Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,428
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

I happened upon this on cask at Buster's tonight.

This beer looks pretty darn good as it is presented in my tulip glass. Unfortunately the bartender didn't give me a generous pour and about 1 1/2 inches are missing from the top. The head is very nil, with some lingering lace on the sides as it is served to me. It has a burning, clear amber color with a few hop and yeast particles floating about. What hits me next is a comet of hoppy aromas. I can nearly smell the aromatic, citrusy hop aromas as the waitress carries the beer over to me. Grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and even some piney aromas are present. A very complex, hoppy aroma. This is perhaps one of the most pleasantly hoppy aromas I've experienced. I don't get any malts, but this is ok with me. The flavor is definitely a hop fest. The flavor wasn't overly bitter, like I would expect from the diffusely hoppy aroma. It is actually a little less brash than the standard Furious. I do get fantastic flavors from the flavor hops with a strong citrus presence and a final bitterness. The malts are sorta here, with some mild sweetness to balance the hops. This beer kinda reminds me of homebrew in the flavor, but in a good way. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I'd like. One of my favorite thing about cask beers is the velvety mouthfeel. This doesn't has one, but thats ok.

Overall, this is a pretty memorable beer. The hop boquet is like nothing I've ever experienced. I wish they made a candle to emminate aromas like this. The flavor is really damn good, but the slight lack of malts take away the "iconical" status. The only down side was the weak mouthfeel. Maybe the next cask I try will be better in that department. Nevertheless, I will seek this out again and will recommend it strongly to any hopophile.

brewdoc75, Dec 11, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

My buddy was fortunate enough to receive this as an extra in a trade, and after tasting, I immediately set up a trade for a 4pack of my own. Thanks treyrab and hogwildliquor!!

Ruby red in color with an oh so slight haze to it. A thin layer of head from pour that leaves very quickly with no lacing to be seen

The smell is really what gets me, its a straight kick in the nose! Awesome fruits and hops come out here, tons of grapefruit, orange, and lemon. It is so powerful but the flavors are smoothed out to perfection, creating a great expectation for the palate.

On the tongue... very crisp and refreshing. The fruity flavors mentioned above are slightly masked by the hops, with lots of grapefruit pouring through. Some of the orange in the smell gets hidden in the tastes. The beer has a nice bitter bite that leads well into a good hop kick.

A good representation of the style

CoolJosh, Dec 08, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a foggy ruby hued amber with a crème head. Nose is strong citrus (grapefruit) and stronger piney resin. Flavor is quite sharp. Brings the expected bitter tone with firm leafy tones and a supremely hoppy presence. Almost comes off as a very hoppy amber ale. Like I said, a sharp flavor profile. Feel has a biting carbonation and the liquid is thicker. Nice to drink. Very heavy, but this is what the hop heads like.

Thanks to mashmaster for this extra!

RblWthACoz, Dec 07, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +13%

This beer is absolutely bursting with hoppy aroma and flavor. The moment you open the can it gives off such a resiny citrus hop aroma. It pours into the glass a dark amber to copper color with a nice creamy head that appears to lose nothing from the brewers' beloved canning method. The taste, oh the taste! This packs as much flavor as many of the DIPAs that I have tried. It is so citrusy, piney, and bitter. It doesn't forget about the malts either. The one knock that I have is that the mouthfeel is not 100% where I think it should be. I think it could be a little more full bodied, not to say that it is bad by any means. Man is this beer drinkable though. If you are ever in St. Paul or your beer store gets a case of this beer you should have no qualms about buying a full case or too. Plus, how many times can you say that you have had an A overall beer out of a can?

BeenJammin, Dec 05, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

Can, thanks to mreusch. Pours a slightly cloudy dark amber with a small white head. Aroma of grassy hops and grapefruit. Flavor of citrus, sour grapefruit, lemons, iced tea, grassy hops. An alright IPA, but somewhat one-dimensional. Doesn't make the "great-IPA" cut for me.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 04, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Got a couple cans in trade from DonOsborn. Thanks man!

a - Clear amber and 1-2 fingers head. Head holding well, smooth and small bubbles.

s - Holy fresh hops! It's like smelling a bag of hops. Wow, fantastic. I wish I knew enough to identify the varieties.

t - Nice hop flavor, like it's hopbursted. Not very bitter. Nice malt backbone and huge hop flavor and aroma. Great.

m - not really smooth but agreable. Some dry bittering at the end.

d - Very high.

