Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,509
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,457 | Hads: 5,123
3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Can: Amber/copper in color with a soapy off-white head. The nose shows lots of citric (especially grapefruit) hops with just a touch of balancing sweet toffee/caramel toward the back. In the mouth it is well-balanced and shows tons of dry and bitter piney/herbal hops vs. the mainly citric hops the nose showed. This one gets bonus points for packing in so many hops at a "lower" alcohol.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this from a can and poured into my GI glass

A - A deep, ruby orange color with a pour of a two thumb head which went down to one that stuck around. Has a bit of a reflective tint to it and only a little bit of light comes through and what does causes there to be bronze rays through the beer. Left some nice lacing down the glass as well.

S - Big whiff of hops and smell of bitterness and orange peel; Actually get a bit more of a caramel malt smell as well than I got from the on tap version. Hint of grapefruit also sticks out. Actually the warmer the beer got, the bigger the caramel malt and the smaller the hop odor that comes off.

T - wow a big attack of bitter and piney hops comes over and just destroys the tongue. however, there is a nice sweetness that comes in with a caramel taste that helps to save you from being unbalanced. I think that this hint of sweetness is what makes this beer so great. It keeps the hops from being unbalanced while still allowing you a slap in the face. Rough grapefruit after taste sits on the tongue leaving you with a bitterness. Another thing that makes this one awesome is that every sip brings something different. Some times the beer is almost sweet and toffee like while other times it is pure hops punishing you for dreaming this one could be sweat.

MF - A small amount of carbonation but a rather bready feel. Not as thick as the on tap that I had but still is there. For the amount of hops, this is actually rather smooth and only feel like i'm gona pucker up and ask for no more near the end where the hops just sit on the tongue. As you are drinking it though, nice and creamy actually.

D - an awesome beer from Surly. A real hop heads dream that sitll manages to stay tasty and not overpowering. They do a great job of keeping it balanced with the malt. I can't wait to get some more of this and have another. Also at only 6.2% you can afford to have a couple without getting destroyed.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice looking mostly-clear copper beer with a nice finger of tan head that dissolves fairly slowly and leaves a solid bit of lacing in its wake. Nose is delicious, fairly drying hops but then hits of fruit in there as well. I've heard they throw a ton of varieties in here, and the aromas follow through with that. A good bit of caramel hops too. Flavor is fairly drying, piney hops up front. Some darker toffeeish malt, and then some weird fruitiness, maybe dried fruit, pomegranate. Interesting as hell. Certainly dominated by those hops, but incredibly complex. Feel is nice and full, with perfect carbonation. Had this one along with the Masala Mama this week, and they were both absolutely excellent. Can't believe it comes in a can. Wish these'd show up out East.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

A- perfect 2 finger head into pint glass. hazy orange color with small sediment in suspension. nice cap and lacing after a few visits to the glass.

S- super fresh grapefruit, super hoppy, beautiful pine, pear.

T- very nice piny grapefruit with a honey like malt base. Super dry hop citrus finish.

M- Low carb lets the taste do all of the talking. The dry finish is amazing.

D- this a very.. very good beer, and despite the higher ABV, I will drink this OFTEN!!

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Special thanks to "Turbine2475" for this brew.

Poured into my globe glass a cloudy dark orange color, thick off white head settles somewhat quickly, leaving lots of lacing in its wake. Aroma is tilted towards the piney side of the hop chart, along with notes of dried fruit. Very Hoppy. Lots of citrus flavor notes. Mouthfeel is really big, chewy, resiny. A Very drinkable brew that i've been looking to try for a while. I've strayed away from really hoppy brews recently, but this makes me say "it's good to be back.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Big thanks to Lordsloth for throwing this in the Virgin BIF!

Very murky pour that seems loaded with yeast particles... Fairly small head as well...

Wonderful aroma of piney/citrus hops that is really juicy smelling... Extremely hoppy smell..

Hmmm... Well, it is a hop bomb, I will give it that. Extremely bitter and hoppy... Not sure in a good way though. Its just so dang unbalanced that I'm honestly a little disappointed. While this is probably the best smelling IPA I've ever had, its probably not even in the top 5 of tastes.. Its just too one dimensional..

I can finally say I have tried the great Furious! I'm glad I got the opportunity although I doubt I would buy this over several others that come to mind.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

This was an extra from Mully. Thanks!

