Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,411
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
drizzam

4.33/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured a clear amber-red color with a foamy off white head. The head receded to a thin cap after a few minutes, but left a heavy veil of sticky lacing down the inside of the glass.

S - Very nice hop aroma. Heavy piney hop aroma that almost seems to have a bit of citrus character as well. The nose is excellent in this brew!

T & M - The bold taste mimics what I smelled, the piney hops kick hard up front with a bit of sweet malt on the back end to balance the hop bite. Medium bodied creamy mouthfeel. Finishes with a bit of a hoppy aftertaste.

D - At 99 IBU's, this is bordering on an extreme hop beer. The way it is crafted really makes it a tasty brew, maybe not extremely sessionable, but certainly highly drinkable. I would recommend this to anybody that appreciates a good IPA.

01-05-2010 01:08:21 | More by drizzam
yourefragile

District of Columbia

16 oz can compliments of brian23456

Pours a relatively clear copper with a little sediment. Frothy, thick off white head that has excellent retention and leaves copious amounts of foamy, sticky lacing. Aroma is balance of smooth pine and resiny hops with sweet malt and mild toasted notes. Mouthfeel is medium thick with mild carbonation and a mild hop, resiny finish. Citrus and pine hop flavors in body are balanced by a strong bready and caramel malt body. The mouthfeel and drinkability of this IPA are exceptional for the style, however after having had a Sculpin earlier in the night it's hard to rate the taste and nose much higher than I have (not that I'm trying to directly compare them). The balance and smoothness are incredible for this beer, easily my favorite Surly beer I've tried yet.

01-04-2010 04:18:35 | More by yourefragile
kels

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Such a delicious beer! I've had it numerous times, but never got around to reviewing it until now. Poured from the can into my pint glass.

The beer is a coppery reddish-brown. It has good clarity with a light flow of carbonation running throughout. The initial off-white head is about 2 fingers, and it fades to a well-retained 1/2 finger skim of foam, leaving behind tons of very sticky lacing.

One of the best features of this beer is the smell. The hops come through nice and strong - they are earthy, piney and slightly citrusy - more like the rind than the flesh. There's a slight hint of the crispy toasted malts that verge barely on caramel sweetness.

Great taste reflects the fullness of the aroma. The flavor maintains boldness while being surprisingly balanced. The hops are delicious and and even juicy, both citrusy and earthy as in the smell. What I think are simcoe hops dominate the taste. A great foundation of very toasty and slightly caramelly malts supports the hoppiness nicely. The alcohol creeps through a little in the taste, and the feel is nicely, lightly carbonated and mouthfilling.

Definitely one of the most drinkable beers I've had, regardless of style. Wish I could get it regularly where I live. Thanks for the hookup, bamadog!

01-04-2010 03:28:43 | More by kels
gory4d

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a ruddy brown color with a dense off-white head, very sticky, lots of lacing. The smell is a big hit of pine, citrus peel, raw minerals, a little savory note at the end. The taste is brutal on the hops: pine, mostly, with some grapefruit peel, some faint sweet malts down in there. Not in the least bit balanced, but enjoyable anyway. It's moderately carbonated, thick and sticky. Too much of a hop bomb to drink much of -- last night I split a can with two friends, and I think that little bit was the perfect amount.

01-02-2010 03:34:03 | More by gory4d
cvfish

Louisiana

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

A - This beer poured a beautiful light bronze orange color that produced a fluffy white head that had a great amount of retention and left a beautiful lacing effect around the side of the glass

S - The aroma produced by this beer is out of this world, a nice bunch of pale malts followed by some great bouquet of floral and citrus hops

T - The taste of this beer is beyond a doubt one of the best tasting IPA's on the market, generous amounts of pale malts, black tea, floral and citrus hops, lots of grapefruits, orange, lemon

M - The mouthfeel of this beer is without a doubt one of the best I have ever tried, medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, perfect for the style

D - By far one of the best IPAs I have ever had, maybe the tea taste is what sets this one apart, but this is one close to perfect beer, I think there is only one other IPA that I enjoy more, only slightly

12-31-2009 22:49:10 | More by cvfish
BeerPhan86

4.33/5  rDev 0%

This was brought to me in time for the holidays along with some Bell's Two-Hearted by a friend from Minnesota. I had one last night out of the can but now it's time to sit down for a proper review. It really is quite a unique and delicious IPA.

A - Pours a hazy ruby-amber with a one finger frothy tan head. The head is extremely dense and retentive on this one and the lacing is very sticky.

S - Loads of citrus and pine hops. The scent of grapefruit is very overpowering although there is also a very sweet caramel malt backbone. Very very intense hop aroma for any beer.

