Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,493
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,422 | Hads: 4,914
4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Junnila for the oppurtunity to try this beer.
A - Pours a milky brown with a dense vanilla head that disipates into nothingness leaving a thick lace.
S - Sweet hops, grapefruit, milk thistle, pine all come to mind here.
T - A plesent hop bitterness that doesn't stop. Heavy floral hops with some hints of sweet citrus. Very nice.
M - Slightly milky with good carbonation and a coating that leaves that familiar bitter hop aftertase but in no way was it offensive.
D - A great beer that I wish was avaliable in my neck of the woods. Definately a high quality hop bomb that I never would have expected to come from a can. (629 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

After all the extremely overbearing hype here, I was finally able to try the Surly Furious on tap at the Blue Nile in Minneapolis.

It poured a nice deep copper, cloudy, with minimal head. Looked pretty decent.

The aroma was... well hell, it's an IPA. What do you expect to be in the aroma? This was hops. And hops. And more hops. Oh, and some hops. There was a hint of malt sweetness at one point, followed by some hops. Did I mention hops? This one has a citursy hop zing that alomst but not quite burns your nose. Very unashamedly upfront about the hoppiness.

The first thing that hits you upon taking a sip is the serious bitterness, followed by a full cirtusy, flowery hop flavor. Oddly, the floral flavor seems to get bigger in your mouth even after you've swallowed the sip. it keeps growing and growing, making you think you may never taste anything else ever again before finally breaking and letting a bit of malt shine through for a well-short-of-balancing sweetness. The sip finally fades away with a combination of sweet malt and floral citurs hop flavors. This is definitely a hop foward beer, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The mouthfeel is a tad thinnish, but that's probably a good thing, as anything thicker in a beer like this would be tough to drink. As it is, it works.

This is nicely done! I can't get into the whole "Omigod, I had a Surly and now I have to change undies! Must post Surly information on BA every 30 seconds!" overhype, but there's a reason these brews are pushed by their consumers as much as they are. They are quite good. This one is well worth seeking out if you're anywhere near their distribution area. (1,656 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

In sampler glass at the 1st annual Firkin Fest at the Happy Gnome.

It pours a beautiful deep amber with a fleeting though thick and cream-colored head. Absolutely gorgeous beer.

Subtle hoppy smell, citrus fruits, some pine, quite floral and very delicate and complex.

Exceptional taste. The tea and the ipa flavors blend perfectly. The tea is ever-present but not dominant and not too subtle. White tea perhaps? The hoppiness is refreshing and more subdued than in regular furious. The alcohol is not even noticeable.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Incredibly smooth, medium-bodied beer that goes down easily and joyfully. a slight clinginess with the hops providing a subtle compliment to the smoothness and body.

One of the most drinkable IPAs I have ever had, or any beer for that matter. So smooth, so delectable, I could drink this all day long and any day. Just a supremely-crafted beer. (892 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got a 3 oz. pour at the First Annual Firkin Fest at The Happy Gnome 2008. Golden Red, slightly cloudy body with nice foamy head. Smells strongly of citrus hops. IF - nicely balanced hops and slightly sweet malt. Grapefruit and other citrus flavors come through in the dominantly hoppy aftertaste. Not sure about tea. I am guessing this means dry-hopped. Nice and hoppy. Medium to full bodied with smooth finish. Very tatsy and awesome to get on cask. Notably different from the normal Furious, more smooth and slightly better balance. Both are great. (550 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -20.8%

bottle courtesy of Tytoanderso
Pours a rich maroon color with a huge fluffy beige head that lasts and lasts. Smell is big on hops and a red ale like malt backing. Kind of reminds me of either Bear Republic Red Rocket or Hop Rod Rye. Very fresh smelling. Dark rich caramelly piney hops flavor with a strong hop bitterness that coats the mouth. I really want a touch more malt in this one, and the body is a touch thin. Some medicinal grassy, aspirin like bitterness that will satisfy hopheads, but it was a bit too much or perhaps slightly unbalanced for me. Still can appreciate it as a well done strong IPA. Thanks Tyler! (622 characters)

4.32/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a hazy, mild brown with a soft white head. A great caramelly hop aroma is followed by a slightly bitter, creamy taste when it hits your lips. It finishes with both sweet and sour notes and leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. It's definitely among the best canned beers I've ever had. (304 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours with an off white head that stays a good two fingers thick for most of the brew. Nice amounts of lace mark the glass. Very good looking hazy brownish orange color.

