1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Coffee BenderCoffee Bender

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,654 | Reviews: 748 | Show All Ratings:
RaulMondesi

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow... This dang sucker goes down easier than... (I'll let you fill in the blank, my children). But really though, it's smooth, roasty, there is a nice, subtle layer of richness... Raul feels like Scrooge McDuck diving into a pool of coffee beans only to come up with a coffee bender in one hand and Kate Middleton in the other.

Yep!

11-28-2013 23:43:59 | More by RaulMondesi
mfnmbvp

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

16 fl oz. can, with canned on date stamped on the bottom 11/13/2013. Ten days old, probably one of the freshest beers I've ever had. My first beer from Surly Brewing Co., as they have just reentered Illinois. Exponentially stoked to have this beer.

Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout St. James's Gate Dublin glass mug.

A - Aggressive pour conjures four to five fingers of big fluffy tan cappuccino looking head. Body pours a dark chestnut brown / ruby color when held to the light. Looks very nice.

S - Mouthwatering aromatics. Smells like a cup of delicious cold, freshly ground dark Guatemalan coffee, more than it does a beer. Dark bitter coffee bean roast and some earthiness. Smells amazing.

T - Taste follows in wake of the nose: beautiful, delicious, and authentic bitter dark coffee bean roast, and some dirty semi-herbal earthiness. Ridiculously delicious.

M - Feel is fairly light-bodied, smooth, and creamy, but high on the coffee bean bitterness, especially for 45 IBU.

Overall, this is probably hands down the best coffee beer I've tried as of yet. Packed with flavor, especially for being so light-bodied and with a fairly moderate 5.10% abv. Supremely authentic, a true breakfast beer if there ever was one, I am sooo glad these are now available to me, and I look forward to many more.

Surly Coffee Bender ---4.5/5

11-23-2013 21:11:50 | More by mfnmbvp
IPAdams

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours a dark brown with red hues, 1 finger creamy tan head that lingers for a little while and then recedes to a slight covering on top

Smell- Awesome. Smells just like a freshly opened bag of coffee beans. I get a bit of vanilla and licorice in the background.

Taste- First sip is like eating a coffee bean. I get some vanilla, dark chocolate and lactose as well. A slight bitterness, matches well with the flavor. I don't get much caramel or nutty flavors I would expect from a brown.

Mouthfeel- Somewhat thin. Carbonation was good but body lacked a little.

Overall- Nice beer. I'd like the flavor to have a bit more complexity to it and the body would be better if it was a bit thicker. Worth trying if you're a coffee lover.

11-22-2013 01:40:56 | More by IPAdams
Jas45678

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can into tulip, thanks to lurpy1

Pours nice dark brown with a small white head. Smell is coffee and coffee, hints of hazelnuts and vanilla. Taste is like the nose coffee, very nice coffee flavor that doesn't taste artificial. Medium body with lower carbonation that works well with this beer. Overall a very good beer, flavors work great together.A must try for coffee lovers.

11-20-2013 02:50:30 | More by Jas45678
richj1970

Alabama

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from can into tulip glass.

A: Pours a beautiful golden brown with one finger white head. Some nice lacing.

S: Iced coffee, caramel, malts.

T: Straight forward brown ale with nice coffee flavors. Taste is all coffee all the time.

M: Full bodied and nicely carbonated.

O: A classic example of a well executed brown ale, and the coffee only makes it that much better. Nice job Surly!

10-21-2013 00:09:44 | More by richj1970
BeardedAllen

4.86/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of Surly's best beers, in my opinion. This is the coffee drinker's choice in beer. Its wonderful mix of coffee and Ale give it a very distinguished taste. I've affectionately named this beer the Minnesota paper maker, because I'd often find myself sipping on one while writing long winded political science essays. The caffeine gets your mind going, while the smooth 5.1% get's you loosened up just enough to ramble, but not enough to get you Surly.

