2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coffee Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Coffee BenderCoffee Bender

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,662 | Reviews: 748 | Show All Ratings:
mdfb79

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - A very dark brown color with about an inch of foam and and moderate carbonation. Looks similar to Bender, but not as much head.

s - Obviously a heavy coffee smell, with hints of chocolate and roasted malts. It really smells like smelling a bag of coffee beans.

t - Again, tastes strongly of coffee, as well as roasted malts. Also had a little bit of toffee/cream taste to it.

m - Light body but very carbonated. Smooth and creamy feel to it.

d - The can really doesn't like about this one; it really tastes just like an iced coffee. I liked the creamy coffee taste it gave off and the smell is one of straight coffee. Definitely look forward to getting more of this stuff.

02-03-2010 01:49:52 | More by mdfb79
kojevergas

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

Served on-draught at a bar in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes. Serving vessel was a Surly Mug. Cost was $5.00 USD.

A: No real head at all. Solid black colour. Mildly appealing.

Sm: Coffee, mocha, and alcohol. A mild strength aroma.

T: Coffee, light chocolate and vanilla, and buried caramel. Not horribly complex, but balanced and decently built.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A bit too thick. Doesn't really suit the flavours; it should be coarse and dry.

Dr: Not really drinkable. More of a tame sipper, which is inexcusable at this low an ABV. I wouldn't have it again, but it's okay for the style. Coffee beer fanatics might be the only ones that will truly like this. Give me a Black Damnation II Mocha Bomb any day of the week, but leave this one be.

12-19-2011 03:35:01 | More by kojevergas
rhoadsrage

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

(Served in a nonic)
A- This beer has a dense dark body with a deep amber highlights showing at the base. There is a thick light tan head that last and last and a few tiny bubbles stuck to the glass.
S- The fresh espresso roasted beans have a nice black malt aroma to support them and a nice graham note that grows as the beer warms.
T- This beer has a rich cold coffee bean flavor with chocolate and cream finish with a nice light tangy note. There is a pine hop flavor that lingers just a bit and blends well with the coffee.
M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat or astringency.
D- This beer is like eating chocolate covered espresso beans and the hops let you know that there is a great beer base underneath. Delicious.

03-10-2010 03:52:56 | More by rhoadsrage
Zorro

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Clear brown colored beer with a short yellowish brown colored head.

Smells of chocolate and coffee with coffee being the stronger scent. Pretty much the scent of Central or Southern American coffee medium roasted. Some lighter scents mostly vanilla.

Starts out semi dry and medium roast coffee. Pretty much doesn't develop much beyond the initial flavor. Stays mostly coffee soda in flavor.

Mouthfeel is average.

An OK beer but not a complicated one. An OK sample but not a mainstay beer.

12-04-2009 02:32:13 | More by Zorro
Wasatch

Utah

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks goes out to Buebie for this brew.

Poured into my Surly glass a very nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy tan head, with lots of thick/creamy sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with a good hint of coffee. The taste is bitter, malty, very nice touch of coffee notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, another excellent brew from Surly.

02-28-2009 22:47:03 | More by Wasatch
corby112

From notes:

Pours a very dark chestnut brown color with a two and a half finger frothy beige head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves large chunks of soapy mocha lacing behind.

Roasted malt aroma with tons of fresh ground coffee bean along with hints of chocolate, caramel, hazelnut and toffee in the nose.

Medium bodied with some tight carbonation up front that smooths out mid-palate. Very roasty wiu a huge coffee bean presence but this beer is never to acrid or dry. There is planety of rich chocolate maltiness as well as some caramel, toffee and nut to balance things out. Well balanced, complex, delicious and very quaffable. Recommended, especially for breakfast!

01-19-2011 02:23:24 | More by corby112
ppoitras

4.13/5  rDev -1%

16oz can obtained in trade with Grbdg. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" tan head over the cloudy reddish brown brew. Head falls gradually, with heavy and leggy lacing. Aroma is rich coffee and ample sweetness. Taste follows the nose, more acrid from the coffee, closes with evident hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is reasonably smooth, and drinkability is good as well. Nice one.

