Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Abrasive AleAbrasive Ale

Wants: 1,907
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Was "16 Grit Ale," but now available in cans and renamed "Abrasive Ale".

Sure we're abrasive. We were abrasive long before we were Surly. If you visit the brewery you can still see remnants of industrial manufacturing factory Omar's parents ran for 35 years within those same 4 walls. Bandsaw blades, grinding wheels, and a sanding discs came long before ales and lagers. But let's be honest, this is a lot more fun. Pale in color, this over-hopped, under-brewed Double IPA has almost twice the amount of hops & malt crammed in the can.

(Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008)
4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a tasting of this on 2011-03-05 at the Imminent Liquidation Beer Advocate event at the Bull's Head Public House in Lititz, PA. Had a fresh (5-day old) full can on 2011-12-23 in Columbia, PA and ammended some comments and scores upwards.

A - Slightly hazy straw with maybe a hint of orange. 3-finger white head and moderate lacing.

S - Very strong aroma with with lots of mango, peach, pineapple to a lesser extent, some pine, light grain, crushed-in-your-hand hop cones. Top notch.

T - Bold, bright and bitter grapefruit juice, tropical flesh and light caramel malt sweetness, plenty of pine and some mint. Aftertaste is a nice combination of tart-citrus and pine with a touch of sweetness and plenty of lingering bitterness as it dries.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation. Smooth, prickly, moderately resinous.

O - It's not quite as wonderful smelling as a fresh Heady-Topper or a Pliny the Elder but it is very close. To me it tastes on par with these other two brews. It has more balancing malt/fruit than the Heady-Topper, more abrasive bitterness than the Pliny (the most balanced), and more pine than either of them. Great stuff, any way you slice it.

Tucquan, Mar 13, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

Matt - Thanks again!

Canned 02/28/2011 -- Consumed 03/11/2011

Appearance -- Pours an almost rosy orange with a slim sudsy beige cap. Sitting on the table, it just BEGS to be consumed.

Smell -- Tangerine and tropical fruits, dry prairie grasses, mild Simcoe cattiness. I have a hard time locking down the malts from the nose; the juicy fruits are really popping, but otherwise it smells dry and slightly toasted. Furious + juicy fruits?

Taste -- Front end is all bright and juicy citrus, followed in short order by Simcoe pungency and resin. Malt sweetness is fine-tuned: just enough to really make those aromatic hop notes pop but still leaves the hop buttering forceful. Mid-palate golden toast meets with caramel and candied orange zest. Lingering flavor of tangerine rind and green onion.

Mouthfeel -- Medium bodied with moderate prickly carbonation. The bubbles themselves have a fine feeling - very gentle on the tongue, but still lively. High marks.

Drinkability -- Pretty damn good, depending on your opinion toward Simcoe. Anyone who associates Simcoe with cat piss, or liver and onions - don't bother with this one. For the rest of us, this is an incredible DIPA that tastes like a bigger, juicier Furious. Not my favorite DIPA ever, but certainly another EPIC IPA from Surly.

yeahnatenelson, Mar 12, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Can poured into a standard pint glass. Not ideal, but it'll do.

A: Deep copper color. Relatively little head after an average poor. Lacing coats the side of the glass beautifully.

S: Holy citrus!Tons of grapefruit coming through here. Very intense hop aroma. Loving it!

T: An even more concentrated hoppy citrus smack in the face. I can see why they call this one abrasive. A little malt comes through at the end, but mostly just bitter, fruity hops. Precisely what I look for in an American DIPA. Very tasty.

M: Love the feel of this one. It's thick and juicy. An almost oily texture coats the mouth with every sip.

D: A little too heavy to have more than 1 or 2 of these in a sitting.

An exceptional brew from Surly. Much better than Furious in my opinion.

langept, Mar 12, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks, Urbancaver for sharing!

Pours an orange-red with a nice, frothy white head. Gorgeous color.

Smells of big simcoe (cat piss hops), honey, citrus and pine.

The taste is big, as to be expected. Raw and scathing. Worth the hype, a great DIPA.

