Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,434
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

From notes...

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper colour, finger of head with solid retention and some nice sheeting lacing.

S - Slightly musty citrus and earthy pine notes with a caramel finish.

T - The bitterness comes strongly off the top, but it finishes surprisingly sweet. The citrus, pine and earthy cedar come through nicely alongside the caramel notes.

M - Great carbonation that makes it easily drinkable and finishes with a touch of dryness.

O - Great example of the style, easily drinkable and very flavourful. Surly is certainly living up to the hype and my next trip will consist of a solid haul of this stuff.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pint can poured into a Samuel Smith oversized nonic. Thanks Aaron!

A: Pours dark (for an IPA) coppery-gold with traces of amber, filtered, with a big rocky off-white head that leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

S: Pungent hop oil and bitterness in the form of pine, grapefruit, and tropical fruits. There is a light sweet malt presence, combined with the hops it smells like caramely pineapple and a very small amount of alcohol.

T: Follows the nose, pungent and pithy, high bitterness upfront and on the middle of the tongue with puckering dryness. Lots of piney herbal hop oil and a dry biscuity malt presence underneath.

MF: Wet, light-medium mouthfeel, light carbonation, lingering dryness.

O: A really good IPA, reminds me a lot of some West Coast offerings. Lots of pine, good bitterness and dryness, pretty drinkable, refreshing.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a pint-sized can into a Pig's Eye Pub pint glass. Thanks, Durge!

A: Nice, medium-copper color with a tinge of orange and a slight chilled haze beneath a thin and sudsy veil of foam that settles to a soapy coating, leaving behind wine-like legs.

S: Big, bold, roasted and herbal hop leaves that sweat resins (almost sweaty-skunky smelling even) and also denote a lot of fruity ale aromas.

T: Sweet, fruity malt up front that has a little bit of roasted caramel corn and earthy, chocolate and cocoa flavors. A juicy hop bite sinks in early with sharp hop bitterness and a sweet, citrusy resin. The finish is brash and sticky, with loads of hop resins and a hint of alcohol sting in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied and stickier in the finish than anywhere else. Nice hop and alcohol burn in the aftertaste.

O: A very good American IPA, although this can has traveled a bit and weathered some time. The 6.2% ABV feels more robust behind the fire of those 99 IBUs. Enough malty flavors to balance out the hop onslaught. A satisfying IPA and much appreciated to have it outside the great state of MN.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Received in trade with BeerEngineer89 - Thanks a lot, T!

Poured from can into pint glass. Dated 8/18/11

A - Pours very dark for an IPA. Copper in color. Nice big tan head develops with a rather tame pour. Great retention. Little visible carbonation.

S - Wow. That is beautiful. It is subtle, but intense at the same time. Fresh tropical citrus, pineapple is a star of the show. A shallow pine aroma is present. Plenty of malt sweetness in the background, with caramel present.

T - First comes plenty of pineapple, with pine and some malt sweetness to follow. Incredibly well balanced. Not at all too bitter. Leaves the mouth with a clean caramel sweetness accented by a touch of bitter hop.

M - Smooth as silk. Medium bodied. So velvety smooth, it slides down the throat and leaves just the tiniest hint of a flare of carbonation at the tail end. What an incredible feel.

O - Overall this is really quite fantastic. I'm very glad to have two cans in my possession. At two months old I was a touch worried about the hops, but they still show up in droves. I think the shipping may have futzed with the carbonation, though -- it drinks like a hand-pulled cask ale.

EDIT: Perusing some other reviews I fear the hops may have faded a touch in this can. I don't consider this to have much of a grassy character to speak of.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

First of all: Massive thanks to quirkzoo for sending me home with this.

Poured from a can into a goblet. "Born on" date clearly stamped on the bottom of the can.

A soft pours yields two fingers of lush, thick, off-white head that lasts with tenacious stickiness and does more than leave lace on the glass; it crusts the glass with foam. The body of this beer is very nearly amber, but still has some of the classic orange highlights so often seen in IPAs.