04-19-2009 23:03:07 | More by ppoitras
woodychandler

4.63/5  rDev +11%

The Surly portion of The CANQuest (TM) soldiers on, thanks to Einweizenbitte and Uncle Felonious Monk! I CAN't believe that this is approaching 400! Thanks to all!

From the CAN: "Beer for a mug, from a [CAN]."; "Fresh brewed, keep it cool!"; "It's never too early to get Surly! Coffee Bender refreshes like an iced-coffee, is as aromatic as a bag of whole beans and satisfies like your favorite beer. Utilizing the latest technology, the Surly brew team has developed a cold extraction process that results in intense coffee aromatics and flavor - bringing together two of our favorite beverages. Your only dilemma will be whether to finish your day or start it with a Coffee Bender."

Okay, first my take on coffee. I am a Navy retiree and on my first ship, the USS Fulton (AS-11), I was made the Deck Department supply and admin "queen", and my duties included ensuring that coffee was going 24-7. I initially despised the stuff, but would add copious amounts of creamer and sugar when I needed a boost. One day, my salty Senior Chief growled at me, "Queenie, when are you gonna drink coffee, instead of having a hot milkshake?" I had no answer until one day when we were at General Quarters/battle stations for hours and sandwiches and a CANnister of coffee were delivered to us, but no accoutrements! I choked down a cup, but quickly realized that I needed to wean off of anything but black if I was going to hang in for four years. Later, while an auxiliary cop on shore duty, I became a cop stereotype - never without coffee and usually with a donut. After joining the USS Normandy (CG-60) as a plankowner, there were many of us with 55-gallon drums with a handle welded on walking around. Go-go juice was a way of life. After I retired, I swore off of both coffee and donuts, but slowly, I have been sucked back in to the point that I drink at least two big cups every day before Noon.

Crack & Glug time: Two quick fingers' worth of thick, deep-tan head with great retention and a wafting odor of coffee greeted me on the pour. Color was a deep, rich brown with ruby highlights. Nose was a knockout - it was like walking into Starbucks and taking a deep breath. I am not a big fan of their coffee, but it does smell deelish! I had some coffee earlier this AM, cowboy-style (warmed up in the microwave from yesterday), and I wanted to see how this would measure up. Mouthfeel was creamy with a VERY roasty coffee flavor up front, followed by a dark chocolate bitterness behind. Wow! Iced coffee was NEVER this good. Finish was bitter, I mean good, coffee bitter, but not for the faint of heart. Holy heart palpitations, Batman! I was more jittery than a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. Zounds! More, please, sir! F**k Joose or Four Loko, this is all the caffeine and alcohol you'll need.

11-13-2010 16:00:32 | More by woodychandler
stakem

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to mothman for the opportunity to try this one.

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a dark brown but when held to the light it displays a clear amber red color. More than 2 fingers of fluffy tanned head sit atop this brew and receed leaving patches of lace about the glassware.

The aroma of this beer slaps you with the scent of coffee beans straight out the gate. Mingled in with the coffee is the smell of sweet chocolate, citrus and floral hops. There is a super faint twang or sour note about it that makes the smell of the coffee seem more "bright."

The taste of this brew has the coffee character right upfront. It has a decent citrusy sweet hop bitterness to back the coffee character. Just like the nose led on, there is an extra bit of twang in there that doesn't directly seem like a contribution of hops but it is provides both a citrus note that also comes across a bit tart. Either there is a flavor of hop coming out in this brew that I am not familiar with or a bit of sourmashing was done to this brew that adds a layer of complexity to this brew that really accents the coffee character. Regardless, it works and I like it. Other flavors of dark malt and roasted grain are throughout the profile of this brew.

The feel of this beer is medium with a moderate level of carbonation. Long lingering aftertate of coffee and dark grain bitterness is left on the tongue that at times comes across like chocolate but mostly coffee. It also finishes with some citrus hop character and a bit drying that makes you want to sip this brew more and more. Overall a wonderful brew. Being a coffee lover, I thought this beer was fantastic.

08-25-2010 01:13:22 | More by stakem
Kegatron

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a deep clear amber with several foamy fingers of light mocha colored foam. Sturdy 1/2 finger of creamy retention leaves some massive sticky lacing back. Good look here. The aroma is roasted coffee and sugary sweet smelling malts, with a touch of astringency and floral hops in the back. Solid balance between the java and sweeter notes here in the nose.

