Microbrew Invitational

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,487 | Ratings: 5,317
4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

Furious indeed...
Pour from 16 oz can to a wine glass. Pour is dark amber. Fully hazed. Fairly large tan head - super lacing.

Nose blows me away - hop soup. Northwest hops come out in full force.

Medium to light mouthfeel upfront - the hops assert quickly. A hint of tea, a blast of grapefruit, flower petals, intense bittering as it flows through. Wow, is this one (furiously) bitter beer. Finish just bites and bites and bites at you.

The malts remain present, although not in a big way and not driving mouthfeel, but still - the malt keeps the hop just in line....for a while.

Yeah, furious indeed.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into an Imperial pint glass. Poured aggressively, resulting in a 2 finger head of rocky foam that lasts quite awhile. Cloudy and dark copper in color, it left great lacing on the glass. HUGE grapefruit nose initially that lasted throughout with a faint bready aroma. There is a pronounced fop flavor with lingering bitterness. A slight 'Tootsie Roll' taste in the background tries to balance out the prodigious hop flavor. The hop bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste. Medium in body, Furious is an outstanding beer that is hard to pick out flaws. I'll have another after I'm done writing and try to find some!

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Pours a murky mahogany in color. Slightly tan head that slowly vanishes to a scattered film. Lace just coats the inside of the glass. Nose is full of dark malts and aromatic and pine hops.

Flavor has a solid, rich base of malts. They really hold up well even with all of the hops. Hops pack a wallop that really send the senses off kilter until I adjusted. Lots of pine and floral hops. Light but all the oils help thicken up the mouthfeel of this beer. Drinkable but my tongue is numbing after only one can.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance - Appears semi-hazy and opaque amber in my half-liter mug. Definitely not the palest IPA I've seen. The head retains very well.

Smell - Grapefruit, lemon and pine with a hint of caramel from the malts. Very aromatic stuff with a big hop presence.

Taste & mouthfeel - Lots of resiny pine flavor from the get-go. Biscuity, caramelly malt makes a brief appearance before being washed out by the powerful bittering hops. Very full-bodied; the malt backbone is big but semi-dry and doesn't get in the way of the impressive hop character. Despite the rather high IBU, this is really pleasant and drinkable stuff; and the hops, while strong, never border on astringent.

Notes - Awesome stuff, one of the best IPAs I've ever had. This IPA can easily rival the best from California.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

16oz can received in trade from mully .. very nice trade if I do say so.. I must try the Raspberry Eisbocks sometime soon.. Tonight Steven and I are sampling the final Furious... Cheers Matt Thanks a bunch... Mine poured into my New Belgium Snifter.

Long lasting pillowy head.. good lacing atop a very hazy amber brew.... Is Furious "Can-conditioned"?

Aroma is big sprucy pine.. quite a bit of caramel and a whaff or two of chocolate. But no doubt this is a very hoppy IPA. A big pale malt component.

Flavor is huge bitter backbone out of the gate.. melds into hoppy spicy and piney/citrus hoppy notes.. good caramel mid palate .. sorta oily hoppiness lingers .. fairly dry finish. Piney and grapefruity.. touches of toffee.. and again a little chocolate. Great body and abundant carbonation. Hugely complex and satisfying.

A complete IPA even for a West Coast palate.. I prefer a little malt with my hops and Furious delivers.

Thanks to mully and again hit me up any time.. I want the Surly.

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a dark ruby amber into my Nonic. Head rises a bit and settles quickly.

Aromas is light and sweet with a light hoppy presence.

Hits the palate smooth and sweet - quickly transitioning into a strongly bitter hops that transitions to dryness all over keeping the bitter to the end.

This one is a bit thin on the mouth but just about right for the brew. Could drink more than a few of these boys.

Thx for the opportunity - pretty good and all but missing something. Maybe it needs something to transition to that bitter edge. It just does not do it all for me.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On cask(I'm pretty certain) at Winterfest 2/8/08 in St. Paul. A 3 oz. pour.

