Mild - Surly Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 01-20-2008)
jsprain1

iHeartMNBeer

05-16-2013 20:36:01 | More by iHeartMNBeer
brewdoc75

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

I have been waiting forever to try this beer. I'm mostly an "at home" drinker, so it has been difficult for me to get out and find a place with this brew. I tried Busters, but they were out. Tonight I made it to the great Stub and Herbs and was able to grab a pint.

This beer is presented to me in a standard pint glass. A light white head crowns this ruddy brown-red beer. Very beautiful. Like a dark amber piece of jewelry. I don't get the cloudiness others have witnessed. Not overly carbonated, which is what I believe is appropriate for this style. The aroma is very unique. Earthy, with a tobacco like smell. I hate tobacco, but for some reason this aroma appealed to me. There are some toffee undertones.

I was extremely impressed w/ the flavor of this beer. Extraordinary maltiness, unlike nothing I've experienced in an ale. Great toffee and caramel flavors are present. There was even a hint of chocolate. There is a hidden herbal, earthy flavor, kind of like a dark tea. The hops are there in the bitterness, but they are really the supporting cast here. The mouthfeel was lovely. Nice medium body w/ a clean finish.

I've never had this style before. I've read about it in my homebrewing books and craved it. Now I know why. This will be my basis for comparison. And what a great beer to compare others to. Thank you Surly for yet another great beer.

03-29-2008 04:48:11 | More by brewdoc75
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap at ChurchKey.

Pours a dark brown/nearly black with a pretty big fluffy tan head. The smell is nice and roasty with some caramel malts also factoring in. The flavor really nails it: it really toes the line between roasty and flavorful and being sessionable and refreshing - just how a dark mild should taste. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin-bodied, but that suits the style just fine. I'm a big fan of dark milds and this really is one of the best out there.

03-19-2012 15:14:58 | More by starrdogg
mdfb79

4.2/5  rDev +8%

From 03/12/12 notes. Had this on tap at Churchkey in Washington, DC at their Surly event.

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one inch of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident. No lacing or real retention.

s - Smells of roasted malts, bready malts, caramel malts, nuts, toffee, and light chocolate malts. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bready malts, cream, caramel malts, chocolate, vanilla, and burnt malts. Again, pretty nice.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Super smooth and creamy, insanely easy to drink. Perfect mouthfeel.

o - Overall I thought this was a realy good beer. Lots of malts and super easy to drink; would love it if they canned this one. Would love to have it again.

03-13-2012 23:11:18 | More by mdfb79
camp0474

4.2/5  rDev +8%

On tap into a Nonic pint at Cafe 28

A: Poured dark red copper color with nice off white head.

S: Smells of toasted malts with hints of light coffee. Also some subtle sweetness.

T: Lots of toasty malts with some caramel sweetness. Some coffee notes within the malts. Some bitterness from some subtle citrus hops. Not overly complex but great flavor for a beer with such a low ABV.

M: Light body and medium carbonation and little on the watery side. Light crisp feel in the mouth, but more than you would expect for a 4% ABV beer.

D: This beer is extremely drinkable. Only had one but could definitely sit and enjoy quite a few.

To bad they don't bottle or can this great beer. I see why they call it a session beer.

04-04-2010 21:59:52 | More by camp0474
herman77

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Semi transparent brown/reddish copper with a decent amount of off-white head.

S: Lightly toasted malt, a hint of sweet malt and coffee.

T: Toasted malt, a little bit of carmel sweetness and coffee. Very lightly hopped, but you can still tell its there to give a little bit of balance. Very straightforward and enjoyable. Tons of taste for just being over 4% ABV.

M/D: A bit on the thin side, a little watery, but understandably so. Somewhat creamy and smooth. Carbonation seems pretty middle of the road. Great drinkability! A session beer no doubt. Easily drink 3+ in a sitting.

If they canned this stuff, I would always have a supply in my fridge.

04-04-2010 23:14:00 | More by herman77
homebrew311

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this on draft at Durty Nellies.

A: pours a dark clear brown, with a thin creamy head, some retention, no lacing

S: nose is roasted malts, reminds me of a dry stout with a large presence of roasted barley, some notes of toffee and caramel as well

T: very clean and refreshing palate with toffee, coffee, and caramel. Lots of flavor while at the same time being quite refreshing.

MF: creamy, smooth,

D: this is the definition of a sessionable beer. Tons of flavor with out the huge abv or caloric intake. I wish there were more of this style around.

