Follow our progress ...

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,490 | Ratings: 5,346
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Sampled from a fresh keg.

Pint arrives with an orange tinted 1/2" cap of foam on it. The body is a deep reddish orange, with sticky sheets of lacing. Very earthy aroma, herbal and resinous, with a whiff of pale malt. Fruity hoppiness is missing here.

Huge 100 IBU level is felt immediately in the first sip, it packs a wallop. There is a hearty malt component, and a vague hint of tangerine. Bitterness rises and ebbs in the finish, with a long, dry decline. Herbal, somewhat piney, not as much fruit as one might expect. It has a sturdy feel, with a good level of carbonation. The high IBUs might discourage rainy-day IPA drinkers, but this is a godsend to hopheads.

It was very easy to finish the pint, and i'll be watching for Surly on tap around Chicago. For now i'll be content with Three Floyds for my hop fix...

2008 edit: After drinking this a dozen times at different places, i'm enjoying it alot. Aroma and vibrancy in taste can vary due to freshness, but overall it's a solid IPA every time.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Fiery golden-orange-red with a dense light tan head.

Smell: A big blast of hops.

Taste: Solid hop flavor. Bitterness levels seem to evolve throughout the brew allowing the malt foundation to show through. Very flavorful and well crafted.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very dry.

Drinkability: Aggressively hopped but a very drinkable brew.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Acquired a 4-pack thanks to a friend who happened to be in Minneapolis for a day. Thanks also go to Chaz and other BAs who told me where he could pick it up. Poured a can into my Duvel tulip

A: A deep and clear ruby red. Massive, billowing head that recedes, leaving an intricate lace.

S: I could smell this a foot away. It smells *excellent*. Highly hopped but surprisingly floral, given how dark it is (for an IPA). Pine's in there too. While there's a touch of malt sweetness with a candied citrus sweetness, this is all hops, bright citrus (grapefruit and blood orange)

T: Big hop bitterness, not as sweet as the nose suggests. Starts out smooth and the finish is mildly resiny hoppy. Delicious! It reminds me of the first time i had an IPA - the bitterness is incredible and very much in the forefront. Medium-bodied and fairly well balanced. Did i mention hoppy enough to leave your insides coated as you drink it? As far as flavors go, it opens with a big pine needle and grapefruit bitterness, well balanced with some hop flavor as well, a touch of juicy fruit. Malt character is present with a light flavor, but low sweetness, this is pretty dry.

M: One of the smoothest IPAs i've had. Incredibly soft and creamy on the mouth - think souffle/parfait soft.

D: Would i drink another? Yes! Should I? Not if i have to drive any time soon.

An excellent IPA, worth seeking out. Possibly not my favorite - I'd have to drink more of the Stone and Bell's to find out for sure but definitely something i wished i could get more often.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a hazy amber. Pretty opaque stuff, can't really see through it. Attractive with an inch or so head that quickly settles down.

Smell, and taste is surprisingly floral and sweet (it's actually a ferociously bitter beer, but given the reviews I wasn't expected any balance; let alone this much). The hops give it a grapefruit/pine complexion.

One of the better IPAs I've had. Shame I won't come across this more often.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

I've been drinking this stuff for well over a year - don't know why it's taken me this long to review it....

It pours a brown/orangish amber color. One to two fingers of fluffy off-white foam that is very slow to dissipate but leaves a wonderful lace on the glass as it does so. Color is opaque.

I don't know if I've ever smelled a hoppy IPA that fills my nostrils with such heavenly aromas as this beer. While the resiny hops are upfront and forward on the nose, other flavors come out - a bit of bready yeast, caramel malt tones and citrus/floral notes as well. Just the smell of this beer gets your salivary glands flowing.

As with the aroma, the taste is big-time resinous hops as soon as the beer hits your tongue. It has the bitterness (without being numbing) that all good quality IPAs should have. But..as the hop-forward flavor of the beer recedes, a smoothness comes out with s very nice toasted maltiness to add balance on the back end. A touch of sweetness also comes out in the flavor. This just leaves a very well-rounded, balanced taste to linger.

On the tongue, this is a bolder, bigger-bodied IPA than most other beers of this style - it can probably rival many Double IPAs. Not very carbonated which helps the drinkability of the beer. Even though the body of this beer is bold it does not seem heavy on the tongue.