Poured cloudy amber with a thick off white head into my Short's pint glass. Tons of lace left.

Smell: Faint scent of resiny pine and grass.

Taste: Bitter as hell. Orange, grapefruit, spruce, and bready, toasted malts. Mild carbonation, crisp finish.

Impressive but I don't think I'd want more than one every now and then.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

16 oz can, undated poured into a pint glass

A - Pours very thick. Looks very solid. Lots of haze and color in this thing. A very dark color, with a shade of red similar to the can. Carbonation shows soldily throughout the pour, with a small head remaining.

S - Oh boy the hops hit hard on this one. Very citrusy and grapefruity type smell leads the way here. Almost has a wet hop character to it.

T - Starts with the sharp bitterness, which then transitions slowly to the citrus notes followed up with a malty backbone. The end seems more sweet, but that could be the hops fooling my tongue.

M - Like the look, it feels thick on the tongue. Very solid. Makes it feel a bit filling down below.

D - It rolls easy from drink to drink, but not something I can slam. I like the flavor, but the hops might become tiresome before a session is over.

Good beer - I do like it. Reminds me of Mojo from Boulder. Mn folks may call this blasphemy, but I'm not extremely enamored, and therefore wouldn't seek it out very often.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a snifter. Furious pours a really murky burnt sienna color with a nice thick frothy off-white head. Outstanding head retention, which leads to good lacing. Wonderful sweet citrus aromas with a hint of spruce needles. High alpha hops, I am thinking Centennial, control the palate with bitter citrus flavors with some evergreen tones. The sweet malts balance out the bitterness perfectly. Mild carbonation with a smooth and clean backbone. Very complex palate. Nice and crisp with a dry finish. Very nice drinking IPA. I can see why Surly is becoming a big name in the craft beer market.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to tytoanderso & maxximum12 for a chance to try this one out! Poured form can into a sam perfect pint. light brown/red color with a creamy white full head. Head was a good 2" and lasted for a few minutes. I was dying to get into this one, but had to wait!! Smells of light citrus hops with some pine y hop to follow. Wonderful hop aroma- right up there with the West Coast beers. First taste- de-lish! I was expecting a hop infusion, but it was a bit mellower, with a wonderful malt balance finish. this one did not burn my taste buds (which i definitely do not mind, being a hop head) Nice consistent medium bodied mouthfeel. Not overly slick or bitter. WOnderfully drinkable- I am extremly pleased it is a 16oz can, not 12!

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Junnila for the oppurtunity to try this beer.
A - Pours a milky brown with a dense vanilla head that disipates into nothingness leaving a thick lace.
S - Sweet hops, grapefruit, milk thistle, pine all come to mind here.
T - A plesent hop bitterness that doesn't stop. Heavy floral hops with some hints of sweet citrus. Very nice.
M - Slightly milky with good carbonation and a coating that leaves that familiar bitter hop aftertase but in no way was it offensive.
D - A great beer that I wish was avaliable in my neck of the woods. Definately a high quality hop bomb that I never would have expected to come from a can.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

After all the extremely overbearing hype here, I was finally able to try the Surly Furious on tap at the Blue Nile in Minneapolis.

It poured a nice deep copper, cloudy, with minimal head. Looked pretty decent.

The aroma was... well hell, it's an IPA. What do you expect to be in the aroma? This was hops. And hops. And more hops. Oh, and some hops. There was a hint of malt sweetness at one point, followed by some hops. Did I mention hops? This one has a citursy hop zing that alomst but not quite burns your nose. Very unashamedly upfront about the hoppiness.

The first thing that hits you upon taking a sip is the serious bitterness, followed by a full cirtusy, flowery hop flavor. Oddly, the floral flavor seems to get bigger in your mouth even after you've swallowed the sip. it keeps growing and growing, making you think you may never taste anything else ever again before finally breaking and letting a bit of malt shine through for a well-short-of-balancing sweetness. The sip finally fades away with a combination of sweet malt and floral citurs hop flavors. This is definitely a hop foward beer, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The mouthfeel is a tad thinnish, but that's probably a good thing, as anything thicker in a beer like this would be tough to drink. As it is, it works.

