Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Coffee BenderCoffee Bender

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.
Reviews: 800 | Hads: 2,350
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Recieved as an extra...(a really good extra).

Pours like an Iced coffee, but with a nice head of light brown and white. Visible carbonation pulls you in to decide if it is a benefit or a hinderence to the drink.

Smells like a coffee mocha. Toffee and cocoa.

Tastes like a Cold cappucino, chocolate syrup, tons of coffee and sweet malted coffee shop foam.

mouthfeel is thin...similar to an iced latte.
Carbonation is very level. Not too much, not too little.

Drinkable as a coffee bender, not much as daily drinker.

This is my Birthday Review!!! Yeah Me...Yeah Beer... (573 characters)

an extra from mnbearsfan (thank you). Tasted on 2/18/11, reviewed from notes:

A: Pours a brown w/ a small amount of red hue in it. Half finger of head that dissipates slowly.

S: Lots and lots of coffee smell. A little confused by the smell.

T: Good coffee taste up front with the sugary malt taste of a brown in the middle finished with a dry coffee taste/finish.

M: Lots of carbonation with a smooth dry feel.

D: Enjoyable for its style. The coffee is slightly overpowering but I was still glad to try a tallboy of it. (524 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - Pours a thick quickly dissipating off white head. Color is an amber/brown, cola like.

Smell - Roasted grain, bittersweet chocolate, cocoa nibs. There is a floral hop presence as well.

Taste - Roasted coffee beans, cocoa, herbal and floral hop character.

Mouthfeel - Feels like I'm drinking a big roasty blend of coffee or an espresso. It's thin but dries your mouth out and coats your tongue like the crema from an espresso would. This with the hoppy bitterness blend well together.

Drinkability - I could drink a lot of this. Unfortunately I didn't really get to experience it warm up a lot because it went down so fast. A really good beer, I wish we had Surly in Michigan, I would always keep some in my disc golf bag. (738 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beer for a mug, from a can, poured into Avery Tour Glass. Canned 02/24/14.

I've not written one of these in a while, so I figured I'd sit down and do a review for this beer.

A: Pours a deep brown with clear mahogany light through the edges and 1/2 finger of cappuccino-colored head that dissipates after a couple minutes to a ring and mottled film, leaving plenty of sheet lacing.

S: Huge coffee right out of the can and even more abundantly from the glass. Roasty notes of iced coffee alongside a mild chocolate and what I can only describe as the slight malty sweet waxiness that is characteristic of brown ales. This beer smells like what it claims to be, full of coffee and cocoa powder.

T/M: Astringent up front with a burn of carbonation, the first real flavor that emerges is, unsurprisingly, unapologetic coffee. Underneath an abundant coffee character is a slight hint of malt sweetness, but the brown ale-ness of this is somewhat lost in the coffee. Which I think is really what they were going for. The finish is clean and roasty, and the lingering character is of very earthy coffee, with a hint of a flavor that is vaguely plant-like... almost like a tree or a leaf, but not from hops. Just something that brings back fresh-cut grass. Mouthfeel is medium to thin with a moderate to high level of carbonation. Finish is clean and watery with a reasonable coffee astringency.

O: I am impressed, but not chomping at the bit to get my hands on more. This is definitely a cool beer and I'm glad I tried it, because I've not had anything quite like this. (1,566 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a surly nonic. Big thanks to expedition for both the can and the glass!

Basically, this beer was bender hiding behind a bunch of fine coffee. I was hoping for something more like bender with the coffee subtlety just a little more accentuated, but instead it was overwhelming (perhaps the most straight up coffee taste) coffee with the subtleties of bender hiding deep behind the flavor. Not bad, and if you love coffee much preferable, but basically just bender with a twist that isn't necessarily praiseworthy. If I could only choose one, still stick with classic bender. (585 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

A -- This beer pours with a great big white head, but as it subsides it leaves pockets of white floating on the surface that look remarkably like mold -- not very inviting.

S - Smells like folgers instant coffee with a slight sour cherry note in the background.