Great mouthfeel, nice and bubbly.

beachbum1975, Mar 11, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big thanks to coenbd for this one
16 oz can poured into a snifter

A- Clear orange/copper color with a nice two finger off-white head

S- Big juicy tropical and citrus hops, piney hops.

T- Citrus hops up front, big bitter pine hops in the finish, and a good malt backbone.

M- Smooth, refreshing, medium body.

D- If I can buy this near me I would buy it all the time. Big hoppy beer that goes down easily. The 9% ABV is not noticeable at all.

larryi86, Mar 10, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: A very nice light orange haze

Smell: Big citric, pine, and grapefruit on the nose

Head: Big white head with small bubbles around the rim as it settles

Taste: It's a hardy citric with a touch of grapefruit and a small amount of heat

Weight: Medium to high body and medium carbonation

Finish: Sticky, dark hoppy grapefruit sticks to the cheeks and lips

Snow81, Mar 10, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

Received from maximum12 as an extra. Always looking forward to trying an DIPA I have never had before.

Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

I really enjoyed this beer from the start. After the initial pour a beautiful white head appeared about an 1/8 of an inch above the glass. It faded rather quickly, but left a nice lacing around the brim. Has an intense smell of piney hops, which I really enjoy. The taste is almost identical to the smell, very bitter, but in a good way. The drinkability on this one is pretty high considering the 9% ABV. I could easily put down a 4-pk of these, but I wouldn't recommend driving afterward.

brian44556, Mar 09, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to tbeq00 for this. Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark orange with a half a finger of white head.

Smell: Grapefruit, mango, floral hops mixed with a sweet malty aroma.

Taste: Sweet grapefruit, tangerine and mango citrus. Bitter, floral hops, balanced with sweet malt and then a nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with an oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I could drink this bad boy all of the time. Lives up to the hype.

Axic10, Mar 07, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass. Thanks to NuBrewm for sending a four pack to me.

A: A deep golden orange color with a nice perfect one finger white head. Ring lacing on the glass sticks.

S: Holy hops! Huge juicy citrus smells with grapefruit, pineapple, lemon with pine notes coupled with a big sweet juicy caramel malt smell. Wow, just wow.

T: Hot damn, this is a hophead's dream. The citrus hops on this beer is crazy. Huge amounts of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon and some sweeter mango like fruit. You just want to squeeze the fruit juices out of this beer. The fruit is followed by a heavy caramel sweetness that blends just perfectly with the hops. Again, wow. Finish turns bitter with some pine flavors, the juicy fruit flavors stay and the sweetness lingers to keep the entire flavor lasting. What a kick ass beer.

M: Full, coating, prickly, juicy, a bit of alcohol (much welcomed) and perfect carbonation.

D: For 9%? Wow, this is so enjoyable and drinkable. Dangerous if it was on draft. Dangerous period.

Overall I am just blown away. This rivals the best of the DIPAs and is probably the best DIPA just behind PtE. Amazingly good. I just wish this brewer could ship stuff outside their state so everyone could realize just how damn good these beers are. Furious and Abrasive might just be the best IPA/DIPA combo made today. Wow, just wow. Lucky for me I still have 3 more to enjoy. Stellar.

Kadonny, Mar 07, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

Served in a tulip at Jake Melnick's in Chicago. From notes.

A - Golden umber, high effervescence for the style, big billowing white head of 3 fingers. Leaves intricate, heavy lacing. A stunner visually.

S - Grapefruit, pineapple, super bitter and earthy hops. A touch of sweetness from the malt emerges as well.

T - Tongue-numbing, palate destroying, citrus and grassy hops dominate. A hint of honey and fresh bread represent the malt bill, but they are very much on the defensive.

M and D - Thin to medium body, oily, finishes somewhat dry. The strong bitterness keeps you drinking.

An excellent Midwestern DIPA. I'd love it if the cans were available here.

AJacob81, Mar 07, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -13.2%

Received as an "extra" from arvjunk, much appreciated

can poured into my New Belgium glass

Pours a near perfect amount of creamy yellow head. I actually took a step back after pouring just to admire. I pour so few of my beers from a can that I was really impressed by this one from Surly

Smell was certainly hop-forward. I caught some grapefruit but as I continued to imbibe I sensed more of a sour, almost body odor aroma, not out of the genre but a little off for my preference

Tastes of a classic DIPA, hoppy, grape-fruity with just a touch of sweetness to create a nice balance.

