1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Furious - Surly Brewing Company

FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,463 | Reviews: 1,351 | Show All Ratings:
alphagnome

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Appearance:
Pours a deep amber color with little carbonation and plenty of sediment hanging in suspension. Topped with a thin, cream head that disappeared within minutes.

Aroma:
As the head resided, it revealed some pleasant, grassy and pine hop aromas that wraps up with a bit of lemongrass.

Taste:
This one has quite the initial bitter bite! It quickly vanished and presented a rather complex palate: grapefruit, lemon peel, orange, mint and even a bit of asparagus are all present with some roasted caramel malt to try and balance the bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
This is a very nice, medium-body brew. It finishes quite dry leaving you wanting more with simple grassy flavors in the aftertaste - it works. And well.

Overall:
Surly sadly doesn't distribute to Iowa at the moment, so whenever I have an opportunity to get ahold of any of their fine line-upI jump on it. Such an opportunity arose recently and I got this gem - a great example of the style and a must try if given the opportunity.

09-09-2013 03:46:07 | More by alphagnome
Mikecap

Louisiana

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Evan for again throwing me a great beer!

Appearance: Poured a medium copper color with one finger of white head that fades quickly, lining the glass with off-white lacing.

Smell: Pine is dominant with fresh hops coming to the nose. Some nice citrus notes as well with some sweet grapefruit and a bit of caramel.

Taste: Pine again is first with great earthy tastes coming through, bitter hops, then the grapefruit and lemon come through. Also complemented by nice malt character.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with perfect carbonation for the style, solid hop bitterness and a nice finish.

Overall: Fantastic IPA that I wish I could get all of the time. Absolutely worth trying if you can get it. Thanks again Evan!

09-09-2013 00:54:42 | More by Mikecap
jbaker67

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with small off-white head that leaves a little lacing. Aroma is full of citrus, pine, and floral hops with just enough caramel malts for a good balance. Taste is bitter at start and finish with a bit of sweetness in the middle. Medium body, average carbonation, and a crisp mouthfeel

09-07-2013 17:15:09 | More by jbaker67
Benish

Wisconsin

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is about a few months old but the flavors seem to have held well in this can. Poured into snifter glass. Very light in amber color with an inch white head after pouring aggressively. Dissipated rather quickly with no remaining head at the surface.

Picked up aroma of citrus and pine. Its like the two aromas are fighting for attention. Hard to pick out the winner for this one.

The flavor is fantastic. Instant bitterness and sweet malt all over the mouth. Once again, these two opponents are fighting for attention and there's no winner on this one. The hops and the malt balances each other perfectly. Picked up some burnt toffee, citrus, and a little bit of pine. It finishes bitter and remains that way before the next sip.

This beer has a medium to heavy bodied mouthfeel. Almost slick along the mouth. Perfectly carbonated.

This beer is good. For the flavor profile I'm getting here, hard to believe it only tops off at 6.20% ABV. Would pick this over Surely Overrated. While the Overrated was good, Furious gives the extra bitterness I'm looking for.

09-06-2013 23:02:58 | More by Benish
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep clearish amber with two fingers of tan head, nice lacing.

Smell is citrus, pine, caramel malts, pineapple, grapefruit, very floral smelling.

Taste is grapefruit, lemon, pine, herbal hop presence, citrus peel, nice malt backbone, finishes rather bitter

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side of medium, sharp carbonation and a drying finish.

Well I have had this several times in the past and its always been pretty Meh compared to the IPAs I like to drink. Store by me was having a sale so I thought I would give it another shot, glad I did. It is very fresh and very good, Surly sure knows how to brew a good hoppy beer... I love Abrasive and Overrated and I really like this little guy as well!

08-30-2013 21:55:04 | More by nickapalooza86
Walletsworth

North Dakota

4.84/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I never give a beer a perfect rating but this beer is as close as it gets. Perfect two finger head when I poured it into my chalice. Perfect lacing. The taste is a great hoppy flavor but not overpowering. A slight piney sweet taste and smell. Anybody who can get their hands on this beer definitely should.

08-21-2013 00:29:17 | More by Walletsworth
joe1510

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz Can

Recieved this long sought after brew from my Secret Santa Tayner, you're the best. Furious pours amber with a mild case of chill haze. Tiny streams of carbonation bubbles stream to the surface. A one finger light beige head appeared on the pour and although losing about half it's height becomes ultra creamy and leaves thick drink lines.

