Mild - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 01-20-2008

This mild greets you with a deep rich color that lets you know exactly what you are getting in for. Dry flavor with hearty caramel and toffee overtones. The perfect complement to a salty or smoky dish. Great example of a little explored style. (243 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Ever since I got into beers and learned about Surly I was always curious about Surly's version of a mild. Furious and Bender are so incredible that I can only assume their Mild would be bomb.com. Right? Plus I LOVE a good mild. Drank from a Surly pint glass at the #12th best bar in America (which is bullshit because I've been at 3 of the top 10 and S&H is considerably better...).

Appearance- Pours a fairly dark brownish crimson with a somewhat small off-white head. A damned nice cap and collar are left almost the entire beer but not a whole lot of lacing is left.
Smell- Super toasty and nutty. It's got a sort of toasted hazelnut like nose. I know I'm gonna love this because the nose is simple and solid. Like it should be.
Taste- Roasted and toasted as the nutty malt is spot f'n on. I know I've used this before in my homebrewed Mild but it's slightly more aggressive. This is what I wanted mine to be. Some light chocolaty tones creep in as does a touch of smoke. The hops are slightly more noticeable than you'd fully expect from a mild, but this is Surly. A light citric bitterness creeps in the finish with maybe a hint of lemon.
Mouthfeel- Pretty light but able to hold its own all things considered. Medium carbonation that prickly and nice adds to the greatness of this beer.
Drinkability- Must confess. I glanced at the other reviews of this beer as I am reviewing it and was shocked at the scores. I guess I'm a Surly fanboy for the most part (minus shitty Darkness) but this is the best beer I've had from them. I'm far from the style police but this brew is on point. Flavorful, drinkable, and just plain tasty! (1,633 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Just tried a pint at my favorite bar, Stub and Herb's. It was the perfect beer for wrapping up my night, as I was looking for something delicious, drinkable, and low in alcohol. The beer appeared a rich auburn color, with a dense and smooth head that fit precisely to my expectations for an English Dark Mild. The aroma was toasty and sweet with hints of toffee. The first sip teased my taste buds with a light creamy sweet flavor that evolved into a caramel malty finish. It went down superbly smooth, leaving me with a light chocolate/toffee aftertaste. In the mouth, it felt substantial in a way that it was thick, but not too heavy...the description may not be too precise, but it is what I expect from the style. Lastly, the drinkability was unrivaled by anything I have had in recent memory. I could drink this all day and all night long. I am sad that I will not get any while watching the Superbowl tomorrow.

Good work Todd!

Cheers (942 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL.

Aroma:Nicely malty and dark.

Appearance:Brown in color, ok head.

Taste:Tons of dark malts, caramel, chocolate, coffee. This tastes hugely malty.

Mouthfeel:Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability:Fantastic tasting beer, refreshing and flavorful. As a homebrewer, I find this beer reminiscent of prefermented wort. (362 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

On-tap at the Blue Nile at the Surly Three release party.

A: Pours a deep brown, much darker than I expected it to be. Small off-white head with okay retention and not much lacing. Looks very nice though

S: Very mellow with malty tones accompanied by earthy tones and some caramel/toffee.

T: Mellow and mild of course with strong malts and caramel flavor with some small earth tones and a little bit of clove. For the style it's very good, although mild, as it should be, its complex and delicious!

Overall: Great tasting beer with moderate carbonation that made almost perfect feeling and amazingly drinkable, something I could sip on all day long. Very impressive for the style, another great one from Surly. (714 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Brit's Pub in Minneapolis, MN. Served in a classic English pub glass.

Appearance: A very Dark brown with some ruby red and copper color. Solid two fingers of creamy off white head with decent retention and lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet and dark aroma of roasted malts with hints of caramel, toffee, chocolate, nuts, spice, oat, and a little citrus orange. Also some herbal hops in the mix. A pretty balanced aroma.

Taste: Roasty and somewhat sweet. Roasted caramel malts with good notes of toffee, nuts, oat, citrus orange, and a little rye like spice. Finishes with some nicely bitter and spicy earthy hops. Good balance of malts and hops. Tastes kind of like a more roasty version of Surly's Surlyfest.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Creamy and finishes fairly dry. Pretty rich feel for a smaller beer.

