Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,428
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Tough on appearance as I drank the 4 cans all from the can just because. 1st can was Ok, drank right off the delivery truck. Others were really great. Suprising beer for the quality. Assumed it would be just Ok, maybe the 1st can make me think that about the other 3. Wish I had more. Awesome IPA and at the price for 4 pack and tall boys, really nice!

paytoplay, Mar 04, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Another generous extra from Dbhog (thanks Bill). Served in an SA Sensory Pint. Poured a translucent burnt orange with a two inch frothy off-white cap. Bands of thick, yet delicate, lacing are revealed as the head slowly dissipates. Copious tiny bubbles adhered to the sides of the glass during the initial few minutes post-pour. Aromas of grapefruit and piney hops waft up from the glass. Taste consistent with nose; amazing flavor and balance. Mouthfeel is between light- and medium-bodied. Lightly carbonated and smooth with very little bitterness detectable at the back. By far the easiest drinking IPA I've ever had. Six months ago, I shyed away from the style, but brews like this have caused me to seek them out.

Jwale73, Feb 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

16 oz. can tried 16 Jan 2009. Courtesy of hogwildliquor, thanks!

Poured in 0.5 L Adambrau becker. Very large very tight khaki colored head. Lightly carbonated. Clear burnt umber color. Aroma is a big smack of hops, pine, pineapple, resin and pastry dough. Starts with lots of pineapple and resin, sweet and slightly buttery like pie crust. Nice dose of caramel malt throughout but this is all about the hops. Plenty of resin bitterness from start to finish and lingering in the aftertaste. Medium sticky body. Alcohol seems a bit more than the reported 6.2%.

I would have this in my fridge all the time if I could get it.

htomsirveaux, Feb 21, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky amber orange with a half inch white, fluffy, soapy head. I love the head of an IPA better than any other beer. Wow, there is almost a complete curtain of lacing with this one. The smell is very hoppy. There are citrus and pine notes and a slight caramel toffee malt. The taste is amazing! The mouthfeel is the first thing that jumps out though. This is one creamy brew! I usually use creamy to describe a beer but none have ever been like this. The taste is not overly hoppy, there is some sweet citrus and some pine but it is mostly balanced by the caramel malt. This is more balanced than an American IPA should be. I still love this one and wouldn't mind having a case around at all times.

CrazyMacHarris99, Feb 18, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A tasty IPA. This falls somewhere between an IPA and DIPA in most aspects.

Nice head and darkish color for the style.

Very nice nose with fruity hops (citrus juice and peel) and sweet caramelly/toasty malt. Great intensity. Almost a 5.

On the palate, very balanced, with unexpected malty notes (toffee, toast) notes and delicious citric hops. Personally, I'd like a bit less malt presence to really let the hops flex their muscles, but I'm not going to complain. On second thought, maybe not. This is really good, just not your typical pale IPA.

Even at 99 IBUs, this comes across as less bitter than most IPAs. Favoring balance over bitterness/hoppiness is an interesting style choice for an IPA, but it works here.

Medium body and great drinkability. Since we're already deviating from style expectations here, I would like to see some more carbonation, in the realm of a good bubbly belgian.

Good QPR.

jjazz, Feb 18, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

The label reads true...great beer out of can, meant to be poured in a glass! Per the owners, great marketing, cool design, and awesome logo.

Recently toured the brewery, have enjoyed the beer for quite a while now...figured it was about time for me to go ahead and review it...

A- Nice dark amber golden, red hue...good creamy caramel head, with nice retention, and adequate lacing.

S- Nice hop aroma, sweet bitterness, citrus, lemon, floral, fruity.

T- Nice balance of caramel, chocolate malt, with high bitterness of hops, nice after taste, well balanced.

M- Nice carbonation, clean, fresh.

D- As much as I enjoy this beer, my taste buds burn out at about 2.5...very good beer to enjoy, even as well balanced as I think it is, the pallet can easily get overwhelmed by this one.

Cudos to Surly for making great beer, not conforming to traditional standards of beer styles, and pushing the limits with their beers. Keep up the good work...

mwagner1018, Feb 16, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Got this from a buddy over on my cigar forum. He surprised me with this and 2 cans of coffee bender which I have yet to drink.

