Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,409
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
SuperNova777

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Big Thanx to Alleykatking for hooking me up with this one.

A:Pours a reddish amber color with a small white head falls fairly quickly, nice
lacing is left hanging around on the glass.

S:Nose is dominated by big hops!!! pine is picked up intially followed up by some
tropical mango and grapefruit in the mix as well. I can't stop smelling it, I wish this
smell was in my nose all the time.

T:The taste is not as intense as the nose but good non then less. Up front some smooth
caramel malts make way for the hops to take over. First piney then a mix of tropical and citrus
hops that then linger around on the palate afterwards.

M:Body is a little thinner than I would expect but very balanced carbonation, palate
is left a little dry from the hops and alcohol that linger around.

D:For the high IBU's on this it was pretty easy drinkability all the way threw (granted you
enjoy big hops). Very juicy taste along with the smoothness, the can refers to hop bliss
and I agree the brew delivers with a low enough ABV that you can really enjoy a few.
This was my first taste of Surly and I can't wait to get my hands on some more.

12-23-2010 15:10:39 | More by SuperNova777
Soonami

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Wooow! Surly Furious lives up to the hype. As soon as I crack the can, I smell the fresh aroma from extremely successful dry-hopping. The can must really hold the hoppy goodness better than a bottle, because I can't remember having many better bottle commercial IPA. The beer is a dark crimson highlighted amber that is deceivingly dark. The smell is of herbaceous hops with fresh cut pine boughs, orange peel, and baking bread. I just can't overemphasize how fresh and vibrant the aroma is. The beer is appropriately dry with very firm bitterness and a nice little bit of caramel (but not sweet) maltiness. The carbonation was perfect and the hop tannins added a good bit of body. Beautiful beer to have a whole pint of.

12-20-2010 07:12:21 | More by Soonami
MbpBugeye

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

This can was sent to me by Zimmerbloke. Canned on 11/01/10

A- An IPA with Scottish Malt? It certainly shows up in the appearance. Furious goes way outside of the lines of how an IPA should look. Im sure its almost enough to make a few dozen style nerds on here request a style change to list this as a CDA. For me, its not dark enough, and well, we havent gotten to the flavor yet.

The beer is a Scottish Red looking purpley red. Deep copper hues blended with purple and caramel. The head adds nice color contrast as its very light. Its also very sticky. Im going to need to scrape the bubbles off when Im finished. A brief swirl revives the head to its original grandeur.

S- The aroma is purdy danged first-rate. Citrus fruits meander from glass to nose before I even lift it for a whiff proper. Once I do, however, I find lots of character that must be brought on by the unorthodox malt bill. There is a darker fruitiness. Blueberries, strawberries and caramel. The complexity here is multifaceted and is something worthy of rigorous study.

T- I dont like the taste nearly as much as the aroma. The blend of hops are very nice and create a lovely citrus and pine cocktail. Its starts out on the tip of the tongue, bright and fresh. At about the mid way point the strong malts have their turn. They bring on a heavier, caramel, crackery dynasty. The finish is smooth but isnt so long as to block out a long lingering pine bitterness.

M- This feels to be on the fuller side of medium bodied. It makes for a thicker feeling IPA for certain. The carbonation is just where I like it. It promotes a nice smoothness.

This stuff will really grow on you. Im liking it more as this live review goes on. The stuff is nowhere near being bad, and it is by far and away an interesting take on the style, but there are others out there that do it better for me.

This is my second can, and the fresher of the two. Being that its over a month and a half old, its not too awfully old, and I feel like one of those Sonoma County nerds when I say this, but I would like to have a go at a REALLY fresh can. The hop bill is my favorite part.

12-20-2010 03:07:45 | More by MbpBugeye
jeddsp

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

I really enjoyed this beer, got it in the Secret Santa BIF...thanks Leigh!

Poured a dark amber bronze into a tulip glass that allowed for a good foamy head that lasted through the 1st half of the drink.

Smell to me was sweet pine....citrusy but allowed the hops to come through.