10-14-2013 17:56:41 | More by BeardedAllen
jbaker67

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear brown pour with a ruby hue and a one finger off white head. Aroma is 100% dark iced coffee. Taste is exactly as billed: brown ale and coffee. In the background are aromatic hops and a touch of smoke. Bitter cold coffee flavor lingers in the back of the mouth. It’s bitter but not astringent. I would have liked a touch more sweetness and mouthfeel, but that may just be personal preference.

09-18-2013 23:15:11 | More by jbaker67
jds16

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep reddish brown, pretty hazy. One finger head that lasts, ok lacing. Smell is dominated by coffee. Black coffee lovers, this is your beer. A nice sweet nutty aroma hides behind the coffee. I taste the coffee up front, but like a coffee with one of those hazelnut creamers poured into it. I can taste the nuttiness I look for in a brown ale, but it's definitely overpowered by the coffee. I love the flavor, but if you're looking for balance, you won't find much of it here. And I'm ok with that. Nice creamy mouthfeel makes this a great sipper.

Very enjoyable, and very flavorful. Clearly proves that you don't need an alcohol bomb to have big, bold flavors. A must for anyone who loves both coffee and beer.

09-10-2013 01:41:03 | More by jds16
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: A two.five finger head poured from the can into the english style pint glass. The foam a kahki color with good retension. As it fell into the glass it left a coat of lacing with only a few dry spots. The beer color is a very dark brown with reddish hues peaking through the edges. Moderate amount of haze.

S: Very strong upfront freshly brewed cold coffee nose on this ale. Some chocolate notes are detected as it warms up. No hop aroma or alcohol detected.

T: The flavor is consistent with the aroma. Strong coffee flavor and good quality, not to acidic and a nice dark roast. Nutty and toasted breadcrust malt flavors consistint with british malts. A moderate bitterness that balances the whole thing out.

M: Moderate body and lower alcohol make it very drinkable. No acrid or astringant textures coming through. Carbonation is also on the moderate side.

O: A full flavored, fresh smelling coffee, brown ale kept at a nice ABV to keep it very drinkable. I would gladly take this over many of the double/imperial/RIS Coffee stouts i've had.

09-07-2013 18:17:58 | More by guityler83
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep brown, with a light brown head, nice lacing

Smell is COFFEE, cream, hazelnut, ya it smells liking sticking you face in to a bag of coffee beans.

Taste is coffee, roasted nuts, hazelnut, toffee, coffee, coffee and and a little coffee in there to!

medium light mouthfeel, finishes like a bittering coffee.

Wow, never had a beer that had this much Coffee flavor before, it is delicious, I drink my coffee black so this beer floats my boat. If you do not like coffee steer clear of this beer, it is not like FBS where you could like the beer and not coffee.... If you do not like coffee I can garuntee you will hate this beer with a passion!

08-30-2013 22:36:57 | More by nickapalooza86
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a translucent ruby-brown color with a two-finger light cream colored head that reduces to a solid layer floating on top, no lace

S- big coffee punch right off, notes of espresso, hazelnut, reminiscent of day old coffee mixed with the cardboard drink holders like the ones found at Starbucks, bizarre. Also picking up a distinct sugary-creamer sweetness as well. Overall very aromatic

T- bitter roasted day old coffee, this beer tastes more like straight up black coffee than any other beer I've reviewed. I don't pick up the sweet creamy notes that was in the aroma, nor the nutty aspect as well. There are some roasted malty notes underlying, but for the most part it is straight up coffee, bone dry finish

M- medium body with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel with a light and silky bone-dry finish

O- The aroma on this beer is great, unfortunately the flavors weren't as complex. I like my coffee beers to be chocked full of complexities like FBS. However, if you are a coffee drinker it's worth a try, because that's exactly what it tastes like. I actually prefer regular Bender a bit more, with it focusing more on traditional brown ale flavors

08-22-2013 01:46:09 | More by Treyliff
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Special thanks for kjyost for sending this out west.

