Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Coffee BenderCoffee Bender

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006)

jjf3792, Jul 19, 2013

jderosia603, Jul 09, 2013

CCutch, Jul 09, 2013

HardWater, Jul 08, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Portion of a 16 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip. From two day old notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color. I didn't really get much head from my pour, just a creamy offwhite film with poor retention.

S: Pure black coffee. That's it. Still, this is as good as purely single-note brews can get.

T: Follows the aroma - which is to say it's pure black coffee. Luckily, the coffee isn't vegetal/stale, and the brown ale base does *just* enough to iron out any excess finishing bitterness. Simplistic, but very enjoyable.

M: It's light, crisp, and rather dry...just like coffee!

O: It is what it is - carbonated black coffee with a splash of beer. It's so simple, yet so unbelievably satisfying. Those looking for a more balanced approach to a coffee beer would be better served by FBS or Wake-N-Bake, though.

ThisWangsChung, Jul 08, 2013

csmartin6, Jul 06, 2013

pjhalifax, Jul 02, 2013

bismarksays, Jul 02, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The color is a brown color with some light that comes through.

The aroma is freaking huge. It literally smells seriously like ice coffee. It’s seriously very huge, but also some toasted notes. Literally like walking into an espresso café. Just huge on the coffee.

The flavor follows with a coffee flavor. It’s almost like a British brown ale with that has been simply mixed with black coffee. But then it drops off the tongue pretty quickly.

Despite the wonderful aroma and flavor, this beer I guess could benefit from being slightly bigger. Not like Victory at Sea, but in the middle. I could imagine this beer blowing my mind with some bigger malt backbone. So in that sense, it’s disappointing slightly, but at 5.1% ABV, I couldn’t imagine a beer really doing coffee in a brown ale better for its ABV.

dar482, Jul 02, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an Elysian Brewing Co. pint glass. Bottom of can says Canned On 04/25/13.

A- Pours a medium brown color with a 3/4 inch dark tan head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Thick cobwebs of lacing line the glass.

S- Pure black dark roast coffee with a little brown sugar, vanilla and chocolate sprinkled in.

T- Taste is much the same as the aroma with just straight espresso-style coffee coming in and not much else. Just a tad sweet, but the roasty bitterness reigns supreme. Char aftertaste.

M- A bit thin, though that's what I was expecting since it's simply a brown ale. Medium carbonation with a fullish body.

O- Finally, a coffee beer that actually tastes and smells like black iced coffee with no frills or extra flavors. Very drinkable to boot. Not my favorite coffee beer thus far (since I like my coffee with cream and sugar) but man, do they nail that unadulterated coffee flavor.

Immortale25, Jul 02, 2013

Lare453, Jun 30, 2013

tommyguz, Jun 30, 2013

nesarebad, Jun 30, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

COFFEE!!! Man, I love coffee. Coffee beers are fickle for me, but this one is supposed to be great. I landed a few Surly beers in a trade, including this one and the Furious, which is also on the list. He also sent a can of their Over Rated… which is quite over rated. It's a "West Coast style IPA" and doesn't taste like a West Coast IPA at all. Anyway, stoked to try this one. I like coffee, I love beer, and I hope that both of these combine here for an enjoyable beer drinking experience! Let's go.

In the Glass: It is deep dark brown/black in the glass, and appears almost flat. No lace here, and hardly any head at all. Coffee doesn't have head, so maybe this has more coffee than I am used to. I will say most coffee beers are weak and rarely taste like coffee. Speaking of coffee, I used our Randall Jr. the other night and made a coffee pilsner. It was fun. I used espresso beans. Anyway, I am getting impatient. Let's drink the Coffee Bender!!!

Nose: Um, coffee? This isn't beer. This is coffee. Did they can the wrong stuff? Holy crap, this smells incredible. I mean, seriously… not getting any booze here, and it smells like a nice roasted cup of Joe. Man, I hope this tastes like this smells. What a great aroma.

Flavor: If this doesn't taste like coffee, I am going to be sad. It's too cold, but holy crap that's a big flavor. It doesn't have a lot of coffee flavor, but the finish is straight burnt coffee… almost espresso. I would almost like to try this warm if not hot. I don't drink coffee hot, but I have been drinking it warm.

There are too many bubbles, but there is a ton of dark roasted coffee flavors here, again in the finish. Also, swish this around in your mouth a little. Then the coffee flavors REALLY explode. When I swish, the flavor just overtakes my palate and leaves me completely satisfied. Well done, Surly. Also, I love how they got their name. Fun!

Mouthfeel: At first, there are way too many bubbles. I am also drinking this too cold. However, as it sits the coffee flavor really opens up. Hang on… I need to text Jazz about this beer. Be right back.

OK, back. I get a ton of bubbles up front, but as it slides down the flavors really start to open up, and the beer becomes quite drinkable. I would love to see this on cask somewhere. I mean, it doesn't come to Arizona at all… but a flat somewhat chilled version of this would really please my palate.

Aftertaste: More coffee! Not as intense as a cup of coffee, but still a nice lingering coffee flavor. The beer is so good, I don't want to let the beer sit on my palate.

Sorry, I was on the phone. We are having AC issues. Back to the beer. As I was on the phone, the beer is really starting to heat up nicely. The flavors are becoming more balanced and the coffee is becoming more defined. Jazz also replied to my text. He called the beer, "Stupid dumb good." We have his approval.

This beer has my approval, too. I am sure Sheryl likes this. She better. Man, this is good. If you like beer, grab a can. If you like coffee, grab a can. If you like beer AND coffee, grab a case. It's worth it to the last drop. Cheers, coffee craft beer drinkers. Yummy!

rickyleepotts, Jun 30, 2013