1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Abrasive Ale - Surly Brewing Company

Abrasive AleAbrasive Ale

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Was "16 Grit Ale," but now available in cans and renamed "Abrasive Ale".

(Beer added by: Buebie on 12-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,658 | Reviews: 785 | Show All Ratings:
dirtylou

Washington

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

on-tap brouwers

Served in a snifter - bright golden-orange body, beige film. Heavy on the citrus - nice bright notes of tangerine, grapefruit, lemon. Peach and guava tropical notes - very juicy and hop-forward. Reminded me very much of Hop Venom - very nice stuff

12-08-2013 21:10:25 | More by dirtylou
drmcleod10

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BeersandBears for sharing!
Served and split with friends last night

A: Awesome amber golden colored ale with great lacing. Looks wonderful

S: Awesome hoppy smells with citrusy fruits that become more and more prevalent as it opens up

T: Tropical fruits hops, amazing taste that is definitely in my top 5 DIPA's… maybe my favorite over heady definitely will have to be tracking this down again…

M: Medium in body with a low to moderate carbonation

O : Have only had this and Darkness from Surly and I am so surprised and amazed at the quality and deliciousness of their beers…. will be tracking this down again

Have furious and coffee bender on the way!

Edit: Even at 2 and a half months old this beer is still fantastic.
Have now had roughly 12 cans of this and definitely want more.

12-07-2013 19:36:37 | More by drmcleod10
NeedBeerHere

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours out a slightly dark orange with a two finger white head that dissipates fairly slowly with some nice lacing. Smell is definitely nice and fruity -- grapefruit, orange, and a little pineapple is what I am getting from the nose. Smells really nice. Taste some nice malts in the background. Definitely a hop forward beer with tastes much like the nose. I'm surprised when I'm thinking critically about the beer that I am getting the malts in the background. Definitely a hop forward beer but there is a really nice balance with the malts I really never noticed before for this IIPA. I don't want to overstate the malts. really not balanced but there are some in the background that are definitely noticeable. Mouthfeel is thicker than most IIPAs but this really makes it a treat. Overall this is a great beer that I always look forward to and was really happy it came early this year.

12-07-2013 08:35:30 | More by NeedBeerHere
raynmoon

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Canned 11/15/13

A: looks like a typical ipa, but in a good way. Light orange, slight haze.

S:pungent dank hops. Citrus, some guava.

T: orange cascade hop notes dominate with a medium bitterness. Then the heady topper funk kicks in. Delicious. Slight alcohol notes.

Mf: slightly creamy. Medium to light carbonation. Long lasting bitterness lingers.

Overall: awesome stuff. I have more cans coming. We'll see how much more I like it

12-05-2013 06:19:47 | More by raynmoon
RaulMondesi

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Raul has to be honest; this sucker has that hop that reminds Raul (as he has stated many times before) of rocket fuel. You know, that "Dale Earnhardt" hop. Well, although Raul isn't a fan of that exact flavor, Abrasive at least is not hot whatsoever. No, no, no, this one will not be sponsored by NASA.

Ok, let's continue. Yeah, like Tebow in overtime, this one is a game changer. Sucker is just smooth; this son of a gun is fresh cement that just dried, all kinds of smooth. Juice, hops, a lil "tinge..."

I didn't believe in ghosts, but I do now. Boo!

11-29-2013 00:17:41 | More by RaulMondesi
homersimpson67

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally bit the bullet and picked up a four pack of Abrasive Ale.
After reading all the glowing reviews and loving Furious for so long I figured it was time.
Canned on 11/15/13, very fresh!!

A- Pours a nice glowing golden hue with a bit of cloudiness to it, maybe a finger of fine white foam that dissipated quickly.

S- Ah yes, a bright burst of citrus and pine, I could smell that all day!! You can just tell it will taste good by how damn fresh and floral it is!

T- Yeah, it is delicious, hits the front of the tongue with a slight bitterness that quickly gives way to a perfect balance of hops and citrus and a smooth follow through down the back of the throat, very drinkable and deceptive at 9%.

M- Not much to say other than...really friken good!