Notes - I can't believe how much hop aroma and flavor are in this beer. Really great stuff, and it must be pretty darn fresh!

jojox, Dec 03, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a growler via trade into my DFH tulip glass. Growler was maybe 2 weeks old.

A: A nice amber orange color with a minimal one finger head on a pretty aggresive pour. Remember this is a growler pour. Nice lacing.

S: Grapefruit smells come barreling through with some hints of pine earth and faint sweetness.

T: Grapefruit is so evident on this beer when fresh, mostly grapefruit with a bit of orange citrus and a hint of pine needles. So hoppy but the sweet caramel type malt stands rigth behind the hops. Hops bitterness lingers on the finish of course.

M: Medium mouthfeelt that coats and lingers. No hint of alcohol.

D: High, I finished the growler in one afternoon.

Overall I think I like the Furious a bit more from the can. Some of the flavors pop a bit more from that can and are not so grapefruity as the fresh growler. Still such a kick ass beer that I wish I could drink all the time.

Kadonny, Dec 01, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Had on "guest tap" at Lunar outside of Chicago.

A- Amazing looking orange color with incredible head and retention. On tap really helps.

S- Perfect sweet grapefruit, fresh citrus.

T- Light delicious hops. Some IPA's are really head bashing, but these are nicely balanced with the rest.

M- light and refreshing carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. Could have stayed for a couple of these beers.

inhoc00, Nov 30, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a very pretty somewhat dark orange/red with a thick foamy 1 inch head. Smells of intense fresh citrusy hops dominate the nose. First sip is all hop bitterness that is matched by a just strong enough malt backbone providing an excellent mouthfeel. Very hearty, very clean, very robust. Nice.

ATLbeerDog, Nov 29, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Surely this can of Surly couldn't compare with a bottled beer. You are correct. It doesn't compare. It is actually better than most bottled IPA's. Aroma and flavor is full of piney hops and rich malts. Pours a dark amber with a nice sized head. Pine, pineapple, big hops and big malts. A sticky brew and I loved it. One last thing.... Did I mention anything about BIG HOPS!!! It is like my nose was smashed into a pine tree!!!!

brewbucker, Nov 29, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Pours a light amber with a decent white head and a lot of bubbles.
S: Huge hoppy smell. Really fresh smelling, I thought it was pretty floral, although most other people seem to be picking up on citrusy flavors. Also some pine.
T: Same as the smell, a bit of sweetness and light smokiness at the end.
M: Really lively, although it settles down somewhat quickly.
D: Good session beer, get it pretty often when I'm in MN.

lhaqq, Nov 29, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Amber to crimson and slightly cloudy beerage pours out with a nice lasting eggshell head.

S: Piney hops are in my face with a big grapefruit followup punch.

T: Ripe and sweet ruby-red grapefruit and pine hops flavorings. Finish is lingeringly and deliciously bitter. Great use of bittering. Damned good.

M: Consistency gets me just right, and a fine carbonation elevates it to the same plateau of fine craftsmanship.

D: Just a damn quality IPA here from Surly. I would definitely like to have another one of these to drink or even session. Finished this one too fast. I have to say, I have not really ever been impressed by IPAs brewed outside of my own backyard (California), but Furious has finally done it. Consider me impressed.

vacax, Nov 29, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Surly Furious has a dark copper colour and a decent sized head with pretty damn good retention and good retention. Since the beer is canned, one would expect the beer to have a slight tin nose or taste, but the beer definitely does not. The nose comes accross of a deep citrus flavour with a slight grapefruit and peach hint. The fruitiness comes entirely from the hops, but smells wonderful. When drinking the beer the huge bitterness of 100 IBUs hit you intially, but the Amarillo and Simcoe hops jump out at your tastebuds, making you want to have another drink. The beer is so incredibly hoppy, but at the same time, it's balanced! The flavours and aroma while drinking this beer, just blow me away. With the complex malts and hops that jump out at you, this is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. The mouthfeel is creamy and exactly what I'd expect on an IPA. This beer is stupidly drinkable.

swizzlenuts, Nov 29, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Cheers to HogWildLiquor for this one, thanks Cody!

