Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,427
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked this brew up in a trade with Akorsak, thanks Adam!

A nice reddish-orange body with almost two fingers of tan head. Some good retention. A little bit of lacing.

Smells of both malt and hops.

Fantastic IPA. Sweet caramel-like malts, citrusy and piney hops. Finishes dry and bitter. Leaves a fantastic hoppy aftertaste. A great, balanced blend of malt and hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily.

This is a beer I could drink pretty much forever. One of the bes IPAs I've encountered.

Hojaminbag, Jul 31, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to sholland119 for this brew.

A - Appears to be thick and sticky. Color is a hybrid mix of copper and orange. A good amount of have is present. The off-white head topped out at a little under one inch and was gone pretty quick. Some lacing remained.

S - There is a big and complex hop aroma. Just to name a few: Grapefruit, orange, pine, bubblegum, pipe tobacco, and fresh cut grass. There is some malt notes that are able to peak through on the tail end. Mostly caramel but it stays in the background to let the hop keep the spotlight.

T - An explosion of hops to start out. Fruitiness is up front with hints of orange, strawberry, blackberry, and mango. The earthy hop notes take a back seat. Picked up some pine flavor with hints of leaves and grass. Some malt shows up toward the end with flavors of caramel and sugar.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation. Finish is dry, bitter, and does not end. This beer is bigger than expected for the style but still very good.

D - Drinkability is good. It basically destroys the palate and taste buds with hop flavors and bitterness which does limit drinkability to a degree. Alcohol is hard to detect which helps out some. That being said, it is still a very good beer. I would happily have another one. I might not be able to taste it, but I would still have one. Highly recommended beer from Surly. Glad I got to try it out.

csmiley, Jul 25, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

I've had this on at least 5 occassions and I find it to be a decent offering but nowhere close to the style I like.

A = A fairly dark appearance for an IPA style with a minor head with an off-white color.

S = Nosing the glass, I smacked head-on into a bitter wall of floral hoppiness that I immediately associate with English Bitter Style.

T = Very strong with minor citrus and a bull-rush of bitter hops. Much as in the Surly style, the beer is over-hopped to a substantial degree.

M = Bitter, effervescent, and singeing, I found it difficult to hold this on the palate for my usual 20 seconds (for tasting and evaluation purposes). A can/glass of this will provide palate shock and leave you with this aftertaste for 20 minutes to a half hour or more after you've finished. Because of this, Furious is not a food friendly beer.

D = For me... one and done.

This is not my favorite and I will be fair by stating that up front. Stylistically, they have achieved a specific taste and result and with that said, this beer is spot-on. If you love huge bitter, floral, and citrus spokes, this is your beer.

Just not for me.

Beerking721, Jul 24, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Served into an imperial pint glass, this brew pours a deep, clear amber. Almost brown.
The head is about a fingers worth of frothy white foam. A little darker than I'd expect from an AIPA.

S - More caramel malts than anything, but also a nice hop profile on top of things. Again, a little maltier than I'd normally prefer, but I like my IPA's to smell hoppy. Sidenote: when I cracked the can, all I could smell was hops.

T - Very big and flavorful. Well-hopped and has a nice underlying malt backbone that balances out this monster. Extremely well put-together, and a definite gem. Bitter on the finish but not overly. Reallly well-balanced.

M - Creamy, medium carbonation, medium body.

D - Great drinkability, and a brew I'd revisit time and time again if it were available.

Notes: I've been spoiled with some great IPA's lately and this one is no different. Those who can obtain this should consider themselves lucky, as this is a truly tasty brew. Thanks Tom!

SaucyA, Jul 24, 2008

What more can I say that hasn't been said?

This is my staple beer! I'm not going to review it in the traditional fashion. Instead I'd rather just say it kicks major arse!! Now as a hop head, I found this beer to be excellent. But as a drinker in MPLS who is always searching for a fresh, hoppy, and strong beer. I found this beer to be my #1. I had always wanted to brew a beer similar to this. Instead Todd did all the work for me. I love the dark amber coloring. If poured correctly, it seems to always come with a nice head and can achieve some substantial lacing. When that first sip hits you, it brings that hoppy bite right to your palate. It then evolves into a fine bitter/fruity combination that I can't get enough of. Now had I reviewed this beer over 1 year ago, there would have been 1 minor change, aroma. But it is my recent knowledge (And correct me if I'm wrong.) that it seems they've been dry hopping the Furious recently. Which in my opinion is the only addition needed.

Truly a masterpiece!

DanK222, Jul 22, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'll have to double check, but I do believe this is the first beer I've ever reviewed out of a can. After tasting the furious, I'm not certain but that this wouldn't always be my beer of choice if I had to bring a sixer of cans some place.