O- The whole experience with this beer is quite great. It is top 3 easy for any lover of the strong IPA's! I really enjoy breathing in the smell as I drink it out of my trusted tulip vessel.
Top notch Surly, in a state with crap for sports teams at least we have a "winner" with you!

11-28-2013 03:13:00 | More by homersimpson67
Ri0

Wisconsin

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 16oz can into snifter. Canned on 10/30/13

A - Orangish apricot color with a 1.5 finger white head. Decent lacing.

S - Boom! Hops everywhere. Dank grapefruit and citrus with floral character. Some pine bitters hit the olfactory as well.

T - Hell yes! Hops all over my mouth. This is 9%? So easy to drink. Big citrus and tons of bitter grapefruit. A light honey/caramel sweetness makes a brief appearance in the middle and the finish is bitter pine.

M - Oily medium body with great carbonation. Bitter lingers for a bit on the palate.

O - I'll just call it the Heady Topper of the Midwest. We don't need Heady cuz we got Abrasive!

11-26-2013 13:36:36 | More by Ri0
vinny21bal

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This a great IPA. I really think surly puts out great beers. I would drink this IPA right away. It losses the hops quick. There is a great nose on this beer. It is 16 ounces of awesome. Great flavor. Good mouthfeel for an IPA. Not as much citrus as some of the other IPAs out there but it is outstanding.

11-25-2013 01:45:10 | More by vinny21bal
Jas45678

4.41/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce can into tulip. Thank you lurpy1.

Pours a nice golden copper hue with a frothy one white head. Decent lacing. Smell is very resinous with lots of tropical citrus. Taste has lots of juicy citrus and a nice amount of piney resinous. Medium bodied with average carbonation. Overall a great DIPA.

11-24-2013 18:34:00 | More by Jas45678
TCMike

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the can into a glass, and it produced a finger, and a half of off white head. The beer color is a hazy, medium honey color.

The aroma is of a sweet citrus combo, (pineapple, grapefruit, predominantly), and a hint of pine.

The taste is WOW! Similar to smell...up front citrus sweetness, followed by a dry, pine bitterness. The bitterness is not overpowering...nicely balanced. Medium body, and carbonation. ABV is 9%, but not even noticeable.

Incredible beer.

11-23-2013 03:04:05 | More by TCMike
PHBoiler

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Slightly amber golden body with big foamy white head when poured into a glass. The nose jumps out with bold tropical fruits. Pineapple specifically. Some mango. The front end is very fruity while the back end is a dank, bitter finish. Very full flavored DIPA. Much better poured into the glass than from the can. A world class DIPA that has something for everyone from fruitiness to bitterness.

11-20-2013 20:59:57 | More by PHBoiler
DemoniChris

Nebraska

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from can into tulip. Canned on 10/30/13

A - Deep orange with a nice reddish hue on this one. Nice eggshell white head with decent retention. Fair lacing.

S - ... It really doesn't get much better than this. This is one of the most potent, dank, resinous, hop-forward beers I've ever smelled. Getting a fair amount of pine, big citrus and mild floral notes. Definitely some marijuana qualities as well.

T - Extends beautifully from the smell. Tropical citrus hits you up front with a sweetness which immediate turns into a dry piney bitterness at the end of the sip which lingers for what seems like forever. It begs you to take another sip. No alcohol taste whatsoever.

M - Oily resinous mouthfeel with a medium body. The malt definitely takes a backseat here, but isn't completely hidden to help balance out the absurd amount of hops.

O - One of the best I've ever had without a doubt; a hop-head's holy grail. Seek this one out, I know I will be in the future.

11-17-2013 22:59:04 | More by DemoniChris
ironchefmiyagi13

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Canned on 10/30 and consumed RIGHT MEOW! (11/14)

I love beer from cans, I really do. There is just something about cracking open the top that just allows the aroma to gush out of the opening. The only beer I have been completely floored from in terms of aroma was Heady Topper, which coincidentally was from a can. Well consider me floored from yet another DIPA from a can!

Not gonna go on about appearance. Who reads that part anyway? It looks rad. There, said it.

Great Odin's Raven!

Smells like liquid ambrosia. Fo' real. Dank hops, juicy citrus, hint of garlic that all badass DIPAs have. Yeah, this puts hair on my chest. And just in time for the winter too!

