Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,418
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.72/5  rDev +9%

I've received this many times from biglobo8971 and every time I get it I am grateful. This beer has turned into one of my favorites, and now I am finally sitting down to review it.

A - This beer looks more like an English Pale than an IPA. Copper hue that is almost a reddish brown.

S - This beer has some powerful hops coming off the nose. Citrusy with hints of grapefruit.

T - The taste on this beer is fantastic. It has a great malty backbone followed up with lots of bitter hops. It has a nice sweetness with lots of bitterness. Its not overly sweet though.

M- This thing has a very large mouthfeel. It has the body of something in the 8-9% range but is only a 6.2%. Not slippery or thin at all.

O-If this was available to me year around I would probably buy a 4 pack a week. This beer is definitely one of the reasons I started trading. It is a great IPA with a great malt backbone to help off set all the west coast style IPAs on the market. If you are ever in the surly distro area pick up this beer.

strikertown, May 08, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

16 oz can poured into snifter.

A: very hazy dark orange. decent head. nice lacing.
S: not a very strong scent. spicy. not getting any pine or citrus.
T: very bitter. bready/biscuity. not hint of sweetness. not very balanced. like the flavor of the hop profile, but would prefer a little more balance. slight pine oiliness.
M: very creamy mouthfeel. thick for a regular ipa, but i think this is definitely a good thing. outstanding.
O: enjoyed it and it stands up to about any regular ipa i can buy locally, but i was still disappointed due to the hype. easy to drink and not overpoweringly bitter by any means, but not as balanced as i prefer.

PhatAtUT, May 07, 2011
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Canned on 3/29/2011... Thank you to the Surly guys that AleWatcher introduced me to at DLD!

A- Pours a deep copper/amber color with a beautiful large pillowing light khaki colored head almost overflowing the glass. Very enticing...

S- Thank you Surly for this aroma that I have now gotten to experience. In your face grapefruit, pineapple, oranges, and just a tiny bit of pine/wood to add some complexity. I literally sense NO malt sweetness in this to back up the hop aroma like you get in other beers, and that is great by me!

T/M- Very bitter forward. Bitterness takes hold of the mouth before any flavor can be noticed. Its not too much bitterness that it doesn't work or anything, but would have liked the citrus flavor to pop just a bit more. Again, no caramel or sweetness but there is a slight bready character that round things out. Also, that slight pine tinge is back for an encore on the flavor that does really round things out. Nice moderate carbonation on a fairly full body (for an IPA).

O- Very good IPA. The only thing I would change would be to balance the bitterness and the hop flavor just a bit more. My favorite part of this beer is how Surly was able to make the IPA with almost not strong malt backbone flavors, yet it wasn't completely out of whack or astringent or anything... Very happy with my first Surly and would like more coming!

TheGordianKnot, May 07, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Canned on 05/03/11.

A - Poured slowly into a snifter. It formed a 1 finger cream color head that stayed around for some time then slowly thin head and collar. It has a slightly hazy reddish-brown color. Lots of thin lacing the sticks to the sides of the glass.

N - Very nice aroma of pine, grass and grapefruit.

T - Trace sweetness and bready malt up front with lots of lemon rind and pine in the finish. The bitter hops in the finish are very intense and linger .

M - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. It dances around quite a bit. Not much if any alcohol presence, it is well hidden by the hops and carbonation.

O/D - I've drunk quite a bit of furious in the past but haven't had it as of late. I think my palette has become more accustomed to IPAs with more malt and sweetness, so Furious tasted like a bitter storm this time around. Not a bad thing. Furious is an excellent beer and I will enjoy it for as long as they make it.

LaCoursiere, May 06, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into my ccb pint glass, reddish brown, half a finger head, hazy. Aroma of hops with malt in background. Taste follows the nose hops with little malt, no balance. Citrus from the hops is good just not great. Highly carbonated. It's good just not great, after having abrasive(excellent) it's hard to tell they are both from the same brewery.

jcartamdg, May 06, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Beautiful dark amber with a frothy off-white head. Great lacing on the glass

S: Citrus hops play a huge part in this beer. Slight hint of Juniper as well.

T: All kinds of citrus hop presence, followed by a good dose of carmel, then finally some bitterness from the hops.

M: Smooth and almost creamy, not much for carbination, almost like it was pulled from a cask.

