Join our email list →

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

American IPA | 6.60% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,474 | Hads: 5,230
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can into tulip glass and reviewed on paper 12/28/10. Transcribed into BA 12/29/10.

A: Surly claims crimson on the can, and it's definitely a deep orange, reddish crimson. Poured with a 2 finger thick head beige in color with heavy lacing.

S: What a nose. It's hoppy. It's piney. It's citrusy. It's pineapple-y (?!?)

T: Again...hops, pine, citrus. It's a full flavor profile. And yes, it's even bitter.

M: A nice carbonated bite to it. Not overpowering, but present.

D: Drinking is not a problem when it comes to this beer, although with how drinkable Furious is, drinking can easily become a problem.

Comments: I received a few of these in a trade. Having taken a more recent (few months or so) liking to IPAs, this was a welcome surprise in a trade. I've had more double IPAs than IPAs recently. But, wow - this was good!!! This doesn't old a candle to DIPAs, it holds a flamethrower...

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours out nice light maroon in color with a healthy two finger, white head with good retention and some really nice lacing.

Smell is pretty tropical. Definitely some nice orange, mango, pineapple, with a slight bitterness. Nice sweet malt backbone that really seems well balanced.

Taste is slightly less tropical than the nose and a little more nice piny goodness but there is a good balance between the two. The piny bitterness seems to linger in the throat. The sweet malt backbone really evens things out as there is a really nice balance between everything mentioned. Nothing really sticks out or is overwhelming so all of the flavors are there in a nice amount.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick for the style and is very nice.

Overall I really like this beer and am glad I have easy access to it year round. Really nothing to complain about here. Just a great example of the style.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Received in trade from feloniusmonk. This one has been lurking in the fridge for over a week. It's funny how I have been conditioned to keep canned beer cold....sat at room temperature for about 90 minutes. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Luscious murky dark red. Very nice moderate head. Good carbonation. Superb lacing.

S - Outstanding. This beer is very reminiscent of a couple of DIPA's I've imbibed in of late. HopSlam and Hop Whore come to mind immediately. Piney hops, unripe grapefruit, lemon zest, spruce....

T - Assault team hops. Again, very strong grapefruit. Drinks so much like a DIPA, I had to check the ABV again. Wonderful bitter aftertaste, deliscious hoppy burps.

M - Surprisingly full bodied and creamy (low ABV at work?). Very broad across the palate, very nice going down.

D - This may be the best part for me. I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but this beer drinks like a DIPA. A damn fine, rough & tumble DIPA...the fact that the ABV is fairly low is a wonderful bonus. This is a beer I could drink all day. Say, a Sunday full of football. Or a poker night. If I could get my hands on a case....paging Minneapolis BA's, come in please!!!

Thanks Al, for turning me on to yet another great beer.

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Dark amber with a nice white head.

S - Can you say hops! Citrus and pine flow through the nose.

T - Pine and grapefruit rush. Nice malt finish. Covers the spectrum quite well.

M - Such an excellent medium body. Feels like you should be chewing.

O - A fantastic IPA. Easy to take for granted how easily we can get something this good on tap. Not to rub it in.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into my My Marshall's Wharf pint glass. The 2nd beer from my trade with mothman (A man that knows his beer!)

A: Deep burnt orange, pours a 1/2 inch head with great retention and leaves some lovely lace behind.
S: The aroma gets your attention as you are pouring the can, incredible & intoxicating floral hops. Sweet and fruity. Apricot, pine and grapefruit. I had to take a 2nd look at the can, I had no idea what I was in store for here.
T: Piney, bitter hops with a sweet smooth malt backbone to make a buttery finish. A great beer that you will want to savor every taste of.
M: Smooth, lightly carbonated with a nice dry finish.
D: Holy smokes, this would be my go to beer if at all possible. Deceptively drinkable.

Putting this on my want list straight away...

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

In sampler glass at the 1st annual Firkin Fest at the Happy Gnome.

