Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Wants: 1,434
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Served in a pint glass at Durty Nellies.

A: somewhat hazy, reddish orange, this particular glass seems more cloudy than I remember it, but either way it looks good.

S: huge citrus hops, reminds me of a tropical drink with hints of grapefruit, orange, pineapple all coming through. At 100 IBUs, the hops smell extremely fragrant but not overly bitter

T: Taste is identical to nose. Huge citric flavors, primarily grape fruit with a nice sweetness. This beer is delicious and is probably the best IPA I have had. I have never experienced such an intense hop profile that is so palatable. There is an interplay between sweet and bitter which balance nicely.

MF: Typical for an IPA... somewhat sticky, medium body

D: I could drink this beer all day. If only cans were available around me. I am fortunate to be able to enjoy this one on draft.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Color is a rusty reddish brown with a decent head and average lacing.

Smells of pine and grass were the first to hit my nose with light citrus hops resembling tangerine that follow.

The pine and fresh cut grass are the primary hop profile. Very pungent and fresh tasting. There's a solid malt backbone to keep it somewhat balanced.

Medium bodied, well carbonated, and very bitter. There's a resinous sticky residue left behind on my palate.

Great tasting and very fresh. No problems with drinkability here.

Reviewed on 11-09-09
Served cold from a can to a glass

A - Reddish amber/tan, 2 fingers of foam, good carbonation, good foam retention

S - Sweet citrus hop smell, hint of pine/malt

T - Medium bodied, heavy on the sweet hop taste, which a little pine aftertaste but not too bitter. Smooth going down

M/D - Great medium bodied taste, not to heavy in the mouth and goes down pretty smooth. A very drinkable beer that I can enjoy more than one of in a sitting. Of course Furious is much better on tap but just a good in a can!

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Avolon68 for his extreme generosity, Poured into some duvel snifters and split with a friend and had another one for myself for a review.

Furious is steaming with a darker than normal orange like a hazy sunset late in the day. Some spots of amber and light bronze when up to some light. A nice dirty white head with semi thickness and legs enough to leave some stick on the glass. I like how this appears to be a bit thicker than most str8 ipa's.

A coating of tropical fruits coming from what im guessing is a ton of hops knowing Surly. It could also be those 99 IBU's holy shit that's alot. Citrus is sharp with pineapple and grapefruit and also some straight forest pine. Some caramel and some dry hopping could of been done based on the bitter smell.

Just like I like it, A full flavored IPA that's low in the alcohol. No alcohol in the taste while the hops are used just right. The tropical fruit and citrus combine to a great mix. Grapefruit and pine. A bitter aftertaste like biting into a grapefruit. The pine is pleasant and make for a nice escape from the slightly bitter aftertaste. Im not complaining I love it. A nice malt base with sweet caramel leveling the playing field. I need more of this.

The feel is slick but with a bitter aftertaste. Medium bodied and well balanced. The carbonation is up there but is muted by what is going on in the moputh with the amount of taste this packs for such a low ABV. I would have no problem gulping this down without parching my palate, this is right where it needs to be for the style.

Well if I had a four pack I would drink it very quickly, this stuff commands it. The hops deserve justice and I don't want them to fade. There is no freshness date on the bottom of the can but I can tell this is a fairly fresh one. The hops just jump out at you and the ABV is low enough to drink savor and repeat.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

on tap at Sheffield's in Chicago. pours a fiery amber color with a solid finger of tight, light tan head that leaves solid lacings and has great retention.

aroma is of distant spiced and piney hops with a base of bready malt and distant caramel. pleasant in the nose.

taste is more of the same with a rich character of dry and spiced hops that give way to a piney aftertaste. solid on the palate with a fresh character. the base comes out after a bit of warming as caramel and some distant amber-like notes.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a dry texture and a bitter finish. solid.

drinkability is great. well proportioned and solid through and through. no complaints about this one. cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +10%

The appearance is amber-orange with a one finger white head. It has a great oily body with medium lacing. I give it a 4 because of the hazy nature of the brew as well as the head leaving quit fast.