O: A very solid IPA, one of the best I have had to date. Would probably go broke if I could buy this whenever I want.

bert13tj, May 05, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Oh, my darling..I'd like to thank the kind soul who brought these back into my life. What could be better after a long long work day?
The surprise can glistens with delight and impending satisfaction. I rub myself gratuitously. Tangerines and pine shoots with the hintiest of malts. Big and sharp aromas. The bitterness is magnanimous, giving all that it can to me. The citrus bursts through my heart, the fine fruits of its labor. My mouth is sticky and drying; my breath the whispers of angels.
I am happy. I am not furious.

dragonWhale, May 04, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer is a beautiful deep amber with a pillowy beige head. Wispy lacing on the glass as the beer is enjoyed.

Aroma: Citrus hops and a bit of juniper

Taste: Large citrus hop presence then a solid caramel malt backbone and a nice long finish from bittering hops.

Mouthfeel is exceptional, smooth and creamy, feels like a cask-conditioned beer.

Overall, seriously solid IPA, one of the standouts amongst a very crowded field. definitely give this a try if you can.

evanackerman, May 03, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

16oz can poured into a Pint glass.

A- dark orange-amber with a 1 finger tan colored head. The head has nice retention and leaves good lacing.

S- Pine and some sweet malts.

T- Very mild, more so than I was expecting after the smell. Some pine, citrus, and malt.

D- Balanced, but a bit bitter up front. Very drinkable and nice. Thanks jimixr for including as an extra in a trade.

HuskyinPDX, Apr 30, 2011
4.11/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Very dark murky amber hue with a slightly off-white color head. Head is quite foamy and solid looking. Nice looking bubble stream from the bottom though the middle. Spotty lacing.

S - Amazingly nice tropical scent with extreme citrus and toffee notes. Slight pine resonates too... Very "sticky" scent. I can smell this brew sitting on my table. Pungent amazingness.

T - Very light flavor for an IPA, quite enjoyable. Very hop forward with a relaxed back feeling. Not overly bitter, but still has the IPA bite. Well done Surly.

M - Great mouthfeel; light, air-y, balanced, well carbonated, addicting.

D - Strong. I could down many of these, but I think it could get me in some trouble... Consumed around 55 degrees from a NB Globe. Canned 3/29/11. Great brew!

This was my first Surly brew ever and will definitely be seeking more in the future. Thanks for the trade Nick!

Cheers!

chugalug06, Apr 30, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Caramel malty, complex hoppy dIPA/Red hybrid.
___

A: Lovely deep pumpkin colored body, yeast chunks, and a two finger but quickly settling off white head that leaves just a bit of lace.

S: Very much larger than the ABV would suggest. Big, fat buttery caramel malt foundation upon which a shit ton of hops is laid... grapefruit, pine, tea, spice, floral... it's all there. I'd be pleased if this was the nose of a DIPA, so for a mere 6.2% brew, it's just fantastic.

T: Wow... much darker and rounder than I had expected. Hop bitterness still dominates, but malt is definitely up there. Tea and floral notes are the primary hop contributions, with spices and pine receeding and citrus almost non-existant. I think this is probably a freshness issue (date on bottom is smudged - not older than four months is all I can tell), but I was hoping for the more explosive hops that other reviewers cite.

M: Perfect weight and texture, perhaps a bit over carbonated.

O: My first good beer from a can! It was a bit surreal pouring this thing and being greeted by such an inviting aroma, having no experience to draw on but cans of BMC. Freshness aside, I can tell that this is amazing beer; the fact that it recieves such a high score while being compromised by freshness it a testament to that. Will have to seek out a fresher can.

dmfrench, Apr 29, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

On Tap at Stub and Herbs in Minneapolis

A: Gorgeous rouge with striking amber and orange tones. Slight cloudiness. Thick bready head. Really great lace like a timeline down the glass.

S: Huge hops. Aromas of pine, ammonia, juniper, roses, rosemary, and grapefruit.

T: Huge bracing hops. Bitterness is the main flavor versus just being a complimentary or finishing note. Great levels of citrus, sweetness, tartness, and aseptic qualities abound. Delicious.

M: Beautifully carbonated (heavy). Carbonation is necessary to keep the bitter flavors moving across the tongue. Medium-low viscosity. Lingers.

D: Really delicious beer. Have had more than a few in a sitting and loved it. Would be my #1 session IPA if i could get this in Cali.

SoCalStout, Apr 29, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +9%

This is an excellent beer. I have really become attached to it. I received two 4 packs in a recent trade and only have 1 can left. It's deliciously hoppy but not too piney. Color is wonderful, taste even better. I would say that I like it it much better than Abrasive as it is much smoother to my palate.