Taste was fantastic, again sweet, but not too sweet with a great blast of hops on the backside. I used to have preconceived notions about beers in a can, but there are some phenomenal beers in a can, and this is one of them.

VERY drinkable to me, wish I had access to more down here in GA cause I can definitely see myself throwing a few of these back.

12-20-2010 00:30:11 | More by jeddsp
LiquidBread219

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

A= Amber in color nice bigf foamy head with nice lacing.

S= Really nice hops in the nose really pick up on the pine hops and a little bit of citrus hops in the end.

T= Nice taste in this beer kind of let down a little because the nose was so full of hops and in the tast they are rather faint I think the carmel backbone kind of ruined the hops for me but still really good.

M= Light in body good carbonation.

D= Very drinkable nice clean and crisp beer really liked this one.

12-19-2010 22:43:16 | More by LiquidBread219
birchstick

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to surlytwinsfan for the opportunity to finally try this one!

A - pours a faint ruby red, almost burnt orange with a nice head that leaves behind a lot of lacing

S - smells strongly of faint pine and huge grapefruity / citrus hops. Nice!

T - taste follows the nose pretty nicely. The citrusy pine is immediately more dominate on the palate than in the nose. There is a really nice caramel backbone to this beer that allows the bitter hops to shine. It leaves with a bitterness akin to that of an orange or lemon peel. Pretty solid IPA here.

M - amazingly smooth and full. Exceptional mouthfeel to it.

D - this is a pretty solid IPA here. Not as big and bold as a DIPA, but extremely flavorful and enjoyable. I have been wanting to try this for a while and was glad I was finally able to. I am excited to start trying some others from Surly.

12-18-2010 22:52:59 | More by birchstick
HosP

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into my Upland pint glass. Thanks to Fear025 for this nice treat!

A - Pours nice deep amber in color. Off white 2 finger head that leaves solid lacing down glass.

S - Big pine hop aroma up front! Some citrus smell at the end.

T - Very nice crisp taste to this beer. Citrus, grapefruit hoppy flavor up front. Finishes off nicely with a caramel malt backbone. Everything you can ask for from an IPA.

M - Lighter body, with good carbonation. Oily mouthfeel with good bitterness

D - All around solid IPA. Big hop flavor with good balance to it. Could drink a couple of these very easily! Wish I could buy a couple of these a weekend!

12-18-2010 03:28:34 | More by HosP
TMoney2591

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Served in a Buffalo Bills/Coors Light shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this BIFed can!

Feel the fury! It pours a hazy amber-brown topped by a finger of ecru foam. The nose comprises pine, mint, light menthol, grapefruit, toffee, and caramel. Lovely. The taste is mostly a blast of caramel-dipped pine, with a side note of ruby red grapefruit. Hops, baby! The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly sticky feel. Overall, a very nice IPA that makes me agree with Mike on this one: We need Surly back in these parts!

12-17-2010 22:45:35 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to Lenny1203 for this baby from the N00B BIF #2

The friend whom I split this with, taiyed, claims that even after I've poured this, that he wants to live in the can. That having been said I approached this in the conventional manner. This beer is a nice darker orange color with a nice ecru finger of foam on the surface. The smell is out of this world. It smells like when I picked hops and stuck my head into a box of them. It smells so fresh it's wonderful. The taste was rather assertive in hoppiness. I believe that there was a rather gritty dirt flavor up front, but it was taken over quickly by the bitterness of the hops and the caramel malt aftertaste. The mouthfeel was the downside of this beer, I really had to trudge through the feeling that there was literally soil in the beer (though I know there wasn't). This when let warm became even more notable in the caramel flavor, and progressively became more and more drinkable as it went along due to the fact of my tongue becoming used to the hoppy bitterness. This is a fine supery hoppy IPA, and just one more reason I wish that I had Surly around these parts.

12-17-2010 20:29:49 | More by Vdubb86
MADhombrewer

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance- Cloudy caramel color with a nice thick, dirty white head.
Lots of lacing on this one.