T - Tastes as it smells. I like the coffee taste even if it tastes like a below average coffee, it's refreshing to find it in something other than a stout.

M - Nothing really special here, but the carbonation is good for this style.

O - I would drink it again. For the price and the alcohol content, it's a tasty beer to not get blasted off of. (610 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Got this can in an EXTRA! Big thanks. Was not very impressed with Bender, but this is much better.

The appearance on this one is a dark brown heart with lighter edges. It has a mocha colored frothy head that pours two fingers and stays at one for the entire tasting. No lacing.

The smell is of cold roasted coffee with burnt grain.

The taste is of coffee, and lots of it. I feel like the coffee is strong, but not backed up very well. It has a tastes of roasted grains and not much else to back up the coffee flavor.

The mouthfeel is light, but makes it really easy to drink. It is a lighter ale, so taking that to mind it is one of the better brown ales I have had. I have not had a lot from Surly, but Furious is one of my favorites from them so far.
(763 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from can into pint tulip - no best by date visible -

A: Pours a deep brown with one finger head that descended into a thin frothy tan lacing, decent carbonation.

S: Faint whiffs of coffee , slight roasted malts and barley.

T: Light coffee hints with a smooth creamy feel , slight roasted malts and barley, minimal hops.

O: This is almost exactly like drinking an iced coffee , a little on the thin side but tasty non-the-less , worth a try. (451 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a big can into a tall .5l weizen glass.

Appearance: Deep dark brown/ruby color with a fluffy tan head that doesn't last long, but laces nicely.

Smell: Sweet dark coffee and chocolate notes. Smells like an iced mocha coffee. If I smelled it blindfoled, that's what I would think it was. Doesn't smell like beer, but it smells very good.

Taste: Dark roasted malts and coffee co-mingle with a minimal amount of noticeable hops (or maybe the coffee just overpowers them). An interesting flavor and I like it. However, this is a little too hearty and powerful tasting to do more than one in a sitting, and it's definitely a sipping beer, not easy to chug this one down quickly.

Mouth Feel: Dry, medium to full bodied, lightly carbonated. Not bad.

Drinkability: It's good, and I will definitely have another, but not for session drinking due to it's strong flavors. It's a delicious "one-and-done" brew. Another creative and interesting brew from the excellent brewmasters at Surly. (993 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8%

Wonderful coffee flavor but it seems unbalanced in this relatively light body. Other coffee beers have more substance to them. Does not look as nice as regular Bender as a head never really forms and there is minimal lacing left on the glass. Coffee dominants the aroma and flavor. I do not get anything to even come close to balance or compliment the coffee. I just feel coffee compliments bigger beers than a brown ale. (421 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours from the can a dark brown with an off-white head that reduces quickly. The aroma tells you quickly that it's coffee, coffee and more coffee. So it tastes like, well, coffee. There's a bit of chocolate and roasted malts. Medium mouth, and it goes down pretty easy. I taste very little of the Bender base. This reminds me more of a porter or thin coffee stout. It's good, but not what I expected. (400 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8%

We made beer floats by combining this with sweet cream liqueur. Absolutely delicious!!!

A= Poured into a Surly Pint glass, the beer exhibits the color of an October midnight - black. The head is thick and off-white/brown in color upon pour and disipates rather quickly into fine lace.

S= Aroma showed deeply toasted malts combined with expresso and roasted hazelnuts.

T= A cooperative combination of brown ale flavor with a lighter than expected coffee enhancement. Malty, earthy, and nutty with some fruity essence.

M= A little thinner than expected for such a dark beer. A decent finish makes up for thinness.

D= As stated above, we did beer floats. This made the experience more fun and added a unique dimension as the coffee up front was followed by rich, sweet cream. On it's own, I would be hesitant to have more than one at a time. (845 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

A-As I poured this into my glass I couldn't help but notice that it looked just like my morning coffee,but had better lacing.

S-The aroma is the same as a coffee that has been left on the counter for a half hour.The smell is wonderful.

T-It has a cold,dry coffee taste with a hint of chocolate malt and a ever so slight bitterness.Coffee taste was alot weaker than the smell.

