Smoke - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2007

Ebony-hued, Smoke wafts out of the bottle and into your senses, borne on the wings of European traditions, wrapped in American innovation. Lager-brewed, like any true Baltic Porter, with smoked malts from Bamberg, Germany, the home of Rauchbiers, then mellowed by oak-aging. Black malt flavors mesh with notes of raisins, plums, figs and licorice with the subtle smoke on the side, for a complex and luxurious, yet silky smooth drinking experience. It's a sipper at Alc. 8.2% by VOL., but everyone knows you can't have Smoke without fire!

4.96/5  rDev +21.3%

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

This is an exceptionally good beer that was on my elusive list of things to track down, I had all but given up hope when growler sales were stopped, but go figure the day they are someone offers me a trade! Hell yeah. 64oz growler at cellar temp, this one was poured into multiple pint glasses and consumed on 01.11.2009.

The pour was very big. Deep, Dark brown in color with no light coming through this one at all. A rich tan head of three inches came up over the top of the glass and took a few moments to settle down, meanwhile some very nice lacing was developing on the sides and the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich, dark fruit notes. Lots of prunes and plum smells coming off of this, with roasted malts, and a nice smoke smell. Not your huge campfire peat, this was massively complex with hints of bourbon like alcohol bouncing around in here as well. The flavor, well was outstanding. I really cannot explain how good this came off for the style. Rich roasted malts, hints of chocolate, dark fruits, hints of alcohol and a wonderful smoke flavor that came through perfectly in the finish. Smooth, mellow feel, with a nice full bodied and well carbonated texture. This was a big beer, there was no hiding that, however it was a superb sipper, just perfectly well balanced and enormously smooth, I sipped on this one all day long and loved every second of it.

Overall I cannot say enough good things about this one, it was one of the best Baltic Porters I have ever had and tasted more complex then just about anything else in the category. This is a must get that it looks like you will have to go to MN to go get now.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

On-tap @ the Darkness release..

For a beer titled very blatantly "Smoke" I expected this to taste like a charcoal briquette wrapped in bacon... Needless to say, I was surprised at my first sip to find that this is one very eloquent & well-thought out beer. The smoked malt flavor is subtle and provides lingering notes rather than the punch-in-the-face that most smoked brews offer.

I had no idea of the abv when I was consuming this nectar by the glass...but I assumed it was in the 5-7% range...I find out now it's nearly 10%...amazing. That being said, it's so delicious and easy-to-drink. The soft woody flavors & smoked malts are complex and make this unlike any beer out there. I need another chance to pick apart the flavors a bit more...hopefully this will be widely available to the public soon.

there's just one thing I'd like to say to the folks at Surly...is there anything you can't do??

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Dark chocolate colored pint with thin off white lacing, ok head retention

S-Campfire! Nice smokey aroma reminiscent of cooking over a wood fire in the fall, hints of toasted malt and cacao

T-Wow doesn't disappoint! Sweet and smokey like cherry wood smoked bacon, big malty flavor of chocolate and dark Munich malt

M-Full bodied, mild carbonation, lingering smokiness

O-Excellent smoked beer, very complex and a delight to taste, yet altogether very drinkable and balanced,would gladly have another. Don't know how true this beer is to the Baltic porter style, I think its really in its own category or should be in some specialty hybrid category of smoked beers.

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

I drank this beer at Darkness Day, and wrote down all my opinions and took a while a get it here. I was a volenteer, pouring beer off the brite tanks(where the beer is carbonated).

I poured this beer into my darkness goblet. We sold more of this beer than any other, 85% of the beers we poured were smoke.

It pours a dark brown/black color, with a little bubbly head, not a lot but, sticky. It smells like roasted coffee and smoked malts, lots and lots of smoke. It tastes like liquid smoke was added, or lots of peat smoked malt was used. Its smooth and drinkable, I had probably 6-8 of them during my time pouring them
It was overall a GREAT beer, one of the best I have ever had, maybe it was just the freshness of the beer, or the fact that I was drinking it at the brewery, but it was sooo good.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Release party at the Muddy Pig. I live ~4 miles from the bar, and getting there was still an adventure. Kudos to the Surly staff for actually getting there.

This beer was served way too cold. In order to really appreciate it, I had to let it warm it in my hands for a good 5-10 minutes.

Appearance was certainly dark, but not as dark as one might expect. I had Darkness the night before, though, so perhaps my radar is a bit off. There was a small head that stuck around like it was doing someone a favor - there for a minute, but leaving way too early. This may have been a function of how cold this was.

Only good things from here on out: Smell was a subtle, but definite smoke. Not an over-the-top Rauchbier, but a slight woody campfire aroma, mixed with some excellent toffee, roasted aromas that made this an exceptional brew.

The taste was similar to the aroma, but I was surprised at how restrained the Smoke flavor actually was. Wow! Again, maybe because it was so damn cold, the smoke flavor didn't come out until the back end. Up front, it was much lighter than I had expected. I knew going in about the 9.5% ABV, but if I were to guess, I would have pegged it at 6-7%. Silky roastiness with toffee and mild chocolate, and, again, the back end with a truly elegant smoky finish. Not as much hops as I would expect from a Surly brew, but it was so well balanced.

This was a phenomenal brew. This is probably the best Surly brew behind Darkness. I polished one of these off easily and I could have pounded more, but I felt compelled to try the TeaBagged Furious cask.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Served very cold in a tulip-like goblet at Muddy Pig: Plain glossy black. No head was present when served on any of my orders? I'm sure, perhaps at point of pour there may have been, but I saw none. A glare of oily residue coats the glass while flecks and specks of lace frantically stick about the surface.

Heavy, dark, aroma of deep dark fruity tanged fig, raisin, with a nice rounded black malt sweetness. Crisp and fresh smelling at first wiff. Only slight smoked ascents at first but it grows with a delicate and gradual nudge as it warms. Creating more smoked bacon tendencies as it goes as does a bit more roasted deepness.

Wonderfully broad deep flavors. Clean, invitingly deep, lasting flavors of all sorts of malts with caramel smoothness, black malt sweetness, roasted malt dryness, and smoked malt tangyness. Mildly figgy and raisin paste make for a nice quick tang of a dark fruity nature upfront. The smoked meat flavors are a near perfect match as it is never overpowering in any fashion. Its just a mild yet fulfillingly rich and well blended tone all across the palate. Notes of burnt rubarb pie, black cracked pepper, cocoa, and vanilla create nice little additional things among the smokey realm of its character. Lots of subtle layers and melding flavors in this one. A smoked crockpot of malts if you will. Nice!

Body is smooth, clean, and partially silky with a well handled tang of dark fruit and smoke. Tends to get slippery real quick as its medium body isn't a thick monster of malt. Its quite casual and leads you easily into a lull of drinkin ease and great flavors.

The drinkability is outstanding! Ahhh, but here is where I think that term "Smoke" came from other then the obvious use of smoked malts. As its the ABV that renders itself like smoke from a fire smoldering in your head. It builds slowly at first, filling your head gradually with smoke, eventually, and before you know it your head is a blaze of swimming glee from the ABV. Wow, one sneaky fuckin beer! Watch out for this one, be sure to drink water to help slow the smoke. Whew...

Looks good
Smells like a good balance of smoke and chocolate
Tastes great. My palate is playing tricks on me. Skipping from chocolate to smoke and back and forth and back and forth.
Great mouthfeel.Very easy going down but rich on the tongue. Good stuff.
Overall I really like this. Been craving some smoke and this is doing the job. Surly hits another one out of the park for me.

Smoke from Surly Brewing Company