Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Abrasive AleAbrasive Ale

Wants: 1,898
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Was "16 Grit Ale," but now available in cans and renamed "Abrasive Ale".

Sure we're abrasive. We were abrasive long before we were Surly. If you visit the brewery you can still see remnants of industrial manufacturing factory Omar's parents ran for 35 years within those same 4 walls. Bandsaw blades, grinding wheels, and a sanding discs came long before ales and lagers. But let's be honest, this is a lot more fun. Pale in color, this over-hopped, under-brewed Double IPA has almost twice the amount of hops & malt crammed in the can.

(Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008)

1 pint can poured into a New Belgium Goblet

Appearance: Hazy orangish color. Fairly thin white head. Maybe just a little lacing.

Aroma: Piney with lots of citrus. Almost smells like a cocktail. (In a good sense.) To me, it's the perfect DIPA smell.

Taste: Sweet, citrusy, with a long finish. The finish is bitter, yet sweet. It's really good, but hard to explain. (Or I just suck at explaining it.)

Mouthfeel: While the odd bitter finish lasts, the feel of the beer is quickly gone. It's not syrupy, just smooth with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall: One of my favorite beers. Citrusy Sweet with some great hoppy/bitter notes. Easy to drink, hard to find.

cmannes, Apr 06, 2011
4.53/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to seeswo for this pint can, poured into an imperial pint glass. Canned on date of 1/24/11.

A- Hazy golden orange. Moderate pour produced a finger worth of white frothy head. Head dissipated into a fine lacing cover. Moderate amount of glass lacing.

S- I could smell the piney goodness as soon as I opened the can. Mango, pineapple and hints of grapefruit are also dominating the nose. It is a citrus bomb. If there is malt, it has entered witness protection with citrus as its body guards.

T- The citrus is still present in the taste but is toned down. Mainly ruby red grapefruit with lemon and mango. The malt acts like a spoonful of sugar to add the right amount of sweetness. Long and persistent bitter linger.

M- Medium body with correct amount of carbonation. Not exactly crisp, but almost. It is really sticky.

O- Another winner from Surly. The smell won be over at first sniff. The taste is there, just not as great as the smell, which would be near impossible. Not sure I would want more than one drink at a time. The abv is just high enough that two would make be good and tipsy and I wouldn't appreciate the second as much as I should.

betsona, Apr 05, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

First time trying Abrasive, thanks Tewaris.

Canned on 2/7/11. Poured into a Tyler's/Speakeasy pint glass.

Pours a burnt orange color, light and slightly cloudy. No head, just a white top layer that dissipates within a few seconds.

Aroma is a ton of citrus, grapefruit and sweet acidic fumes. Smells fantastic.

Taste is very nice, hops up front, dry, floral and citrus notes as expected. Maltier finish than I was expecting, and not all that bitter. The finish is not what I was expecting, it's very unique and somewhat sweet. There is an umami type flavor in here that I can't place. Lots of malt.

Mouthfeel is nice, I would like a bit more carbonation, the finish is abrupt which is surprising for a beer with so much hops.

The aroma of this beer was the best part. The taste was good, but the smell was the tops for any DIPA I've tasted. I would love to try it on tap some time.

Ipatsfans, Apr 05, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

another Surly brew review thanks to one of the best trades ever from FreshmanPour77. I cannot wait to try this DIPA.

A- pours a hazy orange body that literally glows in my ithaca tulip. A nice head of foam with a yellow tint sticks around with some decent traces of lacing on the sides.

S- I have smelled this before! Massive hops with pineapple, mango, and citrus flavors up front. Piney resin at the back. The alcohol does not pop up at all. As another reviewer wrote... this does smell like Flower Power! Spicey and herbal as well. Very uplifting!

T- pure citrus with a blends of caramel malt show up. Very, very, very bitter with the flavors clinging all over the palate. It's a hop fest that makes sure some malty flavors are around. The connection to pineapples is impeccable in the brew and the bitterness is a great ending

M- syrupy carbonated flavor all over the mouth. I love it!

D- I cannot say enough about Surly's brews. Abrasive ale is spot on with the other brews. This is incredibly tasty with the alcohol almost distant. This is one highly recommended DIPA. IF SURLY EVER CAME TO SYRACUSE, I WOULD LOSE MY MIND!!!!

lovindahops, Apr 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Got this from HipHop1 via trade - Thanks Hollie !

Poured from 16 oz can into Duvel Tulip -Canned on 2/28/11

A: Poured cloudy golden orange with one and half finger head than dissipated rather quickly into a thin creamy lacing, decent carbonation.