Nice amount of carbonation with smooth drinking. The ABV is right on for the style. I could drink this on the regular but it's definitely not an easy one to acquire.

CruisaC, Mar 07, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured to my darkness snifter a clear copper with a rush of bubbles creating a large ring and leaving impressive lacing.
Smell is huge grapefruit resin and intoxicating.
The taste is huge stinging grapefruit, it starts kind of sweet but then its just a punch in the mouth.
Mouthfeel is kind of thin and a bit off for my personal IIPA tastes
This is a delicious hop bomb just wish it had a bit more body to chew on then it would be perfect.

sliverX, Mar 06, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Received in a trade with UMNbeerhunter, and poured into a Spiegelau tulip.

Appearance: Pour yields a dark orangish-amber liquid with a half-finger of bright white head consisting of very large bubbles. Decent retention considering the amount of head, and some great lacing finds its way down the sides of the glass. This is darker than I imagined it to be, but it's very pleasant in appearance.

Smell: As soon as I cracked open the can, a rush of citrusy pine-grapefruit goodness washed over me. This is exactly what I want a Double IPA to smell like. Juniper and fresh-cut pine reminds me of hiking in the forests of Colorado, and the citrus notes definitely take me to a breakfast table with fresh-squeezed lemons and grapefruits. Not much in the way malts, but that could be because my nose just got dominated by the fresh hops, but all in all, this is one of the best noses I've ever smelled.

Taste: Just like the nose, this one is so hop-forward; you might as well be sucking on a whole-cone C-hop. The citrus hits you straight in the mouth, and the pine intermingles its way in so as to create a very fresh flavor combination on your palate. The back-end rounds out a little bit, but the tart finish reminds you that this is a bad-ass DIPA that you just consumed.

Mouthfeel: At first blush, it's very crisp and almost refreshing with the way it combines so many fresh flavors. But, this is deceiving as the dry, tart ending finishes remarkably sticky. I like my DIPAs to be heavy, and this one certainly has its moments, but it's not so overwhelming to be off-putting.

Drinkability: The 9% ABV and the size of the can (16oz) are the only two reasons why this beer doesn't earn a perfect score for drinkability. I love the smoothness of the hops, and the little bit of maltiness lets you know this is still a beer, but there's no debate over what style this precious liquid is that's gracing your tongue. Awesome extra Joe!

COBeerBuff, Mar 05, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've been fortunate to have several cans of this and goddamn is this a great beer.

Pours a beautiful clear golden amber with great carbonation and a creamy white head.

Smell is all fruity hops with so many layers of citrus and just a hint of malt.

Taste is juicy tropical and citrus hops with just the right amount of sweetness.

Great body and carbonation really round out a beer that I could drink all day.

Lunch, Mar 04, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Major thanks to GeezLynn for 134 ounces of IIPA heaven. Reviewed live.

The look is the classic cloudy and thick amber of fine IIPA's. Highly refractive, under copious lace mountains.

I've gotten to love this aroma through savoring eight cans of this luscious brew (this is no. 8 now). All the best aromas of fruitier dry hopping, grapefruit, mango, orange, even lemon zest, some spicy floral, floating on sweet goodness. Doesn't get better than this, folks. It sets off sprinkler systems in the saliva glands.

What a taste! Full flavored, starting with a bit of neutral sweet, super clean, which carries into a sweet chorus of citrus, floral, light pine, bitter pith, finally being balanced with the fine bittering hop, really fruity even here, very nice, I've grown to love this balance. The complexity is in how it keeps coming up with new flavors in the mix, and the finish is at times super dry, at times fruity and a touch juicy, though always in a tongue scrapingly fine way. The balance of it always seems subtly to be shifting, but somehow always balanced. Stunning taste, absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel is about as good as my other two faves in this style (Pliny The Elder, Heady Topper), near perf. carb, attenuation, hop resin, finish.