Very drinkable beer that have a high enough ABV that it can sneak up on you. This beer can rival any of the big, hoppy Northwest IPAs I had the pleasure of drinking while living in the Pacific NW. Kudos to the folks at Surly for brewing such a wonderful beer!

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to leftmindedrighty for this very sought-after beer. I loved Bender and can't wait for my first taste of Furious.

APPEARANCE: Pours a darker amber into a British-style pub glass. Very surprisingly to me is incredibly hazy with no seeing through it at all. The head starts out a decent height and drops to a solid full surface coating. Lacing covers all sides of the glass in spotty patches.

SMELL: This smells great! The hops are very up-front and are citrusy and slightly floral. They also give just the slightest resinous sweetness. But the malt balances it out fantastically, specifically the very toasted character to it. It's just a perfect pairing.

TASTE: It starts out as all hops and plenty of them. Citrusy and mouth-numbingly bitter... in a good way. The toasted comes on very smoothly as does a resiny sweetness. The finish, though, is stunningly clean and leaves just a fleeting reminder of the amazing beer you just drank.

MOUTHFEEL: It's bigger bodied than most IPAs but still light enough to drink. Carbonation is at average levels and seems appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: It's quite smooth and really delicious, but the beer is held up only a bit by the intense bitterness it has going along with the intense flavor and aroma. Still, this beer is awesome and I'd drink it every day.

Man, Surly is great and Furious is a huge reason why. I need to find a way to get more of this.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

an easy pour with a nice dark golden reddish hue.

the smell is fantastic sweet very floral and an under tone of citrus.

taste strong pungent hops, not the taste that matches the smell at all.

it has a soft full mouth feel.

goes down smooth with last night dinner of wings and tots.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

16 ounce can acquired in a trade with scoobydank, thanks a lot for this great beer from Surly, I wish I had more

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a reddish brown color and an off white head that was about 3/4 inch, left lacing up until the very last sip forty minutes later, the beer was a lot darker than I was expecting, figured it would be gold like most other IPAs I drink

Smell was the only thing was not perfect to me, mainly because the pine and citrus aromas dominated it even though they smelled very good, it just was not as complex as it could have been

Taste was very good, nice piney hops attack the tastebuds immediately, fades into an orange and lemony taste, followed by a dry finish, towards the end once the beer started to warm, I began tasting some caramel and toffee hints which made this taste even better than it was cold right out of the refrigerator, extremely hoppy IPA and I could not ask for much more

Could drink this all day and night, fantastic beer that is not heavy at all and keeps you coming back for more and more, the alcohol content is not too high either, so I could drink a four pack of these any day of the week

Highly recommended, add another beer to list to prove that craft beer out of a can is just as good or better than out of a bottle, another winner from Surly, I need them to can Darkness soon though, grab this if you can, it is definitely worth trading for if you dont have access to it normally

This beer amazed me with how good it was and exceeded every expectation I had for it, I am surprised it is not higher on the Best of Beer Advocate list, it belongs in the top twenty in my opinion

Pours brown with orange highlights and a thick khaki colored head. Citrusy hop aroma with sweet malt, caramel and toffee. The mouthfeel is medium-to-full-bodied and soft. Furious is malty and hoppy. Unique IPA simply for the different malts that were used. The taste is hoppy and citrusy upfront. There's a nice caramel maltiness midway that gives way to a piney bitterness. Scottish malts add an great touch to it and provide a feint peatiness to the finish.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Hand delivered from MN

Pours out a deep brownish red color. Nice thick head forms. Tons of hop aroma. Nice pine and citrus. Taste is all hops. I have tasted some hoppy beers, but this one might take the cake. For all the hops it is not too bitter, which is amazing. The finish was plenty bitter but not on the upfront palate. This is a really great beer with a ton of wonderful flavor. It isn't a highly drinkable beer, but that is what they are going for.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

franksnbeans sent this one over along with a bottle of peche mortel, man what a trade.

A: Pours a nice deep red color with a huge frothy foamy head. The head is a true warrior and hangs around for quite a long time. As I slammed down drink after drink it left behind sheets, and I do mean SHEETS of lacing.

