Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,455
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,647 | Reviews: 1,428
4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into my dimpled thick-walled old school Coors chalice a brilliantly clear rusty amber color with a creamy, dense settled 1/2" light beige head. A moderate amount of visible uprising carbonation. Perfectly unbroken, unhindered, unobstructed walls of graceful lace all the way down.

Intoxicating ripe tropical fruity hop resins dart out of the succulent and sweetish undertow. I swirl my glass to evoke grapefruit rinds contently bathing in a savory malty elixir. Pure and simple.

Tastes EXACTLY from what I perceived in the scent. The bitter hop attack is very grapefruit rind-like. Probably one the most accurately similar grapefruit flavor by the way of hops I've ever tasted. The malt component acts as the perfect springboard for the zippy hop party that keeps on keepin' on.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is fine and at a perfect level. The bitter finish is clean and not really chalky at all. The flavor lasts a very long time after the swallow.

Drinkability is stellar. I would have no qualms if this is what I was limited to at any establishment.

Overall a very solid, simple crackpot of an IPA. The beauty of this beer is it's quiet malty chorus that never overrides the star of the show (hops). The hop essence lingers long beyond the quaff. This flagship beer from Surly does the IPA category proud. I'm glad I scored this from a great trader (maximum12) at The Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison, WI this August. I wish I would have traded for an entire case.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Marie for introducing me to craft beer in a can.

Pours a dark amber.

Has a bit of toasty malt on the nose to go along with citrusy hops.

Taste is a nice balance of grainy malt and bitter hops. The malt is really nice. The can says Scottish malt, to me it tastes like a mild rye malt. The hops are piney and the finish is dry and bitter. Yum.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is high. Thankfully this beer is "only" 6.2%

Furious is one of the best IPAs out there. I really like that it is in a can- you can take it anywhere and its stays fresh a lot longer than bottles.

I just wish we could buy it here in MI.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

16 oz can courtesy of CaptainRedBeard, thanks man! Pour is lightly hazed and a surprisingly dark caramel color. Fine-bubbled, light tan foam shows some decent retention and nice lacing.

Nose is absurdly hoppy, grapefruit and sugared lemondrops. Lovely. Malt stays pretty light, a bit grainy and mildly sweet. Delectable to say the least.

Toasty and light caramel malts are offset by one of the quickest, most flavorful dry hop punches I have had the pleasure of witnessing. The quick flash of lupulin makes it very refreshing indeed. I like the blend of hop flavors that are here; little earthy, plenty of citrus and some grassiness as well. I would definitely buy this often were it readily available, The hop bitterness/flavor balance is sublime.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap @ Hell's Kitchen (Minneapolis, MN) on 8/11/10. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a ½ finger of smooth off-white head. Retains with some thin foam that skims the surface of the glass, leaving EXTREMELY thick rings of lacing all the way down. The aroma is floral, spicy, and piney, and smells A LOT like grapefruit. And not just the "green" bitter grapefruit that I usually pick up. This smells like straight-up grapefruit juice out of a can. Pale malts add some bready sweetness to the profile and are maybe what helps add that extra sugary note to the grapefruit character for me. This just has a nice rich fullness here in the nose.

The taste is once again, just lush with that juicy grapefruit while citrus rind adds more of the deep bitterness here before pine resins and spice trail off into the finish. Man, did I mention that the grapefruit flavor is really popping here on draft? Grainy malts are flat and sweet across the back of the palate giving this just enough balance. The overall finish on this though is VERY dry feeling wit pithy hops and bitter fruit joining those lingering notes of spice and resins to absolutely STICK in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with an even mix of smooth crispness and easy herbal slickness. This just drinks awesome with no alcohol flavors to be found.

Furious on draft was a major check-off on my to-do list while in the Twin Cities recently and it don't disappoint. This just OOZES hop character with a certain amount of brightness that you unfortunately just don't get from the can. Awesome, awesome, stuff on draft.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Pours a lighter Reddish Brown with about a finger of head. Head disappears quickly but leaves alight film with some sticky lacing.

