Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,456
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

My cousin hooked me up with two 16oz cans of this beer on my last visit to the midwest. I already drank one of them and wasn't overly impressed, but I'll now take a go at a full review. I pour this into a standard pint glass.

Half inch, off white loosely packed head. Copper in color. Good lacing.

Hop forward dank aroma of citrus and pine. Nothing out of the ordinary here, but pleasant on the nose nonetheless.

The taste is much more balanced than my nose predicted. Caramel and biscuits fit the malt profile, while citrus and pine come through on the hop side.

Creamy, clean and medium bodied mouthfeel. The strongest attribute in this beer, making this one very easy to drink.

Overall a solid IPA, and one of the better IPAs east of the Mississippi in my book. To me though, there are so many better west coast IPAs I'd go to before this one.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Victory Hop Devil Nonic Pint.

Appearance: Medium sized , off white...borderline tan head. Deep murky hop haze with some carb bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Hues of mahogany, orange, and amber.

Smell: Big aromatic floral IPA...and grassy. Light fruit hop notes of orange peel and lemon. Mild spice from the hops and a touch of caramel sweetness from the malts.

Taste/Feel: The floral aspect is very predominant in the flavor. A bit of green tea like earthiness both in the flavor and the dry finish makes me think I'm drinking tea. Sweet toffee malt flavor sticks around on the tongue. Some breadiness, caramel notes, pine, citrus peel/zest (lemon/oranges), and rye spice.

Overall: This beer is totally an East Coast IPA from the Mid-west. Although with the varieties of hoppy beers coming from anywhere nowadays it doesn't seem to matter all that much for the classification. I find this IPA to really integrate hops and malts well. Normally a too malty IPA over takes the hops and steals the show in a bad way...I don't enjoy that style of IPA. Here it is done in harmony...with a great floral, hop spice, and citrus peel aroma/flavor riding right along with the malts. This drinks so well and I could have multiple pints without even realizing it. Surly does hops right!

[94/100]

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge shoutout to maximum12 for throwing me some of these. He is an amazing trader - absolutely crushed me with extras. Ever since I fell head over heels in love with Abrasive, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this stuff. It pours a brown-tinted copper color, deep and rustic; light ruby hints blanket the edges. The eggshell-colored cap is cloudy and puffy, showing insane retention and leaving some fat, chunky lacing behind. Beautiful beer.

The best way for me to accurately describe the aroma would be "fresh hops". It doesn't sound like much, but the pureness and unabashed raw power radiating from this brew is simply excellent. It doesn't have as large of a citric quality as Abrasive (and I don't believe it is supposed to), but it makes up for that with some of the freshest hop aromas in the neighborhood. Leaves, grass, and florals, along with a very mild pepper spice. Simply bursting with raw hoppy goodness.

Though the fruity aspect may not be as big as Abrasive, that would be like saying Tiger Woods isn't as good of a golfer as Arnold Palmer. Furious still has a large citrus presence in the background of the aroma - zesty grapefruit peels and juicy citrus quadrants. There's a mild, oily pungency that hits hard in the final moments of the aroma's time inside your nostrils. Furious smells damn good; I imagine it's largely on par with sticking your face into a bucket full of fresh hops and citrus peels. Doesn't get much better.

The flavor profile is build upon a blanket of lightly toasted caramel and toffee flavored malts. It's evident from the appearance of Surly that caramel malts may have been used and the first sip easily confirms that. The malty body couples nicely with the heavy, earthy hop foundation. Peppery, herbal, ashy, and leafy, the hops carry over the same tone of freshness that they had in the aroma onto the palate. The earthy qualities may be a little more pronounced, but it still screams "hops!"

Grapefruit rinds and tangerines peels outline the s edges, providing a slight balance to the hop flavors and the faint sweetness from the malts. Bitterness is pretty relevant throughout the entirety of the glass (or can, I should say), although it's low enough to gulp Furious without hurting your mouth - this stuff goes down way too easy. I couldn't believe when I found out this stuff is 99 IBUs; doesn't taste like it at all. A very nice collaboration of bread, caramel, peppery hops, and grass leaves your palate satisfied after every sip. Medium bodied, crisp from high carbonation, just on the edge of being sticky and coating.

Well, there you have it. This stuff is amazing. So easy to drink and so damn delicious. Reasonably priced for a 4-pack of 16 oz. cans, too. Why in the hell doesn't this stuff leave Minnesota? If I could go to the store and buy this myself, it would easily be a staple in my fridge. Or my life.

3.75/5  rDev -13%