Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,509
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,457 | Hads: 5,123
3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

16oz can into an Odell's tulip.

A- Deep amber in color. Pours a two finger head, dissipates fairly fast and leaves a nice film.

S- A terrific hoppy aroma exudes from the can as soon as I popped it. Grapefruit with some resinous pine notes. Hints of floral herbs as well.

T- A bouqet of tropical fruits (primarily grapefruit and tangerine) leads into some serious tongue biting bitterness that is very piney. Malt backbone is apparent in the finish, with hints of caramel and bread.

M- Oily, slick with some good bitterness. I'd say medium mouthfeel for the style, with medium carbonation. Hop bite kept me coming back for more. Light heat from the alcohol, but very easy drinking.

O- Great AIPA and I love the format (16oz cans). I wish it was distributed around here but I will continue to seek this one out.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Looks and smells beautiful and initial taste is good. Finish is weak and disappointing. Overall it's good, but once I finish the 4 pack of cans its probably not a beer I will buy again.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A tasty IPA. This falls somewhere between an IPA and DIPA in most aspects.

Nice head and darkish color for the style.

Very nice nose with fruity hops (citrus juice and peel) and sweet caramelly/toasty malt. Great intensity. Almost a 5.

On the palate, very balanced, with unexpected malty notes (toffee, toast) notes and delicious citric hops. Personally, I'd like a bit less malt presence to really let the hops flex their muscles, but I'm not going to complain. On second thought, maybe not. This is really good, just not your typical pale IPA.

Even at 99 IBUs, this comes across as less bitter than most IPAs. Favoring balance over bitterness/hoppiness is an interesting style choice for an IPA, but it works here.

Medium body and great drinkability. Since we're already deviating from style expectations here, I would like to see some more carbonation, in the realm of a good bubbly belgian.

Good QPR.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Dark amber, excellent head, but not too much lacing. It looks great.

Smell: Ridiculous. The malt complexity is unparalleled.

Taste: A nice bitterness up front followed by an incredible malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A perfect balance between carbonation and smoothness. The body is just right.

Overall: This is a fantastic IPA. It is a totally different animal than Heady Topper of Pliny, and that is what I love about it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

can from france44.come, purchased for a beer dinner. this is a leftover can.

a. cream colored head, craggy surface, one-finger. leaves some tight lace. clear copper coloring. medium body on the pour.
s. big clean floral hop note, pine and citrus. a touch of malt.
t. sweet on the tongue, then a banging hop flavor. finish is a little sticky with lingering bitter hop.
m. crisp on the front, a bit sticky on the back, but not like an imperial or double IPA. medium bodied, pleasantly carbonated.
o. i wish Surly was in my area; this is a fantastic IPA with the kind of hop expression that i adore.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Got this from a buddy over on my cigar forum. He surprised me with this and 2 cans of coffee bender which I have yet to drink.

A: Pours a darkish amber with a solid 2 fingers of frothy head.

S: Piney hops, malts, honey.

T: Very hop forward which I love. A nice touch of malt and floral notes balance it quite well while letting the hops still stand out.

M: Light and crisp. On par with the style.

D: Very drinkable. I could easily stroke 3 cans in a sitting.

Overall: A very nice offering from Surly. If I could get it locally I would keep it on hand as one of my goto IPA's.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Copper/amber body with a little transparency. Loads of lacing. Tan head which dissapeared quite quickly (although I had just washed the pint and didn't bother letting it dry all the way...got impatient :P )

Smell: Citrus and piney hops with caramel sweetness definitely in there as well.

Taste: tastyyy. really though very good beer. some caramel sweetness from the hops to start off the sip which finishes with the same hopes from the smell. not as hoppy as I expected from sucha high IBU beer though--not saying I'm dissapointed, it tatstes great

Drinkability: Highly drinkable considering the IBU's. If it weren't so rare round my area I'd definitely drink a couple more. It's the first beer i drink from Surly, but it surely won't be the last. Highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Loved this one. Not sure if I liked it more than Abrasive. I would have to drink lots more:] to be sure. I love these canned beers!! This one had fantastic citrus with grapefuit, and some pinyness. Awesome hops! I only with I could get this on the regular with some abrasive. Nice job surly.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from can into Russian River tulip

A - Pours a nice amber brown with tons of carbonation. Great foaming head that lasts almost the entire time of consumption.

S - Smells like cascade hops, nice resinous and piney smell. Very floral with some alcohol sweetness.

T - Great resinous citrus flavor. Big pine and subtle toffee notes. Herbal, spicy, woody.

M - Nice malty sweetness up front with a dry bitter finish.

O - Not as bitter as the 99 IBU led me to believe but, this is an excellent I.P.A. and the first beer that I have had from Surly. Great beer!

