Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Abrasive AleAbrasive Ale

Wants: 1,844
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Was "16 Grit Ale," but now available in cans and renamed "Abrasive Ale".

Sure we're abrasive. We were abrasive long before we were Surly. If you visit the brewery you can still see remnants of industrial manufacturing factory Omar's parents ran for 35 years within those same 4 walls. Bandsaw blades, grinding wheels, and a sanding discs came long before ales and lagers. But let's be honest, this is a lot more fun. Pale in color, this over-hopped, under-brewed Double IPA has almost twice the amount of hops & malt crammed in the can.

(Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
WestValleyIPA

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to Spdkilz for this one. Another I've been dying to try. Poured from a pint can into my N'ice Chouffe goblet. Nice golden, amber, mosquito catching color. About a finger of white head with pretty great lacing. Smells of citrus up front, a hint of onion BO funk (in a good way), some sweet malt. Nice bright, sweet citrus on the palate. Sticky funky mango. Very bitter dry finish. This tastes amazing. Mouth is very dried out. Sticky. Little creamy bubbles attacking my tongue. Epic.

04-09-2011 05:58:22 | More by WestValleyIPA
Azurescens

Washington

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can with canned on date 2/28/11 poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/8/11

A: Pours a beautiful slightly hazy golden orange with an off-white head. Some lacing left around glass as this delicious beer is consumed.

S: BIG mango and grapefruit hop aroma with a touch of tangerine, strong enough to smell when the glass is a foot away, incredible!

T: Huge fruity taste, the sweet hop resins bombard my tastebuds with tropical fruit and a touch of caramel. Balance is a bit on the sweet side for an IIPA but the incredible hop flavors mingle with the sweet malts so well there is very little to complain about.

M: Super sweet and juicy mouthfeel, like I am chewing on a piece of tropical fruit hop flavored gum. None of the sharpness that is typical with many beers of this style.

O: Easily one of the best IIPAs out there, delicious and refreshing from start to finish, wonderfully crafted beer from surly, cheers to you!

04-09-2011 02:26:54 | More by Azurescens
richalexander78

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Wow! Pleasantly surprised. Pours a dark Orange with nice head. Aroma was absolutely fantastic. Lots of citrus upfront and hops on the finish. Fantastic balance and flavor profile. Another beer I wish was available in Florida. Love the can and all that u get inside!

04-09-2011 01:59:08 | More by richalexander78
Paulydeets

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a hazy sunset orange with a 1.5 finger head that hangs around a little bit.

Smell is amazing. I poured it in my BP Anni. Tulip and put it on the table and I could smell it from 3 feet away. Amazing tropical/grapefruit aromas along with some piney, resinous undertones. Delicious.

Taste follows the smell, thank god, I definately didnt want to be let down after the aromas I was getting. Tropical fruits up front along with a little sweetness, the some piney hops, followed by a little caramel malt and finishes with some bitterness. Perfect.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, not too thick. Perfect carbonation and a little dry on the finish.

Wow, This is right up there with PTE, maybe better. Definately one of the best Imperial IPA's Ive ever had, not to bitter and the 10% is very well hidden, I could drink this all day long and then some. If you love IPA's, you have to have this.

04-08-2011 23:49:37 | More by Paulydeets
SpdKilz

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to ncmussell for this beer I have been wanting to try for quite some time. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a darker orange, tangerine hue into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of white head is achieved with a moderate pout. This dissipates somewhat fast, leaving just a hint of lacing around the edges of the glass.

Smell - Damn, when I opened the can I was immediately greeted with some amazing aromas. Once I poured it into the glass and allowed it to warm for a bit, the smells became that much more intoxicating. Lots of citrus such as mango and pineapple. A great hop aroma mixed with pine, and a nice malty, caramel smelling backbone.

Taste - Hot damn I've been waiting for this for a while. While the taste is sweet up front, I feel it is more from the citrus than malt (though the malty backbone does become prevalent later on in the taste). The hops come in during the middle, mixed with the pine, and the flavor ends with a caramel taste, and then a hint of bitterness. So many flavors and characteristics during the sip. Amazing.

Mouthfeel - Nice and thick, creamy, oily resin. Decent carbonation, finishes a hint dry and bitter.

Overall - Who has 3 more 16oz cans of this in his refrigerator? THIS GUY. Very happy I was finally able to try this and will for sure trade for it in the future. A fantastic DIPA and extremely easy to quaff. No alcohol taste or warming. It goes down like nothing. Abrasive has lived up to the hype in my opinion.

