing me to craft beer in a can.

Pours a dark amber.

Has a bit of toasty malt on the nose to go along with citrusy hops.

Taste is a nice balance of grainy malt and bitter hops. The malt is really nice. The can says Scottish malt, to me it tastes like a mild rye malt. The hops are piney and the finish is dry and bitter. Yum.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is high. Thankfully this beer is "only" 6.2%

Furious is one of the best IPAs out there. I really like that it is in a can- you can take it anywhere and its stays fresh a lot longer than bottles.

I just wish we could buy it here in MI.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from can into chilled mug.

Almost zero head atop a clear, dark amber liquid.

Limited aroma, with citrus predominating.

Very citrusy taste, particularly grapefruit, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Kind of 'thin' tasting, not very complex. Not highly hopped.

Probably a good 'intro' IPA for drinkers who don't think they like IPAs. Surprisingly good for canned beer.

Thanks, Hez1, for sending it!

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - A dark orange almost amber color, the head at pour is thick and then thins out to above a collar. Lots of lacing left with the glass. A bit murky.

Smell - It smells of hops a bit frosty, malt, slight corn, floral and grapefruit.

Taste - A little bit bitter with a strong grapefruit after taste. After a while a tinny taste lingers on your tongue as it washes out probably from the can.

Mouthfeel - The hop bite is solid but it feels a bit carbonated.

Drinkablitity - Average, it might set some off overall but I'd have to knock its score down as an American IPA because of the tin. I also don't particularly like grapefruit.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

16 oz Can poured into Glass

A - Careful but speedy pour produced 2-3 fingers of head. Head dissipated within a few minutes. The color is a dark orange-amber.

S - Most notably i smell citrus and hops. Very sweet and fantastic smelling IPA.

T - I taste a fair amount of citrus for an IPA which I like. I definitely taste some grapefruit. The bitterness of the grapefruit and hops work perfectly together. Some slight caramel notes in the background.

M - Medium carbonation. Not too much or too little, just the right amount. The delicious citrus hops combination lingers in your mouth for a while.

D - I could drink this beer all day and not be sick of it.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hop rich flavor and aroma, sharp crisp hop taste with a hint of grapefruit bitterness, followed by a mellower malt and hop finish. Very nice layering of flavors. Similar experience to Arrogant Bastard. Beautiful deep clear amber/dark brown color, tasted great with chargrilled steak.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Furious 16oz can from the Liquor Barrel in Golden Valley.

I have to admit a little trepidation about trying a canned beer. I've had Furious on tap a number of times and wasn't sure how it would carry over. My reservations were completely unfounded. This stuff is awesome out of the can.

It pours well into a pint glass: a nice dark orange with red highlights capped with a two inch head. The smell is wonderfully hoppy with notes of citrus and pine.

Now for the taste - almost (almost) as good out of the can as it is on tap. I notice just a bit more pinch of bitterness on tap. But the hops are ever-present here as well. Not quite the artwork that is Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but it's close. And it's brewed locally! The mouthfeel wasn't exceptional, but it wasn't bad either, I may have been drinking it too fast.

If you can find this, I would definitely recommend picking up a four pack. I know I'll buy more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On cask(I'm pretty certain) at Winterfest 2/8/08 in St. Paul. A 3 oz. pour.

Appearance was a rosy orange, with a nice short head. It didn't last long, but that may have something to do with the fact I was at a beer festival and I had many other beers to try. ;)

Smell was hoppy, with a citrus scent. Taste was much smoother than the regular furious, with a pleasing fruity flavor. Felt pretty good in the mouth. Drinkability was awesome- very smooth, but I did only get around 3 ounces at a time. I like the regular Surly Furious, but I preferred the tea-bagged version over it big time.

Edit: 12-23-08 Had a full glass or two at Darkness day. Review stands.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

I write this in the dark, on Notepad, during the first time li'l Charleston, SC has gotten snow in god-knows-when, which of course cripples our infrastructure in no time. No cable. No power. Dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria! Stopping me from reviewing this beer? He11 no.

BIG ups to translucent for breaking my trading cherry with this one! 16oz can, poured into a Goliath Tulip.

A: I'm using a damn flashlight, so I can't give this an impartial rating. Looks darker than I thought. But my house is darker than I thought. Nice head, instant lacing. So...4.0

S: That's the good stuff. Oh yes. Big chunky American hops all over the nose, corresponding with some real sweetness (from the Scottish malt I guess?). This aroma says two things to me -- bold, and balanced.

T: I'm having trouble likening this to another IPA I've had. Very, very unique character here. Good bitter/sweet balance throughout, but the hop flavors are hard to place. Not your run-of-the-mill pine & grapefruit. I'm getting some orange, maybe even some nuttiness in the back? Interesting.

