Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,494
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
Reviews: 1,423 | Hads: 4,918
3.4/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this beer 2 months after the canned date. Seems like a very malt forward beer. I won't spend my review criticizing it because I love this brewery. It's just not for me. (176 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Dude hooked me up with two in a row. Solid man! Great trade!

Appearance: Beautiful clear reddish copper colored with a head that lingers pretty well through the pour.

Aroma: Tropical candied fruits, mango, papaya, some stone fruits as well, nice aromas.

Taste: Totally balanced, there is some bitterness going on but the tropical and stone fruits come through, I don't detect much in regard to the bittering profile but there is some there. Very well balanced. Reminds me of Nugget Nectar, but better.

Overall: Very nicely done beer. Happy to have received it on trade! (573 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned 12/23/15 . Dark copper, off white foam. Nice nose, oily pine. Bitter hit, then orange peel and pine. Finshing citrus peel. Grapfuit, sory of oily peel finishing after 3rd swallow. Hint of sweet? Hope taste and aroma is great. Not overwhelming but for sure there. Hopheads will really enjoy. I echo earlier sentiments, really smooth. (339 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Tap pour into a pint glass.

Amber in color with an almost cloudy look.

Crisp smelling, really smells like a "Hey, you really want to drink me" beer.

Hoppy taste with full flavor. Has a hint of bitter but goes down easy.

Not a fan of it in the can but very flavor full on tap. (287 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As a Wisconsinite, I only get the treat of drinking this when I visit friends in Minneapolis. Usually, I bring a 4 pack of Furious home to share with friends.

16 Oz can poured into a pint glass.

Pours deep amber, when held in light there is a slightly cloudy consistency. Thick head. Good lacing
Smells fantastic, reeks of citrus with a hint of pine, incredibly inviting aroma.
Super piney up front, citrus comes into play in the back. Im thinking blood oranges.
Perfect carbonation, medium bodied
Goes down smooth, too smooth, in fact it is easy to drink this one a bit fast. The aftertaste is my favorite part of this beer, it leaves me with a mixture of orange and pine needles in the back of my mouth. Overall I would say this is my poster child for what I want my IPA to taste like. (792 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

The name says it all here - this is a hop heavy, deep amber IPA that amps up the IBUs whilst maintaining a malt backbone that keeps something of a balance here. But let’s be honest - balance is not what you are looking for here. Some sweetness on the back end that does its’ best to level out the bitterness. (312 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft

A - Lovely crimson/amber body. Head is fizzy and fairly thin.

S - Strong citrus aroma - a mix of tangerine, lime, orange,and grapefruit.

T - The citrus onslaught continues, but heavier on the orange than the nose. The malt is a delightful mix of sweet but dry. A good mix of darker caramel and specialty malts keeps things interesting. The finish is bitter with lingering citrus and caramel sweetness.

M - Despite the dry finish, a very creamy mouthfeel.

O - Great IPA. Unique takes on the color, mouthfeel, and malt with exceptional use of citrus hops. (572 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Amber/red in color. Finger off white head. Head is rocky, with fairly rapid dissipation. Carbonation is minimal, with miniscule bubbles rising to the surface. Moderate lacing.

S: Smells like juice. Seriously. Juicy fruitiness erupts from the glass. Pine and woodiness underneath, with a layer of caramelized sugar.

T: Big smack of pine bitterness up front. Immediately transitions to a fruity explosion in the mid mouth. Darkened fruit, tropical fruit with a woody, herbal element. Finishes incredibly dry, with a chalky, mint and citrus finish. Pretty damn bitter on the back end.

M: Light in the mouth and crisp, but still manages a bit of weight in the mouthfeel.

O: Very unique. This is the most unique take on the style I've had since Oak Aged Jai Alai. (788 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - It pours a coppery brown. About a fingers width of off white head. The head lingers for quite some time. When it dissipates it falls into, leaving a thin ring around the edge. A slight amount of lacing clings to the glass. Very enticing.

S - A small amount of citrus. Some malt. Caramel/toffee rounds it out.

T - A slight citrus with a lot of pine. High bitterness to follow in the end. A bit of malt backbone present as well. Bitterness remains present for some time. Very nice.

F - Mouthfeel is very nice. Spot on for the still.

O - Definitely a great IPA. Happy to have finally tried it. One the best IPA's I've had in a long time. Seek it out. (656 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10%

16oz can, kept at fridge temp (~40F) poured into hefeweizen glass. Can is dated 7/29/2014, consumed on 9/23/2014

Appearance:

A moderate-hefty pour produces a one finger head that settles down to a thin layer of foam, somewhat sticky lacing. Color is a very dark and lovely orange with some red.

Smell:

Despite the name, the smell is very sweet, with citrus dominating, with maybe some pine, and something floral in there as well. Sweet malts are definitely there too, poised to surprise.

Taste:

I've been drinking a lot of IPA's lately, so my palate probably isn't picking up as much of the bitterness as someone with more sensitive tastebuds.