Flavor is EXACTLY the same as the aroma...jizztastic. So flavorful and possessing no alcohol burn what so ever. Honestly, with all of the 6% beers that have WAY too much alcohol presence, this is 9% and as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Honestly, this is just as good as Heady. I have had 2 day old Heady, as well as 2 month old Heady and I can tell a big change in its flavor and aroma. At 3 weeks, I have a feeling that at 2 days old it would even be better than that 2 day old Heady.

Where was I going with that monologue? Can't say for sure. What I can say, though, is that this is in the top 3 DIPA I have ever had, beside Heady and Double Sunshine. A true work of art and yet another Surly beer to turn me even more into a fan.

Cheers!

11-15-2013 05:15:13 | More by ironchefmiyagi13
JohnG190

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to doner24 for the trade. Pours a deep golden color with a thick, quickly dissipating white head. Very nice lacing. The aroma on this beer is outstanding - tropical fruit, citrus, cantaloupe, resinous pine, lemon, with a hint of breadiness. Bitterness throughout with faint caramel notes mid palate that finishes very dry with a touch of honeyed sweetness on the tongue. Mouthfeel is oily, with a medium-light body and decent carbonation. Overall, a very well crafted DIPA that sits among the pantheon of the finest DIPAs.

11-14-2013 22:55:51 | More by JohnG190
Hop-Droppen-Roll

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%

About to review my first ever Abrasive. Just finished a König Pilsener which I decided not to review as I am not a fan of the style. Gotta find some crackers or something…

p.s. it's 11:02 AM.

Canned on 10/30/2013 - Enjoyed on 11/14/2013

Oh my God.

Upon cracking open the aluminum containment vessel, there's an aroma that speaks with the voice of some Holy deity, 'this, my son, is going to be good' - imagine the scent of a fresh bottle of orange juice with with twice the sex appeal.

The color is a gorgeous yellow orange, carbonation is pleasant but not too much. A previous reviewer nailed it when he mentioned how the juicy citrus grabs your tongue off the get-go, then gives way to a Hopgasm. That was paraphrasing. Mouthfeel is dangerous. It's like extra viscous water, but juicier. So juicy. The alcohol really only presents itself once you swallow. This ale leaves my tongue a little dry but my cheeks are oozing right now.

Overall this is probably the most high class IPA 'experience' I've ever had. I have to note, however, that on most day's I'd rather have a beer than an 'experience'. For the money I'd reach for a Summit Sága or a Lucid Foto, but if you're looking for a rare treat, you've come to the right place with this beer. I paid way too much for this one but had a gift card and really wanted to put my lips to something with a ba score of 100 - and this was my first time getting to do that. I don't think I'd spend that money on this beer again - like I said though, this was for the experience. I may drink one more then trade the other 2 in the 4pack for some heady if that's possible.

*EDIT*: After consuming, this can left me seriously craving another, which I allowed myself, and drank straight from the can. This seems important - upon imbibing of second pint, I was left feeling that there was too much fruitiness going on with this beer. I don't take back any praise, this is an awesome IPA, but part of me thinks I'm becoming more of a stout guy.

11-14-2013 17:18:13 | More by Hop-Droppen-Roll
tsauce2

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on cask at 3Floyds in early/mid 2013. Fantastic DIPA anyway, cask puts it over the edge. Bubbly/soapy two finger white head, beer was hazy dark straw color. Great nose of hops but also mellowed as all cask beers are. Phenomenal flavor, still hoppy and balanced by malt, but smoothed over by the cask. Mouth feel was very similar to taste. A rare treat.

Serving type: cask

10-05-2013 01:27:01 | More by tsauce2
joe1510

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 Grit
64oz Growler

I got this treat in a recent trade from the Mad Minnesotan, mully. Thanks for the hook up Matt! 16 Grit fills up my Goose Island willi glass with a hazy tangerine orange IIPA that has a tendency to glow the reddish orange of a sunset when backlit. Arch-like bone white lacing graces the glass as the two finger head settles to a solid cap. The lacing will take some scrubbing to remove from the glass, it's nice and sticky.