A: Pours a darkish amber with a solid 2 fingers of frothy head.

S: Piney hops, malts, honey.

T: Very hop forward which I love. A nice touch of malt and floral notes balance it quite well while letting the hops still stand out.

M: Light and crisp. On par with the style.

D: Very drinkable. I could easily stroke 3 cans in a sitting.

Overall: A very nice offering from Surly. If I could get it locally I would keep it on hand as one of my goto IPA's.

session1979, Feb 15, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -26.4%

Received a tall-boy can from TurdFergison in a recent beer trade. Pours a hazy, dark-brownish-amber with lots of quick tiny bubbles, a huge rocky off-white head and some crispy lacing. Lots of caramel malt in the aroma, grain husk, honey oat dinner rolls and hints of dark fruits. Some citrusy, pungent, and spicy hop aromas. Medium bodied with a crisp mouthfeel. Some caramel malt sweetness up front with some toasted character. Hops flavor is citrus as hell like fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. The beer finishes with a spicy bitterness and a flavor like Halls menthol-orange cough drops. I am a raging hop-head but did not love this one. I'm not sure how fresh this can is but I would rate this IPA ok at best.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Feb 15, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to vwcraig for the opportunity on this one!

Pours a slightly hazy reddish copper with some pretty frothy and resilient eggshell head. Very pretty and right on to style.

Nose is citrus and resiny hops with a slightly fruity scent. Smells pretty strong for a "regular" IPA.

Taste is a hoppy son of a bitch with flavors all over the place, starting off more on the resiny side and ending with a citrus flavor. Malt takes a definite background but by no means is this undrinkable, actually such a pronounced flavor I had to make sure I wasn't drinking a DIPA, very good. No harsh bitterness, no trace of alcohol, maybe a low fruitiness.

Mouthfeel gives us a thin/medium body and moderate carbonation, but somehow this combination doesn't leave with a dry sensation. A very well put together beer.

As for drinkability, I could easily see this becoming a go-to IPA for me, if only we could readily get this here.

sonicdescent, Feb 07, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

some don't see what the hype is about, but i'm in heaven here. dark orange with an off white head that holds and leaves sweet lace. nose is toffee caramel with citrus pine. the hops really hit you right off the bat, but there is a good amount of caramelly/toffeeish malt for the burly, surly, heavy handed hopping. this is what i think of when i think American IPA. 6%abv makes it extremely drinkable. very impressive.

timtim, Feb 06, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Clear, medium copper colored, liquid. A little more than a finger of light tan foam for a head. Retention is really good and lacing is thick and in a solid ring.
Really a great looking brew.

Hops. Big pine hops. Lush tropical/citrus hops. Just overflowing with the floral bouquet of hops.
A very light hint of caramel malts.
Smells completely out of balance.

I'm shocked. It tastes like hops.
This is such a harsh hops bitterness. I can tell that there are some caramel malt notes in there, but just when they come forward, the hops leapfrog right over them and attack your pallette.
This is way too far out of balance, for me.

The mouth is crisp and sharp with a slight touch of creaminess.

If you love hops, this is definitely one to search for. Like you didn't know that, already, though. If you haven't had it, get it.
The very definition of the term 'hop-bomb'.
If you don't absolutely love hops, this is probably not for you.

coldmeat23, Feb 05, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Had on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. Served in an imperial pint. Served a yellow-orange with a 1 finger head. Really nice retention and lacing. Very enticing.

S- Nothing besides hops here.

T- This is an extremely bitter beer. Hops, hops, and more hops. Not very balanced, but delivered on what it promised. For IPA lovers, this is a must-try.

M- Medium-full body, with ample carbonation.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. Every sip left me with a dry bitterness in the mouth, which made me go for another sip every time.

akokandy, Feb 05, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

I was able to try this last night and have been looking forward to it for some time. It is a great American IPA! It has a nice floral and citrus hop smell. It tricks your mouth into thinking it's going to be just over the top huge, but as soon as it hits your tongue, WOW. It's a very smooth drinking beer and it lures you in for the next sip right away. I couldn't put it down! And at 6.2% I could have 3 or 4 of these and not mind it at all!

madtowndmb1, Feb 02, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

Received from a nice trade - big thanks to ScoobyDank. I empty my trade bounty, this can of Furious, into an oversized tulip. This is the second can I've tasted.
It exhibits brilliant highlights of copper, mud, rust & amber. The beer seems to glow as if it was emiting its own light. The tight ecru head hangs around for the ride, sticking on for dear life to the glass. In spite of the fact that this is several shades deeper than your garden variety IPA, in fact maybe because it is, it is a truly impressive looking beer. My expectations grow.