T - Much like the smell. I get hit with so much hop flavor at first that I am overwhelmed to detect anything else. Finishes a bit dry and the aftertaste is very buttery and toasty. The hops seem to diminish rather quick but that initial hop rush is intense. Has a rather grassy/earthy aspect to it as well.

M - Medium bodied and sticky. The carbonation level seems a tad low. Feels very "sharp" in my mouth almost like punch or champagne.

D - This is one I would savor. Since it comes in a 4-pack of tall boys, I'd recommend spreading them out over a couple of sittings.

Overall, the legendary things I have heard about Surly hold up. I only wish I had other varieties to try. This one is right up my alley and any hophead would be a fool not to try this if they come across it. It reminds me very much of Gordon beer by Oskar Blues, but lacks the potency to make it more drinkable. Outstanding.

12-23-2009 03:34:44 | More by BeerPhan86
DavoleBomb

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Big thanks to jkblodge for this extra.

4.0 A: Clear orange amber color. Two fingers of frothy, yet dense head that retains exceptionally well. Super sticky and leaves tons of lacing.

4.5 S: Lots of citrusy and piney hops and lots of sweet malts too. Grapefruit and orange citrus with resiny pine. Though the hops run the show, the malts give strong aroma too. Lots of caramel sweetness.

4.0 T: Drier than I expected, yet still not super bitter. Hop flavor centers around resiny and piney hops with grapefruit in the background. Malts aren't as complex as in the nose and lend a soft sweetness with a touch of toastiness. Still, this is very tasty.

3.5 M: Light body. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. I know a lot of people like a low FSG with their IPAs, but I like thicker, maltier bodies on mine.

4.0 D: Great aroma and taste, but mouthfeel could use some reinforcement. That said, I'd never turn one of these down. A well crafted beer, but could be hoppier.

12-23-2009 02:38:52 | More by DavoleBomb
bamadog

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to my buddy Jeff for picking up a 4 pack of this on his latest road trip which happened to be to Minnesota. Anytime he hits the road, I give him a list and he has yet to fail me. Review is from notes taken on 12/18/2009 and poured from the can to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a rich caramel/coppery color and starts with a one finger, slightly off-white head that fades toa full skim with some chunkier spots here and there; body is clear and shows moderate carbonation; spotty sticky lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Hop bliss... Tons of sticky piney hops followed by a sweet caramel malty backing, exactly what a great IPA should be - tons of hops up front and that firm support of malt in the back.

Taste: Straight up front piney hop bitterness with a very slight caramel malt presence that provides just a minimal amount of balance that really allows the hop bitterness to dominate the flavors as they should; simple straightforward and awesome; there is a slight coppery metallic bite at the end of it, but I can live with that.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth; again smooth carbonation; sticky pine resin leaves a fair coating all over the mouth.

Drinkability: Very high, I could drink this all day if it was available in this area. I can really see why it's in the top 100.

12-21-2009 05:00:10 | More by bamadog
GeezLynn

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

16 oz can poured into a tulip.
Dark red-brown with a sudsy white head.
Smell is amazing - a full array of juicy, fruity hops overlaying a caramel malt body. Not able to name all the varieties in there, but it's safe to say they used plenty of the mainstays, and then threw a few more types just for good measure.
Flavor is a bitchslap of grapefruit and pine. Eventually as the beer warms enough I'm able to pick up the more of the malt flavors, mainly burnt toffee. The 99 IBUs are very apparent, although I'd describe it as more of a smooth bitterness than a biting bitterness. Hop oils cling to the tongue from the sip through the finish. In my experience, there are few if any beers out there at 6.2% that carry this much flavor.
Mouthfeel is light, but full. It's smooth and a carbonated just right.

Worldclass - one of the best IPAs out there and my personal favorite. Looking forward to the day I will be able to get this on a regular basis again.

12-20-2009 22:55:41 | More by GeezLynn
bonk0076

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a cloudy amber color with a nice beige head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing. Aroma features extremely strong pine and citrus (grapefruit) notes with earthy and caramel notes beneath it. Taste is almost a disappointment after the power that the aroma suggests. Not that its bad, just the aroma is so appealing. Taste begins with hop bitterness and finishes with a smooth caramel maltiness that balances it without taking away from the hops. Seems to have a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that makes it quite drinkable.

12-16-2009 04:33:53 | More by bonk0076
Lunch

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Served from a 16oz.can acquired in a trade from stig (Thanks man!) into my 20oz. Stone nonic pint at the appropriate temperature.

A: Pours a rusty copper color with a two finger head of an off-white foam with decent retention and lacing. Slightly darker than I was expecting.