Appearance was a rosy orange, with a nice short head. It didn't last long, but that may have something to do with the fact I was at a beer festival and I had many other beers to try. ;)

Smell was hoppy, with a citrus scent. Taste was much smoother than the regular furious, with a pleasing fruity flavor. Felt pretty good in the mouth. Drinkability was awesome- very smooth, but I did only get around 3 ounces at a time. I like the regular Surly Furious, but I preferred the tea-bagged version over it big time.

Edit: 12-23-08 Had a full glass or two at Darkness day. Review stands.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

1 pint can, contents poured into a Stone OG tulip glass

Appearance is a cloudy deep amber hue with ruby highlights, huge off-white head of craggy foam, thick sticky lacing

Smell is honey sweetened grapefruit, balanced by a fair amount of caramel and bread malts, slight alcohol

Taste is dominated by sweet and sour grapefruit hops that are kept in check by a prominent malt profile of breads, caramel, and roast, finishes dry and malty

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, watery texture with an oily resin coating, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, this is a solid IPA at 6%abv, well-balanced with a surprising malt presence, this definitely has less hops than what we find with SoCal IPAs and it is refreshing to find an example of malts playing nice with hops

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

**Thanks to Hopheed2113 for the trade**

Poured into tulip glass. Rich amber color, hazy with a fluffy & tan, two-finger head. Heav lacing.

Earthy on the nose, carmel/toasty malt followed with a peppery and mild hopiness. Can make out woody and grassy notes with a sour, biscuit backbone.

A very balanced IPA to put it bluntly. The palate makes out some brown sugar inspired malt and finishes with a sweet, lemon zest finish. Creamy mouthfeel with a few hits of crisp carbonation but ends with a gradual bittnerness that leaves the mouth dry.

A nice, well-rounded IPA that provides a little bit of a novelty with the can packaging. This one is very drinkable and the alcohol is hidden well. I love my hop blasts but appreciate the balance in this IPA. Hope I can line up another trade to get some more of this; trade anyone?!

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Scoobydank for this fine beer.Oh wait...
So obviously I have had this beer in all kinds of formats, but I will review the canned version.
L:Thick slightly off whie head. Great maber looking color getting closer to red than anything.
S:Big fat stinky pungent grapefruity hop smell. Just a touch of peach. Very faint roasted malt nutty smell.
T:Big grapefruit up front. Also a very roasty bisquity smell. Just a slight light caramel sweetness. All those firey hops land immediately on the roof of your motuh on first sip.
M:A thick slightly syrupyness with a round warmness.
D:Great. Definitely one of those I need a big beer brews.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

16 ounce can

Looked nice, coppery color, white head, lots of sticky lace.

Smelled hoppy, citrus hops mostly. some malt sweetness in the nose as well.

Taste was a bitter citrus hop flavor which was not balanced much. There is some sweet malt, but definitely a hop heavy IPA.

The mouthfeel was pretty thick and mouth coating with lots of oily hops on the tongue.

This one was easy to drink. Went down easy although I would more prefer a bit of balance I would drink this one all night long if that was an option.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

1pt. can into half pint glass on 1/25/08. Thanks to BA Deuane for sharing.

A - Clear amber/orange body with small, whispy white head and ample carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Lots of grapefruit in the nose. The citrus hops are balanced with some bready and sweet caramel malts, but the aroma is primarily grapefruit.

T - The harsh citrus bitterness overpowers the maltiness. Could use a bit more malt to counter the hop bite. Malt has a burnt, roasted flavor.

M - Medium body with a watery/oily texture. Warm, burnt quality on the tongue. Very long, metallic bitter finish.

D - Not the most drinkable IPA I've had. This one packs a pretty harsh, metallic punch in the face.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this for awhile but just recently joined BA and thought I should review one of my local favorites.

A-Deep dirty red color with a good sized head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a nice amount of lace on the sides.

S-Mmmm, I can almost taste it, definitely high notes of hops but definitely not overkill. Reminds me of being outdoors for some reason.

T-Great blend of bitter hops and woodsy malt.

M-Very nice bitterness that stays with you for a good while after it has gone down.

D-I am indeed a hophead and have no problem calling this one of my session beers.

