Darkness - Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ryantupy on 10-08-2006

Starting in 2014, bottled Darkness will be aged in whiskey barrels. This listing is ONLY for Darkness that is NOT barrel-aged. For 2014 Darkness go here:  http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/p ... 14/141724/

Labels:
2007-Grim Reaper
2008-Devil
2009-Mummy
2010-Vampire
2011-Zombie
2012 - Werewolf
2013 - Brewcifer
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Darkness Alström Bros
Reviews: 788 | Hads: 3,218
4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

Review from notes on Jan 30, 2010. 2009 Vintage

A - Ok, I can definitely see why it's called Darkness. That's all you see, if it's something to be seen at all. Maybe your eyes aren't worthy of seeing it. But damn, it's pitch black and nothing shows up around the edges, even in light. Tan head that refuses to go away. No lace. 4.5

S - Well now this is most surprising. It's not your typical sweet and fruity RIS, yet it's not an overly hopped and bitter one either. I pick up a touch of earthiness from the hops, followed by a blend of dark chocolate, spiced rum, prunes, coffee beans, and cream. Maybe a hint of vanilla too? Well, whatever this is, it's causing a nasal addiction and I very nearly snorted this up my nose. 5.0

T - This is a BIG beer. But you can hardly taste the alcohol. The chocolate is the most prominent aspect of the flavor. Bitterness is definitely there but is well blended with the malts, which obviously include chocolate malt and roasted barley. Lots of toastiness and roastiness. Caramel sweetness is in the background, letting everything else shine. I'm kind of at a loss to describe this baby. 5.0

M - Not as thick and viscous as it looks. It's rich and robust, yet drinks like a beer should. Nice and delicate carbonation. 5.0

D - Yes. Indeed. 4.5 (1,285 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

08 vintage into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Black body with a thin, but present, brown head. Nice enough for me.

S: Hugely oaky, very sweet, and boozy. Good, but not quite as transcendent as I might have hoped.

T: Sweet, boozy, and very, very tasty. Maybe a bit of hop bitterness, but the emphasis here is on the chocolatey malts and fruity alcohol. Again, it's very, very good, but not great.

M: Full bodied with lots of alcohol burn. I wouldn't want it to be any other way.

D: Somehow, I can't get enough of drinking this beer - even though it doesn't live up to my hopes.

Notes: What a beer to act as the capstone to a truly epic
afternoon/evening/night of beer wonderment. While I stand by my assessment of it, I will definitely rereview whenever I get a crack at a bottle that I can take my time with (and can be more sober for). Huge thanks to the Matt for pulling ths crazy beer out of nowhere. Awesome.

Cheers! (923 characters)

On tap at Cafe Twenty Eight. Served in its very own Darkness goblet, which I hope is a sign it will be returning year after year. It arrived at my table as black as black can be. The head is thick, and brown. It never fully goes away, and leaves a half inch of foam in the bottom of the glass when all of the beer is gone. The aroma is of chocolate, vanilla, graham cracker, plums and other dark fruits. The taste is a perfect balance of roasted malt, chocolate, and vanilla. The mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, silky and nicely carbonated. I really like how it is so full bodied without being overly chewy and sticky. Overall, this is one of teh best beers I have ever had. I am sure I could not drink more than one or two of these at a time, but I could drink one a night for eternity and be very happy. (807 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

2009 trade from MPLS, thank you sir.
Darkness; that is the mood with MSU out of the tournament in the 1st round after 2 final fours.

Opaque viscous black pour. A thinner layer of tan head that did retain fairly well.

Very vinuous aroma. Quite a bit of fruit and some light herbal and citrus hops. Roast malt, some molasses and cocoa.

There's the initial smack of some dark red fruits, but that fades quickly into roasted malt, chocolates, molasses. Finishes with some anise and coffee and cocoa. Still some piney hop action and bitters through that finish. Actually finishes quite clean for all the unfermented I'm sure is in this.
This is really near a 4.5. As it warmed more flavors popped even more, so I bumped it up.

Thick and coating. A velvety carbonation almost creamy. Warming but the alcohol is well within check. Goes down better than some others of this status.

Certainly worth trying and the age probably did good by me as I'm not big into the overly hoppy Imperial Stouts. (991 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -15%

Ah, Surly Darkness. Second time around. Wasn't really a big fan of the '08 and '09, but trying to keep an open mind. Served this chilled, in a sniter, from a 750 ml bottle. I allowed this to warm a bit before sampling.

