Microbrew Invitational

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,487 | Ratings: 5,320
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on "guest tap" at Lunar outside of Chicago.

A- Amazing looking orange color with incredible head and retention. On tap really helps.

S- Perfect sweet grapefruit, fresh citrus.

T- Light delicious hops. Some IPA's are really head bashing, but these are nicely balanced with the rest.

M- light and refreshing carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. Could have stayed for a couple of these beers.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

This 16 oz can of Surly Furious poured a slightly hazy (though not bad for 99ibu’s and a ton of flavor & aroma hops) copper to red and had a fluffy off white head which dissipated slowly leaving traces of lacing on the glass.

The hoppy aromas of citrus and pine were evident from a foot away! Upon closer examination an intense aroma of grapefruit and freshly cut Christmas tree assaulted by nose.

As with the aroma, the flavor of Furious is dominated by the hops piney and citrusy. A bracing, though not harsh, degree of long lingering bitterness is also evident. Hidden deep beneath the hop flavors and bitterness is the slightest hint of sweet caramel malt.

A relatively smooth medium body, with a light degree of carbonation and major hang.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at MSP Airport. Amber looking color for an American IPA. Seemed odd. Had to actually look it up on iPad as I didn't trust the man telling me the flight order as he looked confused. Damn nubes.

Beer is OK. Nothing special. May have been an old keg but not an excuse. Its a good beer but I don't think its top 120 beers at all on BA.

Coming from the west coast, might I add. Where's the hops at???
A-

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Furious
Surly Brewing Company, Minnesota
---from can to pint glass---

Appearance
Medium amber looks like there is some sediment floating at the bottom, very thick beige head, OK lacing.

Smell
Super citrusy, super piney, floral notes.

Taste
Bitter pine with insinuations of sweet malt.

Mouth-feel
Perfect balance of hops to malt. Good carbonation. Lingering flavor begs for another sip.

Overall
I’m really digging this beer. Great taste with good balance, not too hoppy (if such thing exists). Definitely one my Go-To list now. Smells perfect!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I would have to say that this is probably the best beer I have had from Surly (haven't tried the Darkness yet though.) Easy enough to drink, I finished the whole growler myself in a few hours. Nice and hoppy, just the way I like them. Rich reddish tan color with a light and medium fast head and a hop scent to hang with the best of them. I have visited this brew time and time again since it hit the market in my city. Only available on tap here but that's fine with me as I can fill a growler again and again. Not bad Surly, not bad.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into my trusty Samuel Smiths' Imperial Pint Glass

A - Pours a burnt, rusty orange, with a creamy, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a decent amount of lacing. Almost deep enough color to be considered a red IPA.

S - Gobs of pine-gum, Lemon-mint, and lemon verbena. The malt shows up later in the game, on the nose, but backs up this hop bomb, nicely. Simcoe hops, how I love thee... Let me count the ways. 50 IBU's, 60 IBU's...

T - The Taste follows the nose here, with more pine, Lemon rind, mango, and light grassy tones. The malt, once again, lifts up the flavor, providing backbone and hints of rye bread, caramel, and warming alcohol. A VERY well-balanced beer, all told. YUM.

M - Full, and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, driven by the hops, but followed closely by the malts. The ABV helps keep this one warm, without overwhelming the flavor, and adding unneeded heat to the beer.

O - Another beer that makes me glad to have friends that travel out of state... I can't wait for the day that Surly makes it's way to Texas Distributors!!! If you can get your hands on this beer, DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! GET TO THE (C)HOPPER!!! All that said, it's damned tasty, and you should drink it.

Cheers!!!

<Matt The Beer-Guy>

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Had on tap at Grumpy Bulldog in Naperville. I am told this is a rare treasure to have on tap. Additionally, I understand the last barrel lasted only 2 days in such a small bar. When drawn it looked like a nice cool iced tea with a thick beer head on top. It has quite a bit of pin hops smell. There are some smaller citrus undertones. However, what makes this beer great is the hops. The taste is big and bold. Wow...a guy can really get into trouble with this beer. It drinks remarkably smooth and has a wonderful. This beer barries the typical Dogfish head 60 minute that is often on tap at several craft brew pubs/taverns.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Traded to get a 4 pack and glad I did. This is my last one so time to sip slow and review.

