Darkness (2006 - 2013) - Surly Brewing Company

Darkness (2006 - 2013)Darkness (2006 - 2013)

Wants: 2,924
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Starting in 2014, Darkness will be aged in whiskey barrels.

Labels:

2007-Grim Reaper
2008-Devil
2009-Mummy
2010-Vampire
2011-Zombie
2012 - Werewolf
2013 - Brewcifer

(Beer added by: ryantupy on 10-08-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Darkness (2006 - 2013) Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this on-tap last night at Small Bar...quite the nice surprise on a Tuesday afternoon when I heard from a friend they were tapping it that evening. If anyone was wondering, no I was not one of the two guys on their laptop surfing BA while at the bar...on to the review.

A: Black in color, with some brown around the edges when held up to a light. Nice 1.5 finger cappuccino colored head that had moderate retention and excellent lacing.

S: The smell was definitely the worst aspect of this beer in my opinion. The smell was not intense whatsoever. There was some faint citrus hoppiness, particularly orange as well as a little bit of alcohol at the finish. The malts were to me, undetectable on the nose, which I found to be a disappointment

T: Lots of milk chocolate up front mixed in with some caramel. With that being said, the beer is not very sweet as some RISs are. There were some nice toasted malt flavors in the middle and a smidgeon of coffee. At the finish, there was a medium-high level of hoppy bitterness for a stout. Overall, there was a nice balance between the malt and hops.

M: Great, thick viscosity, and a nice aftertaste in this beer. The carbonation was a little higher than in some of my favorite stouts, but it worked well in this beer.

D: Overall my first 8 ounce snifter was much, much more drinkable than my second snifter. This wasn't due to fullness or inebriation, but rather I feel the dry hoppiness at the finish caused it to become much more of a slow, sipper over time. With that being said, I felt this was an excellent beer and was very drinkable. I would equate it somewhat to a Goose Island Nightstalker, though not quite as hoppy...more like a blend of Nightstalker and Darklord. The beer has wonderful balance. I would love to try it out of the bottle sometime.

glazeman, Nov 10, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Oh the waiting was painful, this beer is amazing and I wanted to try it for years. 750 ml bottle thanks to footbalm, 2008 edition. Pours a pure black color with a large creamy brown head. The aroma was amazing; huge dark fruits, sweet molasses, caramel, chocolates and rich coffee. Sweet plums especially in the amazing nose. The flavor was amazing as well; initial dark fruits give way to a fizzy and bitter hops. The core of this beer though is a rich chocolate, roasted malt and super decadent coffee mix.The flavor is more than just balanced, you can detect tons of hops, tons of fruit and tons of sweetness. The mouthfeel is very creamy and full. The beer leaves a sludgy leg running down the glass. Amazing. One of the best things I've ever drank. Re-rate: had the 2009 edition at the massive Imperial Stout tasting in Boise. Just as good, rich fruits and aggressive flavors. Still, one of my favorites.

Douglas88, Nov 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

For my 1000th review, I had to choose whether to go with something extremely rare or something nostalgic. Since my last few milestone reviews were Belle Vue Sélection Lambic, Kaggen! Stormaktsporter Rauch, and Cantillon Loerik, I figured it was time for a change of pace, so I picked the first beer for which I traveled to a release party.

This review is an aggregate of all four bottled vintages. Thanks to hoppymeal, northernbrews, and hophobo for supplying vintages '07, '08, and '09 respectively.

(And no, I've never had '06, nor would it be appropriate for this review as it was growler/tap only.)

A - All vintages of Darkness are essentially reference quality Imperial Stout when it comes to appearance. Pours yield a few fingers of dark tan/mocha foam over top of a pitch black body that reveals a sheen of brown at the top of the glass when held up to the light. The head slowly dissipates leaving behind a thin cap and splotchy fingers of lacework. Earlier vintages have slightly worse retention, but all look quite excellent and sufficiently evil.