The taste is a nice silky blend of coffee character and some sweet malt notes of toasted caramel. Nice evenness between the bitterness of the coffee and the more sweeter character of the Brown Ale. This definitely finishes more on the sweetened side, with the malts lingering on the lips for a bit. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied with a nice mellow creaminess to the proceedings which makes for some very easy drinking.

The mocha notes in this seemed a limited more muted than when I had previously had this from a growler, allowing more of the Brown Ale qualaties to come out. Never the less, this is still a great coffee fix, complete with an awesome feel and super easy drinkibility. Glad this one is in cans now.

05-21-2009 12:08:35 | More by Kegatron
weeare138

Thanks to Josh for this one...
Appears a light brown with a small, tan head that quickly fades out into a mild cap.
Smell is of coffee beans, and sweet, ripe fruity, yeastiness.
Taste is of the obvious coffee goodness with a touch of mocha pulling through.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sugary, with a bitter coffee ground sting being felt along the palate during the finish.

05-04-2009 20:57:56 | More by weeare138
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Had on tap at the OBF today. Was looking forward to this beer, so came armed with pencil and paper, and bought the full glass.

The beer pours a dark brown color with very good head retention and lacing. The nose on this beer is really impressive, with a huge aroma of (surprise, surprise) coffee. It really drowns out pretty much anything else.

On the palate this beer is a surprise. I appreciate the fact that the abv. is low, but the flavors on this beer are anything but impressive. The one dimensional flavors come across as light and disappointing, smacking of cheap coffee dumped into some boring brown ale. There's almost a grainiess/grittiness, from what tastes a bit like coffee grounds. I'm not the least bit impressed. A friend I was with made a very good comment I thought; noting that it tasted as if Surly used a very low grade of coffee making this beer. Texture is light and almost watery, and drinkability is unimpressive. You can tell the abv. is low, thankfully, but the flavors are so disjointed, it's really no fun drinking this beer. It really tastes like an uninspired brown ale with some cheap coffee grounds thrown in.

After drinking a can of furious last week, this beer more then any other was something I was looking forward to at the OBF. All the more reason it was the disappointment of the festival. Maybe it just didn't travel well from Minn. to Portland. Oh well...

07-26-2008 04:24:38 | More by johnmichaelsen
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

16 oz can, big thanks to oakbluff for throwing me a few of these.

Pours a slightly murky dark reddish orange, light brown hues, very thick tan head forms, drops a ton of lace chunks on the glass, slowly settles down to a thin layer, good retention, looks nice. Smell is yummy, caramel, toast, floral and grapefruit hops, nice and earthy, light coffee roast, fruit, pineapple, biscuity malt, coffee plays real nice with the normal Bender. Taste is just as nice, caramel and biscuit, dry toasty malts, light chocolate, coffee, grapefruit and pineapple although not as pronounced as the aroma, earthy, light bit of sour fruit, more coffee roast, nicely balanced finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, very smooth and drinkable. Still think I prefer the regular Bender, but the coffee gives this a pretty cool dimension, just enough to make it interesting. Really nice stuff, thanks Scotty!

03-19-2009 01:00:53 | More by Viggo
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown and red color, great carbonation. Massive coffee aroma, the biggest ever, totally cannot imagine it being possible to be any stronger in a beer. Did I mention this is prolly my favorite coffee beer? Did I mention this is prolly my favorite brown ale?

Taste, more coffee, like so much, as if the ratio is just straight 50% premium high end coffee, and 50% Surly (which is always high end). Its pretty simple. Coffee and beer. I don't drink coffee, but I'll have this stuff any morning. This stuff is even better than Breakfast Stout in the am. Yeah, there's a degree of chocolate malt and decent bitterness, but this is all about the coffee.

This is the best brown ale by a longshot in my book.

11-06-2010 21:57:23 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Bighuge

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark ruby body. Fluffy brown head has great retention. Lacing is quite full. Nice mix of roasted malts and coffee on the nose. Coffee is the domineering aroma as it should be. The flavor is very nicely integrated. I love the Bender, and even though this has a heavy coffee influence on the buds, the Bender traits are still perceptible. Almost like a coffee milkshake. Nice creamy body and light carbonation. Quite drinkable. A good beer breakfast or desert. I can only think of 2 coffee beers that I've liked better, Bell's Java Stout and Central Waters Coffee Stout.