Appearance: Darkness pours out a deep dark black hole black. This is one black beer! You could hold a flash light to this thing and not see through it. The name fits it perfectly. A rather gentle pour yields about three quarters of an inch of coffee brown head. Head lasts for a bit. Head slowly faded into a thickish gob of foam. A rather generous amount of webby lace was left behind.

Smell: A beast of a brew. Alcohol hammers the nose first and just about clears the sinuses. Slight hints of chocolate, cofee, and molasses. Dark fruit- Prune? maybe some fig and raisin. Some hops are noticeable. Smells like it is sweet.

Taste: Here we go. Taste somewhat mimics the smell. Alcohol seems a bit more subdued. Again, a bit hoppy. Chocolate is there, coffee isn't. Hints of raisin and prune. Somewhat sweet. Finishes with more alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is chewy and thick. Full bodied with lower carbonation.

Drinkability: Notthe most drinkable beer I've ever had. Alcohol and sweetness are a bit much. Give me a Kate over this any day! (1,265 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at The Blue Nile.

Used motor oil color and consistency. Cocoa powder brown head that is quite thick and has staying power.

Rich malt and stronger than usual hop presence for the style. Chocolate, lightly smokey with a bit of coffee. The hops are mostly grassy with just a touch of citrus.

Delicious rich chocolate malt with notes of coffee and smoke. Light vanilla presence and generously hopped. The hops are lightly citric and also add some grassy notes. Big and robust flavor all around. The sweetness is up there a ways, but it's not too much in my opinion.

Velvety feeling and full bodied. Just slithers down the palate.

I could have one of these every day for the rest of my life and die a happy man. This is surely a top notch RIS and one that I will consume as much as possible. Worth all of the hype. (821 characters)

779th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
22oz cap/wax
2010- Vampire

@Woodshop Classix

App- This poured to mix a mix of a RIS and a quad. A darker brown but with some red/amber highlights around the edges. A big puffy one finger khaki head formed and receded with a lot of dotty cling and some streaks.

Smell- Right up front this was a sweeter smelling RIS. A big copious amount of malt was there and then went into a bit of roasty notes with touches of dark chocolate and a lot of dark fruits to continue the RIS/Quad feel.

Taste- This tasted to me like one of those chocolate covered raspberry circles around easter. A dark fruit laden stout with a paired roast note on the backend of the flavor profile. A bit of dark chocolate rounded out the edges.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. Again a nice mix of the RIS/Quad flavors with residual flavors coming from the roast notes and a bit of the dark chocolate/orange/raspberry notes.

Drink- I was really impressed with this beer. It had a lot going on in the glass but wasn't overdone just a bit young. I feel I opened this one a bit young but I needed to bring something to Woodshop to compete with everyone else. I will try to land another older bottle. (1,217 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

A: dark, thick, with minimal head but some nice lacing and a bit of tan foam sitting on the top.

S: caramel sweetness, roasted notes that don't quite hit the coffee roasted smell, chocolate, some earthy hops that balance it nicely

T: for my tastes, this is balance. Maybe a bit sweet, but the hops and roasted notes pair so well with the caramel and chocolate and toffee without overtaking it and turning it into the earthy Storm King or the like.

M: thick as can be, but isn't lacking in carbonation too much at all.

O: my favorite non-barrel aged stout so far. Just amazing combination of flavors and smells made this stand out on a night when we had some amazing stouts. (680 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

2011 vintage.

Appearance. Pours a deep dark brown, almost black with 1.5 fingers of creamy tan head with some awesome lacing.

Smell. Roasty dark malts, a little booze and licorice.

Taste. Wow, big roasty malts with some nice licorice and caramel. A little vanilla and dark fruits.

Mouthfeel. Pretty full body, low carbonation.

Overall. Fantastic RIS. Really liked this one.

Thanks DaftCaskBC for sharing this beauty! (424 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

750ml bottle into Delirium Noël snifter. 2009 vintage. Split with mjyoung and bbb099. Huge thanks to thecaptain073 for trading me this one.