It pours a beautiful deep amber with a fleeting though thick and cream-colored head. Absolutely gorgeous beer.

Subtle hoppy smell, citrus fruits, some pine, quite floral and very delicate and complex.

Exceptional taste. The tea and the ipa flavors blend perfectly. The tea is ever-present but not dominant and not too subtle. White tea perhaps? The hoppiness is refreshing and more subdued than in regular furious. The alcohol is not even noticeable.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Incredibly smooth, medium-bodied beer that goes down easily and joyfully. a slight clinginess with the hops providing a subtle compliment to the smoothness and body.

One of the most drinkable IPAs I have ever had, or any beer for that matter. So smooth, so delectable, I could drink this all day long and any day. Just a supremely-crafted beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to gratefulstu for the great trade! Two new traders proving that awesome trades can happen no matter who it is with!

Beer for a glass, from a can... it couldn't be put any better. A slow pour into the pint glass led to a head that gradually got fuller as the glass filled. A great dark mahogany brown pour with an almost beehive structured head that tries to fall but holds onto the glass with every ounce of energy it has... and bygonit this beer has a lot of energy. Lacing? You bet your damned ass... F'n spiderman lacing

I poured the beer a good 15 inches away from me and the aroma took over the area. I smelt the piney hops before I even pull it towards my nose. After closer inspection, there is a ton of great tart/citrus-focused fruit aromas in this beer... grapefruit, tangerine, flowers... it smells great. People often use the word perfume to describe the aroma of (D)IPA's... and I honestly never have had that word pop into my head while engaging in a beer... but it works here.

Wow. The taste is a thing of beauty. This is just phenomenally executed... a bit aggressive on the hops, but in the way that any hop head would wish for... wonderfully ripe and fresh. Hoppy citrus and pine on the front, sweet caramel on the finish.... Man, it has a nice bite to it that is still strongly felt after it escapes the grasp of your mouth and flows down the throat.

Nice full and silky mouthfeel. It goes down really smooth and has a excellent finish... pretty dry, really crisp.

I also received darkness and bender in the trade... can't wait to try them and so happy that this beer met the high expectations I had before I flipped the tab!

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a hazy, mild brown with a soft white head. A great caramelly hop aroma is followed by a slightly bitter, creamy taste when it hits your lips. It finishes with both sweet and sour notes and leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. It's definitely among the best canned beers I've ever had.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

The pour was a beautiful caramelized brown with hints of a dirty orange around the edges. A nice 1 1/2" soapy off white head that faded to a moderate cap after a good long while. Nice retention.

The smell is amazing. Not sure if I poured a beer, or the sweetest can of ruby grapefruit juice I have ever smelled. A little hop bitterness and toffee scented malts at the very end. Nice!

The taste is crispy hops right out of the gate with a big citrus/orange peel flavor and a bit of a sweet malty backbone. Finishes very bitter with lingering hop notes for ever and ever. Most of the flavors seem to explode right as you swallow instead of before.

Mouthfeel is good here as well. Nice and slick with hop oils and a good amount of carbonation that tickles your taste buds as soon as you swallow. Goes right in line with the flavor explosion.

Overall I really liked this brew. Not an easy thing for me to find in Western Pa, but something that if I see it on the shelves somewhere, I will NOT pass it by. A bar setting brew for an American style IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -21.6%

My first Surly!

A - Pours a clear dark amber color with some great head retention and viscous lacing.

S - Very fragrant pine, citrus & floral notes.

T - Yummy! Starts piney and hoppy with a malty middle and ends with the bitter hop. I kinda wish it were a bit more balanced... as the drink progresses the malt and fruit subtleties fade and I end up with mostly hop.

M - Medium body and creamy.

D - Not extremely drinkable for me... the ending hoppiness isn't complex enough and ends a bit too bitter. I would definitely drink again tho.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer from a can meant for a glass!

Thanks to DeschutesNut for throwing this in as a trade extra.

