Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,414
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
beesy

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 16oz can into a standard pint glass. Thanks Tom for sending it.

A - pours a slightly hazy medium orange hue. An agressive pour provides 3 fingers of medium-light khaki colored head that provides a good amount of lacing.

S - hoppy, citrus, piney, earthly, sharp, alcohol

T - very hoppy. Loaded with ctirus hops with some pine present more on the tail end. Slighyl earthy and grassy profiles. Some grapefruit shows up later on as well. Slightly grainy. I think the can is starting to head south and I'm glad I popped it when I did. A big, firm bitterness that is slightly fruity and piney finishes things up.

M - lighter bodied.

D - fairly easy to drink considered the IBUs.

Overall, a fantastic beer that is heavy on the hops and bitterness. Being lighter bodied makes this one easy to drink down. I think the can was just starting to turn as I picked up on some of the fruity off flavors hoppy beers seem to throw out as they start to age a little.

10-10-2012 01:21:21 | More by beesy
Knapp85

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Review #2500: This beer poured out much darker than I expected. It has a deep orange color, almost red. The head was a light tan color and decent sized. The smell of the beer is malty and sweet. There is a pleasent floral hop aroma. The taste of the beer is nicely balanced, there is a sweet malt flavor that has a moderate hop finish. The mouthfeel is clean and a little oily. The carbonation is crisp and sharp. Overall this beer is really good, looking forward to drinking the others I have.

10-09-2012 23:09:57 | More by Knapp85

10-07-2012 01:21:48 | More by valdieu2
JamesMN

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Canned on 9/17/12.

I'd like to preface this review by saying I live in the Twin Cities and have access to this beer at any time. I haven't had it for over four months and tend to think it's overhyped. This is the first time I've had it since joining and reviewing beers on BA.

Appearance: Dark copper/amber hue with decent clarity. One finger light tan foamy head.

Aroma: I opened the can and counted the seconds until the aroma reached my nose. It took less than five seconds to make it the foot and a half (I've seen the recipe and they dry hop it like crazy!). Floral hop profile with some malt behind it. It's a very pleasant and robust aroma.

Taste: This is an optimally balanced IPA. The malt flavor is that of an amber or red ale and it is robust enough to stand behind the hops. Oh yes, the hops. Great balance between East Coast piney flavor with that West Coast grapefruit and floral character. It starts almost sweet, full of the hop flavor and then finishes with hop bitterness. You are left with a taste not unlike the way a pine tree smells (which is good). At 6.2% abv you aren't tasting any of that and it's actually surprising how much flavor is packed into that amount of alcohol. You do, however, get a nice warming sensation from the beer. It's also a decently juicy IPA (which is not a term I get to use that often). My one issue with it is that the 99 IBUs listed on the can are no where to be found in the flavor. I'd say realistically it's closer to 50 or 60 IBUs. All that being said, this is a perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and a bit more than medium bodied. Highly drinkable.

Final Thoughts: I can't believe I waited so long to have this one again (over four months). Even with all the hype, the beer speaks for itself. It may not be the best IPA on the planet but it'll give any American IPA a run for its money. Is it possible we've also found a new style: Midwest IPA? I think so. Would I drink it again? Again and again, perfect warmer for the long Minnesota winter.

10-07-2012 01:13:19 | More by JamesMN
nrs207

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Split a can with Hophead717. Thanks for letting me finally try this.

A - Nice amber color with an off-white frothy head of about a finger.

S - Not nearly what I expected. Some pine, citrus, but pretty muted on the hops. This was a fresh can (around a week old), so I was pretty surprised by this. This thing is a malt bomb somehow. I believe it advertises Scottish malt or something on the can, and you definitely get that a lot. Some malty sweetness, breadiness, etc. More of an amber than an IPA.

T - Follows the nose. Big letdown for a 99 IBU IPA. Not sure why this gets so much praise.

M - No alcohol, pretty smooth with a moderate carbonation and medium body.

O - Was expecting something else. Definitely not expecting what I found to be a knockoff of Troegs Nugget Nectar (which I don't love all that much either). The malt they used really wastes all those hops imo. This isn't bad if you're into English style IPAs or hoppy ambers, but that's not what I was anticipating or desired. Wouldn't buy if the opportunity presented itself.

10-06-2012 23:10:18 | More by nrs207
Piason

10-06-2012 19:42:14 | More by Piason
cfrances33

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Can thanks to yamar68. A long time want! Poured into an HF tulip.

Pour: Clear amber with finger and half of off white head. Leaves really nice lacing, and the head forms a nice film on the body.

Smell: Caramel sweetness, a nice resinous pine, and some tangerine in the back. This is really malt forward on the nose.

Taste: Follows the nose. Lots of caramel sweetness with a substantial bitterness, that gives way to pine and citrus. Really nice, but not what I was hoping for or what I'd even expect from an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Really, really juicy, despite the substantial malt bill on the taste. Pretty darn drinkable. The best aspect of this beer for sure.

Overall: Not what I was hoping for from Furious, so I confess myself disappointed, but still a tasty experience nonetheless.

10-06-2012 18:54:09 | More by cfrances33

District of Columbia

10-04-2012 12:35:48 | More by bpgpitt10
Powderhornphil

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

This has long been my go-to beer. Can't believe I am only just reviewing it.

This beer pours a copperish red. Not your typical AIPA. There is a white head that leaves light lacing.

I have always loved the way this beer smells. One of the most piney brews I have smelled. Really amazing smell.

Taste is pine followed closly by carmel malt. There is also light citrus. I can drink this beer all day. All the bitterness is balanced by a toffee sweetness.

There is a full mouthfeel. Light carbonation.

Overall, one of my first craft beer loves so maybe I am biased but I never tire of Furious.. Absolutely a world class, style bending beer.

10-04-2012 03:00:48 | More by Powderhornphil

10-02-2012 23:29:19 | More by ssimpson89
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 16 oz can into Cheers drinking mug. Served chilled...

A) Nice amber with good clarity. This had a finger of nice creamy, slightly off white head. This settled to a dusting. Very nice lacing.

S) Lighter citrus, pine, and some flower petal. There is a pleasing caramel sweetness to this as well. Very nice...

T) I expected bitterness, but really, I found this to have nice balance. These flavors really mingle well together. Hints of pineapple, and light caramel sweetness. Then some citrus, which brings a fair amount of zest. Finishes piney/grassy. Nice aftertaste.

M) Medium body and well carbonated. Drinks very nice... Quite a refreshing brew...

O) This beer is the real deal. Glad to recommend this brew.

10-02-2012 01:36:31 | More by RoamingGnome
Justin_Neff

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a dark reddish coppery color. Teetering on almost a brown color. Not a lot of head but leaves a thin lacey ring around the edge of the beer.

S: Strong hoppy aroma. Definite hints of citrus.. Lemon, Grapefruit, and piney with grassy smell. Floral. Pure awesomeness. Perfect.

T: Tastes exactly how you expect from the smell. Well balance hoppiness without a strong sugary malty flavor. Starts very citrusy, and Grassy and piney tastes linger during the finish, as the smell would suggest. This is exactly what I want an IPA to taste like.

M: Pretty light bodied with a higher than normal carbonation for an IPA.

O: I have very little else to say other than this is phenomenal. A great first Surly experience.

10-02-2012 00:22:50 | More by Justin_Neff