Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,444
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
4.32/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: A clear orange-brown body capped by over two fingers of fluffy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves brilliant lacing.

Aroma: Citrusy, piney, and resinous hops over a solid caramel malt body. Big and bold.

Flavor: Up front, lots of bitter hops with a complex blend of citusy, piney, resinous, and slightly herbal notes. Underneath, there's a substantial caramel malt backbone keeping everything grounded. While it's certainly a hop forward beer, it's not unbalanced. Resinous and citrusy hops over biscuity malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a little creamy with medium carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: For the hopheads, this is a pretty easy drinker; everyone else will be slowed down a little by the hops.

Verdict: Well-crafted and thoroughly satisfying, Furious certainly lives up to all of the hype. This sits in the upper limits of the American IPA category, with just a hint more intensity likely to push it into Double IPA territory. With such a strong introduction, I can't wait to try more Surly beers.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks (x5) for the Surly extras, tytoanderso, you are awesome!

A - Outstanding appearance; the most lustrous translucent shade of mahogany with garnet hues peaking through, fantastic eggshell head and lace, recording every sip with a encircling strata of lace like the growth rings on a tree.

S - Citric, piney and earthy vegetal hoppiness sits upon a pungent caramel malt. The caramel aspect is available in the nose, but not so much in the taste.

T - Strangely, the flavor is more akin to the some of the better DIPAs, more than AIPAs. Triviality aside, there is a lot of flavor going on here. The hop profile, for one thing, is somewhat unusual; there is not so much a focus on grapefruit or pine, instead staying in a vegetal, herbal, dank realm. The malt is fairly heavy, though it is not sweet; the dryness of it allows the hop to shine through. The finish is bitter and lingering with grassy, leafy notes, and a cabbage-y dank nuance.

M - IPA. Good. Well-carbonated with a dry, lingering finish.

D - I wish I could get Surly in FL.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Jake Melnick's in dowtown Chicago. I'm pretty sure this was just the normal Furious and not the tea-bagged version.

A: Amber color, darker than what I would expect from an IPA. Thick, fluffy head retains well and produces some nice lacing.

S: Citrus and grapefruit in the aroma.

T: Very citrusy taste with some grass notes.

M: Very smooth -- the beer goes down so easy, yet it's very full flavored. Nice bitter hoppy finish that leaves you wanting more.

D: I could drink several of these as a session beer. It's clean an refreshing. Would also go great with a fish or chicken dinner.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

"Tea Bagged Furious" = On cask at Dark Lord Day 2010. Thanks to Melissa for sharing about 4oz of her pour with us.

Looks good. Orangeish red and full of sea monkeys (sediment).

Smell is up there with any beer ever. Smells of citrus and an overwhelming pine. Fresh cut X-Mas trees. Deck the halls, this is probably the best smelling IPA ever.

Taste is nicely furious. Huge hop flavor, grapefruit, dank herbs. Pine sticks to my teeth. Good amount of malt to balance, but it's sweet and lets the hops take over.

Mouthfeel was bubbly and bright.

Drinkability was also wonderful. A hyped up beer that delivered. Try on sight, I have a can of the non tea-bagged to try - can't wait!!
---
Update

Having had this in can as fresh as 2 weeks from stamped date, I can say this beer is just as good fresh as I remember. Sure, the tea-bagged version is a special treat on cask, but a can less than a month old is such a fine beer!

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Tea bagged Furious cask at DLD 2010 brought to me by fellow BA hooliganlife.

The pour is hazy orange with loads of sediment that set at the base of the cup. Smells of hops, citrus fruits, and pines. Smell was unbelievable but the hops completely dominated everything else. Taste is similar with an abundance of hops and citrus fruits. Sediment gets washed down with every sip. Mouthfeel is crispy and medium bodied. Drinkability is way above average. I am so glad I got to try this rarity that will never be available to me again most likely.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

TEA BAGGED FURIOUS poured from a cask at dark lord day 2010

this was beyond murky. TONS of sediment floating around. light orange in color. no head.

huge floral and citrus hops just crushed the nose. some was spilled from the first keg and the hops lingered around the tent, it ruled. but huge floral hops mainly dominated.

this was all hops, there were no malts. the floral hops dominated with a very flower like flavor. huge citrus followed but a sweet citrus and very faint bitterness. i even found part of a hop leaf in my cup. amazing.

very full body, kind of chewy but went down very smooth.

this was the highlight of my day. i could not stop drinking this and everyone that had a sip, loved it. it speaks for itself.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Notes from 3/9/10, although I drink at least a 4-pack of this weekly. poured from can into tall European lager glass.