Furious smells like what an IPA should smell like. Caramel maltiness is there but way in the background where it should be. The middle brings sweetened grapefruit for a flash before some bitter grapefruit and big pine break through and overtake everything else. There's also a slight aspirin bitterness.

This is a high quality IPA. Again the caramel is there but is knocked back so quickly that you have to pay attention to catch it. That sweetened grapefruit comes along mid-palate just before the bitter pine and grapefruit pith destroy your palate. I love me a good ol' fashioned hop whompin' and Furious delivers.

Medium bodied with a lively carbonation that not tingles every tastebud but awakens them for the stomping they're about to take. Leaves a solid lingiering bitterness after each sip.

The drinkability is so good I'm already getting teary eyed that my one and only can is just about gone. I could sip this all night long. I just want another mouthful after mouthful of pine.

Furious is one of my new favorite IPAs and without question lives up to the praise it recieves. Guess I'll be making a trip up to Minnesota in the very near future. I just need to get my hands on the other Surly offerings.

Reviewed: 12/15/07

08-18-2013 22:38:23 | More by joe1510
homer321

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

can thanks to my trading dog in MN. Sat on this one a little too long, so its a little past prime. drinking straight from the can. Nose of citrus like american hops. Flavor is initially bitter, but quickly turns sweet and caramel. finish stays a little sweet, but with some hop astringency - not offensive, drying in a way. Overall, a very good beer when I had it fresh a couple years ago, but after I sat on this can for a few months, it's definitely lost some hops.

08-12-2013 00:53:14 | More by homer321
MetricOcean

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a deep dark copper with a substantial head. Immediate aroma is pine and citrus hop forward notes which fade into bready caramel ones. There is an initial aggressive and harsh bitterness, but the bitterness in the finish is much smoother and soft. The hop flavors come across as quite citrusy, lots of orange juice and tangerine lending a very bright taste. There is a subtle sweet caramel backbone that complements the intensity of the hops, but doesn't temper or balance them much. Not nearly as overly aggressive and in-your-face bitter as I remember it being but sill an extremely great example of its style.

08-11-2013 01:15:01 | More by MetricOcean
HoppyKilaMonster

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Can of Surly Furious, poured into a pint glass

A- It is a dark brown, with a frothy tan head.

S- As soon as the can was cracked open, the smell of hops fills the air.

T-A little underwelming for a Surly IPA. I was expecting an over the top hopiness. Its not here. That isnt a bad thing, just different from what i expected. A very easy, smooth drinker though. There is a sweet maltiness in this one, balancing it out very well.

M- Very easy drinking. The right ammount of carbonation, a little bit of hops on the back of your tounge in the aftertaste.

O- Furious is not what I expected it to be, but is a good IPA none the less. Far easier to drink a few some then some of their other offerings.

08-06-2013 23:08:30 | More by HoppyKilaMonster
Treyliff

West Virginia

4.14/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Canned 6/7/13' poured into a tulip

A- pours a dark golden-bronze color with a two-finger creamy off-white head that reduces to a small layer that resides in top, leaving some short lasting lace

S- danky bright hop aromas; notes of fresh cut grass, grapefruit rind, orange juice, fresh mint leaf, hemp, just a bit of sweet bready malt at the end. Potent aroma worthy of a DIPA, let alone a regular IPA.

T- bright citrus and pine hop notes up front follow with some grassy and mint notes, following the nose. A nice and crisp toasted malt bite in the end before a semi-dry finish

M- light-medium body, medium carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel, crisp finish. The body seemed just a bit watery at times.

O- a good IPA with some great citrus and piney hop notes, however the taste didn't quite live up to the aroma for me. Still packed with enough flavor to rival some DIPA's.

07-31-2013 02:56:31 | More by Treyliff
AltBock

4.08/5  rDev -6%

16oz. bright red can with the Surly symbol of an angry and happy man with a pint of beer dressed silver flames. Directly below the symbol is "Furious" in big bold white letters. The back of the can has a good sized paragraph that describes the beer. The bottom of the can has an easy to read canned on date.

I poured this Midwest IPA into my Cigar City pint glass. From behind the bright red can came a great looking IPA that was a dark copper color with a splash of amber. The head of foam on this beer was equally impressive. On top was a tall 3/4 of inch dirty white head of foam. It wasn't pure pearl white or beige. It was one of those off white head of foam. This dirty white head of foam had great retention that left behind a tiny skim of foam, a good sized string of rings, and a fair amount of tiny blots of lace around the glass. This was a nice looking beer.