S - On the other hand, the aroma varies markedly by vintage. The most hop-forward at this stage is '09, with some floral, earthy, leafy, and slightly citrus hop character still present after a year. You can tell '07 was similar when it was bottled as it also features some faded herbal hop notes. The '10 is far more understated in this area, with a floral character that is roughly as potent as the three-year old '07 vintage. Whatever hops were present in '08 are long gone (and they were there, as I remember them when I had it fresh on-tap). Malt character always features sweet dark fruits, figs & prunes, and baker's chocolate, but roast character ranges from fairly intense in '07 to almost non-existent in '08.

T - The taste mirrors the aroma fairly accurately, but there are a few unusual disconnects. '07 features present but well-attenuated hop and char bitterness, as well as dark chocolate and dark roast coffee. '08 tastes largely of cherry cordials, milk chocolate, and dates. '09, even with its still-present hop aroma, is surprisingly high in caramel, molasses, and dark fruits. There is some fairly potent roast character but this is sweeter than I remembered. '10 is most similar to (aged) '07 with roast espresso notes, earthy and herbal bitterness in the finish, and understated sweetness.

M - All vintages are quite similar in this regard. A smooth, creamy, medium-full body that is big enough for the circa 10% alcohol, soft medium-low carbonation, and some light warming alcohol after a few ounces.

D - This is a definitely a sipper, particularly with the sweeter vintages. The 750ml bottles are probably best shared 3-4 ways, and the sugar levels can reach critical after having much more. I find this more drinkable than Dark Lord, but significantly less so than something like Ol' Jack Frost.

It's quite interesting to chart the (d)evolution of the beer and the cautionary tale it can teach about transitioning from small-batch brewing to large-scale production. I'm actually fairly confident the malt bill hasn't changed significantly over the years - what DOES seem to change is the timing and size of hop additions. I wish I'd taken notes on fresh pours of each vintage on-tap, but I do remember that while '08 and '09 both smelled brutally hoppy when first tapped, the hop character vanished from '08 in only a few months. On the plus side, the cloying nature that the '08 displayed after a few months is largely gone, and while certainly sweeter it's actually quite pleasant.

The score is representative solely of the bottles as they tasted circa October 2010.

MasterSki, Nov 09, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

First off a huge thanks to squirpy7 for hooking me up with a brew that was proving to be more illusive than it should be.

2010 vintage:

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pours as dark as the vampire's soul with a dark tan, unrelenting, pillow like cloud of a head that leaves the best lacing I've seen in a stout. Without that lacing, this would be a 4.0.

S: The aroma is lacking complexity and strength right now. Chocolate and roasted malt is present. This stout has a nice hop twist to it. Not pinny, but dark fruit like. Alcohol is present in the nose as the beer warms.

T: The flavor is dominate chocolate and liquorish. The roastedness is masked by a malty sweetness, and just like I expected dark fruit tones from a mix of hops and malt. Alcohol pokes its way through as the beer warms, but is not offensive at all.

Mf: Mouthfeel is just above good. It can improve with more creaminess and carbonation. It still is smooth and uninhibits this brew's power. Viscous and syrupy.

D: At 10.3%, and in a 750ml, this brew is quite drinkable.

Overall, Darkness is a good stout. It's like a mini-Dark Lord. Almost like Surly brewed Dark Lord's younger cousin. This is definitely one to age. It stands out from the other big stouts on the top 100. It lacks notes of espresso with a heavy chocolate base that I've come to love. It can improve with a year in a bourbon barrel; this stout tastes like it was made for it. This thing has a hop bill that makes it unique. Next bottle I trade for will definitely spend 2 years in the cellar.

