Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.
Reviews: 792 | Hads: 2,315
4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

A. Extremely dark brown with only a hint of light showing through. Nice deep tan foamy head that leaves a good deal of lacing. Bubbles on the bottom.

S. Beautiful toffee scent.

T. Not an overpowering coffee ale. Very nice. Mild coffee taste. Some chocolate kick. A vegetable taste.

M. A burnt aftertaste.

O. Well blended and balanced. Very nicely done. (357 characters)

Review adapted from notes taken 7/22/11

Appearance: Dark brown with some clarity around the edges - a little beige head, nice lacing, nice retention - looks more or less the same as Bender

Smell: According to my notes, "magic" - freshly roasted coffee beans - an overwhelming aroma of coffee, and it's a really delicious-smelling coffee - underneath the coffee, there's some burnt, and some more roast - sweet, cooked malts, some creaminess - honestly reminds me of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz ice cream...

Taste: As the aroma would suggest, this has a ton of coffee - fresh, glorious coffee - very roasted but really not burnt - some hints of chocolate - malts impart a nice amount of sweetness, breadiness - the coffee definitely overpowers some of the subtleties of Bender, but it works surprisingly well

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, could definitely be heavier, smooth, nicely carbonated

Overall: Just about the best coffee beer ever

I've criticized some coffee beers in the past for being more like coffee than beer, and I must admit that Coffee Bender is very close to that line. Yet somehow I love this beer. I think a major reason is that I really love the coffee that they used. (1,203 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from pint can into pint glass.

Nearly two fingers of creamy, tan head, that fizzles. Pretty dark, not pitch black but the body of a cola.

The aroma is of rich coffee, decadent coffee with faint nuttiness, lovely cocoa, and the smallest smidgen of licorice -- the smallest, I swear. This ale smells effin' incredible. So lovely.

First sip is creamy, cool coffee with rich chocolate notes, and a lingering bitterness you would expect from a cup of black coffee. Has a slight tartness to it, which doesn't detract from the beer at all. Head just won't dissipate!!! Solid brown ale underneath, really giving it that perfect toastiness, faint mocha and toffee taste. Slight alcohol finish, though, not unpleasing. Vanilla qualities start coming through as it warms.

Mouthfeel is initially velvety, which thins out nicely as the bitter, medium carbonation starts to break things up. Thinner than a stout, more of a porter body, heavier brown. Nice chewy. The perfect drinkability for this type of beer: not super sippable due to its weight but, rather, a great beer to enjoy in a 30-minute sitting.

Overall, this beer is remarkable. The best coffee aroma in a beer I've ever had. It just brings you in. And it never lets up. And it's in a pint can. It's a big juicy coffee beer, as good as they come. Take your time on this one to fully enjoy the coffee bean blast that is Coffee Bender. It awakens fully with time.

I recommend you trade for this if it's not in your area, as I did.

Thanks again, Dan Turnbull (Tballz420) for the batch of Surly.

Also, don't try to compare this to a stout or porter because it's just not. You're doing yourself a disservice with those expectations. (1,693 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

My third Surly. Big thanks to chewy08rx.

Love the crack of the can.

Pours a brownish black in color. Look is clean and not deep enough to be impervious to light. Holds a thin finger of brown foam with decent lacing and relatively high carbonation. This looks super tasty.

Aroma is like a slap in the face. Huge burst of fresh espresso (amazingly authentic) with a slight hint of cream. This smells like a big foamy cappuccino and the roasted bean scent is perfect.

Upon first sip, your mouth is immediately hit with a strong blast of dark roast bitterness, leaving behind a wonderful dryness that you'd expect from a great shot of espresso. I can feel it warming my body and waking me up at the same time. Follow up sips provide a nice dose of cream, some light caramel and one packet of sugar (the real deal... no Splenda). This beer perfectly provides the coffee drinking experience.

