Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

Reviews: 461 | Hads: 1,483
Reviews by Ross_Haddow:
3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

2.56/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours to a nice light copper to straight amber color with a two finger white head that laces well. Smells like German malts with a touch of lemon - no hops detected. Tastes nothing like it should - plenty of lemony maltiness and not much else. Finishes with some faint, lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side as is the carbonation. Surly has missed big time with this beer. It tastes nothing like I would expect - more like a semi-hopped up lager. And at $17 ... well let's just say I am not happy.

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Although there is a very obvious lack in aroma, the flavor makes this beer worth coming back to. Dank and slightly piney with a beautiful grapefruit-ish finish, there is a very pleasant lingering bitterness that carries the beer through the taste. As I've come to expect from Surly, this is an exceedingly easy drinking beer that betrays its ABV by being so smooth. It's gone before I even know it.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had really high hopes for this beer after everything I've read about past brews. Sad to say I was really let down with Wet (although Surly makes the amazing Todd the Axeman and therefore will always holds a top spot in my heart).
I haven't had a ton of wet hopped beers in the past but this is my 4th different brew of the 2015 season and by far my least favorite.
The look is a nice clear amber. Smell is very malty with some pine, dank wet grass, sweet grapes and lemon/lime pith. Usually dank and lemon are a good thing to me but I find this unpleasant. They combine for an aroma I cant quite place but know well, maybe pinesol or some other cleaning product. Taste is similar with a bitterness I don't quite like and not typical of an IPA....more like the bitterness from straight citrus pith without any rind, if that makes sense. Feel is very thin without much stickiness. It's almost like a cheap AAL with some wet grass and citrus pith.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

This stuff is the nectar of the gods. Since it's seasonal I anticipate its arrival every year. Unfortunately Surly did not release it in 2014 as they were transitioning their production to their new brewery. If you're a native Minnesotan or just visiting definitely check out the new Surly brewery complex. Great food as well.

They source different hop styles each year. This time around it's west coast American hops.
Once again they absolutely nailed it. Poured from a 16oz can into a snifter. This stuff is aromatic. Nose is pine resin, cut grass, and lemon. Pours a perfect dark amber with nice lacy head. The first sip screams fresh squeezed hops. Strong chlorophyll notes with a hint of sugar cane. Finishes with a nice bitter hop bite in line with a traditional IPA. I'm glad they didn't over hop this one as to not drown out the complex character of this exquisite brew. Perfectly balanced and one of my all time favorites.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tallboy poured into a clear Solo cup. Hey, I'm at the train station.

A - golden burnished orange haze. Absolutely lovely. Head is minimal, but retention and lacing are on point.

S - Barnyard in abundance, but dank pine and freshly cut grass make strong star turns as well

T - Simcoe hops bring their pine nuts, grapefruit and lemongrass notes to the party. The farm comes back in a big way right after and brings pineapple and blue cheese along. Finish is juicy sour orange and a hint of creamy avocado. No malts to speak of, this is a pure hop-delivery system operating at peak efficiency.

M - Sticky and oily, but thin. Soap film, but in a cleansing way.

Well, this is what wet hops are for, basically. Way too expensive, but glad to find a single available and a cute ale slinger willing to give me a slight discount.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got the last 2 4 packs at Woodmans in Menomonee Falls. Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: an amber pour that you can see right through. Tiny streams of bubbles. White head that lingers and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: compared to things like Todd, this has a far less overpowering hop aroma.

Taste: my goodness. This is unique to put it nicely. Maybe the tea like taste that was in the $urly thread is the closest descriptor I can find. Surly does things right with these limited makes. This is outstanding taste wise.

Mouthfeel: slightly syrupy, resinous. Leaves the mouth feeling slightly coated.

Overall: $4 per pint can is frankly worth it if you can foot it, folks. I'm glad I didn't have to chase down trucks like some folk in Milwaukee did this week.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Burnished golden orange pour with great clarity and a creamy half inch of bubbly foam on top. Nice active carbonation. Aromas kick off with juicy, fresh, resinous hops. Lots of citrus and grapefruit all over the place. Mellow roasted malt in the background with some caramel sweetness, but hops rule the show as it was brewed with 100% Citra.

First sip is...HOPS! Bright green citrus with lots of orange, grapefruit and resinous oils. Lightly toasted malts with some caramel sweetness. Flows down with a nice kick of bitterness. Great stuff.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with great carbonation. An easy drinking brew that brings the fresh dank hops! Glad I happened to be up in MN when this was out so I could grab a 4pack, my only regret is this being my last can...yum!

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another fantastic offering from Surly.
Golden/bronze clear appearance, moderate head, floral lightly citrus aroma. Very pleasant. Floral up front, balanced taste, citrus lingers. Not at all overwhelming.
Smooth. A very easy drinker finished off quickly.
Very much worth seeking out.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

I'm surprised that there is no canning date on this, as they do put dates on some other beers. Still, probably within a few weeks of canning.

A - Beautiful clear dark copper pour with almost two fingers of dense off-white head. Head has great retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Nice herbal hops, with some tropical fruit, a bit of citrus, and floral aromas as well. Interesting hop combination with the earthy and fruit Also a decent malt presence, though hops do take center stage. Doesn't have the "punch you in the nose" hop presence, but the aroma is very nicely balanced.

T - Nice resiny hops up front, with more citrus than I got from the aroma, some pine and an earthy herbal presence. While quite hoppy, I wouldn't characterize this as a hop bomb. There is a nice balance of caramel malt. Finish is a bit bitter and piney. Very nice.

M - Wow, this is the creamiest IPA I've ever had. Has quite a luxurious mothfeel that balances the bitter elements nicely.

O - I've used this word several times already, but balance is definitely what makes this one a great beer. It is quite hoppy, and the bitter aftertaste lingers for quite awhile, but the malt presence is just enough to balance, without detracting from the hop character. Easily one of my favorite fresh hop ales.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Big thanks to Exiled for sharing this canned goodness.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is resiny hops, along with some pine and grassy notes. This is one of the more dank smelling IPAs I have tried. The aroma has a lot of pine, resin and dank qualities to it. There is a little bready malt in the backbone and the bitterness is low to medium. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice fresh-hopped IPA that definitely lived up to the hype. I only wish I could drink this beer more often.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%