Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,491
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,431 | Hads: 4,974
3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from can into chilled mug.

Almost zero head atop a clear, dark amber liquid.

Limited aroma, with citrus predominating.

Very citrusy taste, particularly grapefruit, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Kind of 'thin' tasting, not very complex. Not highly hopped.

Probably a good 'intro' IPA for drinkers who don't think they like IPAs. Surprisingly good for canned beer.

Thanks, Hez1, for sending it! (413 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - A dark orange almost amber color, the head at pour is thick and then thins out to above a collar. Lots of lacing left with the glass. A bit murky.

Smell - It smells of hops a bit frosty, malt, slight corn, floral and grapefruit.

Taste - A little bit bitter with a strong grapefruit after taste. After a while a tinny taste lingers on your tongue as it washes out probably from the can.

Mouthfeel - The hop bite is solid but it feels a bit carbonated.

Drinkablitity - Average, it might set some off overall but I'd have to knock its score down as an American IPA because of the tin. I also don't particularly like grapefruit. (642 characters)

16 oz Can poured into Glass

A - Careful but speedy pour produced 2-3 fingers of head. Head dissipated within a few minutes. The color is a dark orange-amber.

S - Most notably i smell citrus and hops. Very sweet and fantastic smelling IPA.

T - I taste a fair amount of citrus for an IPA which I like. I definitely taste some grapefruit. The bitterness of the grapefruit and hops work perfectly together. Some slight caramel notes in the background.

M - Medium carbonation. Not too much or too little, just the right amount. The delicious citrus hops combination lingers in your mouth for a while.

D - I could drink this beer all day and not be sick of it. (663 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hop rich flavor and aroma, sharp crisp hop taste with a hint of grapefruit bitterness, followed by a mellower malt and hop finish. Very nice layering of flavors. Similar experience to Arrogant Bastard. Beautiful deep clear amber/dark brown color, tasted great with chargrilled steak. (283 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Furious 16oz can from the Liquor Barrel in Golden Valley.

I have to admit a little trepidation about trying a canned beer. I've had Furious on tap a number of times and wasn't sure how it would carry over. My reservations were completely unfounded. This stuff is awesome out of the can.

It pours well into a pint glass: a nice dark orange with red highlights capped with a two inch head. The smell is wonderfully hoppy with notes of citrus and pine.

Now for the taste - almost (almost) as good out of the can as it is on tap. I notice just a bit more pinch of bitterness on tap. But the hops are ever-present here as well. Not quite the artwork that is Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but it's close. And it's brewed locally! The mouthfeel wasn't exceptional, but it wasn't bad either, I may have been drinking it too fast.

If you can find this, I would definitely recommend picking up a four pack. I know I'll buy more. (926 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On cask(I'm pretty certain) at Winterfest 2/8/08 in St. Paul. A 3 oz. pour.

Appearance was a rosy orange, with a nice short head. It didn't last long, but that may have something to do with the fact I was at a beer festival and I had many other beers to try. ;)

Smell was hoppy, with a citrus scent. Taste was much smoother than the regular furious, with a pleasing fruity flavor. Felt pretty good in the mouth. Drinkability was awesome- very smooth, but I did only get around 3 ounces at a time. I like the regular Surly Furious, but I preferred the tea-bagged version over it big time.

Edit: 12-23-08 Had a full glass or two at Darkness day. Review stands. (662 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

I write this in the dark, on Notepad, during the first time li'l Charleston, SC has gotten snow in god-knows-when, which of course cripples our infrastructure in no time. No cable. No power. Dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria! Stopping me from reviewing this beer? He11 no.

BIG ups to translucent for breaking my trading cherry with this one! 16oz can, poured into a Goliath Tulip.

A: I'm using a damn flashlight, so I can't give this an impartial rating. Looks darker than I thought. But my house is darker than I thought. Nice head, instant lacing. So...4.0

S: That's the good stuff. Oh yes. Big chunky American hops all over the nose, corresponding with some real sweetness (from the Scottish malt I guess?). This aroma says two things to me -- bold, and balanced.