It's also low enough in the ABV to sip morning noon and night and the fact that it's secretly still a wonderful brown ale under all that coffee makes it uber drinkable. (1,059 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

On-tap at Cafe Twenty-Eight.

a - pours a hazy deep brown with a one-inch tan head, great retention and lacing, props to Surly for one of the coolest mugs/glasses I've ever seen - a 12oz. mug with the words "It's never too early to get Surly" on one side

s - deep roasted malt and some roasted nuts complement the big dark roast coffee aroma, hints of dark chocolate as well, not much alcohol evident

t - moderately sweet up front with roasted malt, nut and dark chocolate flavors, mid-palate and finish has a prominent coffee flavor that's mildly bitter, hints of hoppy citrus peak through, alcohol is virtually invisible

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, slightly bitter finish, not much alcohol warming

d - extremely drinkable, a true sessionable coffee beer if I've ever had one, very easy drinking but complex and interesting at the same time

Great beer overall and yet another star in Surly's lineup. (918 characters)

Live review.
Big thanks to badnewsbeers for including this want in our trade.

Poured into my Duvel tulip. Looked nearly black, but in actuality is a deep cherry-hued mahogany. Short tapioca colored head that was retained throughout the entire glass. Lace is a little spotty, but otherwise an impressive appearance.

The smell was a little weaker than I had anticipated. That said, this beer certainly doesn't try to hide the precious coffee within. Fresh whole beans mingle with a little of the acidity of brewed coffee. There's also a little roastiness in there, but otherwise I was wishing for more malt character.

The first sip will blow you away with coffee. It's a veritable shot gun blast of coffee beans, wet grounds, and creamily smooth iced coffee. The malt is heavy as well - full of bitter roast and char. A light chocolate sweetness finishes off the flavor. This is easily one of the best tasting coffee beers I have ever had. At first thought, I think only FBS and maybe Peche Mortel can rival Coffee Bender.

The mouthfeel is also quite gripping. The Bender goes down smoothly and quickly, while the Coffee lends a bitter dryness as well as a bit of a grainy texture as well. It all adds up to create a very appropriate and appealing experience.

Overall, a wonderful beer. For my first real Surly review, I believe I may have set the bar a little high. And until I get my full bottle to review (soon), I can say that I'd even rather be drinking this over the Darkness I sampled a couple weeks ago.

Now I really want to try the regular Bender. I also find myself wishing that Surly would commission this recipe for a clone kit through Northern Brewer. While I don't like using kits anymore, I'd likely buy a Coffee Bender clone kit in a heartbeat. (1,765 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Pitch black with a huge carbonated head that is tan

S - Coffee and malt

T - Flavor is not full, but the coffee is very apparent. Almost thinner in flavor then a cup of coffee, but intertwined with very interesting malt flavoring. Perfect balance of coffee and roasted malt.

M - Medium-high in carbonation and medium in body. Mouthfeel is very thin

D - Low ABV, delicious flavor. Can't really fault this one except for the strangeness in the thin mouthfeel accompanied by the coffee flavor. Really interesting take on a brown ale with great results. (556 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours almost black with a hint of ruby showing as light peeks through, evincing a deep dark brown instead. Perfect two finger head is light tan and fluffy and doesn't want to go away. Coffee hits the nose first and strong - a full bodied dark roast. Some sweeter tones along the lines of milk chocolate creep up as well. Caramel malt hits up front followed by a tidal wave of iced coffee - unsullied by any frou frou frappawhathaveyou. Straight black and bitter. The substantial body of the brown ale underneath helps the flavors stick to the tongue, allowing nutty notes, toasted oat, tobacco, and a tinge of prune emerge from the added beans. The more i sip the more I notice the cherry and baker's chocolate I recall spotting in the regular Bender. Finishes acidic from the roast, masking a faint noble hop character. Slight lactic sweetness lingers as the bitter and acidic qualities play out. As a serious coffee fiend, I could drink this all day - though there's a bit of tongue fatigue to that lingering last note. Still, upgrade from an already good beer and a serious contender for top coffee brew.

Big ol' kudos to jjanega08 for the 4 pack. If only I could keep my s.o. from drinking the rest. (1,205 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Given to me by Newtonty, thanks man.

A: Pours java brown with a ¾ inch tan, foamy head. Lacing is thick on initial pour and looks like a step ladder going down the glass. Lacing is draped down the glass after finishing. 4.5

S: Coffee grounds heavy on the nose. The java smell came up fron the glass even before I was done pouring it. This coffee smells delicious.