Like any other IPA in the world, the aroma was a fan of the hops. The hops in Furious were very piney. It loved the piney hops. Behind the piney hops was some minor citrus fruits, a few floral notes, and a solid caramel malt backbone. When its swirled around, a strong aroma of juicy fruits emerges from the background. Very nice aroma!

The taste had pretty much the same story as the aroma. It had everything that the aroma except for the juicy fruit hidden surprise. This beer didn't want to mess around so it started off with the piney hops and subtle pine needles. Following behind the pine was some dried citrus fruits, some minor floral notes, and hint of sweet caramel malts at the finish line. Very good pine based IPA.

This was a medium bodied Midwestern IPA that had its fair share of carbonation and a dried pine based aftertaste. The aftertaste was mostly pine with subtle amounts of citrus and floral flavors. This aftertaste lingers in in the back of your mouth for a few minutes.

I would like to thank BA mnbuffalo for hooking me up with this canned winner. This 16oz can didn't last long in my possession. This was a very good pine based IPA. I wouldn't mind another 4 pack.

07-28-2013 23:50:39 | More by AltBock
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.55/5  rDev -18.2%

This beer better be furious! See what I did there? I haven't mad many beers from this brewing company, but two are on our list. The first one we did wasn't very good, but I heard, after sharing our review of that one, that this is the best beer they make. I like hops, and this is a HOP BOMB coming in at 99 IBU. Do you know what IBU stands for? That means international bittering units. This is a measure of how hoppy a beer is. Humans can't taste beyond 100 IBU, but there are beers that go beyond that. Like the Green Flash Palate Wrecker. That beer, this year, was 137 IBU. It. Is. GREAT!

This beer is also served in a can. Not a lot of our beers are canned. but cans are starting to become a big deal in craft beer. Just today I saw Papago selling several beers from Ballast Point… ALL canned. Some beers taste better in the can, but that doesn't mean I want everything to start moving toward cans. Hoppy beers taste better from a can, though. You know me and hops. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The tasting notes said this beer was copper in color. It's not. It looks like any other American IPA I have had. We did a hoppy beer the other night, and I am pumped to try this one. Some buddies on Google+ said this was the best beer Surly makes. I hope, because I didn't really care for the other cans I have had. Still a fun story and awesome logo! There is a nice thin head left on this, with some insanely sticky lace. In my head I know what this tastes like… I just hope it delivers.

Nose: The nose is nice, but it isn't anything to write home about. It has some nice piney notes to it, but isn't really screaming huge hoppy flavors. This beer is 99 IBU, which is high for an American IPA. It's not high for a double IPA, but that seems high for just a regular canned IPA.

There is a hint, and I mean a subtle hint, of sweetness toward the end. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Holy hoppy goodness! I wish more daily drinking India pale ales would taste like that. It hits your palate with a punch of pine, and then as you swallow, the subtle fruity flavors start to open up. The beer is quite carbonated, but as this heats up and as this mellows out, the bubbles won't really bother me.

I will say, even after a few sips of this, the lace is still sticking to the side of the glass. Unless I grabbed a dirty glass, this beer has some impressive lace characteristics.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite carbonated. More than I would like for an American IPA. The real experience happens toward the back of the palate. It has a nice fluffy feel to it, but as you swallow, more bubbles really overtake your palate.

Aftertaste: It's not dry… but it's close. It has a nice drying sensation as you swallow and as you continue to swallow. The burp is nice, too. Of course, there is some of dinner in there. I had grilled chicken tonight, but I soaked it in hot sauce. This isn't a beer that I would chug, not one that I would give to someone that says, "Tell me more about craft beer." This is not a gateway beer.

Surly is a good brewery, don't get me wrong. But they aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Speaking of sliced bread, there have been some pretty awesome inventions since sliced bread. Like the Internet! Anyway, if you can easily grab this beer, do. I bet it is great on tap. But for $9.99 for 4 cans, it is a bit overpriced. Cheers!

07-26-2013 04:26:38 | More by rickyleepotts
sleuthdog

4.21/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to ObiWanKushnobi for this

Poured into Shorts glass

Pour: Dark orange with reddish hues and a good three fingers off white head. Left sticky, soapy lacing when it finally did recede.