Poured out of 16 ounce "pint" size can.

The beer pours an impressive hazy orange amber color with very good head retention and lacing. This is a serious looking IPA. The nose is impressive, with very noticeable underlying citrus from the hops. There is also considerable malt presence in this beer, which adds an aroma of cherry, some vanilla and butterscoth to this beer. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, and I'm impressed by how just how well balanced this beer is. There is a huge hop presence, yes, but it's countered very nicely by equally impressive sweet malt. Neither overwhelms the other and I find this beer absolutely delicious. Interestingly, despite the massive amount of malt and sweetness in the mid palate, the beer actually has a very nice, bitter/dry finish. It helps the drinkability of this beer considerably. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the beer is not the least bit heavy or tiring to drink. Given the amount of hops and sweet malt in this beer, I was surprised by the 6.2% abv. I really thought it was higher then that.

A VERY impressive beer from Surly. Just delicious.

John_M, Jul 22, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours with a slightly cloudy murky brown. The darkest American IPA I've seen. Small head , some lacing.

Aroma is spot on grapefruit , small hint of caramel sweetness.

Initially this beer has the characteristic hoppy bitterness , with citrus and grassy undertones. A nice malty sweet finish keeps this nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is thick , with a sticky finish.

Overall an easy drinking beer I wish was more available in Ohio.

shroompod, Jul 21, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Surly is an interesting brewer. I get the cans at a couple of the local beer stores but can also slide over to their brewery on Saturdays (12-2pm only) to get a couple of growlers.

I think I like the growlers better but it is a close call. Probably has something to do with feeling like I have to drink a full growler at a sitting so it does not go bad.

Furious has a fruity hop flavor which puts it in the the Bells Hopslam class without the high alcohol. Nice color and smell. Not for all drinkers as it has its own taste.

doctormo, Jul 21, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly cloudy, deep copper with a two-finger off-white head and a good amount of visible carbonation. Head fades slowly to a thin cap, but leaves lots of sticky lacing behind.

Smell is floral and citrus hops: fresh cut grass, orange peel, fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit. There's also some sweet caramel and fresh baked biscuits.

Taste starts off with some toasted bread and caramel flavors, with some bitter floral hops in the background. There's a metallic bite and not much hop flavor, despite the nose. Malt background seems week, and the hop bitterness fairly subdued. Given the look and the smell, the taste was a bit disappointing.

Medium-bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability was OK, but overall it seemed to lack any real flavor. Perhaps this was just a bad can, but I'm in no rush to seek this one out again.

MrMonkey, Jul 14, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a very dark amber, brown in color with a huge, frothy, off-white head. For an IPA this has a very intense, piney hop flavor! Very nice. Taste is huge hop flavor. There's no way this is only an IPA. This is better than most DIPA's that I've had. Huge, and creamy on the mouthfeel. I don't know what else to say, other than this is easily one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I've been wanting some Surly beers to see for myself what the hype is about. This one exceeds my expectations. Very well done!

FtownThrowDown, Jul 12, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

16 oz can poured into imperial pint glass

A - Pours a dark amber hued orange color with a massively frothy light tan. Head lasts very well, becoming rocky and leaving excellent lacing. I like the can idea, but I feel it may make the head excessively large if you don't pour very slowly. Either way, I can't argue with the beauty of this beer.

S - Wonderful hop aroma, complete with pine and citrus scents. Grapefruit and some lemony accents. Good malty sweetness with caramel and toffee flavor (just like the can says!). Flavors combine well to form a very pleasing aroma.

T - Starts with a mild toffee flavored sweetness with light caramel flavor. Hops come on soon and strong with their pine and grapefruit flavors. Finish is bitter and dry.

M - Smooth and creamy at first with a moderate carbonation. Medium-bodied. Bitterness comes on strong at the finish. Very drying.

D - A very enjoyable brew from Surly. Great hop flavor and scent with appropriately backing malt flavors. Alcohol is not really a factor. Worth seeking out, but maybe not all the hype it seems to get.

gmcfarre, Jul 11, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -13.7%

Dark amber in color with frothy head and some prickle. Hoppy nose. Hop forward flavor and smooth mouthfeel. Undertones of malt but beautifully hopped. Extremely hoppy! I had to downgrade this on my own scale from A- to B- because a full pint ends up being too much hops and starts to numb the palate. Would be great with food but not really a "session" beer for me. The first half I loved. . .then it was too much for me, but I am only a casual "hophead" and drink lots of big malty beers.

Ragingbull, Jul 11, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Well, I both see how this gets everyone in a tizzy... and recognize how if this were the IPA of my local brewer I'd be all over it all the time... and then have to acknowledge that I don't think this is the pinnacle of IPAs for me (I prefer West Coast style IPAs), nor do I think it's the best of the more malt-forward IPAs around (although this isn't really strong criticism... I think I'd take a Masala Mama or HopDevil over it... and maybe put it right on par with Smuttynose).