S - Smells of Pine, Oranges, Lemon, Citrus Fructose, Caramel, and Grass.

T - Tastes of Citrus, Grapefruit, Minerals, Spice, Caramel, and Bready, Bitterness is very good, not overpowering and just what I like in an IPA.

M - Medium-Low Body, above average carbonation, Acidic Freshness, and a mouthfeel on the stickier side.

D - This is very drinkable because it is not heavy in flavor or bitterness and ABV is only at 6.2%. I might have to trade for this again but fresh(although I don't see a date on the can).

I agree with some of the previous post on the paring with BBQ, Pizza, and spicier foods. Just make sure you drink it as cold as possible as this beer loses a lot of its good qualities as it warmers up.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to Brentk56 for this in a trade.

- Dark copper, almost looks like a red ale.. fluffy white foam, leaves a thin pillow of foam. Rather clear, and only maybe slightly cloudy.

- Big citrus hops, orange, tangerine, floral... sweet caramel, grain, bready... roasty.. earthy,.

- Very good brew.. caramel malt, sweet grain... almost like a sweet tea.. huge citrus hops, pineapple, grapefruit.. slight pine.

- Light to medium bodied, slightly dry and cloying. Slight creaminess to it.

- Very drinkable, balanced, and truly a great IPA.

"Tea Bagged" Furious (I think tea-bagged just stands for dry-hopped, on-cask version of Furious)
Surly Brewing Co.
American IPA
6.2-6.5 % ABV
OG?
99 IBUs
On cask at Stub & Herb's; poured into a 16 oz. pint glass

Appearance 5/5

Deep orange red; massive foam because of the cask that took a while to settle to an alright white/off-white head. Clear, but not as clear as canned version. Great lacing, decent retention.

Aroma 5/5

Descriptors aside, simply awesome. Very very grassy, you can tell it's generously hopped and generously dry-hopped. Earthy? I don't detect any citrusy notes here, although the brewery says so... piney maybe? Very pleasant and intense. Tea-bagged is a suitable adjective. Herbal and fresh. And the smell never ever fades!

Taste 5/5 & Mouthfeel 5/5

Exactly like the aroma. This is the only beer that has had me burping hops! Starts slightly fruity sweet, full of grassy hop flavor, and a bitter, clean finish. Not as crisp and carbonated as the regular canned version; quite silky actually.

Drinkability 5/5

Very very easy drinking beer.

Other

Furious might not be terribly complex, but it is what it says, furious! Must have for every hophead!!

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Into a standard pint. Thanks go out to biniek13 for sending me a four pack.

Amber body with golden hues towards the edges. Quite clear. One finger off white frothy head that take a minute to die down to a nice cap of foam on top. Good lacing left behind.

Smells of caramel and toffee malts with a splish of pine, orange zest and grapefruit hop aroma.

Caramel and toffee malts up front give way to bitter pine and resinous hops. There is a zesty citrus punch on the back end the evokes grapefruit and orange rind. Tobacco like smokiness lingers.

Full bodied, a bit oily, creamy carbonation, and palate wreckingly bitter.

A great beer. One of the most bitter IPAs I have had, but with enough sweet toasty malts to balance things out.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

First of all, a huge thanks for this great extra from ShadesOfGray. Cheers! [edit] Had this a second time the other day from a new batch and I enjoyed it even more.

Appearance - Pours a surprisingly dark caramel color into my JP Pint Glass. Over a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates at a moderate pace, leaving good looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - There is an instant heavy piney, bitter hop aroma that emerges from the glass while in the process of pouring this beer. Heavy unripe grapefruit, spicy malt, and a caramel smelling finish.

Taste - Similar to the nose - at the forefront is a bitter, piney hop flavor that melds to light bitter citrus notes and ends with a surprisingly strong malty backbone with a slight caramel finish. [edit] the more I drink this the more there is a bitter twinge at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation, a somewhat creamy texture, finishes dry/bitter.