02-11-2009 03:35:27 | More by Bighuge
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to ahalloin for hooking me up with this. I've been wanting to try this brew for some time.

Served into a pint glass.

A: bubbly like a coca-cola with a nice head and good lacing

S: coffee, obviously, but not as much as I hoped for and expected. I'm gonna try another can as soon as I can and see if I get the same result. It makes me feel like I'm in Starbucks.

T: Creamy iced coffee. Again, I feel like I'm in Starbucks. This is seriously tasty. You have to be a coffee drinker to really appreciate this one. Super smooth and creamy, I just wish it had more coffee.

M: nice mix of smooth with crisp carbonation. I wonder if the can contributed to that.

D: Honestly, I could drink this with breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. This is refreshing iced coffee beer. If you like coffee and beer, this is your session beer.

01-29-2010 01:38:21 | More by Huhzubendah
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

The brother and I shared this one... Awesome.. Received this one in a surprise box from Kbeals... Just amazing.

Pours with a 1" nice tan head.. pretty good drapes of lacing with the entire glass.. the brew is actually NOT black.. instead just a deep brown with beautiful dark garnet highlites when held to a light.

Aromas can go a long way to jogging forgotten memories.. Coffee Bender immediately takes me back two decades to my first hunting trips in PA. My Pappy DeShong with all of his hunting buddies sitting at Johnnies Diner in McConnellsburg. Firm, bright, yet dark coffee before the smells of breakfast ever made it into the air... The coffee is the only thing that is present and I am okay with it... just near perfect... Smells amazing.

Flavor has all the abundant coffee notes with (if I try) hints of dark toast and dry roasted nuts.. minor bits of cocoa.. but forget about everything but the coffee beans..

I am an occasional coffee drinker... maybe 2 times a week.. but this brew is better than any cup of joe that I've had in months... maybe ever.

Very nice medium/lite mouthfeel with lite carbonation.. wonderful.

Thanks a bunch Kevin.... I've had this a couple of times before, but I suspect never as fresh and never when I had time to really contemplate. Thanks for my walk down memory lane.

4/4.5/4.5/4/4

10-20-2010 06:32:27 | More by JohnGalt1
smakawhat

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Can is dated April 12th 2011.

A very large off brown head, that is very light tan. Head doesn't stay as long as it's Bender sibling, but also has some large bubbles. Body is considerably darker than regular bender but almost comparable with a walnut brown body and some nice red hues. Great lacing while drinking and finishing with lots of ring stick! Regardless it still looks great.

What a great nose on this thing! Coffee! Big time but more so, it's as if the fresh beans have just been ground! I get that sense brewing and grinding my own beans in the morning and this is it right here! Not much else to speak of, but I'll take this in spades!

Taste, fantastic. Great coffee flavor with just a hint of heat, gives that sensation of fresh brew. Finish is identical and feel to regular bender with a prickly carbonation. This is even creamy feeling and tasting as well, just flat out fantastic.

This is morning breakfast beer right here, lots of great fresh brewed morning coffee without a giant big stout like body. Superior win right out of the gate.

05-22-2011 21:19:33 | More by smakawhat
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Shared a can of this courtesy of Grant. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours a brownish/black with little head, but nice color. Nice big coffee aroma, quite fresh smelling, and earthy and a little vinous. More lively coffee makes an early appearance in the taste, slightly sweetened. Very balanced, and this is coffee black, done well. Very smooth and only slightly sweet. Very nice, and very full flavored for the very reasonable abv.

05-05-2009 01:58:12 | More by Georgiabeer
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Review #200 for me.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Color is a dark carmel brown, slightly dark ruby. There is a tan head with fades of light yellow in it. Not a very large head, but good lace rings.

Aroma is like a coffee shop. Lots of rich coffee aromas. A roasted smell with a lot of malts. Very good.

Taste is pretty light for a dark colored beer as this. It tastes like dark coffee meets beer. Definitely mainly malts. Amazing, if you enjoy coffee.

Mouthfeel is simply refreshing. Smooth and creamy. Ends with a super-clean aftertaste. Good carbonation.