Overall: A very good take on the English Dark Mild. Pretty full flavored and hearty for a lower abv beer. Fairly easy to drink but not exactly a session ale to me. A very good beer overall. (1,071 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Ngon Bistro.

Semi transparent brown color with a very fluffy tan head that leaves a little lace.

Smells of lightly roasted malt and some coffee.

As I understand, this is not made with coffee, but it sure tastes like it. Quite roasty with some coffee. Light hint of hops. Very tasty for a beer of only 4% abv.

Almost medium bodied which is hard to believe in a beer at 4%. Creamy smooth and enjoyable.

Absolute session beer. This is an all around awesome beer. When I hear "mild", this is not what comes to mind. This looks, tastes and feels like a big beer, but drinks so easy. (596 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Stout, Chicago.

Poured a deep Amber hue with a one finger foamy tan head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured roasted malts, burnt sugar and a grassy hop.

The taste offered the same roasted characteristics with a balancing herbal hop and clean toasted finish.

The mouthfeel was clean and dry.

Overall a superior dark mild. (364 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at Churchkey during the Surly 10-tap event for Omar's visit to DC. Served in a goblet.

Pours a very dark brown, bordering on black. There was a good tan head and some nice lacing on the way down. The nose brought some roasted malt and a bit of coffee. Good integration that gets even better in the flavor. Packed with beautiful malt notes, especially considering the low abv. Light-medium body with a slight bit of chewiness and nice carbonation. Overall, a really excellent beer. (488 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Pizzeria Lola. Poured into a pint glass, nice deep mahogany, slight reddish hue at the bottom, abundant cream head and killer lacing.

Nicely sweet malt, cocoa nibs and slight orange.

Rich chocolate malts, light a chocolatier Bender. Cereal, chocolate pudding. Wonderfully sweet.

Smooth, perhaps a little on the thick side, but not by much.

So good, so smooth, so much flavor for such a low abv! (408 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

OK, so this is an interesting story, at least to me. I stop in at Stub and Herb's, specifically for this beer, and was told before it was even poured that Mild is now being brewed with coffee. I hadn't heard this, but took the bartender's word for it. Pours a dark amber color, nearly brown in the middle, with a small off-white head. Aroma is, well, mild with a touch of coffee, some toffee, and caramel sweetness. Taste follows suit. I was surprised with the coffee flavor in the background. Light caramel, some breadiness, and no bitterness. Medium mouthfeel, light carbonation. Again, I was really surprised by the coffee presence in this beer. It was almost like a watered down coffee bender without any of the dark/roasted maltiness in there. Good, easy drinker. (768 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been waiting forever to try this beer. I'm mostly an "at home" drinker, so it has been difficult for me to get out and find a place with this brew. I tried Busters, but they were out. Tonight I made it to the great Stub and Herbs and was able to grab a pint.

This beer is presented to me in a standard pint glass. A light white head crowns this ruddy brown-red beer. Very beautiful. Like a dark amber piece of jewelry. I don't get the cloudiness others have witnessed. Not overly carbonated, which is what I believe is appropriate for this style. The aroma is very unique. Earthy, with a tobacco like smell. I hate tobacco, but for some reason this aroma appealed to me. There are some toffee undertones.

I was extremely impressed w/ the flavor of this beer. Extraordinary maltiness, unlike nothing I've experienced in an ale. Great toffee and caramel flavors are present. There was even a hint of chocolate. There is a hidden herbal, earthy flavor, kind of like a dark tea. The hops are there in the bitterness, but they are really the supporting cast here. The mouthfeel was lovely. Nice medium body w/ a clean finish.

I've never had this style before. I've read about it in my homebrewing books and craved it. Now I know why. This will be my basis for comparison. And what a great beer to compare others to. Thank you Surly for yet another great beer. (1,365 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

From 03/12/12 notes. Had this on tap at Churchkey in Washington, DC at their Surly event.

