Smoke - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2007

Ebony-hued, Smoke wafts out of the bottle and into your senses, borne on the wings of European traditions, wrapped in American innovation. Lager-brewed, like any true Baltic Porter, with smoked malts from Bamberg, Germany, the home of Rauchbiers, then mellowed by oak-aging. Black malt flavors mesh with notes of raisins, plums, figs and licorice with the subtle smoke on the side, for a complex and luxurious, yet silky smooth drinking experience. It's a sipper at Alc. 8.2% by VOL., but everyone knows you can't have Smoke without fire!
4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

On-tap at the Blue Nile for the Surly Three release party.

A: Very dark brown with lighter edges, no head at all but I'm going to call that the bartenders fault.

S: Burnt coffee and smokeiness with strong roasted malts and strong molasses.

T: Highly roasted malts upfront that subside into pure smoked flavor rolling into a bitter roasted coffee finish. Excellent, this brew knows what it wants to be and pulls it off perfectly. With so much smokey and roasted tones it stays very well balanced between precise flavors. Best Baltic Porter I've had!

Overall: Very good porter, nice arbonation and very enjoyable as far as mouthfeel goes. Highly drinkable beer as well, the alcohol doesn't come out as much as it should for such a high abv beer. One of Surly's most impressive.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

This is an exceptionally good beer that was on my elusive list of things to track down, I had all but given up hope when growler sales were stopped, but go figure the day they are someone offers me a trade! Hell yeah. 64oz growler at cellar temp, this one was poured into multiple pint glasses and consumed on 01.11.2009.

The pour was very big. Deep, Dark brown in color with no light coming through this one at all. A rich tan head of three inches came up over the top of the glass and took a few moments to settle down, meanwhile some very nice lacing was developing on the sides and the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich, dark fruit notes. Lots of prunes and plum smells coming off of this, with roasted malts, and a nice smoke smell. Not your huge campfire peat, this was massively complex with hints of bourbon like alcohol bouncing around in here as well. The flavor, well was outstanding. I really cannot explain how good this came off for the style. Rich roasted malts, hints of chocolate, dark fruits, hints of alcohol and a wonderful smoke flavor that came through perfectly in the finish. Smooth, mellow feel, with a nice full bodied and well carbonated texture. This was a big beer, there was no hiding that, however it was a superb sipper, just perfectly well balanced and enormously smooth, I sipped on this one all day long and loved every second of it.

Overall I cannot say enough good things about this one, it was one of the best Baltic Porters I have ever had and tasted more complex then just about anything else in the category. This is a must get that it looks like you will have to go to MN to go get now.

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

On-tap at Cafe 28.

A: Served to me in a Surly Darkness snifter. Dark black color with brown hues as the light shines through. There is a slight brown tinged head that dwindles fairly quickly.

S: Definitely smoky, but not too much. Actually less smoke than I expected and more roasted grains. It smells more like a foreign export stout than a smoke beer. There is definitely some smoke there to let it live up to the name.

T: Smoky flavors predominate, but not overwhelming. There is a nice chocolate and roasted grain flavor as well. Not as "burnt" tasting as some smoke beers. There are some caramel-toffee flavors as well. Not a lot of hops, but this fits this beer well.

M: Medium to full bodied mouthfeel. More crisp than creamy.

D: Overall, a pretty solid beer. I'm not a big fan of smoked things and I actually liked this beer. I think it is well balanced in regards to the smoky flavors. It really fit well with my adobo pork dish. I'd try this again with certain foods, but probably not on its own. I'll search for it when I have another adobo dish or if I have something in the way of a bacon cheddar burger. I'd recommend giving this one a whirl.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

My first "smokey" porter that I have ever drank. Have had this on several occasions: at the brewery, from a growler, and on tap around town.

A: Nice black body with 2 cm head that resolved itself within 50 seconds.

S: This guy smells roasted, toasted, and left in a smokey room.

T: Introduced with lots of roast, the name really implies the majority of the flavor. With a salesmen mentality you could pass this off as roasted bacon beer. Strange but was enjoyable. The ABV was well hidden in its smokey soul.

M: Smooth, drying, felt just right

D: I can't see being excessive with this beer, have had 5-6 pints of this to date, but never back to back. Also, maybe it's psychological, but this thing tasted better at the brewery...I swear.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Got a 2nd chance to review this, the first being on tap, this one from a growler filled 12/30/08.

Poured from my growler into an oversized snifter. Color is all blackout out, with a 1 finger fizzy brown head. Thin greasy brown streaks of lcae are left behind. A small thin layer of retention sits atop the beer.