Overall a really enjoyable IPA that even non hop lovers can appreciate. Keep it up Surly, two years have done you well, I can't begin to imagine what the next two will bring.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

A- poured a pretty cloudy amber almost brown, had a huge fluffy head that slowly faded and left huge lacing.

S- really strong smells of piney citrusy hops

T- very strong hops throughout, starts with a strong hop crisp flavor that somehow gets stronger and more hoppy as it goes on. ends with a nice sticky lingering hop flavor

M- medium body, high carbonation, lingers on the tongue

D- sweet deal

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%

Received in a trade from the very awesome and generous Younger35.

The beer pours a rustic brown with light tan highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head caps this beer off. It left patchy lacing on the sides of the imperial pint glass. You can smell the aromatics coming off of this as you pour the beer. Huge wafts of fresh grapefruit, pine, ripe citrus fruit, toffee and caramel malt scent try to even things out. The first sip brings on huge flavors of fresh grapefruit, fruity esters, and a very dominant malt base. This beer has a bite on it that is approaching double IPA proportions. The hop flavor is in your face, but the biscuity malt reigns it in just right. The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Drinkability is very good on this beer. It isn't the most well balanced IPA, but I like the different take Furious brought to the table.

Thanks for the trade Dan!

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Beer #11 in my 366 Days of Beer Quest, tasted on 1/11. Big thanks to esch for this one! I've heard a lot about this IPA, I'm excited.

A: Pours a dark copper body into a tulip glass. A massive light khaki head forms a soapy mountain w/ great retention, and sticky webs of lacing cling to the glass.

S: Tuck-loads of hops, this is aptly named, wow. A fantastically fresh hop aroma of pine, citrus (orange, red grapefruit) and light floral aromas fill the room. The pure, fresh power of the hops is intense. Yet dark honey and toffee bring it back to a tolerable level.

M: Medium body, med. carbonation which has a nice bite. The M.F. is full and mouth-coating. Nice.

T: Gobs of impressively bitter, piney hops assault the palate with a sticky, oily bitterness. It would be overwhelming if not for the honey-sweet malts and huge fresh biscuit body. Of course it's more hop-focused, yet a balance is still apparent. The finish is long w/ an intense bitterness. Resinous, caramel and grapefruit notes.

D: A beast of an IPA, a hophead's nirvana and so hoppy and tasty I can't help but need more. It needs a VERY spicy curry to bring out it's full potential. Only experienced hopheads apply. A must have.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Big props to Pitmonkey for the chance to drink this one. To begin with I've have heard ghost stories about the bitterness of this beer so I was expecting alot. And boy was I not dissappointed! It pours a beautiful deeply hazed brown/orange topped with a nice little fluffy head. The nose.. well the nose is intense. It smells very big. Like a handfull of Warrior pellet hops. Big and acidic and maybe some amonia too. The taste is way off balanced and I'm not complaining at all. I think there might be a touch of carmel malts, maybe. Who cares let me enjoy my hops. As the beer warms the nose matures more refined spicy piney hops. This beer is so good I would inject this beer into my veins and walk around all day with a drip but I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much. The Mecca for hopheads.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow I popped open the can (thanks MuenchenerKindl ) and the floral aroma just filled the room poured into my pint glass a nice cloudy orange brown with a full two fingers worth of head
The flavors in this one really surprised me it was nicely balance for an IPA the sweetness of the malts start off then the hops, pine, citrus, kicks in
Wonderful mouth feel creamy start, nice and crisp finish. what I want in an IPA
I drink more if I can find more up here in the frozen north. Definitely the best beer I had from a can

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Map Room awhile back side by side with a FFF Alpha King. It really makes the FFF taste like the Pale Ale it is rather than the IPA this is, wheras on its own the FFF always tasted super hoppy to me. This is much more so. Pours a slightly hazy amber with a head that fades to a cap that sticks around and generates some good lacing. Fruity aromas with lots of citrusy hops, including a good dose of pith-like smells. Tastes similar- big and bold with lots of citrusy hops, a lingering bitterness, and a brighter fruit finish with sweet citrus and cherry, and a slight hit of metal right at the end. Mouthfeel is slightly thick but not grainy or sweet. Just delicious and a pleasure to try this. I just wish the distribution were a little wider. Also, I love good beer in cans, so I'm glad they went that route for packaging. I'm sure it must hold up as well that way as on draft.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big 2 finger head with excelletn retention. Cloudy amber color.

