Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,420
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance- Cloudy caramel color with a nice thick, dirty white head.
Lots of lacing on this one.

Smell- Hell yea! Grassy hops and grapefruit all over the place. I detect some pineapple as well. I could smell this all night long.

Taste- Lots of pineapple and citrusy grapefruit. If you give it a min there are crazy bittering hops left on your tounge after each sip. Wow. There is a little malt in the background, but gets more prominent as it warms.

Mouthfeel- This is a bit thick for an IPA, but good, nonetheless. There is a lot of malt character in this part.

Drinkability- very good. I wish this was available closer to me. I would buy this often.

The only other Surly beer I have had so far has been Coffee Bender and I didn't care for it to much, but this one is very good. Thank to Hopsbreath for giving this to me for no apparent reason. He will get his, though. Yes... he will get his. Thanks Jason.

MADhombrewer, Dec 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a rich deep amber with a solid finger of tannish head that leaves some sticky lacing as it fades. Darker than your average IPA, but still very nice looking.

Aroma is just heavenly, predominately piney hops but some citrus gets in there as well as some caramel. A very well balanced aroma that screams IPA, but in a very enjoyable way.

Taste is equally as balanced with lots of bitter resinous hops, but then the caramel sweetness comes to the rescue to even up the score a bit. Some dough and hints of citrus are also noticeable.

Light to medium in body but it is a little sticky. Lots of prickly carbonation in there as well. This is a classic IPA that is not to be missed.

321jeff, Dec 14, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

There's nothing else to say about Surly's Furious than it is a hell of a well-built IPA. But I'll try.

The appearance is hazy and dark amber for an IPA. Great head, good lacing that maintains. It smells of subdued piney hops and several malts. The taste is hop forward, and finishes with hop bitters, but drinks very smooth through the tongue while the malts peak.

It's made exactly the way that I want an IPA to be made for me, almost tailored. Carbonation is good, and that makes its medium body even stronger. Low enough alcohol to be highly drinkable, but high enough so that you don't have to overdrink just to feel a buzz. This is a damn-near perfect beer.

If only I didn't have to trade from Minnesota for it...

afksports, Dec 12, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

16 oz Can poured into Glass

A - Careful but speedy pour produced 2-3 fingers of head. Head dissipated within a few minutes. The color is a dark orange-amber.

S - Most notably i smell citrus and hops. Very sweet and fantastic smelling IPA.

T - I taste a fair amount of citrus for an IPA which I like. I definitely taste some grapefruit. The bitterness of the grapefruit and hops work perfectly together. Some slight caramel notes in the background.

M - Medium carbonation. Not too much or too little, just the right amount. The delicious citrus hops combination lingers in your mouth for a while.

D - I could drink this beer all day and not be sick of it.

TheDudeBeers, Dec 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

16oz can poured into Maudite tulip.

This deep copper beer forms an incredible rocky white head that stays with the beer as it is consumed. Distinct hop bitterness dominates the nose with some grapefruit and a touch of sweetness. This is definitely one of the best IPAs I have ever tasted. Piney, resiny, fruity taste with a great balance of malt and not too sweet. Semi dry mouth with excellent balance, a touch sticky. Man, I wish this would be a local to me, I'd buy it all the time.

OakedCanuck, Dec 12, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to ScoobyDank for sending some Surly love

A- Pours a nice thick two finger head. Had some pretty thick lacing. Beautiful amber color. I would say this is one of the better looking IPA beers.

S- Sweet citrus a hint of pine with some grapefruit aromas. Very pleasing to the nose. It may have a small bit of caramel in the nose, but definitely more hop forward smell wise...Very enjoyable

T- Citrusy hops with a slight bit of maltiness. Overall a nice taste.

M- Medium amount of carbonation with a silky finish to the beer. A resiness aftertaste if I had any complaint

D- Overall a great beer. Wish I could get my hands on this more often. Could easily have this as my go to session beer.

Patchmaster, Dec 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Beer from a can meant for a glass!

Thanks to DeschutesNut for throwing this in as a trade extra.

Poured from the can into my tulip glass!
Looks as beautiful as any West coast ipa I've ever seen. A nice orange/amber color. Some nice foamy white head with good retention.... later it gives a fantastic spider lacing that should prove annoying to clean up.

Smell instantly reminds me of Pliny the Elder. Huge Pine notes followed by some less pronounced citrus and a little bit of grassy character. Smells like a good West coast style, although not quite as aromatic as some of the better IPAs I've had. It's definitely pleasing.