S: Pine , Citrus , Hops , slight malt

Taste : Hops upfront, grapefruit ,pine and decent malt backing.

O: Overall this was a treat of an Ipa, The fruity flavors were well balanced with pine and hop notes as well as a decent malt backing that evened this abrasive beast out. I will be seeking out more in the future.

InebriatedJoker, Apr 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

1/24/11 canning date, drank from a tuilip. The beer poured a clear golden amber with about a finger of white fluffy head. The aroma was fruity - pineapple, grapefruit, with some sticky pineyness. The taste was pungently hoppy. It was very sweet and malty up front, then settling in to a bitterly hopped up finnish. The mouthfeel was smooth and pleasantly syrupy, well carbonated with a dry finish. Overall this was a well balanced and tasty DIPA.

surlytheduff, Apr 02, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

16 oz can poured into tulip shaped imperial pint glass.

The beer pours a dark golden yellow, very similar to the color of Mott's apple juice. The head is very large and white, but dissipates very quickly leaving a sparkling, glittery lace all over the glass.

The smell is strong pine and grapefruit...almost an even balance between the two. Most IPAs seem to lean one way, but this one has a definite balance on the hop nose. I also pick up a very nice dank wet hop smell here. There is a little bit of a sweet pastry note in the background that adds a little doughy sweetness that keeps it from being too bitter.

The taste is bitter sweet on the front with strong notes of pineapple and citrus fruit. This is followed by a fantastic peach/nectarine flavor that is outstanding...really adds a nice delicate balance to an otherwise powerful flavor. This is definitely one of the fruitiest IPAs I've tasted. There is a little bit of a dry grassiness at the finish, but the main flavor here is sweet fruity hops and there is no shortage.

The mouth is carbonated well but finishes a little oily. This is one of the few dings on a remarkable interpretation of the DIPA style. The drinkability is decent and comparable to many of the other big boy DIPAs.

Overall, a nice offering from Surly. I prefer some of their other beers (I'm looking at you, Bender), but this is definitely something I could drink a few of if it were readily available. When fresh, one of the better IPAs out there...really love this one compared to the other Midwest big-names (Hopslam, Double Trouble, etc).

dgfair, Apr 02, 2011
4.53/5  rDev 0%

Pint can (thank you mnbearsfan!) into a Duvel Snifter.
Pours cloudy orange/amber with a smallish, white head which dissipated into a coating or less. There is some light lacing all the way through. Nose is grapefruit, pineapple, lemon zest and mango, with pine and floral notes. As others have said, the nose of this beer never quits. The taste is grapefruit, some sweet caramel malt, brown sugar and honey . The finish is dry and mildly bitter, but refreshingly so. Warning, wow, there is no sense of the ABV on the way down. Mouthfeel is medium to light with a wonderful crispness, medium carbonation, and only slightly sticky. For those who still think great things can't come in a can, I offer this as definitive evidence. All-in-all, this is a great DIPA and one i would love to have regular access to.

regspeir, Apr 01, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Received in a trade thanks syrupjoe! Really excited to try this one out! Can dateed 1/14/2011.

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass with a half finger white head on top of a dark orange opaque body.

Smell: Very hoppy as expected. So much citrus it is rediculous. This reminds me of another beer but I cant place my finger on it right now. Maybe reminiscent of Ithaca Flower Power (which is a great thing).

Taste: Wow this beer is amazing. I would not change a thing about the taste. Super citrusy and fruity. Not too high on the bitterness for the stated IBUs but the bitterness is there. This beer is very sweet and almost like a hop juice which is perfect for a hophead such as myself.

Mouthfeel: Nice bubbly feeling with the carbonation which really helps enhance the taste. Nice medium thickness.

Overall: Give me more! I wish Surly was availble by me. If I am ever in Minnesota at the right time I will stock up on this! I thought Furious was great but Abrasive blows it out of the water.

OddNotion, Mar 31, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Can poured into my New Belgium globe. Thank you spycow for this much wanted brew.

Wow as a I pour this all I can say is it smells phenomenal. I can't wait to drink this one. Orange-hazy body with a big white head that sticks to the side of the glass. Smells incredible. Citrusy hop notes mingle with some tropical hints and a mango like sweetness. Really this is how a DIPA should smell. The taste brings a more balanced attack than the nose, nice citrusy notes up front balanced with a pale malt base. Fairly bitter in the finish but not too much so. Really nice hop flavor without being overly bitter. mouthfeel is medium body with a little less carbonation than I'd like.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. I love the aroma on this one and the flavor makes it a top notch DIPA. I hope I can try this on draft someday since I've come to realize that is how most DIPA's truly shine. That being said I would never be upset to get more of this. A fantastic beer that I think I will seek out when it is re released next year.

jpmclaug, Mar 30, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Big thanks to KeefD for sending me a 4-pack of this along with other locals in our recent trade - I've been wanting to have this for a long time.

