Microbrew Invitational

Added by feloniousmonk on 01-20-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 190
3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

A see through brownish toffee color, just off white foamy head. Aroma-light, caramelly brown sugar, notes of vanilla, biscuity malt, light earthy hops. Similar taste, lightly toasted malt, caramel, brown sugar, notes of coco, herbal hops have a little tangy zest and provide some balance. Some fruitiness in the aftertaste reminisant of cherries or grapes. Some almost buttery and nutty notes in the finish as well.

Overall: similar to many winter warmers. Light and not all that complex, but great for a malty session beer. It's not just a clever name, if you will.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Stub & Herbs in Minneapolis.

Looks like a butterscotch golden color in my glass with a foamy head welcoming me in.
Very light, sweet aromas.
Caramel tasting with lots of malt overtones, some sweet candy tastes as well.
Very easily drinkable, I had 3 in a row, I would love to have this one around year round.

3.86/5  rDev -3.3%

A-Clear ruby brown with a thin light tan head. Some lacing.

S-A bit of sweet malt but not much else, very pedestrian.

T-Pleasant biscuity malt flavours with a lovely dry finish.

M-Medium light body. Very smooth transitioning to an astringent finsih.

D-Absolutley...wow, a session brew from Surly...wait, did I just see a pig fly past me?!

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at Stub and Herbs, possibly the last Mild tap in the cities.

Basically and big-flavored beer with great drinkability. The aroma is pretty subtle, with toffee and roasted-caramel malts. That same caramel makes up the main flavor, with lighter caramel and toffee around it. As it fades into the aftertaste, the malt continues to develop turns into a creamier candy flavor. If I wasn't on a mission to try other new beers, I'd be ordering a second and third pint. Just like Surly's Bitter Brewer, it makes a lot of flavor out of a litter grain and then develops as you drink it.

Thank you Surly.

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been waiting forever to try this beer. I'm mostly an "at home" drinker, so it has been difficult for me to get out and find a place with this brew. I tried Busters, but they were out. Tonight I made it to the great Stub and Herbs and was able to grab a pint.

This beer is presented to me in a standard pint glass. A light white head crowns this ruddy brown-red beer. Very beautiful. Like a dark amber piece of jewelry. I don't get the cloudiness others have witnessed. Not overly carbonated, which is what I believe is appropriate for this style. The aroma is very unique. Earthy, with a tobacco like smell. I hate tobacco, but for some reason this aroma appealed to me. There are some toffee undertones.

I was extremely impressed w/ the flavor of this beer. Extraordinary maltiness, unlike nothing I've experienced in an ale. Great toffee and caramel flavors are present. There was even a hint of chocolate. There is a hidden herbal, earthy flavor, kind of like a dark tea. The hops are there in the bitterness, but they are really the supporting cast here. The mouthfeel was lovely. Nice medium body w/ a clean finish.

I've never had this style before. I've read about it in my homebrewing books and craved it. Now I know why. This will be my basis for comparison. And what a great beer to compare others to. Thank you Surly for yet another great beer.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Hopleaf-- I was looking for Furious, but I won't turn my nose up at this either.

Pours gold and slightly cloudy with a finger and a half of very fine carbonation. The aroma is floral, herbal hops, much more British than American (which is fitting, I guess, for a bitter.) The flavor opens up with light bready/grainy malts, with a thin mid-palate and a short and strongly herbal hoppy finish with mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is quite light and highly carbonated; fitting for the style, but not my personal preference. Drinkability is excellent, this is a true session beer in the original English sense of the word.

Poured a clear mahogany brown with a nice little off-white head, stays foamy with some decent lacing. After warming a bit, the aroma comes out more, malts are prominent in caramel, bready and biscuity tones, some faint herbal hop hints, still fairly faint, but nice. The taste is a little more broad, but still fairly modest, biscuit and caramel malts, Earl Gray tea, a sense of hops but nothing finite, just flirting impressions. The mouth is very smooth, a very subtle carbonation, a slightly dry finish, a session beer if there ever was one. I downed two of these in rather short time (encouraged by the release of Two), and could imagine doing so often. Also, I would love, LOVE, to see this on cask. That would truly be fantastic. As it stands, i fine brew, out of the blue, for the Surly crew.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Tasted this new beer from Surly at the release party at the Happy Gnome. Amber/Red in color with a little foam and touch of lacing. Very light on the tongue. Nice gentle balance of malt and hops with neither taking presidence. Not too carbonated. Great flavor and, as a session, perfect for enjoying more then two.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap at the Blue Nile (thanks fm)

Clear brown pour with a small white head that seemed to disappear quickly, but not completely.
Soft aromas of nutty malts and a touch of weak floral hops.
Taste is a Mild in the truest sense. Not much hops there (like it should be). Nutty malts dominate a chocolate buiscut background.
Overall, this is a little over carbonated. Not much aroma but a good beer. Very drinkable, but let it rest it gets better with time in the glass.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

On-tap at the Happy Gnome.

Appearance: Clear brown, with a good sized head, good lacing as I drank.

Smell: Bready, biscuits.

Taste: Biscuits and toasted bread with a touch of tea-like bitterness. Reminds me of a very light octoberfest beer.

Mouthfeel: Light, but not watery.

Drinkability: Goes down easy, definitely sessionable. It would be interesting to have a keg of this at a party instead of Miller Lite.

Went over to the Gnome to try Surly's latest. I've never had a mild before (since FFF's Pride and Joy isn't really a mild), so this was a new experience. It was pretty good, and I definitely could have had several if I didn't have other things to do. I've heard milds are even better on cask, that would be interesting to have with this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Semi-clear, reddish brown, with a nice, tight, light tan head.

Mostly malty aroma, caramel & chocolate, toasty, solid. smooth, creamy. Nothing jumps out, but it isn't supposed to.

Taste: It's all about the smooth, and it's all about the malt. Hops are here, and higher than other milds, (25 IBUS, if I remember right), and you can just taste them on the tongue, but they're playing it cool, too. Crisp malt flavor, judiciously applied, lies right underneath every gulp & swallow.
Body is medium light, not anywhere near watery, but surprisingly thin for a Surly brew. Well, this, I guess, is their notice to us, saying, "Watch out, don't categorize us, we can be boring, too!"

I can't help but like Mild, it's easy to drink and easy to enjoy, and the malt profile is tasty. There's just enough flavor to make you happy. And yet, it wasn't designed with my palate in mind, for I keep wanted a bit more...I keep missing the Belgian malts of Bender, or the hop attack of Furious. I got that from my customers, too. Many had a sample and went back to Bender...or Furious.

Nice low, languid finish, malts hang tight on the tongue and the deliciousness sticks around.
I take back what I said. This is not a boring beer, just a bit more mellow in flavor than their usual entries. That's one thing I don't think Surly is capable of: brewing a boring beer. I don't think, like any true artist, Todd has it in him to do so.
Mild does serve a nice niche, though, and I hope to see it again in the future, ...but not at the expense of Furious or bender!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last