Smell is of cascade hops and a little bit of piney hops. Grape undertones come out as well.

Taste: A nice hop bomb with a balancing caramel and pale maltiness. Fruity esters add a layer of complexity. Grape is the most noticeable of these esters.

Nice mouthfeel. Full and slightly creamy.

A very nice ipa that is very sessionable.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

world-class IPA. I really need to get back up there and get some more!

16 oz can.

Appearance...no, wait - as I am smelling this crazy-good beer long before it hits the glass, let's give the aroma the attention it is screaming for! One of my favorite aromas in the beer world. There is no fault to find with this. Caramel and huge citrus blend together in such a ridiculous fashion. Drool-inducing.

as for the appearance, it pours a nicel orange/amber color. Haze is pretty minimal, but I wouldn't call it clear. Off-white head leaves excellent intricate lacing.

Hops are everywhere in the flavor, but manage to show depth as well as strength. There's a lot here! It's bitter, with ample citrus, sweet and bitter on top of caramel...it's delicious. Mouth-watering. Bitterness lingers on the palate, and you ponder opening another against a rapidly dwindling supply.

Goes down extremely easy, but due to supply, ample bitterness, and ABV I'll restrain from a "5" on drinkability. The mouthfeel is nice - just nice - conditioning is usually fine but I've had a bit of variation among my numerous experiences with this beer.

Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

16oz can

Pours a dark reddish amber with a nice 1-2 finger head that fades to a fine bubbly covering that leaves hella lace.

Smells very familiar... is that cascade perhaps? Cascade bomb. Citrus, woodsy pine, some floral hops. Bit of sweet caramel.

Some sweet caramalt thats quickly covered up by extreme hop bitterness. This one's as hop-strong as some brewers Double IPAs. Strong woodsy hop bittering finish.

Soft but still a bit stingy on the tongue.

Hard for me to rate this one overall, its damn good, but soo damn similar to most every other IPA made (just better).

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Pouring from the can (strange to say can with a great bear like this) results in a glorious orange'ish color with a 1" light tan head that fills an english pint glass to perfection. The aroma is of citrus and hops, it makes my mouth water! The first first taste that hits you are the hops, and then the sweetness of the malt creeps in..but not for long, the palate is left with a hop bitter that lasts for a while.

Perhaps the hop linger is a bit much...???

But, I must say it is a fine beer that everyone who likes hops has to at least try once in their life.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Burnt orangeish, medium brown color. Non transparent. Head is 3/4" off white head after a semi conservative pour. Lacing is very sticky all the way down the sides of the glass. Very unique color.

S- Hoppy and sour, but buttery and creamy too. Smells of caramel, chocolate, and smoky malts.

T- Bitter hops, but at the same time is very sweet, buttery and creamy. Malts are very woodsy and smokey. Chocolatey and piney with some spices thrown in; almost cinnamon like.

M- Thick and creamy with mid to high carbonation. Stings the tongue nicely and is very sticky.

D- Very high. Could see myself drinking alot of this if I lived in the Minneapolis area.

Overall- Very good beer. My first Surly offering and I am glad I got to try it. Thanks to a trade from Unclejedi for making this possible. I love the marketing with the can and the design, and I love the fact that they made a different spin on the IPA, stepped out of the box a little, and totally delivered. Very nice!

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Deep red body topped by an off-white head. Aroma is mostly American hops with a bit of malt background. Flavor is strong on hops. Not just bitterness, but nice pine and citrus flavor as well. Also strong malt notes of caramel and toasted malt. Mouthfeel is solid, perhaps a bit too strong on the carbonation. Drinkability is aso good. From the first drink to the last, this reminds me of Arrogant Bastard. Maybe a bit fresher take, but remarkably similar in inspiration.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company