S: I can tell before even taking a drink this is a very aggressive brew. The aromas are big and bold. Its hop madness times 3. Hops dominate here with citrus playing a big roll. I detect tons of ruby red grapefruit along with the acidity of lemon zest. The malt is present though and comes thru in undertones of caramel and coffee. I proclaim before even taking a drink this is going to be a great one.

T: Who’s Your Daddy! This one has come to play. Wow the flavors abound. Immediately you are assaulted by bitter citric hops which assault your tongue and throat. My mouth and tongue is thoroughly coated by this gem of a beer. The coating of the mouth reveals a true chameleon of a beer. Waves of flavor pass by the taste buds so fast that the brain has trouble processing them. Deep pine resin reminiscent of pine tar comes on strong. A mild sweetness then overtakes you. I would describe the sweetness as a marriage between nutty toffee, and browned butter. It really smoothes this one out a bit. As the brew hits the bottom of my throat all taste subsides except for a nice hop bitterness that seems to last and last.

M: This is a full bodied brew that is nice and thick.

D: So drinkable. I only had one can, but have objectivemonkey sending me more. No doubt if I had access to this one my fridge would stay full and I would be a very happy man. This beer alone would make a trip to Minnesota in the dead of winter a good idea.

All hail a true craft beer in a can! I have heard it described as liquid crack, and I have to agree. Can someone pass the pipe, I need another hit!

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer pours a surprisingly slightly dark reddish brown color. It boasts a thick, fluffy light tan head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a huge lacing.

This beer has a great hoppy aroma. It smells very floral and citrusy. I detect some grapefruit, and lemon aromas. The aroma is powerfull. It dominates the beer. It is not overbearing, but it lets you know you are drinking an IPA.

This beer tastes very citrusy. Mostly some grapefruit, but some lemon and even a little orange flavors are present. It has a slightly oily pine hop flavor.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. I leaves a, you guessed it, citrusy aftertaste. Carbonation is just right.

This beer would make a good session beer. It is not too high in alcohol, and it tastes good.

Overall: Thanks Faro for this great beer. I have been looking forward to trying this beer. Also, I have been looking forward to trying a craft beer in a can. I know there is nothing wrong with cans, but as a force of habit, it is hard to take a canned beer seriously. This beer is all the proof I need to know that my previous thoughts were wrong.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a dark brownish copper color with a small white head. Left very little lacing.

The nose is very much all citrus. Grapefruit and lemony mostly.

Taste is grapefruit and grassy. A little bit of pine in the finish and it is incredibly crisp and smooth. Not harsh at all.

Medium bodied and it is very refreshing. I looked forward to each sip after sip. Im going to need to make a trade to get some of these in cans.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Sampled through the efforts of Imstillthegman and 1000 Miles (or East/West again) BIF.

A clear brown colored beer with a light brown colored head, among the darkest AIPAs I have ever seen.

Extremely fragrant beer hops leap out and grab your nose from across the room lots of pine and citrus. A close sniff reveals a considerable malt character as well, chocolate and a little cake with some caramel. Pineapple, mango, menthol and pine resin grips the nose most tightly. Considerable wood, tea and coffee scents are in this too I can say it is the most complex scented AIPA yet.

The taste starts out a little sweet and a little bitter at the beginning with a very dry woody after taste. The interplay of the sweet and bitter here reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard that I drink often and this could as easily be considered a Strong Ale. Chocolate and coffee peak out around the corners from time to time here but this is mostly a strong and bitter beer.

The mouthfeel is quite full.

Drinkable in the same way that Stone Arrogant Bastard is and it will take more than one can to really determine this. This is a strong beer without a doubt. The thing that strikes me the most about this beer is the fact that if you handed me the glass without seeing the can I would swear on the Bible that this was in fact a glass of Stone Arrogant Bastard, right down to the color of it.

