Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,494
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,423 | Hads: 4,918
4.19/5  rDev -3%

Received in a trade from the very awesome and generous Younger35.

The beer pours a rustic brown with light tan highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head caps this beer off. It left patchy lacing on the sides of the imperial pint glass. You can smell the aromatics coming off of this as you pour the beer. Huge wafts of fresh grapefruit, pine, ripe citrus fruit, toffee and caramel malt scent try to even things out. The first sip brings on huge flavors of fresh grapefruit, fruity esters, and a very dominant malt base. This beer has a bite on it that is approaching double IPA proportions. The hop flavor is in your face, but the biscuity malt reigns it in just right. The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Drinkability is very good on this beer. It isn't the most well balanced IPA, but I like the different take Furious brought to the table.

Thanks for the trade Dan! (891 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

Beer #11 in my 366 Days of Beer Quest, tasted on 1/11. Big thanks to esch for this one! I've heard a lot about this IPA, I'm excited.

A: Pours a dark copper body into a tulip glass. A massive light khaki head forms a soapy mountain w/ great retention, and sticky webs of lacing cling to the glass.

S: Tuck-loads of hops, this is aptly named, wow. A fantastically fresh hop aroma of pine, citrus (orange, red grapefruit) and light floral aromas fill the room. The pure, fresh power of the hops is intense. Yet dark honey and toffee bring it back to a tolerable level.

M: Medium body, med. carbonation which has a nice bite. The M.F. is full and mouth-coating. Nice.

T: Gobs of impressively bitter, piney hops assault the palate with a sticky, oily bitterness. It would be overwhelming if not for the honey-sweet malts and huge fresh biscuit body. Of course it's more hop-focused, yet a balance is still apparent. The finish is long w/ an intense bitterness. Resinous, caramel and grapefruit notes.

D: A beast of an IPA, a hophead's nirvana and so hoppy and tasty I can't help but need more. It needs a VERY spicy curry to bring out it's full potential. Only experienced hopheads apply. A must have. (1,205 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Big props to Pitmonkey for the chance to drink this one. To begin with I've have heard ghost stories about the bitterness of this beer so I was expecting alot. And boy was I not dissappointed! It pours a beautiful deeply hazed brown/orange topped with a nice little fluffy head. The nose.. well the nose is intense. It smells very big. Like a handfull of Warrior pellet hops. Big and acidic and maybe some amonia too. The taste is way off balanced and I'm not complaining at all. I think there might be a touch of carmel malts, maybe. Who cares let me enjoy my hops. As the beer warms the nose matures more refined spicy piney hops. This beer is so good I would inject this beer into my veins and walk around all day with a drip but I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much. The Mecca for hopheads. (792 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Wow I popped open the can (thanks MuenchenerKindl ) and the floral aroma just filled the room poured into my pint glass a nice cloudy orange brown with a full two fingers worth of head
The flavors in this one really surprised me it was nicely balance for an IPA the sweetness of the malts start off then the hops, pine, citrus, kicks in
Wonderful mouth feel creamy start, nice and crisp finish. what I want in an IPA
I drink more if I can find more up here in the frozen north. Definitely the best beer I had from a can (522 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Map Room awhile back side by side with a FFF Alpha King. It really makes the FFF taste like the Pale Ale it is rather than the IPA this is, wheras on its own the FFF always tasted super hoppy to me. This is much more so. Pours a slightly hazy amber with a head that fades to a cap that sticks around and generates some good lacing. Fruity aromas with lots of citrusy hops, including a good dose of pith-like smells. Tastes similar- big and bold with lots of citrusy hops, a lingering bitterness, and a brighter fruit finish with sweet citrus and cherry, and a slight hit of metal right at the end. Mouthfeel is slightly thick but not grainy or sweet. Just delicious and a pleasure to try this. I just wish the distribution were a little wider. Also, I love good beer in cans, so I'm glad they went that route for packaging. I'm sure it must hold up as well that way as on draft. (901 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big 2 finger head with excelletn retention. Cloudy amber color.

Smell is of cascade hops and a little bit of piney hops. Grape undertones come out as well.

Taste: A nice hop bomb with a balancing caramel and pale maltiness. Fruity esters add a layer of complexity. Grape is the most noticeable of these esters.