Pours a very amber-y gold with nice frothy head... it looks durn pritty! Opaque, nice lacing... me likey.

Aroma is a bit flat... but what comes through is a relatively straightforward citrus aroma backed by a toasted malt character. A little caramel or toffee.

Taste... reminds me of Arrogant Bastard's younger brother. In a good way. It has a very distinctive pine-y, resiny quality to an otherwise citrus dominated hop punch, wrapped around a firmly malty, mildly sweet, very toasted, rich caramel middle. It's just a bit cleaner and a bit milder than AB. The more cans of this I drink, the more I become convinced that if I loved AB and wanted to make it more approachable and more of an IPA... this is exactly the brew I would want. That said... it's lovely, and very drinkable... but I'm not gaga over it.

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium full with a nice spritzing carbonic touch.

Very drinkable and balanced despite the slightly astringent, resiny bitterness. It's a fine take on the style, but I really prefer a juicy, floral, malt-backward hop-forward take, and this just will never displace my favorites. That said... go forth, and try this yourself! I'll certainly be drinking this non-stop when I'm back in the upper midwest.

errantnight, Jul 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up on a recent trip to MN. Had this on tap a lot, but I think I actually prefer it in a can, due to the inadequacies of many tap lines and the freshness of a nice, well refrigerated can. Pours a very pretty red with hints of terracotta, creamy yellow white head. Beautiful. Smells fresh, of grasses, citrus fruits and pine sap. Taste is a hop-forward blast of changing flavors, pert bitter citrus, nice caramel malt backbone, lingering bitterness. I think the magnificent thing about this is just how well this beer is put together...its just so well balanced. Mmm. Medium bodied, slightly sticky. Highly dinrkable and delicious.

aforbes10, Jul 06, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

many thanks to timbro81 for generously donating this one to me. very kind indeed.

appearance is dark reddish-amber. nice collar of beige foam with good retention.

aroma is outstanding. pure pine sap and cedar followed by grapefruit, orange and caramel. a truly beautiful, perfume-like nose on this one.

on palate, it's surprisingly balanced. the intensity of the aroma is not duplicated in the taste. judge for yourself whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. for me, the incongruence here is a little odd. i'm all for balanced beers but i almost feel there is something missing here. notes of fruit--orange, ripe pears, grapefruit--and caramel. hop flavors come forward in the finish.

mouthfeel is wonderful. very mellow and smooth, with just the right carbonation.

drinkable for sure but the flavor seems to be missing something. maybe there's something wrong with my palate. i'll be interested to try this one again and adjust my review accordingly.

Riggo, Jul 03, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a staple of mine, and I'm supprised I've never reviewed it. The beer pours a deep amber with a gorgeous creamy head that dissapates slowly. On the nose is all hops. Pine and light citrus notes shine through over everything else. The taste is everything that the boquet presents. It starts with a huge presence of pine and citrus, followed with a light finish of toffee. The beer is medium to full-bodied, and the aftertaste remains for quite some time after each sip. Probably one of the most drinkable IPAs I have ever tasted.

WYVYRN527, Jun 29, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Much thanks to KeefD for the trade!

I now have a new favorite canned IPA! (Sorry Dale's).

Slightly cloudy amber brown, fluffy cream-colored head, and nice lace all the way down the glass.

The aroma is mostly hops, with some malt. Very crisp aroma, with no candy or oddball alcohol aromas to get in the way.

Taste is wonderful. Very nice malt body, and huge hops all around with all parts of my tongue and mouth experiencing them. But all parts of the hop equation (bitterness, flavor and aroma) as well balanced as any big hop-bomb could be.

One small critique is the slightly powdery mouthfeel (It's tough to have that eliminated with 99 IBUs!)

oconman, Jun 25, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to "Masala Mama" for transporting four cans across state lines.

P: Presented in a 16 oz. can with cryptic freshness dating. Can design carries an energy-drink vibe.

A: Pours a hazed, dark copper with hues of tobacco sunburst and a thin, bone-colored head that results in prodigious, random-patterned lacing.

S: Complex nose: essences of pine, hop oil, grapefruit, pineapple, orange rind, and brown sugar.

T: Opens with caramel malt and buttered toffee, before fading to prominent notes of pine, grapefruit, candied-pineapple, and resiny citrus hops. Mind-bogglingly bitter finish, yet deftly balanced with a decidedly sweet, malt backbone.

M: Medium-bodied, chewy and smooth in the mouth, with an active effervescence that attacks at mid-tongue.