Had this can waiting for me on my porch after a long bike ride. I knew it was a package from vjslow and I expected it to contain Alpha Kong and 120 Minute IPA, the agreed upon trade. I find both of the afore mentioned beers plus a Seven Mules Kick-Ass Ale and 2, yes 2!, cans of Surly Furious. I have never had the beer, but I hear it is pretty good. Oh yes, it is very good, quite remarkable in fact. Easily the best beer I have ever had from a can, and possibly the best beer I have ever had, period.
Appearance Dark ruby red, with thn white head that dissipates down into a tiny ring that stays with the beer till the end.
Smell was very florally hoppy. You can actually smell the bitterness the beer contains
Taste is phenomenal. Bitter and aggressive, yet incredibly balanced. The hops kind of burn your tongue, but the beer is also slightly sweet which helps
Mouthfeel is quite rich. The oily hops coat your mouth and actually caused me to salivate. A sticky resin stays in my throat until I take another sip.
Drinkability again is superior. If only one beer could be produced as the national craft beer of America, Surly's Furious would make a strong bid.
Absolutely incredible beer. I was blown away and definitely did not expect it to be this good. Again, a big thanks to vj2slow.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Sigh. This is what an IPA should be. Period. This and Dreadnaught. The others are just posers. It's like squeezing the oil out of a bushel of hops and injecting it directly into your veins. My god. Yet the bitterness is juuust barely balanced with some thick malty sweetness. It's not one dimensional like Ruination. I like Ruination, but i like the subtle balance of Furious better.

I'm a little worried about this beer with the impending hop shortage i've heard so much about lately. The amount of hops that go into this beer must be off the charts. If they can still get all the hops they need for this a few months from now, surely the price will go up noticeably.

Man. Fantastic stuff.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours a deep hazy copper with a finger's worth of foam. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Hoppy, but not overpoweringly so. There's a nice balance evident in the smell, as some of the sweetness from the malt mixes with the citrus of the hops.

T: Damn. This is a tasty IPA. The hops are full of citrus flavors, with a bit of earthiness that's brought out by the malt. A nice caramel sweetness balances it out well, creating a wonderfully balanced IPA.

M: Smooth with a nice crisp carbonation.

D: I wish I could get this in MA regularly! I'd long given up on beers that come in cans, but after seeing this in the top 100, I figured I had to give it a try. And damn, was it worth it. This is a really well-made and very drinkable IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark amber color with a sturdy head that leaves shards of lace

Smell: Pineapple and pine; grapefruit pith, too

Taste: Starts with an incredibly fruity blend of pineapple, tangerine and grapefruit that, after the swallow, becomes quite pithy and slightly herbal, with the caramel malt elements also coming into play

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Just a classic IPA for those who like their beers fruity and bitter

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

16oz can, my first surly beer not consumed at the great taste of the midwest - thanks nchrist13

appearance: well - its in a can. I must admit that this is a pretty cool novelty and it would be pretty killer to drink this stuff from the can at various social events. anyways, the beer is hazy as hell with a glowing ruby body...thick foamy beige head with great lacing.

smell: i took a whiff immediately after cracking this one open and the hop punch knocked me against the cabinets...upon further examination the nose is nearly perfect with an overpowering citrus and pine hop burst...tropical fruit also present and adding a nice sweet touch

taste: strong pine bitterness, huge citrus hops - sugar covered grapefruit, sweet tropical fruit punch, great caramel malt in the background...just a great IPA

mouthfeel: strong hop bite, high bitterness

drinkability: mmm

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

This can sat outside the fridge for about 20 minutes, and once opened it exploded, resulting in froth all over the kitchen floor (not even my own kitchen floor, but all over msubulldog25's...yeah, I felt bad). After a bit of mopping up, the head pours soapy and sticky and huge, with voluminous lace forming as it drops. The color is a hazy caramel-copper.

The huge caramel notes in the aroma threaten to overshadow the hops, and everything mingles quite nicely, with hops leaning on the piney side.

When people think "IPA", hops come to mind first and foremost. But it seems the best IPAs are just as impressive for malt profile and the balance it contributes (I'm thinking Two-Hearted and S.N.'s 2007 Anniversary offering). Furious is one of these, with creamy, caramel/toffee maltiness clinging to piney, west-coast style hoppiness. Finishes with a grassy/citrus ping, and the mouthfeel is round and creamy, while ending dry and even a bit rough. It's a killer...a big-beer lover's IPA for sure...huge-tasting without the huge ABV. Nice.

Less hop-centered and more seriously malty-big than many other IPAs, but certainly well-balanced. Superbly drinkable, just about the biggest-tasting beer I've ever had under 6.5%.

