Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 2,032
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008

Was "16 Grit Ale," but now available in cans and renamed "Abrasive Ale".

Sure we're abrasive. We were abrasive long before we were Surly. If you visit the brewery you can still see remnants of industrial manufacturing factory Omar's parents ran for 35 years within those same 4 walls. Bandsaw blades, grinding wheels, and a sanding discs came long before ales and lagers. But let's be honest, this is a lot more fun. Pale in color, this over-hopped, under-brewed Double IPA has almost twice the amount of hops & malt crammed in the can.

4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce can bottled 1-17-13. Pretty Fresh! Thanks TimmyJ21

Poured into Snifter glass. Minimal white head that quickly dissipated. Strong punch in the nose of pine, fruity /orange smell. Slight hint of "alcohol". Smells great.

Slightly hazy in appearance, with little to no lacing. Medium body/mouthfeel. Nice smooth bitter bite up front that transitions nicely to sweet, citrus finish. Slight caramel taste balanced nicely with hops works nicely with alcohol warmth.

Very nice example of a Double IPA. Definitely in my top 5 as of now.

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to BufordTjustice for this one!!

Canned 12/28/12 poured into GI tulip

Pour: A cloudy golden yellow-orange with a great 2 & 1/2 finger bright white head with tight small bubbles. Head retention is fleeting leaving a considerable amount of lacing. Carbonation is not very evident in the appearance.

Smell: Big punch of juicy citrus with grapefruit, pineapple, orange peel, lemon. There is also some resinous pine mixed in but I am getting a lot more of the citrus notes. I also get a caramel type sweetness that does seem to tame the hops in the nose some. This is one great smelling beer.

Taste: Now I find this interesting because I think the taste is a reverse of the nose. I get much more of the pine hops and the citrus taking a back seat. Quite bitter at the front of the tongue and then the citrus peeks through to even things out mid palate some. There is a slight sweetness also cutting the hop bitterness. This one finishes very dry and the alcohol is non existent. This is a hop lovers dream beer.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation makes itself known here with a rather high level but works ok in this beer as it does feel creamy but dry in the finish. This makes me pucker and primes me for the next sip almost immediately. I would call this medium bodied with a hidden alcohol taste.

Overall: This is my first experience with Surly and color me impressed! Damn fine example of a DIPA and one that I would love to have regular access to.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Presentation: 16 oz. tallboy can chilled and poured into a pint glass. Canned on date of 12/20/2012.

Appearance: Medium to dark orange in color. Two finger creamy white head that holds really well and leaves a really spectacular lacing around the glass.

Aroma: Mango and grapefruit hop notes upfront. Some bitter pine notes in the background complement the sweetness from the hops and the background malt. Some light caramel from the malt background, which is definitely noticable but works well.

Taste: Pineapple, mango and a really nice tropical fruit tones upfront. Pretty nice, bitter grapefruit and pine. The hop notes are really juicy with plenty of bitterness. Really refreshing and easy to drink. The malt backdrop is really well done as well. Creates a great candied hop note as well. A really tasty IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but manages to drink easy and stay refreshing. Some sharp carbonation.

Overall, a really awesome double IPA that is really juicy, hoppy and bitter. Drinks really easy for the ABV and doesn't feel bogged down or heavy at all. Feels mugh lighter than 9% ABV. I don't know if this is quite the level of the best IPA's I've ever had, but it is certainly impressive and more than worth the price. I'm glad I have a couple more cans to crack open soon.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow! I gotta say that I am blown away by this can of beer! I am now a believer in the power of the can...or the Surly brew master...probably both

Poured from the can into a snifter as implied by the can

A - Exactly what I see in my mind when I think DIPA. Golden, slightly hazy color. A three finger head roils up, even with a careful pour, and its not going away quickly. Eventually it becomes a solid white filmy cap that leaves awesome stickage

S - Hop oil! Jesus Christ! I have never had a DIPA where the aroma is so close to the taste; you can taste it through aroma alone. Resinous piney grapefruit, rose water note, grassy, earthy: there is a lot going on. Perfumey

T - The hops are so present that it is almost as if it was dry-hopped hours ago. The alcohol is very well hidden and only comes through in the finish: quite rare for 9.0%. Floral notes abound as well as herbs, but the flavor is anchored by the earthy bitterness that may take hours to dissipate. This beer has a long semi-sweet finish, that just reminds me to grab another one from the fridge.

M - Very glossy on the tongue and palate. I feel like all of my taste buds have been bathed in fresh hop goodness. Surprisingly bright and light, which means scarily drinkable.

O - I got this via Haskells online and it is only 6 days old at this point. This could have something to do with how blown away I am, but I think this beer is a must try. I now have a reason to move to MN, but its the only one I can think of right now.

Abrasive Ale from Surly Brewing Company