Overall, amazing and easy to drink. I definitely want more surly. I highly recommend this beer, as it is all-around amazing.

03-30-2009 19:34:14 | More by mothman
dbrauneis

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear very dark brown bordering on black in color with some dark amber highlights when held up to the light and moderate amounts of visible carbonation near the surface at the edges of the glass. The beer has a two finger tall creamy tan head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of freshly roasted coffee beans with some lighter hints of roasted malts.

T: Similar to the smell, the flavor of this beer is dominated by freshly brewed coffee. There is a light amount of sweetness in the taste initially with the bitterness of coffee grounds in the finish (light lingering bitterness).

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: As an avid coffee drinker (and lover of coffee + coffee flavored things - also, Guatemalan coffee is one of my favorites), I find this beer to be extremely enjoyable. The combination of great flavors along with the lighter body make this beer easy to drink. This beer is definitely sessionable and one that I would thoroughly enjoy drinking many of in a session. Not sure if there is any caffeine in this beer but it almost seems to give a little buzz.

08-04-2012 18:38:30 | More by dbrauneis
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Brown-black with a light tan head, some retention, good lacing.

S: Big coffee aroma with hints of nuts.

T: Coffee, nuts & roasted grain. Good bitterness.

M: Well-attenuated moderate body.

D: It's alright, but not a knock-out like some of the Surly brews.

06-14-2009 17:34:30 | More by Derek
dirtylou

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

16oz can, grabbed a 4-pack on a recent pass through Rochester

appearance: served in imperial pint glass - very dark mahogany body, creamy tan head with decent retention.

smell: lots of coffee, roasted malts, nice bitterness present from the coffee, chocolate covered coffee beans

taste: comes at you like a nice bold iced coffee (with alcohol), chocolate covered espresso beans, slight bitterness, light roasted malt,a little woody, dry chocolate. very nice beer, but i think i'll give the edge to Central Waters Coffeehouse

mouthfeel: light bitterness, dry finish

drinkability: good

07-23-2010 01:12:19 | More by dirtylou
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

This one was shared by StayWhatYouAre2 with beeruser, funkydelic, 67couple, others, and myself at a recent tasting graciously hosted by beeruser! Served from can into a Duvel Parra tulip. Poured a deep dark brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, cream, coffee, and subtle caramel. The flavor was of roasted malt, coffee, subtle caramel, and cream. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a very good brew. I had been wanting to try this one for quite some time and finally got the chance. I was not disappointed at all in this one. I don't even drink coffee and loved this thing. Can't imagine how much more I would have enjoyed it had I been a coffee drinker. Really worth trying and the effort to get your hands on it. Nice job Surly!

08-26-2011 15:10:00 | More by thagr81us
tavernjef

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Deepest, darkest of brown can get without going completely black and a low ember of light at the bottom like a dieing fire. Densely packed frothy foam of a solid sandy brown tan hue grows up to about a finger high and keeps a bubbly muffin top of skim always present. Lots of lacing in spotted sheeting grazes the glass.

Aroma of dry cocoa, dry oats, and a feathery roast of creamed cold-pressed coffee. A bit different from when I've pleasurely drank this on the tap as it has a stronger coffee presense on the tap. Here, from the can, its dryness is fairly enjoyable and complex.

Taste is a solid quick tang of roast and backed there after with a semi dry and oaty sweetness in the middle. Coffee bitterness and burnt grains ascent it well as it finishes dry and even. Again, its slightly different then what I can recall from the tap. This has a uniquely bittered drying finish with a fairly complex end of roasty things a happening and lasting late until just a titch of chocolate sweetness appears way in the back.

The body is about medium with an overall dryish smoothness of roasted and blackened malts balanced in with a softer yield of oaty sweetness and light chocolate. The coffee becomes much more evident in taste and character as it warms. Gaining a favorable dry roastyness throughout.

A well balanced porter with an interesting display between the dry and darker sweetness.
Out of the numberous times on-tap I've had this stuff, the canned Coffee Bender creates a slightly more dry and complexing experience within said dryness.
The tap has a bit more creamyness and smoothness to it, from what I remember. Time to experiment and find out where I might find any real differences...

02-03-2009 01:03:53 | More by tavernjef