04-07-2011 02:37:28 | More by SpdKilz
kbutler1

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can. I remember having 16 Grit from a growler before but unfortunately I didn't rate it so this will have to do. Canned on 3/09/11 and sampled on 4/6/11. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a darker, slightly haze, honey apricot color with a nice, full, sticky light tan head that coats the glass with lace as it settles. Pungent, musky aroma of hops in the nose of the citrus variety; with mainly orange and grapefruit undertones. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. At first sip I was wondering where the hop bitterness was but then BAM! it hits you towards the middle/end like a freight train. Well balanced though with a sweet malty feel in the beginning. Bitterness lingers on but not in an unpleasant way. Does it really get better than this?

04-06-2011 22:00:59 | More by kbutler1
cmannes

1 pint can poured into a New Belgium Goblet

Appearance: Hazy orangish color. Fairly thin white head. Maybe just a little lacing.

Aroma: Piney with lots of citrus. Almost smells like a cocktail. (In a good sense.) To me, it's the perfect DIPA smell.

Taste: Sweet, citrusy, with a long finish. The finish is bitter, yet sweet. It's really good, but hard to explain. (Or I just suck at explaining it.)

Mouthfeel: While the odd bitter finish lasts, the feel of the beer is quickly gone. It's not syrupy, just smooth with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall: One of my favorite beers. Citrusy Sweet with some great hoppy/bitter notes. Easy to drink, hard to find.

04-06-2011 21:50:33 | More by cmannes
betsona

Idaho

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to seeswo for this pint can, poured into an imperial pint glass. Canned on date of 1/24/11.

A- Hazy golden orange. Moderate pour produced a finger worth of white frothy head. Head dissipated into a fine lacing cover. Moderate amount of glass lacing.

S- I could smell the piney goodness as soon as I opened the can. Mango, pineapple and hints of grapefruit are also dominating the nose. It is a citrus bomb. If there is malt, it has entered witness protection with citrus as its body guards.

T- The citrus is still present in the taste but is toned down. Mainly ruby red grapefruit with lemon and mango. The malt acts like a spoonful of sugar to add the right amount of sweetness. Long and persistent bitter linger.

M- Medium body with correct amount of carbonation. Not exactly crisp, but almost. It is really sticky.

O- Another winner from Surly. The smell won be over at first sniff. The taste is there, just not as great as the smell, which would be near impossible. Not sure I would want more than one drink at a time. The abv is just high enough that two would make be good and tipsy and I wouldn't appreciate the second as much as I should.

04-05-2011 20:44:42 | More by betsona
Ipatsfans

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

First time trying Abrasive, thanks Tewaris.

Canned on 2/7/11. Poured into a Tyler's/Speakeasy pint glass.

Pours a burnt orange color, light and slightly cloudy. No head, just a white top layer that dissipates within a few seconds.

Aroma is a ton of citrus, grapefruit and sweet acidic fumes. Smells fantastic.

Taste is very nice, hops up front, dry, floral and citrus notes as expected. Maltier finish than I was expecting, and not all that bitter. The finish is not what I was expecting, it's very unique and somewhat sweet. There is an umami type flavor in here that I can't place. Lots of malt.

Mouthfeel is nice, I would like a bit more carbonation, the finish is abrupt which is surprising for a beer with so much hops.

The aroma of this beer was the best part. The taste was good, but the smell was the tops for any DIPA I've tasted. I would love to try it on tap some time.

04-05-2011 01:29:09 | More by Ipatsfans
lovindahops

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

another Surly brew review thanks to one of the best trades ever from FreshmanPour77. I cannot wait to try this DIPA.

A- pours a hazy orange body that literally glows in my ithaca tulip. A nice head of foam with a yellow tint sticks around with some decent traces of lacing on the sides.

S- I have smelled this before! Massive hops with pineapple, mango, and citrus flavors up front. Piney resin at the back. The alcohol does not pop up at all. As another reviewer wrote... this does smell like Flower Power! Spicey and herbal as well. Very uplifting!

T- pure citrus with a blends of caramel malt show up. Very, very, very bitter with the flavors clinging all over the palate. It's a hop fest that makes sure some malty flavors are around. The connection to pineapples is impeccable in the brew and the bitterness is a great ending

M- syrupy carbonated flavor all over the mouth. I love it!

D- I cannot say enough about Surly's brews. Abrasive ale is spot on with the other brews. This is incredibly tasty with the alcohol almost distant. This is one highly recommended DIPA. IF SURLY EVER CAME TO SYRACUSE, I WOULD LOSE MY MIND!!!!

04-03-2011 18:00:04 | More by lovindahops
InebriatedJoker

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Got this from HipHop1 via trade - Thanks Hollie !

