Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,493
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,433 | Hads: 4,988
4.58/5  rDev +6%

16 ounce can acquired in a trade with scoobydank, thanks a lot for this great beer from Surly, I wish I had more

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a reddish brown color and an off white head that was about 3/4 inch, left lacing up until the very last sip forty minutes later, the beer was a lot darker than I was expecting, figured it would be gold like most other IPAs I drink

Smell was the only thing was not perfect to me, mainly because the pine and citrus aromas dominated it even though they smelled very good, it just was not as complex as it could have been

Taste was very good, nice piney hops attack the tastebuds immediately, fades into an orange and lemony taste, followed by a dry finish, towards the end once the beer started to warm, I began tasting some caramel and toffee hints which made this taste even better than it was cold right out of the refrigerator, extremely hoppy IPA and I could not ask for much more

Could drink this all day and night, fantastic beer that is not heavy at all and keeps you coming back for more and more, the alcohol content is not too high either, so I could drink a four pack of these any day of the week

Highly recommended, add another beer to list to prove that craft beer out of a can is just as good or better than out of a bottle, another winner from Surly, I need them to can Darkness soon though, grab this if you can, it is definitely worth trading for if you dont have access to it normally

This beer amazed me with how good it was and exceeded every expectation I had for it, I am surprised it is not higher on the Best of Beer Advocate list, it belongs in the top twenty in my opinion (1,658 characters)

Pours brown with orange highlights and a thick khaki colored head. Citrusy hop aroma with sweet malt, caramel and toffee. The mouthfeel is medium-to-full-bodied and soft. Furious is malty and hoppy. Unique IPA simply for the different malts that were used. The taste is hoppy and citrusy upfront. There's a nice caramel maltiness midway that gives way to a piney bitterness. Scottish malts add an great touch to it and provide a feint peatiness to the finish. (459 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Hand delivered from MN

Pours out a deep brownish red color. Nice thick head forms. Tons of hop aroma. Nice pine and citrus. Taste is all hops. I have tasted some hoppy beers, but this one might take the cake. For all the hops it is not too bitter, which is amazing. The finish was plenty bitter but not on the upfront palate. This is a really great beer with a ton of wonderful flavor. It isn't a highly drinkable beer, but that is what they are going for. (457 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

franksnbeans sent this one over along with a bottle of peche mortel, man what a trade.

A: Pours a nice deep red color with a huge frothy foamy head. The head is a true warrior and hangs around for quite a long time. As I slammed down drink after drink it left behind sheets, and I do mean SHEETS of lacing.

S: I can tell before even taking a drink this is a very aggressive brew. The aromas are big and bold. Its hop madness times 3. Hops dominate here with citrus playing a big roll. I detect tons of ruby red grapefruit along with the acidity of lemon zest. The malt is present though and comes thru in undertones of caramel and coffee. I proclaim before even taking a drink this is going to be a great one.

T: Who’s Your Daddy! This one has come to play. Wow the flavors abound. Immediately you are assaulted by bitter citric hops which assault your tongue and throat. My mouth and tongue is thoroughly coated by this gem of a beer. The coating of the mouth reveals a true chameleon of a beer. Waves of flavor pass by the taste buds so fast that the brain has trouble processing them. Deep pine resin reminiscent of pine tar comes on strong. A mild sweetness then overtakes you. I would describe the sweetness as a marriage between nutty toffee, and browned butter. It really smoothes this one out a bit. As the brew hits the bottom of my throat all taste subsides except for a nice hop bitterness that seems to last and last.

M: This is a full bodied brew that is nice and thick.

D: So drinkable. I only had one can, but have objectivemonkey sending me more. No doubt if I had access to this one my fridge would stay full and I would be a very happy man. This beer alone would make a trip to Minnesota in the dead of winter a good idea.

All hail a true craft beer in a can! I have heard it described as liquid crack, and I have to agree. Can someone pass the pipe, I need another hit! (1,895 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

This beer pours a surprisingly slightly dark reddish brown color. It boasts a thick, fluffy light tan head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a huge lacing.