A: a nice deep orange hue with some redish/amber. Standard white 1/16th of a ring around the top. Very white head.

S: grapefruit citrus mixed with pine. Some toffee and caramel malt. Smells delicious.

T: pine and grapefruit citrus mixed with some balancing toffee malt and a lingering bitter citrus finish. Balanced and delicious.

M: pretty wet beer. Moistens the mouth and a crazy mix of wet and dry finish. Hard to describe but really tasty. Smooth. Pretty carbonated.

O: really quality beer. Great balance of hops and malts. Could have a few without it destroying the palate or getting old. Definitely a hop bomb but the malt keeps them check.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

From notes:

Appearance - Apricot colored with a topping of foamy head, this slightly hazy beer is presented to me in a regular pint glass. The color and general appearance is pretty magnificent, becoming fiery gold when held to a light.

Aroma - Wow, an American IPA with malt in the aroma. Shocking. I approve much of the apparent balance in the beer. i can smell some toasty and caramel malts for sure, and then tropical fruit on top as the hops take over the nose.

Taste - Delicious. Really great, a pretty unique beer in and of itself. The malts provide a solid foundation with a powerful pale malt flavor complemented by toasty, biscuity goodness and finished off by a sweetish caramel toffee cap, like a helping of buckwheat honey. The hops are there with vim and vigor: here there be mango and pineapple, with a less distinct helping of general citric hop presence and occasional flavors of piney resinous cannabis and floral hints of lavender. There's a bracing bitterness under all this flavor but it isn't out of the ordinary by any means. This defines a balanced IPA to me.

Mouthfeel - Full to be sure. The caramelly flavors really go well with the somewhat heavy body. The carbonation is lively and supports the huge head formed of al the wonderful hop oils.

Drinkability - High. The alcohol is pretty low for an American IPA and the flavors are large. Had a second glass and there appears to be no reason a third wouldn't have been just as good had we not finished our meal and left for home by then. I don't know if this is as good in cans but it sure shines on tap.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This is an amazing beer - I've had it on draft and in a growler, but am reviewing a canned one. The appearance is just amazing, especially when poured into a glass that can hold all 16 ounces and a head. The head is dense, and it subsides slowly, leaving plenty of lace down the sides. I get a good whiff of hoppiness here, which considering I rarely smell anything is a plus. The taste is explosive, with an initial assualt of citrussy hops, followed by a solid base of malts to balance it out, with a strong hoppy after taste that lingers for quite some time. The beer has a great, rich mouthfeel, as if it were almost too big for itself. There is nothing watery here, yet it remains sprightly and non syrup-like. Again, this beer's nearly perfect balance shines through. It is quite drinkable, but going beyond a couple cans can be a lot of alcohol. If I could sip, it would be a great session brew, but as I guzzle, I need to limit myself. This is an outstanding IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a pint glass from the 16 oz can.

A - a nice deep copper color with a thin head.

S - beautiful piney hop aroma.

T - a bit more bitter than judged by smell. A nice hoppy taste with a little sourness in the finish.

M - on the thin side but average for the style.

O - a nice drinkable beer from a can! Good job.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%

Overall this was a pretty good beer, but a one trick pony. Hops hops and more hops, that seems to be the surly motto, and on that front they got there. Very nice hop nose and flavor, all american hops for sure. The taste hits you bit with hops, but finishes just a touch too bitter for my taste. Balanced is always the key to IPA's and while this is far from undrinkably bitter, it need a little more malt backbone to reach a higher level. Good, but not great. I'll likely try some more surly to see how it matches up.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can into tulip glass and reviewed on paper 12/28/10. Transcribed into BA 12/29/10.

A: Surly claims crimson on the can, and it's definitely a deep orange, reddish crimson. Poured with a 2 finger thick head beige in color with heavy lacing.

S: What a nose. It's hoppy. It's piney. It's citrusy. It's pineapple-y (?!?)

T: Again...hops, pine, citrus. It's a full flavor profile. And yes, it's even bitter.

M: A nice carbonated bite to it. Not overpowering, but present.

D: Drinking is not a problem when it comes to this beer, although with how drinkable Furious is, drinking can easily become a problem.

Comments: I received a few of these in a trade. Having taken a more recent (few months or so) liking to IPAs, this was a welcome surprise in a trade. I've had more double IPAs than IPAs recently. But, wow - this was good!!! This doesn't old a candle to DIPAs, it holds a flamethrower...