Aroma is quit toasty with charred oak. It smeels like burnt buttered wheat toast.
Ceral grains, wiffs of dark chocolate and smokey burnt wood. It smells like a summer sausage.

Mouthfeel this time around is much more smooth and creamy. Its somwhat thick with a mellow amount of carbonation up front. Kind of a summer sausage like flavor, not so much the meat, but the smokey skin on weiner flavors. Slight resemblance here folks, dont let this tidbit ruin it for you.
Molasses flavors, some dark fruit and a hint of cherries. Smokey charred oak comes out through the swallow. Lingering after the swallow with a bittering dark roastiness.

Very good, much better then my plastic cup at the brewery. No signs of alcahol at the knose, but some mild warming comes around after the swallow with the lingering bitterness.

4.41/5  rDev +6.5%

I had this little gem on tap at Cafe Twenty-eight in Minneapolis. If you are looking for Surly beer on tap, this is the place to go, as one of the Surly brewmasters is part owner. When I was there they had Furious, Smoke and Darkness on tap!

Absolutely pitch black pour with no light getting through at all. A healthy light tan head of about half a finger width came with the pour.

The aroma was not real intense but did have a smoky and salty quality about it.

The flavor was big and unforgiving! A big molasses nose gave way to a smoky, dry, and slightly hopped finish. There is a slight hint of smoked meat in there, sort of like smoked ham. Wide mouthfeel seems to pulverize every tastebud in the mouth.

A Beautiful beer!

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at the Extreme Beer Fest on 2/15/08: As the name suggests, a lot of smoke in the aroma and taste. Also bitterness and slight roastiness. A good, typical example of a smoked beer.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

I love surlys so I decided to give this one a try even. Though I don't care for smoked beer. Surlys is always making good things so here we go.
A= a deep blackout color with a tiny head that lasts through the entire drink. Not much lacing however which was a little dissapointing
S= it smells smokey for sure. Deep in it I notice some plum and fig notes.
T= smokey up front for sure. Unique like a smoked bacon or something. Not my favorite but they accomplished what they wanted. It wasn't as overpowering as some other smoked beers. The middle some of the regular porter comes through with the figs and plums followed quickly again by the deep smoked flavor.
M= light and smooth not expected. I thought I would find it to be very heavy. There is no carbonation though.
D= for me not to high. It was fun to try but it was just not my style. I graded it higher because it accomplished what they whated to accomplish... just not for me though

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Served in a snifter at the Muddy Pig, St. Paul, MN.

A-Arrived a sphere of blackness in a snifter, topped with 1 cm brown head which promptly reduced a ring around the edge. The beer was beautiful, black and opaque, allowing nothing through. As the snifter was emptied, I could detect the slightest ruby-brown highlights on the edges.

S-Hearty, heavy roasted malts, matched with a strong smokiness. Some esters trying to poke their character through.

T-A definite smokey character emerges on the first sip and lingers into the aftertaste. Heavy on the roasted and toasted malts, but avoids a rough astringency. Hearty and warming flavors, no alcoholic harshness. The bitterness is just enough to keep some of the malts in check. An enjoyable smokiness lingers on my palate for quite a bit.

M-Medium carbonation, moderate body. This beer has some weight behind it, but also has an almost refreshing light character. Silky with just a hint of roughness.

D-I like this beer. It's tasty, with it's namesake smokey flavor prominent, but not near overpowering the balance of the flavor. It's an enjoyable brew, hearty and great to enjoy while watching the wind blow outside. Complex in flavor, enjoyable to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Black color with a thin tan head.

S- Slight smoky nose interesting. A almost beefy quality.

T- Smoky flavor upfront then a nice dry malt. The taste then ends with the smoke again nice with a faint hint of jerky but nothing like some other smoked beers.

M- Nice thin which pairs well with the flavors and good activity.

D- A slow drinker but nice.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap at several Mpls locations.

Tough job for the Smoke here. Had a bunch of Darkness a few days before trying it. Was hard not to compare the two. And Darkness is a tough competitor for any beer.

Pours dark. Nice head. Smells more bitter than Darkness, more of a typical stout feel. (even though it's technically a Baltic Porter) Taste is good, some smoke/bacon, bitter roasted character, good mouthfeel, a little dark sweetness keeping it interesting. Even better as it warms up.

A good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

I had wanted to try this for a long ass time... I was stoked when I saw they had it at D-Day.