This beer has a great hoppy aroma. It smells very floral and citrusy. I detect some grapefruit, and lemon aromas. The aroma is powerfull. It dominates the beer. It is not overbearing, but it lets you know you are drinking an IPA.

This beer tastes very citrusy. Mostly some grapefruit, but some lemon and even a little orange flavors are present. It has a slightly oily pine hop flavor.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. I leaves a, you guessed it, citrusy aftertaste. Carbonation is just right.

This beer would make a good session beer. It is not too high in alcohol, and it tastes good.

Overall: Thanks Faro for this great beer. I have been looking forward to trying this beer. Also, I have been looking forward to trying a craft beer in a can. I know there is nothing wrong with cans, but as a force of habit, it is hard to take a canned beer seriously. This beer is all the proof I need to know that my previous thoughts were wrong. (1,101 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured a dark brownish copper color with a small white head. Left very little lacing.

The nose is very much all citrus. Grapefruit and lemony mostly.

Taste is grapefruit and grassy. A little bit of pine in the finish and it is incredibly crisp and smooth. Not harsh at all.

Medium bodied and it is very refreshing. I looked forward to each sip after sip. Im going to need to make a trade to get some of these in cans. (421 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%

Sampled through the efforts of Imstillthegman and 1000 Miles (or East/West again) BIF.

A clear brown colored beer with a light brown colored head, among the darkest AIPAs I have ever seen.

Extremely fragrant beer hops leap out and grab your nose from across the room lots of pine and citrus. A close sniff reveals a considerable malt character as well, chocolate and a little cake with some caramel. Pineapple, mango, menthol and pine resin grips the nose most tightly. Considerable wood, tea and coffee scents are in this too I can say it is the most complex scented AIPA yet.

The taste starts out a little sweet and a little bitter at the beginning with a very dry woody after taste. The interplay of the sweet and bitter here reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard that I drink often and this could as easily be considered a Strong Ale. Chocolate and coffee peak out around the corners from time to time here but this is mostly a strong and bitter beer.

The mouthfeel is quite full.

Drinkable in the same way that Stone Arrogant Bastard is and it will take more than one can to really determine this. This is a strong beer without a doubt. The thing that strikes me the most about this beer is the fact that if you handed me the glass without seeing the can I would swear on the Bible that this was in fact a glass of Stone Arrogant Bastard, right down to the color of it. (1,378 characters)

Had this can waiting for me on my porch after a long bike ride. I knew it was a package from vjslow and I expected it to contain Alpha Kong and 120 Minute IPA, the agreed upon trade. I find both of the afore mentioned beers plus a Seven Mules Kick-Ass Ale and 2, yes 2!, cans of Surly Furious. I have never had the beer, but I hear it is pretty good. Oh yes, it is very good, quite remarkable in fact. Easily the best beer I have ever had from a can, and possibly the best beer I have ever had, period.
Appearance Dark ruby red, with thn white head that dissipates down into a tiny ring that stays with the beer till the end.
Smell was very florally hoppy. You can actually smell the bitterness the beer contains
Taste is phenomenal. Bitter and aggressive, yet incredibly balanced. The hops kind of burn your tongue, but the beer is also slightly sweet which helps
Mouthfeel is quite rich. The oily hops coat your mouth and actually caused me to salivate. A sticky resin stays in my throat until I take another sip.
Drinkability again is superior. If only one beer could be produced as the national craft beer of America, Surly's Furious would make a strong bid.
Absolutely incredible beer. I was blown away and definitely did not expect it to be this good. Again, a big thanks to vj2slow. (1,289 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Sigh. This is what an IPA should be. Period. This and Dreadnaught. The others are just posers. It's like squeezing the oil out of a bushel of hops and injecting it directly into your veins. My god. Yet the bitterness is juuust barely balanced with some thick malty sweetness. It's not one dimensional like Ruination. I like Ruination, but i like the subtle balance of Furious better.

