Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,443
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Tballz420 for trading this one to me.

Can poured into my stemmed Allagash glass.

A: This beer pours a rich copper/red brown with orange highlights. I usually pour my beers rather vigorously to try to generate a nice big head, but a huge frothy off white head formed from a gentle pour. It lingered for a very long time and left amazing lacing down the glass.

S: The aroma is piny and citrusy. There is a little tiny bit of malt in the aroma as well, but it is pretty well overshadowed by the hops.

T: The flavor is pretty much hop forward upon the beer first hitting your tongue/mouth. The hop flavors are, like the nose, pine and citrus. The middle of the flavor is a nice mellowed out sweetness that gives a little bit of caramel and other malt flavors. The end returns for a nice mildly bitter aftertaste.

M: The mouthfeel is a medium body with a good amount of carbonation. The beer seems to feel thinner the longer its in my mouth. First hitting my mouth it feels kind of full, then it fades to a watery feel as the light sweetness sets in.

O: I really, really enjoyed this IPA. I have never had anything from Surly brewery and have never even really heard much about them. In fact, I probably wouldn't have known they even existed if I didn't deal with Northern Brewer and know that they teamed up with Surly to make their line of kits. I am going to buy and brew one of those now. Awesome work Surly.

Oh, I also really dig that it's in a can and it comes in an actual pint. I think we need more craft/quality beer in cans. I dig em.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

16oz can poured into an imperial pint glass; canning date of 11/4/11 stamped on the bottom of the can

Pours a deep red amber with a chunky off white cap. Loads of lace all over as this recedes in a raindrop fashion.

The aroma is of pine needles, grapefruits, tangerines, earthy spice and caramel/toffee. Definitely hop forward, but the malt is pretty sturdy.

Pine really jumps here. Tangerines and grapefruit carry through the middle with caramel and toffee. The finish is mildly bitter, a tad sweet, and a lingering pine needle flavor. They hit a good balance between malt and hop, but this definitely favors the hops.

Sticky caramel and toffee give this guy a chewy feel. Medium body, good lingering pine bitterness.

This is a damn fine IPA. Not a hop bomb by any means, but this guy is well crafted and delivers on all fronts.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter.

APPEARANCE

The beer is a dark red with a good amount of haze. There was a 1-2 finger off white head, and the beer has a nice amount of lacing throughout the session. Overall, it looks like a Red IPA, and is very lovely.

SMELL

Big hop character - there is a good amount of grapefruit, citrus, and spicy hop character. There's some nice alcohol and grain notes. There's a bit of lemon in the nose as well. Overall an awesome smelling IPA.

TASTE

There's a lot of fruit character - grapefruit, orange, and some tangerine. The hops actually give the perception of sweetness, though the beer is very bitter. It's actually very balanced compared to other IPAs. It is fantastic tasting

MOUTHFEEL

The mouthfeel is very nice. It starts off with a bit of body, then finishes dry. There isn't much carbonation, which makes it nice and smooth. It's very drinkable overall.

OVERALL

This is an awesome IPA. I got a lot of these as extras from various trades, and I'm really glad I got the chance to enjoy a few of these. I even tasted a home brewed clone of this at my local home brew shop, and it was awesome - the point is, you can't go wrong with this one!

Cheers.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in a pint glass.

A- Dark caramel, 2" off-white head with tons of lacing that sticks to the glass and remains.

S- Sweet caramel malts, some citrus, and pine.

T- Caramel, citrus, pine. Fairly malty ipa, has nice citrus, but more pine, hop bitterness.

M- A bit off for me. Low carbonation and syrupy (not thick though). Very easy to drink because of this.

O- Good ipa. A little more carbonation and citrus in there and it would be very good.

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: HUGE thanks to tmcelvain for sending a 4pk of this! 16oz bright red can; bottled 11-28-11...can you say FRESH? Poured into my Flatbranch imperial nonic.

Appearance: Rusty amber brew with a TON of tiny sediment (from dry-hopping, I'd expect) in suspension and a nice, sticky dark ivory cap that sadly fades a bit fast...not the typical IPA look, but not unappealing.

Smell: WOW, you can tell this was dry-hopped! Massive citrus and sharp, sticky pine. Not really getting much in the way of malts or caramel sweetness, which I was thinking might be present considering the malt bill and the color. Fairly pleasant, even if there's something about this (I can't quite put my finger on it) that I don't quite love.

Taste: Again, not quite what I expected. Some dusty sweet and caramel malts (more of a malt presence than typically present in an IPA), with a fairly strong hoppiness, with herbal, woodsy, and some citrus notes (orange) as well. Bitterness is strong and firm, but doesn't feel like the raging 99 IBUs stated on the can. The malts lead, the hops hit mid-palate, and then this ends with a nice bitter kick and some sweet, grainy pale malts, very much in the English tradition. All in all, this is an odd little number.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied

Overall: Over all, this is interesting, and it's not at all unpleasant but, for me, it's not the game-changer I'd been led to expect. I'll enjoy drinking the other 3 of these, but I don't think I'd likely buy a 4-pk for $10-11.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%