Drinkability is good as it gets. It gets a 5 because this is the first time I've cried knowing I'm consuming my last of a certain brew.

Impression: All my words are superfluous, except these ---> Do you like IIPA's? If so, get this beer, you will f***ing love it!

cavedave, Mar 03, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into my tulip. A beautiful copper color with some sediment at the bottom of the glass. Nice frothy thick white heading that left lacing all throughout the tasting.

Smell is insane you get a flash of the greener hops along with the heavy fruity notes,mango,papaya,pineapple. The nose reminds me alot of Hopslam.

Taste is sublime.Very much like the nose. Heavy fruity hop notes,slightest of caramel sweetness and high sugary alcohol that hurts the cavities.Slight boozey feeling towards the end. Citra hops are in full force here.

Mouth is very alive on the palate with excellent carbonation.A little syrupy but in no way a hassle.

A beautiful sweet treat. This will round out my top 3 IIPA's of all time. IF anyone can ship cases I will be willing to trade. Thanks to shir0043.

TheFightfan1, Mar 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Served from the can to a tulip glass
Thanks to rshellman for the trade

A: Pours a deep amber with a quickly disapating white head, when agitated, an oily lacing drapes the glass.

S: Dank hops dominate, there is a pungency that I've only ever noticed from Alpine beers... possibly a very strong hopback? anyways, fruity and tangy aromas with a slight "rain on hot asphalt" type smell.. in a good way. It's the lupulin oil standing up and shouting strong

T: Grapefruit rind and other citrus notes.. a sweet come on of malty flavor, well balanced. then piney astringency hinting at bitterness but never overwhelming. Alcohol speaks here to.. warming going down but well hidden in the overall profile.

M: I'd say somewhere between medium and full bodied. The gravity is evident. Oily and mouthcoating

D: I'd drink the hell out of this... I want some more Rob!

BrlyHpsWtrYst, Mar 02, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Andy B. for the trade

There is a reason this beer is world renown and highly sought after, it's really f*cking good! Big juicy peach & tangerine nose makes way for a damper'd bitter grapefruit. Big sexy mouthfeel keeps you interested as this beauty starts cold, but warms in your hands. I could have drank this all night, really. I poured a few sips for a couple of friends and they all wanted more of it, bad, but it was all mine! Too bad we can't get this in WI yet.

burnheartsMKE, Mar 01, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Was too easy to drink! A solid auburn/golden color. Nice 2 finger head, due to a quick pour... Guess I was too eager to try it... Definitely hugs your entire mouth. A balanced blend of fruity/citrusy hops with a solid malt backing. I'm not sure how long I sipped it, but I know that I'd like another!

vande, Mar 01, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Town Hall Barrel Aged Week tulip. Last beer of the night 2/24/11.

Pours a pretty golden amber with a good head and decent lacing after a minute or so.

Smell is intoxicating. Tons of pine, malt, and citrus notes. Great mix for a DIPA

Taste is awesome as well. Hops and pine tones over whelm the awesome malt backbone but it feels strangely right to a hophead like me to enjoy the hops over the very sweet maltiness of this beer.

Mouthfeel is good. It coats you mouth with good hop resins and is moderate in the mouth weight.

Drinkability is high on this one for me. I wish this was one of Surly's year around. I love this beer.

UMNbeerhunter, Feb 28, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 2/07/11. I love how cans keep these beers so fresh, this taste the same still as the first one I had a week and a half ago.

A: Aggressive pour creates size-able head that pulls back quickly. Red panda wearing white lace stockings.

S: Tons of tropical fruit and fresh oily hops punch you in the face as soon as you put your nose in the glass. Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, clementine, and even cherry. Strong undercurrent of caramel and vanilla. Mmmm mmm good.

T: I had my mom who hates IPAs (mainly hops) try this and she said, "is that an IPA? Its really fruity and not very bitter at all". The citrus hops have a nice sort of tang about them, but finish with a slight earthy bite. This is going to sound really bad, but its reminding me of the total onion flavor most people seem to get from GUBNA. That said, this one does not taste like onions, no worries. Malts backbone offers a nice sweetness to really carry the juicy hops all the way along.

