Darkness - Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ryantupy on 10-08-2006

Starting in 2014, bottled Darkness will be aged in whiskey barrels. This listing is ONLY for Darkness that is NOT barrel-aged. For 2014 Darkness go here:  http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/p ... 14/141724/

Labels:
2007-Grim Reaper
2008-Devil
2009-Mummy
2010-Vampire
2011-Zombie
2012 - Werewolf
2013 - Brewcifer
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,072 | Reviews: 797

This is the best stout I have ever had. A stellar concoction. Roasty, chocolatey, nutty, oaty, brown sugary, just flat out delicious. Love it every year. Each year is a littel different, but ut never disappoints. I am glad that I have two bottles sitting around. Can't do any better than this.

3.73/5  rDev -16.9%

Ah, Surly Darkness. Second time around. Wasn't really a big fan of the '08 and '09, but trying to keep an open mind. Served this chilled, in a sniter, from a 750 ml bottle. I allowed this to warm a bit before sampling.

Appearance: Darkness pours out a deep dark black hole black. This is one black beer! You could hold a flash light to this thing and not see through it. The name fits it perfectly. A rather gentle pour yields about three quarters of an inch of coffee brown head. Head lasts for a bit. Head slowly faded into a thickish gob of foam. A rather generous amount of webby lace was left behind.

Smell: A beast of a brew. Alcohol hammers the nose first and just about clears the sinuses. Slight hints of chocolate, cofee, and molasses. Dark fruit- Prune? maybe some fig and raisin. Some hops are noticeable. Smells like it is sweet.

Taste: Here we go. Taste somewhat mimics the smell. Alcohol seems a bit more subdued. Again, a bit hoppy. Chocolate is there, coffee isn't. Hints of raisin and prune. Somewhat sweet. Finishes with more alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is chewy and thick. Full bodied with lower carbonation.

Drinkability: Notthe most drinkable beer I've ever had. Alcohol and sweetness are a bit much. Give me a Kate over this any day!

4.51/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured from 2010 Vintage wax capped 750ml bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured a very thick 2 finger dark tan head. Very thick head. Excellent retention. Very thick lacing left. Color is all black. Head last forever. This is what the an Imperial Stout should look like.

S. Chocolate, roasted malt, some coffee. I pick up some dark fruit, interestingly enough. Not overpowering and very balanced. Not as big a smell as I was expecting.

T. Wow. This beer is delicous. Super balanced and very easy to put down. Has quite a bit of chocolate flavor. Some coffee, but just enough to add flavor and complexity. Maybe one of the smoothest Imperial Stouts I have had so far.

M. Full bodied. Really nice mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Finishes with a lingering sweetness.

D. Extremely drinkable. This is an excellent beer. Super smooth and very flavorful at the same time. Had a nice chocolate flavor for me that I really like. I was expecting a lot and I was not disappointed.

3.78/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

had on tap at Jake Melnick's - Chicago

A.

A nice dark black stout. The bar wasn't too lit so I couldn't hold it up to the light to see if brown/red hues coming through but it was still a nice looking beer. About 1 fingers worth of brown head.

S.

not as strong as I thought it would be. I was expecting some deep coffee and chocolate notes but I was pretty surprised. I get some dark fruits, like prunes, deep roasted malts and a little hop aroma. I was hoping for something a little stronger, more prevalent.

T.

a little disappointing here. Perhaps I just had too high expectations for a one day release beer? A very deep roasty beer, some dark fruit (mainly prune) taste to it. It was fairly sweet as well. Perhaps subtle chocolate notes in there. A little bitterness towards the end then kinda drys out the mouth a little.

M.

definitely full bodied. Good amount of carbonation. A slight slick feel but relatively smooth going down. As said previously, a slight dry aftertaste as well but enjoyable on the mouth.

D.

I wouldn't give this too high. Just an above average RIS for me honestly. Combine it with the price, availability, the hype and the overall flavor, I doubt I'd be seeking this out again. I have a bottle of 2010 at home and I'll probably let that age for a year or so and see what a difference cellaring the beer does.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Shared a 2010 bottle with speedwayjim, capra12, billyshears. Thanks to speedwayjim for sharing!!!

Poured a stunning thick black with a thin tan head into a Darkness glass. This brew smells of vanilla, hops, and even licorice or good and plenty. The hops really add a nice element to this RIS. The beer is thick and wonderful, pretty sweet but the hops add such a nice element. Has a nice tingle to it, this one was my fav of the tasting.