My first whiff displays mint, fresh basil, mountain pine, and a touch of lemongrass. I am already intrigued at the lack of pineapple and citrus and the presence of the mint/pine/basil aspects of the textured hop-aroma spectrum. Some swirling brings more citrus and pineapple to the surface. This smells like it is going to be good.

The flavor is addicting. I usually begin by taking one sip and thinking about it, but with this beer I just kept drinking and had to remind myself I was in the middle of a review. Anyway, the hops are slightly less clear-cut and stark as I expected, but nonetheless this is a wonderful IPA. Malt does show up in the flavor and reminds me that this is still an IPA, not a DIPA. The hops are vibrant and lush, and let their complexity tease the tongue as the flavor moves from the beginning all the way to the aftertaste, which is sweeter and displays a bit more malt than in the middle. The continuity of the hop flavors is outstanding. A large swath of the hop-flavor spectrum in contained in this beer.

The mouthfeel is also outstanding. The carbonation is compact
and the body is on the full side of medium.

Conclusion: This is one of the best American style IPAs I have ever tried. Sierra Nevada Celebration, Great divide Titan, and Nugget Nectar come to mind as others in this league. To date, this is the best IPA I have tried from a can.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

A - slightly hazy deep copper, tall tan head with fantastic retention
S - citrus, pine, and earthiness, light caramel
T - surprised by the strong earthy woodiness, pine and grapefruit hoppiness is more subtle, healthy sweet toffee maltiness
M - medium body with a serious hop bitter that sticks to the roof of the mouth
O - an in your face IPA that delivers on its name, tasty and true but probably not for sessioning

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

16 oz. can poured into a British pint glass. Many thanks to biglobo8971 for sending me this incredible box of Surly!

Appearance - Dark amber body topped by a small, but pretty off-white head. Head retention isn't great, but the lacing is sexy. All over the sides of the glass with wisps and pillows floating on the surface. Very dark for an IPA. I worry it's going to be a malt bomb.

Smell - My worries are abated by a pungent aroma of pine hops. Nice grassy hops dominate with a hint of citrus behind. The malt is definitely present, but it's very much a biscuit malt and doesn't come off as sweet smelling at all.

Taste - The taste is even better. Strong hop flavor up front with a tinge of grassiness. No sweetness, I am thrilled to report. Toasted malts and a touch of caramel for support, but it's all a vehicle for the hops. Spicy and bitter in the finish. Is there rye in this?

Mouthfeel - The malt content does make it heavier than a standard IPA, but the hops excuse that. Bitter in the finish and great carbonation.

Overall - As an unabashed west-coast IPA fiend, I am surprised that this is as good as it is. I was prepared to be disappointed when I saw it, but the hop flavor delivers and the hefty malt backbone does not interfere. This may be my favorite IPA between Vermont and California...

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass to smell the sweet hop aroma! (Thanks to Todd for the hookup!)

Nice golden color with a thick head--moderate carbonation.

Typical IPA smell but maybe a little lit for the style.

Taste was magnificent. A very easy to drink ale.

Mouthfeel was right on. Had a very prickly amount of carbonation. I was surprised at how long the head was retained. Nice malt flavor down the back of the throat.

A solid IPA. I have been eagerly anticipating drinking this offering from Surly as it is a legendary IPA craved by most of the country. Glad I live within driving distance. I was not disappointed. Surly delivered on my expectation and I will gladly enjoy again.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a tulip. Appears a nice amber to orange color with a nice ruby red touch as well. The head is solid with nice off-white coloration. Great lacing is left on the glass. Some of the best, thickest lacing I've seen in a while.

Nose is wonderful. Smells just like an IPA should. The hops are overpowering. Lots of citrus, and some pine come through. There's even a hint of sweetness. The taste is full of citrus, pine and earthiness with a great malt backbone. Good caramel malts. The taste is less hop-dominated, but everything works together very, very well.