A: Pours jet black with a thin, dense, dark brown head that faded into a bubbly collar and left a web of thin lacing down the glass.
S: Big roasted notes of dark malts and molasses. There is a fair amount of alcohol vapor. I pick up sweet notes of dark fruits as well.
T: Very sweet and sugary with big notes of molasses, brown sugar, and chocolate covered berries. There is a sweet fruitiness to this beer that I just can't tack down. Finish is syrupy and sweet and the aftertaste is lightly roasted and bitter.
M: Alcohol adds some warm viscosity to the mouth. Body is full and thick, but not as thick as possible. Goes down sweet and smooth and is even a little spritzy in the finish.
D: Don't get me wrong, this was an amazing beer and deserves a very high score. It's one of the better RIS I've had, but I was actually expecting a little more given all the hype around it. I would drink this as often as I could if I was able to, but I think even something like Ten FIDY in a four pack off the shelf is pretty damn comparable. (1,177 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle courtesy of HopsSchnapps! Thanks man!

Cracked at midnight last night, but couldn't finish. Going at it again!

Black. Void of light. Pours with a dark brown finger of head. Smells of char, roast, chocolate and an intense coffee. Tastes more chocolaty. Still some charred notes and roasted notes. Slight hops on the finish. Body is full, creamy and luscious. Finish is so clean and smooth it's scary. (407 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -15.5%

2009 Vintage

Appearance- Not quite black but a dark brown during the pour, appears dark black in the glass. A large brown head with excellant retention. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Smell- A large hoppy nose. Resiny and citrus fruit mostly. A little dark malt in the background. Smells more like a DIPA than a RIS.

Taste- Again this is dominated by the hops. Sticky and fruity. Bitterness is high even with several months on this bottle. Malt is a secondary player giving some roasted and chocolate notes. Alcohol does not really play a major role in the taste.

Mouthfeel- Not as big and thick as other RIS's. Still has good carbonation and texture.

Drinkability- With each passing year it seems Darkness becomes less of a style dominator. More of a Black IPA at this point. Hope Surly goes back to the 2007 recipe for 2010. I would take an Old Rasputin or Storm King over this. (909 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to CAS for providing this in a recent trade. This is one of the beers that I spent more time with at our recent tasting for this review. I rated this just behind Dark Lord and right with KTG. Excellent beer

Thick tan head and a smidge of sticky lacing. Obviously very dark brown.

Aroma is more hoppy then the other RIS.. Sweet as well.

I enjoyed the balance of this beer. Very sweet, but also very hop heavy. Quite a bit of fruit. More of a candy sweet vs. a coffee. Like a dark chocolate. Molasses and dark caramel.

Very thick and almost totally sticky. Fully bodied.

One to savor and enjoy slowly. You couldn't kill a bottle of this if you tried. (660 characters)

2007 version

This is one I had been chasing for quite sometime. A big thanks goes out to rate beerian ibrew2or3 for sharing this one.

A: First and foremost its one bad ass looking bottle. Pours a deep dark black hue with a nice bubbly one finger head on my pour. There were spots of lacing noted.

S: Nice hoppy aromas right from the start. There were hints of roasted malts and chocolate along with bitter coffee. It had a somewhat green aroma beneath the roast. The ABV makes itself known in the nose as well.

T: This is a hoppy ass stout. Tons of bitter hops noted as soon as it hit my tongue. Beautifully roasted chocolaty malt does come thru as does a hint of vanilla, a nice dose of smoke, and a touch of dark fruit. A slight alcohol burn lingers after each gulp. That being said it don't ever really come together though.

M: Full in body, rich and somewhat syrupy.

D: The beer is sort of sharp on the tongue. I could of had more than my 1/6 of the bottle but this is one to be shared.

Overall: It's a good beer but overall I was a bit let down. I thank ibrew for the chance to try. Would love to get a bottle of my own to age for a bit.

2008 vintage is a syrupy mess. Don't bother. (1,195 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Starting off 2012 in style. Thanks to LaCoursiere for this bottle.

2011 vintage poured into a Surly Darkness snifter.

A: Pours a deep black with about one and one half fingers of mocha head. The foam settles nicely on the top of this beer, leaving a thin film of bubbles. Some decent lacing as it drinks.

S: Smells of raisins, plums, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, caramel, and a touch of vanilla. There is also an underlying earthiness to this beer.

T: The taste follows the nose really closely. I get the raisins, plums, chocolate, and caramel notes.

