Darkness - Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ryantupy on 10-08-2006

Starting in 2014, bottled Darkness will be aged in whiskey barrels. This listing is ONLY for Darkness that is NOT barrel-aged. For 2014 Darkness go here:  http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/p ... 14/141724/

Labels:
2007-Grim Reaper
2008-Devil
2009-Mummy
2010-Vampire
2011-Zombie
2012 - Werewolf
2013 - Brewcifer
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Darkness Alström Bros

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Review# 300

Darkness 2011 – Zombie print
750ml with a Goblet style glass
*Aged for one year

Thanks Allen!

A: Pours a nice lush viscosity albeit thinner than I was anticipating. Sits dark black and obsidian like in the glass with just the slightest dark almond edge. Lighter than expected as well. First pour was relatively calm in terms of head. Others yielded a good half finger of sand paper froth that settles out to just a crown within a few minutes. Nice receding legs and dots of cling upon the glass.

S: Smells of sweetened chocolate syrup, think Hershey’s, mixed with a deep perfume of dark fruits and berries. Roasted cocoa nibs, dampened wood, and some black strap molasses. An amazingly complex blend of roasts.

T: Darkness is a sweet RIS with an expressive array of deep rich roasted malt flavors. Bitter dark chocolates, dark fruits - plum, dark berries, and toffee. I get some secondary notes of dark molasses, earthy wood, and a distinct meaty soy component. This beer has a nice peppering bitterness throughout and some warming alcohol heat. Really sweet yet remarkably balanced and drinkable for that fact. Alcohol seems quite restrained here. Hops really cut through that heavy sweetness allowing for the next sip. Delicious stuff!

M: Moderately heavy feel with a smooth consistency that leaves this one slick and creamy across the tongue. A bit syrupy at first bit with a nice drying lift from the carbonation. Finishes on the wetter side.

D: A big bold RIS full of complex roast character that is just simply delicious. Drinks much on the sweeter side and should be approached almost as a dessert beer. Remarkably crafted though with enough hop bitterness and drying lift to keep this one rather quaffable. A really badass brew all around. I will be looking to try this one fresh but think this is drinking quite well right now and should stand up well for another 6-12 months with no issues.

I am very happy to have such a solid trader. Do want!

4.46/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Opaque and black; thick one finger head that really holds its form; lacing is great

S: Roasted chocolate malts; a piny hops is also strong; subtle smokiness, molasses, and coffee

T: The piny hops is prevalent but the dark cocoa is dominant; this beer is so smooth and the alcohol isn't noticable at all

F: So smooth and creamy; such a wonderful mouith coating and amazing mouth feel

D: This is a nearly perfect RIS; the alcohol is so well-masked; it is smooth, dark, creamy, and so damn delicious. Mmmm.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Halloween Bash 2010. The VIP at the party was the Surly Darkness. Shared with the LArse, Zapps, and Cpie. I cannot think of a better way to starting out an enchanted evening. This review should probably be #666 but I will probably be 666 but the time I get to that number. Shout to SpeedwayJim for this bottle.

2009 DARKNESS

I made my way through the chophouse, the spider web, the grim reaper, and the bloody black roses to my beer fridge. I took the bottle in hand, scurried to the bar and quickly placed it down. There was a strange energy surrounding the bottle. As I got closer to it I felt more and more empty inside. The mummy on the front had me begging Zapps to stay close and protect me. I grabbed Jlynn's heavy duty bottle opener of the orange dish. Stabbing at the bottle cutting through the wax left me out of breath. Finally I reached the cap and quickly pried it open before I was thrown backwards by an unkown force. Looking up at the bottle I could see spirits escaping which reminded me of the micronized Ghostbusters ghost trap. I broke out my proton pack and quickly secured them in the containment unit. Cautiously making my way back to the bottle I secured some tulips. I poured the thick sludge into my tulip and noticed a low carbonation level and the consistency of a Transylvanian Moat. A tan almost brown head jumped out of the moat like vampires of the night hunting for their prey. Finding myself in a trance like state I quickly looked away. I finally gathered the courage to take a sniff with my eyes closed. Roasted bat malts, plum witches dances around my noise hairs. After two years of lifting weights in my beer fridge the hops are still going strong. I picked up this evil liquid and took a sip. Feeling slightly possesed I could sense tons of different malts. The most impressive fruit profile of any stout I've ever had. So many flavors coming through. Despite the robust chocolaty coffee notes, the fruit dominated. What an interesting demon. Very low carbonation despite the exorcism. The demons sucked the bubbles out. As with any massive 10.3 ABV stout this one is a sipper. It's not meant to be chugged like a coors light. The drinkability is amazing. Alcohol is very well hidden. Mouthfeel is smooth as a witches broom handle. Unless I go to MN on darkness Day or trade another precious KTG this will probably be my only Darkness. What an impressive brewery. Very glad I got to try this one. Happy Halloween.

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

Sampled several times at ACBF, the folks pouring from the table got to know me pretty well. Reviewed from notes...

A- pours an ink-black with a chocolate, mocha like head that starts at about half the cup and shrinks down to a solid two inches. This is one of the best looking beers I have ever seen.

S- dark chocolate and coffee, and some oakiness and earthiness as well.

T/M- whoa, the dark chocolate definitely comes through, but is nuanced with licorice, winter fruits, raisins. A slight suggestion of smoke as well, perhaps in the form of some tobacco like qualities. The taste is incredibly complex. It's a little hot, but nothing too boozy. The mouthfeel is medium to thick, not as thick as I would prefer but still nice.

O- this really is one of the best RIS beers I have ever had, and maybe the best I've had period. I have seen the darkness, and it was indeed enlightening.

4.05/5  rDev -10%

Review #500

2011 Zombie bottle

Pours very black, dark as night with an eager finger of light brown head. Stringy and spotted lacing.

The nose has a ton of anise and bitter chocolate. If I take a huge whiff, the abv comes through slightly. Cocoa and licorice.

The flavors are heavy on bakers chocolate and anise. The is some sweetness involved but the dry roasty flavors take over. Roasty, dark, slightly sweet, and full of anise. Solid for the style but I had hoped for more.

The mouthfeel is sticky and rich, mixed with those dry bakers chocolate flavors. Sweet, roasty and dry. This is the best part of this beer.

Overall, I expected much more going into this because I have had many off the shelve beers that are just as good, if not better. Too much hype behind this one. Solid top tier stout but not near the best or even near it.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

2.5/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

majorly disappointed with this, was overly malty

Darkness from Surly Brewing Company