Pours a lighter orange/yellow with a touch of brown. Has slight clarity but is more translucent and appears a bit cloudy. Head is as usual for Surly - large, caky, fluffy and very fine. Off-white beast leaves spotty lacing and retains for a long time as a half-finger cap.

The smell is intoxicating as soon as you hear the hiss of the can - it's that strong. To my nose, this is the most citrus-centric beer I've smelled in a while. Tons of grapefruit and clean orange, with just a hint of pineapple, this beer is more fragrant than many air fresheners on the market. A bit of pine and malt at the back offer something else to keep it interesting. Awesome.

Citrus is not as strong in the taste, but the malts come in a lot more to help out. Grapefruit at the start is juicy and pungent, and is quickly complemented by toffee/caramel malt that gives it a bit of sweetness. Pine and a harsh bitterness finish the beer, giving it a nice dry ending. The hops are a bit dank as well which I like. It's a hop bomb to be sure; not what the smell would predict, but an awesome hop bomb nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is good for the style - crisp, slightly sticky, very dry finish, and a bit of harshness from the bitterness. This beer happens to do the dry part very well but the sticky part not as well - but the dryness wins out for sure. Drinkability is helped a lot by that dryness as it's the last thing the palate feels here. Intense aromas remain throughout the beer and flavors are fine as the beer warms. I had a tough time making the glass last, as the awesome dryness at the end of sips was too much to make me resist another swig. Wasn't let down by this beer, and look forward to trading for it on an annual basis.

madvermin, Mar 30, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: The beer's color is situated between deep gold and pale amber. An antique white head rises with the pour, but fails to stick around or produce any significant lacing. Slight haze on second pour.

S: As soon as the can is popped open, the smell of a fresh tropical fruit salad drifts into the air. Impressive. Most prominent is ruby red grapefruit, with orange, papaya and maybe mango following further behind. Dank, pungent and fresh.

T: Malts are present almost solely in a slight sweetness, seeming to strain under the enormous hop bill. The taste brings to mind having a red ruby grapefruit with a bit of sugar for breakfast. Some orange and orange zest, too. Not complicated, but bright and convincing. Hoppy finish that lingers pleasantly.

M: Prickly carbonation somehow works with oily feel and compliments bitterness. Not obviously warming.

D: I have to keep reminding myself that I'm drinking a potent beer; otherwise, I would easily crush another can or two and get into trouble.

Thanks to joshuaseresse for opportunity.

Wadsey, Mar 30, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a can into my bells tulip.

A- dirty reddish orange. White one inch head crowns this beauty. Descending rings of lace surround my glass. Great looking beer.

S- mango sweet tangy cantaloupes. Some pine and small amounts of hop dank creep into the fruit frenzy.

T- grapefruit mixed with orange juice and hoppy mango. Huge flavors that are real tasty. Bitter and sweet battle for a stronghold and Im first row for the fight.

M- bitter puckering feel That is so nice. Medium feel That is really easy to drink. Very bitter but so good.

Overall a great iipa. The tastes jump out of the glass and smack you in the mouth. Fruity and Bitter just like I like em. I want to say balanced but even the sweet is bitter. A specific flavor profile done right.

Kelly88, Mar 29, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

BIG thanks goes out to KJ (aka mulletjunky) for hooking me up with some cans of Abrasive. I've been waiting to try this DIPA, so here we go...

A: Pours a somewhat clear (minus the chill haze) dark honey with a creamy white head. Some moderate lacing is left behind, as well as a foam cap sip through swallow. A rather impressive and beautiful DIPA.

S: Notes of sweet, tart and juicy pineapple up front followed by mango. Further in are aromas of fresh cut grass, black pepper and a mild hint of red onion.

T: Not as bitter as I would expect up-front, instead a mild blend of orange and papaya are first. Then comes some grassy wet hops, finished by a residual red onion flavor, however, it is nothing like the onion taste in say, GUBNA. Very well done.

M: Medium-bodied with ample carbonation, nothing is overdone or understated. A wonderful mouth feel though unfortunately not nearly as creamy like a PtE feel, which to me was perfect.

This beer is definitely worth seeking out and makes me wish Surly distributed in PA. An absolutely fantastic DIPA in its own regard.

ShanePB, Mar 29, 2011

Shared by Chico1985, notes from Friday.

A- Slightly hazy golden hue with a decent white cap that has OK retention. A small ring and cloud leaves a few rings of lace.