Pours copper with 3+ fingers of tan head. Very good head retention & lacing

S: Pineyness & grapefruit in copious amounts, plus some breadyness as this warms

T: Grapefruit, lemons, & breadyness up front. Biscuitty malt & grapefruit/piney bitterness play well together as this warms. Finishes, dry, with some orange rinds, then the high alpha-acid assault continues, this just exudes fresh hoppyness in balance

MF: Medium bodied, smooth, superb balance

Drinks pretty easy, the bitter has enough malt backbone to balance this out. I could happily session on this one. i think this was little better in the can than the growler, but the growler itself is bad-ass

russpowell, Nov 27, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

1 pint can poured into an imperial pint glass, Furious is a chill hazed rusty amber with a tight, creamy egg-shell head, with long least leaving heavy lace. I love red IPAs!

Smell is bright, resinous hops, loads of citrus and some pine, a touch of sourness.

Taste is nice, huge grapefruit hop flavor, rich amber malts, crystal sweetness, just enough bitterness to counter without punishing, totally my style of IPA. The hops are one-dimensional, but it's my favorite dimension of NW hops and goes great with the malt. Here's a highly hyped beer worthy of the reputation, reminds me a lot of another big favorite, Lagunitas Lucky 13.

Mouthfeel is slick, spicy and dry, medium chewy body.

Drinkability is great, I love this style of IPA, and am really happy to get a chance to try this. One more can, probably won't last long at all!

ccrida, Nov 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

16 oz. can split with atsprings...thanks to deliriumfest for the trade.

Pours a gorgeously deep mahogany hue, clear with an active carbonation level. The off-white fluff of rocky head builds to an inch before slowly declining to a patchy cap, leaving sticky, fat rings of lacing in the process. Hard to beat this aroma: perfect balance of toffee and caramel malts combining with resinous, citrus hops.

Flavor is just as balanced, with sweet toffee and amber malts leading the way. The body could use a touch more hops, but the greenery soon makes itself known, delivering a sticky, piny finish. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body, somewhat viscous, with a decent carbonation level for a can. Overall, a solid IPA that ranks up there with some of the best. As atsprings and I agreed, it's right between Oscar Blues' Dale's Pale and Gordon. I'd certainly have this again.

wagenvolks, Nov 23, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to wagenvolks for the share! 160z can split into two Brooklyn tulips. Pours a nice deep amber with a nice frothy head that slowly diminishes to a thin layer and leaves great lacing. Aroma is a wonderful abundance of sweet malts and Earthy citrus hops I could smell as soon as I started pouring. The taste is nice balance of sweet malts just slightly overpowered by citrus hops, reminds me of Oscar Blues Gordon only a little lighter and sweeter. The beer is certainly light and crisp with slight carbonation. This is a very enjoyable beer, I want more!

atsprings, Nov 23, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to deliriumfest for the trade!

Pours a beautiful hazy, blood-orange color with an off-white head that leaves spectacular lacing. The aroma is intensely of grapefuit, pine, and sage with little to no malt, in my opinion. The taste takes over as the winner in this one. Fresh, wonderful hops take over and are balanced somewhat nicely by the malt. It's has a touch of spiciness to it, also. It has a medium body and finishes super dry. I wish I were able to pick this up locally...effin awesome.

My first Surly brew...definitely not my last!

Douglas14, Nov 22, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Wow, what a brew. Poured into a tulip pint glass, this is the most beautiful beer ever, lovely orange-copper color with a rich, creamy head. The smell of hops hits you before you even lift it up to drink, but close sniffing brings out classic pine and citrus hop aromas. The taste is fantastic, big hops up front, followed by an explosion of sweet malts, and rounded out with great hops bitterness which lingers until your next slug. This beer doesn't cheat you in any way. The beer is pretty crisp considering all the flavor and alcohol you are dealing with. They go down easy, but a couple of these can sneak up on you in a hurry. This would be my standard beer if I could get it on a regular basis. Bravo Surly.

TonyBaloney, Nov 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

thank you unclejedi for this.

pours a nice rich amber with a decent one and a half finger head. thewhit froth sticks around giving a nice contrast and then fades to a lair of perma foam. lacing is solid. I can se strict lines from my last two gulps.

smell is my favorite part of this. smell is a mix of fresh cut grass and pine. nice hop presence but has a nice cameo made by the malts.

taste is good. a solid ipa. a nice hop presence all the way through, leaving me with a lasting aftertaste.

mouth is good. full and smooth with just enough bite. the carbonation plays on the tounge a bit but not enough to be a distraction. a well balanced ipa.

