Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,433
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 16 oz can into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a great looking burnt orange with a good amount of yeast floating around in there. There is about two finger's worth of head and recedes slowly leaving some enticing lace along the side of the glass. I am liking the looks of this beer.

S- Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had a chance to experience. The hops are so pronounced, almost like fresh tea mixed with grapefruit. The smell bursts out of the can once it is cracked.

T- This one doesn't disappoint. A pretty evenly balanced beer with the citrusy hops and a little bit of bitterness. Tastes like there is also a tea bag in there. The malt provides a solid background to smooth things out. All I can really say is wow.

M- A great medium bodied brew that has a good amount of bite from the hops and from the carbonation. Yet, at the same time, this beer is very smooth and goes down quite easy.

D- Perhaps my favorite IPA, heck this may even be my favorite beer. If I lived in Minnesota, there would never be a time when this wouldn't be in my fridge. If you get a chance to try this beer, do it. You will regret it otherwise. Here's to Surly for making one hell of a beer, in a can nonetheless.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

One of the benefits of living right outside Minneapolis is having Surly on tap at a bunch of spots.

A: Pours a Red-Orange that glows like a jack-o-lantern when held to light. 2 fingers of off-white head adorn the top, and...

S: ...give off the fierce aroma of hops hops hops. It finishes with a little bit of tangy sweetness, obviously the citrus shining through.

T: the taste is on the order of magical. It's not as aggressive as some IPA's, but the balance is so much better. There's still a ton of hoppy-goodness (hoppyness?) and that grapefruit bite comes back at the end to seal the deal. Not too fruity, not TOO hoppy, and with enough of a malt backbone to keep it balanced.

M & D: Another great one from Surly, it feels almost creamy in the mouth, which almost seems unexpected from something so dang hopalicious.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appropriately reviewing this one because I am Furious about going back to school tomorrow...

A: A rich cherry brown with a bright white/tan head with bubbles that linger on and on...

S: Citrus and floral! Hops that emit quite the grapefruit aroma. Sweet and powerful--sends shock waves through the nostrils. Gooey caramel and warm sugar. The main base is formed from the intense hops and grapefruit.

T: Different than I remember... grapefruit is strong and punches your taste buds with its intensity. Mouth-watering and tasty. Very sweet and sugary, but the bitterness tones this down nicely. As it warms the familiar feelings of mouth-puckering and eye-watering power come flooding back. I'm not disappointed. Awesome freshly picked grapefruit, with citrus and pine.

M: Like a lightning bolt of flavor. The bitterness practically turns my mouth inside out, but in a completely amazing way. Carbonation is strong, like the rest of this beer. Not one aspect of this creation comes at you with less than 110%.

D: Extremely delicious and enjoyable, however the intensity makes for an interesting experience. In smaller quantities, this one is awesome- but more than that... I'm not too sure my stomach or mouth could handle it!

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

muchos gracias mchlipala.

a can of woodsy treasure! i open the can and a texas grapefruit cut in quarters spills into my glass. i taste of the fruit and it reveals an evergreen forest. from these pines, only grapefruits grow. i pick one with timid hand to find that, lo, it tastes of mint! no longer afraid, i stride confidently in these woods, plucking these fruits as i please. once my stroll is complete, i step out of the woods and am already panged with longing. even 15 minutes later, my mouth still feels the resin of these hops. i don't know why this beer is so angry when i love it so.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Beer pours a deep amber color with about a half inch of head into my oversized pint glass.

Smells of grapefruit and citrus very clean smell crisp.

Taste is an explosion of hops and grapefruit. A lot of taste going on here. Big chewy slightly sweet malt profile balanced by big bitterness. Tastes like a delicious bitter and thick citrus hop tea.

Mouthfeel is very thick for an IPA and drinkability are great. Moderate carbonation.

This beer will not weigh you down to much at around 6% abv, can and have drank this beer all night many a time.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Can given to me by Josh at Vintage Estates, real cool dude, knows i like beer and decided to pass this one on!

A-nice looking hazy red amber color that pours a thick two fingers of a slightly off white head that brings solid retention and leaves a light lacing on the glass

S-the smell is huge and hoppy, so nice. Big resigny pine smell accompanied by grapefruit and some citrus with a sweet malt backing of brown sugary goodness.