Smell: Pine (resinous), floral, somewhat citrus with a bit of pineapple. Grain and some caramel.

Taste: Again resinous pine with some grapefruit, pineapple leading into a drying bitterness. Not overly bitter at all but instead rather pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium, crisp, moderate carbonation. Again quite dry on the finish creating the need for another sip.

Overall: Very drinkable IPA and enjoyable.

07-25-2013 01:08:12 | More by sleuthdog
VelvetExtract

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a reasonably clear hue. Copper body. I think chill haze is the only haze I see. This ale Boasts a short, stocky, compact head. Very clingy lacing.

S-Furious! Hoppy! Huge whiffs of hoppy deliciousness. It doesn't necessarily jump out of the glass but when you stick your nose in there, you really notice the power within the aroma. A bit dank, with some green onions. Grapefruit cocaine shooting up my nose too. There is also a solid dosage of caramel and sweet bread.

T-So hoppy but so shockingly balanced. Aggressive hoppiness married to a sexy malt bill. Hops on top of sweet bread. Reminds me a lot of Maine's Zoe except definitely more aggressive. Grapefruit, grass, herbal, floral and righteously spicy in its hoppiness. But then, a sultry maltiness just absolutely weds the hoppiness. Sweet popover malt meets hop-melee.

M-Bitter all day. Bitterness just sticks and lasts. I hate having to savor this can because I want nine more just for the night.

O/D-I have heard in the past that this is more of an aggressively hoppy Amber than an IPA. I agree and that may be why I love this beer so much. Its hoppiness is better composed than 97% of the IPAs out there and it also has a delectable malt backing. What a gem.

07-19-2013 00:00:58 | More by VelvetExtract
hoppytobehere

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz canned 06/20/2013

A: Hazy, dull copper almost brown color. Excellent retention. Small amount of floaties if you look close.

S: Nose is swimming with hops, but there's a ton of caramel almost chocolate malt in here as well.

T: Tons of bitterness from the abundance of American hops. Some citrus, pine, and grass. Balances well with a heavy malt backbone.

M: Creamier than most IPAs, kind of chewy. Nice carbonation.

O: I prefer IPAs that are dry and have less malt, but this is definitely a well-made beer. If only Surly started distributing outside of Minnesota...

07-18-2013 02:48:18 | More by hoppytobehere
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can from Kjyost. From notes.

A - Poured a reddish colour with a two finger off white head. Good carbonation coming up the cloudy body. Spotty lace rings and a film of retention remained.

S - Piney, grapefruit, mango, hop candy, spristy. Nice.

T - A little malty sweetness and a big pine and citrus with lot's of hop depth. Spritsy, grapefruit, citrus peel, orange.

M - Decent carbonation just above mild that was nice and tingly. Medium body, good strong bitterness.

O/D - A solid IPA. Aggressive and tasty with tons of solid IPA hop complexity. Highly drinkable as well. Ranks up there with the best of them.

07-18-2013 00:08:25 | More by tbeckett
schwemjw

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark copper with a fluffy white head.

S: Spicy. loads of citrus and earthy hops Dry pine offset by caramel and a nice malty base. A little dry acidic grapefruit and the end.

T: The first thing that comes to mind is this is an earth forward spicy brew. Lots of pine resin and very grassy. Floral hops come into play balanced off with caramel and a tart citrus. Mouthwatering acidity with a dry bitter finish that goes on and on and on.

M: Nice carbonation! a decent body, light to medium, with a fantastic finish.

O: This is an awesome beer. Everytime i have it i like it more and more. very bitter and just bursting with flavor. Unbalanced and furious! / 93

07-16-2013 19:42:32 | More by schwemjw
jroberts8811

Missouri

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a pint can into a Surly "pint" glass

A - pours a transparent amber, no cloudiness. off-white head with large carbonation, settles into a soft foamy head.

S - hops, flowers, citrus, malt, bread, honey

T - sweetness, malt and tons of grapefruit. very citrusy with the bitterness from hops on the finish

M - medium, smooth. lightly carbonated.

O - great IPA, would definitely seek it out again.

07-15-2013 22:14:49 | More by jroberts8811
StuporJew

4.16/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into my trusty Samuel Smiths' Imperial Pint Glass

A - Pours a burnt, rusty orange, with a creamy, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a decent amount of lacing. Almost deep enough color to be considered a red IPA.