Light amber colored with great lacing and head, I could drink this every day if I lived near a place that sold Surly.

Smells great, citrusy and hoppy but not overly so.

The taste is sublime, really delicious.

M- Above average for the style.

O/D- Oh yeah, I could keep these coming all day long. Due to the rarity I have had to make my two 4 packs last a little over a month. If you can get some you definitely owe it to yourself to try it.

sendsilk, Apr 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Poker winnings from baconsausage. Thanks bud.

Poured a dark brownish amber color with lots of slightly off-white head and decent lacing as well.

Smell is full of hops and citrus.

Taste is very good. Bitter hops throughout with good malt flavor throughout.

Medium-light mouthfeel. This is a great drinking beer.

I really enjoyed this beer quite a bit. This is a good solid IPA. Definitely wouldnt mind getting some more. Hopefully they expand their brewery soon.

richkrull, Apr 27, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

From a can to my Darkness snifter.

Pours a nice reddish amber with a strong fingers worth of white head. Sticky lacing remains around my glass. Pine, hop, grapefruit and some slight bread emit from the glass. an amber red and ipa hybrid. Bubbly on the front of my tongue. Light citrus but not sweet just citrus up front. Sharp hop bite soon follows. Drying in the throat on the end sip. Truly well rounded and fantastic. This is a tongue bruiser to say the least, and not for the faint of heart.

I'm pretty lucky to live within arms reach of this beer. It is my go to brew and it never fails. My first beer I fell in love with. I even brought her home to mom on our first date. This beer is hyped and for good cause. I try to throw it in as trade extras to spread the love. Seek it out.

TheDudeRules, Apr 24, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

A - It pours an inch of off-white head into a pint glass. It has a very nice retention and leaves some decent lacing. The beer is clear and has a medium amber hue with visible carbonation.

S - This beer has a huge aroma consisting of a strong caramel malt presence, along with pine and citrus.

M - Light to medium in body with moderate carbonation and a somewhat creamy feel.

T - Up front there is a little bit of the caramel malt from the aroma. It's quickly followed by varying degrees of citrus before hitting a light pine and heavy grapefruit rind wall. The strong bitterness lasts into the finish along with some malty notes.

Best IPA I've had from a can, so far. It's somehow extremely bitter, yet malty at the same time, which balances it out. I love the 16oz cans Surly produces, only wish I could obtain them easier!

boralyl, Apr 21, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A - deep red, clear, frothy light tan head

S - mostly clean pine, some grapefruit, light malt sweetness, smells good, pretty much what an IPA should be

T - some sweet tropical notes to start, quickly was away by pine and bitter grapefruit, firm bitterness, dry finish with some lingering dry toasty malt

M - smooth, not too heavy, dry finish, med low carbonation, good for an IPA

D - clean fresh hops, decent bitterness, easy to drink

Yup, pretty much a world class US IPA. Loads of hops, but still approachable in my mind. Well brewed.

markaberrant, Apr 21, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to PhiDelt for sharing this!

Appearance: As far as IPAs go this one is a little darker than most; however, this is one gorgeous looking beer. Deep copper/ amber color with a tan head that slowly fades and leaves patches on the top of the beer and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: Not as pungent as one would expect. There is more balance in this IPA then in others. There are definitely a lot of hops here, but there is a balance in aroma. Citrus, fruity notes, a little bit of pine and a sweet malty background.

Taste: The taste is very pleasing. A nice biting bitterness that is complimented with a sweet caramel malty backbone that is almost roasty in nature.

Mouthfeel: I would say it has just the right amount of carbonation. A nice medium mouth feel and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: This is a fantastic IPA. One of the best I have ever had. Highly recommended.

jamescain, Apr 20, 2011
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Just had Abrasive the other night. Let's see how this one stacks up against it.

Pours a deep caramel, almost brown with a thin, quarter inch white head. Great lacing and the suds coat the glass all over. Aroma is filled with grapefruit and pine. Some caramel malt sweetness in the nose as well. Flavor has a strong sweet toffee/caramel malt backbone with a big citrusy hop bitterness. Goes down easy and leaves a dry, piney/citrusy hop finish. Alcohol extremely well hidden, and very drinkable at "only" 6.2%. I have yet to try a beer from Surly that I didn't like. Truly a world class IPA.

muttyd, Apr 18, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks Beerwolf77 for sending this one over!