T-extremely tasty, very much like the nose it has a huge piney resign taste with some nice grapefruit in there as well. there is a hint of alcohol towards the back with a nice hop bitterness taking over and lingering

M-very nice body, something like medium, with a creamy mouthfeel but somehow slick on the back of the throat. nicely carbonated, not too much not too little.

D-this is awesome, huge flavors, big hops, up there on my top single ipa list! wish we got this on the regular in pittsburgh!

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. 6.2% ABV, 99 IBUs, no date.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for the last of the four Surly brews he gave me!

A - A relatively moderate pour unleashes a fury of foam. A three-finger, cream-colored hear rises and refuses to leave. Once it does, the patchy lace makes it look like head is still there from the side. The body is a clear red-amber color with apricot orange highlights.

S - Even over a foot away I can smell the pungent aroma of resiny, grapefruit-filled hops. A hint of pine lingers in the background with a hint of malty sweetness. Predominantly though, it smells as if someone just cut into a fresh grapefruit.

T - Almost tongue-shreddingly hoppy, Furious is rather furious. Lots of malt with a bit of caramel, some honey, and a bready touch support the hop wallop. Floral and lightly piney, there are some resins here but it's not as grapefruity as the nose lets on.

M - Medium-bodied and smooth that's borderline chewy, it's still...a crisp beer. The finish isn't harshly bitter as one would expect but it's close. Very dry.

D - As much as I like it, I'd probably call it quits on this brew after one. A bit overpowering in flavor to be very drinkable but it is a damn good brew.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

16 oz can provided by Mistofminn. Thanks Brad!!! Served in a Nonic Pint Glass.

A: Beautiful finger and 1/2 of marshmallow fluff. Stays around for quite some time. Pours a beautiful amber that's not quite opaque, but a little cloudy. Lots of active carbonation. Lacing is thick and adheres to the side of the glass. Very, very nice for a IPA.

S: Sweet citrusy hop notes. Pineapple, mango, orange, etc... Malts provide a little bit of sweetness.

T: The hops are a great mix of citrus and earthy notes. Just like the nose, there's some of the pineapple, but also some resiny pine thrown in. Most impressive is the perfect balance between the hops and the malts. The bitterness from the hops is matched with the sweetness from the malts.

M: Medium bodied. Doesn't get much better than this in an IPA. The carbonation helps negate the underlying stickiness. Rolls over the tongue with a nice prickly smoothness.

D: A sessionable IPA if I've ever seen (or in this case, drank) one. The 6.2 ABV is not at all noticeable. There is very little harsh bitterness, so your palate feels fresh ready for another. My 16oz went far to fast and I wish I had another in the fridge.

Surly is well known around the country for their line of quality brews, and I feel safe in saying Furious is their flagship offering. A fantastic Midwest IPA that will stand up to any competitors for some time. If I had access to this beer, I'd be in my fridge 365 days of the year!

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 160z can into a Captain Lawrence pint glass. On a side note, I'm glad Surly makes their cans 160z... 120z is just not enough for the stuff they make!!!

A: Gentle pour yields a fluffy light peach-colored head with unbelievable retention. The head just sticks to the sides of the glass all the way down. Beer is a crystal clear blood orange. Lacing is frothy, ample.

S: Nose is a bit spicy and has quite a bite. Citrus is apparent as is the cane sugar sweetness. Piney hops are hidden in the background but come out with a nice nose dip.

T: Astringent citrus hops clamp down on me on the first sips. This lasts and lasts and lasts, finally mellowing out towards the end. I go in for a second sip and get the same. My taste buds really struggle to find something else and a bit of maltiness finally screams out towards the end. However, this is covered quickly by the overwhelming hops again. Finish is more of the same. The piney hops grab you from the beginning with this one and never really lets go.

M: Light bodied and very wet. Another thirst quencher. Coarse and carbonated. Finishes messy and hops characters really linger on the palate. For the body, this really packs a kick.

D: A well deserved name, this is one MEAN beer. A bit overly hoppy for me but the body makes it bareable. There is little balance here. Citrus and malt character is present but in no way do they balance out the hops. Glad I got to try it and wouldn't hesitate to have another, but not one of my favorite IPAs.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

I've had this brew many times but never got around to reviewing it (and by many I probably mean like 3-4 times). As I was clearing out the notes on my phone I found this one from Darkness Day '09. Dry hopped with Simcoe. Drank from a fancy smancy plastic cup.