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one inch of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident. No lacing or real retention.

s - Smells of roasted malts, bready malts, caramel malts, nuts, toffee, and light chocolate malts. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bready malts, cream, caramel malts, chocolate, vanilla, and burnt malts. Again, pretty nice.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Super smooth and creamy, insanely easy to drink. Perfect mouthfeel.

o - Overall I thought this was a realy good beer. Lots of malts and super easy to drink; would love it if they canned this one. Would love to have it again. (744 characters)

On tap at ChurchKey.

Pours a dark brown/nearly black with a pretty big fluffy tan head. The smell is nice and roasty with some caramel malts also factoring in. The flavor really nails it: it really toes the line between roasty and flavorful and being sessionable and refreshing - just how a dark mild should taste. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin-bodied, but that suits the style just fine. I'm a big fan of dark milds and this really is one of the best out there. (461 characters)

On tap into a Nonic pint at Cafe 28

A: Poured dark red copper color with nice off white head.

S: Smells of toasted malts with hints of light coffee. Also some subtle sweetness.

T: Lots of toasty malts with some caramel sweetness. Some coffee notes within the malts. Some bitterness from some subtle citrus hops. Not overly complex but great flavor for a beer with such a low ABV.

M: Light body and medium carbonation and little on the watery side. Light crisp feel in the mouth, but more than you would expect for a 4% ABV beer.

D: This beer is extremely drinkable. Only had one but could definitely sit and enjoy quite a few.

To bad they don't bottle or can this great beer. I see why they call it a session beer. (720 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

A= pours a mild brown color... haha clever me. Its a deep amber color. The head is an off white and suprisingly big being on tap at the place I got it from. A nice finger on it that leaves some sketchy lacing.

S= smells a lot like summits great northern porter. Coffe a little roasty and chocolaty. The best description I can give is great northern porter smell.

T= tastes like a mild great northern porter. Pretty good actually. A little coffee and chocolate but a real smooth mild flavor. A little watery though.

M= slick and clean sort of. Watery but its a mild. The flavor doesn't stick too much.

D= very high. Delicious brew for a mild. Smooth flavor and clean finish (676 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +3.2%

Garnet to brown colored with a good creamy light brown head. Very good head retention and lacing... better than what I was expecting. Aroma is dominated by dark malts and some coffee notes, with caramel/toffee only in the background.

Taste is... very similar to Bender? Except for the hop profile which takes a back seat here. Light malt backbone with ample dose of specialty malts... a good kick of roast without the tartness that comes along with it. Finishes dry with a long roasty aftertaste.

Good carbonation and good mouthfeel... I haven't had any other mild before but knowing Surly I don't expect it to be "true-to-style". However, the fact remains that it's a very good beer and an excellent low alcohol option. The taste rivals bigger brown ales and this beer is almost a junior stout.

Very easy to have a few... I can't recall the last time I had five pints of the same beer in the same sitting! (909 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

A: Semi transparent brown/reddish copper with a decent amount of off-white head.

S: Lightly toasted malt, a hint of sweet malt and coffee.

T: Toasted malt, a little bit of carmel sweetness and coffee. Very lightly hopped, but you can still tell its there to give a little bit of balance. Very straightforward and enjoyable. Tons of taste for just being over 4% ABV.

M/D: A bit on the thin side, a little watery, but understandably so. Somewhat creamy and smooth. Carbonation seems pretty middle of the road. Great drinkability! A session beer no doubt. Easily drink 3+ in a sitting.

If they canned this stuff, I would always have a supply in my fridge. (657 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Had this on draft at Durty Nellies.

A: pours a dark clear brown, with a thin creamy head, some retention, no lacing

S: nose is roasted malts, reminds me of a dry stout with a large presence of roasted barley, some notes of toffee and caramel as well

T: very clean and refreshing palate with toffee, coffee, and caramel. Lots of flavor while at the same time being quite refreshing.

MF: creamy, smooth,

D: this is the definition of a sessionable beer. Tons of flavor with out the huge abv or caloric intake. I wish there were more of this style around. (557 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

On draft during the Surly event at Churchkey in D.C. Review from notes.