Poured from 16 oz can into Duvel Tulip -Canned on 2/28/11

A: Poured cloudy golden orange with one and half finger head than dissipated rather quickly into a thin creamy lacing, decent carbonation.

S: Pine , Citrus , Hops , slight malt

Taste : Hops upfront, grapefruit ,pine and decent malt backing.

O: Overall this was a treat of an Ipa, The fruity flavors were well balanced with pine and hop notes as well as a decent malt backing that evened this abrasive beast out. I will be seeking out more in the future.

04-02-2011 19:35:40 | More by InebriatedJoker
surlytheduff

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

1/24/11 canning date, drank from a tuilip. The beer poured a clear golden amber with about a finger of white fluffy head. The aroma was fruity - pineapple, grapefruit, with some sticky pineyness. The taste was pungently hoppy. It was very sweet and malty up front, then settling in to a bitterly hopped up finnish. The mouthfeel was smooth and pleasantly syrupy, well carbonated with a dry finish. Overall this was a well balanced and tasty DIPA.

04-02-2011 05:43:24 | More by surlytheduff
dgfair

4.43/5  rDev -2%

16 oz can poured into tulip shaped imperial pint glass.

The beer pours a dark golden yellow, very similar to the color of Mott's apple juice. The head is very large and white, but dissipates very quickly leaving a sparkling, glittery lace all over the glass.

The smell is strong pine and grapefruit...almost an even balance between the two. Most IPAs seem to lean one way, but this one has a definite balance on the hop nose. I also pick up a very nice dank wet hop smell here. There is a little bit of a sweet pastry note in the background that adds a little doughy sweetness that keeps it from being too bitter.

The taste is bitter sweet on the front with strong notes of pineapple and citrus fruit. This is followed by a fantastic peach/nectarine flavor that is outstanding...really adds a nice delicate balance to an otherwise powerful flavor. This is definitely one of the fruitiest IPAs I've tasted. There is a little bit of a dry grassiness at the finish, but the main flavor here is sweet fruity hops and there is no shortage.

The mouth is carbonated well but finishes a little oily. This is one of the few dings on a remarkable interpretation of the DIPA style. The drinkability is decent and comparable to many of the other big boy DIPAs.

Overall, a nice offering from Surly. I prefer some of their other beers (I'm looking at you, Bender), but this is definitely something I could drink a few of if it were readily available. When fresh, one of the better IPAs out there...really love this one compared to the other Midwest big-names (Hopslam, Double Trouble, etc).

04-02-2011 02:24:29 | More by dgfair
regspeir

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Pint can (thank you mnbearsfan!) into a Duvel Snifter.
Pours cloudy orange/amber with a smallish, white head which dissipated into a coating or less. There is some light lacing all the way through. Nose is grapefruit, pineapple, lemon zest and mango, with pine and floral notes. As others have said, the nose of this beer never quits. The taste is grapefruit, some sweet caramel malt, brown sugar and honey . The finish is dry and mildly bitter, but refreshingly so. Warning, wow, there is no sense of the ABV on the way down. Mouthfeel is medium to light with a wonderful crispness, medium carbonation, and only slightly sticky. For those who still think great things can't come in a can, I offer this as definitive evidence. All-in-all, this is a great DIPA and one i would love to have regular access to.

04-01-2011 18:53:02 | More by regspeir
OddNotion

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Received in a trade thanks syrupjoe! Really excited to try this one out! Can dateed 1/14/2011.

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass with a half finger white head on top of a dark orange opaque body.

Smell: Very hoppy as expected. So much citrus it is rediculous. This reminds me of another beer but I cant place my finger on it right now. Maybe reminiscent of Ithaca Flower Power (which is a great thing).

Taste: Wow this beer is amazing. I would not change a thing about the taste. Super citrusy and fruity. Not too high on the bitterness for the stated IBUs but the bitterness is there. This beer is very sweet and almost like a hop juice which is perfect for a hophead such as myself.

Mouthfeel: Nice bubbly feeling with the carbonation which really helps enhance the taste. Nice medium thickness.

Overall: Give me more! I wish Surly was availble by me. If I am ever in Minnesota at the right time I will stock up on this! I thought Furious was great but Abrasive blows it out of the water.

03-31-2011 20:30:30 | More by OddNotion
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Can poured into my New Belgium globe. Thank you spycow for this much wanted brew.