M/T: A low medium mouth feel, a slight carbonation bite on the tongue on first drink. The coffee hits the pallet first, followed by some bitterness in the under tone. I can taste the fresh 45 ibus kicking in the background. Roasted malts are always present. This is still a light beer and the description on the back of the can saying this beer is like a "iced coffee", I would say is very accurate. You get the coffee flavor, but it is still refreshing. Finishes semi clean.

D: Nice and light. You forget your a drinking an alcoholic beverage after a few drinks. Very little to no lingering aftertaste. Very easy going beer, drink it till you can't sleep! Surly does not make a bad product. (1,062 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

16oz can poured into a shaker pint.

A - Pours a rich, dark brown with ruby highlights and a one-inch tan head.

S - Loads of coffee goodness waft out of the glass, along with brown malts, toffee, and licorice.

T - Bready malt, chocolate, plenty of coffee, and assertive hop bitterness. I really like this beer, but if you're not a coffee lover, you probably won't.

M - Medium body, pretty much what I'm looking for in a brown ale.

D - Superb. A sort of cousin to Peak Organic Espresso Amber. Sometimes it's nice to have a coffee beer without roasted malt and a huge body. Definitely worth a try. (599 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Looks black with a thin head and no activity.

S- Light coffee note but a very enjoyable nose.

T- Good coffee start not over powering, good malt back end. Just wonderful balance.

M- Nice thickness for the flavors and still.

D- Very easy and simple to drink not hard at all as some coffee beers can be. (315 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Dark brown, I can just barely see through it if I hold the glass up to the light, as deep ruby hues shine through. The head is medium thick, tan, leaving a hearty lace. The aroma is all coffee, no malt sweetness really, like a freshly roasted pot. I like it.

This thing tastes like a cold and carbonated cup of coffee really. I don't like coffee all that much, but for a beer this is great. The dry roasted bitterness is really pleasant with just enough malt backbone to balance things. The mouthfeel might seem a bit thin, but the rather sharp carbonation compensates for that nicely.

I must say this coffee-flavored beer is excellent. It's really nothing like the original Bender, but that is fine. This Packs alot of flavor into a really sessionable brew. Highly recommended... (784 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz. can purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, canned on 3/29/13, poured into a FFFs Teku long-stemmed glass, drank 6/11/13 over an hour.

A: 4.25 - dark brown-black coloration, minimal clarity (can't see or read through), yellow-brown one finger head quickly dissipates into subtle glass lacing, little alcohol legs

S: 4.5 - impressive Kona coffee notes predominate in the aroma; to be honest, I don't get much else in the nose but that's fine considering that that I was mostly looking big coffee notes

T: 4.75 - lots of black coffee bitterness on the front of the tongue, but, as it settles in, I pick up lots of iced coffee qualities with a slight residual sweetness; one of the most complex tasting coffee beers that I have tasted

M: 4.25 - light-to-medium bodied, moderate alcohol, very soft carbonation

O: 4.5 - another great beer from one of my favorite breweries; this is a wonderful blend of coffee and beer that settles into a really complex aroma and flavor profile that's as smooth as some of the best iced coffees; I find this beer really refreshing, and I cannot think of another coffee beer that fits this profile; well done as always, Surly! (1,173 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Many thanks to BuckeyeNation for the can. Been wanting to try it out for quite a while.

Coffee Bender's very dark, nut brown color. It's not hazy, but it is difficult to see through. A little backlighting reveals some ruby highlights. A light mocha colored head reaches about a finger deep. It took a while to completely dissipate, leaving sticky strands of lace clinging to the glass.

The nose is nothing short of excellent. Roasted coffee is very prominent. I'm an admitted coffee lover, but the aroma here isn't going to overwhelm a coffee avoider. There's actually a lot here to appease the masses. It is nice and malty. Toasted nut and a prailine-like aroma are secondary and smell delicious. There's a little chocolate or cocoa hovering in the background. A whiff of yeast on the tail wraps it up. This one hell of a deep and delicious smelling Brown Ale.