S - Gobs of pine-gum, Lemon-mint, and lemon verbena. The malt shows up later in the game, on the nose, but backs up this hop bomb, nicely. Simcoe hops, how I love thee... Let me count the ways. 50 IBU's, 60 IBU's...

T - The Taste follows the nose here, with more pine, Lemon rind, mango, and light grassy tones. The malt, once again, lifts up the flavor, providing backbone and hints of rye bread, caramel, and warming alcohol. A VERY well-balanced beer, all told. YUM.

M - Full, and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, driven by the hops, but followed closely by the malts. The ABV helps keep this one warm, without overwhelming the flavor, and adding unneeded heat to the beer.

O - Another beer that makes me glad to have friends that travel out of state... I can't wait for the day that Surly makes it's way to Texas Distributors!!! If you can get your hands on this beer, DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! GET TO THE (C)HOPPER!!! All that said, it's damned tasty, and you should drink it.

Cheers!!!

<Matt The Beer-Guy>

07-14-2013 03:28:01 | More by StuporJew
4ster

Quebec (Canada)

4.21/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a large Tulip, can dated May 9, 2013. Thanks to FrostyWPG for this one!

A: A somewhat clear, ruby - burnt orange colour, different from the rich golden colour you usually associate with a DIPA, like Abrasive. Not a huge amount of head, perhaps a quick 1 finger, but decent lacing upon retreat.

S: Lots of sweet, roasted malts with a nice underlying hop aroma; refreshing tropical fruit, melons, grape, lightly pined...

T: Straight off, this isn't your regular IPA....(ok it is an American one, but even then...) as oft noted, really starts off caramel, lightly sweet malts with a citrus undertone and slight woodsy flavour.... but then the hops get angry that the malt is stepping to the front! some might even say Furious... (sorry),... there is a sharp about turn in this one as you near the finish and you get hit with waves of piney, grape-ish-fruit bitterness... this one really leaves you with all 99IBU at the end of the sip...

M: slightly light feeling, with medium + carbonation that is a slight fizzy on the tongue... slightly dry and a fair amount of stickiness...

O: Overall I'd say it's a nice beer, but I'm a bit stuck if I'm just glad I've gotten to try it, or it's something I'd drink more often if available.... it has some interesting flavours and is different which I appreciate, but I just feel like it just doesn't have that balance you find brewers seeking in a double IPA, with rich florals/citrus's/sweet flavours to balance out the hop... here you have some toasted malts that aren't that sweet and then a whole wack of hops... it just needs a little more sweetness or fruits or something... not sure if it's the yeast they use or what...? Still worth trying out though as it's not still an interesting hoppy beer...

07-14-2013 00:24:53 | More by 4ster
crowsoup

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in trade from a friend in Minneapolis and my hopes were high. Furious did not disappoint. A deep, amber/red color, nice off-white head and moderate carbonation all hold up a fresh, fruity scent. The malt back-bone elevates the hops creating a truly satisfying IPA. I'm sold, I just wish I could track it down at my corner store.

07-09-2013 18:20:12 | More by crowsoup
XavierK31

South Dakota

4.99/5  rDev +15%

Hands down one of my favorite beers. Red in color... Very aggressive but at the same time very well balanced. A citrus aroma, with some hints of pine and oak. 99 IBUs I believe, but Surly knows how to balance the hops with other flavors. It's an IPA that goes down very smooth.

07-09-2013 16:49:43 | More by XavierK31
johnnieoz

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Canned on 5/21/13 (brought to ATX thanks to AHM)

A beautiful, golden ale with a magnificent mango-y & citrusy nose.

The malt backbone is very strong om this one, but it is neither in the 90 minute style nor an English IPA. Awesome hops are still omnipresent in this MIPA - Minnesota IPA.

At 6.2% abv, and with such a unique aroma/flavor profile, Furious deserves a spot next to 60 minute any day. Just wish it was more widely available. Kudos Surly!

07-06-2013 23:37:55 | More by johnnieoz
Sark

Montana

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance- a half finger of off-white head, this beer had a dark red hue with little carbonation

Smell- Caramel malts with a slight citrus zing, earthy notes on the back end

Taste- With caramel maltiness and citrus hops in the beginning, it then made a switch to a bread centered and light yeast/ grassy mid-mouth, there was a bitter finish that hung around for a while

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with some alpha bitterness left on the tongue

Overall- Very nice for one pint as it feels a little heavier than you'd expect

07-02-2013 03:21:19 | More by Sark