Smell- Hell yea! Grassy hops and grapefruit all over the place. I detect some pineapple as well. I could smell this all night long.

Taste- Lots of pineapple and citrusy grapefruit. If you give it a min there are crazy bittering hops left on your tounge after each sip. Wow. There is a little malt in the background, but gets more prominent as it warms.

Mouthfeel- This is a bit thick for an IPA, but good, nonetheless. There is a lot of malt character in this part.

Drinkability- very good. I wish this was available closer to me. I would buy this often.

The only other Surly beer I have had so far has been Coffee Bender and I didn't care for it to much, but this one is very good. Thank to Hopsbreath for giving this to me for no apparent reason. He will get his, though. Yes... he will get his. Thanks Jason.

12-14-2010 03:42:32 | More by MADhombrewer
321jeff

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a rich deep amber with a solid finger of tannish head that leaves some sticky lacing as it fades. Darker than your average IPA, but still very nice looking.

Aroma is just heavenly, predominately piney hops but some citrus gets in there as well as some caramel. A very well balanced aroma that screams IPA, but in a very enjoyable way.

Taste is equally as balanced with lots of bitter resinous hops, but then the caramel sweetness comes to the rescue to even up the score a bit. Some dough and hints of citrus are also noticeable.

Light to medium in body but it is a little sticky. Lots of prickly carbonation in there as well. This is a classic IPA that is not to be missed.

12-14-2010 01:14:59 | More by 321jeff
afksports

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

There's nothing else to say about Surly's Furious than it is a hell of a well-built IPA. But I'll try.

The appearance is hazy and dark amber for an IPA. Great head, good lacing that maintains. It smells of subdued piney hops and several malts. The taste is hop forward, and finishes with hop bitters, but drinks very smooth through the tongue while the malts peak.

It's made exactly the way that I want an IPA to be made for me, almost tailored. Carbonation is good, and that makes its medium body even stronger. Low enough alcohol to be highly drinkable, but high enough so that you don't have to overdrink just to feel a buzz. This is a damn-near perfect beer.

If only I didn't have to trade from Minnesota for it...

12-12-2010 23:32:51 | More by afksports
TheDudeBeers

16 oz Can poured into Glass

A - Careful but speedy pour produced 2-3 fingers of head. Head dissipated within a few minutes. The color is a dark orange-amber.

S - Most notably i smell citrus and hops. Very sweet and fantastic smelling IPA.

T - I taste a fair amount of citrus for an IPA which I like. I definitely taste some grapefruit. The bitterness of the grapefruit and hops work perfectly together. Some slight caramel notes in the background.

M - Medium carbonation. Not too much or too little, just the right amount. The delicious citrus hops combination lingers in your mouth for a while.

D - I could drink this beer all day and not be sick of it.

12-12-2010 22:08:25 | More by TheDudeBeers
OakedCanuck

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

16oz can poured into Maudite tulip.

This deep copper beer forms an incredible rocky white head that stays with the beer as it is consumed. Distinct hop bitterness dominates the nose with some grapefruit and a touch of sweetness. This is definitely one of the best IPAs I have ever tasted. Piney, resiny, fruity taste with a great balance of malt and not too sweet. Semi dry mouth with excellent balance, a touch sticky. Man, I wish this would be a local to me, I'd buy it all the time.

12-12-2010 20:40:54 | More by OakedCanuck
Patchmaster

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to ScoobyDank for sending some Surly love

A- Pours a nice thick two finger head. Had some pretty thick lacing. Beautiful amber color. I would say this is one of the better looking IPA beers.

S- Sweet citrus a hint of pine with some grapefruit aromas. Very pleasing to the nose. It may have a small bit of caramel in the nose, but definitely more hop forward smell wise...Very enjoyable

T- Citrusy hops with a slight bit of maltiness. Overall a nice taste.