A-clear, almost reddish brown, very unique rich hue, 1-finger frothy head, half of it stayed around, incredible lacing all the way to the bottom

S-powerful citrus, pine, and noble hops, with honey, can smell this from an arms-length away

T-bursting with fresh hops, intense bitterness, lingering hop flavor, lots of grapefruit, balanced alcohol impact

M-medium bodied, fairly high carbonation, almost chewy

D-could drink all night, one of my Top 10 beers in the world

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from 16 oz. can into an imperial pint glass.

A - Dark amber with quite a bit of red coloring, not cloudy. A normal pour produced a frothy head which slowly broke down; extraordinary lacing.

S - Pine needles, citrusy hops, and caramel.

T - Not initially as sweet as it smells (relative to other American IPAs). The acidic hops remind me of dissolved vitamin C tablets. Grapefruit rears its head early and often. After a few seconds in the mouth, I detect a faint hint of sweet apricot. Wonderfully, the hops way more than offset the sugars. This stuff is hoppy bliss, finishing with a prolonged, profound bitter taste on the back of my tongue.

M - Slightly less carbonation than I would expect, but this doesn't detract. Very crisp and refreshing.

D - Being a hop addict drinking a pint for the first time, I definitely want to dive into another. The fact that the malts & accompanying sugars pale in comparison to the hop presence make this ultra-quaffable for yours truly.

I knew this would be good, but my expectations have been surpassed. With apologies to Two Hearted Ale, Bitter Woman, Ballistic, et. al, I think I've found my Midwest IPA of choice.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16oz can into my Allagash tall snifter. Pours a redish color with an immediate creamy tan head that rises to about a finger's height when poured carefully. Head lasts for a few minutes and remains as a nice creamy rim with great sticky covered lacing.

Aroma is very nice...hops and mild fruit. Fruit resembles a grapefuit...and lemon notes.

Flavor is semi-complex for an American IPA. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel, hoppy bite up front...followed by the sweet fruits as it finishes some-what dry. A very good and drinkable beer. Very impressed!

3.04/5  rDev -29.6%

December-ish canning, Febuary-ish consumption.

Standard pint glass pour. A pretty orange whirlwind as it rolls out. Inch & a half of lumpy light tan head. Not quite clear, but a dusty orange amber. Ugly, sticky glass full of residual once it all settles in place, but I guess that's what we're looking for in an IPA eh? :)

Smell is catty & piercing with alcohol. Sharp radish-like aroma. Hops are of varnish intensity. I know lots of people appreciate that sort of intensity, but it doesn't do it for me unless it's doing more then clearing my sinuses. No big fruit or floral aspects. A touch of rind, but it's very coarse & unwelcoming. From all the reviews, I'm guessing it's awesome straight off the canning line.

Taste is bitter sweet upfront, with dark leafy greens. Sweet honey & cereal grains come in right after turning toasty. Finish is a lingering, dry, acidic rind.

Feel is low to mild carbonation, a touch chalky because of the sediment, & it has a bit of a numbing effect on my tongue as well. Alcohol is a bit of a nuisance.

Not my favorite Surly beer, but it does have some qualities I can see other people being a fan of.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to KeefD for this awesomeness in a can.

A - Wow what can I say? I'm a sucker for good head lol. Poured a perfectly clear deep copper amber with a towering 2" white fluffy head that left giant patches of lace and retained wonderfully in my imperial pint glass. Simply spectacular. 5.0

S - This is like someone blended a Christmas tree, grapefruit, and tangerines together and dumped it into a rich amber ale. The hops are quite prevalent, smells amazingly juicy and delicious. Good caramel backbone too. 4.5

T - Tastes pretty much exactly like it smells, but maybe a touch more grapefruit. Or maybe it's unicorn blood. Is unicorn blood hoppy? Whatever it is, it's a heavenly elixir. 5.0