M: Full bodied beer. This beer is a seriously creamy. It has great mothfeel, but the finish is a bit cloying. There is a stickiness that lingers for a bit after drinking.

O: In all honesty, I'm not super impressed. There just seems to be something missing, and I can't put my finger on it. I sincerely remember last years version being better. I'm looking forward to seeing how this beer develops over time. (967 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Picked up this dark, inviting growler at the brewery on the 23rd. Glad I got there early enough to get one of these, because this is a terrific RIS!

Decants a dark inky black with dark brown highlights. Topped by a very dense, glass-crawling, light cocoa brown head. Complex aroma of resinous hops, rich stewed fruits, sweet smoked meats, roasted barley, licorice, tobacco, and sugary espresso. Roasted bitterness up front. Followed by sweetish raisins, figs, coffee/chocolate liqueur, sweet smoked meatiness, molasses, and dark coffee. I really like the way the smoky/meaty flavors work with the sweeter, richer fruits and chocolate. Bittersweet finish of numbing hop resin bitterness and mocha chocolate syrup.

Amazingly thick and viscous mouthfeel and as full-bodied of a beer as I have ever had! Velvety smooth on the palate and dangerously drinkable. Complex and outstanding. Not just the best RIS made in MN (ha!) but one of the best I've had period. (963 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -16.2%

1200th rating! Draft (08 version). Pours black with only a small ring of head. Aroma of sweet malt and some bitter hops as well. Rather indistinct aroma actually. Flavor is very sweet and malty, but not the roasted malt that I'm used to in imperial stouts. It was a very odd experience, and I thought this seemed more like an ASA to me. Overall it was alright, but certainly on the sweet side. I would like to try this again though. (432 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Review is from the February 2007 issue of Beeradvocate Magazine.

Only 12 barrels were made, and we've been blessed with a 1/2 gallon, sent directly from the brewery on ice packs. Kickass!

Aptly named, this is one hell of a black brew. Its dark crown is rich, creamy, tightly formed, and coffee colored. Looks like a freshly frothed coffee. Blackberries, strong sherry, velvety dark chocolate, perfume of soft dried fruits. Thick, viscous, chewy, round, smooth and creamy. Semi-spicy alcohol is caught in the center, surrounded by char and smoke, and grasped by a fi st of sweetness. Malty sweet, but not cloying; molasses, dark brown sugar, charred raisins, juicy, ripe black cherries in a sharp, dark berry middle, and an exotically acrid dark-roasted coffee bite. Hop bitterness rises from the depths, along the sides of the tongue, stabbing at the palate here and there with some leafy and oily notes. Smoky-char linger in the fi nish, with a residual, deep, dark sweetness. Alcohol creeps, lurks and eventually strikes a warming blow to the skull.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout, kneel before Darkness! All hail Darkness! The best American-made Russian Imperial Stout we've ever had! (1,198 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got in trade. 2012 version with a wereworlf and red wax cap. Pours deep black with a big frothy light brown head. Big hop aroma with plenty of roasty notes to go along with a bit of sweet molasses. Flavor is very much molasses with unexpextedly strong hop flavor. Wow the balance here is excellent. Cherry and fig mixed with bittersweet chocolate coming in. Medium mouthfeel with thickness that goes with the impy. Relatively easy drinking for the style. This is unique and really good! (486 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Acquired in trade with footbalm (thanks!). Vintage was the year before they starting bottling.

Poured a dark black color with brown edges and an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of strong pine, chocolate, smoke, and some dark fruits. Lots of hops in the aroma. Tastes of dark fruits, pine, chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and more hops.

One of, if not the most hoppy Imperial Stouts I've had (which for me is not a bad thing). I would even go as far to call this a dark IPA! Had a light alcohol finish. Nice smooth and easy drinking body.

Notes from and tasted on 1/5/07. (581 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cracked open the other night to celebrate getting into a PhD program.

A-Deep black, two finger creamy brown head, some lacing.

S-Chocolate coffee, roasted malt, mollassas, somehow smells like it came out of a bourbon barrel.

T-Chocolatey goodness, coffee, some roasted malt, once again the bourbon-like flavors sneak in, great overall balance.

M-Medium bodied, some carbonation, not as creamy and a little thin.