Pours very dark, nearly pitch black. Good brown head that holds and leaves lots of lacing. Very sweet and very smoky. Loads of smoke but not really abrasive, which is impressive. The hops come out much more in the drink, some citrus and loads of resins. Deep cola tastes with grapy notes and loads of dark sweetness. The smoke balances throughout the drink and seems to be in all the tastes. Body is nearly full and very smooth. ABV is big and this was my last review of the day, lol.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

First off I am not a huge fan of Smoked beers, so this review is really my own.
Nice black pour, with a huge light tan head that stays forever. Lacing is as good as it gets.
Aroma is malty, chocolate and caramel sweetness. And of course there is a touch of smoke in there, but not too much to turn me off.
Taste is a nice malt sweetness coming from the caramel, with a touch of toffee and chocolate. Again, like the aroma, there is some smoke it there, but it is nicely subtle, as well as some roasted malts also. And just a nice little touch of spicy hops.
Mouthfeel is nice and full, with a great smoothness to it, and I could drink a few of these easily.

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

I drank this beer at Darkness Day, and wrote down all my opinions and took a while a get it here. I was a volenteer, pouring beer off the brite tanks(where the beer is carbonated).

I poured this beer into my darkness goblet. We sold more of this beer than any other, 85% of the beers we poured were smoke.

It pours a dark brown/black color, with a little bubbly head, not a lot but, sticky. It smells like roasted coffee and smoked malts, lots and lots of smoke. It tastes like liquid smoke was added, or lots of peat smoked malt was used. Its smooth and drinkable, I had probably 6-8 of them during my time pouring them
It was overall a GREAT beer, one of the best I have ever had, maybe it was just the freshness of the beer, or the fact that I was drinking it at the brewery, but it was sooo good.

Had this on tap at D-Day. Poured a dark brown color, nice tan foam. Smoke in the nose mixed some sweet malts, and light hop bitterness. Nice smoke flavor, some chocolate, and green hoppiness. I find it hard to believe that the ABV was 9.5% on that brew. It was easily drinkable, but the smoke flavor is only good for one beer at a time. Nice and interesting offering from Surly. D-Day was great, and was glad I had the opportunity to try this one.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

2008 batch, sampled at Darkness Day.

Baltic porter, eh? Not quite. Not quite a smoked beer or a rauchbier, either. Surly don't like coloring inside the lines, I guess.

Pours very dark and black, nearly opaque with mild ruby hues, and a big retentive brown head.

Smells lightly like smoke, unlike your run of the mill smokes, which often smell overpoweringly like smoke. This is blended with rough porter malt, medium, dry hops, and some unusual (but very nice) nodes of citrus.

Tastes like a whole bunch all at once. Starts off with the porter grain, bittersweet, and then the smoke rushes in and lightly dusts every other flavor that comes afterward. There's a sweet phase, marked by hoppy citrus and brown-aleish sweet malt. This is followed up quickly by a darker, meatier phase that's more common in smoke beers. And I mean "meatier" in the literal sense. This tastes a bit like a Swiss Colony gift set, and in a very nice way.

Neat. I usually think of rauchbiers and smokes as occasional treats, brews you might finish the night with but you would never consider pounding at length. This is easily the most drinkable, session-ready smoke beer I've ever come across. It certainly didn't taste like it was 9.5% ABV, and frankly I'd be surprised if that listing wasn't in error, but if it's anywhere close to correct that holy mother this is one dangerous beer.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Darkness Day, 2008. Poured into brand new Surly Goblet. Straight outta the big steel beer-makin' tanks inside the Surly brewery.

Yummy dark dark brown appearance, glimmers of scarlet on the edges break out in the October sun. Head is resilient and oh so yummy looking.

Taste and smell are of course smokey, but in a smooth, fine cigar kinda way. The aftertaste actually reminds me of the taste of a very good cigar. There is something else present, as well. I have heard it called burnt bacon, but I don't quite get that. I get more of a maybe, slowcooked bbq type of essence. Not bbq sauce, but the smokiness.

So far this review makes it sound like something out of a bonfire, but I am just glazing over the moniker. There is actually so much more present. Slight twinges of sweetness, spice and bitterness thrown in right where it needs to be. Back it up with some alcohol burn and you are in business.

After the glass is gone there is sticky spider webs of lacing left over the whole inside of the glass.

I could have had about 3 more of these, highlighting the drinkability. Its good stuff.

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

Found at the Blue Nile. (reviewed from notes)

This beer pours a dark black with raisin highlights and a creamy ring of irregular cola-like head.

Smells of sweet, rich rauch smoke with a nice and subtle ham. There's some dark fruits and a dry dark chocolate, but it's sweetness holds back.

