Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,511
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,457 | Hads: 5,121
4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Ok so I am finally able to get my hand on a CAN of this wonderful brew here. Why it took so long to get something, anything from Surly is a mystery to me, but what is even funnier is I ended up with two! So not only did I have one to try, but hopefully, if its good I have one to enjoy as well. So last night I figured it was about time to pop this one open, and had a nice long pur into my Phish glass….

A – Poured a deep dark amber, nice orange hue to it. Lots of visible carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Upon pour a nice, two inch plus head of off white, tannish colored foam formed on top of the glass and had a very good retention to it. In fact, it never really did fade, but rather just shrunk down to a respectable three quarters of an inch and kinda stayed that way throughout the entire session. Great side glass lace, rally thick concentric rings formed all the way down the glass. At the end lots of sediment was visible in the bottom of the glass, which I always take as a good sign. Overall good look going for it here.

S – Aroma was intresting, definite hop tones dominating from the start, notes of citrus as well as a piney sort of smell were both very evident from the beginning. However, there was more to it then that, in fact there was a nice malted back that made up the bulk of the aroma once it started to warm. A good smell of earthen, grassy like, sugary malts layed a nice foundation behind everything and was a welcome treat.

T – The taste was wonderful. To be honest it came off to me as more of a red ale then an IPA, but that is just me. Great first assault of piney like hops. Not extremely bitter, but rather mellow and smooth and just enough to get the ball rolling. A tremdous amount of malt then becomes apparent. Great earthen tones again, and a good use of roasted malts. Nice sweetness, some light candy like sweetness, but primarily a dark, balancing sweetness to it. Great dry finish, lots of hops in the finish, with a somewhat lingering citrus like tone to it. Very well rounded and big. This was definatly a good one.

M – Exceptionally smooth would be the best way to describe this one. It had a great carbonation about it, and it really gave it a very full feel. Thick, almost bringing it into the syrup like category, but stopped well short but copious carbonation that just let it roll on through. Definatly not watered down, as the flavor profile here really does pack quite a punch to it and almost gets a bit overwhelming for something that should be sessionable.

D – Great, low ABV, and great flavor always make for a good combination. This is one of those rare ones that really misleads you in the other direction. It tastes much bigger then it actually is. You would think something with this much flavor and pronounced body would be much much stronger then it actually is. Definatly a good game brew, but I don’t really know how many I would go with in a sitting just do to the huge profile on this. Could get to be a little much, but still an awesome one, that a couple would be easy to do.

Overall very very impressed here. The string of good things from a can continues first of all. But being my first taste of Surly, I am very much impressed. This seems like a definite winner to me and something I would like to have a steady supply of. I would love to see this around locally as it would quickly become a staple of the house. Overall great, really great and it will make me seek out others from them. Just what I was looking for at the time.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to franksnbeans for sending his last extra Furious my way. This beer shall be enjoyed in the memory of the late craft beer great, Michael Jackson.

Poured into my Surly pint glass this beer has a massive amount of foam, up to 3 fingers worth of very light brown foam. The beer itself is a nice dark amber color. The aroma has a big malt profile but the juicy hops are the main characteristic of this beer. Big grapefruit and citrus aromas make me want to dive right into this beer. The taste is similar to the aroma with a very clean mouthfeel and a pleasant bitterness. The Scottish malt, as it states on the back of the can, remind me of a hoppy Scotch Ale like Red Rocket, caramel and sticky sweet. This is truly a “moment of pure hop bliss.” One of the best IPA’s I have been able to enjoy, and the best beer from a can I have ever had. Where are the 24 packs??? Now I understand all the rave about Surly.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

My brother brought me a 4-pack of this from Minneapolis a few weeks back, he's a very appreciated sibling. I first tried some at Dark Lord Day this year, and was looking forward to some full servings. Here goes:

I poured the can (1 pint!) into a pint glass and marvelled at the rich and foamy head. It looked like the yeast cake on a vat of wort, nicely covering the clear bronze liquid at the bottom. The aroma was hoppy and reminiscent of Ruination, surely it uses some of the same hops. The taste is citrucy hoppy (grapefruit juicy) with sweet malty undertones. The mouthfeel was thick and filling, very coating and satisfying. This is an excellent IPA/DIPA, and should be sampled by everyone.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Surly Furious pours pours a stiff finger of tawny foam over a hazy
deep amber brew. The nose is dominated by citrusy hops- always
a good sign in an American IPA. The flavor is big round malt with
a pine and citrus hop finish. As the brew warms the scotch malt
presence gets even fuller- and an appetizing fruitiness wafts from
the glass.. Mouthfeel is round, yet crisp due to all those hops, which
are never overwhelming in spite of the 99 IBU hop presence. An
awesome (and superior) IPA!

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

My Third taste of surly in just a few days. Loved every offering and I was looking forward to this one! From the 16 oz can a dark orange cascading color forms a thick white head that lingers throughout. I was surprised at the creamy head that stuck around through the entire session. Smell is intoxicating with many different smells filling the nose. Piney, Citrus, malt. The taste is a balance of delicious pine, citrus hops with the smooth balance of the hand picked malt from Scotland. I have another favorite IPA now!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got in a trade with Faro - many thanks! Poured from a 1 pint can into my pint glass. The back of the can had a blurb about the beer - did a good job describing the fury within. It was a cloudy reddish-orange with tons of carb bubbling up. It had a good light tan head that settled into a constant film. Heavy lacing. The aroma was hop attack with citric and pine. Could smell a little of the malt in the back but not the buttery toffee that some describe. The taste was also a hop attack. Very piney with a bitter, but not too bitter, aftertaste. It's listed as an AmIPA but I could easily see this as an ADIPA. The mouthfeel was creamy with an all out assault by the hops. Overall, a great beer and glad I got to try it. Only caveat for me is that it is so strong on hops that I'd really need to be in the mood for it before trying again. This is not a beer to just wipe out unless you are prepared for a ton of hop shredding. Highly recommend. (4, RB-OAY, T, Y, MBIM)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a deep ruby orange with a good 3 fingers of ivory head that dies slower than normal and laces nicely. This already looks like a knockout. The smell blows my mind. Yes it smacks you with intense hops but the variety is wonderfully noticable along with very intense citrus. Piney, fresh grass and a hint of malt. This is not your average IPA. The taste makes my lower lip quiver and brings a tear to my eye. So many intense hops, citrus, grapefruit, some awesome malty balance with a bitter finish of perfection. Feels crisp and medium in the mouth wih perfect carbonation and has the drinkibility of an ultimate session beer. This brew smashes the IPA mold, a feat in itself, and opens my eyes to what a great beer is compared to a good beer. Minnesota BA's will be recieving a lot of mail from me in the future. This is a classic.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I got this beer on recommendation from John Dennis of Dennis Brothers Liquors in Cottage Grove, MN. Comes in a 16oz. alumnium can. Pours a deep copper with a great light beige head in my pint glass. Pine hops and more pine hops welcome my nose. Solid malt body with very balanced bitterness. No harshness for 99 IBU's. Finishes with a great hop flourish. Great beer!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to oakbluff for this gem!

Surly Furious
16 oz can
Moderate pour in a shaker
Recent brewing, enjoyed 07/07.

Poured a copper brown with a large rocky fully lasting head.

Smelt of strong pine, resin, spruce and the whole forest of strong hops, pineapple cake, grapefruit, some toasted grain.

Taste was upfront strong bitter piney hops with a moderate sweet toasty malt backbone followed by a harsh bitter resin hops and more of the hops backbone on a lingering resin hops finish.

Palate was medium bodied, oily, lively carbonated, and strongly astringent.