TKEbeerman, Nov 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Coffee-colored body, translucent but black, thin cappuccino head.
S: Not too much of a smell. Some chocolate milk, malts, and brown sugar.
T: Probably the least cloyingly sweet imperial stout I've had. Gets a lot of flavor in, but finishes dry with a little bit of chocolate. Molasses, brown sugar and dark malts.
M: Smooth, not too creamy, kind of syrupy thick.
D: Can barely taste the alcohol. Had a couple of these at Pizza Lucé after 2 years of attempting to be around MN when it was released.

lhaqq, Nov 08, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

A bit light and hoppy with the opening aroma. Pours about what you'd expect from a RIS, thick and black with a small tan head. Tastes as Surly describes, but a bit less flavorful than one might expect from such a prestigious and rare brew; it's fantastic but no Dark Lord. The palate is a bit thinner than the pour suggests, not the thick motor oil feel we expect from RIS's, but good none-the-less. Overall it's among the top of it's style, but might not be worth the hype, and for the price I think i'd rather have a couple Goose Island Nightstalker's.

DocSkalski, Nov 07, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this brew as part of a huge tasting courtesy of Lunch. This totally knocked out one of my major "Wants." Thanks Paul!

I love the new vampire bottle design!

A: Pours as dark as the name itself, with about a fingers worth of head that is only a couple of shades lighter than the brew itself.

S: Sweet and fruity (figs?), candy-like, with molasses, and charred-wood. Awesome!

T: Sweet molasses upfront, which blends in perfectly to a chewy chocolate body, and finishes with a mild dark cocoa bitterness.

M: Not boozy at all, with a honey-like texture, and dark glass lacing. Despite the high octane, this one is remarkable creamy and smooth.

D: There is no bourbon, coffee, barrel-aging, or any other gimmicks in this brew. This is just good old-fashioned brewing. Extremely memorable!

Chaney, Nov 06, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

09 vintage poured into a tulip glass. Appropriately drank on Halloween.

A - Absolutely pitch-black with a creamy mocha-colored head. Retention is amazing, and the head re-forms itself with every swirl. Sticky lacing is left on the glass as the head (finally) recedes. Beautiful!
S - Dark roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses and dark dried fruits (figs and prunes).
T - More dark malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses and fruit. Quite sweet but somehow never gets cloyingly so. So smooth tasting, there's no bitterness at all, despite such dark flavors. Just a delicious beer!
M - Thick and creamy with medium-low "prickly" carbonation. Slightly sticky, but still oh-so smooth.
D - While this is certainly a sipper, it's one I could drink all day. I don't know how they make such a sweet, high-alcohol beer this drinkable, I just know I enjoyed the heck out it.

jsanford, Nov 03, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

2009 Mummy bottle, shared with gwuilliums on Halloween 2010. From a trade with Mikesgroove. Thanks, Mike!

A: Completely black, viscous pour. Mocha colored head with excellent formation and retention. Tremendous legs and lacing!

S: Sweet malt and dark fruitiness. No coffee or chocolate notes.

T: Dark and deep. Sweet, like dark figs. Some hoppiness on the finish. This beer is like a sweeter version of The Abyss.

M: Incredibly smooth and slightly syrupy (as it should be). Carbonation is fine for the style.

D: The sweetness got to me a little bit, but overall this is a very drinkable10.3% RIS.

Spica66, Nov 01, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at The Blue Nile.

Used motor oil color and consistency. Cocoa powder brown head that is quite thick and has staying power.

Rich malt and stronger than usual hop presence for the style. Chocolate, lightly smokey with a bit of coffee. The hops are mostly grassy with just a touch of citrus.

Delicious rich chocolate malt with notes of coffee and smoke. Light vanilla presence and generously hopped. The hops are lightly citric and also add some grassy notes. Big and robust flavor all around. The sweetness is up there a ways, but it's not too much in my opinion.

Velvety feeling and full bodied. Just slithers down the palate.

I could have one of these every day for the rest of my life and die a happy man. This is surely a top notch RIS and one that I will consume as much as possible. Worth all of the hype.

jera1350, Oct 31, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -15.6%

Vintage 2009 bottle I picked up last year and have been saving for either something special or whenever October rolled around again.