M: Nice medium body with the perfect level of carbonation. Its not syrupy, but it makes you think it is. Has a nice full creaminess too it.

D: So crisp and fruity I want more and more. This one has quickly pushed its way up there in my books. The only thing stopping it from a perfect score here is the fact that well...it actually is 9% even though you would never know.

Drazzamatazz, Feb 28, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%

Canned 02/07/11

A- Pours a deep ruby color with a two finger lacy white head. Looks rich and promising.

S- A crisp sweet texas grapefruit smell wafts out as soon as you crack the can. Notes of hoppy-ness, pine and other citrus fruits, this is one damn fine smelling beer.

T- Hoppy and sweet, nicely balanced, there is a particular woodiness to it. Quite mellow, the citrus doesn't have as much punch as I was expecting.

M- The malt makes it really smooth and creamy, nice thick body and med-low carbonation. Not too dry for such a hop heavy brew.

D- This is a great IIPA. It is rich and creamy. One of, if not the best smelling beers I've encountered. The sweetness is really mellow and delightful, not overpowering. If you are going to bomb out your pallet for the night, this is the beer to grab.

smm, Feb 28, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

16oz can into taster glass.
from notes.

Pours a lightly hazy, dark orange-golden color with a bubbly foamy off-white head.

The aroma is of incredibly resiny pine, with very faint grapefruit.

Though the resinous pine notes are still the dominant flavors they do back off just enough to allow a bit more of the citric grapefruit to come through than in the nose. There is just a faint amount of malty cracker backing to give it a bit of balance.

The mouthfeel is pretty standard, with a medium body and fairly active carbonation with a dry finish.

The resiny notes are really the defining aspect of this beer, but without becoming the only characteristic to be found. The ABV is very well blended.

vkv822, Feb 27, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -4%

Canning Date: 1/14/11; Reviewed: 2/10/11
16oz can into Duvel tulip
Received via Trade

A: Big, bold and menacing looking for a DIPA; Not the bright orange you typically see in DIPAs but Copper/ Amber in color with 1/2 inch of foamy white head; Spiderweb lacing down the glass

S: Big time citrus (grapefruit and pineapple) and pine bitterness

T: Big, mean and bitter - just how I like my DIPAs. Citrus and pine bitterness balanced by malty bread sweetness; Long, lingering bitter finish

M: Doesn't coat the mouth with sweet stickiness of say Hopslam; Drying effect leaves you wanting more

D: Loved this beer; One of my favorite DIPAs.

If I had ready access to this and Furious, I don't think I would need any other IPAs/DIPAs in the regular rotation.

Double06, Feb 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Received a few of these in a recent trade with HapWifeHapLife. Thanks again Derek!

Pours a dark golden orange color with golden apricot/burnt orange hues when held to a light and a frothy, pillowy two finger off-white head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the pint with large rings, streaks and chunks of soapy lacing.

Sweet citrus hop aroma that's bursting with uber-fresh dank, floral hops. Lots of citrus and tropical fruit as well as some dank,oily, resinous pine character. There's a prominent pineapple and mango presence as well as hints of grapefruit, lemon and orange peel. Underneath, there's also a slight pale malt character that's slightly toasty with hints of biscuit and graham cracker.

Fuller bodied than expected with a blast of ridiculously fresh, sweet floral hops that linger into a sweet, dry finish. Slightly earthy with subtle pine and dry bitterness which is complimented by sweet citrus and tropical fruit notes. Lots of juicy pineapple, mango, grapefruit and orange peel flavor which balances out the drier bitter notes perfectly. Faint toasty malt backbone with hints of biscuit and graham cracker. Just enough of this for complexity and balance without taking away from the glorious hop flavor. The ABV is very well masked with only faint heat toward the end of the swallow, making this beer extremely quaffable.

Overall, this is a delicious and complex beer which is very well balanced and dangerously drinkable. Although it's bursting with sweet fruit flavor, it's not one-dimensional by any means, with an excellent compliment of dry earthy bitterness, subtle malt and alcohol heat. On par with some of the best west coast IPAs and very similar in flavor profile.

corby112, Feb 26, 2011