M-Medium bodied almost full.Smooth feel and low carbonation make for a great mouthfeel.

D-Lower abv makes this a very easy drinking beer.It would be a tough call between my morning coffee or a Coffee Bender on the weekends. (603 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Since it was out of my distribution I paid the premium on this "grey market" beer. 6 bucks for the can.

A - Looks pretty sweet for a coffee infused brown ale. The head on this one is a solid inch with acceptable lacing on the glass. Beer itself is a deep amber brown, almost coffee black.

S - Smells has some sweet nuts and brown malts but not too much coffee or at least not as much as I expected.

T - Not that great it starts off nice with a blast of herbal like coffee but then takes the herbal part too far with too much hops in the mid-palate. Brown malts and other nutty flavors do give it a nice finish but the hops distract it from being a malt forward brown ale.

M - Medium and chewy spot on for a coffee beer.

Overall I am kind of glad I didn't love this since I shouldn't get it in the first place. Could have been the sculpin or 120 heightening my hops preception but it wasn't a bad beer overall. (914 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Serving type- 16 ounce can poured into a pint glass. I got this as an extra in a trade with mnjeff.

A- Pours a dark chocolate brown. No visible activity after the pour. A small one finger tan head present after the pour that stayed throughout the beer. A small amount of cling present troughout the beer.

S- Hints of coffee(obviously) that seem to be roasted.

T- The roasted coffee taste comes out in the taste as well. There is a medium flavor of hops and malt, nothing overpowering in this beer. If anything I am getting the coffee flavoring the most. There is a strong bitter feel to the beer that is constant throughout the taste.

This is the first 'craft' beer that I have had from a can and I was interested in how that might alter or affect the taste. As far as I can tell there is no difference from bottled beer. This is a decent offering but not something that I would get again. Jeff sent me various stuff from Surly and I can't wait to try out the other stuff. I am sure they will be solid beers just like this one was. (1,036 characters)

Poured into a Stone RIS Snifter

A: Pours a dark brown, light does penetrate through the glass. The head on it actually resembles drip coffee that had been poured into a coffee mug.

S: Smells like day old coffee and hints of chocolate.

T: It has a very pronounced iced coffee flavor, does not have the best coffee flavor, it's not bad, just not what I expected from it. It is a refreshing coffee drink. It would be nice on a warm summer day.

M/D: very carbonated, had an interesting iced coffee thing going on. The coffee flavor did not seem to be of the highest quality, but it was still tasty nonetheless. (610 characters)

GLASS: Samuel Smith Nonic
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
Thanks to thehand for hooking me up with this one!

This pours up a very dark amber color. Very nice deep red highlights. About one-finger of lightly creamy, light tan colored foam makes the head. It recedes to a thin, filmy covering which stays around. Lacing is pretty good and lightly sticky.

Smells hugely of fresh ground coffee beans. Very nice undertone of dark chocolates. I believe there is a touch of lacto sweetness here, also.

Good, yet mild, flavor of dark roasted malts combine with a big presence of fresh ground coffee to give this a great taste. There is a mild brown sugar sweetness in the middle, which brings some balance to the roastiness. It finishes with a touch of acrid bitterness, which doesn't kill it, but it could finish a little bit smoother, IMO.

This is the weakest part of it, for me. The body is on the thinner side of medium. Carbonation level is fairly low. A bit of tweaking could get this one in the thicker range and bring in some very welcome creaminess.

The weak body certainly wouldn't keep me from drinking this one, alot. Damn, I wish Surly had better distribution. Nicely drinkable. (1,191 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%

Drank this from my cigar city snifter.

A- Pours about as dark as u can get without being called black. Two fingers of a tan head that has pretty good retention. Tons of lacing left. A very looking beer.

A- I get roasted malts in a big way up front. There is some biscuit or bread in the mix. The coffee isn't shining through and is pretty faint.

T- follows the nose. A ton of roasted malts rolling up on me right away. The coffee is present, but I was expecting it to play a biiger part. There is a faint chocolate in play along with some very distant vanilla. As the beer warms, I get more coffee.