T: I'm having trouble likening this to another IPA I've had. Very, very unique character here. Good bitter/sweet balance throughout, but the hop flavors are hard to place. Not your run-of-the-mill pine & grapefruit. I'm getting some orange, maybe even some nuttiness in the back? Interesting.

M: Fell a little short in this department, not enough body in this one for me. Would like to get more "chew" out of it. Coats the tongue well enough, just a little thin. I forgive them.

D: Um, yea. Could drink too many of these very easily.

Now it's time to return to pleasuring myself to some cave paintings I made earlier until the power comes back on. (1,433 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 16 oz can into standard shaker pint glass.

Pours crystal clear copper color with a thick 1-1 1/2 finger off white head that dissipated after a couple minutes leaving behind lots of lacing.

Smells like grapefruit and pine needles. Very faint malt coming through with noticeable bready yeast. The hop character is what dominates...very apparent and very pleasant.

Initial hit of citrus gives way to some dark caramel malt sweetness that's complimented by a bit of yeast. Big pine resin and slight citrus peel bitterness dominate the finish; it wraps around your tongue and lingers. I'm loving this!

Medium bodied, mouth coating, good carbonation. Plenty of substance that lays down nicely and provides a good stage for all those hops.

Overall this was one of the most enjoyable IPAs I've had. West Coast style from Minnesota. I will be getting in touch with the BA who sent me this in a trade and begging for more very soon! (940 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Furious poured into a new belgium globe glass.
A: Red, orange, mahogany.
S: Citrus, hoppy, a little bit skunky
T: Nice punch of hops, tad bit smoky with the swallow.
M: Immediately, with the first sip, all tastebuds are alive and feelin' good. Very enjoyable aftertaste - stays with you but not for an overwhelmingly long period of time.
D: Superb beer. Like most IPAs - probably can't drink it all night but it is a fab beer. I would drive to the Cities just for this! Love that it's served in a can. Unique and fun! (518 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark reddish color, head retention is good

S: Hops slap you in the face, nice fruity smell and not completely overpowering

T: Hops, hops, hops. Citrus, grapefruit, tastes like a Summit EPA on steroids. Palate is cleansed after this one.

M: Decenty sticky

D: No problem drinking as much of this stuff as you want. (319 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Capra12 for hooking me up with a can of this beer. Was way better thank I expected, especially considering it was in a can!!!

A: pours a nice golden-brown color, good carbonation look, and a small head that didn't last long.

S: primarily hops, with some malt to it, and mild evergreen scent as well. very little alcohol smell to this one.

T: Initial taste is all hops, which was fantastic, followed by some mild citrus and a small amount of pine/oak notes.

M: medium body, with some lingering hoppiness, which I loved! Finishes shortly after teh swallow.

O: a great canned beer, huge surprise as I normally wouldn't drink canned beers. This is one I will most definately look for again! Delicous! You need to try this if you are a hop head! (765 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Obtained this in a BIF from surlytwinsfan.

A - Crimson/amber in color. Good clarity. One finger creamy white head consisting of many tiny bubbles. Leaves a decent lacing on glass.

S - Citrus and pine aromas from the hops. Sweet caramel, coffee and toffee aromas as well.

T - Piney and citrus hops linger on the palate. Hints of grapefruit. I get some toffee flavors as well. I enjoy the aggressive chewiness from the hops. Very well balanced.

M - Medium bodied. Good carbonation with pleasant creaminess throughout.

Overall a very unorthodox IPA. This beer is extremely enjoyable. The pine and citrus hops are fantastic. Surly knows how to make a damn good canned beer. Other than Daisy Cutter this is one of the best canned beer I have ever had. (752 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A (4.75): Poured from a can into a pint glass. Somewhat Translucent Amber ale with huge number of sprites rising to the 1/4 inch creamy fluff of a head. Nice lacing on glass tilt. Looks good. Lacing holds up fairly well with an 1/8 inch remaining on last pull.