S- Pungent pine, peach and citrus with some strange onion thing. Light malt and bread.

T- A ton of hops lending citrus, floral, pine, juicy peach and the onion thing again. Slight bread and sweetness. Dank.

MF- Creamy substantial body with a good amount of carbonation and a pretty big bitterness.

DB- Drinks well for how big it is and the amount of hops. The onion thing is a bit odd but I still enjoy this beer.

cbutova, Mar 27, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks goes out to luxbwin for this brew.

Canned On: 02/07/11

Poured into a Surly glass a very nice cloudy golden orange color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger plus off-white head, lots of thick/creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some nice sweet malt notes, lots of citrus, and a nice touch of pine. The taste is awesome, very hoppy, with a nice blend of malts for sweetness, citrusy. Medium Body, with a nice dry/bitter finish. Very Drinkable, this has got to be one of the best DIPAs have had to date. Thanks Luc!

Wasatch, Mar 26, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

From a can into a chalice, it pours a clear dark amber with a cream color head. Nice lacing is left behind. The aroma is a bold honey or tangerine blossom tinged with the sweetness of peach. Hefty, yet well balanced, in taste with floral and citrus hops leading the way, caramel and a good bite at the end. Mouthfeel is heavy and satisfying as the flavor lingers. Overall, Abrasive is a hell of a Double IPA with exceptional balance and drinkability.

ActualAir, Mar 24, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Canned on 2/7/11

A- Booming white one inch head in my tulip. Beer is dark golden to light orange with a dozen nucleation sites causing effervescence. Great head retention and lacing.

S- Could smell citrus/hops immediately from a foot away when I popped the top!

T- Pungent dankity dank-dankness. Both citrus and pine make and appearance.

M- Slightly syrupy but with a biting carbonation on the tongue.

D/O- What a delicious brew! Alcohol is well hidden making this pint-sized can no match. For as much hype as Hopslam gets, I'd have to give Abrasive the nod over it. #1 DIPA in the land? This would get plenty of votes and rightfully so. "When in Minnesota and you got a drinking quota."

Duff27, Mar 22, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

The canned on date has become illegible, but it was likely canned sometime in January.

Poured into surly snifter, and allowed to slowly warm up...

Appearance: Pours with a very nice white head which bellows up the glass, sticks around momentarily, and dissipates leaving some light bubble rim on the beer. The color is leaning towards golden orange, very clear. Not any lacing to speak of.

Smell: From the moment the can is opened, the hops definitely come center stage. There is some real weight behind the hops too, some slightly floral, citrusy, piney, and definitely resinous notes. The alcohol smell seems to pair with the assertive smell of the hops which is actually really nice. Some definite malt on the nose in sense of some balancing sweetness, though the hops seem to dominate the nose...which isn't any problem what so ever.

Taste: Some really clean hop bitterness with some slightly earthy and ester overtones, though pretty well hop specific. There is more of a malt presence on the taste which works to try and balance the hops without overshadowing their potency. The booze isn't really evident, and it's astringency works with the bitter dryness of the hops. nice hop profile which isn't lost in the sweetness of the malt, which to me seems like a balanced, hop forward IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Certainly on the dry side, but for sake of not loosing that clean hop bitterness, i'm fine with that. For a double ipa, this is very smooth, albeit it a likely palette wrecker. The hop profile of this beer is really beautiful, and it's just an enjoyable beer overall.

Overall: Well the drinkability...haha...i mean Overall, this beer is really memorable. For the hop heads among us, who are looking for a bigger beer, with a big hop profile devoid of big sweetness or chewiness, this is definitely worth searching out. I will certainly search this out in the future.

amcmaho1, Mar 21, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Served in a glass mug.

Thanks to VDubb86 via hannydawg for sharing this can!

I'm glad to be trying this brew having heard such great things about it from everyone else. it pours a mostly clear sunrise amber topped by a finger of slightly off-white foam. The nose comprises onion, strong mint, parsley, and some light caramel basking in the background. The taste holds notes of orange peel, cilantro, very light onion, black pepper, greens, very light caramel, light pine, and light mint. The body straddles the line between heavy light and light medium, with a mild carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a very nice DIPA. It's a bit unbalanced toward the hops, but it never becomes o'erwhelming in that direction.