Drinkability - Relatively so. I have had this before but never from the can. I was a bit tipsy the other two times I enjoyed this beer which is why I never bothered to review it. Being able to have this now and take the time to review it makes me realize this is indeed a good beer. I always compare other IPA's to RR Blind Pig, and other DIPA's to RR PtE. Hence, seeing as this is a 6.2% IPA I went into drinking this beer to see how it stacks up to my favorite IPA. I am not biased by any means, and know there are different "styles" of IPA's...and this is one of them. A good IPA for sure, though it is a bit bitter and at the same time too malty. However, the more I let this warm up and enjoy it, the more this grows on me. Be sure not to drink the beer too cold - it becomes another and more enjoyable beer once it gets a bit warmer. Damn good and glad I could enjoy it on this hot Southern California day.

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can into a perfect pint glass. Courtesy of Pullen (thanks, John!).

A - Says crimson on the can, but is more of a hazy amber, with a finger or so of head. Not much lacing, and just a thin cap after a minute or so.

S - Pretty nice right after the pour -- flowery, piney hoppiness. Once the head subsides, it mostly gives way to caramelized sugar and toffee. Almost like a barleywine-IPA black & tan.

T - Tasty. Again with the barleywine characteristics, the toffee and caramel. Hops are not as forward, more in the background and the finish. Nice but not fantastic. Alcohol barely noticeable.

M - Thick and sticky. I like this in a few beers, this one included. It feels like it looks, coating the mouth and having a long finish. Interesting combination of dry vs. sweet.

D - abv% is low-ish, and the flavor is good, which add up to something I'd like to have again but wouldn't sell the farm to have.

O - I like it, but don't love it. Again, if I lived where this was distributed, I'd probably buy it all the time, but being in California, it's got some tough competition. I might buy this once a month or so.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

16oz can poured into a Surly pint glass. Both thanks to oach

A: Translucent, motionless amber hue with a 3 finger fluffy off white head. Some thin lacing around the glass

S: Grapefruit, melon, orange... a citrus fruit medley if you will. Mixed in there is some caramel malt and pine

T: Fruit takes a little bit of a back seat to the hop bitterness and malt. Definitely still get some grapefruit and orange

M: Medium bodied, light carbonation, creamy mouthfeel. Somewhat juicy if that makes sense. A little bitterness lingers on the tongue in between sips

D: Well, this is probably one of the better IPAs I've had. Very well balanced. Each sip leaves you wanting more. Could drink a few of these easily

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Dark copper with a creamy, off-white head.

S - Grapefruit, pine resin and caramel malt. Fairly standard, but extremely well done.

T - Tons of grapefruit hops with a moderate malt backbone. Very well balanced, malt does a great job keeping up with the tongue-scraping pithy bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with crisp carbonation. Very juicy.

D - Very drinkable as I've come to expect from Surly. Man, these guys make good beer! This is exactly what I want in a IPA, wish I had a fridge full of 'em!

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks goes out to dzyneguru.

A: Dark yellow, almost copper in color. Nice off white colored head. About 2 fingers width.

S: Grapefruit aroma up front with pine hops and a touch of caramel malt. Nothing overpowering here. The aromas all work together to create a very nice smell.

T: I've had this beer before, but this time it is a little more malty than I remember. Still has a great hop profile up front, just a little more carmel flavor in the finish than I remember.

M: Somewhat elevated carbonation but nice medium body.

D: Such a good beer that is so drinkable. Great IPA to seek out. However, I enjoyed its DIPA counterpart (Abrasive) a little more.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

poured aggressively from the can a murky dark amber to a digfish head signature glass with a foamy off white 1/2 finger head leaving nice retention.

strong aroma of piney and citrus hops.

tastes of piney hops forward and citrus following closely.

very creamy, smooth, only slightly bitter at the back of the tongue.

way more drinkable than expected.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into an Imperial Pint glass.