Tastes like it smells. Hits you hard, you can really tell this thing is high on the IBUs, but it's not bittering in a negative way. The big pine character dominates the palate, and it tastes delicious. Some citrus, mainly grapefruit flavor comes in midway to sweeten things up, and then it ends with a little bit of malt and a grassy note.

Mouthfeel/drinkability seems good, but most probably wouldn't want to have more than 1 or 2 due to the palate wrecking flavor.

One of my favorite IPAs and I feel that it competes with the big dogs.

I wish I could get my hands on some Surly out west!

Estocker, Dec 07, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

My second Surly! Big thanks to chewy08rx.

Opens with a huge, soapy white head. Liquid is a radiant copper color and that massive head leaves behind heavy lacing.

Nose is full of big alpha hops and pine needles. There's also a dash of citrus in there, if you sniff around for a while.

Flavor packs a malt backbone while maintaining a robust and scratchy hop-induced conclusion. Taste is very grassy and floral, making it seem natural and organic.

Mouth is smooth and creamy up front followed by a fresh, medicinal hop bite. The strong hopping tingles on the tongue, leaving behind a certain spiciness.

This is a genius IPA with a bold hop flavor that doesn't exchange balance for strength. Drinking more is simply a nice way to unravel all of its complexities.

deapokid, Dec 05, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Surly is one of those breweries I wish was out here so I could drink Furious and Abrasive all the time. Pours a golden orange with a sizeable white bubbly head. The nose is one of those that you can get about a foot away from the glass, exactly how I like it. Loaded with c-hops. Taste exceeds expectations. Giant pine and white grapefruit first, followed by a movement of pineapple and caramel notes, and finishing pretty dry with some bitterness on the sides of the mouth. Wow! Feel is wonderful, and the drinkability is good, I'd want more than one but your buds would be ruined after more. Excellent IPA, worthy of the hype. Maybe the best IPA I've had that was not brewed out west.

squaremile, Dec 04, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass

A - Deep amber in color, light pour yields a nice cream colored 2 finger head which thins leaving light lacing

S - Big piney hops, grapefuit, sweet citrus

T - The first time I tasted this beer I felt that the name described the taste best, FURIOUS! It has a taste/bite like no other IPA ive ever tried. Follows the nose at first with grapefruit, citrus, and hop notes up front. finishes with a nice caramel flavor.

M - Smooth, light carbonation feel, resinous aftertaste

D - Big hop profile and resinous feel makes you want to keep on sipping.

Overall, very tasty stuff, one of my favorite IPAs but I can only have a couple in one sitting just because there is SO much flavor. This IPA is like no other i've tried, in a good way. I highly recommend trying it if you have access to it (Minnesota folk).

SurlyMe, Nov 30, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

a - poured a two-fingers thick creamy tan head into a tulip glass that left great lacing and thick sheeting throughout. the body was a bright and dark amber color. if there is a better looking AIPA then i haven't seen it.
s - strong citrus and grapefruit aroma with a hint of pine and some spiciness. there is also just the faintest hint of caramel or toffee.
t - piney hops with a hint of caramel/toffee.
m - creamy and smooth. terrific.
d - great beer and one of the best, if not the best AIPA i've had.

GPHarris, Nov 29, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this in a trade earlier this week, thanks Joe!

Poured into a shaped pint glass with an amber colored clear body that had a frothy white head with great retention and lacing. Smells of grapefruit and pine mostly but with a good floral hop background, too. Nice and fruity but balanced with a hint of sweet buttery malts. Taste is just like I bit into a grapefruit covered in pine needles, I love it. Bitter, resiny and juicy hops give way to a biscuity malt bill that is sweet enough to take the edge off but doesn't interfere enough to make the hops completely fade away. High carbonation and an oily slick body that is medium to thin but still coats pretty well. Drinks wonderfully, I would love to have this one on the shelves in Boston. Even my Dad, who hates bitter IPAs, had a sip and loved this beer.

kbanks13, Nov 25, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Furious pours a full amber cherry color, slightly hazy with a huge fluffy off-white sea foam head. Nice retention, and lace sticks all over the glass on the way down.

Smell: Boom! Tons of caramel malt, grapefruit, and piney hops... just when I crack the can open. When I get down in it, the hops have some herbal character, but the pine is still the most dominant.

Taste: Furious just knocks my socks off - this is what I want an IPA to be. Sweet buttery toffee and caramel up front. Spicey pine provides an intro to the hop profile. Juicy grapefruit and pineapple, then more pine. Some sweetness comes back at the end to finish relatively clean.

