Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,427
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I had can that was nearly 3 months old, so I'm reviewing that with my memory of when I has some much fresher tastes.
I poured it into a tulip glass, the color was a light brown to dirty amber, small head quickly faded away. Aroma was just ok, but I remember fresher it was more pungant - piney and citrus aromas.
Not much malt coming through, but plenty of bitterness and and the piney/citrus hops character. Mouthfeel was decent, well carbonated. This is a very good IPA and if it was available locally I'd be drinking lots of it.

tripelhops, Jun 12, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Capra12 for hooking me up with a can of this beer. Was way better thank I expected, especially considering it was in a can!!!

A: pours a nice golden-brown color, good carbonation look, and a small head that didn't last long.

S: primarily hops, with some malt to it, and mild evergreen scent as well. very little alcohol smell to this one.

T: Initial taste is all hops, which was fantastic, followed by some mild citrus and a small amount of pine/oak notes.

M: medium body, with some lingering hoppiness, which I loved! Finishes shortly after teh swallow.

O: a great canned beer, huge surprise as I normally wouldn't drink canned beers. This is one I will most definately look for again! Delicous! You need to try this if you are a hop head!

Sidebordz, Jun 12, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

A- hazy brown body with a small off-white head

S- citusy and piney hops with some bready malts under it all

T- much like the nose with the citrus and pine from start to finish with a nice bitter hop finish

M- medium body with moderate carbonation

O- a good American ipa and I am really glad to have tried it

aepb1, Jun 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Tastes are red-meaty hops, tin, plastic wraps, pills, banana skins, tomatoes, sunflowers, table scraps lemon zest, amber syrup, dextrose, silica, boozy goodness and lemon merigue. Smells are hops, malt, soft water, sugar, spice, beans, rubber, and maltose.

Jazzcrop, Jun 10, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer pours a yellowy orangish color with a pretty descent and sticky white head. the smell is very citrusy with some pine notes as well, a very well balanced hop profile. the flavor is pretty similar with citrus just beating out pine for the dominant hop characters, along with just enough malt backbone so its not just a total hop bomb. the mouthfeel is crisp dry and well carbed. overall this is a very solid brew

rowingbrewer, Jun 09, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A: A dark bronze - brown color w/ a dirty looking 1 finger layer of foam floatin' on top...

S: Danky hop buds... yummy!

T: Tasty, but I should of popped this one a little sooner... getting a good blend of hop-malt balancing each other out on this beer... dry backbone to it.

M: Creamy ipa...very smooth to drink..

O: Pretty tasty treat. What can I say, anything by Surly usually is...

vande, Jun 09, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

a-Very dark color for an IPA. leaves slight lacing

s- amazing smell. tons of citrus and pine. its like you took two car fresheners, one pine and one citrus

t- very hoppy. short of stone ruination, I dont think Ive ever tasted this much hop. good mix of citrus and pine though with some toffee to make it truly furious

m- a little grainy, but not too bad

BeerEngineer89, Jun 09, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

A - healthy looking deep orange-amber with a two finger off white head. The head retention is on the low side, but there's definitely a little hanging around, lacing is minimal.

S - a nice dose of citrus, grass and pine. Totally balanced. Also has a nice floral quality to it with a touch of malt sweetness and a faint alcohol presence in the end.

T - The hop balance here is fantastic; lemon, mango and grapefruit marry perfectly with grass and pine in seemingly equal parts. Some malt creeps in offering small amounts of caramel, nut and bread and finishes with a light grapefruit and pine bitterness.

M - medium bodied, crisp, perfect carbonation.

O - This is delicious and terribly drinkable. Wish I could make this a staple and it will forever be on my wants.

drewba, Jun 09, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

Got this as an extra in a trade with stevef03, thank you! Color looks like the inside of a plum. Theres floaties like crazy! Very strong peach smell on the nose, some grapefruit, orange, and hops. Upon tasting, once again, peach is very dominant, followed by other citrus notes, however this was not near as hoppy as I would have expected from an IPA. More smooth than bitter. Very creamy mouthfeel for an IPA, I like it! . I thought this was a very nice IPA that I could drink all the time.

1Adam12, Jun 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

A: deep clay orange/slight amber body, finger head, good lacing

S: peach/pineapple, deep forest pine, malt,

T: great long oily bitter pine finish

M: med body, slight sticky/oily mouth

O: Heard so much about this beer, had to get it
and try it for myself. Order it on-line and it
delivered. Great to see a fine IPA in a can
from the Great Lakes. Well done, Surly.
I will seek out this beer again and look forward
to trying more of their brews.