Appearance: Black like night. Thin foamy tan head.

Smell: Sweet, very very sweet. Raisins and Alcohol, I was expecting some chocolate but there isn't any.

Taste: The taste is quite close to the smell, dark and fruity, a bit hoppy. The hoppiness really lingers which I wasn't expecting.

Mouthfeel: Amazing, very very mellow. Theres a bit of zip on the tip of the tongue from the hops, very low carbonation, but really well balanced. Leaves you with the feeling of having a tablespoon of syrup in your mouth.

Drinkability: I think one bottle will be enough for me. The abv doesn't really weigh it down while drinking it, but the sweetness is a bit too much.

I enjoyed the 2009, but I'd like to see how it has changed in 2010. If the sweetness dropped down a bit I would love it.

smm, Oct 30, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

2010 vintage served on tap at Groveland Tap.

A: Black as Satan's soul, nice amount of dark brown head and lacing

S: Strong roasted smell, some sweet chocolate, slight coffee, and a little booze

T: Roasted malty liquid goodness, chocolate is quite present, with a slight coffee follow-up, and a subtle sweet finish.

M: Quite thick moderate carbonation, love it.

D: Highly drinkable, @ 10.3%, it was masked extremely well. It is a big beer, very filling, with a lot of substance.

Overall I think this lived up to the hype, it is truly an excellent beer.

therobot, Oct 30, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -16%

2010 bottle drank into my Darkness tulip...A dark as midnight night with a huge dark tan head. The head is amazing as it literally arises from beneath the beer foaming up a full four fingers. The head is two colors, dark tan on the bottom with a lighter color on the top. The retention and lacing are amazing...The aroma is muted from the 09 version in terms of the hops as they do not show through. Very malty, lots of sweet milk chocolate with a hint of grass on the back. Not what I was expected, but still pretty decent...The taste thankfully brings out more of the hops as this has a grassy hop backbone from start to finish. A lot of the sweetness is gone, only a little is left but as it warms the hops disappear too. This turns into a really boring beer, so disappointing.

The 09 version is so much better than this, the 10 is just a big let down.

jrallen34, Oct 30, 2010

HOLY COW. Had this on tap at Groveland Tap, and it was amazing. Pours a dark rich black with a nice creamy tan head, excellent lacing. Strong malt smell, amazing taste, thick and rich with a great bold body. Spectacular mouthfeel, thick and rich. Super drinkable. Really happy I picked up 2 bottles.

deadbody, Oct 29, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +4%

Cracked a bottle of the 2010 Darkness tonight. Wanted to get a fresh review done from the bottle and try throughout the year. Will also be getting a draft or two in the coming weeks as it hits the TC pubs.

Appearance: 5.0 - Bottle rocks, and pours direct from the 57 degree cellar, thick into my snifter. Head of about 1 inch and some lacing after it settles. Dark, ominous and a thin head.

Smell: 4.5 - Loads of caramel and hot damn I would say crushed blueberries on the nose, and a some of the alcohol coming through. Some hops, but not nere what the '09 had.

Taste: 4.5 - Hits with a sweet chocolaty and caramel note, then the hops and alcohol come calling. Ends with a smokey malt and toasted grain finish. This finish keep s going...like a fine wine...Love this.

Mouthfeel: 5.0 - This eer hits it for me with the mouthfeel, light and airy almost, but still coats and leaves a finish that keep going and going. This is perfection.

drinkability: 5.0 - Not an over the top alcy bomb, and just has a finish that keeps you wanting more and more. Bravo Omar and Todd!!

Penguin3200, Oct 27, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -13.3%

I have had this in my cellar for some time as it is the 2008 edition. I tried it and felt it somewhat average.

The beer was a nice black and chocolate look.

S - Some chocolate notes some coffee not really strong.

T - was good did not blow me away it had a bit of chocolate coffee taste a bit astingent but not bad.

M- chewy is the best I can decribe it it went down a little tough, not bad bet did not blow me away.