M - Medium bodied, well carbonated. 4.5

D - Damn. That's all I have for this. 5.0

Overall - This beer is definitely worth seeking out. Everyone should be able to taste its awesomeness at some point. I'm glad I shared my other can at a beer tasting with some other BA's.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Thanks to beerwolf77 for this amazing extra! I love this 16oz. can, label, and description

A: Pours a hazy semi-transparent crimson color. The head is big, fluffy, rocky, retains well, and leaves thick sheets of foam along the glass. Really nice looking pour

S: As soon as I opened the can the hops hit me! Very awesome nose; first there is a tropical fruit aspect to the hops- mango, pineapple, peach and grapefruit. Then there is a piney, super resinous, sticky hop note. The malts are sweet and balance very nicely, lending some notes of caramel, toffee (lots), and bread. One of the best IPA noses I've come across...

T: Wow...The bitterness of the 99IBUs is more subdued than I had expected. One of the more complex IPAs I have come across. The flavor opens with an extremely fresh, piney, resinous, and sticky hops note. Then it transitions into tropical fruity flavors; pineapple, mango, pear, and apple. The hops contribute a crisp citrus bite and a solid bitter kick. Finally the malts...the malts are PERFECT when combined with this hop schedule. A little sweet, bready, with flavors of caramel, toffee, and honey.

MF/D: Chewy feel for the style, carbonation is perfect. The finish is crisp, exceptionally clean, and leaves a nice lingering resinous finish.

Notes: Not quite as bitter as I had expected (which may be a good thing). One of the best, if not the best, IPAs I've ever had. I don't know if its the can or what, but this beer tastes SO fresh, like it was bottled (or canned) 5 minutes ago.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

16oz can into a snifter

A: Pours a nice amber with a big off-white head that lasts for a while and leaves plenty of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is awesome for a regular IPA. Tons of citrus/tropical fruits mostly in the form of apricot and mango. Very floral which is exactly what I was hoping for.

T: The taste is a bit muted as far as the nose but good nonetheless. Starts with a citrus blast of hops that fades slowly into a bittering finish. Couldn't detect much malt but I'm sure it's there.

M: The feel is medium-full bodied and slightly oily...leaves a nice coating of hoppy goodness on the palate.

D: This is a really good IPA and one I would buy all the time if it was available in my area.

Really been looking forward to trying this one and was finally hooked up by a friend on another site. Recommended if you like the hoppy sticky stuff.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

I received this in a trade with translucent, who really hooked me up right.

Poured into my Guinness Tulip Pint

A: Pours a coppery mix of amber and brown. An inch and a half of head which stays perfectly still on top of the beer. Different from other IPA's, whose head disappear quickly.
S: A very piney nose with a slight sweetness of malt on the tail end of it.
T: Flavor is much the same as the scent, the pine tingles the tongue up front, combining with the malt backbone giving Furious a nice earthy flavor on the back end.
M: This beer has a very chewy mouth with a good bit of carbonation.
D: Furious is a very earthy flavored IPA, that is low in alcohol and very easy to drink. The fact that it comes in a sixteen ounce can makes it very cool, and will make me wish I had a few of these in the cooler next time I'm golfing.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

Can check out the video review over on my blog if you want to actually see it

Review of Surly Furious

Packaging

Comes in a large, 1 pint can that is bright red! It reminds me an energy drink and with a name like Furious. I normally don't pick up packaging like this, not because its a can, but the design doesn't peak my interest all that much. But with friends recommending it left and right I had to. One thing I don't like about cans is that the tops capture dust and dirt that you could put your lips on. Other than that, cans are just fine with me.

I also like this can because it describes the beer. Love descriptions!
Appearance

A bronze and reddish hue, this beer is clear as heck. Not a speck of yeast, nor carbonation. The head on this beer is the winner though. It is big, it is thick, and it is lasting. The lace is awesome!
Smell

Smells hoppy and citrusy. Big time. That is all.
Taste

It tastes like hops, but it is more citrus hops than bitter. There is a citrus sweetness that is apparent to me. I thought I would get more caramel, like the can suggests, but it is very subtle compared to the citrus sweetness. This is a very classic American IPA though where the hop citrus comes out more than anything I taste. If you let it warm up a bit more it will start to take on more caramel, but not a lot.
Mouthfeel

Medium I'd say. Pretty run of the mill. Nothing to really point out.
Drinkability

Sold in 4-packs, this is probably just right. After drinking four pints of this you'll be well on your way. I am afraid that if you go to anything lighter it will lack any flavor. I would suggest going to something of a different profile first. Basically go for something in the stout or porter family.
Overall

Great beer. It's hoppy and sweet citrus. If you don't like those, stay away. If your a hop head, give it a try and tell me what you think. I'm not sure I like the marketing message, but I feel targeting towards a younger generation, the Red Bulls and Rockstars, is a good idea as they will be the ones buying beer in the future. A recommendation by my friend Entrail and Marty, by brewing friend got me to try this one and I thank you two!