--- edit --- 2012-01-01
vintage 2011: 4.5 - 4.5 - 5.0 - 4.5 - 5.0
decided to pop open my first 2011 bottle for the giant game. pried open the waxed cap and filled my 2010 surly snifter. poured a silky shiny black with a generous frothy mocha frappacino like head that hung out for a while after it built like a guiness. the head was milky and chunky and bubbled away slowly, but was there for the duration. looks awesome. much like last year, i get a bit of a hoppy vanilla. some roastiness, but milked over. the hops give it an almost charred smell. BAM - there's that flavor. what a fricken beer. i forgot how much i love this beer. a bit on the sweeter side than i had remembered, but the hopping gives the roastiness some balls. really enjoyable.

--- edit --- 2012-11-18 (fresh!!!)
vintage 2012: 4.5 - 4.5 - 5.0 - 4.5 - 5.0
removed the wax, decapped and filled my new darkness snifter. brew poured a deep dark ominous, yet slightly watery black. as the beer settled in my glass it embodied the name of the beer. a finger and a half of off white-acino looking head appeared on the surface. as the head dissipated it left thick foamy lacing on the glass. inviting and menacing! wonderful black malt with a solid amount of roast and a great hop to balance things out. some bitter coffee and chocolate notes on the nose as well. nice hoppy stout (actually kind of reminds me of hoppy stout from greenport harbor). a bit of char. really just a phenomenal beer. big bold and roasty with a slight amount of char on the feel. overall, one of my favorite stouts. great year after year.

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle - Capped & Waxed - 2010 Vintage - Poured into my Darkness snifter...

Pours thick and viscous, black. Three fingers of thick, dark tan head slowly forms and recedes even slower, leaving a lot of lacing behind...

Aroma is very rich and deep. Roasted malts on top of a dark fruit sweetness. Semi-sweet, slightly bitter bakers chocolate add richness that is cut by some roasted, coffee bitterness and a little bit of smoke. Beer has layers of underlying sweetness, prunes and/or figs. Complex, but subtle and delicious...

Sweet, but not too much so. Dark fruits, mildly bitter, intense chocolate flavors when you lick your lips. Smoky and dry in the finish. Complex, rich, delicious. This beer kicks the crap out of bottled Dark Lord any day...

Full bodied, thick but not painfully so. Incredibly smooth and flavorful, all meld together perfectly...

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Scored this bottle thanks to newk340. This was a 2010 shared with the family over the holidays. This had been one of my top wants. I'm glad I was able to knock this off my list. I wish I could say I was blown away. Unfortunately the Darkness didn't lead up to the hype that I was expecting.

A- Pours jet black as a normal head would dark brown with a small head.

S- I expected more layers from this. I was hoping for the complexities to really show. I get a lot of malts and a faint hint of dried fruits maybe a prunes???

T- Lot of malts and again the flavor of prunes. I wouldn't consider it bad, just nothing amazing.

M- Very thick. Like drinking a milkshake. This was the best aspect of the beer.

D- Overall this is a great beer. I might just stick with the Old Raspy and not have to worry about the trade. Darkness is a great representation of a RIS. The hype train has grabbed on and won't let go.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer has been easily in my top 5 wants for a couple of years. I was finally able to land not one but 2 bottles from a great trader. This bottle is the 2010 version. The beer was served cold and will be allowed to warm up. First impressions really came up short but I reminded myself the beer is far too cold. So here is hoping my patience is rewarded. In the end my patience was rewarded. The beer has a lot of hype to live up too. My verdict this beer easily stands up to at least 85% of the hype.

Appearance: I am a sucker for beer that pours a straight black. An occasional ruby highlight manages to penetrate but not for long. The head of the beer s a dark burnt tan coloration. The head resolved into a thin ring of burnt tan foam. Lacing rings my glass as the beer is consumed.

Smell: After waiting for 20 minutes for the beer to warm up the beer started to shine. Darkly roasted and lightly charred aromas start to rise out of the glass. Dark fruits figs, prunes and dates combine with a flash of citrus, citrus zest, tiny amounts of smoke and yes even a suggestion of candied pine cones. Well played!