M: Fell a little short in this department, not enough body in this one for me. Would like to get more "chew" out of it. Coats the tongue well enough, just a little thin. I forgive them.

D: Um, yea. Could drink too many of these very easily.

Now it's time to return to pleasuring myself to some cave paintings I made earlier until the power comes back on.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from 16 oz can into standard shaker pint glass.

Pours crystal clear copper color with a thick 1-1 1/2 finger off white head that dissipated after a couple minutes leaving behind lots of lacing.

Smells like grapefruit and pine needles. Very faint malt coming through with noticeable bready yeast. The hop character is what dominates...very apparent and very pleasant.

Initial hit of citrus gives way to some dark caramel malt sweetness that's complimented by a bit of yeast. Big pine resin and slight citrus peel bitterness dominate the finish; it wraps around your tongue and lingers. I'm loving this!

Medium bodied, mouth coating, good carbonation. Plenty of substance that lays down nicely and provides a good stage for all those hops.

Overall this was one of the most enjoyable IPAs I've had. West Coast style from Minnesota. I will be getting in touch with the BA who sent me this in a trade and begging for more very soon!

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Furious poured into a new belgium globe glass.
A: Red, orange, mahogany.
S: Citrus, hoppy, a little bit skunky
T: Nice punch of hops, tad bit smoky with the swallow.
M: Immediately, with the first sip, all tastebuds are alive and feelin' good. Very enjoyable aftertaste - stays with you but not for an overwhelmingly long period of time.
D: Superb beer. Like most IPAs - probably can't drink it all night but it is a fab beer. I would drive to the Cities just for this! Love that it's served in a can. Unique and fun!

Good flavor without heavy alcohol.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark reddish color, head retention is good

S: Hops slap you in the face, nice fruity smell and not completely overpowering

T: Hops, hops, hops. Citrus, grapefruit, tastes like a Summit EPA on steroids. Palate is cleansed after this one.

M: Decenty sticky

D: No problem drinking as much of this stuff as you want.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Capra12 for hooking me up with a can of this beer. Was way better thank I expected, especially considering it was in a can!!!

A: pours a nice golden-brown color, good carbonation look, and a small head that didn't last long.

S: primarily hops, with some malt to it, and mild evergreen scent as well. very little alcohol smell to this one.

T: Initial taste is all hops, which was fantastic, followed by some mild citrus and a small amount of pine/oak notes.

M: medium body, with some lingering hoppiness, which I loved! Finishes shortly after teh swallow.

O: a great canned beer, huge surprise as I normally wouldn't drink canned beers. This is one I will most definately look for again! Delicous! You need to try this if you are a hop head!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Obtained this in a BIF from surlytwinsfan.

A - Crimson/amber in color. Good clarity. One finger creamy white head consisting of many tiny bubbles. Leaves a decent lacing on glass.

S - Citrus and pine aromas from the hops. Sweet caramel, coffee and toffee aromas as well.

T - Piney and citrus hops linger on the palate. Hints of grapefruit. I get some toffee flavors as well. I enjoy the aggressive chewiness from the hops. Very well balanced.

M - Medium bodied. Good carbonation with pleasant creaminess throughout.

Overall a very unorthodox IPA. This beer is extremely enjoyable. The pine and citrus hops are fantastic. Surly knows how to make a damn good canned beer. Other than Daisy Cutter this is one of the best canned beer I have ever had.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

appearance: 16oz. non-nitro can. Intense red/black reversible graphics can be read sideways, upside down, right side up, or in fixed gear bicycle crash whilst neck deep in a slow-motion apocalypse. Ultra thick meringue-like head of foam. Even non-Jesus type beings could walk on this liquid crown of glory. Multi-layered belgian lacing assimilating the sides my imperial pint glass molecules. Fasten your seat-belts ladies and gentlemen. This is gonna be one hell of a ride.

smell: Copious amounts of Jamaican grapefruit zest, freshly picked by my sun bronzed Norwegian Pipes O' Thor a la hawaiian tropic oil, standing arms length away from a massive bushel of the devious cousin de la Humulus Lupulus....Snap out of it beachscrat!! You've got a review to write!! (ENTER SOUND OF ME PUNCHING MYSELF IN THE FACE)

taste: Orgasmic mouth watering bittersweet biscuits and marmalade. God damn man, this beer is out of a can? That ain't right.

mouthfeel: Slightly viscous and chewy. Just enough to go bare-knuckle toe-to-toe with the malt and hops.

drinkability: Although I shouldn't, due to the alcohol and all...aw screw it, I'm drinkin' these cans 'til they run outta aluminum.

music: "And Blood Was Passion" from The Deafening Twilight by Zebulon Pike (clocking in at 13 min 12 sec...one of the short songs from this album)

Thank God for Minnesotans and God save the malt and hops.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company