Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.
Reviews: 810 | Hads: 2,409
4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Review #200 for me.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Color is a dark carmel brown, slightly dark ruby. There is a tan head with fades of light yellow in it. Not a very large head, but good lace rings.

Aroma is like a coffee shop. Lots of rich coffee aromas. A roasted smell with a lot of malts. Very good.

Taste is pretty light for a dark colored beer as this. It tastes like dark coffee meets beer. Definitely mainly malts. Amazing, if you enjoy coffee.

Mouthfeel is simply refreshing. Smooth and creamy. Ends with a super-clean aftertaste. Good carbonation.

Overall, amazing and easy to drink. I definitely want more surly. I highly recommend this beer, as it is all-around amazing.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am not a big fan of coffee (although I do drink it from time to time) or coffee beers but this is well done. It has a good dose of coffee bean flavor on the aroma and on the nose. In fact my only complaint is the bender qualities are overwhelmed by the coffee. I guess that is why it is a coffee beer but I would have liked to have seen a little more of the bender brown qualities emerge.

Body is a little thin and slightly acidic feeling.

If you like coffee beers you will most likely find this appealing. If you are looking for bender with subtle coffee notes you will be disappointed as this is a coffee bomb.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

An update as I really feel I've had a different experience the second time around - mainly when it comes to aroma! I am pushing that from 4 to 4.5 this time.

Pour - out of the can this floods my glass and settles as a reddish brown color with a big, thick, off-white foamy head. Looks like a nice beer right out of the can.

Aroma - wow. Once you pop that tab it smells like you cracked one of those little Doubleshots from Starbucks. The smell is that of super fresh roasted coffee and can easily be detected from across a room. Hay-soos! Coffee galore when it comes to the aroma, not much else to say. Hooray for coffee!

Taste - a big wave of bitter, dark-roasted coffee heaven takes center stage followed by some sweet malt and some tangy flavors. This is a very solid brown ale mixed with some ridiculously fresh (and quality) tasting coffee.

Overall - I had this once before and wasn't all that impressed. For some reason the second time around is a totally different experience. Maybe Surly changed things? Maybe this can was fresher? Who knows. All I know is that the coffee flavor in this beer is intense and makes for one hell of a great tasting beer.

Would I buy more of it? - part of me wishes I lived in Minnesota and part of me is glad I don't. I'd be spending a lot on Surly beer....

Pretty psyched to get a couple of these from Kiefdog. Thanks!

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a half inch of stark white head. The head fades quick leaving a perfect ring.

The initial smell is pretty mild, I don't get a lot more than some caramel, cocoa and brown sugar. All the prototypical brown ale smells, no coffee at first.

Taste upfront is that super nice Bender brown ale taste followed by a nice bitter wallop of dark roast coffee. It all comes together very, very nicely.

This is a great drinking very rich and complex beer at only 5.10%. Most beers with this much flavor also have a super high ABV leaving you pretty numb. I love it. I need more low ABV coffeee brown ales!!!

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to Buebie for this one. Got in trade last week.

Slightly more head than the standard bender, and somewhat darker. The coffee flavor is strong, but the malt base still comes through a bit. Expected carbonation. Not much for hops. I like this a lot, I'm glad they made it a standard offering.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

I acquired this through a trade with wery0001. I poured from a 16 ounce can into a standard pint glass. It pours a deep reddish brown with a fuzzy white head. It has great aroma. It is sweet, dark roasted coffee. The flavor follows. It has great balance, a great combination of beer and coffee. The beer has medium body and just the right amount of carbonation. This is better than my normal cup of morning joe.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 16 oz can into an Imperial pint glass. Label is typical red, gold, white, and black of Surly. However, the logo is on a pint glass that is blasting off, I suppose a reference to the coffee. No freshness date. Thanks to biniek13 for this one.

Appearance: Pours with 3 1/2 fingers of medium to light tan head. This settles very slowly, and still maintain nearly 2 fingers of height. Areas of the glass which have been uncovered show nice, sticky lacing. The beer itself is a deep mahogany and nearly completely opaque. Hints of light sneak around the edges.

Smell: Strong aroma of slightly sweet coffee, though the aroma does not contain much bitterness. Some underlying caramel malt with a hint of roastiness in the finish.

Taste: Semi-sweet coffee flavor upfront, with enough roasty bitterness to balance it out. Finishes with a lingering, mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level. Body is very good.

