Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Coffee BenderCoffee Bender

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006)
Reviews by Purp1eOne:

Schlais

11-25-2011 04:45:43 | More by Schlais
weatherdog

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

16oz can poured into a nonic pint glass.

It pours a semi transparent brown cola color with minimal tan head. The smell is just smooth black coffee, not r=a lot of roastiness and no detectable bitterness, like an ice coffee made from a french press. Really pleasing and inviting. The taste is just the same. I think I've had french press ice coffee that tastes just like this. There is very little beer character in here which I think is what the brewer has intended. I haven't had the base beer but now I'm wishing I picked up some so I could compare. The absence of bitterness and high roastiness is what makes this beer unique and one of my favorite coffee flavored beers. I could put this in the office coffee pot and I doubt no one would be the wiser; although the day would be more interesting. Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery but that is my only complaint. I'm sad I only picked up a 4-pack of this from my MN trip.

02-03-2010 20:52:47 | More by weatherdog
TimothyRBrady

08-23-2014 16:07:02 | More by TimothyRBrady
blackearth

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased from Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville, MN. Pours a black body with ruby red corners and a big, pillowy tan head. Aroma is mostly coffee beans and also some chocolate and floral hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Flavor is tinny, grainy, dark roasted malts, with a good coffee flavor and bitterness from the coffee, which also intermingles with the hop bitterness. The relatively low alcohol content is a nice touch since this is so tastey that I had to grab a second one!

01-07-2010 19:21:14 | More by blackearth
newk340

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

a fantastic beer from a can, love the mantra "beer for a mug, from a can." certainly could have had this for breakfast in place of my typical cup of joe.

A: a very dark coffee stout, one finger head when poured from the can.

S: COFFEE!!

T: COFFEE!! absolutely no taste of alcohol, shocked by its resemblance to my favorite morning beverage.

M/D: could easily replace a cup of coffee in the morning, nearly no carbonation, smooth feel down the throat.

06-30-2010 03:11:41 | More by newk340
orbitalr0x

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Arrives in a snifter glass with a nice dark brown color and a big creamy light tan head on top. As the head falls the aromas come out of the brew with a wonderful fresh pressed coffee that mingles with a malty, slightly roasty nuttiness as well. The cold pressed coffee comes out the most with a touch of hops in the background.

First sip brings the same big, fresh pressed coffee flavors upfront that meld in wonderfully with the nutty, rich malty flavors in the brew. Flows down with some good bitterness with hints of chocolate and a touch of hops as well. Really robust flavor that keeps me coming back sip after sip. Coffee beer loves rejoice!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp and smooth. This is really an easy drinking coffee brew and very damn enjoyable if you ask me. I would have like to have ordered another but I had to run. One of my favorite Surly offerings from fests and I'm glad to see it on tap in my area.

10-23-2008 02:00:21 | More by orbitalr0x

08-16-2014 19:47:34 | More by aquazr1
badbeer

Iowa

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured out black with a nice head that retained well. Smell was of old coffee, maybe a little cream to the nose as well; wasn't good. Taste was full of old and not enjoyable coffee. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and medium carbonation levels. Drinkability is not good. I didn't even finish my first glass of it. Surly makes good beer, but this was disappointing. Give me the regular Bender.

12-28-2007 05:48:44 | More by badbeer
badmoon

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in a tulip from a bottle.

A: Black. Just like good coffee. Very little head and next to no lacing.

S: COFFEE! What else should I say here? Rich coffee aroma.

T: Again, COFFEE! Awesome! This may be my all time favorite beer. OMG!

M: Full. I love it! Just like drinking an iced coffee.

D: Drink one and stop. Please don't attempt to be a hero.

Overall: Awesome beer. Try it and savor it. It is truly unique!

04-18-2009 06:08:14 | More by badmoon
Mora2000

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this can.

Pours dark brown with a tan head. The aroma is straight coffee with nothing else coming through. The flavor is coffee with some roasted malts. There is a nice bitterness at the end, either from the coffee or from hops. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. One of the best, most interesting brown ales I have tried.

02-10-2010 17:21:25 | More by Mora2000
Grafter

Kentucky

Poured into a goblet

Appearance is a dark brown with a small tan head that forms on top

Smell is very much of coffee beans a malt just like promised

Taste is where this really pens up the malty sweetness of the brown ale almost acts as sugar for the coffee balancing to a very nice beer the coffee flavor is very dominant but not quite overpowering

Mouthfeel is good medium body and carbonation fits well with the style of the beer

Drinkablity is high if you like coffee for me the strong coffee flavor will wear me down a little but this is still a nice drinkable beer.

I really enjoyed this, and is I every turn into a raging alcoholic and need to start my morning off right this is definitely the beer I would go to.

04-25-2009 23:58:38 | More by Grafter
thaghost

06-21-2013 00:54:26 | More by thaghost
bsp77

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Very dark brown with a reddish tint. Nice cream colored head and decent lacing.

Smell: Espresso beans, dark chocolate and caramel.

Taste: Mix of semi-sweet coffee and chocolate, with some caramel and nuts just barely making an appearance. Lingering bitter coffee and American hops at the finish that seem almost too harsh in comparison to the initial balance and smoothness.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, almost too thin for a Coffee Ale but very smooth.

Drinkability: Nice, fairly easy to drink Coffee Ale, but I prefer the complexity of the standard Bender. Also, not quite in the same league as Founders Breakfast Stout and Bell's Java Stout, but very good nonetheless.

02-05-2010 02:00:13 | More by bsp77