D - A little low because it was hard to come by and not too sure if I would have another. Might have another year but for this year that is waht I am rating it.

Casey10, Oct 26, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

Shared 2009, and a 2007 at Surly Darkness Day 2010.

2009 was great. Sweetness was not over the top, dark chocolate and a slight hint of alchohol but totally enjoyable.

2007 was magnificent. Poured into a plastic cup but even that couldn't take away from this complete beer. Cant put it any other way - awesome.

adrock7309, Oct 25, 2010

2009 edition

Pours jet black with about an inch of dark brown creamy head. Beer looks very "alive" so to speak and is about as nice as you can expect a RIS to look.

Nose is pleasant with mostly notes of chocolate. Not what I would call a strong smell (in contrast I found the taste much stronger and distinct) but still a very pleasant one with minimal sense of alcohol.

Taste makes me think of chocolate milk.... to me that seems like the overpowering note, which I enjoyed immensely. Coffee there too and a few slight underlying flavors that my palate isn't good enough to identify with certainty. The longer I drink it the more the sweetness of the beer starts to take front stage, but never to the point of being overpowering.

Keeping with the chocolate milk theme, the mouthfeel is fantastic. As creamy of a RIS as i've ever had and fantasticly easy to drink for such a high abv.

In total a great beer that I think probably benefited a good deal from cellaring a year. I had this a day after having a 09 dark lord and its amazing just how different two huge beers made in the same general style can be. Glad I finally got a hold of this one, but unless I move to minnesota for some reason, I don't anticipate going through the trouble of obtaining it again.

mechamifune, Oct 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours black with a tan head, about a quarter inch that fades into a ring at the edge. Amazing lacing for the style. Smell is bitter coffee and hops, licorice, milk. Taste is pretty fantastic. Sweet malt, sugary frosting, chocolate and hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is a heavy but perfect. Heavy with lots of lactose, light but fizzi carbonation. For the style, as drinkable as it gets.

nkersten, Oct 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

2010 bottle. Thanks to my work friend who brought me a bottle since I couldn't make it. Poured into a pint glass:

A - Dark to say the least. Hard pour brings about a khaki head about an inch thick. No lacing really at all.

S - Kind of sweet like a milk stout. Sugary and a bit sweet. Tones of candy and a bit dark fruit. A bit earthy.

T - Wow! Roast but sugary and sweet. Chocolate and a bit coffee. I can't get past the sweetness though.

M - Syrup and thick. Creamy and velvety. A bit carbonated.

D - Even though its thick I can't stop drinking it. Very enjoyable. The sweetness suprises me. Good work, Surly!

joshuaseresse, Oct 24, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Halloween Bash 2010. The VIP at the party was the Surly Darkness. Shared with the LArse, Zapps, and Cpie. I cannot think of a better way to starting out an enchanted evening. This review should probably be #666 but I will probably be 666 but the time I get to that number. Shout to SpeedwayJim for this bottle.

2009 DARKNESS

I made my way through the chophouse, the spider web, the grim reaper, and the bloody black roses to my beer fridge. I took the bottle in hand, scurried to the bar and quickly placed it down. There was a strange energy surrounding the bottle. As I got closer to it I felt more and more empty inside. The mummy on the front had me begging Zapps to stay close and protect me. I grabbed Jlynn's heavy duty bottle opener of the orange dish. Stabbing at the bottle cutting through the wax left me out of breath. Finally I reached the cap and quickly pried it open before I was thrown backwards by an unkown force. Looking up at the bottle I could see spirits escaping which reminded me of the micronized Ghostbusters ghost trap. I broke out my proton pack and quickly secured them in the containment unit. Cautiously making my way back to the bottle I secured some tulips. I poured the thick sludge into my tulip and noticed a low carbonation level and the consistency of a Transylvanian Moat. A tan almost brown head jumped out of the moat like vampires of the night hunting for their prey. Finding myself in a trance like state I quickly looked away. I finally gathered the courage to take a sniff with my eyes closed. Roasted bat malts, plum witches dances around my noise hairs. After two years of lifting weights in my beer fridge the hops are still going strong. I picked up this evil liquid and took a sip. Feeling slightly possesed I could sense tons of different malts. The most impressive fruit profile of any stout I've ever had. So many flavors coming through. Despite the robust chocolaty coffee notes, the fruit dominated. What an interesting demon. Very low carbonation despite the exorcism. The demons sucked the bubbles out. As with any massive 10.3 ABV stout this one is a sipper. It's not meant to be chugged like a coors light. The drinkability is amazing. Alcohol is very well hidden. Mouthfeel is smooth as a witches broom handle. Unless I go to MN on darkness Day or trade another precious KTG this will probably be my only Darkness. What an impressive brewery. Very glad I got to try this one. Happy Halloween.