Taste: The flavor has dark roasted and a bit burnt on the malt. A bit of powdery cocoa lots and lots of dark fruits stewed together definitely figs and date. The citrus cuts across the flavor pleasingly. Brown sugar and molasses wrap around a brief pine cone flavor. The char of the malt keeps the malty nature of this beer in check.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full. In spite of the full body the beer wears a wonder bra. The mouth feel is no where near as thick as I was hoping for. Made me wonder where all the curves went. Light carbonation breaks the body up a bit. Dam near a perfect beer! I love the roasted and fruit notes. Alcohol is present in all layers of the beers experience but for me only tends to accentuate the beers strong points.

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees, allowed to warm, as drinking
Huge thanks to thehand for sharing a 2008,'09, & '10 vertical, recently.
This will be a review of the 2010 bottle.

This one pours thick and black, as expected, from it's name. It has a very nice head of milk chocolate colored foam, about a finger thick, that just stays and stays. The lacing is almost non-existant, surprisingly (but it still looks damn-near perfect).

Tons of chocolate and roastiness dominate. Very mild hints of coffee. Light traces of hops. Mild touches of smoke and some dark fruit sweetness.

It begins with some dark fruit sweetness and a good deal of chocolate. An almost lacto-like sweetness appears and then sinks away again. Then comes a hint of smoke/char, which brings on the big, dry, roastiness, which mostly dominates the flavor profile. The finish has a good hint of hop bitterness to it.
Overall a fairly well balanced stout. I like it.

This is nicely full-bodied, but not thick, like I'd hoped for. It has a mild-to-medium level of carbonation, which works for it, as far as smoothness goes. It lacks a good deal of creaminess though, which I was certainly hoping for.
This is more silky than chewy.

Okay, for 10.30%abv, this is dangerously smooth and drinkable. This is where Darkness shines for me. I'd love to have 4 to 6 bottles that could be consumed over the course of an evening.

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap at the Local Option on 15 Dec 2010

A - Thick black appearance with a two finger tan head.

S - Dark Chocolate, Espresso, dominated by roasted malts.

T - Dark Chocolate and coffee, with good hop notes. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium, expected a little bit more from such a "big" beer.

D - Very good beer, but not sure it quite lived up to the hype.

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

I've been fortunate enough so far to have acquired two bottles of the 2010 Vampire vintage through trades. I'm an Eagles fan, so when DeSean Jackson decided to stick a dagger in the Giants' hearts, I knew it was time for this Surly beast.

The appearance is absolutely hands-down amazing. Dark, huge tan head, brilliant lacing that clings to the glass. The only huge stout that's looked better has been Deschutes' Abyss. Which I suppose is fitting, because those are dark too.

After looking at it for what seemed like hours (and was really seconds) I gave it a sniff. Not that impressive. Chocolate and coffee malts came through, but despite the big head this didn't have a big nose. Its taste was also subdued. Not to say I didn't love it, because it was exactly how it should taste, but it didn't blow me away like the appearance.

Surly's Russian Imperial Stout still fills the mouth well with its full-body, and honestly I've always been scared of Russians and vampires, but I'd still return to this one - especiallyi f it were off the shelf and didn't require trading.

I'd also love to see how it ages. Probably upside down or in a coffin or something.

3.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage: Pours out black, you know the story. A dark fruit aroma, plum, prune, fig, raisin.

Taste, reminiscient of dark lord, but a little thinner. Sweet, dark sugar. This really is right up the alley of a traditional RIS, sweet, not super thick, no coffee, chocolate seemed to be on the lacking side for any kind of stout. Boozy, didn't pick up any vanilla, lots of wood, probably oak, oak was all over this.

Was comparable to tenfidy also. Not my favorite RIS, but definitely solid. But I'd rather have coffee bender, abrasive, furious or wet. This would be no big deal if it was in a can.

4.36/5  rDev -2.9%

2010 Vintage

Poured pitch black with a nice 2 finger head. A great looking beer.

The smell of this beer is of dark fruit and molasses.

The taste is of smooth dark late but not overbearing. I thought it would be a little fuller than it was. Still great just not what I expected.

The mouthfeel was awesome. This beer does not taste like a 10.3% beer at all. It is without a doubt one of the easiest beers to drink (of this style) that I have ever had.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

After drunkenly trading a Dark Lord for this, and then this for an Abyss at DLD 2010, I'm finally trying Darkness. Poured fresh into a snifter at Jake Melnick's Corner Tap:

A - Black, with a little brown showing at the edges. Billowing beige head of 2 fingers is retained well and leaves elaborate lacing on the inside of the glass. Very unusual for an RIS, but it looks great.