Overall, this is just awesome. Hops galore with a nice malt backbone. Perfect balance. Perfect everything really. Should almost be perfect, but I let my Steel Reserve drinking friend have a sip and he recoiled in disgust. "Too bitter, man! ", he said. So thanks to ballplayin' Jordan and his Steelies it doesn't get a perfect score. I suppose it's a little harsh if you're not used to it. True, it's really harsh and bitter for an IPA. Maybe over the top for some people, but for an experienced hophead this is a nice little treasure.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

A darker colored IPA, more of a dark brownnish/burgundy color with a full, wispy head. Extremely fragrant hop nose, it’s extremely piney and sappy, also a bit medicinal and foresty. Hints of lemon and lime as well come from the sensational aroma. Sweeter and maltier than most IPA’s, but with a lovely, fresh hop flavor. Awfully complex and well brewed. This is deserving of its high score.

A - Deep burnt orange/copper with a thick off white head and tons of sticky lacing.

S - Pine and grapefruit with a hint of caramel in the background.

T - Earthy, citrus, pine and grapefruit hops with a moderate caramel backbone.

M - Medium bodied with just the slightest syrupy hop resin touch.

D - Another bold beer from Surly. These cans could come in very handy.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Ok, so I read all the recent hype about this beer. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about it, so I decided to trade with Scoobydank.

Boy, am I glad I did - thanks a million, man.

Appearance: Great art on a novel pint sized can. It poured a thick, beautiful deep amber with slight haziness. I got very little suds (perhaps 1/8 inch), which quickly fizzled leaving fine strands of lacing all around the walls of my pint glass.

Smell: I immediately got pounded with a wall of hops. After trying to think and sniff beyond the sea of hops, I detected aromatic sweet malts lingering around, as well. Great nose…

Taste: A FANTASTIC blend of tongue-biting, pine-filled hops hit me right off the bat. With an IBU ranking of 99, this is no surprise, but it was so delicately balanced that it left me in awe. This is an outstanding blend of poignant and fragrant hops intertwined with rich, caramel malts, trailing with a piercingly bitter finish. My dream AIPA. I was shocked to see the alcohol percentage was only 6%. It was deceiving, as it had a much harder alcohol presence (like Stone’s Arrogant Bastard). Spectacular tasting, all around…

Mouthfeel: Smooth & resiny, with a dry and bitter finish.

Drinkability: Definitely a world-class American IPA. Strong, bold and balanced all in one. In fact, it took the cake for me, because it was so wonderfully balanced.

I would have given it a perfect 5 on the drinkability, but I know an intensively-hopped beer isn't for everyone...

To me, this is the ideal beer to celebrate milestones in my life or if it was sold in my area, the perfect beer to enjoy when I wanted something special I would be certain to enjoy.

This was a phenomenal beer... For what it’s worth, it will definitely be in my all-time top 5 of all time favorite American IPA’s.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Many thanks to umustdrink for this beer.

A: Pours a deep amber, light brown, with a touch of red-orange. The generous frothy head that develops is dirty white, and settles pretty fast.

S: Very potent sweetness comes out in the forms of citrus and caramel malt. Touch of pine.

T: Bitter on the front, but still starts very bready which quickly turns to bitter pine. Caramel comes in towards the finish but then pine takes over and the lingering bitterness remains after the sip.

M/D: exceptionally smooth, though I don't really like that feel in this style so much. I would like a little more prickly carbonation. The malts almost form a slightly syrupy double IPA type of feel. No doubt this delivers as a nice IPA.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Been wanting to try a beer from these guys since reading the Bros review in BA Mag, and autumnaldave has hooked me up.

Burnt orange colored with a finely bubbled half inch head that settles down a bit, but then hangs around for a good while, and leaves a fine ring of lace around the top of the glass.

Aroma of toffee and citrus hops, a good balance between the malt and the hops.

Flavor is briefly sweet malt, but quickly becomes a wash of hops that run through the range of sweet citrus to tangy grapefruit rind to bitter pine. The hops definitely dominate, but the malt doesn't disappear completely. It subtley rides beneath the hops providing nuances of brown sugar, toasted bread and butterscotch.

Mouthfeel is just a little slick, but the bubbles do tingle the tongue. Very drinkable, this should be a hophead's delight, and for those who like a mix of hops and malt, even better.

Thanks to autumnaldave for sharing this one.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

16oz can received via I Want That BIF from flexabull. Thanks for the opportunity.