Mouthfeel is just over medium bodied, and there's a nice film left in your mouth after each sip. Good carbonation and this goes down easily. Overall, this is an amazing brew. Maybe it was just my break from IPA's but this blew me away. Everything fits together perfectly. Definitely worth seeking out.

On Tap at the Muddy Pig in St Paul

A- A rich brownish copper color, visible swirls and currents of hop oils. A moderate tan head, retains well. Not a lot of lacing though.

S- Holy cow, this thing reeks of hops. There is also, miraculously a little whiff of malts too. Really, there is so much boiled hop note, and top fermented hop that its hard to pick anything out. It's just filthy with hops and I love it.

T- For all the nasal ruckus it calms down into a very strong, but smooth IPA. Lots of cut-grass and citrus hop, with a little bit of a piny note. Sitting on top of a firm cracker malt base, and a big kick of bitterness on a very wet finish. This is a well executed hop-bomb.

M- perfect carbonation, but I actually think it might be just a hair better if it was a little less watery. it drinks a bit thin... not a flaw, but a character trait.

O- Great lower-alcohol example of a hops induced roller-coaster of a a beer. Finishes on a high note. Nicely done Minnesota, you've got a great AIPA. Keep up the good work, us west-coasters need a reminder every now and then that we arent the only ones that do hops with style.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

poured from a can into a pint glass...

pours a nice, dark amber, letting little light through. tops with a thick, creamy tan head that lasts and lasts.

the smell is great - hoppy with a hint of sweetness and grapefruit.

the taste, at first, didn't seem to match the appearance and smell. I was expecting something big and brash, but it - literally and figuratively - fell flat. there was little carbonation happening (though that may be due to shipment of the can?), and this impacted the taste, for me. though the aftertaste was solid.

overall, I expected more here, but I'm going to try it again in a couple of weeks on a trip to the Twin Cities, so I may re-review it then.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Big thanks to thewimperoo for sending me a couple of these as extras in a trade....much appreciated!

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy ruby color with nice caramel-orange highlights. About 1" of light tan colored head forms, which has excellent retention and lacing. Excellent looking brew.

Smell: A deep, sweet maltiness is what strikes me first. Following is a hop character that is very dank and resiny, along with a lesser amount of citrus.

Taste: Caramel malts up front, with some citrus towards the middle. Dank, resiny hops on the back end. Extremely nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied, with awesome fine carbonation. Drinks extremely nicely. Overall, this was more balanced than I was expecting; I tend to like citrusy hop bombs more, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I would not put this on the level of Abrasive, but it's still a damn solid IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a beautiful clear copper. Big extremely persistent head. Great lacing. Huge hop aroma. Herbal- like standing in the herb garden herbal. Piney. Awesome. Like the smell of fresh hops- really evocative of homebrewing taking a big smell of the hops before adding them to the wort. This is an IPA with a big malt backbone. Toffee and caramel balance out all the fresh hops. Piney and herbal. Somehow it all combines very well. A little citrus and bitter grapefruit. Great hop flavor. Pleasant lingering bitterness in the finish but overall relatively low bitterness. Well carbonated, medium bodied- actually maybe a bit light bodied relative to other IPAs. Makes it a little more sessionable though. Overall- really awesome. A really unique and great IPA. I've brewed a clone brew of this (I've also done a couple batches of Bender) so I'm obviously something of a Surly fan even though I get this rarely. Just getting around to reviewing it now. I really want reasonably priced cases of this (and other Surly) in Western PA!

Furious is a great beer. You can really smell the I.B.U's in this beer and has a smell like it is fresh of the boil kettle. I love I.P.A's and Furious has one of the best taste I have had. This beer has a great finish and whether from a can or the tap tastes great!

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

(A) Pours a really dark honey color, almost a light amber. Has a great off white head that lingers for a long while.

(S) Definitely get grapefruit, citric notes, some pine, earthy wet grass, hops and a slight bit of honey.

