Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Abrasive AleAbrasive Ale

Wants: 1,897
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Was "16 Grit Ale," but now available in cans and renamed "Abrasive Ale".

Sure we're abrasive. We were abrasive long before we were Surly. If you visit the brewery you can still see remnants of industrial manufacturing factory Omar's parents ran for 35 years within those same 4 walls. Bandsaw blades, grinding wheels, and a sanding discs came long before ales and lagers. But let's be honest, this is a lot more fun. Pale in color, this over-hopped, under-brewed Double IPA has almost twice the amount of hops & malt crammed in the can.

(Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008)
2.5/5  rDev -44.8%

theCoder, Feb 07, 2012
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Canned 1/12/12

A - Pours a clear deep copper with one and a half fingers of off-white head. Head has nice retention and leaves nice rings of lacing.

S - Big citrus hop aroma with some pine as well. Also some touches of tropical fruit, caramel malt and faint florals.

T - Citrus is also very big in the taste, with some grapefruit and both bitter and juicy orange. This is very well balanced. Yes, there is a strong hop presence and considerable bitterness, but there is also a bit of sweetness and some caramel malt that balance this really well. Finish is a long lasting bitterness.

M - Very smooth, medium mouthfeel that is a bit resinous. Finish is bitter with an earthy dryness.

O - The 9% is nowhere to be found in the taste. This is a very easy drinking DIPA, not at all in your face, that has a nicely balanced flavor profile.

warnerry, Feb 07, 2012

TubbyDullard, Feb 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

YaKnowBrady, Feb 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

FeelinSurley, Feb 05, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Found a single just before leaving Duluth, and unfortunately it was the last one, as I would've loved a couple more fore trades.

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden copper colour, finger of off-white head with some retention and sporadic lacing.

S - Sweet citrus, resiny, loads of pine and earthy cedar, a peppery spice finish.

T - Loaded with citrus and pine, nice bitter lemon, creamy milky caramel, peppery spice lingers alongside a hint of ABV heat. The ABV is very well hidden and the heat is surprisingly complementary.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and finishes nice and dry.

O - Solid DIPA. These guys have yet to disappoint. I'm looking forward to my next trip to procure a few more of these, because it is simply delicious and would be well received by any hop head.

andrenaline, Feb 05, 2012

mkvi, Feb 05, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

A- Pours a clear orange liquid with a thin and creamy white head.

S- Lots of pungent fruit such as mango, pineapple, oranges, and some caramel malt backing. Very aromatic and appealing.

T- Same as the aroma. The pungent fruitiness is amazing. There is the slightest bit of an herbal aspect to it. Bitter and sweet with some lasting aspects of both.

M- Light carbonation emphasizes the bitterness. The finish is a bit sticky and bitter.

O- I wasn't expecting a hell of a lot out of this but I was pleasantly surprised. Drinks pretty nice for the style alcohol content.

david131, Feb 05, 2012

Kenai4, Feb 05, 2012

newk340, Feb 04, 2012
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Big thanks goes to jawzman for the opportunity!

A - pours a copperish reddish orange with a one finger head that slows to a half finger head

S - the nose is dominated by earthy, pungent hops with some onion and sweet flavors; also some caramel is present

T - sweet cararmel malt up front fade to a boat load of hops. Dank, earthy, onions, floral hops dominate everything from the front to the back and don't stop bombarding the tongue. Ends, of course, with some bitter earthy and oniony hops.

M - full and smooth mouthfeel make give this a very soft body

D - this is a hop bomb all the way. I have been wanting to try this one for a while. Fortunately I got a fresh can from jawzman. One of the better DIPAs out there - seek it out if you can.

birchstick, Feb 04, 2012

jskennedy, Feb 04, 2012

Mdodge8837, Feb 04, 2012

Listers, Feb 04, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

A 16 ounce can from inlimbo77; thanks Bill! Canned on 12/29/2011 and reviewed live. Poured into a Deschutes tulip.

A vibrant copper body with some light brown hues. An off-white, slightly orange head rests atop and leaves a good amount of sticky lacing after the initial inch subsides.