05-07-2010 23:00:19 | More by homebrew311
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

On draft during the Surly event at Churchkey in D.C. Review from notes.

The beer is a dark, mahogany brown color with hints of auburn when held to the light. The nose brings caramel malt and roast. Bready and light. This is terrific beer. A fine example of the style, and what a session beer can be. Light bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth on the palate. I would definitely have this again.

06-06-2012 23:04:05 | More by Huhzubendah
jjanega08

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A= pours a mild brown color... haha clever me. Its a deep amber color. The head is an off white and suprisingly big being on tap at the place I got it from. A nice finger on it that leaves some sketchy lacing.

S= smells a lot like summits great northern porter. Coffe a little roasty and chocolaty. The best description I can give is great northern porter smell.

T= tastes like a mild great northern porter. Pretty good actually. A little coffee and chocolate but a real smooth mild flavor. A little watery though.

M= slick and clean sort of. Watery but its a mild. The flavor doesn't stick too much.

D= very high. Delicious brew for a mild. Smooth flavor and clean finish

02-18-2010 04:34:46 | More by jjanega08
tewaris

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Garnet to brown colored with a good creamy light brown head. Very good head retention and lacing... better than what I was expecting. Aroma is dominated by dark malts and some coffee notes, with caramel/toffee only in the background.

Taste is... very similar to Bender? Except for the hop profile which takes a back seat here. Light malt backbone with ample dose of specialty malts... a good kick of roast without the tartness that comes along with it. Finishes dry with a long roasty aftertaste.

Good carbonation and good mouthfeel... I haven't had any other mild before but knowing Surly I don't expect it to be "true-to-style". However, the fact remains that it's a very good beer and an excellent low alcohol option. The taste rivals bigger brown ales and this beer is almost a junior stout.

Very easy to have a few... I can't recall the last time I had five pints of the same beer in the same sitting!

02-21-2012 06:35:57 | More by tewaris
bsp77

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into pint.

Appearance: Very dark mahogany with thin off-white head.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, smoke and caramel.

Taste: Espresso, chocolate, nuts, smoke and caramel. Fairly dry despite the relative lack of hops.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, light body, very dry finish.

Overall: Extremely drinkable and a decent amount of flavor and complexity. Brewers should make more beers like this. Damn you Omar and Todd, can this now!

03-20-2011 22:22:51 | More by bsp77
smakawhat

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured on tap into a small snifter at Churchkey DC.

Looks like a simple pot of coffee was poured for me, A faint coffee brown head, falls pretty easiliy, leaving a good tan collar. Body is brown ale looking with red hues very see through and light sans the dark color.

Woah what's that smell! Just charring ripping pan roasting gravy and carbon I mean KARBON and malt dry grain. Toasty bread, light, airy. Give it up for the milds man! Scrape that pan it smells so good!

Taste brings that pan gravy and blackened char and husk. As like a mild so incredibly light bodied, but like a good one full of flavor that doesn't take away from the palate. There's some woody splintered action here, and even some faint mellow hop pine on the swallow, and even borderline "crisp".

So light and refreshing, so blackened dark and evil, I want to make gravy. Really dam good and fun, I feel like I could just pound this beer all day!

03-14-2012 00:37:58 | More by smakawhat
kbutler1

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Draft. Served at Cafe 28 on 1/31/11 for the celebration of 5 years of business. Poured into a snifter a darker caramel brown color with a nice 2 finger tan head, at first I thought I had been given Bender but the aroma/look soon made me realize I was given the correct beer. Not sure why I thought this was going to have a lighter look to it. The aroma is more pungent than I would have expected with a light roast coffee and chocolate nose. Medium/Light mouthfeel. Very robust flavor with the roast and coffee notes, some mild bitterness as well. Very flavorful and enjoyable. I really wish this was one that they did all year round.

02-01-2011 15:13:06 | More by kbutler1
feloniousmonk

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Semi-clear, reddish brown, with a nice, tight, light tan head.

Mostly malty aroma, caramel & chocolate, toasty, solid. smooth, creamy. Nothing jumps out, but it isn't supposed to.

Taste: It's all about the smooth, and it's all about the malt. Hops are here, and higher than other milds, (25 IBUS, if I remember right), and you can just taste them on the tongue, but they're playing it cool, too. Crisp malt flavor, judiciously applied, lies right underneath every gulp & swallow.
Body is medium light, not anywhere near watery, but surprisingly thin for a Surly brew. Well, this, I guess, is their notice to us, saying, "Watch out, don't categorize us, we can be boring, too!"