Upon opening, can foamed over, then poured into an imperial pint glass, forming a 2" pancake batter tan head over the slightly cloudy orangey amber brew. Head lasts and lasts, with heavy lacing. Aroma is dominated by piney hops. Taste is more of the same resiny hops, but with enough malt underneath to keep it from being cloyingly bitter, if there is such a thing. Mouthfeel and drinkability are just what you would expect from a heartily hoppy American IPA. Nice one here.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Big thanks to umustdrink for this one.

16 oz. can poured into a nonic.

Pours a wonderful somewhat murky amber hue with a full two fingered light khaki colored head that slooowly dies down to a nice lacing that lasts forever. Stickiness is out of control. Smell is a dirty pine dominated aroma with a good scent of grapefruit on the nose. Taste is very mellow, but so good. More citrus is on the tongue than had expected from the scent. Starts off with grapefruit and lemon blended with some mild toffee malt flavors that come out towards the end. Very balanced. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a good amount of carbonation, perfect mix of the two for the American IPA style. Very crisp and clean going down. Gotta love beer in a can, take this baby anywhere bottles aren't allowed, you'll be happy you did.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I’m reviewing this beer twice because I’ve now had it in the can and on draft (draft was definitely better).

A – A clear golden/amber color with a thin but retentive head.

S – Hoppy and fresh with slight malt undertones.

T – Malty with a heavy dose of hops – very nicely balanced.

M – Full and slightly creamy – works well to uphold the flavors.

D – This one is an easy to drink IPA which might make a good session brew.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

I'm beginning to notice that Surly beers are pretty keen on the eyes. The beer is murky amber in color with a gooey eggshell white head. The foam sticks around like nobody's business and leaves some patchy lacing.

Absolutely ripe with piney resinous hops. The kind of smell that sticks to fabrics. The hops have kind of a pissy undertone but I like my beers a little dirty. I'm a little saddened by the lack of caramel malts but I suspect this beer develops as it warms.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Straight up the mouthfeel is a little disappointing. The beer feels watery and slick with hop oils. Oils I don't mind so much, and actually rather enjoy when paired with a rich malt body which this beer seems to be lacking. Hops again take the show, from front to back it's piney bitter hops. The malt makes a brief appearance mid drink but it's quickly quelled by thick hop character. The beer finishes with, surprise, more hops and they crawl long in to the finish. This is arguably the most directly hoppy American IPA I've had. Perhaps this should be a fault, but I'll allow some hop head bias on this review ; )

Again, it's that ugly drinkability bias that I dump on my reviews. I could drink IPA all day long, especially good and hoppy IPA. No qualms here for me.

Bottom Line:
The icing on the Surly cake, mmm surly cake...

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

This is a pretty good beer from a can. The best I've had since Dale's.

Pours a dark, burnt amber color, with a thick, two fingered white head. Very nice lacing left on the glass (yes, I poured it out the can into a glass).

Strong aromas of citrusy, floral hops and sweet caramel malt.

Taste is sharp and very bitter. Reminds me of Arrogant Bastard.

Very sharp, crisp but easy drinking.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Acquired via trade from ClockWorkOrange, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 16oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish brown color with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very fruity with a heavy background of floral hops and caramelized malt.

T: The taste is very-well balanced but the grassy hops is clearly the more dominant flavor as it should be, with very complimentary flavors of caramel & citrus evening things out. The malt character is hearty but not too thick. The after-taste is full of hops bitterness.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a perfect beer to stick with for an evening especially if you’re a hophead.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

The beer pours a hazy dark amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is excellent. It has a nice malt scent that boasts of pale, special roast, and bisquit malts along with a hell of a hop aroma that really blends well with the malts; well rounded. The taste is great! This is one hoppy beer. It starts off bitter, but balanced with the malts provided and then just explodes with hops in the finish. It's quite intense and leaves a residual hop taste in my mouth several minutes later. This is a true hop lovers beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good beer. It's deceptively drinkable with loads of hop character.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to grassrootsVT for this treat. And thanks to the chain of beer traders who put this gem in his hands originally.