(T) Orange and hops hit you first-most. The malt base is apparent and gives a bit of sweetness and fullness to the beer. The perfume type of taste and the nice bitterness of the hops help to balance out the sweetness and give it a great hop punch. The hops give way at the end and you are left with citric rind and a bit of honey in the aftertaste.

(M) Medium body. Bitter and oily. Coats the moth quite well.

(O) I love Surly and have yet to have a beer from them that I don't like. This beer is solid and something I can put down at any time. One of my favorite IPAs.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Ap- pours a deep copper amber color, not quite clear but almost. A nice 1 inch head slowly fades down to just some surface head.

Ar- Most difinetely piney and citrusy. The malt smells roasty and the caramel comes out a little too.

T- starts off with the scottish malts and then BAM you get hit with a whallop of piney hops. Right before the hops really start to kick in the caramel comes through. The aftertaste gives you a nice dose of oily hoppness.

M- good carbo, a bit thicker than most IPAs but not in a bad way.

O- what can I say, I love this stuff. I have been drinking Furious for years but this is my first actual review of it. Try this stuff, you won't be sorry.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A: dark amber, copper orange, a bit hazy, big head recedes to about 1/2 an inch, decent amount of lacing....a bit different for an ipa

S: hops, like a freshly open hop packet, big beautiful citrus notes, but also the caramel malt makes its presence known, which surprisingly is pleasant....a novel IPA nose

T: citrusy fruit notes of hops with a very pleasant sweetness provided by the caramel malt. once again, I really like this beer, though if it were described to me I probably wouldn't reach for it first.

M: a bit thick, but good.

D: excellent, mainly because of the abv and the outstanding hop flavor. Finding a hoppy beast at 6.2 is a difficult feat

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

poured from a pint can into stella glass.

a- pours a clear amber/orange with a thick creamy head that doesnt fade too quickly. right on par for the style

s- big amounts of hops, both bitter and piney as well as a nice tropical fruit. a bit of malty caramel sweetness as well.

t- taste follows the nose, starts with lots of hops, piney at first, then more sweet and tropical, the malt adds a nice balance. a bit of bitter aftertaste lingers. very drinkable and tasty

m- very nice feel to this beer. crisp, not too heavy bodied, slightly oily and resiny. again, very drinkable.

I am a big fan of this brew. a great local beer with some cool schtick (making the awesome cans) and reasonably price. also, delicious beer.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Some fluffy offwhite head with some lace, golden amber hazy body.

Mango hop nose, with some honey.

Hoppy taste, along with the same mango from the nose. Pretty pungent.

Pleasant mouthfeel, fine-grained with a smooth body.

Decent IPA (though I normally don't prefer them)-- mango is a nice touch.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

I am a big fan of the pale ale category of beer. IPAs and APAs both are a favorite of mine. Because of that, I rate this beer fairly high but it lacked some of the punch of my favorite pale ales so I cannot put it quite at the top of my list.

The appearance in the glass was a copper, cloudy look. It was almost opaque. The initial smell was the familiar smell of citrus, hops and pine that I am used to with a pale ale. When I took a sip, I instantly felt a hoppy kick before I even swallowed. The reason that I can't quite put this brew at the top of my pale ale list was that when I took a drink, there was just a bit of a watery feel mixed in with the grapefruit/pine hoppiness. Since it lacked this little something, it isn't the best pale ale I've had but it is extremely drinkable so I hope to get more of this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

16-ounce can picked up at 6-and-Save, the first time I've ever seen Surly beers. Ever. Needless to say, this is my first exposure to both this beer and this brewery.

Can poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy dark orange (darker than usual for style) with a lively (but not large) off-white head on top.

S: Big lively tones of citrus and pine, and additionally herbal notes.

T: Pine, earth, and grapefruit notes shine through on this beer in a remarkable way. A malt backbone announces it's presence early, where hop bitterness stays hidden until the very end, where it is very pronounced at the finish line. An exceptional IPA, that goes through all the *movements* that I like an IPA to move through, but in a unique way that brings the malts in a bit earlier than usual and hides the bitterness a little bit longer.