S: Beautiful bouquet of tropical fruit hops with a great degree of citrus along with a mild backbone of a slight caramel malt.

T: Tropical hops hit the palate first with layers of grapefruit and orange finishing with a piney finish. A nice subtle semi-sweet caramel malt rounds out the flavor quite nicely.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a slightly fuller flavor than many American IPAs.

D: Incredible drinkable as bitterness is never overwhelming and the balance between the hops and the malt is spot on for the style.

Overall this was an exceptional American IPA that is certainly worthy of its great reputation. Thanks again Kyle for supplying me with this. Recommended.

12-14-2009 02:45:00 | More by Lunch
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to BigBry for this one!

The beer is copper color looking and is cloudy. The head is beige, creamy and sticks quite well to the glass. In fact, it sticks very well to the glass. Nice looking beer. The aroma is amazing! Very intense. Piny hops that I can get even when I'm pouring the beer in the glass. I get some citrus too. The taste is absolutely amazing. Citrusy hops and just enough malts to balance it very well. I get some caramel notes too. Not overly bitter for the strong hops smell. I guess they put just enough malts to keep the bitterness not too aggressive.

Medium body and the taste stays in the mouth so well, it is exceptional. Awesome beer.

This reminds me of Dieu Du Ciel's La Corne du Diable... both beers are very close to each other in terms of aroma and taste.

12-14-2009 00:47:45 | More by ZorPrime
kzoobrew

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

This can of Furious was made possible by mothman, it is appreciated.

Steady pour into my Duvel Tulip. Rusted orange body sways a little closer to red than the average IPA. Creamy two finger alabaster head towers over slowly retreating. Left behind is a thick sheet of lacing which encompasses the glass.

Bright and fresh citrus hops entice the nose. Subtle pine and hints of tropical fruit aromas are also provided by the masterful use of hops. Buttery caramel malt plays second fiddle but is not to be ignored.

The hops are intense. The citrus hits first followed closely by a pinyness not anticipated from the nose. Caramel malt provides a sturdy base for the hops to pile on. Very hop forward while still maintaining much needed balance. Resinous hop oil embeds itself in the tongue reminding you of the battering which just took place.

The body lands itself just south of full. Creaminess to the mouthfeel which is rarely associated with a world class IPA. Very smooth with carbonation befitting the style.

Tremendously drinkable brew. Though my experience with Surly in very limited, they do not disappoint. Very aspect of this brew has hit the mark. Without question it is a pleasure to enjoy this one.

12-12-2009 04:22:41 | More by kzoobrew
Snow81

Appearance: nice red hazy, small amounts of b-ll float with in my beer

Smell: Grapefruit, sweet pine, hardy citric

Head: Big and Creamy

Taste: Right off the Bat grapefruit and maltyness then pine come in to play on the sides of my palate

Weight: Medium to heavy on the body, carbonation seems low to medium

Finish: Yummy, the flavors of Furious stays on my palate with seems forever

12-11-2009 03:53:47 | More by Snow81
abecall98

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Looks nice and amber colored, with a sticky white lacy head. How an IPA should look.

S - Bitter sweet. You can smell the hops as they go swimming in the air. The aroma is so damn inviting and piney and hoppy that I cannot give it lower than a 5. Damn the smell is good.

T - Starts off Hoppy, then sweet, then slight malt, then gone. The hops do not stay long enough to warrant more than a 5 rating, but still deserves a 4.0 for tasting damn good.

M - Sticky, dry, and hoppy. Leaves you thirsty for more IPA.

D - This beer is something I would keep drinking. I want to open my 2nd can cus it is so good, but will hold off and wait to share it with DwnTwnBrwn. This beer is one that you drink, like the flavor, and ask yourself, why don't I have more of this?

O - This is a mighty damn fine IPA. Get some if you can, trade for it if you can't.

12-10-2009 05:22:44 | More by abecall98
woodychandler

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Initial CANQuest (TM) review: CAN you believe it?!? I really thought that I had screwed the pooch on this one. Omar specifically brought some cans with him to Boston to give to me for review and I thought that I forgot to review them before drinking. Instead, I have copious notes encompassing numerous notebooks and I just got them back from a local transcription service. Lo and behold, here was my review!

A finger's worth of light-brown head with fantastic retention. Nose was thick with Cascade hops. Color was a cloudy, deep amber. Mouthfeel was rather full with lots of hops scouring away at mine palate. Finish had a light sweetness, malt-driven, very nice. More, pls., sir!

Well, not one of my better reviews. If anyone would like to trade me for some more in a CAN, I would happily re-review this beer. Please scroll down for a better showing.