S - Strong, assertive nose features fresh coffee beans, dark fruits, and molasses. A subtle hint of dark chocolate as well. I'd like a candle with this scent. Only Dark Lord and BCBCS smell better.

T - Everything from the nose, in delicate balance. A bit of anise in the aftertaste. Very very tasty.

M and D - Smooth, medium to full body, with decent carbonation, maybe a touch more than is usual for the style. A little syrupy but not cloying, this is one to sip and savor. Excellent brew.

4.02/5  rDev -10.5%

2010 Vintage.

Poured opaque black (like all big stouts) with moderate tan head. Nose is unexpectedly full of citrus hops (I knew this was hoppy, but damn). Citrus hops overlay the chocolate/roasted malts underneath. Flavor is big, with serious citrus and pine hops rushing over a big sweet stout base. Carbonation is a bit high on this guy, with corresponding thinness of body. Easy drinker, though, due to the carbonation.

This was a bit of a let-down for me... I was looking for a life-changing event, but this was not it. Struck me as more of a black IPA, which is good. The carbonation made the really nice and robust flavor difficult to access, it kind of diluted the flavor or washed it away too quickly. As it warmed, the beer really has a unique and wonderful flavor, but some of the details are a bit off, in my opinion.

3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

22oz into 6oz tasting glass. 2010 release. Thanks to afksports.

Dark - unable to tell if it is deep brown or black but the head is a fair tan; no lacing.

Cocoa nib in the front, full roasted malt takes over.

Flavor is a robust roasted malt which becomes very sweet; the finish is perfect bit I wish there was more complexity in the initial flavor. This isn't a slight so much as enhanced expectation based on reputation. This is certainly an above average RIS.

The mouthfeel is perfect. The carbonation, weight of the brew, taste and viscosity are all well matched.

I would certainly drink, and would drink it over damn near all the off the shelf options to which i have frequent access.

(57th)

3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

Split with scottfire and bbb099. Thanks to scottfrie.

2009 release

A: Pours very dark and rich, with a nice head that seems solid enough to eat at first but recedes quickly. Gorgeous lacing as it slowly recedes. Doesn't appear to be as thick as I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing.

S: Very strong smell of roasted molasses, overwhelming any other flavors.

T: Dark chocolate, roasted malt, and molasses. Very warm, with the alcohol following all the way down. Once you get past the initial powerful hit, you pick up some brown sugar and a sweet, full-bodied fruitiness. The molasses and malt definitely overpowers everything else. It would have been interesting to try this both fresh, and with another year in the bottle.

M: A bit thinner than I was expecting, but still a slky, viscous feel that sits quite well.

D: It's unfortunately a bit hard to rate this beer as objectively as I would like (my earlier find this evening is clouding my judgment). It is quite good, although a little bit more harsh than I would like. Another year in the bottle would have been interesting. It doesn't quite measure up to the hype, but don't get me wrong. I'd drink it again at the drop of a proverbial (or literal) hat.

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

750ml bottle into Delirium Noël snifter. 2009 vintage. Split with mjyoung and bbb099. Huge thanks to thecaptain073 for trading me this one.

A: Pours jet black with a thin, dense, dark brown head that faded into a bubbly collar and left a web of thin lacing down the glass.
S: Big roasted notes of dark malts and molasses. There is a fair amount of alcohol vapor. I pick up sweet notes of dark fruits as well.
T: Very sweet and sugary with big notes of molasses, brown sugar, and chocolate covered berries. There is a sweet fruitiness to this beer that I just can't tack down. Finish is syrupy and sweet and the aftertaste is lightly roasted and bitter.
M: Alcohol adds some warm viscosity to the mouth. Body is full and thick, but not as thick as possible. Goes down sweet and smooth and is even a little spritzy in the finish.
D: Don't get me wrong, this was an amazing beer and deserves a very high score. It's one of the better RIS I've had, but I was actually expecting a little more given all the hype around it. I would drink this as often as I could if I was able to, but I think even something like Ten FIDY in a four pack off the shelf is pretty damn comparable.

3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

2010 bottle. Big thanks to Cardinal79 for bringing this to the bottle share.

A - pours a pitch black, much like the namesake with a 1 finger pillowy head.

S - roasty and dry nose with espresso and bitter chocolate. Some hops as well.

T - very roasty, surprisingly much drier than I expected. Nice floral hops as well - fairly unexpected.

M - For such a sought after beer, its a little thin. It lacks a bit of complexity, but I did enjoy the dryness.