DNICE555, Oct 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

08 vintage into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Black body with a thin, but present, brown head. Nice enough for me.

S: Hugely oaky, very sweet, and boozy. Good, but not quite as transcendent as I might have hoped.

T: Sweet, boozy, and very, very tasty. Maybe a bit of hop bitterness, but the emphasis here is on the chocolatey malts and fruity alcohol. Again, it's very, very good, but not great.

M: Full bodied with lots of alcohol burn. I wouldn't want it to be any other way.

D: Somehow, I can't get enough of drinking this beer - even though it doesn't live up to my hopes.

Notes: What a beer to act as the capstone to a truly epic
afternoon/evening/night of beer wonderment. While I stand by my assessment of it, I will definitely rereview whenever I get a crack at a bottle that I can take my time with (and can be more sober for). Huge thanks to the Matt for pulling ths crazy beer out of nowhere. Awesome.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Oct 07, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Darkness 2010; on tap at MN Brew Review. .

Appearance: Rich dark brown, opaque, with a nice cap of carmelly-mocha head.

Smell: Rich dark chocolate, vanilla and molasses punctuated heartily by bitter citrus hops.

Taste: Dark roasted malt, rich dark chocolate, dark fruit, molasses, subtle bitter espresso, smoke, and a helping of bittering hops. Goodness. Darkness.

Mouthfeel: Rich, creamy, syrupy.

Drinkability: It's big on flavor, very dark & rich...and high ABV...give me more. Right now.

Note: Although 60-some breweries were on hand...my friends found it was very hard to dislodge me from the Surly booth once I got a taste of Darkness 2010.

JackieTH, Oct 04, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -46.2%

Pours black as night with a brown head. Definitely looks the part of a big RIS.

The nose is lackluster - strong to be sure, but not pleasant. Tons and tons of malt with a plum character. Not really appealing.

The taste is much of the same. Loaded with roasty caramel malt and a charateristic that makes me think of plums. This isn't bad, per se, but definitely not tasty to me. When I try a beer of Darkness' acclaim, I expect some nice complexities and layers. I got none of that. This thing honestly tasted like a thicker, cloying version of Old Rasputin to me.

Mouthfeel was nice and thick and creamy. Sticky.

All in all, massive disappointment. even though this bottle was from the most recent vintage, I didn't get any of the hops that others are mentioning. I wish I had, since it might have balanced this mess out. I don't imagine I'll be trying this one again. Took me almost 5 hours to finish the bottle, and I was sick to my gut afterwards. Yeck.

Mavajo, Oct 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a deep dark black hue with a nice bubbly one finger head on my pour. Nice hoppy aromas right from the start. There were hints of roasted malts and chocolate along with bitter coffee. It had a somewhat green aroma beneath the roast. Tons of bitter hops noted. Beautifully roasted chocolaty malt does come through as does a hint of vanilla, a nice dose of smoke, and a touch of dark fruit. A slight alcohol burn lingers after each gulp. Full in body, rich and somewhat syrupy.

Anthony1, Sep 29, 2010