Second review, thanks to Einweizenbitte and Uncle Felonious Monk for getting The CANQuest (TM) back on track.

From the CAN: "Beer for a Glass, From a CAN."; "Fresh Beer, Keep It Cool!"; "A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of Ameri[CAN] hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and caramel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for."

The Crack & Glug was its usual success! I was looking at a thick finger of light-tan head that was exploding with bubbles, giving off a scent of caramel-toffee that was richer than I had imagined. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber, so I disagreed with the color. The CAN was stamped on the bottom "CANned on 9/27/10 so freshness was not an issue. In the meantime, the head fell, creating a lot of sticky lacing. Leaning in for a whiff, I got a blast of pine, like undiluted pine cleaner. Wow! The first sip was medium in terms of mouthfeel but heavy on flavor as the pine and the grapefruit-hops strove for dominance. The finish was initially of ruby-red grapefruit, but the extreme finish allowed the caramel-toffee to make an appearance. Goddang, but this was the kind of thing that got me hooked as a hophead in the first place! I would absolutely put this in my imaginary cooler, but I might hoard it all for myself once I got to the beach. Sorry, bunnies, but I've got other beers for yinz.

12-08-2009 10:11:52 | More by woodychandler
BTPete

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

recieved a couple cans from BarrytheBear in a trade. Thanks. Drank this one solo and will share the other with a hophead friend.

Can poured to pint glass.

A: Copper with a centimeter head, tons of bubbles flowing through this one.

S: Citrus and pine hop aroma. Very strong, very enticing. Can't wait to sip this one!

T: Once again citrus and a little pine up front. Ends bitter in my mouth. Not a bad thing at all. Very hop driven obviously so I can't say it's balanced but it's a big hop beer.

M: Active and bubbly, semi dry, med bodied.

D: Very good and drinkable. I could put a few of these away and be very pleased. Wish this beer could be obtained locally and not just by trade.

12-07-2009 15:13:47 | More by BTPete
number1bum

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Many thanks to my buddy krisandajt for a can of this. You're a good man Joe.

Pours a deep copper color with a burnt orange or even slightly reddish tinge to it. Two inches of creamy tan head sit on top. Keeps a mostly full lace and leaves some good webbing on the sides.

Lots of hops in this nose, with tobacco, leather, pine resin, and earth. Pithy citrus but really not the juicy variety. Big biscuity malt quality to the nose as well, along with some slightly buttery caramel.

Flavor is not as super hoppy as the nose, or maybe it's because of the big malt backbone in this one. Big biscuity, slightly toasty malt backbone in this one, with some caramel too. Really not much sweetness to this one, though. Hops are very earthy with a leafy tobacco quality as well. Some resiny pine too. The finish is quite bitter with some toasty malt lingering on the palate as well.

Mouthfeel is a slick, oily, creamy medium body. It's quite dry in the finish, with lots of lingering hop bitterness.

This is a really tasty IPA. Not my favorite variety of hops, as I prefer more citrus character, but this is a big, flavorful IPA with plenty of malt to balance it out. I would be happy to have this with regularity if it were local.

12-07-2009 01:07:19 | More by number1bum
MPLS

4.72/5  rDev +9%

100th review milestone, finally feeling the urge to review more beers that I drink, but this beer is certainly a beer that my palate frequently visits, my friend Furious.

A: Dark rusty amber and orange with an initial 4 cm head that fades to a nice layer on from of it's murky body. This beer doesn't put down lace like a Victoria Secret catalogue, but the semi-opaque is rather impressive.

S: Ferocious hop profile mixed with the caramel-toffee malts. The hops bring forth a prevalent citrus profile that is primarily white grapefruit peel, but is mixed with other tropical fruits.

T: Perhaps my favorite session beer? My tongue has quickly adapted to the taste of Furious. This beer has everything in the nose, caramel-toffee malts with a big spectrum of citrus/tropical fruits. I love everything about this beer, very distinct and very delicious.

M: Medium, maybe even big bodied, rather creamy.

D: I can't believe how easy it is to drink on of these @ around 100 IBUs. I can't help but take advantage of any tap offering of this in the city when I am out. This beer is has to be one of the biggest reasons to the craft-beer explosion in Minnesota and for good reason. Sign me up for the Surly Whore newsletter.

12-02-2009 10:40:14 | More by MPLS
Casey10

Maine

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

aquired in a trade with supercolter thanks again so awesome to finally be able to try this one.

A - Poured from can into a glass pours a copper red hue with a very thick head that laces nicely to the glass.

S - piney citrus hops what else can I say so nice.