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: dark amber color with moderate amount of lacing around the room
S: Very hop forward with strong aromas off pine and citrus
T: Similar to smell with pine and citrus flavors along with sweet saltiness. Tons of hop bitterness which is to be expected with 99 IBUs
M: moderate and crisp
O: Great IPA, wish I could get it regularly

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Amber with 2 fingers of head
S - pine, fruity, grapefruit
T - tastes similar to the smell, very malty to me, bitter
M - very smooth, juicy, bitter
O - a pretty good IPA. not my favorite, maybe it was the maltiness of the beer.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Broke in my new IPA glass with this one. Beautiful deep amber in color. I could smell the citrus (primarily grapefruit) from 2 feet away. The grapefruit carried over into the taste with a nice hoppy & bitter aftertaste. Feel was average with small bubbles and smooth carbonation. Overall, very good and recommended.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This is one Hoppy son of a bitch. Enjoyed my most recent last evening at the Old Chicago in Blaine. Guy across the bar said his was the worst beer he ever tasted. Paul and I in unison responded, "Its not for everybody!" LOL

Dark amber pour. Uneven off white head. Lacing is decent. You know what you are going to get right up front from the aroma. Strong Citrus and I sense some floral hop presence.

Nice hop bite, some Malty taste to balance. Medium heavy mouth feel. I love this beer. Very nice job by our friends at Surly.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Nice half inch tan head foams to the top. Pours a somewhat see-through red-orange tint.

S- Fruity citrus notes and hops. The smell is amazing its like a fresh fruit basket, its everything you think about when you close your eyes and think of an IPA.

T- Hoppy and fruity, with a splash of grapefruit. Tangy on the tip of the tongue. The malt comes through as the glass warms up a bit, mellowing out the whole beer.

M- Medium-low body with somewhat high carbonation. Hoppy finish leaves your mouth quite dry.

D- Crisp and clean with complex flavors, with a hoppy kick. Not too high in alcohol, letting you kick back and drink a few.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another Minnesota staple... The best damn beer in a can. Period.

Everything that I could say about it's appearance ect. has already been said over and over again time and time again. The fact of the matter is this is a world class IPA on so many different levels... So damn drinkable... So damn tasty... So damn beautiful (the lace left behind by this behemoth of a brew is simply legendary...)... A must try if you are within range of this delectable brew...

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Dark copper, clear. 1" head with lacing that is prevalent on the glass as the beer is consumed.

S: Piney, citrus with other floral qualities.

T: Caramel with lots of resinous qualities. Bitterness lingers long. The bitterness definitely stronger than the caramel backing, but in line with the style.

M: Thinner medium body. Sticky, not overly carbonated.

O: Very good example of an American IPA. Flavorful with good bitterness but with enough malt backbone to be substantial but not the focus. Hops are definitely the star here.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

16oz can, kept at fridge temp (~40F) poured into hefeweizen glass. Can is dated 7/29/2014, consumed on 9/23/2014

A moderate-hefty pour produces a one finger head that settles down to a thin layer of foam, somewhat sticky lacing. Color is a very dark and lovely orange with some red.

Despite the name, the smell is very sweet, with citrus dominating, with maybe some pine, and something floral in there as well. Sweet malts are definitely there too, poised to surprise.

I've been drinking a lot of IPA's lately, so my palate probably isn't picking up as much of the bitterness as someone with more sensitive tastebuds.

Again Surly surprises us, as the malt "backbone" actually ends up playing a pretty big role here. My taste isn't as refined as many people on here, but it kind of reminds me of an oktoberfest/Marzen. Don't worry, that's a good thing.

As for the hops, bitter pine takes the forefront here with sweet citrus backing it up. Sometimes the taste ends with a bitter pine stickiness, other times it ends with more of the malty flavor I talked about earlier.

Prickly carbonation complements the bitterness of the hops appropriately. Thickness is medium, with a bit of stickiness from the hops. which is expected for an IPA.

Despite its name and bizarre packaging, Surly's Furious is a surprisingly balanced and enjoyable IPA that stands up to the hop bombs characterized by the West Coast. I'm proud this comes from my home state, and I feel this exemplifies everything a Minnesota IPA should be: hearty and balanced. Surly hasn't forgotten that the malt is equally as important as the hops.

addendum: Right after publishing my review, I realized that I was speaking too much from the perspective of an IPA guzzling hop-head. I should note that for those who are just starting out in craft beer or IPAs in particular, this beer with around 100 IBUS is still extremely bitter despite its "balance".

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

A) two inch head. dark amber/orange. looks well carbonated.

S) piney, citrus notes. I think the smell is the best part of this beer.