Smells of hops!, citric, grapefruity, resiny hops! oh and there's some caramel malt some where in the midst of all those hop aromas.

This is one hell of a tasty drinkable beer. Damn Scott only sent me one whats up with that? (jk, I wouldn't want to give any up). The hops lead the charge all the way through, citrus, grapefruit, pine and a strong malt presence to try and stop the onslaught of the hops but to no avail. What the hell just happend to me? (625 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Dark orange fading up to brown toward the top, meeting with an off-white head. Smells of pine, biscuit and some floral notes. Tastes very West Coast, hop forward, a tad intense. The citrus quickly gives way to pine before opening up to a peppery accompaniment to sweet malt. A piney resin remains on the tongue with a teensy bit of toasted oat. Fairly well balanced, even considering the initial onslaught. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full bodied, though perhaps not so shocking when taking into account the thickness of the Bender I had the prior eve. Very rich, wouldn't pick this as a warm weather quencher, but its lovely for a cold day watching hockey. I enjoy it, but the Furious assault of hops is wearing out my tongue, a little heavy for not being a dipa. Still nice and warming, and again, well balanced. Big thanks to mully for the can. I'm quite happy to have another waiting in the fridge. (900 characters)

The Scene:

We were going to a show in downtown Mpls & stopped into MacKenzie's for a beer. We asked the bartender to give us something good - he asked, "Every heard of Surly?"

We drank. I almost wept.

Before the Furious experience I'd been dabbling in craft beers, but still spent most of my time with solid old-timers like Sam Adams & Summit. Furious literally changed my beer life. I'd never tasted its like before. After the show we went back for more. My wife liked it as well as I did. Goodbye, Mr. Adams (not that there's anything wrong with Sam Adams, still a respectable beer, especially in places that haven't heard of craft beer!).

It's been in the fridge ever since. It is, and has been since my first taste, my favorite available year-round beer. I hope to find something better someday.

Plenty's been written about Furious - the intense hops, pale orangish color. I love the pinish knocking on the back of the throat, & the all-out hop assault on all quarters of the mouth. My belly feels warm already. I'll savor this one for a good hour.

I love this beer! (1,081 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from can into imperial pint glass.
A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with nice thick creamy white head.
S: Aroma is dead-on fresh passion fruit...craziness. Hint of hops, but nothing compared to the taste.
T: Holy hops, Batman! The hops hit hard first...citrus hops. Then a definite pine note comes through...amazing. Intermingling are caramel, starfruit, and just a hint of toffee which comes through after a few quaffs calms the hop note down.
M: Very complex and wonderful feel on the tongue.
D: Extraordinarily hoppy. For you hop-heads out there, this is the beer for you. Personally, I like a little less hops, so the drinkability for my taste takes a little hit here. Overall, an amazing beer...very complex in nature. (728 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

Furious indeed...
Pour from 16 oz can to a wine glass. Pour is dark amber. Fully hazed. Fairly large tan head - super lacing.

Nose blows me away - hop soup. Northwest hops come out in full force.

Medium to light mouthfeel upfront - the hops assert quickly. A hint of tea, a blast of grapefruit, flower petals, intense bittering as it flows through. Wow, is this one (furiously) bitter beer. Finish just bites and bites and bites at you.

The malts remain present, although not in a big way and not driving mouthfeel, but still - the malt keeps the hop just in line....for a while.

Yeah, furious indeed. (605 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 16oz can into an Imperial pint glass. Poured aggressively, resulting in a 2 finger head of rocky foam that lasts quite awhile. Cloudy and dark copper in color, it left great lacing on the glass. HUGE grapefruit nose initially that lasted throughout with a faint bready aroma. There is a pronounced fop flavor with lingering bitterness. A slight 'Tootsie Roll' taste in the background tries to balance out the prodigious hop flavor. The hop bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste. Medium in body, Furious is an outstanding beer that is hard to pick out flaws. I'll have another after I'm done writing and try to find some! (640 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a murky mahogany in color. Slightly tan head that slowly vanishes to a scattered film. Lace just coats the inside of the glass. Nose is full of dark malts and aromatic and pine hops.