This IPA has a crazy amount of flowery hop qualities. Orange and tangy tangerines hold their own but flowery hoppiness leads the way. All I can smell when I bury my nose in the glass is a field of in bloom flowers. There's a touch of pine in the back but it stays put and struggles to get through the perfumey hops. The malty backbone is oozing caramel but be sure; this is a hopcentric brew without a doubt. As my glass warms the tangerines become a little more pronounced and there's a strong showing of honey. The nose is a little leathery, resinous, maybe even some tobacco. If the aroma is any indication this is one hugely complex hoppy beer.

The flavor does not disappoint. While there's a lot of hops tossed into this brew it's in no way a tongue scrubber with the bitterness. The tangerine and orange grab the tongue first but quickly give it up to the floral, resinous, pine needle hoppiness that lingers throughout. Sweet tangerine and orange oils pop back up on the swallow. Throughout each drink the leather and tobacco make appearances here and there. All of this incredible hoppy goodness sits atop a solid, sweet caramel malty base. This is an interesting IIPA to say the least with a ton of unique flavors and a hop profile unlike any other.

The mouthfeel is right where it should be. Medium body with an active enough carbonation to keep things moving while being slow enough to let me grasp every flavor involved. The bitterness lingers on the middle of my tongue and never fully lets go. A little snap across the tongue finishes things off.

I'm not sure of the abv in this brew but there is zero noticeable alcohol. The first pint disappeared so quick it's scary and the hops, while bitter, aren't assertive enough to keep me from getting the most out of each glass.

16 Grit is high quality! A growler of this isn't enough and hopefully we see some cans in the near future. There's so much hop complexity to this brew that it's a beer to sit down and think about while drinking, which is rare for IPAs. Thanks for this excellent IIPA Matt!

Reviewed: 1/31/09

Serving type: growler

08-18-2013 22:34:19 | More by joe1510
dar482

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Unforunately because this rotates, this is 6 months old, bottom of can says 1/8/13.

The color is a deep peachy orange with a big 2-3 finger fluffy head that slowly dissipates leaving some lacing.

The aroma is tons of Citra. Peach, mango, citrus. Just very sweet and tropical, almost like opening up a bottle of fresh squeeze tropical nectar, but also very hoppy too. Some sweet bready malts in there. There’s that grapefruit rind in there, but getting deeper and deeper is just that hugely fresh hop aroma that the world class beers, like Heady Topper, do so well with the aroma. It’s so deep and resinous.

The flavor follows with tons of juicy citrus fruit. Orange, grapefruit, with citrus being in the front and then hints of the tropical that were more prevalent in the aroma. Then you get some caramel malt that uplifts the beer for a bit until the hops just keep rolling in that bitter finish. Extremely well balanced.

The finish has this grapefruit pith bitterness. It’s very grapefruit and slightly bitter, but not very drying. It’s actually an easy natural tasting fruit finish.

This beer is just so darn juicy and hoppy. This really is one of the best Double IPAs out there. Heady Topper is up there, but this is right behind it. It’s just so juicy, hoppy, balanced, and with that huge amazing aroma.

07-12-2013 02:30:29 | More by dar482
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

473ml can served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear orange color forming a light yellow bubbled big head. Medium retention and lots of molasses lacings left in the glass

S: Strong caramel and caramel malts in the nose. Interesting "something else" here. Maybe honey or some spice. A bit of alcohol and tons of flowery and citruses hops

T: Slightly sweet caramel upfront. A bit fruity too. Which is followed by a dry and bitter hoppy taste. Hops are herbal and citrus too. A bit fruity. In overall, I would say, perfect!

M: Medium to heavy body. Molasses. Medium carbonation and a delicious bittersweet aftertaste

O: Excellent drinkability. Absolutely great IIPA. Perfect

06-19-2013 20:46:04 | More by eduardolinhalis
sita3081

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Definitely my favorite beer. Similar taste to Hopslam minus the rich honey/citrus. This one kicks you in the mouth with the amount of Hops. Slightly bitter when you first taste it but a very smooth finish. Recommend trying this one in-season, as it seems to go stale fairly quickly.