I'm a little worried about this beer with the impending hop shortage i've heard so much about lately. The amount of hops that go into this beer must be off the charts. If they can still get all the hops they need for this a few months from now, surely the price will go up noticeably.

Man. Fantastic stuff. (692 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a deep hazy copper with a finger's worth of foam. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Hoppy, but not overpoweringly so. There's a nice balance evident in the smell, as some of the sweetness from the malt mixes with the citrus of the hops.

T: Damn. This is a tasty IPA. The hops are full of citrus flavors, with a bit of earthiness that's brought out by the malt. A nice caramel sweetness balances it out well, creating a wonderfully balanced IPA.

M: Smooth with a nice crisp carbonation.

D: I wish I could get this in MA regularly! I'd long given up on beers that come in cans, but after seeing this in the top 100, I figured I had to give it a try. And damn, was it worth it. This is a really well-made and very drinkable IPA. (728 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark amber color with a sturdy head that leaves shards of lace

Smell: Pineapple and pine; grapefruit pith, too

Taste: Starts with an incredibly fruity blend of pineapple, tangerine and grapefruit that, after the swallow, becomes quite pithy and slightly herbal, with the caramel malt elements also coming into play

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Just a classic IPA for those who like their beers fruity and bitter (474 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

16oz can, my first surly beer not consumed at the great taste of the midwest - thanks nchrist13

appearance: well - its in a can. I must admit that this is a pretty cool novelty and it would be pretty killer to drink this stuff from the can at various social events. anyways, the beer is hazy as hell with a glowing ruby body...thick foamy beige head with great lacing.

smell: i took a whiff immediately after cracking this one open and the hop punch knocked me against the cabinets...upon further examination the nose is nearly perfect with an overpowering citrus and pine hop burst...tropical fruit also present and adding a nice sweet touch

taste: strong pine bitterness, huge citrus hops - sugar covered grapefruit, sweet tropical fruit punch, great caramel malt in the background...just a great IPA

mouthfeel: strong hop bite, high bitterness

drinkability: mmm (870 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

This can sat outside the fridge for about 20 minutes, and once opened it exploded, resulting in froth all over the kitchen floor (not even my own kitchen floor, but all over msubulldog25's...yeah, I felt bad). After a bit of mopping up, the head pours soapy and sticky and huge, with voluminous lace forming as it drops. The color is a hazy caramel-copper.

The huge caramel notes in the aroma threaten to overshadow the hops, and everything mingles quite nicely, with hops leaning on the piney side.

When people think "IPA", hops come to mind first and foremost. But it seems the best IPAs are just as impressive for malt profile and the balance it contributes (I'm thinking Two-Hearted and S.N.'s 2007 Anniversary offering). Furious is one of these, with creamy, caramel/toffee maltiness clinging to piney, west-coast style hoppiness. Finishes with a grassy/citrus ping, and the mouthfeel is round and creamy, while ending dry and even a bit rough. It's a killer...a big-beer lover's IPA for sure...huge-tasting without the huge ABV. Nice.

Less hop-centered and more seriously malty-big than many other IPAs, but certainly well-balanced. Superbly drinkable, just about the biggest-tasting beer I've ever had under 6.5%.

A million thanks to my most generous Portland host, msubulldog25, for allowing me access to this can. Thanks a ton Brian! (1,347 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Second session with this beer: May 19, 2009. Along with the impressions from my first meeting with Furious, the maltiness (Scottish?!) gives a flavor somewhere between sun-kist malts and fresh toast. The creamy body lightens at mid-palate for a silky smooth and ultimate refreshing beer. Always a pleasure. Thanks to Arvjunk for the trade!