Mouthfeel: Great huge hops create a tingling sensation on the tongue. The right level of carbonation gives it a creamy feel, almost buttery. The hops make it juicy. The only thing that really detracts from the feel is that a little hop oil remains on the tongue and some stickiness stays on the lips after each sip.

Drinkability: Give me this all the time. Could Abrasive be better than this?

KickInTheChalice, Nov 24, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Copper colored with a massive sticky off-white head. Lot's of lace sticks to the sides of the glass. Smells like a citrus fruit bowl and buttermilk biscuits. It's different, but I like it. Huge abrasive hops abuse the taste buds. Lot's of citrus and piney flavors with hints of caramel. Full mouthfeel with sharp hoppiness. Easy drinker for the hopheads. Probably not the best IPA I've ever had but it's a very good one.

wcudwight, Nov 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed on 20 November 2010. Much thanks to Lenny1203 for this beer.

Poured a pint of this between two 10oz snifters, tasting with a family member. This began with a 1-finger head, reducing to a super-thin layer of head. Color is a slightly cloudy red-stricken orange, with that familiar Surly lacing: very small bubbles, yet this lacing was not as impressive....it was a little runny. The aroma hops are so very similar to Ithaca's Cascazilla, which I believe is a barrage of cascade hops. Nonetheless, the hops are wonderful and fresh. Other aromas include fresh pine needles, citrus (more toward orange than lemon), and malts of an English nature. Something is a little spicy on the nose. The taste is quite malty-sweet with fresh bittering hops, and a deep toffee flavor (and no caramel as specified on the can). A deep, delightful bitterness sticks around the roof of the mouth. Carbonation is light. Fantastic IPA!

ToAzwethinkweizm, Nov 20, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance- Pours a clear light amber with a two finger creamy head. Good retention, great lace.

Smell- Hops, a great blend of pine and citrus.

Taste- Incredible. Fruity citrus hops up front, balanced with a nice caramel malt. A bit of resinous pine on the finish. Bitter but not drying.

Mouthfeel- medium body and carbonation, very smooth.

Overall- I have had this on draft too many times to count. Just as good out of the can, about 3 months on this one, so still fresh. Seek this out, buy it, trade for it!

JLeege, Nov 19, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 1 pint can dated 10/26/2010 into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Big thanks to surlytwinsfan for giving me this in a trade!

A - Pours a hazy orange, amber color with a one finger, eggshell white color head. Some nice sticky hop resin lacing is present as well.

S - Great aroma here. Fruity notes of citrus fruits; grapefruit, lemon, orange right out front. Some great leafy, piney hops hot you right with the fruit notes. Really great and bold hop presence.

T - WOW! Really tremendous hop flavors all over the place. Extremely fresh pine and fruity notes from the obviously extremely fresh hops. Flavors of bitter pine and spiciness mix incredibly well with fruity flavors of grapefruit and lemon. Very nice malt backbone to this rounds it out to be one of the better IPA's I have had.

M - Very creamy and smooth, with just enough bite from the carbonation. Slightly less sticky hop resin feel than I would have expected, but it all comes together nicely. Medium bodied, but more towards the lighter end of the spetrum.

D - Dangerously drinkable at onbly 6.20% ABV. Easily one of the more drinkable IPA's out there. Really wish I had about 23 more of these, but one was all I needed to try it!

KAP1356, Nov 17, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

This was the first time I have had this beer so I only had word of mouth on what to expect.

Poured the beer into a mug.

A: It had a really nice dark tan color to it with minimal head.

S: The aroma had an incredible sweet citrus scent with a nice subtle hops smell to it.

T: The hops and sweetness combined perfectly on the first drink and every one after that.

M: There was a very nice and pleasant hoppy aftertaste to it that I usually dont care for but it definetly worked here.

D: It may have been my first time having this beer but it definetly will not be the last. Drikability is great with this one.

scanny79, Nov 17, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Acadia Cafe

Poured a rich amber with a frothy white head that quickly faded into a nice lacing down the glass.

The aroma was citrus --- pink grapefruit, orange and lemon zest --- and pine. Just a hint of bready malt in the nose.

The flavor followed the nose but oh so bitter. The taste was crisp and dry with a lingering bitter in the end. The middle was held up well by the bready and biscuity malt, but only slightly. This is a very hop forward IPA.

Oily hop resins with just the right amount carbonation to hold up the bitter hops.

This would definitely be in my regular rotation if it were distributed in Seattle.