It's thicker and more viscous than most IPA's I've come across, and I think t he malts are very well done here. There's plenty of it, but it's not unbalanced. Pungent hops leave no question that this is IPA.

M: It's thicker, heavier, and more viscous than most IPAs I've had. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Certainly unique.

As such, carbonation does not shine through as clearly as most others, but this leaves an incredible amount of sticky-sweet hop residues in the mouth on the finish.

D/O: Highly drinkable. I'll admit, I was skeptical when I poured it, but at this point I'm a believer. I'm 14 ounces into this 16-ounce can, and still ready for me. I'm really enjoying this. Overall, an excellent IPA.

IN Minneapolis for the first time and visited Bret's Pub...and tried three pints of Surly Furious. The beer pours a nice rich copper with vist white head that laced throughout the drink. The smell was a very nice fresh hop with subtle notes of pine and citrus. The taste was very bitter from the hops and lingered on the pallet. those that enjoy hops and bitterness caused by hops this is the beer for you. I must admit that three pints made for a rough morning.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

The pour was a beautiful caramelized brown with hints of a dirty orange around the edges. A nice 1 1/2" soapy off white head that faded to a moderate cap after a good long while. Nice retention.

The smell is amazing. Not sure if I poured a beer, or the sweetest can of ruby grapefruit juice I have ever smelled. A little hop bitterness and toffee scented malts at the very end. Nice!

The taste is crispy hops right out of the gate with a big citrus/orange peel flavor and a bit of a sweet malty backbone. Finishes very bitter with lingering hop notes for ever and ever. Most of the flavors seem to explode right as you swallow instead of before.

Mouthfeel is good here as well. Nice and slick with hop oils and a good amount of carbonation that tickles your taste buds as soon as you swallow. Goes right in line with the flavor explosion.

Overall I really liked this brew. Not an easy thing for me to find in Western Pa, but something that if I see it on the shelves somewhere, I will NOT pass it by. A bar setting brew for an American style IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Big thanks to mecherd for this pint can, poured into a snifter. Hazy reddish caramel with a generous cap of light tan froth. This reduces to a skim in short order, but leaves a nice network of patchy lacing behind.

Bready malt aroma ushers in a blast of sweet citrus smells and a pine presence that is more assertive come sippin' time, matching the potency of the fruit. Impressive variety of fruity flavors- grapefruit, tangerine, mango, green apple, white grape. 99 IBUs and only 6.2%? I dig it. The hops are truly the stars of the show here in spite of the hefty (bready, not caramel) malt profile. Earthy and dank at times. Toward the finish, things take a turn down a resiny and gritty road. Impressive lingering bitter sting. A pretty badass IPA, well worth seeking out.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Thank you shawnp for the great trade!

A- Beautiful ruby red hue with a one finger pink head floating on top. Nice sticky honey lacing drips down the glass, hanging on tightly! Really nice carbonation flowing up thru my DFH signature glass.

S- Fresh cut Ruby Red Grapefruit!!! Orange blossom honey, lemon zest, and clementine with a sweet maltiness. The maltiness really balances things out as it warms up! This is one bad mother... (shut your mouth!)

T- Nice bitter citrus punch! Like biting into a Ruby Red Grapefruit without the juice squirting you in the eye! Nice honey and malty sweetness that rounds out the crush of citrus and pine! A touch of tasty yeast in the finish... this is so very well done!

M- This citrus bite really mixes well with the sweet chewy malts. Each lets the other shine and show its stuff! Makes you salivate and want/need the next sip! Sticky honey, grapefruit pop, and decent carbonation that lets all the flavors dance on your tongue.

O- The only bad thing I can say about this brew is that I can't get it in NY!!! I could drink this everyday without ever getting tired of it. A near perfect example of an American IPA! Stand proud Surly... you always set the bar so high!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company