This is nicely done! I can't get into the whole "Omigod, I had a Surly and now I have to change undies! Must post Surly information on BA every 30 seconds!" overhype, but there's a reason these brews are pushed by their consumers as much as they are. They are quite good. This one is well worth seeking out if you're anywhere near their distribution area.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

In sampler glass at the 1st annual Firkin Fest at the Happy Gnome.

It pours a beautiful deep amber with a fleeting though thick and cream-colored head. Absolutely gorgeous beer.

Subtle hoppy smell, citrus fruits, some pine, quite floral and very delicate and complex.

Exceptional taste. The tea and the ipa flavors blend perfectly. The tea is ever-present but not dominant and not too subtle. White tea perhaps? The hoppiness is refreshing and more subdued than in regular furious. The alcohol is not even noticeable.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Incredibly smooth, medium-bodied beer that goes down easily and joyfully. a slight clinginess with the hops providing a subtle compliment to the smoothness and body.

One of the most drinkable IPAs I have ever had, or any beer for that matter. So smooth, so delectable, I could drink this all day long and any day. Just a supremely-crafted beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got a 3 oz. pour at the First Annual Firkin Fest at The Happy Gnome 2008. Golden Red, slightly cloudy body with nice foamy head. Smells strongly of citrus hops. IF - nicely balanced hops and slightly sweet malt. Grapefruit and other citrus flavors come through in the dominantly hoppy aftertaste. Not sure about tea. I am guessing this means dry-hopped. Nice and hoppy. Medium to full bodied with smooth finish. Very tatsy and awesome to get on cask. Notably different from the normal Furious, more smooth and slightly better balance. Both are great.

3.42/5  rDev -20.6%

bottle courtesy of Tytoanderso
Pours a rich maroon color with a huge fluffy beige head that lasts and lasts. Smell is big on hops and a red ale like malt backing. Kind of reminds me of either Bear Republic Red Rocket or Hop Rod Rye. Very fresh smelling. Dark rich caramelly piney hops flavor with a strong hop bitterness that coats the mouth. I really want a touch more malt in this one, and the body is a touch thin. Some medicinal grassy, aspirin like bitterness that will satisfy hopheads, but it was a bit too much or perhaps slightly unbalanced for me. Still can appreciate it as a well done strong IPA. Thanks Tyler!

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a hazy, mild brown with a soft white head. A great caramelly hop aroma is followed by a slightly bitter, creamy taste when it hits your lips. It finishes with both sweet and sour notes and leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. It's definitely among the best canned beers I've ever had.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours with an off white head that stays a good two fingers thick for most of the brew. Nice amounts of lace mark the glass. Very good looking hazy brownish orange color.

Smells of hops!, citric, grapefruity, resiny hops! oh and there's some caramel malt some where in the midst of all those hop aromas.

This is one hell of a tasty drinkable beer. Damn Scott only sent me one whats up with that? (jk, I wouldn't want to give any up). The hops lead the charge all the way through, citrus, grapefruit, pine and a strong malt presence to try and stop the onslaught of the hops but to no avail. What the hell just happend to me?

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Dark orange fading up to brown toward the top, meeting with an off-white head. Smells of pine, biscuit and some floral notes. Tastes very West Coast, hop forward, a tad intense. The citrus quickly gives way to pine before opening up to a peppery accompaniment to sweet malt. A piney resin remains on the tongue with a teensy bit of toasted oat. Fairly well balanced, even considering the initial onslaught. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full bodied, though perhaps not so shocking when taking into account the thickness of the Bender I had the prior eve. Very rich, wouldn't pick this as a warm weather quencher, but its lovely for a cold day watching hockey. I enjoy it, but the Furious assault of hops is wearing out my tongue, a little heavy for not being a dipa. Still nice and warming, and again, well balanced. Big thanks to mully for the can. I'm quite happy to have another waiting in the fridge.

The Scene:

We were going to a show in downtown Mpls & stopped into MacKenzie's for a beer. We asked the bartender to give us something good - he asked, "Every heard of Surly?"

We drank. I almost wept.

Before the Furious experience I'd been dabbling in craft beers, but still spent most of my time with solid old-timers like Sam Adams & Summit. Furious literally changed my beer life. I'd never tasted its like before. After the show we went back for more. My wife liked it as well as I did. Goodbye, Mr. Adams (not that there's anything wrong with Sam Adams, still a respectable beer, especially in places that haven't heard of craft beer!).