VERY GOOD, TRY SOME!

BeerLover99, Jun 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Canned on 4/26/2011, courtesy DearthVader
This beer is absolutely gorgeous. After pouring most of the 16oz can into my new Duvel Tulip, thanks again Brian, I am left with an immaculate 3” beige head that lingers for what seems like forever, and it leaves thick clumps of lacing and leaves behind a nice pillow of foam. The medium brown hue with a red tint is darker than most but still pretty with good clarity.
The description on the can is right on for the smell. Mostly getting pine and toffee sweetness in the nose with a bit of grapefruit. A bit weaker nose than I expected but while mild the smell is quite enjoyable.
Strong pine in the taste with an excellent malt backbone. The darker malts balance this beer perfectly. Personally I expected, and maybe could have used, a bit more bitterness but it is close to perfect. The pine and citrus fight for dominance and the resulting taste is awesome. This is one that gets better with every sip.
Medium carbonation with a decent mouthfeel, only a minor drawback to this beer.
This was my first Surly offering and it did not disappoint. Truly a great IPA.

LSUPT, Jun 08, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Poured a light amber color, nice lacing. A bit darker than your typical IPA,but appealing nonetheless
S-A touch of grapefruit and maybe...pineapple? Smell was more subtle than I was expecting, though as it warmed, it became slightly more pronounced
T/M-A touch of bitter grapefruit and malty sweetness. A decent balance. It left the palate cleanly enough.

Overall, I found this to be a very good IPA, but I think I was expecting more. It was very highly rated and perhaps my expectations were much too high for this product. Also, it should be noted that in the same month I had SN Hoptimum, Bells Two Hearted, Bells Hopslam, and Stone Arrogant Bastard. While this was a nice beer, it did not rate with the aforementioned products.

bismarksays, Jun 07, 2011

Nice extra from trade with Mid - Cheers Bro!

Notes from this past weekend:

A: This brew pours a gorgeous deep amber color with a very creamy 2 finger tan head. The can describes it as a crimson and that is pretty accurate here. Not what i was expecting at all and just drapes of lacing down the glass...so nice.

S: Pungent pineapple fruit aromas burst out of the can once popped much like the Abrasive. The pour reveals some finer citrus rind notes and a little hoppy spice too.

T: Taste is juicy sweet hoppiness! Big citrus and pine resin flavors. Malt comes in strong but is more of a smooth sticky caramel sweetness that really dries on the finish. Toffee like. A real puckering astringent bitterness and ABV's warms the chest just a tad.

M: Sticky-icky mouthfeel with an overall medium body and creamy texture. Lots of bitters that dry out the palate with a real cottonmouth effect.

D: I would say a mid level drinker and somewhat different take on an IPA. Real big flavors packed into this brew. Super hoppy which I love but a bit out of balance with the astringent mouthfeel.

Definitely a nice super hoppy brew that I would have in my fridge often if accessible. I would be glad to have again!

Nugganooch, Jun 06, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

3/29/11 date, drunk on 6/5/11 so about 2 months old. Poured the full can into a big Duvel tulip. The beer was a rich amber color, with a frothy two fingers of billowing fluffy cream colored foam. The head stuck around for awhile, clinging to the side of the glass tightly as it receded.

The smell was pleasant, but not overly intense. Light floral aroma with sweet citrus notes. The taste was a step up from the nose - sweet maltiness up front, followed by pineapple and grapefruit frutiness, finishing with a well balanced piney bitterness.

The beer had a creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel with medium-high amount of carbonation. Overall, a very tasty IPA that; if it was local & readilly available I would definately pick it up regularly.

surlytheduff, Jun 06, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Aromas begin with fruity bliss; grapefruit, orange, and pineapple hops a plenty. As it warms you get a little of the caramel/sweet maltiness but the hops are definitely dominating this brew.
The taste begins with a slight amount of caramel and sweet malts but quickly shifts to bitter grapefruit and other citrus hop flavors. I love a good IPA that is equally bitter from the hops but also has plenty of hop flavors as well. Pineapple and lemon flavors emerge as you further dive into this beauty. Caramel flavors become a little more apparent as it warms.
The mouthfeel is extremely full and mildly resiny/sticky. Adequate/appropriate carbonation, could maybe use a little more but I am nit-picking at this point. My favorite part of this brew is that it doesn't wreck your palate or linger forever.
Overall this is a great IPA because it packs the flavor of a DIPA with the drinkability/ABV of a traditional IPA, plus it comes in a 16 oz. can. I wish I could get this cheaply/locally, but alas Surly does not like NJ or NY yet. Hopefully in the future.

claspada, Jun 04, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Well Surly, we meet again! :) 16oz can poured into a regular old pint glass (near perfect fit!). Canned on date of 4/14/11.