Wow as a I pour this all I can say is it smells phenomenal. I can't wait to drink this one. Orange-hazy body with a big white head that sticks to the side of the glass. Smells incredible. Citrusy hop notes mingle with some tropical hints and a mango like sweetness. Really this is how a DIPA should smell. The taste brings a more balanced attack than the nose, nice citrusy notes up front balanced with a pale malt base. Fairly bitter in the finish but not too much so. Really nice hop flavor without being overly bitter. mouthfeel is medium body with a little less carbonation than I'd like.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. I love the aroma on this one and the flavor makes it a top notch DIPA. I hope I can try this on draft someday since I've come to realize that is how most DIPA's truly shine. That being said I would never be upset to get more of this. A fantastic beer that I think I will seek out when it is re released next year.

03-30-2011 22:26:22 | More by jpmclaug
madvermin

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to KeefD for sending me a 4-pack of this along with other locals in our recent trade - I've been wanting to have this for a long time.

Pours a lighter orange/yellow with a touch of brown. Has slight clarity but is more translucent and appears a bit cloudy. Head is as usual for Surly - large, caky, fluffy and very fine. Off-white beast leaves spotty lacing and retains for a long time as a half-finger cap.

The smell is intoxicating as soon as you hear the hiss of the can - it's that strong. To my nose, this is the most citrus-centric beer I've smelled in a while. Tons of grapefruit and clean orange, with just a hint of pineapple, this beer is more fragrant than many air fresheners on the market. A bit of pine and malt at the back offer something else to keep it interesting. Awesome.

Citrus is not as strong in the taste, but the malts come in a lot more to help out. Grapefruit at the start is juicy and pungent, and is quickly complemented by toffee/caramel malt that gives it a bit of sweetness. Pine and a harsh bitterness finish the beer, giving it a nice dry ending. The hops are a bit dank as well which I like. It's a hop bomb to be sure; not what the smell would predict, but an awesome hop bomb nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is good for the style - crisp, slightly sticky, very dry finish, and a bit of harshness from the bitterness. This beer happens to do the dry part very well but the sticky part not as well - but the dryness wins out for sure. Drinkability is helped a lot by that dryness as it's the last thing the palate feels here. Intense aromas remain throughout the beer and flavors are fine as the beer warms. I had a tough time making the glass last, as the awesome dryness at the end of sips was too much to make me resist another swig. Wasn't let down by this beer, and look forward to trading for it on an annual basis.

03-30-2011 07:06:05 | More by madvermin
Wadsey

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: The beer's color is situated between deep gold and pale amber. An antique white head rises with the pour, but fails to stick around or produce any significant lacing. Slight haze on second pour.

S: As soon as the can is popped open, the smell of a fresh tropical fruit salad drifts into the air. Impressive. Most prominent is ruby red grapefruit, with orange, papaya and maybe mango following further behind. Dank, pungent and fresh.

T: Malts are present almost solely in a slight sweetness, seeming to strain under the enormous hop bill. The taste brings to mind having a red ruby grapefruit with a bit of sugar for breakfast. Some orange and orange zest, too. Not complicated, but bright and convincing. Hoppy finish that lingers pleasantly.

M: Prickly carbonation somehow works with oily feel and compliments bitterness. Not obviously warming.

D: I have to keep reminding myself that I'm drinking a potent beer; otherwise, I would easily crush another can or two and get into trouble.

Thanks to joshuaseresse for opportunity.

03-30-2011 02:18:49 | More by Wadsey
Kelly88

Kentucky

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a can into my bells tulip.

A- dirty reddish orange. White one inch head crowns this beauty. Descending rings of lace surround my glass. Great looking beer.

S- mango sweet tangy cantaloupes. Some pine and small amounts of hop dank creep into the fruit frenzy.

T- grapefruit mixed with orange juice and hoppy mango. Huge flavors that are real tasty. Bitter and sweet battle for a stronghold and Im first row for the fight.

M- bitter puckering feel That is so nice. Medium feel That is really easy to drink. Very bitter but so good.

Overall a great iipa. The tastes jump out of the glass and smack you in the mouth. Fruity and Bitter just like I like em. I want to say balanced but even the sweet is bitter. A specific flavor profile done right.

03-29-2011 02:11:44 | More by Kelly88
ShanePB

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

BIG thanks goes out to KJ (aka mulletjunky) for hooking me up with some cans of Abrasive. I've been waiting to try this DIPA, so here we go...

A: Pours a somewhat clear (minus the chill haze) dark honey with a creamy white head. Some moderate lacing is left behind, as well as a foam cap sip through swallow. A rather impressive and beautiful DIPA.

S: Notes of sweet, tart and juicy pineapple up front followed by mango. Further in are aromas of fresh cut grass, black pepper and a mild hint of red onion.