05-09-2013 20:57:01 | More by sita3081
rboinski

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can pored into a La Fin Du Monde Tulip

Appearance: A light copper color in appearance with a strong off-white head (for this ABV). Retains well.

Smell: Piney, resinous hops upfront with a touch of citrus, especially grapefruit. The resin notes dominate at this point, but I remember my first can having more citrus notes, so it is probably the age taking some away.

Taste: The taste is a nice pine bomb up front which is well balanced by the malt. This is not syrupy or sweet like some DIPAs, it is a hop showcase. A little grapefruit on the finish but at this point, as with the smell, it is mostly piney/resinous.

Mouthfeel: Superb. The head on this is really spectacular. Microbubble awesome foamy head that is one of the most stand out parts of this DIPA. I love this!

Overall: Awesome DIPA. I was not a fan of other Surly offerings, but this one really earns it's reputation. I am looking forward to getting more of it next year!

05-08-2013 02:09:19 | More by rboinski
da_beers

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have definitely been on a DIPA kick lately, and was very excited to try this one.
A - Pours a hazy orange, great two/three fingers of head that dissipates somewhat quickly, great lacing.

S - Sweet resiny smell. Some earthy notes in there for sure, a little pineyness. Light hop smell relatively, also has some hints of tropical fruit towards the end of the nose.

T - A punchy wave of flavors blast the palate. Bitter earth tones, pine, and citrus notes all dance around. Taste was on point.

M - Changes flavor across the palate. Good carbonation, aftertaste somewhat lingers, but in a good way.

O - Great beer, leaves me wanting to try all the other Surly brews! This is a DIPA that I could have multiples of.

05-08-2013 01:34:48 | More by da_beers
Rizalini

Nevada

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Received as an extra from jeremy6566, and poured from the can into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a very hazy, speckeley golden yellow with a creamy 3 finger ivory colored head. A nice ring of lacing is left behind when it fades.

S - Woah! The smell fills the room as soon as I pop the can. Great citrus smells of lemon zest, and some trpical fruits like mango and papaya. One of the best smelling DIPAs I've ever smelled.

T/M - The taste really matches the smell nicely! Great juicy tropical fruits on the front, a nice caramel malt middle, and a fresh lemon zest back. Really great hop bitterness aftertaste (which I love!). Medium mouthfeel, great carbonation.

O - This is the perfect example of what a DIPA should be. Mouthfeel isn't too light, hops take center stage, great resinous aftertaste. Great great great all around. If I could get this in Vegas, I would stock up a healthy suply. But I can't, so a huge thanks to jeremy for hooking me up with this gem. Cheers to you bro!

05-04-2013 04:35:35 | More by Rizalini
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One pint can poured into my Duvel glass. A rich golden honey body has a consistent haze to it. I get only about one inch of head that fades in just a couple of minutes. Head is a soft beige in color. Only edges of lace are left behind. Nose is full of orange rind and marmalade. Softly fragrant but very nice. With first sip I am really taken by how dry this beer is. Based on the nose I was really expecting something a little more citrus based and maybe a bit sweater. Not that I am complaining but the nose threw me off. The hop profile is nicely bitter and extremely dry. There is a twinge of lemon zest on the on the back end of the palate. This beer is not heavy at all and would go wonderfully with some stinky blue cheese. Dryness lingers on the mouthfeel but is just wonderful. A very nice break from all the more sweet IPAs out there lately.

05-02-2013 00:39:14 | More by SPLITGRIN
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Surly Brewing Company - Abrasive Ale

I have beer trading to thank for this one and a few other Surly brews.

Look - Slightly hazy but mostly clear bubbly golden. Nice frothy head. Lacing abound.

Smell - Intense deep resinous hop bomb with malt overtones. Beast mode!

Taste - Pucker blast of hops. Resiny, piney, citrus, the whole shebang. Malt heavy as well but it lines up quite well.

Mouthfeel - Super hop citrus feel rests, the initial resin blast fades. Not too boozy. Good drinkability.

Overall - Phenomenal contender with the rest of the DIPA crew. This brew is for serious hop heads. Others are likely to cringe or cry.

05-01-2013 11:23:43 | More by JMScowcroft