Drinkability: As touted on the can, this is an iced coffee for adults. Smooth and immensely drinkable, it is also very flavorful. Another hit from Surly. I hope they eventually expand their distribution, but will give them time to do it right.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Huge thanks to tytoandreso, one of the best BA traders out there, for hooking me up with this beer.

A - Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. Dark mohagany brown color with slight burgundy highlights. Well-retaining light tan head with some lacing left on the sides of glass.

S - Moderately-intense amount of ground coffee aroma. Toasty and caramel malts. Slight citrusy hop presence. Nutty.

T - More of the coffee coming in here, mostly a brewed coffee-type taste. Medium-dry finish with lingering coffee and toasty notes. Bitterness is moderate. Caramel presence.

M - Medium bodied, moderate to moderate-high carbonation. Smooth.

D - Great breakfast beer, coffee flavor pairs well with what is a very well-balanced, drinkable American Brown Ale. Wish I had a sixer of this.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up a four pack of 16oz cans on my last trip through Minnesota. Beer for a mug, from a can.
Deep, dark brown (almost black) with ruby red highlights. Large head of tight bubbles, good retention, but does slowly fade to a thin cap. Decent amount of lacing.
A nice whiff of coffee at the start, strong but not overpowering.
Taste has enough malty sweetness to stand up to the coffee/espresso flavor. Nice mix of sweet malt, coffee kick, and bitter finish. If you like coffee, you'll like this - my wife doesn not drink coffee and found this to be too much.
Good mouthfeel, thick and creamy, slightly dry finish. A new favorite of mine, but still just a touch below the Great Divide Espresso Yeti.
Will enjoy a couple and trade the other two, and let someone else enjoy too.

Note to self: #1 American Brown Ale when I tried it.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Given to me by Newtonty, thanks man.

A: Pours java brown with a ¾ inch tan, foamy head. Lacing is thick on initial pour and looks like a step ladder going down the glass. Lacing is draped down the glass after finishing. 4.5

S: Coffee grounds heavy on the nose. The java smell came up fron the glass even before I was done pouring it. This coffee smells delicious.

M/T: A low medium mouth feel, a slight carbonation bite on the tongue on first drink. The coffee hits the pallet first, followed by some bitterness in the under tone. I can taste the fresh 45 ibus kicking in the background. Roasted malts are always present. This is still a light beer and the description on the back of the can saying this beer is like a "iced coffee", I would say is very accurate. You get the coffee flavor, but it is still refreshing. Finishes semi clean.

D: Nice and light. You forget your a drinking an alcoholic beverage after a few drinks. Very little to no lingering aftertaste. Very easy going beer, drink it till you can't sleep! Surly does not make a bad product.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Ok so another good offering from Surly, but definately not my favorite. Appearance is good, nice deep brown color, lots of life to it. Smell and taste are quite similar, unfortunately, I'm not a huge coffee fan and that kind of overpowers the rest of what is going on. Some malt and rather sweet for the style. Mouthfeel is nice and medium in body. Drinkability is good, but again coffee is not really my thing so a bit much for me.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

On-tap at Sheffield's. Served in a pint glass.

A - One and a half fingers of tannish foam with great retention and solid lacing. Color is kind of unattractive - a murky, uneven, dirt brown. Not as handsome as regular Bender, that's for sure.

S - Roast coffee, but not bitter at all. Think coffee with too much cream & sugar in it. Chocolate, vanilla, biscuity malt sweetness - all the regular Bender smells are in there too, but further in the background. It's Bender, but with nice coffee - what more do ya want?

T - Roasty coffee, some floral hops, chocolate, malt, biscuit. The taste has a fair bit more roasty bitterness than the smell.

M - Some similar complaints to regular Bender - kind of thin and watery. Nice carbonation - just a little tingle on the upper lip. Otherwise creamy & velvety.

D - Less drinkable than Bender, as the coffee is a bit fatiguing, but the lower ABV and carbonation are definitely positives.

I don't like this quite as much as regular Bender, as the coffee masks the hoppiness that I really like and gets a bit tiring after a pint or two. It's still a nice, lighter, coffee brew.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

16 oz can, big thanks to oakbluff for throwing me a few of these.