It's been in the fridge ever since. It is, and has been since my first taste, my favorite available year-round beer. I hope to find something better someday.

Plenty's been written about Furious - the intense hops, pale orangish color. I love the pinish knocking on the back of the throat, & the all-out hop assault on all quarters of the mouth. My belly feels warm already. I'll savor this one for a good hour.

I love this beer!

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from can into imperial pint glass.
A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with nice thick creamy white head.
S: Aroma is dead-on fresh passion fruit...craziness. Hint of hops, but nothing compared to the taste.
T: Holy hops, Batman! The hops hit hard first...citrus hops. Then a definite pine note comes through...amazing. Intermingling are caramel, starfruit, and just a hint of toffee which comes through after a few quaffs calms the hop note down.
M: Very complex and wonderful feel on the tongue.
D: Extraordinarily hoppy. For you hop-heads out there, this is the beer for you. Personally, I like a little less hops, so the drinkability for my taste takes a little hit here. Overall, an amazing beer...very complex in nature.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

Furious indeed...
Pour from 16 oz can to a wine glass. Pour is dark amber. Fully hazed. Fairly large tan head - super lacing.

Nose blows me away - hop soup. Northwest hops come out in full force.

Medium to light mouthfeel upfront - the hops assert quickly. A hint of tea, a blast of grapefruit, flower petals, intense bittering as it flows through. Wow, is this one (furiously) bitter beer. Finish just bites and bites and bites at you.

The malts remain present, although not in a big way and not driving mouthfeel, but still - the malt keeps the hop just in line....for a while.

Yeah, furious indeed.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 16oz can into an Imperial pint glass. Poured aggressively, resulting in a 2 finger head of rocky foam that lasts quite awhile. Cloudy and dark copper in color, it left great lacing on the glass. HUGE grapefruit nose initially that lasted throughout with a faint bready aroma. There is a pronounced fop flavor with lingering bitterness. A slight 'Tootsie Roll' taste in the background tries to balance out the prodigious hop flavor. The hop bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste. Medium in body, Furious is an outstanding beer that is hard to pick out flaws. I'll have another after I'm done writing and try to find some!

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a murky mahogany in color. Slightly tan head that slowly vanishes to a scattered film. Lace just coats the inside of the glass. Nose is full of dark malts and aromatic and pine hops.

Flavor has a solid, rich base of malts. They really hold up well even with all of the hops. Hops pack a wallop that really send the senses off kilter until I adjusted. Lots of pine and floral hops. Light but all the oils help thicken up the mouthfeel of this beer. Drinkable but my tongue is numbing after only one can.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Appears semi-hazy and opaque amber in my half-liter mug. Definitely not the palest IPA I've seen. The head retains very well.

Smell - Grapefruit, lemon and pine with a hint of caramel from the malts. Very aromatic stuff with a big hop presence.

Taste & mouthfeel - Lots of resiny pine flavor from the get-go. Biscuity, caramelly malt makes a brief appearance before being washed out by the powerful bittering hops. Very full-bodied; the malt backbone is big but semi-dry and doesn't get in the way of the impressive hop character. Despite the rather high IBU, this is really pleasant and drinkable stuff; and the hops, while strong, never border on astringent.

Notes - Awesome stuff, one of the best IPAs I've ever had. This IPA can easily rival the best from California.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

16oz can received in trade from mully .. very nice trade if I do say so.. I must try the Raspberry Eisbocks sometime soon.. Tonight Steven and I are sampling the final Furious... Cheers Matt Thanks a bunch... Mine poured into my New Belgium Snifter.

Long lasting pillowy head.. good lacing atop a very hazy amber brew.... Is Furious "Can-conditioned"?

Aroma is big sprucy pine.. quite a bit of caramel and a whaff or two of chocolate. But no doubt this is a very hoppy IPA. A big pale malt component.

Flavor is huge bitter backbone out of the gate.. melds into hoppy spicy and piney/citrus hoppy notes.. good caramel mid palate .. sorta oily hoppiness lingers .. fairly dry finish. Piney and grapefruity.. touches of toffee.. and again a little chocolate. Great body and abundant carbonation. Hugely complex and satisfying.

A complete IPA even for a West Coast palate.. I prefer a little malt with my hops and Furious delivers.

Thanks to mully and again hit me up any time.. I want the Surly.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company