Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 2,061
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008

Hazy gold in color, this Oatmeal Double IPA has aggressive aromas of candied grapefruit/tangerine and tropical fruit. Malted oats greatly enhance the body and the high level of bitterness is balanced by this sweetness. Citra hops are used for aroma & flavor additions and for dry-hopping, while Warrior hops are used primarily for bitterness.

OG 19.5 Plato
Color 5 SRM
Hops: Citra, Warrior
Yeast: English Ale
Malt: 2-row, Golden Naked Oats
ABV: 9%
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,683 | Reviews: 875

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Canned on 10/30 and consumed RIGHT MEOW! (11/14)

I love beer from cans, I really do. There is just something about cracking open the top that just allows the aroma to gush out of the opening. The only beer I have been completely floored from in terms of aroma was Heady Topper, which coincidentally was from a can. Well consider me floored from yet another DIPA from a can!

Not gonna go on about appearance. Who reads that part anyway? It looks rad. There, said it.

Great Odin's Raven!

Smells like liquid ambrosia. Fo' real. Dank hops, juicy citrus, hint of garlic that all badass DIPAs have. Yeah, this puts hair on my chest. And just in time for the winter too!

Flavor is EXACTLY the same as the aroma...jizztastic. So flavorful and possessing no alcohol burn what so ever. Honestly, with all of the 6% beers that have WAY too much alcohol presence, this is 9% and as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Honestly, this is just as good as Heady. I have had 2 day old Heady, as well as 2 month old Heady and I can tell a big change in its flavor and aroma. At 3 weeks, I have a feeling that at 2 days old it would even be better than that 2 day old Heady.

Where was I going with that monologue? Can't say for sure. What I can say, though, is that this is in the top 3 DIPA I have ever had, beside Heady and Double Sunshine. A true work of art and yet another Surly beer to turn me even more into a fan.

Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to doner24 for the trade. Pours a deep golden color with a thick, quickly dissipating white head. Very nice lacing. The aroma on this beer is outstanding - tropical fruit, citrus, cantaloupe, resinous pine, lemon, with a hint of breadiness. Bitterness throughout with faint caramel notes mid palate that finishes very dry with a touch of honeyed sweetness on the tongue. Mouthfeel is oily, with a medium-light body and decent carbonation. Overall, a very well crafted DIPA that sits among the pantheon of the finest DIPAs.

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

About to review my first ever Abrasive. Just finished a König Pilsener which I decided not to review as I am not a fan of the style. Gotta find some crackers or something…

p.s. it's 11:02 AM.

Canned on 10/30/2013 - Enjoyed on 11/14/2013

Oh my God.

Upon cracking open the aluminum containment vessel, there's an aroma that speaks with the voice of some Holy deity, 'this, my son, is going to be good' - imagine the scent of a fresh bottle of orange juice with with twice the sex appeal.

The color is a gorgeous yellow orange, carbonation is pleasant but not too much. A previous reviewer nailed it when he mentioned how the juicy citrus grabs your tongue off the get-go, then gives way to a Hopgasm. That was paraphrasing. Mouthfeel is dangerous. It's like extra viscous water, but juicier. So juicy. The alcohol really only presents itself once you swallow. This ale leaves my tongue a little dry but my cheeks are oozing right now.

Overall this is probably the most high class IPA 'experience' I've ever had. I have to note, however, that on most day's I'd rather have a beer than an 'experience'. For the money I'd reach for a Summit Sága or a Lucid Foto, but if you're looking for a rare treat, you've come to the right place with this beer. I paid way too much for this one but had a gift card and really wanted to put my lips to something with a ba score of 100 - and this was my first time getting to do that. I don't think I'd spend that money on this beer again - like I said though, this was for the experience. I may drink one more then trade the other 2 in the 4pack for some heady if that's possible.

*EDIT*: After consuming, this can left me seriously craving another, which I allowed myself, and drank straight from the can. This seems important - upon imbibing of second pint, I was left feeling that there was too much fruitiness going on with this beer. I don't take back any praise, this is an awesome IPA, but part of me thinks I'm becoming more of a stout guy.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Abrasive Ale from Surly Brewing Company