Flavor has a solid, rich base of malts. They really hold up well even with all of the hops. Hops pack a wallop that really send the senses off kilter until I adjusted. Lots of pine and floral hops. Light but all the oils help thicken up the mouthfeel of this beer. Drinkable but my tongue is numbing after only one can. (509 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance - Appears semi-hazy and opaque amber in my half-liter mug. Definitely not the palest IPA I've seen. The head retains very well.

Smell - Grapefruit, lemon and pine with a hint of caramel from the malts. Very aromatic stuff with a big hop presence.

Taste & mouthfeel - Lots of resiny pine flavor from the get-go. Biscuity, caramelly malt makes a brief appearance before being washed out by the powerful bittering hops. Very full-bodied; the malt backbone is big but semi-dry and doesn't get in the way of the impressive hop character. Despite the rather high IBU, this is really pleasant and drinkable stuff; and the hops, while strong, never border on astringent.

Notes - Awesome stuff, one of the best IPAs I've ever had. This IPA can easily rival the best from California. (787 characters)

4.32/5  rDev 0%

16oz can received in trade from mully .. very nice trade if I do say so.. I must try the Raspberry Eisbocks sometime soon.. Tonight Steven and I are sampling the final Furious... Cheers Matt Thanks a bunch... Mine poured into my New Belgium Snifter.

Long lasting pillowy head.. good lacing atop a very hazy amber brew.... Is Furious "Can-conditioned"?

Aroma is big sprucy pine.. quite a bit of caramel and a whaff or two of chocolate. But no doubt this is a very hoppy IPA. A big pale malt component.

Flavor is huge bitter backbone out of the gate.. melds into hoppy spicy and piney/citrus hoppy notes.. good caramel mid palate .. sorta oily hoppiness lingers .. fairly dry finish. Piney and grapefruity.. touches of toffee.. and again a little chocolate. Great body and abundant carbonation. Hugely complex and satisfying.

A complete IPA even for a West Coast palate.. I prefer a little malt with my hops and Furious delivers.

Thanks to mully and again hit me up any time.. I want the Surly. (997 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Pours a dark ruby amber into my Nonic. Head rises a bit and settles quickly.

Aromas is light and sweet with a light hoppy presence.

Hits the palate smooth and sweet - quickly transitioning into a strongly bitter hops that transitions to dryness all over keeping the bitter to the end.

This one is a bit thin on the mouth but just about right for the brew. Could drink more than a few of these boys.

Thx for the opportunity - pretty good and all but missing something. Maybe it needs something to transition to that bitter edge. It just does not do it all for me. (566 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On cask(I'm pretty certain) at Winterfest 2/8/08 in St. Paul. A 3 oz. pour.

Appearance was a rosy orange, with a nice short head. It didn't last long, but that may have something to do with the fact I was at a beer festival and I had many other beers to try. ;)

Smell was hoppy, with a citrus scent. Taste was much smoother than the regular furious, with a pleasing fruity flavor. Felt pretty good in the mouth. Drinkability was awesome- very smooth, but I did only get around 3 ounces at a time. I like the regular Surly Furious, but I preferred the tea-bagged version over it big time.

Edit: 12-23-08 Had a full glass or two at Darkness day. Review stands. (662 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

1 pint can, contents poured into a Stone OG tulip glass

Appearance is a cloudy deep amber hue with ruby highlights, huge off-white head of craggy foam, thick sticky lacing

Smell is honey sweetened grapefruit, balanced by a fair amount of caramel and bread malts, slight alcohol

Taste is dominated by sweet and sour grapefruit hops that are kept in check by a prominent malt profile of breads, caramel, and roast, finishes dry and malty

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, watery texture with an oily resin coating, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, this is a solid IPA at 6%abv, well-balanced with a surprising malt presence, this definitely has less hops than what we find with SoCal IPAs and it is refreshing to find an example of malts playing nice with hops (763 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

**Thanks to Hopheed2113 for the trade**

Poured into tulip glass. Rich amber color, hazy with a fluffy & tan, two-finger head. Heav lacing.