This is fantastic beer. That much is evident from the first sip. Roasted coffee is strong and predominant. But, it's rounded out nicely with a sweet, malty base. A little sweet chocolate and cocoa blend very well and perfectly complement the other flavors. I really like the nutty, prailine factor. It's something you don't really expect, but it's a delicious surprise. I recall liking that about Bender. Hops are noted, but are background music (although they play that role very well). It features a slight yeasty flavor on the tail. One hell of a tasty beer!

The body is medium and very, very smooth. Carbonation is very well restrained and contributes much to its lush feel. I'm not sure you could find a more drinkable beer. This stuff is downright delicious and goes down so smooth and easy. Couple that with the fact that it's only 5.1% abv and it's as good as it gets.

I'm amazed that Surly found a way to cram this much flavor into a 5.1% beer. It's incredibly deep and flavorful. Any coffee fan will surely appreciate this beer. But, it's not so coffee heavy that others will be intimidated or turned off. While it is a very prominent flavor, it's not overbearing at all. Simply another testament to Surly's ability to do things right.

So, is it better than Bender? Well...maybe a little. Despite this being an incredibly tasty beer, I can't ignore the fact that Bender is too. I think the coffee flavor gives it a slight edge for me. I find it a little more drinkable as a result. But, there's not a real material difference. They're both spectacular beers. But, I believe coffee fans will find just enough to give this one a slight edge...just like I do. Thanks, Brad. This is excellent stuff. (2,575 characters)

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a thin but dark brown with a little light coming through. Looks like a cup of coffee only a shade lighter - and I think I notice this only because it's not in a mug. One finger head with big sheets of lacing.

S: Wow. I wished all American Brown Ales smelled like this one. Rich, roasted coffee notes with a little vanilla and oatmeal.

T: There's no a way a coffee lover could turn down this beer. Rich, roasted coffee beans - but not completely overpowering. Subtle sweet malts and some chocolate flavors round this one out.

M: Medium to full body and moderate carbonation. Coffee flavor lingers.

D: Absolutely loved this one. The only beer I know of rivaling this one in the coffee dept is Terrapin's Wake n Bake. A must try for anyone that enjoys coffee. (793 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into an Efes tulip. Moderate beige head sticks around for a moment atop a murky dark brown body. Sticky, soapy and mainly clear lacing lines the glass. Aroma includes malty sweetness, coffee, caramel and a touch of chocolate and vanilla. Taste is loaded with good things happening. Coffee dominates but again, notes of chocolate, vanilla and maybe praline. Really impressive. (402 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Had this out of the keg around 8:00 am at Darkness Day '08.

Poured into a plastic cup... A dark dark brown color with a huge light brown head. I believe there was a lot more head in this more then there should of been. Someone else mentioned that it almost looked like a cappuccino with the head and I can totally see that as well. There was a very delicious coffee aroma with some hints of sweet chocolate. Coffee is my true favorite drink so when I can have it with my second love of beer that is pure ecstasy in my book. The roasted smell is great especially for the morning. With the first sip you get that bitter roasted taste you would expect from coffee and then hints of the sweet chocolate comes in. But surprisingly the coffee isn't too much, you can definitely taste that this guy has its roots in a porter.

Drinkability is great! Coffee and beer - I love it! Surly hits another home run here. (907 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Had copious amounts on tap many times in the cities.

A- Pours a 1 finger white head, creamy in consistency. The body is brown with ruby red highlights. As the glass empties, thin lacing covers the glass.

S- Very nice pressed coffee aromatics coupled with vanilla, cream, bits chocolate, and some nuttiness. The hops are subdued on this vs. the regular bender, but still has some great balance.

T- Starts off with some nice roasted coffee, although lighter than what i was expecting. The coffee melds perfectly with vanilla, cream, light chocolate, some nuttiness, and a creamy finish with great residual notes of fresh coffee.

M- Very smooth with light carbonation. The coffee finish is great.

D- Extremely drinkable. Will definitely have this gem again. (762 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance - pours a murky brown, like coffee mixed with hot chocolate. A thin mocha head doesn't hang around long but paints a few ribbons of lace as the beer is consumed.

Aroma - fine malty goodness, in tandem with standard but good-smelling coffee.