The aroma is of wet, citrusy hops with a noticeable spice note. Grapefruit and orange comprise the citrus, but the nose really is all about the hops and their pine/nature aromatics.

The taste is also a great showcase of the beloved little cones, with their bittering and spicy characteristics right up front. The citrus pulls through in the middle, where again it’s mostly orange and grapefruit. Another appearance of the spice and pine resin on the finish. Some fresh grass on the aftertaste, which isn’t as off-putting as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is crisp, and almost sweet from the citrus; carbonation is spot on, but it finishes extremely dry. I find myself reaching for water just as often as another sip of the beer.

Overall, a delicious DIPA that is certainly worthy of attention. Seek this one out!

eclipse54, Feb 03, 2012

modernartblues, Feb 02, 2012

ObeMaltKinobee, Feb 02, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

This one survived the trip from 'sotta undrank by my friend and co-worker. Hats off to him for keeping his mitts off.

Well, this one pours out hops. No liquid, just the flowers. Kidding. But not really. Upon cracking this bad boy open the hops aroma just kills. Tropical and juicy. Can't wait. It begs to be in my belly.

Pours a glowing orange, bright. Nice head. Screw this, I'm drinking it.

Aroma. See above. Persimmon, passion fruit in back, mango heavy. Pineapple core. Soft sweet caramel is doing its best to not gain too much attention, because if it does the hops will beat the shit out of it.

Yeup. Hops. Citrus and tropical. Green grass and green pine. A touch "abrasive" (zing), but great flavors. The malt is happy where it is, and so am I. Got take away 1/2 point for not being balanced, but it's darn fine.

Mebuzzard, Feb 02, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Can dated 1/12/12 poured into Delirium Tulip, live tasting...

Appearance; poured a crisp, lively orange color, with one finger of straw colored head that quickly dissipated leaving a thin film... Lacing is solid, leaving spidery veins all over the glass.

Smell; I was NOT prepared for this... I popped the top and it smelled like I stepped off the airplane into Hawaii, fresh tropical aroma, pineapple, tangerine, orange and grapefruit rinds... The smell started to take over my kitchen (and I am absolutely not complaining about that!!)

Taste; taste is much the same as the smell, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine and orange rinds... A moderate bitter finish, with a slight lingering bite that seems to have pepper in it, but I find that it nicely compliments the lingering bitterness... Also, I may be crazy...

Mouthfeel; light medium body that feels lively on the tongue, feels velvet like on the tongue towards the finish, which comes in to compliment the bitterness beautifully.

Overall; a rock solid DIPA, I would absolutely seek this out again... I was slightly let down by Furious and I'm starting to think that my choice to drink Hopslam and then Furious was a poor one given how I feel about Abrasive... I was a little concerned about the onion bomb some have described this beer to be, but I went into it with an open mind and I feel like I was greatly rewarded. I definitely recommend Abrasive, and will absolutely seek out both Abrasive and Furious again in the future!!

Thingus, Feb 02, 2012

AutumnBeerLove, Feb 02, 2012

pavpav12, Feb 01, 2012

StarRaptor, Feb 01, 2012

CoryR, Feb 01, 2012

psychotia, Feb 01, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Humulus85 for hooking me up.

Good beer, but with so many other DIPA's out there this one just didn't seem to live up to its hype.

A: Single fingered head that displayed ok retention, settling to a thin film atop this deep orange, mostly transparent beer.

S: Tropical fruit notes, most detectable was passion fruit, bready malts, floral bitter hoppiness followed by oily pine. Smell reminded me of Alpine's Nelson.

T: More bitter than the scent lead me to think. Tropical fruit flavors and those bready malts follow the bitterness nicely. Sugary malts poke through and bring up the backend of the tasting.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated, lingering bitter aftertaste.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, but I feel there are so many better examples of the style out there. If I lived in Minnesota and had easy access to this beer I know I would drink it again in the future, but since I don't I really can't see myself seeking this one out again.

tjkinate, Jan 31, 2012