D - It's a big beer, but fairly drinkable. This isn't necessarily a dessert beer as it isn't cloyingly sweet, could actually pair with a sweet bbq.

2010 version

Appearance: It's weakest, which doesn't say much as I've still given it a 5. Near Jet-Black and one of the darkest brews I've ever seen. It's rich and frothy mocha head teases you to take a drink, no begs you. Slight lace retention, though unimpressive. If there is a weak point in this beer, lace retention would be it. However, I feel it's not a very important aspect.

Smell: Devastatingly powerful. One whiff knocks you onto your hills. Deep, milk chocolate and espresso welcomes the nostrils with undertones of vanilla, cherry and hops.

Taste: Strong hints of chocolate, coffee and slight vanilla notes. A very warming beer invites you to a wonderland of flavor. Sweet and roasty chocolate. If Willy Wonka Brewed beer, this would be it.

Mouthfeel. Thick, strong, syrupy, full. These are are appropriate adjectives.

Drinkability: The scariest thing about this beer isn't the vampire on the label, it's the drinkability of this beer. At 10.x% ABV, this titan of flavor and smoothness' scariest attribute is how quickly you can down it. Without realizing it, I drank half the bottle in only a few gulps.

I've never given a perfect score to any beer, not even an A+. I've always waited for that one beer that would destroy every sense of reality that I had to give out such an honor... but here it is... Surly Darkness.... and it does not disappoint.

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

650ml 2010 vintage, silver wax - big thanks to viggo for generously bringing this and sharing.

Pours a not quite jet black, viscous brew, a creamy finger and a half of mocha head which sticks around for the duration. Nice.

Nose initially reveals a nice roast, chocolate, coffee character blended with a fresh leafy hop kick, beautifully integrated. Then rich mocha, hints of smooth espresso (not the acrid stuff from Starbucks!), dark chocolate and milk chocolate, cocoa powder, clean earthy roasted malts, hint of molasses, vanilla. The mouthfeel on this is standout, so smooth and creamy without ever being syrupy, aided by just the right hop bite and dryness. Not too sweet, just so fine. Alcohol so well hidden. Perhaps not the most complex of the big beers but this is perhaps the most balanced, drinkable of the big RIS's I've had - which is a real talent. Thanks a ton Eric!

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Impressively waxed bottle - thanks to Eric for sharing!

Jet black viscous pour with a mocha head that stays the course. Smooth aroma of chocolate and coffee with light vanilla. Relatively simple flavour has chocolate and medium coffee roast along with hints of smoke. While the flavour is very pleasant, there are a few things that really stand out for me in this brew. Firstly, its incredibly balanced. Secondly, the mouthfeel is exceptional - full and smooth. Finally, for its weight it might just be the most drinkable imperial I've come across.

3.91/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a mug. It's called Darkness for a reason, this stuff is black. It had a 3 finger caramel head which took quite a while to dissipate.
The smell was different. I picked up an olive, wine, plum like smells.
The taste was that of a thick, and powerful potion, with a middling bitter at the end. It was good, but not one to drink in mass quantities. It's one that I'll try again at the next release.

3.92/5  rDev -12.7%

2010 Vintage

A-Black thick oil liquid black. Just as a Good Imperial Stout should be. VERY long lasting light brown head.

S- Milk chocolate and roasted malts dominate.

T-Chocolate and roast blend but not what I expected from this very hyped beer. I was left wanting, it is a decent stout but nothing exceptional.

M-Medium full bodied, would have preferred a more viscous fluid to chew on.

D-Was good, not great. Expected more, was left wanting. It doesn't compare to some of the other great Imp Stouts wondering out there. Wish for a more balance smooth flavor with it also being more intense.

4.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Andy shared this one for his 100th tick! This one is the 2009 vintage poured into a tulip. The beer pours pitch black into a tulip with a big creamy looking tan head that sits atop the beer retaining itself very nicely. The aroma is very chocolatey initially with big roasty aromas lingering in the background with dark fruit and a bit of charred kind of smoke characteristics. The taste follows the smell pretty well. Really enjoyable roasty flavors with chocolate undertones. The beer is slightly sweet with a bit of hoppy bitterness in the finish. All around very enjoyable. The mouthfeel is very thick and chewy. Light carbonation and a robust body make it great. Definitely an great one but at a big 10.3 this one hides the alcohol very well, but still ends up being a sipper.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Darkness from Surly Brewing Company