D: At 99 IBUs, Furious is deceptively drinkable - a testament to just how well-balanced this American IPA truly is.

"A tempest on the tongue or a moment of pure hop bliss?"

The true beauty of Furious? Why, it's beer for a glass, from a can.

CaptainIPA, Jun 23, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color, almost ruby with a huge light tan head sitting on top. Great retention and some nice lacing.

Nice hoppy aroma. Some sweet citrus and caramel.

Very nice taste. A nice bitter hoppiness showing some pine notes with some citrus. A tea like finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a gentle carbonation.

Drinkability is high. Good flavors, bitterness not overwhelming, and low alcohol make for easy and pleasureable consumption.

Goliath, Jun 20, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Pours a clear rich amber color with big 3+ fingers of frothy light tan head that lasts a long time, but not ridiculously long. Nice retention throughout leaves lots of sticky lacing behind. Smells even better than on tap, lots of pine, citrus oils, earthy hops, and toasted caramel malt. Tastes of toffee, sweet caramel, and lightly toasted malt are followed by flavors of orange peel, pineapple, tangerine, grass, pine, and earthy hops with a little bit of spicy hops mixed with grapefruit in the back end. Medium in body with perfect carbonation. Smooth and hoppy but very balanced with sweet caramel malt supporting the beer throughout. It's packed with hops, but not mouth puckering bitter like some IPAs.

HopDerek, Jun 18, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on cask at the Map Room in Chicago

A: Pours a clear darkish brown amber with a one inch head that bubbles down into a quarter inch cap that leaves behind significant lacing. Not much carbonation to be seen but the head looks pillowy soft and the beer good enough to eat, or drink as the case may be.

S: Sweet and rich, much deeper than I expected with a well worn balance between both the hops and the malts. Strong hints of grapefruit as well as sweet caramel malt, very inviting.

T/MF: I was expecting something of a hop bomb, but it was much sweeter and smoother than I expected. The first thing I noticed about this beer is how sweet it was, an excellent balance is struck here, with caramel malts sharing equal playing time with the grapefuity and mango flavored hop profile. The mouthfeel is smooth as silk and leaves the tongue rather slick, still very very tasty.

D: It is a great beer, I was expecting a bit more, like fives in every category, especially considering this beer was sampled on cask, but it did not dissapoint at all. It is perhaps one of the best balanced American IPAs I've ever tried, great tasting beer, great drinkability, can't wait to have another.

bluemoonswoon, Jun 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Out of a pint can into an imperial pint glass. The head on this bad boy is enormous. A few minutes later and it become ridiculously rocky. A few more minutes later and it finally begins to settle and I can pour the rest of the beer into the glass. Lacing is gorgeous. Aroma is like unspoiled pine forest. Taste is slightly sweet, lots of hop bitterness, hints of orange and grapefruit, and wonderful malt background, with the slightest hints of caramel. Actually seems a little less hoppy out of a can. Mouthfeel is even smoother than on tap, extra creamy, nice tingle on the tongue. Carbonation levels are much lower in a can, but the smoothness on the palate makes up for it.

An overall sensational brew. The boys at Surly certainly know what they're doing. Can't wait to head to the cities next week so I can pick up some of their other offerings.

KeefD, Jun 12, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Outstanding. Simply outstanding.

Deep orange color. Frothy top. Aroma is full of citrus, floral hops and some pine. Extreme citrus flavors -- very hop dominant and full-bodied. Texture is perfect. Wonderful representation of an IPA. Classic with a strong hop presence and body, but unique enough not to be boring.

Poser, Jun 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Hazy copper with a light tan head, some retention, great lacing.

S: Huge grapefruit aroma; pine; cotton-candy fruity esters; toffee.

T: Huge grapefruit flavour, tangerine, pine, nice fruity ale esters, toffee, hint of nuts, assertive bitterness is smooth.

M: Moderate to full body seems bigger than it is. A fair amount of hop acidity. Dry finish.

D: Very drinkable.

An all-around great beer.

Derek, Jun 09, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +15%

Color: Pours a dark amber-red color with a thick and foamy head that fades into a one-finger head.

Aroma: Hops with a strong hint of grapefruit and earthy aromas. Very pleasant aroma to be greeted with.

Taste: Decent hop bite upfront. Grassy/grapefruity taste that fades to a malt backbone that seems underwhelming. This beer is all about the hops. Damn strong IPA in a can.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and hoppy with a bready aftertaste. Hops dominate the palate. Kind of what I look for in a decent IPA.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Recommend that you pour it into a glass though. I drank my other can from the can and it just wasn't the same. The glass route allows the beer to "breathe", releasing more of its' hop potential.

Don't hesitate to trade for this or even buy it, especially if you like IPAs.

Brad007, Jun 08, 2008