A million thanks to my most generous Portland host, msubulldog25, for allowing me access to this can. Thanks a ton Brian!

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Second session with this beer: May 19, 2009. Along with the impressions from my first meeting with Furious, the maltiness (Scottish?!) gives a flavor somewhere between sun-kist malts and fresh toast. The creamy body lightens at mid-palate for a silky smooth and ultimate refreshing beer. Always a pleasure. Thanks to Arvjunk for the trade!

Good to finally get my hands on this beer. has to be one of the better IPA's out there. The beer begins with a heavily froathy pour that brings on amber and orange colors with a heavy rust undertone. The nose is dominated by juicy, thirst quenching perfumes and citrus notes, all woven into a rich malt pillow --mouth watering to say the least. The flavors are highly devoted to ripe oranges and ruby-red grapefruit centered on medium malt flavors that stop shy of caramel or artificial sweetness. Back up notes of pineapples, peppery esters, and mild alcohols all complement the rich malt body, while adding a lot of complexity. Textures are Marzen-like, but with that influence of citrus hops. Finishes quite clean, juicy, and with a crisp dryness. No problem finding the bottom of this glass. Thanks Nathan15 for sharing.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a nonic. Very dark for an IPA, I'm expecting it to be malty. Head is tan and an inch tall. Lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is a blast of resiny, oily hops. Mainly pine, but some floralness too. I get a little sweet breadiness in the background as well.

A blend of sweet caramel malt and pine-filled hops washes over the tongue, leaving behind a pointed hop bitterness that isn't at all unpleasant. Less malty than the color would indicate, but still a nice balance here.

Medium body, sticky and resiny from the hops, but the bitter finish is enticing.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

A-Red brown, hazy appearance. Off-white to tan big head. retains well. Fals very slowly to a 1/4 inch covering that is quite lumpy and attractive. Very attractive lacing.

S-Pine and grapefruit hops right up front. Some bitter greens also emerges and is followed by caramel and biscuit malts.

T-Huge hops all over this one. Green, pine, grapefruit, other citrus. Quite complex hop presence. Caramel and coffee malts in the middle are quickly pushed back by the hops that seem last forever with the long bitter finish.

M-This beer is so hoppy my mouth seems to "buzz" for 5 minutes between sips (when I wait that long). Medium body with a nice firm tingley carboantion. Hops oils coat the mouth. There's that buzz again.

D-this is where this one suffers. I will definitely come back to it time and tiem again, but I can;t have more the one or two at a sitting.

3.06/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance: Dirty ruby-orange body with lots of carbonation and a head that just won’t quit. The beige crown is exceptionally thick both in dimension and in density. This froth reminds me of a trick a Czech broad taught me years ago when I was staying with her in France. If one could balance a small coin, the pre-Euro Czech equivalent to the dime on the head of a beer for ten seconds, then the beer was good. Well this beer looks like its froth could balance a half dollar for a minute!

Aroma: Pine tree forest soaked in butter toffee. I can smell bitterness to the point where my eyes are watering. Some fruity esters of pineapple and touches of citrus. Pine really dominates.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Painful. Furious is one of the most antagonistic and rancorous beers to have4 ever touched my lips. It hurts to drink. The body is so dry that I started to get a dehydration headache after a few gulps. To make matters worse, it seemed to fry my taste buds so that after the first sip or two I couldn’t really taste the beer, save a vague pine quality and the presence of acrid citrus. Big, huge, bitterness and hop presence but not in a good way for me. I can see why others love this but this is just too bitter and unbalanced for my liking and therefore not drinkable in the slightest.

Thanks to Jeff Krenner for the 4-packs.

Side Note: I had the tea-bagged Furious on cask and liked it much more than the regular.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to barefootbrewer for my first can. Pours a murky copper with an almond colored head. Very nice looking in the glass...surprised this came from a can. Smell of faint pink grapefruit and scotch. Taste had a wonderful hop taste, delicately balanced by the malt. Very impressed. Again, faint pink grapefruit hop taste, with a dry semi-bitter finish. Really impressed by this beer...all the accolades seem to hold up. I'd like to line up the Furious next to Hop Rod Rye and Big Hoppy Monster next time...

Furious from Surly Brewing Company