Brewed on June 6, 2013.

A: Pours a deep dark black-brown with 2 fingers of light tan head which slowly dissipates leaving a thin rim along the sides of the glass.

S: Rich, fresh roasted coffee together with rock sugar and cocoa powder.

T: Smooth and sweetened coffee with hints of chocolate and some nuttiness. Finishes clean and dry without any notes of bitterness.

M: Light and crisp with a higher amount of carbonation than I expected, but works out nicely.

O: Coffee, coffee and more coffee, sweet and intense without being acrid. This is the perfect accompaniment to a late brunch.

08-19-2013 03:02:43 | More by FondueVoodoo
twiggamortis420

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

16 oz can courtesy of clewis901 pours a hazed dark brown color with an ample cap of tan head. Decent retention and lace.

Nose is all coffee all the time - fresh roasted grocers grounds here.

Taste integrates the deliciousness of the Bender with a strong coffee flavor...but the coffee never seems bitter or over-the-top. Well done indeed. It is definitely a little one-dimensional compared to Bender, but still delicious. This might just be up there with FBS as one of the best breakfast beers ever. Personally, I like the Bender better, but I can see where serious coffee lovers would find this more to their liking.

08-15-2013 01:37:35 | More by twiggamortis420
xdtfx

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got to try this at a tasting which had focus on coffee infused beers. Served in a sample glass.

I am basing my rating purely on personal taste and my enjoyment of this beer, not of the style. Personally, I would not classify this beer as a Brown ale, at least from what I know of Brown ales.

As far as the aroma, straight up roasted black coffee. That is all I get. No hops, no malts, just an intense coffee aroma.

Taste follows the nose. Tastes like a more carbonated black iced coffee with a moderate to high bitterness as far as coffee beers goes. I am not going to say this is a bad thing. I dig coffee. I am not sure where the Brown base is at. Maybe hidden underneath the intense coffee is a little nuttiness, but I couldn't quite grasp it.

Overall, I don't think I have ever had a beer that has this much coffee flavor. If I tasted this blindly without knowing I was drinking a beer, I would not recognize it as such. I would classify this as a specialty beer for coffee lovers. Maybe I will swap out my morning coffee for this on weekday mornings working for the man.

07-28-2013 07:33:14 | More by xdtfx
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to kjyost for this.

Poured from a 16oz. can, canned on 06/06/13.

Appearance: Black-brown body, opaque as heck, nice lacing but retention is a bit average.

Smell: Intense mix of chocolate, coffee, hazelnut, cream. Strength of coffee really shines.

Taste: Rich coffee, lots of nuttiness, sweet hazelnut and grainy coffee.

Mouthfeel: Malty as all get out, very low bitterness.

Overall: Aroma nails it, flavor doesn`t quite live up. Tasty but not in my top coffee-flavored beers.

07-27-2013 02:37:20 | More by papat444
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Portion of a 16 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip. From two day old notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color. I didn't really get much head from my pour, just a creamy offwhite film with poor retention.

S: Pure black coffee. That's it. Still, this is as good as purely single-note brews can get.

T: Follows the aroma - which is to say it's pure black coffee. Luckily, the coffee isn't vegetal/stale, and the brown ale base does *just* enough to iron out any excess finishing bitterness. Simplistic, but very enjoyable.

M: It's light, crisp, and rather dry...just like coffee!

O: It is what it is - carbonated black coffee with a splash of beer. It's so simple, yet so unbelievably satisfying. Those looking for a more balanced approach to a coffee beer would be better served by FBS or Wake-N-Bake, though.

07-08-2013 00:32:15 | More by ThisWangsChung
dar482

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The color is a brown color with some light that comes through.

The aroma is freaking huge. It literally smells seriously like ice coffee. It’s seriously very huge, but also some toasted notes. Literally like walking into an espresso café. Just huge on the coffee.