Good to finally get my hands on this beer. has to be one of the better IPA's out there. The beer begins with a heavily froathy pour that brings on amber and orange colors with a heavy rust undertone. The nose is dominated by juicy, thirst quenching perfumes and citrus notes, all woven into a rich malt pillow --mouth watering to say the least. The flavors are highly devoted to ripe oranges and ruby-red grapefruit centered on medium malt flavors that stop shy of caramel or artificial sweetness. Back up notes of pineapples, peppery esters, and mild alcohols all complement the rich malt body, while adding a lot of complexity. Textures are Marzen-like, but with that influence of citrus hops. Finishes quite clean, juicy, and with a crisp dryness. No problem finding the bottom of this glass. Thanks Nathan15 for sharing. (1,165 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a nonic. Very dark for an IPA, I'm expecting it to be malty. Head is tan and an inch tall. Lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is a blast of resiny, oily hops. Mainly pine, but some floralness too. I get a little sweet breadiness in the background as well.

A blend of sweet caramel malt and pine-filled hops washes over the tongue, leaving behind a pointed hop bitterness that isn't at all unpleasant. Less malty than the color would indicate, but still a nice balance here.

Medium body, sticky and resiny from the hops, but the bitter finish is enticing. (563 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

A-Red brown, hazy appearance. Off-white to tan big head. retains well. Fals very slowly to a 1/4 inch covering that is quite lumpy and attractive. Very attractive lacing.

S-Pine and grapefruit hops right up front. Some bitter greens also emerges and is followed by caramel and biscuit malts.

T-Huge hops all over this one. Green, pine, grapefruit, other citrus. Quite complex hop presence. Caramel and coffee malts in the middle are quickly pushed back by the hops that seem last forever with the long bitter finish.

M-This beer is so hoppy my mouth seems to "buzz" for 5 minutes between sips (when I wait that long). Medium body with a nice firm tingley carboantion. Hops oils coat the mouth. There's that buzz again.

D-this is where this one suffers. I will definitely come back to it time and tiem again, but I can;t have more the one or two at a sitting. (862 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -29.2%

Appearance: Dirty ruby-orange body with lots of carbonation and a head that just won’t quit. The beige crown is exceptionally thick both in dimension and in density. This froth reminds me of a trick a Czech broad taught me years ago when I was staying with her in France. If one could balance a small coin, the pre-Euro Czech equivalent to the dime on the head of a beer for ten seconds, then the beer was good. Well this beer looks like its froth could balance a half dollar for a minute!

Aroma: Pine tree forest soaked in butter toffee. I can smell bitterness to the point where my eyes are watering. Some fruity esters of pineapple and touches of citrus. Pine really dominates.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Painful. Furious is one of the most antagonistic and rancorous beers to have4 ever touched my lips. It hurts to drink. The body is so dry that I started to get a dehydration headache after a few gulps. To make matters worse, it seemed to fry my taste buds so that after the first sip or two I couldn’t really taste the beer, save a vague pine quality and the presence of acrid citrus. Big, huge, bitterness and hop presence but not in a good way for me. I can see why others love this but this is just too bitter and unbalanced for my liking and therefore not drinkable in the slightest.

Thanks to Jeff Krenner for the 4-packs.

Side Note: I had the tea-bagged Furious on cask and liked it much more than the regular. (1,420 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to barefootbrewer for my first can. Pours a murky copper with an almond colored head. Very nice looking in the glass...surprised this came from a can. Smell of faint pink grapefruit and scotch. Taste had a wonderful hop taste, delicately balanced by the malt. Very impressed. Again, faint pink grapefruit hop taste, with a dry semi-bitter finish. Really impressed by this beer...all the accolades seem to hold up. I'd like to line up the Furious next to Hop Rod Rye and Big Hoppy Monster next time... (507 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3%

A: Bold red/amber colored body with a fluffy 1/2 off-white head. The body is crystal clear and looks great when held to the light. This is one of those beers that wears f*ck-me pants.

S: Hops, hops, hops, and malt. The hops have a bunch of pine, citrus, and grapefruit and there is some sweetness from some caramel malt also.