I can't help but like Mild, it's easy to drink and easy to enjoy, and the malt profile is tasty. There's just enough flavor to make you happy. And yet, it wasn't designed with my palate in mind, for I keep wanted a bit more...I keep missing the Belgian malts of Bender, or the hop attack of Furious. I got that from my customers, too. Many had a sample and went back to Bender...or Furious.

Nice low, languid finish, malts hang tight on the tongue and the deliciousness sticks around.
I take back what I said. This is not a boring beer, just a bit more mellow in flavor than their usual entries. That's one thing I don't think Surly is capable of: brewing a boring beer. I don't think, like any true artist, Todd has it in him to do so.
Mild does serve a nice niche, though, and I hope to see it again in the future, ...but not at the expense of Furious or bender!

01-20-2008 06:30:11 | More by feloniousmonk
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Pint at stubs.

Pours a small layer that fades down fast. Color is a dark ruby hued copper brown.

Aroma: lots of malts, very roasted. Reminds me of a lager(bock). Some caramel. Not to much but more than I expected.

Taste: lots of malts, caramel sticks out a lot. Some grassy hops. Not a lot going on here. Not a lot here but expected.

Mouthfeel: smooth creamy and refreshing. Medium bodied and medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry.

Overall, this beer is simple but incredible drinkable. This beer is so easy to drink. I am glad I got to try this. My pint won't last long.

02-28-2010 05:40:33 | More by mothman
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

The pint glass came with little head - although lacing was evident. Smelt of toasted barley and had a nice subtle barley taste to it with a firm malty body and no bitterness. Seeing as it is 4.2% nobody should be offended if I call this a great session beer.

02-20-2010 04:18:01 | More by kjyost
optiontwo

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I've been waiting a while to try this one so I was happy to see it was on-tap at Common Roots Café

Appearance: Clear brown with strong ruby hues. Half inch head, not much retention, but nice lacing.

Smell: A clean nut aroma wafts from the glass accompanied by crisp apple and brown sugar. All these aromas are somewhat muted but this isn't an extreme beer so I wasn't expecting an extreme scent.

Taste: The nut brown flavor hits first but is quickly followed by the apple/pear flavors. What is really interesting about this brew is the strong earthy finish (strong in comparison to the rest of the flavors anyway) It isn't the type of earthy I'm used to though, more dirt like than grassy. Reminds me of a mustiness you might find in some whiskeys. Finally there is a tiny nip of bitterness. For some reason, as "mild" as it is this brew makes my mouth water.

Mouthfeel: Nice light and crisp.

Drinkability: Nearly perfect. I could drink pint after pint of this delicious beer and not have to worry about getting sick.

Overall: This is not my favorite offering from Surly, in fact it may be my least favorite, but it' still great so that's gotta say something. This is as true to style as I've ever seen from Surly but a style that's not done much anymore. Good job Surly.

02-05-2009 18:37:30 | More by optiontwo
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Hmm, good appearance, no real head but a nice color and very clean looking. Smell and taste are very similar. Light on the malt but some decent flavor from it. Nutty and bitter chocolate with just a hint of dried fruit. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, as I mentioned the malt was a bit light. Drinkability is very nice.

03-21-2009 00:32:59 | More by supercolter
MeLikeBeer

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Stub & Herbs in Minneapolis.

Looks like a butterscotch golden color in my glass with a foamy head welcoming me in.
Very light, sweet aromas.
Caramel tasting with lots of malt overtones, some sweet candy tastes as well.
Very easily drinkable, I had 3 in a row, I would love to have this one around year round.

05-21-2008 23:03:13 | More by MeLikeBeer
JackieTH

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at Old Chicago in Plymouth.  Toffee malt nose, pleasant all the way. A hint of roasty elements. Taste is subtly chocolate, fully caramel taste and light roasted malt. Bittering hops keep palate light and clean, very malty, yet light and refreshing. Darn
Good.

03-21-2012 04:46:58 | More by JackieTH
KarlHungus

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at The Bulldog in Minneapolis. This beer arrives a dark brown color. The head is an inch in height, and recedes slowly leaving nice lacing on the sides of the glass. The aroma is of milk chocolate, and burnt malt. The taste is a nice balance of chocolate, burnt malt, and roasted malt with a dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a nice example of the mild style. I would really like to try this on cask as I think its true colors would come through more from that serving type.

02-09-2012 19:38:11 | More by KarlHungus