The flavor follows with a coffee flavor. It’s almost like a British brown ale with that has been simply mixed with black coffee. But then it drops off the tongue pretty quickly.

Despite the wonderful aroma and flavor, this beer I guess could benefit from being slightly bigger. Not like Victory at Sea, but in the middle. I could imagine this beer blowing my mind with some bigger malt backbone. So in that sense, it’s disappointing slightly, but at 5.1% ABV, I couldn’t imagine a beer really doing coffee in a brown ale better for its ABV.

07-02-2013 02:48:49 | More by dar482
Immortale25

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an Elysian Brewing Co. pint glass. Bottom of can says Canned On 04/25/13.

A- Pours a medium brown color with a 3/4 inch dark tan head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Thick cobwebs of lacing line the glass.

S- Pure black dark roast coffee with a little brown sugar, vanilla and chocolate sprinkled in.

T- Taste is much the same as the aroma with just straight espresso-style coffee coming in and not much else. Just a tad sweet, but the roasty bitterness reigns supreme. Char aftertaste.

M- A bit thin, though that's what I was expecting since it's simply a brown ale. Medium carbonation with a fullish body.

O- Finally, a coffee beer that actually tastes and smells like black iced coffee with no frills or extra flavors. Very drinkable to boot. Not my favorite coffee beer thus far (since I like my coffee with cream and sugar) but man, do they nail that unadulterated coffee flavor.

07-02-2013 00:24:53 | More by Immortale25
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

COFFEE!!! Man, I love coffee. Coffee beers are fickle for me, but this one is supposed to be great. I landed a few Surly beers in a trade, including this one and the Furious, which is also on the list. He also sent a can of their Over Rated… which is quite over rated. It's a "West Coast style IPA" and doesn't taste like a West Coast IPA at all. Anyway, stoked to try this one. I like coffee, I love beer, and I hope that both of these combine here for an enjoyable beer drinking experience! Let's go.

In the Glass: It is deep dark brown/black in the glass, and appears almost flat. No lace here, and hardly any head at all. Coffee doesn't have head, so maybe this has more coffee than I am used to. I will say most coffee beers are weak and rarely taste like coffee. Speaking of coffee, I used our Randall Jr. the other night and made a coffee pilsner. It was fun. I used espresso beans. Anyway, I am getting impatient. Let's drink the Coffee Bender!!!

Nose: Um, coffee? This isn't beer. This is coffee. Did they can the wrong stuff? Holy crap, this smells incredible. I mean, seriously… not getting any booze here, and it smells like a nice roasted cup of Joe. Man, I hope this tastes like this smells. What a great aroma.

Flavor: If this doesn't taste like coffee, I am going to be sad. It's too cold, but holy crap that's a big flavor. It doesn't have a lot of coffee flavor, but the finish is straight burnt coffee… almost espresso. I would almost like to try this warm if not hot. I don't drink coffee hot, but I have been drinking it warm.

There are too many bubbles, but there is a ton of dark roasted coffee flavors here, again in the finish. Also, swish this around in your mouth a little. Then the coffee flavors REALLY explode. When I swish, the flavor just overtakes my palate and leaves me completely satisfied. Well done, Surly. Also, I love how they got their name. Fun!

Mouthfeel: At first, there are way too many bubbles. I am also drinking this too cold. However, as it sits the coffee flavor really opens up. Hang on… I need to text Jazz about this beer. Be right back.

OK, back. I get a ton of bubbles up front, but as it slides down the flavors really start to open up, and the beer becomes quite drinkable. I would love to see this on cask somewhere. I mean, it doesn't come to Arizona at all… but a flat somewhat chilled version of this would really please my palate.

Aftertaste: More coffee! Not as intense as a cup of coffee, but still a nice lingering coffee flavor. The beer is so good, I don't want to let the beer sit on my palate.