Nice mouthfeel. Full and slightly creamy.

A very nice ipa that is very sessionable. (398 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

world-class IPA. I really need to get back up there and get some more!

16 oz can.

Appearance...no, wait - as I am smelling this crazy-good beer long before it hits the glass, let's give the aroma the attention it is screaming for! One of my favorite aromas in the beer world. There is no fault to find with this. Caramel and huge citrus blend together in such a ridiculous fashion. Drool-inducing.

as for the appearance, it pours a nicel orange/amber color. Haze is pretty minimal, but I wouldn't call it clear. Off-white head leaves excellent intricate lacing.

Hops are everywhere in the flavor, but manage to show depth as well as strength. There's a lot here! It's bitter, with ample citrus, sweet and bitter on top of caramel...it's delicious. Mouth-watering. Bitterness lingers on the palate, and you ponder opening another against a rapidly dwindling supply.

Goes down extremely easy, but due to supply, ample bitterness, and ABV I'll restrain from a "5" on drinkability. The mouthfeel is nice - just nice - conditioning is usually fine but I've had a bit of variation among my numerous experiences with this beer.

Highly recommended. (1,148 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

16oz can

Pours a dark reddish amber with a nice 1-2 finger head that fades to a fine bubbly covering that leaves hella lace.

Smells very familiar... is that cascade perhaps? Cascade bomb. Citrus, woodsy pine, some floral hops. Bit of sweet caramel.

Some sweet caramalt thats quickly covered up by extreme hop bitterness. This one's as hop-strong as some brewers Double IPAs. Strong woodsy hop bittering finish.

Soft but still a bit stingy on the tongue.

Hard for me to rate this one overall, its damn good, but soo damn similar to most every other IPA made (just better). (576 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Pouring from the can (strange to say can with a great bear like this) results in a glorious orange'ish color with a 1" light tan head that fills an english pint glass to perfection. The aroma is of citrus and hops, it makes my mouth water! The first first taste that hits you are the hops, and then the sweetness of the malt creeps in..but not for long, the palate is left with a hop bitter that lasts for a while.

Perhaps the hop linger is a bit much...???

But, I must say it is a fine beer that everyone who likes hops has to at least try once in their life. (562 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Burnt orangeish, medium brown color. Non transparent. Head is 3/4" off white head after a semi conservative pour. Lacing is very sticky all the way down the sides of the glass. Very unique color.

S- Hoppy and sour, but buttery and creamy too. Smells of caramel, chocolate, and smoky malts.

T- Bitter hops, but at the same time is very sweet, buttery and creamy. Malts are very woodsy and smokey. Chocolatey and piney with some spices thrown in; almost cinnamon like.

M- Thick and creamy with mid to high carbonation. Stings the tongue nicely and is very sticky.

D- Very high. Could see myself drinking alot of this if I lived in the Minneapolis area.

Overall- Very good beer. My first Surly offering and I am glad I got to try it. Thanks to a trade from Unclejedi for making this possible. I love the marketing with the can and the design, and I love the fact that they made a different spin on the IPA, stepped out of the box a little, and totally delivered. Very nice! (978 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Deep red body topped by an off-white head. Aroma is mostly American hops with a bit of malt background. Flavor is strong on hops. Not just bitterness, but nice pine and citrus flavor as well. Also strong malt notes of caramel and toasted malt. Mouthfeel is solid, perhaps a bit too strong on the carbonation. Drinkability is aso good. From the first drink to the last, this reminds me of Arrogant Bastard. Maybe a bit fresher take, but remarkably similar in inspiration. (470 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at Clark St. Ale House. The beer pours a totally opaque orange-amber with at least two fingers of creamy off-white carbonation that tracks lacing all over the walls of the glass. This is how IPAs are supposed to look.

The smell is a mixture of pine, bitter orange, and mango. I don't know what the hop bill is here (other than Amarillo), but Surly nailed this blend here. What surprises me is the thick backbone of caramel malts, which adds depth to the hop aromas without washing them out. I'm used to malt flavors cutting into the raw citrusy goodness of hops in the maltier IPAs (90-minute, for example), but there is none of that here.