The smell is great, a fruity citrus hop aroma just fills your nostrils. You can also tell there is a bitter hop characteristic in this. A little alcoholic sting is present in the end as well.

The taste is fruity citrus hop goodness. What is great about this beer is that the fruity sweetness is paired with hop bitterness perfectly. The fruit sweetness is great in the beginning and in the end, bitterness on the palate just in the middle.

The mouthfeel consists of perfect carbonation with perfect hop bitterness. The oily coating that leaves your mouth smacking for more is great.

The drinkability is summed up by what I said after finishing this brew, "I want more!"

Great great great beer. Love it!

J

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received as part of a Surly sampler I received through a trade.

Poured from a can into an Imperial pint glass. Beer is amber / copper in color, looks beautiful. Beer is clear and forms a thick, yellowish head that falls away slowly leaving lacing on the glass. Carbonation is mild to moderate and there seems to be really fine particulates suspended in the beer. They aren't moving they are just floating there.

Definitely an IPA. This beer has a ton of pine aroma coming off of it. Beautiful giant aroma fills the nose. Not a whole lot else is available in the way of scent but I wasn't expecting much else.

Smooth and dry. This beer has a nice level of bitterness and some really nice malt character in the from mouth. I was not expecting the dryness but it fits really well. Beer has a slight aftertaste but it just more of the hop goodness. Hop flavors are still pine based. Great great IPA.

Mouthfeel is interesting, nice medium body, not chewy as you might expect with a high IBU beer but overall a very nice balance with body. The dryness at the end of the beer really improves the mouthfeel a lot.

Drinkability high, really high. I could drink these all day long.

This is one of the best American IPAs I've ever had.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via trade...thanks Bill. 16 oz can poured into a pint glass. Comes in at 6.2% and 99 IBUs. No bottling info is given.

A-Pours a clear copper with a half finger off white head that has some great retention. The head remains foamy and bubbly throughout the session. Leaves some decent lace.

S-Great hoppy nose. This smells like a fresh West Coast IPA. Lots of dank, pine, and citrus. There is also a touch of sweetness.

T-Lots of pine balanced with a touch of sweet malt that is not over done and a tad sweeter than would be found in a WC IPA. Grapefruit is also noticeable. There is some biscuit malt flavor at the end. It leaves some nice bitterenss.

M-It falls on the lighter end of the medium spectrum and it is a touch over carbonated.

D-A really well done IPA and it's in a can!

This was my first beer from Surly and I was quite impressed. If this were available in CA I would buy it frequently. Worth seeking out if you like IPAs.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A beautiful thick white head atop a copper orange body. unfortunately this was served in a plastic cup and I wasn't able to examine it fully.

Smelled like a pine tree, wonderful. Quite a bit of citrus and slimy hops penetrate your nose and beat it into submission.

Initially you get slammed with bitterness and a bit of carbonation. It finishes a bit sweeter than it starts with some citrus to balance it out nicely.

Mostly just dry punishing bitterness that left me smiling the whole way. I finished my cup slowly, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Would have gotten another one but I had to drive home.

Imagine a mildly carbonated cask aged furious with a pine air freshener in your glass. Delicious

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: orange brown in color, 1/4 inch head, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: pine and citrus hops

Taste: pine dominates with a pinch of citrus hops and a small amount of toffee malt towards the end

Mouthfeel: moderately smooth, medium bodied, bitter

Drinkability: Due to the high concentration of hops, I think two is my max per sitting. This is a sipper, but a tasty one. I will look for this one again.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a very amber/chestnut brown color with golden orange hues and a two finger frothy yellowish beige head that lasts, leaving soapy chunks of lacing in it's path.

Earthy floral hop aroma with a bit of biscuit and caramel malt. There is also a good bit of citrus aroma with hints of lemon peel and grapefruit as well as some earthy dank pine.