Sorry, I was on the phone. We are having AC issues. Back to the beer. As I was on the phone, the beer is really starting to heat up nicely. The flavors are becoming more balanced and the coffee is becoming more defined. Jazz also replied to my text. He called the beer, "Stupid dumb good." We have his approval.

This beer has my approval, too. I am sure Sheryl likes this. She better. Man, this is good. If you like beer, grab a can. If you like coffee, grab a can. If you like beer AND coffee, grab a case. It's worth it to the last drop. Cheers, coffee craft beer drinkers. Yummy!

06-30-2013 04:08:58 | More by rickyleepotts
oN3xM

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - A pretty deep black body with an inch of tan foam resting atop. The head is present throughout the entire pint and leaves a beautiful lacing after every sip.

S - It goes without saying, but huge bitter coffee notes dominate the overall aroma. The coffee that Surly used smells wonderful: robust, roasty espresso-like scents.

T - It's like taking a cold, carbonated espresso shot. It's hard to taste other flavors due to the very dominant coffee taste.I drank this over the course of an hour and the warmer it got, the more and more it tasted like heavy black coffee. Very tasty.

M - It leaves that bitter feeling in the back of your throat that you get after an espresso shot. Not a whole lot of carbonation, so it goes down quite smoothly. The body is incredible heavy and thick (think latte or mocha thick).

O - A wonderful beer that manages to blend coffee and beer together in a delicious way. If you're a coffee drinker, specifically espresso drinker, this beer will leave you very happy. Highly recommended. Cheers.

06-13-2013 02:42:56 | More by oN3xM
falloutsnow

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From: France 44 dot com
Date: Canned 2013-04-14
Glass: Standard US pint glass

Rich, coffee-heavy, with modest accents of caramel, burnt toast, and roasted barley, this is a good breakfast beer or after-dinner drink. The coffee is, however, overly strong and creates a somewhat limited range of flavors and aromas, rendering the beer somewhat one-dimensional. I would probably not seek this out again given the difficulty in obtaining it - it's easier to just make a dark cup of coffee and add some sweetener and ice.

Pours a 2.5cm tall head of beige foam, small to medium sized bubbles, with above average retention, lasting over two minutes as it fades to a thick ring around the glass with a thin residual head resting atop the body. Good lacing, in many patterns. Body is a transparent, deep amber color, light bringing out strong red hues. Carbonation is visible rising from the bottom of the glass in moderate number and velocity.

Aroma of coffee grounds, slight chocolate-caramel malt influences, and an iron-like scent rounding things out. There's truth in the name here: there is definitely coffee in this beer, but the exclusion of much else. To me, it comes across as a bit one-dimensional.

Tasting opens with sweetish coffee, black with a substantial sweetness and touch of cream to it, somewhat stale. Mild roasted barley, burnt toast, and vanilla round out the edges. Mid-palate is like black coffee and grounds, acrid bitterness, light cumin, roasted barley, and burnt toast. Back of palate finds more black coffee, coffee grounds, acridness from coffee, light chocolate, caramel, and vanilla. Aftertaste of black coffee with marginal chocolate and caramel malt.

Beer is medium to medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium intensity, leading to a mouthfeel of light foam and general smoothness. Closes with medium dryness and astringency from coffee, with little residual stickiness.

06-12-2013 14:52:15 | More by falloutsnow
AltBock

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16oz. can with a picture of a coffee mug with the Surly logo shooting off into space. The back of the can has a bright red bag with coffee beans jumping out of the bag. This bag of beans has a description of the beer on it. The bottom of the can is where you'll find a born on date.

When poured into a Cigar City pint glass, this coffee beer was not surprisingly coffee black in color. Of course that's what this beer wants you to believe. When its held up into the light, I saw that this beer was more of a dark cola brown with a burgundy center. Cool color either way. On top was a 1/4 to 1/2 inch light tan colored head of foam. This head of foam stuck around for a few seconds before it receded into a small string of rings along the edge and a spot or two of lace around the glass.