T: Not as bitter as I would expect up-front, instead a mild blend of orange and papaya are first. Then comes some grassy wet hops, finished by a residual red onion flavor, however, it is nothing like the onion taste in say, GUBNA. Very well done.

M: Medium-bodied with ample carbonation, nothing is overdone or understated. A wonderful mouth feel though unfortunately not nearly as creamy like a PtE feel, which to me was perfect.

This beer is definitely worth seeking out and makes me wish Surly distributed in PA. An absolutely fantastic DIPA in its own regard.

03-29-2011 00:57:52 | More by ShanePB
cbutova

Shared by Chico1985, notes from Friday.

A- Slightly hazy golden hue with a decent white cap that has OK retention. A small ring and cloud leaves a few rings of lace.

S- Pungent pine, peach and citrus with some strange onion thing. Light malt and bread.

T- A ton of hops lending citrus, floral, pine, juicy peach and the onion thing again. Slight bread and sweetness. Dank.

MF- Creamy substantial body with a good amount of carbonation and a pretty big bitterness.

DB- Drinks well for how big it is and the amount of hops. The onion thing is a bit odd but I still enjoy this beer.

03-27-2011 17:31:10 | More by cbutova
Wasatch

Utah

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks goes out to luxbwin for this brew.

Canned On: 02/07/11

Poured into a Surly glass a very nice cloudy golden orange color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger plus off-white head, lots of thick/creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some nice sweet malt notes, lots of citrus, and a nice touch of pine. The taste is awesome, very hoppy, with a nice blend of malts for sweetness, citrusy. Medium Body, with a nice dry/bitter finish. Very Drinkable, this has got to be one of the best DIPAs have had to date. Thanks Luc!

03-26-2011 19:38:52 | More by Wasatch
ActualAir

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

From a can into a chalice, it pours a clear dark amber with a cream color head. Nice lacing is left behind. The aroma is a bold honey or tangerine blossom tinged with the sweetness of peach. Hefty, yet well balanced, in taste with floral and citrus hops leading the way, caramel and a good bite at the end. Mouthfeel is heavy and satisfying as the flavor lingers. Overall, Abrasive is a hell of a Double IPA with exceptional balance and drinkability.

03-24-2011 02:24:56 | More by ActualAir
Duff27

Canned on 2/7/11

A- Booming white one inch head in my tulip. Beer is dark golden to light orange with a dozen nucleation sites causing effervescence. Great head retention and lacing.

S- Could smell citrus/hops immediately from a foot away when I popped the top!

T- Pungent dankity dank-dankness. Both citrus and pine make and appearance.

M- Slightly syrupy but with a biting carbonation on the tongue.

D/O- What a delicious brew! Alcohol is well hidden making this pint-sized can no match. For as much hype as Hopslam gets, I'd have to give Abrasive the nod over it. #1 DIPA in the land? This would get plenty of votes and rightfully so. "When in Minnesota and you got a drinking quota."

03-22-2011 03:14:02 | More by Duff27
amcmaho1

New Mexico

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

The canned on date has become illegible, but it was likely canned sometime in January.

Poured into surly snifter, and allowed to slowly warm up...

Appearance: Pours with a very nice white head which bellows up the glass, sticks around momentarily, and dissipates leaving some light bubble rim on the beer. The color is leaning towards golden orange, very clear. Not any lacing to speak of.

Smell: From the moment the can is opened, the hops definitely come center stage. There is some real weight behind the hops too, some slightly floral, citrusy, piney, and definitely resinous notes. The alcohol smell seems to pair with the assertive smell of the hops which is actually really nice. Some definite malt on the nose in sense of some balancing sweetness, though the hops seem to dominate the nose...which isn't any problem what so ever.

Taste: Some really clean hop bitterness with some slightly earthy and ester overtones, though pretty well hop specific. There is more of a malt presence on the taste which works to try and balance the hops without overshadowing their potency. The booze isn't really evident, and it's astringency works with the bitter dryness of the hops. nice hop profile which isn't lost in the sweetness of the malt, which to me seems like a balanced, hop forward IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Certainly on the dry side, but for sake of not loosing that clean hop bitterness, i'm fine with that. For a double ipa, this is very smooth, albeit it a likely palette wrecker. The hop profile of this beer is really beautiful, and it's just an enjoyable beer overall.

Overall: Well the drinkability...haha...i mean Overall, this beer is really memorable. For the hop heads among us, who are looking for a bigger beer, with a big hop profile devoid of big sweetness or chewiness, this is definitely worth searching out. I will certainly search this out in the future.

03-21-2011 02:48:35 | More by amcmaho1