M- Medium amount of carbonation with a silky finish to the beer. A resiness aftertaste if I had any complaint

D- Overall a great beer. Wish I could get my hands on this more often. Could easily have this as my go to session beer.

12-09-2010 19:49:14 | More by Patchmaster
Estocker

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Beer from a can meant for a glass!

Thanks to DeschutesNut for throwing this in as a trade extra.

Poured from the can into my tulip glass!
Looks as beautiful as any West coast ipa I've ever seen. A nice orange/amber color. Some nice foamy white head with good retention.... later it gives a fantastic spider lacing that should prove annoying to clean up.

Smell instantly reminds me of Pliny the Elder. Huge Pine notes followed by some less pronounced citrus and a little bit of grassy character. Smells like a good West coast style, although not quite as aromatic as some of the better IPAs I've had. It's definitely pleasing.

Tastes like it smells. Hits you hard, you can really tell this thing is high on the IBUs, but it's not bittering in a negative way. The big pine character dominates the palate, and it tastes delicious. Some citrus, mainly grapefruit flavor comes in midway to sweeten things up, and then it ends with a little bit of malt and a grassy note.

Mouthfeel/drinkability seems good, but most probably wouldn't want to have more than 1 or 2 due to the palate wrecking flavor.

One of my favorite IPAs and I feel that it competes with the big dogs.

I wish I could get my hands on some Surly out west!

12-07-2010 09:09:00 | More by Estocker
deapokid

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

My second Surly! Big thanks to chewy08rx.

Opens with a huge, soapy white head. Liquid is a radiant copper color and that massive head leaves behind heavy lacing.

Nose is full of big alpha hops and pine needles. There's also a dash of citrus in there, if you sniff around for a while.

Flavor packs a malt backbone while maintaining a robust and scratchy hop-induced conclusion. Taste is very grassy and floral, making it seem natural and organic.

Mouth is smooth and creamy up front followed by a fresh, medicinal hop bite. The strong hopping tingles on the tongue, leaving behind a certain spiciness.

This is a genius IPA with a bold hop flavor that doesn't exchange balance for strength. Drinking more is simply a nice way to unravel all of its complexities.

12-05-2010 15:34:14 | More by deapokid
squaremile

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Surly is one of those breweries I wish was out here so I could drink Furious and Abrasive all the time. Pours a golden orange with a sizeable white bubbly head. The nose is one of those that you can get about a foot away from the glass, exactly how I like it. Loaded with c-hops. Taste exceeds expectations. Giant pine and white grapefruit first, followed by a movement of pineapple and caramel notes, and finishing pretty dry with some bitterness on the sides of the mouth. Wow! Feel is wonderful, and the drinkability is good, I'd want more than one but your buds would be ruined after more. Excellent IPA, worthy of the hype. Maybe the best IPA I've had that was not brewed out west.

12-04-2010 09:07:28 | More by squaremile
SurlyMe

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass

A - Deep amber in color, light pour yields a nice cream colored 2 finger head which thins leaving light lacing

S - Big piney hops, grapefuit, sweet citrus

T - The first time I tasted this beer I felt that the name described the taste best, FURIOUS! It has a taste/bite like no other IPA ive ever tried. Follows the nose at first with grapefruit, citrus, and hop notes up front. finishes with a nice caramel flavor.

M - Smooth, light carbonation feel, resinous aftertaste

D - Big hop profile and resinous feel makes you want to keep on sipping.

Overall, very tasty stuff, one of my favorite IPAs but I can only have a couple in one sitting just because there is SO much flavor. This IPA is like no other i've tried, in a good way. I highly recommend trying it if you have access to it (Minnesota folk).

11-30-2010 05:05:11 | More by SurlyMe
GPHarris

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

a - poured a two-fingers thick creamy tan head into a tulip glass that left great lacing and thick sheeting throughout. the body was a bright and dark amber color. if there is a better looking AIPA then i haven't seen it.
s - strong citrus and grapefruit aroma with a hint of pine and some spiciness. there is also just the faintest hint of caramel or toffee.
t - piney hops with a hint of caramel/toffee.
m - creamy and smooth. terrific.
d - great beer and one of the best, if not the best AIPA i've had.