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours out nice light maroon in color with a healthy two finger, white head with good retention and some really nice lacing.

Smell is pretty tropical. Definitely some nice orange, mango, pineapple, with a slight bitterness. Nice sweet malt backbone that really seems well balanced.

Taste is slightly less tropical than the nose and a little more nice piny goodness but there is a good balance between the two. The piny bitterness seems to linger in the throat. The sweet malt backbone really evens things out as there is a really nice balance between everything mentioned. Nothing really sticks out or is overwhelming so all of the flavors are there in a nice amount.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick for the style and is very nice.

Overall I really like this beer and am glad I have easy access to it year round. Really nothing to complain about here. Just a great example of the style.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aroma - orange, pine, resin, caramel malt, toast, mild anise. Fairly strong aroma.

Taste - orange, grapefruit, pine, clean bready base malt with a light caramel finish. Finishes dryer than the color suggests.

Overall - one of the best hoppy red ales.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Received in trade from feloniusmonk. This one has been lurking in the fridge for over a week. It's funny how I have been conditioned to keep canned beer cold....sat at room temperature for about 90 minutes. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Luscious murky dark red. Very nice moderate head. Good carbonation. Superb lacing.

S - Outstanding. This beer is very reminiscent of a couple of DIPA's I've imbibed in of late. HopSlam and Hop Whore come to mind immediately. Piney hops, unripe grapefruit, lemon zest, spruce....

T - Assault team hops. Again, very strong grapefruit. Drinks so much like a DIPA, I had to check the ABV again. Wonderful bitter aftertaste, deliscious hoppy burps.

M - Surprisingly full bodied and creamy (low ABV at work?). Very broad across the palate, very nice going down.

D - This may be the best part for me. I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but this beer drinks like a DIPA. A damn fine, rough & tumble DIPA...the fact that the ABV is fairly low is a wonderful bonus. This is a beer I could drink all day. Say, a Sunday full of football. Or a poker night. If I could get my hands on a case....paging Minneapolis BA's, come in please!!!

Thanks Al, for turning me on to yet another great beer.

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Dark amber with a nice white head.

S - Can you say hops! Citrus and pine flow through the nose.

T - Pine and grapefruit rush. Nice malt finish. Covers the spectrum quite well.

M - Such an excellent medium body. Feels like you should be chewing.

O - A fantastic IPA. Easy to take for granted how easily we can get something this good on tap. Not to rub it in.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into my My Marshall's Wharf pint glass. The 2nd beer from my trade with mothman (A man that knows his beer!)

A: Deep burnt orange, pours a 1/2 inch head with great retention and leaves some lovely lace behind.
S: The aroma gets your attention as you are pouring the can, incredible & intoxicating floral hops. Sweet and fruity. Apricot, pine and grapefruit. I had to take a 2nd look at the can, I had no idea what I was in store for here.
T: Piney, bitter hops with a sweet smooth malt backbone to make a buttery finish. A great beer that you will want to savor every taste of.
M: Smooth, lightly carbonated with a nice dry finish.
D: Holy smokes, this would be my go to beer if at all possible. Deceptively drinkable.

Putting this on my want list straight away...

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

In sampler glass at the 1st annual Firkin Fest at the Happy Gnome.

It pours a beautiful deep amber with a fleeting though thick and cream-colored head. Absolutely gorgeous beer.

Subtle hoppy smell, citrus fruits, some pine, quite floral and very delicate and complex.

Exceptional taste. The tea and the ipa flavors blend perfectly. The tea is ever-present but not dominant and not too subtle. White tea perhaps? The hoppiness is refreshing and more subdued than in regular furious. The alcohol is not even noticeable.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Incredibly smooth, medium-bodied beer that goes down easily and joyfully. a slight clinginess with the hops providing a subtle compliment to the smoothness and body.

One of the most drinkable IPAs I have ever had, or any beer for that matter. So smooth, so delectable, I could drink this all day long and any day. Just a supremely-crafted beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to gratefulstu for the great trade! Two new traders proving that awesome trades can happen no matter who it is with!