Poured from the can into my tulip glass!
Looks as beautiful as any West coast ipa I've ever seen. A nice orange/amber color. Some nice foamy white head with good retention.... later it gives a fantastic spider lacing that should prove annoying to clean up.

Smell instantly reminds me of Pliny the Elder. Huge Pine notes followed by some less pronounced citrus and a little bit of grassy character. Smells like a good West coast style, although not quite as aromatic as some of the better IPAs I've had. It's definitely pleasing.

Tastes like it smells. Hits you hard, you can really tell this thing is high on the IBUs, but it's not bittering in a negative way. The big pine character dominates the palate, and it tastes delicious. Some citrus, mainly grapefruit flavor comes in midway to sweeten things up, and then it ends with a little bit of malt and a grassy note.

Mouthfeel/drinkability seems good, but most probably wouldn't want to have more than 1 or 2 due to the palate wrecking flavor.

One of my favorite IPAs and I feel that it competes with the big dogs.

I wish I could get my hands on some Surly out west!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Hand delivered from MN

Pours out a deep brownish red color. Nice thick head forms. Tons of hop aroma. Nice pine and citrus. Taste is all hops. I have tasted some hoppy beers, but this one might take the cake. For all the hops it is not too bitter, which is amazing. The finish was plenty bitter but not on the upfront palate. This is a really great beer with a ton of wonderful flavor. It isn't a highly drinkable beer, but that is what they are going for.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

16oz can - July 2011

A: Amber in color and clearly filtered. Carbonated to create a fluffy white head.

S: Simcoe hops smell comes through first, followed by some citrus aromas. Very nice!

T: Hoppy, bitter, pine, and citrus notes. Well balanced and good blend of hops and malt.

M: Very smooth, carbonation level is just right. Medium bodied.

O: After reading all the positive reviews for this beer, I have to say I was a little disappointed. Perhaps, my expectations were too high for the currently 3rd rated IPA. Overall, I thought Furious was a good beer and one that I would enjoy having again. Too bad Surly doesn't distribute to the DC Metro area.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Notes from 3/9/10, although I drink at least a 4-pack of this weekly. poured from can into tall European lager glass.

A-clear, almost reddish brown, very unique rich hue, 1-finger frothy head, half of it stayed around, incredible lacing all the way to the bottom

S-powerful citrus, pine, and noble hops, with honey, can smell this from an arms-length away

T-bursting with fresh hops, intense bitterness, lingering hop flavor, lots of grapefruit, balanced alcohol impact

M-medium bodied, fairly high carbonation, almost chewy

D-could drink all night, one of my Top 10 beers in the world

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It's really hard to reconcile the intense deliciousness of the beer with the punishment in the accumulating bitterness on the tongue. The deliciousness always wins, and you take another swig.

It's a good beer to acclimatise oneself to superhopped American beer. I wish I could get this in Halifax.

I first tried this while staying with my Mom in St. Paul, MN. I didn't realise how lucky I was to be able to get this. I'm no constantly bombarded with requests I get this sent up.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

From a can, served at 46 degrees in a room temperature glass.

There's ton of hype for Surly, solid beers, but you can only drink one or two, the ultimate session beer I spose.

A - Beautiful, rusty orange, lacy cream head
S - HOPS, super light citrus nose
T - HOPS, it's super hoppy, furious indeed, I can barely taste any malts, maybe a little grainy
M - Really pleasant, kind of crunchy almost
D - Session beer, serve slightly chilled, not quite basement temp

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

16oz can into an Odell's tulip.

A- Deep amber in color. Pours a two finger head, dissipates fairly fast and leaves a nice film.

S- A terrific hoppy aroma exudes from the can as soon as I popped it. Grapefruit with some resinous pine notes. Hints of floral herbs as well.

T- A bouqet of tropical fruits (primarily grapefruit and tangerine) leads into some serious tongue biting bitterness that is very piney. Malt backbone is apparent in the finish, with hints of caramel and bread.