Smells like bright, simple sugar candy, backed well by vibrant doses of flowery hops which sharpen and turn bitingly citric, pine like and grassy as it sits a bit.

It is hard for me to tell how long this can has aged, but the hops seem to have A. mellowed, and B. gone all grassy on me. Yes this seems to be veering into the barleywine profile - with a biscuity and burly malt presence dominating up front and in the middle. The grassy & pine hop comes through in the back of my mouth, sticking around in somewhat pleasing pools of bitterness. Upon some further sensory introspection, I am enjoying the wild quality of this hop - very earthy and biting. But it has taken me heavily into the malt dominate brew vibe, and I'm not that impressed.

MF - buttery and full bodied, but it knows when to let go. This be good mouthfeel ya know.
D - too malt forward to really nip at my urge to imbibe many many ounces.

Philabeerphia, Jan 30, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this one from Crazynelson in Cincinnati through a beer trade. Awesome brew my friend!

I poured this one into my Samuel Adam's sensory glass. It pours a light and cloudy crimson russet color. There is a great fluffy head with great lacing retention throughout the session.

This is now my second favorite beer from a can - first being Ten Fidy.

The taste is light and creamy on the front end and you really can't taste the hops until they hit the back of your mouth - then it's like a hop hand grenade just hit your palate. WOW it has a drying effect then a sweet tart flavor at the finish. There is plenty of citrus, and a grapefruit finish that is exquisite. Man this is one tasty brew. I love IPA's! At first I thought this might be a scotch ale.

The mouthfeel is light on the front end then builds in size if that were possible as it warms. Great fullness without being over the top. I could drink this all day if I had them on hand - unfortunately this is my only one.

Drinkability is great. Like I said this is a great session brew if they were only readily available in MS. Great taste! Thank you again Nelson.

PerzentRizen, Jan 24, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow. Pours a caramel, burnt orange color with 2 fingers of sticky white head that fell to about a centimeter; this beer is a real beauty in the glass. The aroma is full of piney, citrusy (grapefruit) notes with a little hint of caramel on the end. This is, in my opinion, one of the most perfectly balanced beers in the world; 100 IBU's so the bitterness is there, but the subtle nuances of the hops shine through because of the great malt character (they use the same malts as Macallan scotch). This is a beer I could drink all night and not get bored.

Bottom line: Drink this.

zloew, Jan 22, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to justn for this one! Finally, my first Surly!

Can cracks with a bit of foam over on the lip. Man, I can smell those fresh piney hops already!

Pours 16 oz of beautiful dark amber goodness. I got about 3 fingers of head on this pour and its sitting their without plans to leave. Wow, great things can come from a can thats for sure.

Smell is strong fresh PNW hops. Lots of piney, citrusy notes busting out. Their is some sweet, brown sugary smells as well coming from behind all the "in your face" hoppiness. Man, I love the smell of this.

Taste is pine, grapefruit and other citrus and lots of hop bitterness. It stings the tongue like a hop-scorpion (hopion?). This stuff is sticky and resinous in the mouth, plenty of hops packed into an IPA that clocks in at under 6.5%. I can't imagine what their dIPA is like.

This is an amazing IPA, I could drink down 4 cans of this without a problem. Its exactly what I was hoping for. Furious, you lived up to the hype.

Cheers justn.

indiapaleale, Jan 21, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I had this on-tap at The Firkin in Libertyville IL.

Big head, nicely poured, perfect temp. First sip reveals chewy aromatic hops and a head that requires a knife and fork. Color of amber leather. Nose is some pine notes more floral hops. Thick lacing. Amber color not completely clear.

davedahl, Jan 20, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Inch and a half light tan foamy head, with fair retention and some lacing. The beer is an amber almost red color.