Taste - mirrors the sniff. Good roasty grain, tasty coffee flavors. Easy on the swallow, a trace of balancing hops, the coffee biting a bit as well. The finish is very nice, the coffee lingering.

Mouthfeel - crisp, somewhat smooth, average body.

Drinkability - a fine session beer, at the top of the list for an American Brown. Thanks to MPLS and SkyDoc for setting me up with some of these gems at DLD09. More is better!!! (679 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Cheers to morimech for this brew!!!

Holy hell...this beer is amazing. Its seriously like an ice coffee. Its really that simular!! I love this brew! I first had it D-Day (omar gave us in line early a keg) and it was great then!!!

I really enjoy the coffee taste. Its a great melt of beer and coffee! Its probably the closet to straight coffee ive ever had!

Simply lovely!!!

Cheers! (385 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Acquired this from Beerbeagle courtesy of No One Wants to See a Beer Geek Naked #2 so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

A: This beer pours a thin but deep rich brown. Lighter chestnut hues around the edge when held to the light. A one finger of light brown head sits on top and recedes moderately. Nice sheets of lacing is left on the glass.

S: Nose is of rich coffee bean. Minor hints of caramel and dark malts, but MAN - I swear I could stick my nose in a coffee bag and get the same scent!

T: Taste is sublime. The can says it's like Ice Coffee, and that is NO damn joke! Rich coffee notes - fresh as fresh coffee can be. Charred and roasted malts. Some mild hints of hops in the finish that make this one of the best beers that has crossed my palate.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation, crisp body with a very dry yet sticky finish to it.

D: This is a phenomenal beer. Damn the beer gods for teasing me with this! Truly though, this is a great beer, not filling, beyond tasty. If it were distributed to me, it would most definitely be my go to beer! (1,077 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Honestly, it doesn't taste like beer in the slightest. I feel like I'm drinking black coffee whipped up and served cold. I rarely say this but I would love to try a BA version of this. I love coffee beers and this is up at the top. (231 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Very, very dark brown body with a purplish-red hue when held to light. The head is a medium brown standing about an inch tall. This is a very inviting brew.

S - Oh, coffee. Smooth and inviting. This is an aroma that begs to be consumed. I can't wait!

T - Coffee with a woody middle and a subtle hop finish. This is an intriguing brew.

M - Smooth but a little watery. I must say the feel is good but it could be a hair better with a little more texture. I think a bit of coarseness might help to bring out more of the hops that I can sense is lurking in a back alley.

~ I want to call this brew complex but it really is straight forward and to the point. This is definitely something every beer drinker must try. You will not regret it! Thanks again "drizzam"! (769 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

The can pours a solid dark brown color with red and orange tints when held to the light. A brilliant tan head which lingers long and rock, leaving a bit of lacing. Aroma is amazing-I can smell it from three feet away. Big Time Coffee. Pure, simple, and inviting.

Taste is of a wonderful iced coffee. My first can I almost struggled to remember that this was indeed a beer. Huge roasty coffee notes forward, followed by the Bender's base of nuttyness, only more subdued by the coffee, followed by a mild-and incredibly welcome, lactose sweetness which acts as the cream in this coffee beer. Nice earthy hop bitterness works in harmony with the coffee without any bitter acridness that is prevalent in many a coffee beer (read: stouts). A creamy body, slightly thin with mild carbonation.

Drinkable? You betcha. This cup-a-joe is easily in the upper echelon of coffee beers. (Central Waters Coffee Stout, Founder's Breakfast Stout, and Bell's Java Stout are it's only peers) Pert near sessionable which few coffee beers can claim. (NG Coffee Stout) (1,049 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from can to a tulip.

A: Dark brown with a red hue appearing from the bottom of the glass. Massive carbonation that sticks around for a loooong while.

S: Huge coffee notes. Can detect some brown sugar and a bit of malt but mostly coffee.

T: Since I drank this at fridge temp it was like an iced coffee. I can't believe that only 24 hrs gave this beer so much coffee flavor. Its delicious, honestly tastes like an iced coffee from Caribou. Sublime.

O: Love it and the name serves it well. If I were coming off a bender this beer would be ideal. Definitely worth seeking out from the MN BAs although it is a bit pricey. (627 characters)

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company