T: The flavor is thick with hops. It is good and bitter with mostly grapefruit but also some pine and grass. The malt just barely pokes it head through yet it is still balanced.

M: This beer is pretty thick for it's color. The hops really weight this down.

D: The bitterness on this is great for 16oz, but it might be a bit much for a couple of them. (680 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

A- Pours a deep reddish brown with a 2 finger head that sticks around for quite a while and leaves a huge amount of lacing.

S- Smells consists of sweet piney hops, orange, citrus, and underlying hints of pear.

T- Taste is citrusy and acidic with a bitter hoppiness at the end. Small hints of pine.

M- Mouthfeel is actually a bit watery but extremely crisp.

D- This is highly drinkable, the fact that its creamy and slightly watery makes it go down easy with the crispness leaving you wanting more. (501 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a deep copper color with a smallish head that retains well and leaves lacing down the glass.

You can smell the hoppy aroma's as soon as the can is cracked open from across the room. It is so strong that is all I smell. Smells like an alpine forest on a rainy morning.

Of course the pine bitterness is the first thing you taste. It almost overpowers everything else but slight citrus notes are present. I would have liked some of the Scottish malt to come through to better balance the beer, or god forbid, less hops.

It leaves a tingly sensation on the tongue and finishes dry. Medium to light body with light carbonation. All the bitterness seem to dull the palate as the beer is drank. Drinking more than one in a sitting would be hard to do and counterproductive in enjoying a hopped up beer. An excellant beer if you like hops. (840 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Served cold from a 16 oz can into Boston Lager glass.

Fantastic pour, rich red mahogany color topped off with fluffy meringue tan head leaving copious lace rings all the way down.

The nose is phenomenal! You've seen brewing personalities in ads rubbing hop cones between their hands and sniffing them? That's what this beer smells like, with an added bonus of nicely balanced caramel aroma. I don't think I've had a beer yet with such fresh hop aroma!

Flavor is big with hop flavor: citrusy, grassy and clean, with a good malt backbone that finishes nice and dry instead of the typically sweet American IPA. Good saltiness on the lips and thorough filling of the mouth with bitterness, and a lovely burnt malt aftertaste on the tongue at the very last. Unfortunately, this beer is best served ice cold, as it warms, it takes on a slight metallic note.

Drinkability is only limited by the heavy yet dry finish. Very delicious brew! Props to Surly Brewing and sincere thanks to Scoobydank for the trade! (1,005 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%

a: a caramel color with about a half inch of head that doesnt dissapear fast leaving a lot of lacing stuck to the side of the glass
s: sweet malty aroma, followed by a strong hop bitter aroma that can be sense from across the room
t: nice malt initially followed by an intensly bitter floral and piny hop flavor that is superb
m: medium to full bodied beer with a little less than average carbonation

overall this is a very nice brew that has an intense hop taste (464 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a reddish brown color, almost purple. Creamy tan head leaves sheets of lace on the glass. Very nice floral scent eminating from this brew, syrupy. Some nice caramel malts get dominated by a killer bitter/floral hop mix. Citrus and pine elements as well. Creamy mouthfeel, the hops stick to your teeth. A hint of alcohol mixed in. A very good beer, try it out. (369 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks to leftmindedrighty for this one

A: Pours a dark caramel color with a moderate frothy head. Lots of lacing.

S: Surprisingly sweet and malty for an IPA with big toffee and caramel flavors. Very little hop aroma, but I'm not minding too much.

T: Toffee and biscuit flavors up front rounded out by a sharp, piney bitterness. Somewhat unbalanced in the finish, and the bitterness quickly numbs the palate and subdues the malty flavors.

M: Quite full-bodied for an IPA with average carbonation.

D: With each sip, the bitterness gets more intense. Although this is by no means a poor beer, it's getting somewhat difficult to drink. The lack of substantial hop aroma or flavor loses points for this one. (710 characters)

Furious from Surly Brewing Company