S- Citrus, Lemon zest and grapefruit with hints of pine. Some caramel sweetness and hints of white cake.

T- Citrus, lemons and grapefruit, some pine and herbal notes as well. A little sweet malt flavor that ends up being taken over again by hops. Dry herbal hops after-taste.

M- Light and crisp mouth feel with good carbonation and some tingle from the hops.

D- This beer is very drinkable and leaves you with a nice after-taste that makes you want more.

Overall a great tasting beer drinkable enough to be a session beer.

br3wmeister, Jan 18, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Ok so I would recommend trying the standard Furious before attempting to decifer this one. And by the way, that one is best in the can. Appearance is very good, lots of hazy orange floating around with a nice head and lacing. Smell is wow, a blast of citrus and floral hops. A bit spicy and then the sweet herbal tea on the back. Very complex and very nice. Taste mirrors the smell but hops get a bit more balanced by the tea and I like mine very one dimensional. Still fantastic however. Mouthfeel is just a touch above medium in body, lots of carbonation and oily movement. Drinkability- I don't think it can get any more drinkable than this.

supercolter, Jan 18, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

A= darker amber color that's hazy and delicious. Little to no head and almost no lacing
S= just like a furious but with even more of a hit. If it's possible to have a furious with a furious soaked in it this is it.
T= furious with a lot more furious to it. My new favorite beer. The herbal notes touche the back of your tongue and finish extremely smooth. There's so much sweet hop tastes to it it's crazy
M= smooth and creamy just like a nice tea. :)
D= amazing! This is my new favorite beer.

jjanega08, Jan 18, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -35.2%

Acquired a can of this thanks to tytoanderso. Caramel orange with nice white head. Smells like crazy amounts of hops, and I was also getting a touch of cat urine, which was a bit off-putting. Taste is more crazy abundant amounts of hops. There's a decent amount of malts to balance this out, but the excessive amount of hops just crowds everything else out. With lots of other great beer to drink last night, we didn't even finish a can of this split between three people.

waltonc, Jan 11, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

16 oz. can poured into tulip glass

Don't know why I haven't reviewed this yet but it's about time.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown. Like a dark copper with a semi tan, frothy one inch head, and great lacing.

Smell: Amazing. This beer has so much going on in the nose I could smell it forever. Extremely floral. Grapefruit and other citrus hit right away, followed by caramel sweetness and pungent pine.

Taste: Just as great as the smell. The taste is similar to the smell but more complex. Flavors not apparent in the smell, like toffee and brown sugar, come through after the strong grapefruit and pine.

Mouthfeel: Coats your tongue but isn't thick. I'd say it's damn right perfect.

Drinkability: I could drink this all night long, and have.

Overall: I doubt I'll ever tire of Furious. This is my go to beer and it shall remain that way for some time. My personal favorite brew, ever.

optiontwo, Jan 10, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Dark orange with a nice frothy head.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops. There some caramel-like malt in there to provide the backbone, but this one is definitely all about one ingredient.

T/M: Someone below mentioned it tasting like they dug up the entire tree and put it in here, which is an apt comparison. A lot of different hops going on here. The flavors a pretty clean and balanced, and there isn't too much of a lingering bitterness.

D: Even though it's not high in abv I probably couldn't drink too much of this. Pretty intense stuff.

I'm not a hop-head, so this one was a little intense for my tastes. But overall if this a very good IPA. Glad I got to try it.

abfraser, Jan 10, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

my first surly not sandwiched by samples of oak aged dark lord and more oak aged dark lord

a: from the 16 ounce can into my tyranena pint, furious is a caramel copper colored beer with a denshe khaki head afloat, quite hazy, great retention and lacing

s: vivid tropical fruit hops spring out above grainy caramel, the hops make a quick impression with contrasting aromas of tangy passionfruit and sweet pineapple, immature pine, more notes of persimmon fruit and perhaps some dried mango, hell yes

m: carbonation low and smooth, medium-full body

t: awesome caramel malt structure supports a ridiculously pulpy hop character, widely ranging flavors of tropical fruits and a balancing bitter punch, straight-up hop tea, in my book it's really an achievement to balance such a massive load of hops without adding too much malt sweetness

d: not quite a session, but a sixer of these would make for a fun night

blackie, Jan 09, 2009