The beer is a dark, mahogany brown color with hints of auburn when held to the light. The nose brings caramel malt and roast. Bready and light. This is terrific beer. A fine example of the style, and what a session beer can be. Light bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth on the palate. I would definitely have this again. (415 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured on tap into a small snifter at Churchkey DC.

Looks like a simple pot of coffee was poured for me, A faint coffee brown head, falls pretty easiliy, leaving a good tan collar. Body is brown ale looking with red hues very see through and light sans the dark color.

Woah what's that smell! Just charring ripping pan roasting gravy and carbon I mean KARBON and malt dry grain. Toasty bread, light, airy. Give it up for the milds man! Scrape that pan it smells so good!

Taste brings that pan gravy and blackened char and husk. As like a mild so incredibly light bodied, but like a good one full of flavor that doesn't take away from the palate. There's some woody splintered action here, and even some faint mellow hop pine on the swallow, and even borderline "crisp".

So light and refreshing, so blackened dark and evil, I want to make gravy. Really dam good and fun, I feel like I could just pound this beer all day! (923 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into pint.

Appearance: Very dark mahogany with thin off-white head.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, smoke and caramel.

Taste: Espresso, chocolate, nuts, smoke and caramel. Fairly dry despite the relative lack of hops.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, light body, very dry finish.

Overall: Extremely drinkable and a decent amount of flavor and complexity. Brewers should make more beers like this. Damn you Omar and Todd, can this now! (459 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Draft. Served at Cafe 28 on 1/31/11 for the celebration of 5 years of business. Poured into a snifter a darker caramel brown color with a nice 2 finger tan head, at first I thought I had been given Bender but the aroma/look soon made me realize I was given the correct beer. Not sure why I thought this was going to have a lighter look to it. The aroma is more pungent than I would have expected with a light roast coffee and chocolate nose. Medium/Light mouthfeel. Very robust flavor with the roast and coffee notes, some mild bitterness as well. Very flavorful and enjoyable. I really wish this was one that they did all year round. (634 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Semi-clear, reddish brown, with a nice, tight, light tan head.

Mostly malty aroma, caramel & chocolate, toasty, solid. smooth, creamy. Nothing jumps out, but it isn't supposed to.

Taste: It's all about the smooth, and it's all about the malt. Hops are here, and higher than other milds, (25 IBUS, if I remember right), and you can just taste them on the tongue, but they're playing it cool, too. Crisp malt flavor, judiciously applied, lies right underneath every gulp & swallow.
Body is medium light, not anywhere near watery, but surprisingly thin for a Surly brew. Well, this, I guess, is their notice to us, saying, "Watch out, don't categorize us, we can be boring, too!"

I can't help but like Mild, it's easy to drink and easy to enjoy, and the malt profile is tasty. There's just enough flavor to make you happy. And yet, it wasn't designed with my palate in mind, for I keep wanted a bit more...I keep missing the Belgian malts of Bender, or the hop attack of Furious. I got that from my customers, too. Many had a sample and went back to Bender...or Furious.

Nice low, languid finish, malts hang tight on the tongue and the deliciousness sticks around.
I take back what I said. This is not a boring beer, just a bit more mellow in flavor than their usual entries. That's one thing I don't think Surly is capable of: brewing a boring beer. I don't think, like any true artist, Todd has it in him to do so.
Mild does serve a nice niche, though, and I hope to see it again in the future, ...but not at the expense of Furious or bender! (1,547 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1%

Pint at stubs.

Pours a small layer that fades down fast. Color is a dark ruby hued copper brown.

Aroma: lots of malts, very roasted. Reminds me of a lager(bock). Some caramel. Not to much but more than I expected.

Taste: lots of malts, caramel sticks out a lot. Some grassy hops. Not a lot going on here. Not a lot here but expected.

Mouthfeel: smooth creamy and refreshing. Medium bodied and medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry.

Overall, this beer is simple but incredible drinkable. This beer is so easy to drink. I am glad I got to try this. My pint won't last long. (588 characters)

Mild from Surly Brewing Company