Appearance- Pours a light reddish orange with a beautifully fluffy one finger bright white head with redonkulous staying power. About a half inch head is maintained the entire beer with rings and rings of thick lacing left in my king's chalice.
Smell- Fairly subdued, especially compared to the normal version but damned nice. Some light fruits consisting of pineapple and peach permeate my plastic vessel. I'd even dare say that the nose is almost more floral than it is fruity. Has a nice lilac or rose scent that's nice but nothing manly. Not sure why but the tea-bagged version is so much smoother around than edges than regular, but it is.
Taste- Again, a bit softer around the edges. Still plenty fruity and plenty bitter with that piney edge I love. Some grapefruit pith as the bitterness is initial but sort of melds into this wonderfully piney goodness. One thing I love about Furious is that a little malt is actually noticeable (unlike most west coast gems) with a touch of caramel and toast. Again, tastes a lot like the regular, just toned down. Nothing that discernibly tastes like tea though.
Mouthfeel- Rich and creamy with a nice full feel and silky smooth cask carbonation.
Drinkability- No way you could call this beer anything but super drinkable. Anything on cask is amazing first of all, but just the fact that it's a rounded Furious is enough to know it's great. I'm not real sure how much the dry hopped Simcoe added but either way; badass brew!

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Poured a clear amber-red color with a foamy off white head. The head receded to a thin cap after a few minutes, but left a heavy veil of sticky lacing down the inside of the glass.

S - Very nice hop aroma. Heavy piney hop aroma that almost seems to have a bit of citrus character as well. The nose is excellent in this brew!

T & M - The bold taste mimics what I smelled, the piney hops kick hard up front with a bit of sweet malt on the back end to balance the hop bite. Medium bodied creamy mouthfeel. Finishes with a bit of a hoppy aftertaste.

D - At 99 IBU's, this is bordering on an extreme hop beer. The way it is crafted really makes it a tasty brew, maybe not extremely sessionable, but certainly highly drinkable. I would recommend this to anybody that appreciates a good IPA.

16 oz can compliments of brian23456

Pours a relatively clear copper with a little sediment. Frothy, thick off white head that has excellent retention and leaves copious amounts of foamy, sticky lacing. Aroma is balance of smooth pine and resiny hops with sweet malt and mild toasted notes. Mouthfeel is medium thick with mild carbonation and a mild hop, resiny finish. Citrus and pine hop flavors in body are balanced by a strong bready and caramel malt body. The mouthfeel and drinkability of this IPA are exceptional for the style, however after having had a Sculpin earlier in the night it's hard to rate the taste and nose much higher than I have (not that I'm trying to directly compare them). The balance and smoothness are incredible for this beer, easily my favorite Surly beer I've tried yet.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Such a delicious beer! I've had it numerous times, but never got around to reviewing it until now. Poured from the can into my pint glass.

The beer is a coppery reddish-brown. It has good clarity with a light flow of carbonation running throughout. The initial off-white head is about 2 fingers, and it fades to a well-retained 1/2 finger skim of foam, leaving behind tons of very sticky lacing.

One of the best features of this beer is the smell. The hops come through nice and strong - they are earthy, piney and slightly citrusy - more like the rind than the flesh. There's a slight hint of the crispy toasted malts that verge barely on caramel sweetness.

Great taste reflects the fullness of the aroma. The flavor maintains boldness while being surprisingly balanced. The hops are delicious and and even juicy, both citrusy and earthy as in the smell. What I think are simcoe hops dominate the taste. A great foundation of very toasty and slightly caramelly malts supports the hoppiness nicely. The alcohol creeps through a little in the taste, and the feel is nicely, lightly carbonated and mouthfilling.

Definitely one of the most drinkable beers I've had, regardless of style. Wish I could get it regularly where I live. Thanks for the hookup, bamadog!

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a ruddy brown color with a dense off-white head, very sticky, lots of lacing. The smell is a big hit of pine, citrus peel, raw minerals, a little savory note at the end. The taste is brutal on the hops: pine, mostly, with some grapefruit peel, some faint sweet malts down in there. Not in the least bit balanced, but enjoyable anyway. It's moderately carbonated, thick and sticky. Too much of a hop bomb to drink much of -- last night I split a can with two friends, and I think that little bit was the perfect amount.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A - This beer poured a beautiful light bronze orange color that produced a fluffy white head that had a great amount of retention and left a beautiful lacing effect around the side of the glass

S - The aroma produced by this beer is out of this world, a nice bunch of pale malts followed by some great bouquet of floral and citrus hops

