Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,455
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,650 | Reviews: 1,429

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Amber to crimson and slightly cloudy beerage pours out with a nice lasting eggshell head.

S: Piney hops are in my face with a big grapefruit followup punch.

T: Ripe and sweet ruby-red grapefruit and pine hops flavorings. Finish is lingeringly and deliciously bitter. Great use of bittering. Damned good.

M: Consistency gets me just right, and a fine carbonation elevates it to the same plateau of fine craftsmanship.

D: Just a damn quality IPA here from Surly. I would definitely like to have another one of these to drink or even session. Finished this one too fast. I have to say, I have not really ever been impressed by IPAs brewed outside of my own backyard (California), but Furious has finally done it. Consider me impressed.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

some don't see what the hype is about, but i'm in heaven here. dark orange with an off white head that holds and leaves sweet lace. nose is toffee caramel with citrus pine. the hops really hit you right off the bat, but there is a good amount of caramelly/toffeeish malt for the burly, surly, heavy handed hopping. this is what i think of when i think American IPA. 6%abv makes it extremely drinkable. very impressive.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pouring a light copper color from the can, the beer had a slight white head in the pint glass. The aroma was surprisingly mild, composed mostly of hops with a measure of citrus. At the forefront of the taste were onion and citrus like hops. There were bitter acidic and citric notes present, crisp to the point of being an attention getter. The highlight for me were the dark sweet malts that lay the backbone. The bitterness continued into the aftertaste, lingering slightly with certain orange notes. The carbonation hovered in the moderate range, allowing the taste to linger just long enough to be noticed without overstaying its welcome. This is not my favorite effort by Surly, but it is solid and quite drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a very deep golden to full amber in color. Big, frothy, off-white to almost tan head. Retention and lacing are incredible.

S- Lots of hops are first and foremost. Deep, bitter, and very floral. Some light to medium malts are a little detectable under the hops. Towards the end of the scent, the hops turn more herbal and spicy.

T- Follows the scent pretty well. Moderate, very floral hops bitterness up front. These hops stick around throughout the drink, but fade a little into the background and balance out with some caramel malts. At the end, the hops return and are very herbal and spicy like in the scent.

M- Creamy and smooth, low to medium carbonation, and easy to drink. Hops are present, but not overpowering in either the body or flavor, increasing the drinkability of this beer.

Overall, a very balanced IPA that is a pretty good everyday drinker.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Well, I both see how this gets everyone in a tizzy... and recognize how if this were the IPA of my local brewer I'd be all over it all the time... and then have to acknowledge that I don't think this is the pinnacle of IPAs for me (I prefer West Coast style IPAs), nor do I think it's the best of the more malt-forward IPAs around (although this isn't really strong criticism... I think I'd take a Masala Mama or HopDevil over it... and maybe put it right on par with Smuttynose).

Pours a very amber-y gold with nice frothy head... it looks durn pritty! Opaque, nice lacing... me likey.

Aroma is a bit flat... but what comes through is a relatively straightforward citrus aroma backed by a toasted malt character. A little caramel or toffee.

Taste... reminds me of Arrogant Bastard's younger brother. In a good way. It has a very distinctive pine-y, resiny quality to an otherwise citrus dominated hop punch, wrapped around a firmly malty, mildly sweet, very toasted, rich caramel middle. It's just a bit cleaner and a bit milder than AB. The more cans of this I drink, the more I become convinced that if I loved AB and wanted to make it more approachable and more of an IPA... this is exactly the brew I would want. That said... it's lovely, and very drinkable... but I'm not gaga over it.

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium full with a nice spritzing carbonic touch.

Very drinkable and balanced despite the slightly astringent, resiny bitterness. It's a fine take on the style, but I really prefer a juicy, floral, malt-backward hop-forward take, and this just will never displace my favorites. That said... go forth, and try this yourself! I'll certainly be drinking this non-stop when I'm back in the upper midwest.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

A- About a 1" tan head on a cloudy orange/red body.
S- Piney, citrus, grapefruit rind, orange, hints of lemon, sweet caramel body to help balance it out a little.
T- Pine, grapefruit rind, and a orange hop. Decent size bitterness. Malt body comes through so hops don't dominate to much. A blend between pine and citrus hops.
M- Full body with medium carbonation.
D- I don't see what the big deal about this brew is. It is decent but I think there are a lot better IPA's out there IMO.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

A: This is a bit darker for an IPA has a red hue and some good carbonation

S: Massive hops and that is all I can really detect from this beer.

T: Taste is strong and bitter, delicious! If I were tasting this blind I would think it was a DIPA. Very refreshing and crisp. The low(er) ABV makes this a perfect summer brew.

M: Thin and smooth with a nice prickly carbonation.

O: I think this is a great beer from a great brewery!

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Big thanks to thewimperoo for sending me a couple of these as extras in a trade....much appreciated!

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy ruby color with nice caramel-orange highlights. About 1" of light tan colored head forms, which has excellent retention and lacing. Excellent looking brew.

Smell: A deep, sweet maltiness is what strikes me first. Following is a hop character that is very dank and resiny, along with a lesser amount of citrus.

Taste: Caramel malts up front, with some citrus towards the middle. Dank, resiny hops on the back end. Extremely nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied, with awesome fine carbonation. Drinks extremely nicely. Overall, this was more balanced than I was expecting; I tend to like citrusy hop bombs more, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I would not put this on the level of Abrasive, but it's still a damn solid IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Natasharai for a few cans of this.

Pours a roasty amber color with a very light tan head that stays well. Nice lacing.

Smells wonderful. Like a roasty hoppy smell that I have never smelled before in an IPA that was not considered a black IPA. Very plesent aroma.

Taste is awesome. It's riding the fence of maybe becoming a black IPA but not quite. There are nice roasty flavors with the awesome malt background and a very nice hop flavor that balances well together. One of the most well balanced beers I have had.

Mouthfeel is great. No complaints.

Overll I could drink a ton of this stuff. Now only if surly would distribute in CA I would buy it all the time. Good thing Natasha gave me 4 of these.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Furious from Surly Brewing Company