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Sent to me by Hayesz. Thanks, Erik!

Poured out of a pint can into my Stone IRS snifter

A - Pours a deep amber color with a finger width of fluffy white head. The head settles after a couple minutes to leave a nice ring on top of the beer. nice lacing left on the glass

S - Smell is of piney hops with a sweet malt backbone. Very nice for the style. Some resin and caramel mix in nicely. not overpowering, but it's all there.

T - it pretty much follows the nose. Resin and piney hops hit the tongue immediately followed by some sweet biscuit and caramel from the malt.

M - prickly on the tongue from the carbonation, yet a creamy mouthfeel. Nice combination.

D - I could definitely drink more of this.

Still weird to get an IPA in a tall boy can. But I like it!

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Received from kbutler1 in a recent trade. I've had Furious several times, but have never reviewed it. Split with my former graduate assistant during a return visit to his alma mater. Split between two pint glasses.

Pours a beautifully deep amber color. Clear and dark, but when held up to the light, the now butterscotch colored brew emits streaks of bright orange. A thick, soft, off-white head is nicely perched on top of the beer and shows great retention throughout the session. Nicely weaved lacing is left along the entire pint glass.

Smells of hoppy goodness mixed with a tropical fruit basket. Fresh hops mix well with grapefruit, several sweet fruits (perhaps pineapple, orange, and others). This is just the way I like IPAs (is that what we're calling this one now?) to smell.

The taste begins with a mild sweetness that quickly turns to a furious hoppiness. A bit of pine is mixed in there as well, but this thing is smooth. The bitterness lingers, but does not detract. Often I find that the bitterness of your average IPA leaves a somewhat unfavorable lingering taste, but this is not the case with Furious. It is a nice brew! I favor the medium to full bodied thickness of the beer as well. It lacks just a tad of the creaminess of the upper-tiered IPAs, but is still a fine, fine beer.

Overall, I must say that Surly has hit a homer. I tried this for the first time several years ago when Shold brought a few cans down to the Haute. I was a bit skeptical at first, but was quickly convinced. This continues to impress - Surely Surly does it right!

Consumed: 3/25/2010

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

Thank you thank you thank you to Roburg for stocking his apartment with a four pack of Furious before I came to visit! This is a rare live review. Poured from the can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass (my first experience with the perfect pint).

A: Pours a very hazy caramel amber. It has a finger of off white head that collapses into a patchy, nebulous cap (it actually looks remarkably like a spiral galaxy as it's going down the glass). Splotchy lacing.

S: Hops take the lead, fruity and floral. There's an herbal presence as well. The malts back it up with sweet toffee.

T: Citrus hops dominate, unsurprisingly. Relentlessly resiny and oily and bitter. The overall effect is earthy, almost reminds me of a rye beer. There's a caramel compliment which balances but doesn't get in the way.

M: Light, active pinprick carbonation. Medium bodied, and very slick.

D: An amazing hop bomb, with almost no detectable booze. A very dangerous beer, as I could easily down the four pack without thinking twice. This one was definitely worth the wait.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 16oz can with Zapps after a fluke tennis game. A big thanks to Thorpe429 for including this one as an extra! Very cool trader. My first surly product... can't wait.

A - Hazy Dark Amber - Deep white head.

S - Big pineapple and pine scent. So clean and strong. The hops are so intense. Great stuff.

T - Intense fruity burst. Tart as hell with some strong caramel coming through. Wow this is a huge ipa.

M - Intense flavorful ipa. Takes no prisoners.

D - A bitter fruity ipa. Drinkable? If you can handle it.