T - The taste of this beer is beyond a doubt one of the best tasting IPA's on the market, generous amounts of pale malts, black tea, floral and citrus hops, lots of grapefruits, orange, lemon

M - The mouthfeel of this beer is without a doubt one of the best I have ever tried, medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, perfect for the style

D - By far one of the best IPAs I have ever had, maybe the tea taste is what sets this one apart, but this is one close to perfect beer, I think there is only one other IPA that I enjoy more, only slightly

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

This was brought to me in time for the holidays along with some Bell's Two-Hearted by a friend from Minnesota. I had one last night out of the can but now it's time to sit down for a proper review. It really is quite a unique and delicious IPA.

A - Pours a hazy ruby-amber with a one finger frothy tan head. The head is extremely dense and retentive on this one and the lacing is very sticky.

S - Loads of citrus and pine hops. The scent of grapefruit is very overpowering although there is also a very sweet caramel malt backbone. Very very intense hop aroma for any beer.

T - Much like the smell. I get hit with so much hop flavor at first that I am overwhelmed to detect anything else. Finishes a bit dry and the aftertaste is very buttery and toasty. The hops seem to diminish rather quick but that initial hop rush is intense. Has a rather grassy/earthy aspect to it as well.

M - Medium bodied and sticky. The carbonation level seems a tad low. Feels very "sharp" in my mouth almost like punch or champagne.

D - This is one I would savor. Since it comes in a 4-pack of tall boys, I'd recommend spreading them out over a couple of sittings.

Overall, the legendary things I have heard about Surly hold up. I only wish I had other varieties to try. This one is right up my alley and any hophead would be a fool not to try this if they come across it. It reminds me very much of Gordon beer by Oskar Blues, but lacks the potency to make it more drinkable. Outstanding.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Big thanks to jkblodge for this extra.

4.0 A: Clear orange amber color. Two fingers of frothy, yet dense head that retains exceptionally well. Super sticky and leaves tons of lacing.

4.5 S: Lots of citrusy and piney hops and lots of sweet malts too. Grapefruit and orange citrus with resiny pine. Though the hops run the show, the malts give strong aroma too. Lots of caramel sweetness.

4.0 T: Drier than I expected, yet still not super bitter. Hop flavor centers around resiny and piney hops with grapefruit in the background. Malts aren't as complex as in the nose and lend a soft sweetness with a touch of toastiness. Still, this is very tasty.

3.5 M: Light body. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. I know a lot of people like a low FSG with their IPAs, but I like thicker, maltier bodies on mine.

4.0 D: Great aroma and taste, but mouthfeel could use some reinforcement. That said, I'd never turn one of these down. A well crafted beer, but could be hoppier.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to my buddy Jeff for picking up a 4 pack of this on his latest road trip which happened to be to Minnesota. Anytime he hits the road, I give him a list and he has yet to fail me. Review is from notes taken on 12/18/2009 and poured from the can to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a rich caramel/coppery color and starts with a one finger, slightly off-white head that fades toa full skim with some chunkier spots here and there; body is clear and shows moderate carbonation; spotty sticky lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Hop bliss... Tons of sticky piney hops followed by a sweet caramel malty backing, exactly what a great IPA should be - tons of hops up front and that firm support of malt in the back.

Taste: Straight up front piney hop bitterness with a very slight caramel malt presence that provides just a minimal amount of balance that really allows the hop bitterness to dominate the flavors as they should; simple straightforward and awesome; there is a slight coppery metallic bite at the end of it, but I can live with that.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth; again smooth carbonation; sticky pine resin leaves a fair coating all over the mouth.

Drinkability: Very high, I could drink this all day if it was available in this area. I can really see why it's in the top 100.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

16 oz can poured into a tulip.
Dark red-brown with a sudsy white head.
Smell is amazing - a full array of juicy, fruity hops overlaying a caramel malt body. Not able to name all the varieties in there, but it's safe to say they used plenty of the mainstays, and then threw a few more types just for good measure.
Flavor is a bitchslap of grapefruit and pine. Eventually as the beer warms enough I'm able to pick up the more of the malt flavors, mainly burnt toffee. The 99 IBUs are very apparent, although I'd describe it as more of a smooth bitterness than a biting bitterness. Hop oils cling to the tongue from the sip through the finish. In my experience, there are few if any beers out there at 6.2% that carry this much flavor.
Mouthfeel is light, but full. It's smooth and a carbonated just right.