Tastes thick and creamy like chocolate milk with a sour snap of smokey grain. This is oddly reminiscent of a garden salad. There's a sour sting or tingle to this too of pungent rye bread.

Feels big, slick and frothy, but far from sticky. Nice.

It's really easy to forget this one's 9.5%. Watch out!

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Quite dark with a little brown at the edges and a tan head. The aroma is of charred malt, anise, and quite a bit of smokiness, peaty but not obtuse or obnoxious. Some sweet chocolate as well. The taste comes in quite a few layers with each sip. Right away you can tell its a big, chocolatey porter, but then quickly the peaty, smokiness shows up, reminiscent of smoked bacon and other meats, but that unfolds rather quickly to chocolaty-ness again, tannins and vanilla notes from the oak aging, along with some anise and fruity plums and raisins. Rather full bodied and there is some quite noticeable alcohol, but with all of the flavors going on its really quite unoffensive.

Overall: I am not the biggest smoked beer fan, so I am not gangbusters over this beer. But you have to respect the quality or this beer, and all the flavor juxtaposition going on. The smokiness was toned back enough that I could really enjoy it, especially when having one with a meal, rather than as session ale.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Tasted at The Map Room.

Dark, dark brown in color -- nearly black but not quite -- with a thin brown head. Aroma is almost all smoke, with some bitter chocolate and espresso notes.

The taste follows the nose, with a lot of smoke (but not too much) accented with dark chocolate and espresso touches. Nicely drinkable and creamy in the mouth.

Very good quaff.

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at Map Room. Pours murky brown with a slight reddish cast and a thin tan head.

The aroma is dominated by malts, with scents of dark chocolate and some residual sugar. A faint suggestion of salty smokiness is present in the background.

The flavor opens up similarly, chocolate flavors predominant, with a smokiness that grows quickly and overtakes but does not completely wash out the malt flavors. Some black patent bitterness appears in the finish (along with the slightest hint of hops), but smoked sausage is at the forefront. Alcohol is detectable only as warmth.

The beer is medium to full-bodied with low carbonation and some stouty viscosity.

Drinkability is all right for such a big, smoky beer, but I really couldn't handle more than a full glass of this.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Served in a 12 oz. tulip.

Color was the darkest shade of brown, nearly black. A ring of crimson highlight was visible at the very edge, once the foam had settled. Tight, compact head of khaki foam that left spotty lacing.

Slight sweetness in the nose, some yeast esters producing a vague cloviness, without much smokiness.

Flavors of smoked malt, some chocolate, fairly subdued. It has a slight lactic feel to it, but not especially creamy, just enough to make it medium-bodied. Clean feeling with a residual taste of hop bitterness and char.

Overall good, easy to drink, could use more smoke aroma and flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Served in a tulip glass at Map Room 1/13/08. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pitch black. Tar black. Black as the pits of hell! Capping this glass of evil is a tight and dark-khaki head that left interesting looking lines of wavy lace in the glass.

S: Huge aromas of smoked malt, campfire, dark fruit, dark chocolate, espresso, and applewood smoked bacon.

T: See above with a healthy dose of hops. One of the flavors reminded me of dark chocolate covered bacon.

M: Quite peppery and bitter, true to the style. The bitter mouthfeel backed off a little as it warmed and turned decidedly creamy.

D: Proper serving temp is the key with this. This drank like a porter with half the abv. Excellent.

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap in a tulip glass at Stub&Herbs, this pours a beautiful opaque black color, with a minimal white head and scant white lacing on the glass. The smell is faint. I detect an alcoholic, brandy-like smell. The taste is wonderfully complex, with a cherry brandy flavor, along with a smoky toasty chocolate malt presence, as well as a slight taste of vanilla. There is just enough hop presence to balance the other flavors. This is a terrific tasting beer, with rich and lingering flavors. The high alcohol content is the only thing marring the drinkability. This is another exceptional beer from Surly.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ Chef Paul's

I thought this would be a good way to venture out into the world of smoked beers. When my chalice arrived, it looked like 12 oz of night was put down in front of me... the head has dissipated by the time it arrived.

It smelt of burnt leaves and overdone corners of chocolate cake. The taste was a little off-putting at first (it was if I was standing over a pile of burning leaves while drinking) but it's high drinkability factor and creamy mouthfeel made this a winner.

I'm not sure if I like smoked beer or not but I could tell there was a lot at work here and I would love to try this again if given the opportunity.

Smoke from Surly Brewing Company