The flavor opens up with hop flavors-- orange, grapefruit, mango, and some pine, with caramel malt flavors adding creaminess and complexity mid-palate. The whole thing fades into a lip-smacking bitter finish, but the malt flavors never drop out entirely. The balance on this beer is sublime.

The mouthfeel is bright, resinous, and just a little creamy.

In the past few weeks, I've been complaining that all American IPAs taste basically the same, and that it would be pretty much impossible for an IPA to really blow my doors off at this stage of the game. I generally stand by that statement, but at least this once, Surly has made me eat my words. (1,300 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

On Tap @ Map Room

Grapefruit and oranges highlight this exceptional IPA. Only Dogfish's 90-minute and Bell's Two Hearted hold a candle to this. I have 3 cans of this in the fridge, but am saving them.

On tap, this was sensual overload. It was the first beer of the night and is as memorable as a first kiss. Citrus never tasted so fresh. I would almost never classify an IPA as a session beer... but I would gladly tempt the hangover of the century to have these all night.

If you're a hop-lover... what the hell are you waiting for? (536 characters)

Pours a hazy amber color with a tan head. In the aroma, grapefruity hops and a scottish ale malt. In the taste, sweet piney malt, scottich ale like. A slightly bitter mouthfeel and a piney malt aftertaste. A hoppy scotish ale? Interesting with the malt, tasty, feel bigger in ABV than really is though. (302 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Bought this at Surdyks in Minneapolis on a recent trip home to Minneapolis. Poured from a 16oz can into a Chimay chalice. Dark hazy amber color with a brown hue. One finger thick, light tan, dense head with good retention. Lots of sticky lace down the glass.

Aromatic hops smell dominates. Typical floral and citrus from the hops with a little malt sweetness.

Definitely a hop lovers beer. Does have a little carmel malt sweetness to counteract the hops, but would not consider it balanced - typical for IPA. Bitter hops aftertaste that hangs around on the palate for a while.

Creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Oily and slick. Became somewhat watery with warming.

A little too bitter to consider extremely drinkable. But great to quench a hops craving.

Great beer for hop-lovers. I will definitely be seeking this out when I'm in MN. (848 characters)

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Reddish orange with a nice foamy white-tan head. Leaves nice lace.

Smell: Hops and lots of them. Piney and floral. A slight sweet maltyness in there maybe.

Taste: Lots of hop flavor. Bitterness levels are high but the malt backbone does show through. Very flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Pretty bitter but also a pretty drinkable brew. (391 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Paired with Garlic Chicken.

Poured from a 16oz. can.

Appearance: Copper color with a thick head (3 fingers) & lots of carbonation.

Smell: Hops & malty aspect come to mind right away.

Taste: Wow, bitterness of hops hits you & also taste of pine & spices float around in there. What i like is that even though there is a powerful hop presence, it's very well balanced with the different flavors in it.

Mouthfeel: Heavy on the palate but as it warms, the pine & citrus are more dominant. Very pleasant bitterness that lasts well after the sip.

Drinkability: I love hoppy beers & usually have no problem with them, but as i was finishing it, the bitterness was almost too much for me.

Overall: A very good, well constructed beer with a powerful hop wallop. Flavors abound from all over & are very pleasant. I would like to revisit though as maybe i was tired or something because the hoppiness really got to me near the end. A must for hopheads! (982 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

I got this can in a trade with leftmindedrighty. Thanks Aaron!

This pours from 16oz can a cloudy rusty brown colour with a very small head of foam.

The smell is *very* nice. Caramel malt is there in abundance as is a nice strong hoppy nose.

The taste starts off malty sweet, that caramel is very tasty, and then the hops move in with some grapefruit, some Pine, and a bit of grass and spice and the whole taste becomes very nicely balanced until the near the finish where the hops take over but wait, they don't take over entirely. The actual finish has some sweet malt as well. Wow. And talk about smooth and easy drinking. The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is lightly done. Again. Wow and...whoa. I just took my last sip. This puppy disappeared way to quickly! This is one of the best IPAs I've ever had if not *the* best.

Thanks again Aaron! (858 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured with a nice thick, creamy head with quite a few big bubbles and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The color is a murky, golden copper.