Worldclass - one of the best IPAs out there and my personal favorite. Looking forward to the day I will be able to get this on a regular basis again.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy amber color with a nice beige head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing. Aroma features extremely strong pine and citrus (grapefruit) notes with earthy and caramel notes beneath it. Taste is almost a disappointment after the power that the aroma suggests. Not that its bad, just the aroma is so appealing. Taste begins with hop bitterness and finishes with a smooth caramel maltiness that balances it without taking away from the hops. Seems to have a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that makes it quite drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Served from a 16oz.can acquired in a trade from stig (Thanks man!) into my 20oz. Stone nonic pint at the appropriate temperature.

A: Pours a rusty copper color with a two finger head of an off-white foam with decent retention and lacing. Slightly darker than I was expecting.

S: Beautiful bouquet of tropical fruit hops with a great degree of citrus along with a mild backbone of a slight caramel malt.

T: Tropical hops hit the palate first with layers of grapefruit and orange finishing with a piney finish. A nice subtle semi-sweet caramel malt rounds out the flavor quite nicely.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a slightly fuller flavor than many American IPAs.

D: Incredible drinkable as bitterness is never overwhelming and the balance between the hops and the malt is spot on for the style.

Overall this was an exceptional American IPA that is certainly worthy of its great reputation. Thanks again Kyle for supplying me with this. Recommended.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to BigBry for this one!

The beer is copper color looking and is cloudy. The head is beige, creamy and sticks quite well to the glass. In fact, it sticks very well to the glass. Nice looking beer. The aroma is amazing! Very intense. Piny hops that I can get even when I'm pouring the beer in the glass. I get some citrus too. The taste is absolutely amazing. Citrusy hops and just enough malts to balance it very well. I get some caramel notes too. Not overly bitter for the strong hops smell. I guess they put just enough malts to keep the bitterness not too aggressive.

Medium body and the taste stays in the mouth so well, it is exceptional. Awesome beer.

This reminds me of Dieu Du Ciel's La Corne du Diable... both beers are very close to each other in terms of aroma and taste.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This can of Furious was made possible by mothman, it is appreciated.

Steady pour into my Duvel Tulip. Rusted orange body sways a little closer to red than the average IPA. Creamy two finger alabaster head towers over slowly retreating. Left behind is a thick sheet of lacing which encompasses the glass.

Bright and fresh citrus hops entice the nose. Subtle pine and hints of tropical fruit aromas are also provided by the masterful use of hops. Buttery caramel malt plays second fiddle but is not to be ignored.

The hops are intense. The citrus hits first followed closely by a pinyness not anticipated from the nose. Caramel malt provides a sturdy base for the hops to pile on. Very hop forward while still maintaining much needed balance. Resinous hop oil embeds itself in the tongue reminding you of the battering which just took place.

The body lands itself just south of full. Creaminess to the mouthfeel which is rarely associated with a world class IPA. Very smooth with carbonation befitting the style.

Tremendously drinkable brew. Though my experience with Surly in very limited, they do not disappoint. Very aspect of this brew has hit the mark. Without question it is a pleasure to enjoy this one.

Appearance: nice red hazy, small amounts of b-ll float with in my beer

Smell: Grapefruit, sweet pine, hardy citric

Head: Big and Creamy

Taste: Right off the Bat grapefruit and maltyness then pine come in to play on the sides of my palate

Weight: Medium to heavy on the body, carbonation seems low to medium

Finish: Yummy, the flavors of Furious stays on my palate with seems forever

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Looks nice and amber colored, with a sticky white lacy head. How an IPA should look.

S - Bitter sweet. You can smell the hops as they go swimming in the air. The aroma is so damn inviting and piney and hoppy that I cannot give it lower than a 5. Damn the smell is good.

T - Starts off Hoppy, then sweet, then slight malt, then gone. The hops do not stay long enough to warrant more than a 5 rating, but still deserves a 4.0 for tasting damn good.

M - Sticky, dry, and hoppy. Leaves you thirsty for more IPA.

D - This beer is something I would keep drinking. I want to open my 2nd can cus it is so good, but will hold off and wait to share it with DwnTwnBrwn. This beer is one that you drink, like the flavor, and ask yourself, why don't I have more of this?

O - This is a mighty damn fine IPA. Get some if you can, trade for it if you can't.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company