I would plough through a sixer of these in a heartbeat. next step is to get surley to distribute to california.

Mauerhan, Nov 10, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Big thanks to deliriumfest for the hook up.

Two tone caramel bronze fluid under a thick bubbly white head. Spotty lace.

Big smell, prominent malts, but good hops presence as well. Really nice scent.

Taste comes on slow, like a hurricane, but the end is like putting a 9-volt battery on your tongue. It is furious. Got a grassy, tea leave quality to it. Not the best tasting IPA ever, solid though.

Medium body or just under. Carbonation is minimal, giving it a "down the hatch" feel.

I would have no problems drinking this all day.

Overall: I'm drinking the next one out the can

PatronWizard, Nov 10, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6%

From Old Notes:

Appearance is a cloudy dark amber with a nice head. Just a giant hop nose, yet the taste has a great balance not too aggressive very nice. I much prefer this one to normal Furious. This beer is much more drinkable and overall just a better then furious the "tea bagging" just puts this in a different category.

beckje01, Nov 10, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks paco for this beer!!!

A: Perfect and unique from any other IPA I have enjoyed. A very deep amber color that was very similar to a lot of Irish Reds I've had. A huge and frothy white head, with lacing that clinged to the glass. Simply amazing!!!

S: Piney with a mix of sweet malts...just about perfect.

T: To be honest, I was a little let down by the taste...especially after the intial aroma that this beer gave off. A very subtle mix of malt sweetness and piney character that is extremely well balanced...but doesn't pack that punch that I had anticipated from the smell. I also want to add that there was very little hop bitterness associated with this beer.

M: Very smooth with a light body...very low carbonation as well.

D: No indication of ABV with well-balanced taste...this beer is perfect to drink on any occasion. Could have an infinite amount of this beer on any day/night/party/whatever.

Overall: A great IPA with a very subtle taste. This beer makes me happy.

OlieIPA, Nov 09, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to gratefulstu for the great trade! Two new traders proving that awesome trades can happen no matter who it is with!

Beer for a glass, from a can... it couldn't be put any better. A slow pour into the pint glass led to a head that gradually got fuller as the glass filled. A great dark mahogany brown pour with an almost beehive structured head that tries to fall but holds onto the glass with every ounce of energy it has... and bygonit this beer has a lot of energy. Lacing? You bet your damned ass... F'n spiderman lacing

I poured the beer a good 15 inches away from me and the aroma took over the area. I smelt the piney hops before I even pull it towards my nose. After closer inspection, there is a ton of great tart/citrus-focused fruit aromas in this beer... grapefruit, tangerine, flowers... it smells great. People often use the word perfume to describe the aroma of (D)IPA's... and I honestly never have had that word pop into my head while engaging in a beer... but it works here.

Wow. The taste is a thing of beauty. This is just phenomenally executed... a bit aggressive on the hops, but in the way that any hop head would wish for... wonderfully ripe and fresh. Hoppy citrus and pine on the front, sweet caramel on the finish.... Man, it has a nice bite to it that is still strongly felt after it escapes the grasp of your mouth and flows down the throat.

Nice full and silky mouthfeel. It goes down really smooth and has a excellent finish... pretty dry, really crisp.

I also received darkness and bender in the trade... can't wait to try them and so happy that this beer met the high expectations I had before I flipped the tab!

calise1122, Nov 08, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to Scoobydank for hooking me up with this! Split these last night with jac5084.

A: Pours a magnificent gold copper and pretty much perfectly clear. The head is a nice one finger's worth, but to my surprise, this one is not a lacer at all.

S: You cannot have a more fresh smelling IPA than this! Wow. The smell is not bitter, but extremely fresh with citrus hops, peach, orange, lemon, grapefruit, apricot, and pineapple. So many fruit flavors in the smell to complement the hop spice.

T: The taste is exceptional as well. Starts of light with great carbonation and a nice hop characteristics. The fruit flavors jut out again and really take control. This one is not a bitter IPA, which is why I like it so much. It balances the fruit and hops perfectly.

Overall, this is one of the best IPAs I have ever had. Very flavorful and crisp without being a bitter bastard.

treyrab, Nov 07, 2008