Smells orange/citrus and pine. This beer wreaks of hop! I love it! :-)

Right away, the beer is creamy and sweet and a second later the hops hit. A nice bitter bite on the tip of the tonge cascades down the side of my mouth. Carbonation is just right - not too little, not too much. The citrusy taste seems to come in and out. This beer is sooo hoppy, at 100 IBU, but it finishes nice and clean. Most hoppy beers I have trouble finishing, but this one could keep going and going. I can't wait to get my hands on more of this! (669 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

I was able to try this on tap at the Blue Nile. Served in a standard pint, the beer is a hazy dark bronze with a skim of off-white head. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

Big nose of pine & citrus. You know what you’re getting into with this one!

The hops hit you right between the eyes. This beer is bitter in the best way. Lots of pine and citrus. Note that the malts are not mia, they eventually appear and add balance and some caramel undertones.

The mouth is sturdy and a bit slick. I like the way this one coats your mouth.

I can see why this beer is popular, I will have another please! (606 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours an orangey brown with a huge sticky cream colored head. Unbelievably thick and sticky lace. The aroma is caramelized fruit, pine, well buttered toast. Superbly balanced flavors of toasted malts and piney hops. Perfect mouthfeel. Just big enough to not be watery, yet thin enough to be easy to drink. Really a fantastic beer. (330 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

"Beer for a glass, from a can" poured into a pint glass.

A - A gorgeous copper with a tight thick creamy head. This is a big beer, so big it won't fit in the glass with all this head. The foam leaves a wonderful lacing, not tight and neat, but erratic and thick. Pouring the last into the glass after a bit of settling time is like building a sand castle from the bottom up, and I'm still not done pouring. Wonderful red-copper color with a little haze, but mostly clear. Makes me proud to be a red-head.

S - Hops jump at you as soon as you crack the can. Grassy, piny, wonderful hops. There's no hiding from the nose on this beer. As I wait for my glass to calm down so I can finish pouring the smell is still hitting me in the face. Very floral hoppage.

T - Tasting just the foam, its so thick and just the foam packs so much hop kick. If you can't handle hops, you won't be able to even handle the head of this beer. 100 IBU. Yes, 100. The sip is like being engulfed by hops. Hops hits your lips, hops hits your teeth, hops hits your tongue and takes over your pallet. Oh wait, there's malt. It comes to you like a vision of grain bringing you back to earth.

M - Warming but not in a boozy way. A bit of bitterness sits on the back of your tongue. This is more of a medium body beer. Not too lively a feel, but this beer is not going to let you hit snooze. As I drink the head of the beer is still trying to tease my nose.

D - One thing that would make this beer more drinkable would be availability in my area! I LOVE THIS BEER! I want to go back to the brewery. Just lock me in their tasting room. Furious is a brewing accomplishment in a can. No other beer has made such an impression. I still remember my very first Surly Furious at MacKenzie's Pub. WHOA! 'yes, that was a good whoa'! (1,798 characters)

Deep brownish amber body hosts a slightly rocky off white head that leaves even lace as it fades. Nose is a very spicey, invigorating hop loaded party for the sences. Just a preview of what is to come. Enters the mouth with an initial short sweetness, but this quickly yields to the hop onslaught. Palate actually stays pretty even hop wise untill the finish when the grassy, sappy hops thru sharp and mouth bruising. It does mellow a bit as it warms a bit. Mouthfeel is very spicey hop laced. This one is nicely drinkable for lovers of hops. (542 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to Eric Bart for hooking me up from his Twin Cities trip.

Ruby copper appearance. A dense thick tan head falls to some very sticky lacing. Huge aromas of grapefruit and pine needles. Tastes of a balance of sweet sticky malt and tangy citrus grapefruit hops. Also finishes slightly bitter and crisp. Mouth feel is creamy and then slick. Drinkability is great! I cant wait to enjoy this on tap here in Chicagoland. Recommended! (433 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz. can served in a pint glass. A bit of a gusher when I opened it.
Poured a hazy dark gold. There appeared to be yeast, can conditioned?
Huge citrusy hop aroma. Initial hit of hop bitterness. Plenty of caramel malt flavors to back it up. Some orange, citrus in the middle.

This is a really nice IPA, plenty of hops for the hop heads, but a nice malt backbone to support it.

Thanks to Dansting for this one. (411 characters)

Furious from Surly Brewing Company