Appearance - Somewhat red/orange golden amber color with about a finger of ever so slightly off white head that's closer to fizzy than rocky, but lasting. Leaves a nice amount of lace.

Smell - Smell is of that real pungent oily/resiny hop flavor and of citrus/grapefruit hop along with pine...almost like some of oily/sap-like hop smell. Maybe what I like about this one is some floraly/perfumy hints to it, can't quite put my finger on that one. Smell is great though. Can't keep myself from sniffing the can over and over again. Caramel or pale malt smell seems to come out a bit as well and a bit of sweetness accompanying those wonderful hops. Not as extreme smelling as Abrasive and more pine that it as well, but similarities are hard to ignore.

Taste - Taste is pine with grapefruit and bright orange, caramel backbone malt to balance it all out, sweetness (but not too much), and some bitterness like you'd expect from an IPA. Malt in there is just enough to balance it, so it's just right. Not too bitter at all. Maybe a bit of tropical fruit hops on the taste, but no where near as much as Abrasive. (I know I know, I'm comparing an IPA and a DIPA, but I can't help it).

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel seems to be one of the smoother of the IPAs I've had. For the ABV, I expected it to be a bit more crisp. Finish sort of sticks to your mouth, coating with a nice wet film. The carbonation is medium/round, and the body is a medium as well. Not the easiest drinking IPA, but good.

Overall - I think this is another great offering from Surly and another great IPA. Not quite my favorite IPA but very good. I'd certainly have a bunch of this in my fridge nearly always if I lived in Minnesota. Initially thought this was closer to a 3.5. Sipping on it and contemplating leads me to change my mind. It's a 4.0 overall. Granted I feel some IPAs are better, but those that I think are better than this would get a 4.5 overall from me.

matttttYCE, Jun 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Got a few cans of this from a trade with TheDudeRules. Thanks Mike. Drank back in March.

A- Copper orange with an off white head. Great head retention that leaves a nice lacing.

S- Huge floral notes with a lot of citrus as well, mainly grapfruit..there is also some piney-ness. There are some slight caramel notes as well.

T- Grapefruit is dominant with a very piney finish. The finish doesnt linger too long either which is awesome and keeps me comming back for more. Its very cirtusy, with some orange peel in there as well. The citurs is followed by a LIGHT caramel malt and prehaps some brown sugar.

M- Light to medium body with very awesome carbonation. Its smooth all the way around which makes for a very crisp and drinkable beer. Its really smooth.

O- The hops and malts are balanced perfectly, just enough malts so that you can taste it but not enough where it overpowers the hop bitternes at all. The piney after taste leaves you with a bitter, crisp finish that doesnt linger for too long and before you know it you have finished an entire 16 oz. can and your goin back for more. Really great beer and I wish I had easier access to it.

MikeyMikee, Jun 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to UMNbeerhunter for sending me this one!

Canned on what I believe says 3/5/11 on the bottom of the can.

Pours a hazy dark amber color with a 1 inch off-white head that fades to a small cap. Nice distinct rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smells of citrus zests and pine trees. A very fresh and delicious smell. Taste is very hop forward with citrus zest and pine needles that fades into a semi-sweet caramel/malt flavor. Medium hop bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. The beer has a mild carbonation level which makes it very smooth and a bit thick. Overall, this is a great IPA and my first from Surly. I like their phrase on the can "Beer for a glass, from a can". I am looking forward to the other Surly cans I have yet to try.

UCLABrewN84, Jun 01, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks for getting a couple of these for me schmoopsbeer!

Can dated 2/10/11

Consumed 5/27/11

A- Pour produces a 1-1/2 finger head that recedes to a nice crown with nice lacing. Beer is golden-amber in color with a off white head. There is a decent amount of sediment floating around. Maybe because of the pour. In any case it looks good.

S- beautiful hop aroma that is accompanied by a nice malt backbone. Grapefruit, pine, orange, peach, orange zest, and some caramel malt. Very nice smelling

T- Bitter upfront that is soon balanced by a nice slight sweet malty taste. Hints of pine, a lot of grapefruit, orange, and a nice caramel malt balance. no alcohol presence. The hop flavor is very nice on this one though I wish I had a fresher one as the hops may have faded a bit. They seem a bit "muted".