S (3.75):Hop brightness is present but not overwhelming. Slight citrus scent becomes more of a grapefruit tang as it warms though still at a low level - present, but not overwhelming.

T (3.75): Bitter at first taste. Let it warm up a little (3-5 minutes). That was much better.
Softer, and taste is more balanced between the hop bitterness and the weightier thicker biscuit malt - the hops have something to ride on. But, there is less flavor that anticipated for an IPA bracket.

M (4.5): Creamy and smooth due mainly to the froth. Slick on the backend, but dissipates quickly.
After letting it warm, it opens up and becomes more full. The bitterness is still there, but more tempered.
Actually a really nice balance - wish I have a thermometer to determine the temp.

O (4): I had this a week earlier and was impressed by it's fullness. Tried it this afternoon and the balance was off - maybe too cold as I took it straight from the fridge.
After letting it sit for a few minutes...Wow, what a difference. More balanced in T & M and the scent took on a different hue. Overall a very nice ale and not too high an ABV either (6.6%), so another can be easily enjoyed at the same sitting. The bitterness was somewhat unadorned - the flavor package was good, but had me wanting a little more. Still a good solid ale...Just be a little patient when taking it out of the fridge. (1,638 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

appearance: 16oz. non-nitro can. Intense red/black reversible graphics can be read sideways, upside down, right side up, or in fixed gear bicycle crash whilst neck deep in a slow-motion apocalypse. Ultra thick meringue-like head of foam. Even non-Jesus type beings could walk on this liquid crown of glory. Multi-layered belgian lacing assimilating the sides my imperial pint glass molecules. Fasten your seat-belts ladies and gentlemen. This is gonna be one hell of a ride.

smell: Copious amounts of Jamaican grapefruit zest, freshly picked by my sun bronzed Norwegian Pipes O' Thor a la hawaiian tropic oil, standing arms length away from a massive bushel of the devious cousin de la Humulus Lupulus....Snap out of it beachscrat!! You've got a review to write!! (ENTER SOUND OF ME PUNCHING MYSELF IN THE FACE)

taste: Orgasmic mouth watering bittersweet biscuits and marmalade. God damn man, this beer is out of a can? That ain't right.

mouthfeel: Slightly viscous and chewy. Just enough to go bare-knuckle toe-to-toe with the malt and hops.

drinkability: Although I shouldn't, due to the alcohol and all...aw screw it, I'm drinkin' these cans 'til they run outta aluminum.

music: "And Blood Was Passion" from The Deafening Twilight by Zebulon Pike (clocking in at 13 min 12 sec...one of the short songs from this album)

Thank God for Minnesotans and God save the malt and hops. (1,397 characters)

Had Furious tap in pint glass at pub. Nice dark copper color with decent head. Smell was highly vegetal; strong hop aroma with pine overtones. Strong, but not overwhelming, hop flavor. This is a highly hopped beer and very good for its type, but I the hops really overpowered the malt. Although I enjoy a hoppy beer, I would have liked a bit more balance. Good mouthfeel. Overall a quite drinkable beer. (403 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Tap pour into a pint glass.

Amber in color with an almost cloudy look.

Crisp smelling, really smells like a "Hey, you really want to drink me" beer.

Hoppy taste with full flavor. Has a hint of bitter but goes down easy.

Not a fan of it in the can but very flavor full on tap. (287 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

My first Surly.Thanks DRINKNDRIVE.I really love and appreciate a real ipa. Not overboard on the hops.Nice balance.

Murky amber color upon pouring.The aroma is slightly sweet,resinous,piney.Nice flavor with average hop bite and a pleasant mouthfeel that makes you want another sip. It has a good malt balance in aftertaste.I could really drink a few of these in one sitting. (374 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Deep brown. Dark Amber...whatever. About a fingers worth of head that quickly resolved. TONS of lacing. I love it!

S: HUGE grapefruit nose. Some wildflowers in the background. Best ever!