Beer for a glass, from a can... it couldn't be put any better. A slow pour into the pint glass led to a head that gradually got fuller as the glass filled. A great dark mahogany brown pour with an almost beehive structured head that tries to fall but holds onto the glass with every ounce of energy it has... and bygonit this beer has a lot of energy. Lacing? You bet your damned ass... F'n spiderman lacing

I poured the beer a good 15 inches away from me and the aroma took over the area. I smelt the piney hops before I even pull it towards my nose. After closer inspection, there is a ton of great tart/citrus-focused fruit aromas in this beer... grapefruit, tangerine, flowers... it smells great. People often use the word perfume to describe the aroma of (D)IPA's... and I honestly never have had that word pop into my head while engaging in a beer... but it works here.

Wow. The taste is a thing of beauty. This is just phenomenally executed... a bit aggressive on the hops, but in the way that any hop head would wish for... wonderfully ripe and fresh. Hoppy citrus and pine on the front, sweet caramel on the finish.... Man, it has a nice bite to it that is still strongly felt after it escapes the grasp of your mouth and flows down the throat.

Nice full and silky mouthfeel. It goes down really smooth and has a excellent finish... pretty dry, really crisp.

I also received darkness and bender in the trade... can't wait to try them and so happy that this beer met the high expectations I had before I flipped the tab!

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a hazy, mild brown with a soft white head. A great caramelly hop aroma is followed by a slightly bitter, creamy taste when it hits your lips. It finishes with both sweet and sour notes and leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. It's definitely among the best canned beers I've ever had.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

The pour was a beautiful caramelized brown with hints of a dirty orange around the edges. A nice 1 1/2" soapy off white head that faded to a moderate cap after a good long while. Nice retention.

The smell is amazing. Not sure if I poured a beer, or the sweetest can of ruby grapefruit juice I have ever smelled. A little hop bitterness and toffee scented malts at the very end. Nice!

The taste is crispy hops right out of the gate with a big citrus/orange peel flavor and a bit of a sweet malty backbone. Finishes very bitter with lingering hop notes for ever and ever. Most of the flavors seem to explode right as you swallow instead of before.

Mouthfeel is good here as well. Nice and slick with hop oils and a good amount of carbonation that tickles your taste buds as soon as you swallow. Goes right in line with the flavor explosion.

Overall I really liked this brew. Not an easy thing for me to find in Western Pa, but something that if I see it on the shelves somewhere, I will NOT pass it by. A bar setting brew for an American style IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -21.6%

My first Surly!

A - Pours a clear dark amber color with some great head retention and viscous lacing.

S - Very fragrant pine, citrus & floral notes.

T - Yummy! Starts piney and hoppy with a malty middle and ends with the bitter hop. I kinda wish it were a bit more balanced... as the drink progresses the malt and fruit subtleties fade and I end up with mostly hop.

M - Medium body and creamy.

D - Not extremely drinkable for me... the ending hoppiness isn't complex enough and ends a bit too bitter. I would definitely drink again tho.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer from a can meant for a glass!

Thanks to DeschutesNut for throwing this in as a trade extra.

Poured from the can into my tulip glass!
Looks as beautiful as any West coast ipa I've ever seen. A nice orange/amber color. Some nice foamy white head with good retention.... later it gives a fantastic spider lacing that should prove annoying to clean up.

Smell instantly reminds me of Pliny the Elder. Huge Pine notes followed by some less pronounced citrus and a little bit of grassy character. Smells like a good West coast style, although not quite as aromatic as some of the better IPAs I've had. It's definitely pleasing.

Tastes like it smells. Hits you hard, you can really tell this thing is high on the IBUs, but it's not bittering in a negative way. The big pine character dominates the palate, and it tastes delicious. Some citrus, mainly grapefruit flavor comes in midway to sweeten things up, and then it ends with a little bit of malt and a grassy note.

Mouthfeel/drinkability seems good, but most probably wouldn't want to have more than 1 or 2 due to the palate wrecking flavor.

One of my favorite IPAs and I feel that it competes with the big dogs.

I wish I could get my hands on some Surly out west!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Hand delivered from MN

Pours out a deep brownish red color. Nice thick head forms. Tons of hop aroma. Nice pine and citrus. Taste is all hops. I have tasted some hoppy beers, but this one might take the cake. For all the hops it is not too bitter, which is amazing. The finish was plenty bitter but not on the upfront palate. This is a really great beer with a ton of wonderful flavor. It isn't a highly drinkable beer, but that is what they are going for.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company