A - Copper with a slight chill haze. Low, off white head that quickly falls. Light Belgian Lace on sides of glass.

S - Grapefruit and a slight woody/grassy hop aroma in balance with sweet caramel. Light alcohol noticeable too. Could use a little bolder hop aroma.

T - Grapefruit and caramel up front; more caramel than I'm used to in an American IPA. Firm bitterness follows closely behind. Toasty malt is hidden in there somewhere. Grassy finish with a lingering bitterness; has the "scrape your tongue" kind of lingering hop quality that I've come to expect from an American IPA.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation and dry. Slight stickiness lingers afterward, which keeps this from being as refreshing as it could be.

D - An excellent American IPA. I prefer the ones that only have the bare minimum of caramel malt, and this one has more than I like. Otherwise it's a very enjoyable American IPA that I greatly appreciate on this hot summer day.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

16oz can into Gulden Draak tulip. Big thanks to thecaptain073 for letting me try this one.

A: Pours a dark amber with a couple fingers of sticky, oily, light tan head that left a sheet of very sticky lacing around the glass.
S: A bouquet of citrus and pine hops burst with notes of grapefruit, pineapple, citrus rind and pine. Very wonderfully sweet and strong smelling for an IPA. Notes of sweet caramel malt poke through the hop madness.
T: The hops in this taste just like fresh juicy grapefruit, complete with a fair amount of bitter pith. The finish contains a touch of caramel malt sweetness.
M: Medium-light mouthfeel with low carbonation. Body is not heavy or syrupy at all. Hop flavors are fresh and clean. Finish is smooth and a bit dry. Could use a bit more carb.
D: A wonder IPA balanced way more towards the hops, just the way I like them. This reminds me a lot of Sculpin. A very delicious, light, and refreshing brew I wish I could get here.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Served in a 16 oz. pint glass. Dark amber color with a thick head.
S: Rich citrus, some grapefruit and a little pine.
T: Initially bitter, followed by an intense citrus flavor with a caramel finish. A very nice balance of flavors
M: Average mouth feel.
D: Excellent drinkability, especially if you like aromatic hops.

I enjoy this beer very much.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an attractive amber-red with a bubbly white and short lived head.

Nose is all about citrus and pine in a background of malt. Very nice.

Bitterness of citrus peels along with pine immediately announce there are ample hops on the palate but just the same it's not angrily hoppy. This may be just about perfectly my idea of a very drinkable hopped up IPA, as it's offset with some nice caramel flavors of roast malt. Refreshing and flavorful without being at all cloying.

The body does have some legs, but is cut by a moderately high degree of carbonation. I find it very drinkable even with the moderately high degree of hop.

Another example of a great beer from Surly. I love this stuff. Sure am glad I live here and can get it fresh!

4.31/5  rDev 0%

Received this in a recent trade with airohead2001, thanks a ton! I had the chance to try Abrasive about a month ago and have been really excited to try Furious ever since. Poured from a 16 oz can into a snifter.

A: beautiful 2 finger off white head. Medium-dark amber color with some ruby-red tones as well. Excellent head retention and excellent lacing.

S: Lots of citrus on the nose. Tangerines, lemons, and a little bit of earthiness at the end are the smells I get. The smell was quite good, but not amazing.

T: Delicious, not overly bitter hops are the main characteristic of this beer. There's a nice malt backbone, that adds some balance and mellowness and also adds to the drinkability. The main flavors I get are of oranges, grapefruit, earthiness, and some bitterness at the finish.

M: Above average, but probably the weakest part of this brew. It is on the thicker side and on the higher side of carbonation. Although these two factors balance each other out somewhat.

D: Excellent, I would love another can of this right now! Unfortunately I only have one. So glad I had the change to try this. It is another excellent IPA from Surly, although it is quite pleasantly distinct from Abrasive. Overall, not quite as good as Abrasive if my memory serves me correctly, though I would need to do a side by side to confirm this.