T: Very smooth. Hoppy to the end. Finishes with no aftertaste or hop bitterness.

M: Kinda dry. Clean an crisp...nothing unusual here.

D: Very drinkable...maybe too much so.

Overall: Best beer ever! This is my favorite beer ever! (457 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -10.4%

LOOK.
Pours a deep ruby red. Lace is sticky to the near-finish.

AROMA.
Citrus peel, uncooked malt.

BODY.
Medium w/ a supportive carbonation.

FLAVOR.
Pine and hints of caramel and biscuit in the start. Quickly makes way for hops which impart an assertive citrus character. The bitterness is prominent without being astringent or resiny.

AFTERMATH.
For me, the last couple of sips contain the slightest suggestion of peach. Not one I would session, but I could certainly imagine popping the top on one of these after, say, an long afternoon stroll. (555 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a well above average IPA. Great hop balance, not too bitter, great back-end hop additions. The important attributes - mouthfeel is good for an IPA, not too dry, but you can taste the zing, appearance is just right, most importantly it tastes great. This is near the top of IPAs in my book, a definite A/A-. (314 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

Bought at Apollo Liquor (local Surly, and other micro-brew carrier in Rochester, MN). Poured into a Stella Artois tapered pint.
A: A gorgeous reddish, brown haze. Pours a full finger of head which retains well, leaving thin strands of lacing well down the glass. I love that I can see the carbonation releasing slowly throughout the beer.
S: Very hoppy, daddy like, a gorgeous bouquet of fruit.
T: Quite bitter, but well balanced against what i believe are peach and pear notes with clove to round the palate.
M: Medium Full, all the flavors play in your mouth for a real treat.
D: Furious is a very highly drinkable beer, I have used it to convert many a friend away from drinking poor excuses for beer (miller, Anheuser busch, etc) with great results. I feel it always tastes better when drank while playing disc golf.
I highly recommend this beer to anyone who believes they like IPA's. Mmmm... (898 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass

A - Deep amber in color, light pour yields a nice cream colored 2 finger head which thins leaving light lacing

S - Big piney hops, grapefuit, sweet citrus

T - The first time I tasted this beer I felt that the name described the taste best, FURIOUS! It has a taste/bite like no other IPA ive ever tried. Follows the nose at first with grapefruit, citrus, and hop notes up front. finishes with a nice caramel flavor.

M - Smooth, light carbonation feel, resinous aftertaste

D - Big hop profile and resinous feel makes you want to keep on sipping.

Overall, very tasty stuff, one of my favorite IPAs but I can only have a couple in one sitting just because there is SO much flavor. This IPA is like no other i've tried, in a good way. I highly recommend trying it if you have access to it (Minnesota folk). (847 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Lighter copper with a nice white head.

S - Citric hops and medium toasted malts were paired nicely

T - Hops are prominent and dominant with a lot of care to make sure its still an IPA but with a decent and flavorful body to back it up

M - Right in the middle where an IPA should be. Carbonation was moderate

D - A pretty easy going, albeit very hoppy IPA that I could session with no issues. (399 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow, what a brew. Poured into a tulip pint glass, this is the most beautiful beer ever, lovely orange-copper color with a rich, creamy head. The smell of hops hits you before you even lift it up to drink, but close sniffing brings out classic pine and citrus hop aromas. The taste is fantastic, big hops up front, followed by an explosion of sweet malts, and rounded out with great hops bitterness which lingers until your next slug. This beer doesn't cheat you in any way. The beer is pretty crisp considering all the flavor and alcohol you are dealing with. They go down easy, but a couple of these can sneak up on you in a hurry. This would be my standard beer if I could get it on a regular basis. Bravo Surly. (714 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer has an overall amber color. The head is very thick with a beige/amber color. Aromas of pine, caramels and tea leaves make give this beer an overall earthy tone. Flavors include grapefruit, pine and spices. The aftertaste overall is dry and bitter. (257 characters)

Furious from Surly Brewing Company