Nice chewy resinous medium body that is very refreshing and well balanced. Caramel and biscuit malt backbone provide a nice balance to the huge hop profile without overpowering it. Plenty of fresh, dank, resinous hop flavor with hints of citrus lemon and orange peel as well as some grapefruit and nice dry earthy pine notes. Again, this is an extremely well balanced beer that I have to stop myself from pounding. An excellent session beer that I wish I had greater access to.

EDIT: Some individual just merged Tea Bagged Furious with regular Furious. This review is for Tea Bagged Furious.

Had on cask at Darkness Day 2009. "Tea bagged" with simcoe hops.

Appearance is a dark red golden hazy bubbly body with a thick large head.

Smell is of piney simcoe hops, heavily, and a caramel malt aroma.

The taste is of hops, lots of hops. Piney simcoe and grapefruit smack you in the mouth and say man up bitch! Sweet complex malt undertones compliment the hops amazingly.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel with bitterness that endures on the tongue.

Very drinkable for such an envelope expanding beer, so good. best IPA in the world.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had a chance to sample this fine brew at Darkness Day 2009. Deep copperish red color with a nice layer of tan foam. Smells of pure hops. Citrusy and piney. Comparing the taste to regular Furious, this has a larger hop profile and a lesser malt profile. Hops dominate. Sweet and bitter citrus and piney hops slap the tongue silly. Smooth as can be and soft on the palate. Hops can overwhelm a bit so drinkability is good. A nice variation to an outstanding IPA.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Reviewed at the day of Darkness on tap.

Appearance: Amber brown and orange with 1 finger of head.

Smell: Piney/ simcoe hops

Taste: Opens with bitter hops but piney hops come in the middle to the end which finishes smooth leaving a mildy piney hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light to mideum bodied with minimal carbonation and smooth

Drinkability: I would definitely recommend this to those who enjoy a piney hop and mildly malty brew.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

I had this on saturday's darkness day, I'm reciting from memory.

Got served in a plastic cup, I didn't think to bring my own glass or enough cash money to buy one. Looked like a hazy orange IPA. I usually buy bender of cynic ale so I thought it was going to be redder. More fragrant than I expected.

Surprisingly smooth. Clean hop flavor. Very pleasant.
Could have had a full pint easily.

Personally I generally like a darker beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Review #600. On tap at Clark Street Ale House.

A-Clear copper amber with a lot of fluffy off white head and massive amounts of sticky lacing.

S-A strong blast of citrus hops with a medium amount of malt.

T-This is a grapefruit bomb hopwise backed with an incredibly rich, deep maltiness. This is a powerful, flavorful IPA.

M-Medium bodied but a bit heavy on the tongue from the rich malt and hop bitterness.

D-Very drinkable with tons of flavor. While I really enjoy the can version, the draft rendition is outstanding.

HV

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

A:Dark red amber w/ little to no head. Little tiny bubbles of active carbonation. Some white lacing.

S: Hoppy. As. Hell. Smells super fresh. Just the slightest malt base.

T: More of the same smell, maybe less malt. Very biting and crisp. Very interesting.

M: For how flat it looked, a little sparkling feeling. Finishes very clean. Furious is good in both hot and cold weather.

D: Hops can be overwhelming, but when I want them, I go for Furious.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Bright clear red-orange with a frothy head.

Smells grapefruity.

Tastes of crisp grapefruit and pine over a caramel base. Sometimes it feels citrus-centric, other sips pine-centric, but very flavorful.

Mouthfeel full, crisp, and resinous.

This was rich and flavorful. The hops are powerful, but they don't obliterate all flavor. Wish I had easy access to this when I'm in the mood for hops.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Came to the table with a dark amber color and a foamy white head which left a nice ring lace on the glass. The aroma is pure hops. Grapefruit and floral hops are the dominant smells. The taste is the same, but as with the can, I can taste a bit of a malt backbone, but not as much as from the can. Medium bodied, dry, and nicely carbonated. Nicely drinkable, and what a steal, $2 for happy hour. Can't beat that.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

The second Surly can I got from my man Joe aka Ineedabeerhere. Canned 5/22/09. About 5 months old, on the far side for an IPA, but I'm still impressed.