Poured from a 16oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Pours a dark copper color with a nice symphony of carbonation bubbles that produce a big white soapy head and leaves nice lacing on my glass. Starts off with an intense hop aroma with pine resin, a nice array of citrus and tropical fruits, some floral scents mixed in with some nice aromatic caramel malts. Taste starts off with some nice mango, tropical fruit, and pine hop flavors then finishes with a nice strong but not overpowering caramel/toffee backbone. This is a meduim bodied IPA that is very well balanced and feels really nice on the palate, the hops let you know they're there but doesn't overpower it. This has been my favorite all around brew since I first tried it after a Vikings game last year. I always try to keep this one stocked in my fridge even through I sometimes have to drive two hours to replenish it. I just can't get enough of this stuff. This is my perfect 5 beer.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Light amber makes up the base, while traces of copper can be found in the areas with more light density.

Smells: Sweet but spicy smells protrude though a spectacular wave of citrus and floral hop characteristics.

Taste: A full body is covered with spicy, citrus flavors that come from the high, but not at all overpowering IBU level.

Mouthfeel: All different types of flavors cover separate areas of the mouth to combine a great malty but spicy flavor. spectacular combination.

Drinkability: A medium ABV and huge amounts of flavors make it hard to go through great quantities. However, you cannot stop at two or three, too great of a beer.

Thanks Omar,

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Furious poured into a new belgium globe glass.
A: Red, orange, mahogany.
S: Citrus, hoppy, a little bit skunky
T: Nice punch of hops, tad bit smoky with the swallow.
M: Immediately, with the first sip, all tastebuds are alive and feelin' good. Very enjoyable aftertaste - stays with you but not for an overwhelmingly long period of time.
D: Superb beer. Like most IPAs - probably can't drink it all night but it is a fab beer. I would drive to the Cities just for this! Love that it's served in a can. Unique and fun!

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I was pretty excited to get a can of this stuff as part of a trade with rudge75 over at Half Pints. It's pretty hard to acquire good American brews in Canada if you're not actively trading with Americans or making frequent trips yourself. Thanks a ton, Dave.

Pours a dark, translucent amber. Patchy cover of cream-white head, with a ring around the glass leaving some lacing.

The nose presents a ton of potent pine, grapefruit and lychee along with some caramel malt. Textbook IPA smell, along the lines of what all brewers should be shooting for.

Again, lots of pine, grapefruit rind and roasty caramel malt in the mouth. In spite of being quite flavourful, I find it to be the slightest bit watery somehow. Still, this is great stuff. Very similar to what I remember of Red Racer (another great canned IPA) and not sure which I prefer. I'd need to drink them side by side.

Medium body and carbonation. Nothing special, though appropriate.

Not sure I'd want to session this, it's just over the line in terms of bitterness. Definitely hophead friendly. I'm glad I finally had a chance to try this stuff. Two or three cans would go down just fine.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can poured into 2 New Belgium goblets shared with hu5om:

A: Little-to-no head, which dissipated quickly following the pour. a dark mauve color that is rather opaque with no sediment visible.

S: Very sweet citrus smell with a lingering aroma of hops.

T: An excellent hoppy beer, an IPA though not labelled as such by Surly. Citrus flavors are omnipresent and the hops give the mouth a solid buzz.

MF/D: A blast of taste overshadows the carbonation making it a smooth hop-beer. a fantastic (as always) beer from a can.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

split with newk320 in new belgium goblets

a- translucent bronish red, small ring of off white foam persisted

s- citrus, grapefruit hops, a bit of spicy malt

t- hops first, citrus. not too big but a nice punch. decently balanced with the spicy malty lightness. a bit of pine. taste doesn't linger too long

m- effervescent (sp?). fairly light actually, clean aftertaste for this many hops.

d- epic. i could drink more than a few. surly twists styles perfectly again here into an IPA session beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Furious from Surly Brewing Company