Again Surly surprises us, as the malt "backbone" actually ends up playing a pretty big role here. My taste isn't as refined as many people on here, but it kind of reminds me of an oktoberfest/Marzen. Don't worry, that's a good thing.

As for the hops, bitter pine takes the forefront here with sweet citrus backing it up. Sometimes the taste ends with a bitter pine stickiness, other times it ends with more of the malty flavor I talked about earlier.

Feel:

Prickly carbonation complements the bitterness of the hops appropriately. Thickness is medium, with a bit of stickiness from the hops. which is expected for an IPA.

Overall:

Despite its name and bizarre packaging, Surly's Furious is a surprisingly balanced and enjoyable IPA that stands up to the hop bombs characterized by the West Coast. I'm proud this comes from my home state, and I feel this exemplifies everything a Minnesota IPA should be: hearty and balanced. Surly hasn't forgotten that the malt is equally as important as the hops.

addendum: Right after publishing my review, I realized that I was speaking too much from the perspective of an IPA guzzling hop-head. I should note that for those who are just starting out in craft beer or IPAs in particular, this beer with around 100 IBUS is still extremely bitter despite its "balance". (1,965 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

My exception for American IPAs. Nice, sweeter, with less carbonation then other beers. Good flavors of citrus or grapefruit. There is a little touch of bitter aftertaste.

A local brew for me, and I'm glad they are getting more national buzz. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. (289 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

From notes on 3/29/14

Dark golden semi cloudy body. One inch creamy head. Very hoppy wonderful aroma. Holy bitterness. I’ve had beers more than 100 IBUs, but this seems so much more bitter. Very tasty. Great lemony flavors. Finally found a Surly beer and really enjoy it. Can’t wait to try my Abrasive soon. (312 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 7/17/14 and poured 9/8/14. Price interestingly enough isn't on the can like the others one I got from Four Firkins. I'd guess maybe $4 for a single can wouldn't be far off.

Appearance: Semi-aggressive pour gives the darkest looking single IPA I think I've ever seen. A copper brown color with some orange tints. There are also a lot of "floaters" in the glass. The head is sand colored and bout a finger in height, and there is a little bit of initial sticky lacing. Looks pretty nice. (4.25/5)

Smell: Wow that is a malty sweet smelling IPA, yet it's coupled with insane amounts of hops. Man. Tropical fruits and citrus galore in this beer with maybe a slight floral character. This was canned about two months ago but the strength of the hop aroma coming from Furious wouldn't suggest that at all. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: I'm assuming it's the choice of hops in this beer, but there's something different about this beer as opposed to many others in the style. I get a really nice malt flavor on the front, but without a lot of sweetness -- hops immediately take over and the beer's bitter from then on. Loads of every tropical fruit ever (except durian... is that considered tropical?) with citrus, pine resin, and a little floral notes as well coming through. Aftertaste is a bit "sticky" from the hops, quite bitter, and with a little lingering malt flavor. Rinse and repeat. This beer is packing an impressive amount of flavor even at "just" 6.2%. The body is about medium with a fairly high, prickly carbonation. It seems weird, because this beer feels like it could easily be a DIPA, but considering the ABV, it works well. (4.5/5, 4/5)

I'd've LOVED to find Abrasive when I was in Minneapolis so I could compare the two, but I guess it's not out right now. Hopefully next time. Furious is a great beer that's appropriately named. This is an IPA that's in your face with the hops... but it remains somewhat balanced. Sure, it's bitter and hoppy as hell, but Surly surely didn't forget the malts. This drinks like a world-class DIPA for the most part, but it's actually a single IPA... that makes it all the more impressive.

TL;DR: The flavor of a DIPA with the alcohol of a SIPA. Must-buy. (2,207 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber with a big rocky head. Aroma of orange, grapefruit, biscuits, and caramel. Tastes of citrus, bread, pine, caramel. Very hoppy, but strong malt presence. Sweetness balances the hop bitterness nicely. I like a malty IPA, and this is right up my alley. The malt and hops elevate each other, though the hops are still the star of the show. If this were in my distro area, it would be my go-to beer. (406 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Pint can at cooler temp poured into a shake pint glass. Canned 07/30/2014.

Pours clear brown amber, small head, not a whole lot of carbonation. Smell is surprisingly muted, mostly flowers and pine.