Pours a slightly murky dark reddish orange, light brown hues, very thick tan head forms, drops a ton of lace chunks on the glass, slowly settles down to a thin layer, good retention, looks nice. Smell is yummy, caramel, toast, floral and grapefruit hops, nice and earthy, light coffee roast, fruit, pineapple, biscuity malt, coffee plays real nice with the normal Bender. Taste is just as nice, caramel and biscuit, dry toasty malts, light chocolate, coffee, grapefruit and pineapple although not as pronounced as the aroma, earthy, light bit of sour fruit, more coffee roast, nicely balanced finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, very smooth and drinkable. Still think I prefer the regular Bender, but the coffee gives this a pretty cool dimension, just enough to make it interesting. Really nice stuff, thanks Scotty!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: 1 pint/16oz can into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt for sharing his fortune and passing a few of these babies along to me.

A- Deep brown with nice ruby highlights. Sturdy pour produces ~2 1/2 fingers stiff tan head, which settles slowly into a fairly thin cap, and leaving a fair amount of lacing.

S- A bit of nutty earthiness and coffee. Malty sweetness pokes through after a few minutes.

T- Moderately sweet, caramel maltiness and coffee. Solid, moderately high level of bitterness on the finish. If you like black coffee, you'll probably like this.

M- Moderate carbonation and feel. Quite dry on the finish.

D- Pretty good. Low-ish ABV%, and goes down easy. I could drink coffee all day, and I dare say, were it not for the fact that it contains alcohol, I could drink these in a similar manner.

Future outlook: Sigh....I love all 3 of the Surly brews that I've been lucky enough to try...BUT....I cannot purchase Surly here in Ohio....so I'll enjoy the few I have left, and then start wondering when and from where my next fix will arrive....

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this brew in a trade with akokandy, Thanks Adam!

16oz can served in a beer mug.

L - very dark brown color with a beige head that left some good lacing behind.

S - coffee, coffee and more coffee.

T - rich roasted coffee flavor is the most dominant taste in this brew, malts and hop flavors are mixed in but the coffee is the star of this show.

F - medium bodied with a smooth, creamy feel.

D - goes down smooth and easy, it's just a matter of how much coffee taste the drinker can stand, personally 2 in a sitting is enough for me.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Deep dark pour with lovely lacing as the beer disappears down the ole' gullet.

The sniffer detects iced coffee

Taste meets smell. Mild bitterness, chocolate, iced coffee, and a sugary quality.

My only real complaint with Surly beers is there is a watery mouthfeel to many of their beers. It's a rather small complaint considering I really enjoy their stuff.

Easy and enjoyable to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Coffee bean brown that becomes dark cherry with bright orange highlights when held up to my sunlit front window. The golden brown sugar colored head is several finger's worth of wonderfulness. It's loaded with character and is beginning to deposits gobs of moth-eaten lace all over the sides of the glass. Easy call.

I've never been a coffee drinker, but there's something about the smell of the good stuff that appeals to me. Marry that with the best American brown ale on planet Earth and you have sheer olfactory perfection. I haven't even tasted it yet and can already imagine lovers of both coffee and beer going apeshit over this brew.

My biggest fear was that the coffee would completely obliterate what makes Surly Bender so outstanding. The java beans do blur the complexities of the base beer, but then they could hardly do otherwise. Coffee Bender is *almost* as good as the straight stuff... probably better if you're a coffee aficionado.

This just might be the perfect morning libation. All good beer is good at any time of the day or night, but you get the idea. As often happens with coffee-added beer, the initial palate shock fades after a while and the rest of the flavors begin to shine. Those include: brown bread, cocoa, sugared pecans and a handful of leafy hops that brings each mouthful to a snappy close. Wow, that's pretty close to my description of Bender.

The mouthfeel is exceptional for the style and the ABV. It wouldn't be fair to expect any more chewiness from a beer that barely tops 5.0%. As with everything that Todd and Omar release, there's no chink in the armor.

I honestly didn't know that Coffee Bender would be this good. Then again, with Bender as a base beer, it would pretty hard to go wrong no matter what was added (within reason). The original is still the best, but damn!... this is outstanding ale.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to two kind traders, I've got enough joe in the house to revive a battle-weary army. And if they happen to be Vikings - well, I have enough sauce for them as well. Thanks Jeff, and thanks, Bill!

A: Like Bender, Coffee Bender pours a deep brown with a light brown head with good retention and pleasing lace. Crystal clear and with reddish-brown highlights, this one's a looker

S: Dried coffee grounds are the most prominent. Vigorous swirling brings out some of the base malts with caramel, a little bit of vanilla coming through

T: Opens up with plenty of black coffee, bitter in nature. The coffee completely overshadows Bender and it's nuanced brilliance. Towards the mid-palate, some sweeter malts are noticeable, cutting the coffee bitterness quite well. A little bit of vanilla comes through on the finish that's complex with sweetness, coffee bitterness and a pleasing dryness

M: Light in body with good carbonation and a great finish

D: I'm enjoying this, though I prefer the non-coffee version more.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

I had this beer at the 2008 Oregon Brewers Festival and I am finally getting around to putting my review on BA. This beer had the longest line which can be risky at obf but this time it was worth the wait.