TMoney2591, Mar 21, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Served in a mug

Thanks to hannydawg for letting me try this awesomeness

This beer pours a clear copper color with a bone white head on the surface. The nose smells like a hop plant there is some pine cone in that hop smell and a hint of malt in the background. The first taste and holy god hops. There was the initial mouthfull of terroir was potent, but subsequent sips are much less "abrasive". There is a pretty decent flavor to it as well, there is a sweet caramel malt flavor behind the bitter hops. The hops are really nice, and actually finish as a minty flavor. This mouthfeel isn't problematic to the palate in the slightest. Overall this is an excellent beer. I'm glad that I have this in my glass right now.

Vdubb86, Mar 20, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks turfy for this trade.

Wife out with friends? Check!
Kid is fed, bathed and put to sleep? Check!

Let the festivities begin.

Poured from a can into a Crate and Barrel Bruges snifter.

A - This beer pours one of the most wonderful orange hues i have yet seen in an IPA. The head is a fluffy white and i can tell that this is one oily beer cause its clinging to dear life on the sides of the glass. Im not even yet seeing any lacing since the head is only receding in the middle and not the sides. I cant wait.

S - This IS THE BEST SMELLING IPA EVER!!! The moment i open the can i get wafted with some incredible dank pine. More so than i have ever experienced. This is one of the most citrus forward Imperial IPA's i have smelled yet. I'm also getting some over-ripened mango and pineapple.

T - Hopslam, you've met your match! Huge and malty yet sharp and bitter. This is such a balanced beer i can hardly believe it. This has such a strong citrus fruit base yet i get some caramel and brown sugar on the malt backbone. The hops definitely center stage here though. This in not a beer i would ever expect to come from the midwest (no-offence). I could swear there is some honey in this beer as well, which is what why i immediately thought of Hopslam. Bravo Surly.

M - Thick and oily. Decent carbonation for the style, very reminiscent of the light, yet full Hopslam bubbles.

O - This is by far one of the best examples of an Imperial IPA. This experience reminds me of the first time i had the pleasure of sampling Pliny. Its kinda eye opening. I cant plead enough for Surly to distribute this to California. I would give up many of our wonderful beers to have this on a regular basis.

dubinsky, Mar 20, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange with three fingers of white head that fades into a thin layer with good lacing.

S: Mmmm, grapefruit, grapefruit, and more grapefruit. There is some rind in there as well as pineapple, apricots, and pine. Amazing.

T: Again, grapefruit and rind first and foremost. LOTS of grapefruit. There is a piny flavor and bitterness on the end as well as some caramel malt flavors. The bitterness doesn't linger at all. Again, amazing.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer beer almost seems creamy and crisp. The creaminess I imagine is from the strong malt backbone, but it works well with the grapefruit flavors.

O: Overall, a phenomenal DIPA. Definitely the most grapefruit-forward I've had and probably my second favorite DIPA. Amazing, amazing beer.

n2185, Mar 19, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours a orange-amber with a fluffy one finger off-white head. Nice retention, spotty lacing, not bad looking but nothing exceptional.

S - Wow, this may be the most citrus-centric beer I've experienced. Huge grapefruit and some zing from lemon at the end. Sweet malt profile on the backend.

T - Tasted better then the aroma. Huge rugged grapefruit without the "dry" acidic taste that come from a big hop profile. Ends nice and juicy with lemon peel, and maybe some sweeter tangerine. Plenty of medium sweet malts on the back, but not syrupy sweet. Really excellent balance with great flavor.

M - Decent enough, medium body, quite a carbonated punch. Could be a touch thicker and chewier.

O - Probably my new favorite DIPA because I'm a citrus hop fan. Grapefruit and lemon pack a huge punch, but you don't get that "tired palate" syndrome like some DIPA's cause. Perfect malt background, good aroma, decent mouthfeel...this is a solid beer with a great taste.

chilly460, Mar 18, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid. Nothing exceptional here. Fairly deep amber with decent head and retention settling to a nice and persistent ring.
S: Big blast of what I'm guessing are Summit hops up front; all meaty and vegetal. Some crisp pine follows (what my lady calls pine trees) with some rich fruit. Not lean, yet very much hop centric Very strong aroma wafting from my NB globe. I could happily smell this all night...
T: Oh yum. Very nice balance here. Malt is unobtrusive but is there enough to provide richness and balance to the strong hop flavors. Still guessing this is Summit driven with its strong vegetal notes, but intensly woodsy (not wood-y) on the finish with a wonderful lingering bitterness. Some citrus mid-palate.
M: Excellent. Rich but not thick. Crisp but not lean. A mouthful of BIG IPA, but refreshed by an absolutly perfect level of carbonation for this brew.
O: Damn. I have found a non-West Coast DIPA that swings for the fences. I'd put this up against any IPA I've ever had, and happily drink with regularity were that possible (only one can...). Someone send me more!

oregone, Mar 17, 2011