This beer smells exactly like a coffee house when they're grinding the fresh coffee beans. It's that good! Behind the rich thick roasted coffee wall was a little roasted malt, a pinch of dark chocolate, and a quick whiff of caramel. It's one of those straight to the point aromas. It's says I'm brewed with coffee so don't expect a wide variety in the aroma. Hope you like the scent of coffee!

Did it taste like coffee? Well..of course it did. The nice strong aroma got my tastebuds prepared for a big strong taste of roasted coffee. The coffee presence in the taste was lower than what it was in the aroma. The roasted coffee beans weren't the same quality as they were in the taste. The taste started off with the coffee beans. That's not surprising. Quickly following the coffee was the roasted malt. At some times, the malt character was bigger than the coffee character. After the malt had their fun, the beer finishes up with dark chocolate and a subtle taste of caramel.

This was a medium bodied coffee brown ale with a good level of carbonation and a dry roasted coffee aftertaste. The coffee taste in the aftertaste was on the weak side. It used most of its energy in the aroma, tried to out shine the malt in the taste, but it was tired in the mouthfeel. Other than the coffee taste, there was a little dark chocolate and roasted malt. This dry aftertaste will linger on the roof of your mouth for a while.

My tastebuds hated my sense of smell. My nose was the one that got the most delicious coffee out of this beer. Despite that, this was still a pretty good coffee Brown Ale. I'd drink it again if given the opportunity again. I know my nose would love it if I got another can.

06-04-2013 00:21:28 | More by AltBock
Axnjxn

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Purchased in DC at CT Ave Wine & Liquor. Canned on 3/29/13 and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a brown coffee color with a 1.5 inch beige head. very nice looking pour . 4.5

smell is...COFFEE! we've got a super strong coffee scent here. just as i expected 4.5

taste is roasted iced coffee. this almost doesnt even taste like beer. not exactly sure how to take that. being a lover of coffee, i enjoy this, but if you arent a fan of coffee youd absolutely hate it. 3.75

mouthfeel - extremely easy to drink this one. medium body and medium carbonation. absolutely no bitterness or alcohol present. tastes like straight up coffee. 4.5

overall this is more like drinking an iced coffee than a beer. so with that being said its very hard to rate. bottom line is dont even approach this if you arent a big fan of coffee, because you will not enjoy it whatsoever. if on the other hand you enjoy a good cup of joe, youll enjoy this one.

05-27-2013 14:40:26 | More by Axnjxn
joetheyounger

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got some fresh cans of this beast. I cracked one in Vegas in the morning in my room because there was no coffee maker present. Damn this stuff is good. Just like drinking straight up black coffee. Thin mouthfeel, which makes it seem more like an iced coffee drink than a beer, which is kinda cool. One of the best brown ales i've had!

05-15-2013 19:55:23 | More by joetheyounger
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz. can purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, canned on 3/29/13, poured into a FFFs Teku long-stemmed glass, drank 6/11/13 over an hour.

A: 4.25 - dark brown-black coloration, minimal clarity (can't see or read through), yellow-brown one finger head quickly dissipates into subtle glass lacing, little alcohol legs

S: 4.5 - impressive Kona coffee notes predominate in the aroma; to be honest, I don't get much else in the nose but that's fine considering that that I was mostly looking big coffee notes

T: 4.75 - lots of black coffee bitterness on the front of the tongue, but, as it settles in, I pick up lots of iced coffee qualities with a slight residual sweetness; one of the most complex tasting coffee beers that I have tasted

M: 4.25 - light-to-medium bodied, moderate alcohol, very soft carbonation

O: 4.5 - another great beer from one of my favorite breweries; this is a wonderful blend of coffee and beer that settles into a really complex aroma and flavor profile that's as smooth as some of the best iced coffees; I find this beer really refreshing, and I cannot think of another coffee beer that fits this profile; well done as always, Surly!

05-12-2013 02:13:37 | More by MNishCT77