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured with a small light tan head (bartender proly wanted to give a full pour) and good lace. Color was a clear coppery medium amber. REALLY hoppy earthy aroma with a hint of citrus. Flavors about the same but much bigger. Good malt to hop balance. Hoppy yet easy finish. Could be session.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes 3/18/10

A: Darker than expected. Scarlet highlights. Head vanishes quickly...thin layer remains. Clingy. Good looking beer.

S: Loads of citrus present as soon as its poured. Not picking up much else.

T: Very well balanced. Citrus again, with some pine. Carmel sweetness in there as well. Flavor-wise this reminds me of HopDevil, but I haven't had one of those in a while.

M: All good here. Maybe just a little under-carbonated. Kinda thin. Good overall.

D: Drinkability is perfect for a single IPA @ 6.2abv. I've only got one of these but I'd love to have another.

Nice beer from Surly. I've previously only had the Coffee Bender and it was good. Looking forward to dinking the bottle of Darkness I've got hiding in the "cellar." I'll definitely try to grab some more Furious in the future.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Served from a 16 oz can. Big thanks to gibby for this one!

Appearance - Has an orange-amber color with an off-white head. The head is about a finger or so and has some pretty nice lacing on it.

Smell - Lots of floral and spicy hops, some citrus, grapefruit, and hints of sweetness.

Taste - It's got a piney bite to it that I enjoy. It has a sweetness to it from the balance of malt but ends with a resiny flavor. It seems to get smoother as it comes up to temperature.

Mouthfeel - Seems well carbonated for the style. It's got some body to it but it's not too thick. It's a very smooth IPA.

Drinkability - I really enjoy this one. It's smooth, has some hop kick, some balancing malt sweetness, good carbonation, and the ABV seems to work well with it. I could definitely drink a few of these.

3.13/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from the can into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy brownish orange with a fluffy white head. Mild lacing shows up due to the hop oils and proteins.

S: Resinous, spicy hops with herbal undertones, with some mild orange. Nothing great, though.

T: Mildly disappointing at first - a bit watery. Herbal, bitter, a bit alkaline. There is some spice evident, not any real sweetness in the least. I can't get over the watery taste. As it warms, a bit of malty sweetness is revealed. It finishes clean, but with a bit of alkaline flavor. Some sour tartness shows up in the beginning, bitter in the middle with sparking baking soda and CO2 flavors.

M: Average, fine.... Good carbonation, nice density and thickness.

D: I was so disappointed after all the hype. Just nothing special, no real depth of flavor, and way too much alkaline flavors going on.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass from a 16oz metal can. Nice markings on the can to include "99 IBUs". Should be interesting. Popping the can doesn't release any noteworthy carbonation sounds. The pout produces a mild one finger head. The resolution is nice, with good lacing on the sides of the glass (left enough headroom on the pour). Color is a clear orange-amber with ample carbonation feeding the remaining head.

Smell - A fruit cup. No really, not grapefruit, not piney resin, a fruit cup. Some caramel as well but a refreshing nose to draw you into the depths of this offering.

Taste - First the hops, have to make mention of the obvious. Yes, they are present here in ample quantities, but the "force" behind them is well-balanced with a very present malty backbone. There is depth to this hop presence, more so than I've tasted in many DIPAs which seem to be more focused on "quantity". Yes, this is an IPA, a very tasty IPA. The expected finishing hop bite was very blunted (which is very much welcomed to this malt lover). Enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - The body is very dense for this offering. Lots to chew on here. There is a creaminess here that is outstanding. Nice "layering" on the tongue while at the same time a tongue-cleansing finish.

Drinkability - Perhaps my can had some age on it, or I've been trying to expand into DIPAs recently that I very much enjoyed this IPA. Top 10 IPA? Yes, well-ranked from my limited experience/perspective. I liked it better than Sculpin. I need more of this.

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

Thanks alot to Supercolter for this one!!!

12oz can into a Pint Glass

A- Poured a Dark golden brown with a thin yet fluffy beige/off white head that left great lacing on the way down

S- Very piney floral hops hit you up front with a hint of citrus and almost orange backround.

T- Much like the smell the raw earthy piney hop flavor dominates but when you get past them the delicious caramel malts create a solid medium body and flavorful backround of this brew.

M- Moderate carbonation tickles the tongue on the way down leaving a decent bitter dryness that makes you want to drink more!

Overall this is an excellent and very flavorful IPA. Probabaly one of the best I've come across so far.

SkÅL!