Appearance is murky amber with a sticky white head. The consistency of the head indicates this is a beer with a gentle carbonation, which is something I love to see.

The aroma is quite hoppy, even with all this time in the can. The first thing I thought of was the dole paradise blend juice I drank with breakfast this morning, so i looked at the carton to see whats in it. Pineapple, grape, carrots? I think this warrants a side by side comparison. Well, the juice is a bit more strong, but the beer has more depth with kiwi and pine mixed in. You can also smell a bit of alcohol in the furious, but only after sniffing the juice.

The taste continues with the depth of the aroma, and I'm loving it. It could use a bit more sweetness to accentuate the fruity hops. The beer is very bitter, and if this makes any sense, it just rushes in. Oh man, 99 ibus? I believe it. This is a great beer.

The mouthfeel is hard to describe behind all the burning hop bitterness. The carbonation is on the low side, as I mentioned earlier. I can handle the scorching bitterness, but drinkablity falls somewhere in the middle for ipas. If I had another can I could judge this more accurately....

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Pours a cloudy yet vibrant copper color with a slightly off white head that leaves thick lacing as the head dissipates.

S: there is a bold aroma of grapefruit, with hints of pine and malt acting as a supporting cast.

T: the beer is of course very hoppy as advertised, but still finds a way to remain well balanced. The Hoppiness clearly plays the dominant role but does not overwhelm the malt. It ends with an ever so slight hint of piney resin.

M: This is a little bit heavier than some of the other IPAs that I have had, but it also has just the right amount of carbonation counter act this.

D: Definitely not a gulper, but something that I could drink all night and often.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Lighter copper with a nice white head.

S - Citric hops and medium toasted malts were paired nicely

T - Hops are prominent and dominant with a lot of care to make sure its still an IPA but with a decent and flavorful body to back it up

M - Right in the middle where an IPA should be. Carbonation was moderate

D - A pretty easy going, albeit very hoppy IPA that I could session with no issues.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Got this as an extra from skinnyguy. Thanks!

Poured a cloudy amber/copper color. Nice 3/4 inch fluffy white head. Gobs of lacing. Good retention too.

Piney, grapefruit hop aroma. Wow!

Sold malt backbone, caramelly. Nice grapefruit hop bitterness, well in check but not overpowering.

Medium/full bodied. Slight taste lingering in between sips. Bitterness doesn't wreck your palate however. Good carbonation.

Pretty good drinkability, would have again if I had access to it on a regular basis. One of the better, more balanced IPA's I've had.

Thanks to mistofminn for the trade.

A 16 oz. pint can, poured liberally into my pint glass. A hazy copper comes out, with a decent amount of head and lacing. A little bit brighter in color than I was expecting? Maybe the can threw me off.

The smell is an instant smack in the face of pine, grass, and hint of grapefruit. Yep, this earns all of it's 99 IBUs. Right where this should be.

Taste is a little mellower than the nose suggests, although it is still a crash of hops in front. A touch of sweetness at the back end helps balance it out a little bit, which is preferably for an IPA, IMO.

Mouthfeel is a touch on the thin side, but there's enough going on that it's only really noticeable if you're looking for it. Definitely helps it out in the drinkability category, though.

A highly quaffable IPA from a can. I might hang onto one or two of these to have on the chairlift this season.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled from a 16oz can in a standard pint glass. Acquired in a trade with LarryG.

A - A deep amber color with good clarity and a study tan head. The glass is covered with lacing as it empties.

S - Piney hops and caramel malts. Very nice!

T - A nice balance of biscuity malts and citrusy, piney hops. I rarely appreciate balance but the malts offer as much as the hops here. I was impressed that neither one overshadows the other. Instead they work nicely together and both stand out. This is an outstanding beer.

M - Silky smooth with a low carbonation. It all comes together to make the perfect vehicle for delivering the flavors.

D - This is definitely one of my favorites. What a combination of flavor and drinkability.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company