T - Fantastic smooth perfect balance some bitter hops but just in the backgound again just nice.

M - Good leaves a nice feel after drinking can feel the citrus.

D - Give me another the hype is worth it here smooth, balanced perfect for the style.

12-02-2009 01:50:49 | More by Casey10
krisandajt

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

A big thanks to jera1350 for hooking me up with a few cans of this bad boy in a trade. Cheers Jason!

Appearance: A good pour into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass yields a deep, rich, clear copper colored brew with a huge inch-plus of thick, foamy head. Some very nice retention with plenty of thick, sticky lacing.

Smell: A big ole whiff of the good stuff! Lots of delicious, piney, earthy, spicy hops. Yea buddy.

Taste: Just like the smell, a bit hit of piney hops. Wow. Heavy on the pine, with just a bit of earthy spiciness going on. Not really picking up much malt here...which is just how I like it.

Mouthfeel: Just a wee bit on the thin side for me, but this one is far from watery. There's good carbonation and a nice feel to it. Overall it's quite good.

Drinkability: A very tasty IPA, and easily one of the best I've had. Heavy on the bitter hops, easy on the sweet malts. If you are looking for a top notch IPA, this is it right here. I'll be looking to score some more of this in the future. Thanks again jera1350!

11-28-2009 01:35:59 | More by krisandajt
darklordlager

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear orange bronze, with a very retentious 3/4" light tan head.

Smell is of sweet citrus (grapefruit), some pine, orange. All of which are incredibly intense.

Big bitter citrus up front, then becoming a bit sweeter from the malt, resulting in more of an orange citrus, or sweetened grapefruit. Blast of piney, grapefruity hops to the face makes it incredibly refreshing. A light smokey element lingers in the depths of the hops.

Smooth, not overcarbed one bit. Reminds me a bit (as much as a canned/bottled beer can) of a cask beer's carbonation. Smooth...

Fantastic. The perfect amount of intense grapefruit bitterness to make it interesting for a whole night and then some. Surly has a gem here.

11-26-2009 04:04:46 | More by darklordlager
crossovert

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Not sure why they canned this, but whatever it is a fantastic brew.

Pours from the can into my American Pint glass with a reddish brown hue, darker than most IPAs, certainly it is in the Midwest school of color. The head is foamy and rises to the rim of the glass, it is slightly off-white and leaves bubbly lacing.

Having brewed my own DIPA today using a pound of hops, I know the fresh hop scents and this brew is bursting with them. The nose is full of concentrated citrusy, spicy hop scent. There is some malt sweetness but only enough to be considered just enough. This is one of the hoppiest smelling brews I have come across.

The hops roll right onto your tastebuds with furious intensity, I don't know if it is because of the can or what but the hops in this one seem really fresh. The malt is there in the taste providing the backbone needed for a solid IPA.

The Midwestern IPAs are some of the best out there, and this one is the best out of the bunch.

11-25-2009 23:15:14 | More by crossovert
auroracrisis

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from the can into my Brooklyn pint glass. Got this in a trade, thanks Brad!

Pours a dark orange and red color with a one finger off yellow head that calms down after a minute or two. After a few sips, the head dissipates into a bit of foam around the edges of the glass. Good lacing as the beer is consumed down the sides of the glass.

Smells like bittering hops and a pinch of biscuity malts as the beer warms.

My first sip was greeted with a decent amount of bittering hops on the sides of the tongue. The hops were pretty much all I could taste since this one is so cold right now. As the beer warms the malty sweetness becomes a tad more apparent but is still overcasted with hops.

Mouthfeel is alright. Medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Nothing special but nothing to complain about.

Drinkability, for me, would be about average. It's a good beer, I could see how someone could really like this one but for me I really like the west coast IPA style rather than this. This is just too bitter for me to be able to drink alot of. I like my IPAs with a bit more citrusy goodness.

Overall, not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination. Just not my favorite.

11-25-2009 07:57:58 | More by auroracrisis
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -15%

On-Tap at Jake Melnick's, Chicago, Illinois.

Came in a goblet pint. Nice cloudy amber colour with slow dissipating head.

Not the most aggressive aroma, but nice. Hoppy but there is a definite muskiness. It's like a stale IPA aroma. This tap was fresh, but it's not comparable to hoppy West coast IPA's

Great taste...Bitter, for sure, but the aromatic flavours are lacking slightly. I'm not gonna deny it's IBU's bitterness, but it isn't as flavourful as other IPA's's

Mouthfeel and Drinkability were hindered because it was slightly musty. This is a hoppy monster but there is a "dirty" flavour that comes along with it.

11-25-2009 02:31:50 | More by Hornet2003