BuckeyeOne, Nov 17, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

It's good. Not great. Not sure about some of the hype. My opinion.
A: Very dark for an ipa of this strength (dark amber). Could see this from a huge double... Good head with some retention. Color is slightly alarming...
S: Excellent piney hop aromas. Very distinct and very savory.
T: Hop-centric for sure. Could use more mid palate richness to round it out. The pointed hops with some lack of malt balance makes this drink fairly thin though it does have substance.
M: Fairly thin seemingly though i think the hops merely lend to that impression. Nothing fantastic here, but solid with excellent crispness and texture.
D: Totally drinkable, a good enough that you want another.
Not one I'd seek out again, but thank you bechel! It's a very good beer I was excited to try from a brewery I've been craving.

oregone, Nov 16, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Medium copper, orange and slight yellow converge to create my favorite shade of IPA. Hop haze is killer. There is a big 2 finger fluffy, creamy, light beige head that leaves loads of tight-knit spiderwebs down the glass.

Aroma is jammed packed with citrus, and floral hops, slightly spicy, with a hint of malt sweetness on the back end.

Bitter, bitter bitter! It lingers, moving to citrus and tropical fruits, maybe even the slightest hint of banana. The finish is still stark bitter, but there is a nice malt touch to end it. Perfect balance, and perfect intensity.

The feel is crisp, but velvety and creamy. It's medium in body, but towards the lower end. The feel is very good.

I think the ABV is perfect, this is an excellent IPA, and I don't think it gets too much more drinkable than this. This thing destroys, but oh so beautifully does it!

EgadBananas, Nov 16, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance- Beautiful caramel color that is what I expect whenever I try an IPA.

Aroma- Simply put, Amazing! When you pop one of these cans the room fills with a wonderful smell that makes everyone within a 50 foot vicinity float immediately in your direction. So much fresh pine and citrus come off this beer that you feel transported to an evergreen forest populated by sliced grapefruits!

Taste- Nice and hoppy! The hops come through on the nose, taste, and aftertaste. They don't overpower the beer the way some IPAs and DIPAs do, but they are very present and make this a beer to dream about. A nice clean bitterness is all that remains behind after a can of Furious.

Mouthfeel- Simple, light, just a touch thinner than I would like if I am being picky.

Drinkability- If I didn't have to drive 7 hours or trade to get this beer regularly I would drink a 4-pack on the daily! As it is it is hard to stop at 2.

This is my favorite IPA, period. Don't take my low review count into account here since I have only recently given in to the temptation of reviewing and have tried almost all of the top rated IPAs on this site.

cadaugherty, Nov 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Pint can as an extra from forgetfu, had before but not reviewed. Thanks man, been wanting to try it again!

Pours a slightly hazed golden orange with hints of amber, a finger of head is enough to leave some spots of lacing down the glass.

Smell is quite tropical and sweet, hint of leafy hops, grapefruit, lemon, candied oranges.

Hops come out in the taste more leafy, really green and pungent. Tropical fruits, grapefruit, a lot less bitterness that I expected/remembered, more moderate. Sticky pale malts, caramel sweetness. This beer is all about the hops, loads of bang without too much bitterness... I'd actually kind of desire a bit more bite. Still, this beer is fantastic in the way the hops are so fresh, vibrant and juicy. Those Minnesota boys got it good...

ritzkiss, Nov 14, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks goes out to Bamadog for hooking me up with this months ago for a tasting

A - orange color with a white head that doesn't hang around long.

S - Citrus just lashes out at you from even a foot away from the glass. Wow. Hoppy, fruity, and just amazing to smell.

T - This may be the greatest IPA on the face of the earth. The taste is amazing. Just fantastic hops coming through and the malt flavor really peaks kjust at the right time. Wow.

M - Very intense and a bit towards the heavier carbonation. Not a bad thing. Just a bit more than expected

D - If I can get several cases of this, I'd be a happy man. Wow. I'm furious I can't get this close to home!

beerman207, Nov 14, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pour dark for an IPA of this caliper. Rustic orange with a large white-capped head. The head is firm and refuses to dissipate past 1in thickness.

S: Furious is loaded with super piny and citrus hop aroma explosions. Backed with a sweet caramel malt presence.

T: The flavor is simply up there with the best IPAs on the top 100. This is a final example to beer drinkers and brewers alike as to what a world class IPA should taste like. Fresh distinct bitter hop flavors of grape fruit and pine with a smoothing malt backbone that adds notes of toffee with a small amount of roast.

MF: Mouthfeel is full, rich, creamy. Carbonation tickles the tongue. This thing is a beauty.

D: Drinkability is outstanding. There is no undesirable hop reminisce left on the tongue. This brew is refreshing and pallet clenching.

TKEbeerman, Nov 11, 2010