A: A deep copper body with a thick white head. Great lacing.

S: Nice hoppy aroma of pine & grapefruit. Caramel malts sweeten the nose.

T: Starts off with a bitter hoppy upfront with notes of citrus and pine. Middle is sweet from caramel malts and then turns a bit bready. Finishes slightly dry. Very well balanced.

M: Medium body, slightly fizzy carbonation, very smooth and clean texture.

O: I love Surly beers. This is another great one. Definitely worth trying if you like IPA. Wish I could get more.

BrewCrew2010, Apr 17, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a dark copper color with some slight amber hints and a white .256 inch head. THe head is slightly white with some slightly dense bubbles. the head is reduced to a nice thin film.

S - Aroma starts off bready and grainy with some slight caramel and a nice healthy dose of hop notes. Pine and some citrus notes add some good balance to the beer. There is some grassy hop spiciness as well.

T & M - Delicious toasty bread malt comes up with some slight burnt caramel sweetness. There is some nice slight pine and citrus notes coming in with the malt then some very nice hop bitterness. This beer seems like and American take on an English IPA with the hops playing more of a support role (a great one) to the nice bready malt backbone. There is some good spice and a nice dry finish to the beer. Awesome brew!

O - A very nice offering from Surly. On the heals of Abrasive a good Single IPA offering with good hop and malt combination. Overall this brew is a most have and well deserving of the high praise.

JoEBoBpr, Apr 15, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a translucent orange amber with a solid off-white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

Smell is citrus hops up front, with a nice malt backing. The combo makes for sweet fruity aromas like grapefruit combined with apricots. Quite nice.

Starts out slightly sweet and bready, which is quickly followed by a one-two punch of the citrus flavors and bitterness from teh hops. I really like the balance of this beer; not overwhelmingly hoppy, and with enough malt flavor to smooth it all out. Much more than a simple hop-bomb. Closes out smooth, as the bitter finish just slides slowly away.

Feels thicker than it looks, with a doppelbock-like chewiness. Good carbonation; lots of little bubbles giving the flavors some bounce. Coats the mouth, and strangely, the flavors are gone before the feeling of the beer is.

I'm a big fan of balanced IPAs (read, not simply a blast of hop bitterness). This is an excellent one, with enough malty bready sweet goodness to support the other flavors but no so much that they contend with the hops' primacy. Quite good.

zeledonia, Apr 11, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a snifter

A- Dark copper orange, a lot darker than the Abrasive, 2 finger off white head, hazy as well.
S- Hoppy, citrus, grapefruit, hints of malt as well
T- Malt flavor is very evident, citrus, and grapefruit pop out, not as hoppy as the Abrasive, excellent solid IPA flavor
M- Medium mouth feel, bitterness and sweetness, well balanced, very smooth
O- Just a solid surly brew, Surly really can do no wrong. Not as hop forward as the Abrasive but more balanced with the malts and hops.

Chriscrundwell12, Apr 10, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from 16 oz. can into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep amber orange. Big white head with great retention and nice lacing.

Smell: Very strong scent of hops. Hops smell very lively and fresh. Grapefruit and pine up front with sweet caramel malt following. A sniff of bread is also in the background.

Taste: Sweetness from the malts up front followed by a burst of pine hops. The fruit really balances the bite from the hops quite well. Finishes very dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth.

Overall: A fantastic IPA. A great balance of sweetness and hop bitterness.

MattyG85, Apr 10, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

16oz can from therobot. Canned 3/8/11. Into a NB Globe.

A: Quite a bit darker than most IPAs, nice deep copper color with a dense, rocky, light tan colored head that is about an inch thick and slowly recedes leaving huge gobs of lacing on the side of the glass. Fairly cloudy.

S: Nice big citrus hop profile with a nice juicy smelling hop flavor. Not really much else beyond the huge hops, but that's okay. I really like the way this smells.

T: Again, nice hop profile as well as a bit of toasted malts follow the initial hop burst. A touch of caramel finishes everything out and finishes with a respectable bitterness. Really an interesting IPA with the slight but very noticeable amount of roast in as well. Not as loaded on the hops as I'd thought, nice balance. Tasty.

M: Excellent here, a decent amount of body, perfect carbonation and fairly dry. Exactly how an IPA should be.

O: Not a bad beer at all, and glad to try it. Really enjoying this one, and hope that I can get some more. So far nothing disappointing from Surly at all.

Thanks Dan!