M- Excellent mouthfeel. Good carbonation and and medium body

O- Highly drinkable. Another excellent beer from Surly. They are quickly becoming a brewery that is one of my favorites. Thank you Surly!

t420o, May 30, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Dark amber with a nice white head.

S - Can you say hops! Citrus and pine flow through the nose.

T - Pine and grapefruit rush. Nice malt finish. Covers the spectrum quite well.

M - Such an excellent medium body. Feels like you should be chewing.

O - A fantastic IPA. Easy to take for granted how easily we can get something this good on tap. Not to rub it in.

djsmith1174, May 28, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks GoldenJet for more Surly goodness!

A- Dark amber, nice lacing on the glass, one finger fluffy head.

S - Citrus hops, grapefruit, a little pine, and damn the hops!!!

T - Oh wow, this has a full array of hops. Pine, citrus, hops hops hops. Surprisingly solid malt backbone as well. Damn this is tasty!

M - Sticky, chewy, and I love it. Medium carbonation and feels great.

O - Wow I love this stuff! Only a few weeks old and it shows! Fantastic IPA!!! I would be happy if Surly distributed only this... to my house :)

Bennettrox, May 27, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A- 4 Pours a nice looking rusty amber color with a big fluffy 1.5 finger beige head. There are big bubbles lining the glass and it is sticking all over.

S- 4.5 Very pungent on the nose, I get fairly big hops and pine primarily. It seems fresh and likely to be thirst quenching. There's a bit of a malty undertone as well. Really good aroma.

T- 4 This tastes of a full circle of hops. Piney hops coat my mouth up front then through the sip there's a little caramel malt... The finish is pure hop oil and it is slightly bitter. I like it though it isn't as complex as I'd have imagined.

M- 4 This is crisp and has a nice medium body with good carbonation. It feels pretty good through the drink but it leaves me dryer than I'd like. It is extremely dry at times.

D- 4 I certainly enjoyed this big hoppy brew, and could put down a couple of the pint cans for sure. I loved the aroma, and the flavor - although I found it a bit one-dimensional - was very solid as well. The dryness of this one would keep me from wanting to sip it all night, but that's not to say it isn't a good and tasty brew and even session worthy for others... Much thanks to Preismj for sharing this with me.

KYBrewgrass, May 26, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

From can into a Crate and Barrel snifter. Canned on 2/1/11

A - Pours a semi-clear reddish amber with two fingers of off white foamy head that dissipates quickly leaving behind some lacing.

S - Amarillo and Simcoe hops dominate the aroma of this amazing beer. Its not fruity or piney. Its HOPPY. It smells just like the hop pouches smell when i'm brewing. There is a hint of sweetness from the malt but its rather faint to me.

T - Although its a few months old, the hops may have faded a tad, but not much at all. A tad on bitter end as the hops dominate. The flavor has some grassy elements with a touch of malt sweetness to really balance out this flavor profile.

M - Medium body with decent carbonation. The finish is rather bitter and dry.

O - This is another great beer from Surly. I really enjoyed it and would buy it often as a go to pale ale. The hops steal the show here as they did in Abrasive. Extremely drinkable..

dubinsky, May 25, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

A: This is a bit darker for an IPA has a red hue and some good carbonation

S: Massive hops and that is all I can really detect from this beer.

T: Taste is strong and bitter, delicious! If I were tasting this blind I would think it was a DIPA. Very refreshing and crisp. The low(er) ABV makes this a perfect summer brew.

M: Thin and smooth with a nice prickly carbonation.

O: I think this is a great beer from a great brewery!

Alpar, May 23, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Can dated 4/26/11 poured into a pint glass. Thanks KeefD for sending a 4-pack of this my way - I've been wanting to try it for awhile.

A - The beer pours a hazy, dark amber color with a fluffy off-white head. Good head retention and moderate lacing. I was quite surprised when I poured this beer as it was much darker than I was expecting.

S - The smell is mainly dominated by citrusy and fruity hops - zesty grapefruit, pineapple, and pine. The hop notes are backed by a nice slightly sweet pale malt. No alcohol present in the nose.

T - Large amounts of piney hops hit you up front with a moderate bitterness. The malt really helps round this one out and keeps it from becoming too bitter. Caramel and toffee-like tones are present from the malt. Dry aftertaste with a lingering light oily hop resin. No presence of alcohol.

M - High medium body with a medium carbonation.

O - Overall, I thought this was a fantastic brew and one that I'd quickly turn to all summer long if it was available locally. Very drinkable. I've only had a few of their offerings, but I've yet to be letdown by Surly.

kevinv, May 23, 2011