O-A wonderful RIS. Was a great way to celebrate. Makes me wish the grad school was in MN so I could go to Darkness Day every year. (547 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

75cl bottle with the Wolfman (2012) and red wax on top. Generously shared by Regen. Poured into an unlabeled snifter to begin the tasting. Also just recently had a 10oz pour in a Darkness glass at the Surly Tap Room yesterday, 11/29/2013.

Pours a very dark black body, thick and viscous with an impressive 3-4cm mocha head that retains quite well for any imperial stout. Eventually it recedes into a thick-ish brown film on top of the beer. Not much lacing to speak of.

Now this was a pretty hoppy beer with good dark fruits, lots of milk chocolate, roasty malts and some molasses-like sweetness in the nose. Smells excellent.

The taste is awesome. One of the best Imperial Stout flavour profiles I've had. Tons and tons of roast malt sweetness and flavours- chocolate, black coffee, chocolate-covered raspberries. There's a nice earthy presence too.

Mouthfeel is great. Thick bodied, creamy and smooth, well carbonated and resinous. So easy to drink, so flavourful on the back-end. Not a lot of booziness here either.

Going to call this one one of the better RIS's out there. Definitely beats Dark Lord in terms of one-day brewery-only release event beers. (1,163 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage.

5.0 A: Pours black. About three fingers of thick, mostly creamy, secondarily frothy medium-brown-colored head. Very good retention and lacing covering most of the glass.

4.5 S: Mighty chocolaty is my first impression. This has a great mixture of roasty and sweet aromas with the sweet being moderately stronger. Hops are readily apparent in the form of herbal and citrus. Sweet caramel, a touch of smoke, and some toastiness to cap it off. Very nice.

4.0 T: Taste is pretty good, though somewhat disappointing based on the nose. This isn't nearly as sweet as the nose suggests. Rather, hop bitterness is apparent and hop flavor is nearly as strong as the malts. Hop flavor comes in the form of citrusy orange, herbalness, and a touch of spiciness. Malts contribute milk chocolate, caramel, molasses, anise, a touch of smoke and fruitiness in the form of plum, prune, and parsimmon. The malts aren't big and powerful like I like, but this is still pretty tasty.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Not the thick, rich imperial stout I was looking for. Moderate carbonation is a bit "dead" leaving the beer limp and heavy on the touch. However, this has a good creaminess to it and it otherwise smooth.

3.5 D: Gave this a 3.5 because the taste was a borderline 3.5. This is easily the best hoppy imperial stout out there, but I'm not that big of a fan of that approach to stouts. I like big malty flavors and low hop contribution. Still, this is a pretty tasty and I think this will be damn good once the hops have time to fade. (1,561 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Served in a snifter with about a finger and a half of foamy, dark tan head with excellent retention. Decent lacing. Dark black in color, though as the beer dropped I noticed some light shining through the edges revealing a maroon reddish hue to the beer.

S: Plums, prunes, raisins, figs, and shit like that. Sweet and slightly alcoholic.

T: Very sweet malt on the front receding to a wonderful array of dark fruit and dry cocoa. Maybe a little coffee and some dark roasted malts, but these are not center stage.

M: Thickish, but not cloying or oppressive. Low carbonation.

D: Very good. Not the best RIS I've ever had, but I can see what the fuss is about. A very good, high quality beer that tastes great and drinks easily. (735 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

Served on tap at the Republic. First time having it fresh and on tap.

A - pours black as night with a nice 1.5 finger chocolate mo ha head that retreats quickly.

S - The nose is pretty faint on it, but what I get is a lot of chocolate with some toffee and vanilla in the mix. It smells pretty hoppy as well with some. It the malts.

T - starts off with a lot of sweet milk chocolate and some vanilla upfront. These fade to some cola like flavors and some oakiness (I know this wasn't barrel aged but it tastes like something is in there). There is also some bitter candied fruits and spicy tobacco. Ends with a blast of bright, citrus hops that are muddled with dark chocolate and toffee booziness. This is still a little rough around the edges, but I like it that way as you can pick out more of the flavors and make this a bit more complex.

M - mouthfeel is a little watery yet full bodied and a little chewy.

D - I was pumped to see this one on tap as I haven't come close to trying it on tap before. This is more complex than I remembered it being last year but like I said it seems a bit rough now. I think time will do this one well and help calm this one down a bit. Definitely worth seeking out if you like big, complex stouts. (1,244 characters)

Darkness from Surly Brewing Company