T) Pine is the first thing that comes out just like in the smell. tastes delicious ... maybe a little one dimensional. nice bitterness. tastes very hoppy but I do not tastes the amount of IBUs claimed; smelled it on the other hand.

M) nice mouthfull, creamier than expected.

D) could drink a lot of this. Would be most likely a go-to if I lived in the area.

has no business being in the top 100....but by all means a well made beer.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a cloudy yet vibrant copper color with a slightly off white head that leaves thick lacing as the head dissipates.

S: there is a bold aroma of grapefruit, with hints of pine and malt acting as a supporting cast.

T: the beer is of course very hoppy as advertised, but still finds a way to remain well balanced. The Hoppiness clearly plays the dominant role but does not overwhelm the malt. It ends with an ever so slight hint of piney resin.

M: This is a little bit heavier than some of the other IPAs that I have had, but it also has just the right amount of carbonation counter act this.

D: Definitely not a gulper, but something that I could drink all night and often.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a deep dark copper with a substantial head. Immediate aroma is pine and citrus hop forward notes which fade into bready caramel ones. There is an initial aggressive and harsh bitterness, but the bitterness in the finish is much smoother and soft. The hop flavors come across as quite citrusy, lots of orange juice and tangerine lending a very bright taste. There is a subtle sweet caramel backbone that complements the intensity of the hops, but doesn't temper or balance them much. Not nearly as overly aggressive and in-your-face bitter as I remember it being but sill an extremely great example of its style.

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

This is probably around the sixth time I've cracked one of these open over the course of a couple months. I've held off on reviewing this beer until I've tried it enough times to really form an opinion about it. The first time I tried it, I went batshit crazy over it and decided to trade for more, so I really wanted to temper that first impression and try to be objective.

Well, that failed.

This is one of my favorite beers. The appearance gets top marks (not hard to do, since most beers do look good nowadays). The nose is amazing, the only other beer I've experienced that approaches this kind of tantalizing aroma is fresh Alesmith. There's a huge hop presence in the nose tempered with sweet creamy toffee malt.

The taste delivers what the nose promises, more citrus hops calling in close air support from the malt. Yet this beer still has a dry finish that surprises me every time! Vexing.

The carbonation is dialed in perfectly, and this is one HELL of a drinkable beer. Just outstanding.

If this beer flows like water in MN like I believe it does, you are some lucky bastards up there.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 16oz can . As soon as the can is opened the sweet smell jumps out and grabs you by the neck. The beer pours a nice 2 finger light amber colored head with adequate lacing, which highlights it’s cooper amber body. The smell is dominated with fresh hop aroma of pine, citrus and unmistakable grapefruit with only a slight hint of malt making it’s way through.
The first sip begins with a roasty sweet malt flavor which develops into a nice bitter pine/citrus bite. As the beer gets washed past the palate sweeter grapefruit and earthy hop flavors prevail with the same delicious roasted amber malt flavor following all the way through.
The flavors linger and linger. Two minutes later I can still taste this beer in it’s full. Why can’t they make toothpaste that tastes as good as this stuff?
Overall there is nothing for me not to like in this beer and very little else to desire. Will definitely seek this one out again.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

The color is a clear, deep amber color. The head is fast rising, lasting, and leaves nice lacing.

The nose imparts citric and earthy hop aromas along with sweet malts notes. Caramel and lightly toasted malts are detected.

Flavors are mostly hoppy and bitter. At first, you can get a sense of sweet malts; caramel, toffee, roasted malts. These are quickly taken over by the presence of hops. The hops dominate, but they aren't harsh. Citric, piney, earthy; these hoppy, bitter flavors are balanced by the sweet malts.

The body is dry, and crisp; nicely carbonated. It is a nice, drinkable beer that would pair great with a spicy, Thai entree.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Marie for introducing me to craft beer in a can.

Pours a dark amber.

Has a bit of toasty malt on the nose to go along with citrusy hops.

Taste is a nice balance of grainy malt and bitter hops. The malt is really nice. The can says Scottish malt, to me it tastes like a mild rye malt. The hops are piney and the finish is dry and bitter. Yum.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is high. Thankfully this beer is "only" 6.2%

Furious is one of the best IPAs out there. I really like that it is in a can- you can take it anywhere and its stays fresh a lot longer than bottles.

I just wish we could buy it here in MI.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from can into chilled mug.

Almost zero head atop a clear, dark amber liquid.

Limited aroma, with citrus predominating.

Very citrusy taste, particularly grapefruit, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Kind of 'thin' tasting, not very complex. Not highly hopped.

Probably a good 'intro' IPA for drinkers who don't think they like IPAs. Surprisingly good for canned beer.

Thanks, Hez1, for sending it!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company