Taste is dominated by pine. Some mild flowery sweetness, but plenty of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is nice. Smooth, medium body, slightly slick. Overall, very good. I like it. (370 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Finally after long last my FIRST Surly beer,thanks Erik.Pours a deep burnt orange color with a full half finger slight off white head that leaves a few broken rings of lace as it settles.Hop oils really jump out at ya in the aromas just resiny and sharp goodness,sweetish caramel malts stand out as well.Resiny and with sharp grapefruit rind hops up front on the palate,alot of sharpness,followed by some nuttiness and quite sweet caramel malts.It is a big hop machine,sharp and bitter,I love the hops and really like this beer. (528 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark amber colored with great clarity. A fingernail of white foam covers the majority of the top of the beer. Brussels lacing. The aroma is solely comprised of citrus hops. The citrus hop flavor is prominent but is nicely balanced with light malt. There's nice long bitter citrus hop fade that beckons you to take another sip. The mouth is fairly smooth and light for all of that flavor. Dangerously drinkable.
Appearance: 4.25
Aroma: 4.25
Taste: 4.5
Mouthfeel:4.5
Overall: 4.25 (483 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can. Deep amber color, decent head and lacing. Smell is tropical and matches a nice hop flavor. Its more malty than most of the other top IPAs, but it works. I've had this several times in the past and have been unimpressed I think due to age where the malt took over. A recent pursuit to get a much fresher can (1 month, still could do better) has yielded solid results. (385 characters)

Aroma is floral hops, pine and a hint of candy/sugar. The flavor is citrus, relatively light grapefruit, malts, mild hop resin and a long and very bitter/dry finish. (166 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally had the chance to try this beer on tap while visiting Chicago.

A- I've never seen an IPA that has a cloudy orange/amber color. I think the color works and makes the beer more appealing. Has a thin off white head.

S- Honestly I was talking to someone while drinking the beer and hardly notice the smell. I can say that the smell had a slight citrus smell and the hops seemed reserved in terms of aroma.

T- I found this IPA to have a sweet malt backbone that was balanced by just enough hops. Again some mild citrus/orange flavors that made me think there must be some Citra and Amarillo hops being used. The strong malt backbone could have allowed for a little higher IBU hop profile but the balance seems to work well for this beer.

M- This beer is highly drinkable. The balance and lower carbonation allows for a smooth beer that is easily chugged if you desire. I think I drank a pint in less than 10 minutes and it was gone before I knew it.

O- I highly recommend this beer if you have a chance to have it on tap. Not my favorite IPA but better than 95% of the IPAs out there. (1,094 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving: On tap, 4oz sampler
Served: 6 August 2014

Appearance: Darker than most IPAs I've seen- it looks almost amber brown in color. Decent head, even in the sampler glass, and incredibly leaves some lacing too. This would be one pretty looking pint I'm sure.

Smell: Soft musky citrus hop notes along with an evident maltiness.

Taste: Another great malt-driven IPA. The malt backbone here is a bit bigger than most other highly rated IPAs, but I find that it really lets the hops shine. The malts carry the hops on a bed of malty sweetness to add some nice depth to the overall experience and help balance the bitterness from the hops. Finishes semi-dry.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbonation and a fantastic backbone.

Overall: An excellent IPA, and a must-try. (762 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Brought home in my luggage from a business trip to Minneapolis. Cannon on 6/25/14. This beer was five weeks old. Poured into a nonic pint.

The first one goes down fast – be careful. I am a big surly fan and this beer does not disappoint. 4.5

A – Pours a reddish amber with a two-finger mousy head, clear, retains a good head throughout. 4.5

S – Sweet sweet knock-out roses, very flora, maybe some grapefruit. 4.75

T – A combination of fruity, resinous with sweet malt, very balanced for an American IPA, but finishes with the pine and resin. 4.25

MF – Medium body with a dry finish. 4.25 (603 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(on tap at Local Option - served in British pint, I think - can't quite recall)

A: (dry-hopped) cloudy, dark amber liquid... slimy foam that leaves some nice rings of lace

S: Amarillo hops, English yeast?... pine, stewed pear, apple... golden raisin?...

T: bitterness a lil grassy, pesky bite... little alcohol... malt only in the background, light caramel... mostly resiny hops here, somewhat grapefruity, a little peppery... rounded edges, overall dry finish

M: soft, dull-foamy, flat-ish... very easy to knock back quick

O: the bartender's reaction may have said it all: "but that's only a regular IPA... that's all you want?" - haha... never had it before, so yeah! - ended up having 3-4 other beers as well... it's a decent American IPA for sure... having used Amarillo once or twice in recent homebrews, I can smell this damn hop whenever I come across it now, and I dig it - it's distinct, not bright and citrusy, a bit more dank and overripe... glad I was able to try this, disappointed not finding Coffee Bender anywhere though (1,042 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Transparent reddish orange-copper, with a hint of gold, and a off-white head that pours short and fades quick, but laces expansively.

S - Pow! Punches the nose with a big hit of pine and grapefruit citrus hop elements, with slight sweet honey and floral notes.

T - Follows the nose, but with a strong malty component that mellows out the bitter thread in the close.

M - Hop resin coats, but decent carbonation scrubs some of it off. But there is a moderate build.

O - Solid hop bomb, with some nice malt to offer a counterpoint. We don't get balance - the bitterness is present and builds - but the fruit and pine work very well and the beer is delicious. (663 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured a brownish orange, like dark amber maple syrup. I smell faint hops and malt. A nice solid head on this one, and good lacing. Tastes of mild fruit, though none of note, and some pine, as well as caramel malt. Well balanced, with the malts and bitters in check. Glad I got to try it through a trade. (304 characters)

Furious from Surly Brewing Company