Appearance: Poured from a 16 oz can into a Sam Smith pint glass. The can design is cool, contemporary and bold. The color is deep copper with subtle orange edging. Clear with tight carbonation that renders a thick finger-thick head that settles into a persistent cover. Very little lacing. Some sediment in the bottom of the glass; clear but not completely free of extras, which is ok.

Aroma: Beautiful nose. Good resinous, piney, tart aromas with some additional fruity hopping - is that Nelson? There's some slight pineapple and grapefruit underneath that provide a nice transition between the high notes of the big American hops with a solid malt base.

Taste: Malt up front with sweet fruit notes dominant - pear, grapefruit. Moves to bolder pine flavor in the middle, but keeping that solid maltiness throughout. Finishes dry and bitter, crisp and fresh - Aftertaste lingers and grows into more pronounced bitterness.

Mouth: Leaves your mouth dry but with a somewhat coated feeling. There's a thickness to this beer, from the head down to the last swallow, but it comes through as clean and not as too much alcohol. Full flavor matched by a full body. This is somewhere between a single and double IPA.

Notes/Drinkabilty: I dig the 16 oz can. It provides just enough MORE beer without offering up too much to finish. The can also makes the simple fact of acquiring and drinking this beer a bit easier, so a plus for drinkability. For the moderate to serious hop heads this should suffice and provide enough juice to tempt more tastes. I am not one of those types and I'd still love to have a few more.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to non BA Bob for bringing this north.

A nice looking IPA, but a touch on the dark side with its clear ruby tinted amber body. Nice one finger light tan coloured head formed while transferring from the can to my glass. Mildly carbonated and well laced with fluffy little coulds of lacing that stick to the inside of my glass.

Grapefruit and caramel with underpinnings of toffee and cocoa powder. Ruby red grapefruit juice with its sweet and fruity floral bitterness.

Theres a lot of hops in here, but the malts stand up surprisingly well. Grapefruit morphs into pine then a grassiness appears, opening enough of a window to allow the malts to finally assert themselves and reveal their toasty and mildly nutty character with a good amount of caramel and lesser hints of toffee and cocoa powder.

A medium bodied brew with a substantial hop blast that is backed up by an almost equally muscular malt backbone. Hops resinousness almost obliterates the toasty and nutty qualities of the malts and provide just enough of an edge for the caramel to muscle its way onto the palate, followed by the touch of cocoa powder.

Pretty damn drinkable for its 99IBUs and it medium body. Try it if you like your IPAs or are looking to strip your mouth with tasty hop resins. An all around excellent IPA, from its looks, to its strong hop profile, and its solid and delicious malt bill. Believe the hype!

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

I was a little skeptical about it coming from a can, but the sticky sweet smell emanating from the popped top was enough to open my mind.
The pour is heavenly. A thick, luxurious head sits atop a beautiful deep, red-rust colored body!
The smell in the glass is even sweeter, with obvious caramel and pineapple. What a combination! What a country!
Taste is Citrus and Carmel as advertised! Oooh it's grapefruity, too! Perfectly balanced with fresh, full hoppiness!
Full feel that gets better and better as it warms. Puckering hops until then.
Drinkability is out-of-this-world. It's too good, really. Dangerously good.
This is my favorite!

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A: A murky, rusty dark amber with a thin, dissipating ivory head.
S: Strong, possibly dry-hopped nose; pine and citrus notes with an underlying malty sweetness of honey.
T: Roasty bitterness up front, coffee and toffee notes; the initial bitterness gives way to an immense fruity sweetness of lemon and honey; the bitterness comes back in the finish, with grapefruit rind predominating and a hint of juniper. The bitterness lingers long after you've swallowed.
M: Medium body, slightly creamy, moderate carbonation.
D: It's light, and at 6% ABV it won't put you down too quickly, but the complexity and bitterness keep this from being something I'd drink more than one can of in a session.

Overall: Unlike most BA's, I'm not a hophead, so I'm reviewing out of my comfort zone, style-wise. Fortunately, this beer offers much to appreciate beyond its IBUs. The roastiness and sweetness of the beer intermingle with the predominant bitterness to render this a wonderfully complex brew.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company