This beer had a fairly decent head a lot like the original bender.

As far as smell goes, the beer reminds me of walking downstairs and realizing that someone is already up before me making coffee. I was extremely excited after smelling it.

The taste is like an americano. For me, that is fantastic. I feel like so much of the flavor was coffee, but it was in no way too much. There were also some nutty notes to the flavor. The carbonation was perfect for this beer, not to heavy to take away from the flavor.

The beer doesn't leave as dry of a feeling as one would expect from all the coffee.

I cant say much about the drinkability as i was only given a 4 oz taster. But I can speculate that I could down 4 cans.

Ultimately I believe bender from futurama would truly be proud to share a name with such a fantastic beer.

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to pepsican for this in growling at the moon.

A: Poured a nice deep brown color with a finger of white head. There was some spotty lacing.

S: The coffee is there but different than any other coffee beer I have ever had. Very subtle. Iced coffee would be the best way to describe it using words but I feel that even that falls a bit short of how it actually smells.

T: Coffee right there. Much more bitter than regular bender but that is to be expected. Almost a little too bitter. The coffee works better than I though it would with a brown ale.

M: Really nice light body. I like that about the surly beers they all seem like you could session them for the rest of time.

D: I really enjoyed this. Just a really great coffee beer. Not the best I have had but a damn fine beer. I would be putting away cans of this on the regular if it were available near me. Again thanks go out to pepsican for the opportunity to try this.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

What better way to finish off a night of watching some live Bluegrass, than with a can of Surly Coffee Bender.

Pours a translucent brown in color with a good inch of head forming on the pour. To be honest it looks a bit thin. Smell is subtle but well done coffee. Taste is good. A near perfect balance between brown ale and coffee. The coffee doesn't dominate the underlying beer and is a complimentary flavor to the overall offering. Very well done. Easy and very smooth drinking for a coffee flavored beer. Another great one from Surly.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a very dark brown with a nice sized off-white head, almost a light brown. The head retention is great but the lacing only made about half the glass.

S: Surprise, strong coffee lying on-top of Bender.

T: The taste is quite interesting here. The coffee doesn't hit strong at any particular time, it just is there, but not in an overpowering way. It's like drinking a bender and getting the roasted malts, chocolate, and slight hops, but all the while having a coffee taste spiked into every individual flavor. If you like coffee, you'll probably love this, if not....

Overall: Amazing beer, great mouthfeel, well carbonated and light-medium bodied. Not as drinkable as Bender though, the taste wears you down a bit.

2.46/5  rDev -40.7%

16 oz can received in a trade as an extra. Looked interesting but I immediately thought of "Buzz Beer" from the old Drew Carey Show.

Poured very dark brown, not quite black. Head disappeared quickly with no lacing in the glass. The mouthfeel and appearance were about the only aspects that I found remotely appealing about this beer. The taste was acidic. The combination of coffee and beer smells very unappealing like a sink with dirty glasses of coffee mugs and beer glasses.

Judging by other reviews, people obviously like it so don't let me disuade you from giving it a try. This was my first and likely my last because I don't see my taste changing that much any time soon. In the mean time, I'll do my coffee and beer drinking at separate times.

Thanks just the same to Joe for including it as an extra, I'm always looking to try a new beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks goes out to Buebie for this brew.

Poured into my Surly glass a very nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy tan head, with lots of thick/creamy sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with a good hint of coffee. The taste is bitter, malty, very nice touch of coffee notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, another excellent brew from Surly.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Surly Coffee Bender pours a finger of creamy tan foam over an almost opaque coffe-colored brew. The nose is fresh brew and mocha. The flavor is esspreso bean dominating toasty malts with a sharp grassy/herbal hop off the back. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and crisp, finishing dryish. In my opinion it's not as rich and complex as the original Bender, but on the other hand the original Bender isn't made with coffee either. Iced espresso plus alcohol equals satisfaction!

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

I love it. I've had two cans and my mouth wants more. There are actually a few coffee grounds in the bottom of my glass.

The coffee is very pronounced, in a good way. I didn't expect to like it this much. It's very dark, and has a healthy amount of foam when you pour it, but it goes away quickly.

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company