M- Oily, slick with some good bitterness. I'd say medium mouthfeel for the style, with medium carbonation. Hop bite kept me coming back for more. Light heat from the alcohol, but very easy drinking.

O- Great AIPA and I love the format (16oz cans). I wish it was distributed around here but I will continue to seek this one out.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Looks and smells beautiful and initial taste is good. Finish is weak and disappointing. Overall it's good, but once I finish the 4 pack of cans its probably not a beer I will buy again.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A tasty IPA. This falls somewhere between an IPA and DIPA in most aspects.

Nice head and darkish color for the style.

Very nice nose with fruity hops (citrus juice and peel) and sweet caramelly/toasty malt. Great intensity. Almost a 5.

On the palate, very balanced, with unexpected malty notes (toffee, toast) notes and delicious citric hops. Personally, I'd like a bit less malt presence to really let the hops flex their muscles, but I'm not going to complain. On second thought, maybe not. This is really good, just not your typical pale IPA.

Even at 99 IBUs, this comes across as less bitter than most IPAs. Favoring balance over bitterness/hoppiness is an interesting style choice for an IPA, but it works here.

Medium body and great drinkability. Since we're already deviating from style expectations here, I would like to see some more carbonation, in the realm of a good bubbly belgian.

Good QPR.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Dark amber, excellent head, but not too much lacing. It looks great.

Smell: Ridiculous. The malt complexity is unparalleled.

Taste: A nice bitterness up front followed by an incredible malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A perfect balance between carbonation and smoothness. The body is just right.

Overall: This is a fantastic IPA. It is a totally different animal than Heady Topper of Pliny, and that is what I love about it.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aroma - orange, pine, resin, caramel malt, toast, mild anise. Fairly strong aroma.

Taste - orange, grapefruit, pine, clean bready base malt with a light caramel finish. Finishes dryer than the color suggests.

Overall - one of the best hoppy red ales.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

can from france44.come, purchased for a beer dinner. this is a leftover can.

a. cream colored head, craggy surface, one-finger. leaves some tight lace. clear copper coloring. medium body on the pour.
s. big clean floral hop note, pine and citrus. a touch of malt.
t. sweet on the tongue, then a banging hop flavor. finish is a little sticky with lingering bitter hop.
m. crisp on the front, a bit sticky on the back, but not like an imperial or double IPA. medium bodied, pleasantly carbonated.
o. i wish Surly was in my area; this is a fantastic IPA with the kind of hop expression that i adore.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this from a buddy over on my cigar forum. He surprised me with this and 2 cans of coffee bender which I have yet to drink.

A: Pours a darkish amber with a solid 2 fingers of frothy head.

S: Piney hops, malts, honey.

T: Very hop forward which I love. A nice touch of malt and floral notes balance it quite well while letting the hops still stand out.

M: Light and crisp. On par with the style.

D: Very drinkable. I could easily stroke 3 cans in a sitting.

Overall: A very nice offering from Surly. If I could get it locally I would keep it on hand as one of my goto IPA's.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Copper/amber body with a little transparency. Loads of lacing. Tan head which dissapeared quite quickly (although I had just washed the pint and didn't bother letting it dry all the way...got impatient :P )

Smell: Citrus and piney hops with caramel sweetness definitely in there as well.

Taste: tastyyy. really though very good beer. some caramel sweetness from the hops to start off the sip which finishes with the same hopes from the smell. not as hoppy as I expected from sucha high IBU beer though--not saying I'm dissapointed, it tatstes great

Drinkability: Highly drinkable considering the IBU's. If it weren't so rare round my area I'd definitely drink a couple more. It's the first beer i drink from Surly, but it surely won't be the last. Highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Loved this one. Not sure if I liked it more than Abrasive. I would have to drink lots more:] to be sure. I love these canned beers!! This one had fantastic citrus with grapefuit, and some pinyness. Awesome hops! I only with I could get this on the regular with some abrasive. Nice job surly.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company