Earthy on the nose, carmel/toasty malt followed with a peppery and mild hopiness. Can make out woody and grassy notes with a sour, biscuit backbone.

A very balanced IPA to put it bluntly. The palate makes out some brown sugar inspired malt and finishes with a sweet, lemon zest finish. Creamy mouthfeel with a few hits of crisp carbonation but ends with a gradual bittnerness that leaves the mouth dry.

A nice, well-rounded IPA that provides a little bit of a novelty with the can packaging. This one is very drinkable and the alcohol is hidden well. I love my hop blasts but appreciate the balance in this IPA. Hope I can line up another trade to get some more of this; trade anyone?! (829 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to Scoobydank for this fine beer.Oh wait...
So obviously I have had this beer in all kinds of formats, but I will review the canned version.
L:Thick slightly off whie head. Great maber looking color getting closer to red than anything.
S:Big fat stinky pungent grapefruity hop smell. Just a touch of peach. Very faint roasted malt nutty smell.
T:Big grapefruit up front. Also a very roasty bisquity smell. Just a slight light caramel sweetness. All those firey hops land immediately on the roof of your motuh on first sip.
M:A thick slightly syrupyness with a round warmness.
D:Great. Definitely one of those I need a big beer brews. (640 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

16 ounce can

Looked nice, coppery color, white head, lots of sticky lace.

Smelled hoppy, citrus hops mostly. some malt sweetness in the nose as well.

Taste was a bitter citrus hop flavor which was not balanced much. There is some sweet malt, but definitely a hop heavy IPA.

The mouthfeel was pretty thick and mouth coating with lots of oily hops on the tongue.

This one was easy to drink. Went down easy although I would more prefer a bit of balance I would drink this one all night long if that was an option. (518 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

1pt. can into half pint glass on 1/25/08. Thanks to BA Deuane for sharing.

A - Clear amber/orange body with small, whispy white head and ample carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Lots of grapefruit in the nose. The citrus hops are balanced with some bready and sweet caramel malts, but the aroma is primarily grapefruit.

T - The harsh citrus bitterness overpowers the maltiness. Could use a bit more malt to counter the hop bite. Malt has a burnt, roasted flavor.

M - Medium body with a watery/oily texture. Warm, burnt quality on the tongue. Very long, metallic bitter finish.

D - Not the most drinkable IPA I've had. This one packs a pretty harsh, metallic punch in the face. (699 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this for awhile but just recently joined BA and thought I should review one of my local favorites.

A-Deep dirty red color with a good sized head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a nice amount of lace on the sides.

S-Mmmm, I can almost taste it, definitely high notes of hops but definitely not overkill. Reminds me of being outdoors for some reason.

T-Great blend of bitter hops and woodsy malt.

M-Very nice bitterness that stays with you for a good while after it has gone down.

D-I am indeed a hophead and have no problem calling this one of my session beers.

Overall a really enjoyable IPA that even non hop lovers can appreciate. Keep it up Surly, two years have done you well, I can't begin to imagine what the next two will bring. (768 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

A- poured a pretty cloudy amber almost brown, had a huge fluffy head that slowly faded and left huge lacing.

S- really strong smells of piney citrusy hops

T- very strong hops throughout, starts with a strong hop crisp flavor that somehow gets stronger and more hoppy as it goes on. ends with a nice sticky lingering hop flavor

M- medium body, high carbonation, lingers on the tongue

D- sweet deal (400 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -3%

Received in a trade from the very awesome and generous Younger35.

The beer pours a rustic brown with light tan highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head caps this beer off. It left patchy lacing on the sides of the imperial pint glass. You can smell the aromatics coming off of this as you pour the beer. Huge wafts of fresh grapefruit, pine, ripe citrus fruit, toffee and caramel malt scent try to even things out. The first sip brings on huge flavors of fresh grapefruit, fruity esters, and a very dominant malt base. This beer has a bite on it that is approaching double IPA proportions. The hop flavor is in your face, but the biscuity malt reigns it in just right. The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Drinkability is very good on this beer. It isn't the most well balanced IPA, but I like the different take Furious brought to the table.

Thanks for the trade Dan! (891 characters)

Furious from Surly Brewing Company