M- perfect level of carbonation, but way to thin. I really enjoyed this beer, I just wish it was a little creamier.

D- very good. I could drink it all night long and be happy. (784 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

from Chixdighops into an imperial pint glass.

Pours dark brown with ruby coloring at the edges. Dirty white head, some lacing, minimal of each.

Smells like the added coffee. I've waited patiently for another aroma, but it's largely just the coffee over the top of malt.

Despite the strong coffee aroma, the taste is a bit more mild than anticipated. There is only a small layering of flavor however the depth of the malt is well executed.

Mouthfeel is smooth, a bit lighter than I expected until I realized it was a brown ale and not a porter (note: previous notes are also reflective of being aware of the correct style).

It is certainly fine brew, and an ale that is well crafted. However, the coffee is present throughout the glass and I find this both unnecessary as a rule and unfortunate for the brown ale which I typically prefer to drink as a lighter style brew and which is negated nearly entirely by the coffee here.

(66th) (940 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Live review of a pint can canned 12/30/10 courtesy of arvjunk.
A: Clear mahogany with reddish hues, nice dark cream head, and good lacing.
S: Nutty (walnut) caramel, mild fresh-brewed drip or French press coffee, cream. Mild aroma.
T: Similar to the aroma, with a slight diacetyl or toffee, nice orange citrus hops. Good. You'd just think that the flavor would be more intense.
M: Moderately or lightly syrupy, frothy, and crisper in the finish.
D: Pretty good. A little more watered-down than you'd expect, but decent flavors for the lower alcohol. (550 characters)

16oz Can

A: espresso brown with a wonderful creamy head and nice carbonation

S: rum, a touch of coffee, dried fruit

T: Chewy caramel melts into espresso, with maple syrup in the mix.

M,D: Warms real well in the glass, creamy and rich on the palate. Very drinkable. (269 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours incredibly dark. A bit of head but fairly settled. Not too carbonated. Smells strongly of coffee and malt. Very pleasant on the nose. Definitely tastes like coffee coffee coffee... not much else to it. The malt profile peaks through a hair but the coffee overpowers. Great smooth mouthfeel but overall not much of a brown ale taste through the overly coffee flavoured beer (378 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

August 30, 2014

16 oz can, nonic pint

A – Medium to dark brown. Effervescent. Off-white head, low head retention. Basically looks like a carbonated version of my morning java brew.

S – Smells like a freshly opened bottle of cold-pressed coffee. Lots of roasty, burnt notes. Bitter.

T – Again, a lot of cold-pressed or iced coffee. Bitterness is strong but not overwhelming. Burnt flavors are actually minimal. Instead it’s very roasty, with touches of chicory.

M – Medium carbonation, slightly astringent. Mild bitter coffee in the finish and the aftertaste.

O – I want to like this a lot more than I do, but the cold pressed coffee is a little too upfront and pushes the beer out of balance. That characteristic could certainly be appealing for some drinkers. Would love to taste this base brown ale with no or more balanced coffee addition. (872 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

Can courtesy photomike. Pours a clear ruby brownish copper with a nice light tan head. Not exactly a 'brown' brown ale. Aroma is straight up coffee grounds. I wish I could say more but that's pretty much it. Flavor is iced coffee with half and half. Slightly green coffee beans with light acidity and moderate astringency. Body and mouthfeel are otherwise fine, and if you like coffee beer, this is pretty much the definition of it. (432 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am not a big fan of coffee (although I do drink it from time to time) or coffee beers but this is well done. It has a good dose of coffee bean flavor on the aroma and on the nose. In fact my only complaint is the bender qualities are overwhelmed by the coffee. I guess that is why it is a coffee beer but I would have liked to have seen a little more of the bender brown qualities emerge.

Body is a little thin and slightly acidic feeling.

If you like coffee beers you will most likely find this appealing. If you are looking for bender with subtle coffee notes you will be disappointed as this is a coffee bomb. (617 characters)

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company