Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,454
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
3.75/5  rDev -13%

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz tallboy can (dated 11/15/2012) pours a medium amber with fluffy white head and great lacing. Aroma is pine, citrus, apricot, and pitchy resin. Taste is citrus, apricot, pine, caramel, and a touch of vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium, sticky resin aftertaste hangs in the back of the mouth to remind the tongue it's time to take another sip. This is the type of hop bomb that I love - intensely resinous, but well balanced.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%

Well, this is going to be very hard to write unbiased. Surly Furious, along with Two Hearted Ale, are the two beers that got me into craft. I was just a young, innocent boy in downtown Chicago. I'm 4 years older now, and now fatter and happier because of it. Nostalgia.

A - canned 10/24. Into a tulip gently, still produces two fingers of head. Off-white, pretty bubbly, not rocky but very nice. Lacing is mild, but the glass was a little wet from just being cleaned. I'm making excuses for all shortcomings already. Color is dark amber. No particulates, but there's only half the beer in there. Later pour produces the aliveness of the beer.

S - yep, that's amazing. Sweet, citrusy hops with a little sweet malts. Not getting any of the caramel maltiness that I remember smelling on this beer, and that is fine with me. This is one of the best-smelling beers I've ever had. (ZD, Sculpin, Sucks, Lunch, to name a few, if anyone cares.)

T - mostly malty to be honest. The hops definitely take a back seat. There's a tartness that makes itself present mid-taste, and the bitterness is noticed just at the end. It's very interesting (and a little disappointing to me), considering the smell.

M - insanely drinkable. Clean and light-medium. I'd like a little more carbonation. Bitter aftertaste is only temporary. Dangerous.

O - when I found out Surly pulled their supply from Chicago to meet demand back home, it was a very dark day. They still have a special place in my heart for getting me into craft. A beautiful beer that smells like absolute heaven. The taste is more malts than I'd like, but still delicious. I'd love more citrus in this AIPA, but I guess that's what Abrasive is for. Looking forward to Surly upping production and increasing circulation.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

To call a beer perfect is a tall order, but this one is. I am an absolute hop head and this is a gem in my quest for the holy ale! It pours like no other beer I have experienced. While it is the typical orange of other IPA's, it is murky and has particulate matter floating about. It is surly, surely. The smell, to quote a good pal of mine, is GLORIOUS! Citrus-pine-grapefruit will overtake your nostrils and initiate a hop coma that may be summed up in just one word; mmm. Or "mmm, beer" if you want to quote a famous father we all know. Oh, the taste... Perfection. I wonder if they just put hops in a blender and then canned it. If you are a floral hopoholic, this is the beer you have been looking for. Imbibe, my brothers and sisters.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Can (10/18/2012) to Troegs Pint glass

A: Orangey amber color nearing brown with a medium size tan head that is completely translucent

S: some floral hops but not very strong there is also a presence of malt not much else there and the smell is not very pungent without much else there.

T: there is a hop taste to start but not all that much there. However, there is a decent presence of malt there is a harsh taste of bitterness but it is fairly well balanced due to the fact that it is somewhat watered down.

M: crisp with a light hint of carbonation, but it is pretty thin to the point were like I said its watered down though it is pretty drinkable and there is no hint of alcohol

O: Solid ipa balanced but not well, easy to drink looks okay though it could have a better smell too it. Good, but it didn't blow me away I'd try it again though I wouldn't go out of the way for it though if it was fresher it could be better. Still it is a good offering from Surly, but Abrasive blows this away in my opinion.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

16 ounce can, canned on 11/21/12. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a dark amber color with about an inch off-white head that stays around for a long time. There's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is good, the brew smells like pine and citrusy (grapefruit) hops, along with some bready and caramel malt. I think the taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also the addition of some floral hops and a bit of tropical fruit. There's also a nice lingering hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick and smooth with moderate carbonation. I have to say this is a pretty good brew, it's rated high for a reason. It won't take long for me to finish this 4-pack!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company