11-29-2010 20:37:57 | More by GPHarris
kbanks13

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this in a trade earlier this week, thanks Joe!

Poured into a shaped pint glass with an amber colored clear body that had a frothy white head with great retention and lacing. Smells of grapefruit and pine mostly but with a good floral hop background, too. Nice and fruity but balanced with a hint of sweet buttery malts. Taste is just like I bit into a grapefruit covered in pine needles, I love it. Bitter, resiny and juicy hops give way to a biscuity malt bill that is sweet enough to take the edge off but doesn't interfere enough to make the hops completely fade away. High carbonation and an oily slick body that is medium to thin but still coats pretty well. Drinks wonderfully, I would love to have this one on the shelves in Boston. Even my Dad, who hates bitter IPAs, had a sip and loved this beer.

11-25-2010 23:11:03 | More by kbanks13
KickInTheChalice

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Furious pours a full amber cherry color, slightly hazy with a huge fluffy off-white sea foam head. Nice retention, and lace sticks all over the glass on the way down.

Smell: Boom! Tons of caramel malt, grapefruit, and piney hops... just when I crack the can open. When I get down in it, the hops have some herbal character, but the pine is still the most dominant.

Taste: Furious just knocks my socks off - this is what I want an IPA to be. Sweet buttery toffee and caramel up front. Spicey pine provides an intro to the hop profile. Juicy grapefruit and pineapple, then more pine. Some sweetness comes back at the end to finish relatively clean.

Mouthfeel: Great huge hops create a tingling sensation on the tongue. The right level of carbonation gives it a creamy feel, almost buttery. The hops make it juicy. The only thing that really detracts from the feel is that a little hop oil remains on the tongue and some stickiness stays on the lips after each sip.

Drinkability: Give me this all the time. Could Abrasive be better than this?

11-24-2010 04:44:26 | More by KickInTheChalice
wcudwight

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Copper colored with a massive sticky off-white head. Lot's of lace sticks to the sides of the glass. Smells like a citrus fruit bowl and buttermilk biscuits. It's different, but I like it. Huge abrasive hops abuse the taste buds. Lot's of citrus and piney flavors with hints of caramel. Full mouthfeel with sharp hoppiness. Easy drinker for the hopheads. Probably not the best IPA I've ever had but it's a very good one.

11-22-2010 02:46:18 | More by wcudwight
ToAzwethinkweizm

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed on 20 November 2010. Much thanks to Lenny1203 for this beer.

Poured a pint of this between two 10oz snifters, tasting with a family member. This began with a 1-finger head, reducing to a super-thin layer of head. Color is a slightly cloudy red-stricken orange, with that familiar Surly lacing: very small bubbles, yet this lacing was not as impressive....it was a little runny. The aroma hops are so very similar to Ithaca's Cascazilla, which I believe is a barrage of cascade hops. Nonetheless, the hops are wonderful and fresh. Other aromas include fresh pine needles, citrus (more toward orange than lemon), and malts of an English nature. Something is a little spicy on the nose. The taste is quite malty-sweet with fresh bittering hops, and a deep toffee flavor (and no caramel as specified on the can). A deep, delightful bitterness sticks around the roof of the mouth. Carbonation is light. Fantastic IPA!

11-20-2010 23:04:22 | More by ToAzwethinkweizm
JLeege

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance- Pours a clear light amber with a two finger creamy head. Good retention, great lace.

Smell- Hops, a great blend of pine and citrus.

Taste- Incredible. Fruity citrus hops up front, balanced with a nice caramel malt. A bit of resinous pine on the finish. Bitter but not drying.

Mouthfeel- medium body and carbonation, very smooth.

Overall- I have had this on draft too many times to count. Just as good out of the can, about 3 months on this one, so still fresh. Seek this out, buy it, trade for it!

11-19-2010 03:04:50 | More by JLeege