Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October
Ratings: 1,220 | Reviews: 397

Wow, just popped a can of this - the hops hit the nostrils before I even poured it. Pours a beautiful licht copper with a thick golden head. Massive lacing as i drink. The taste is the most floral arrangement of hops I've ever tasted, like drinking a bridal bouquet. It nicely crisp in the mouth, and alcohol is no part of the palate. 6% abv and 90 ibus makes this a hop head's dream. Outstanding job Surly.

A- Light golden color, medium low carbonation

S- Nose will be slightly different each year due to different hops, but the common theme is REALLY fresh hops. Fresh cut grass, leaves, vegetation along with the citrusy hop profile

T- This is THE best fresh hop beer ive ever had, and Im a huge hop head. Its over the top fresh while not overly bitter and still being over the top hoppy. The fresh hops really come through. There is just enough malt and sweetness to hold up the hops. Definitely a hop centric beer for the hop heads in us. The closest beer to it is fresh Heady.

M- Just enough body/malt/sweetness to hold the beer together for the hops. A medium-light bodied IPA.

O -I go out of my way for this every year and will do so again. This is tied for my favorite beer from surly. (its tied with Moe's Bender, which is Oaked Coffee Vanilla Bender which only makes it to very limited releases)

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Canned 10/11/10 and Consuming 10/22/10 So Fresh!!!

16oz can into a DFH Snifter

A- Pours a clear as day golden orange with a nice 1 finger white head that rests on top.

S- Stanky Dankin fresh earthy hops. Smells like I literally have fresh pulled greens in my glass. Grass, pine, and citrus. What else could a hop head ask for!!!!??!?!

T- Soooo smooth but the second that gulp goes down those insanely bitter hops rip the tongue apart leaving it numb and begging for more. Much like the smell it's just straight up intense IPA that should be doubled. Crazy pine and grass with a nice citrus background, sitting on top of some very pleasant and surrendering malts that really fill the brew out nicely. Couldn't really ask for much more, this beer has it.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation surprisingly even due to freshness. And of course the crazy bitter dry finish.

SkÅL!!!

4.97/5  rDev +14%

This beer pours a crystal clear reddish bronze color. The head is a rocky two inches of foam that recedes slowly into nice sticky lacing. This is a beautiful looking beer. The aroma is very bright with hops. Floral hops, herbal hops, piney hops, and a hint of grapefruity hops all mingling together perfectly. The taste has a very sharp bitterness that comes across first. However, behind it there is a plethora of complex hop flavor. It tastes like a hop rainbow in a glass. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with moderate, fine carbonation. The texture is extremely silky which is immediately noticeable, and adds a lot to the taste. Overall, this is a great beer. I am a huge fan of wet hopped beers, and this beer is the best I've ever had. If only hops could be harvested year round.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 16 oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Canned on 10/04/11.

Appearance: Bright and lively amber orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big five finger white head that holds up pretty well. Lots of sticky lacing rims the glass.

Smell: Huge aroma of hops. Lots of citrus including notes of grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and orange. Strong presence of pine resin and a hint of onion from the hops. A healthy background of malts is also noticeable with a nice bready aroma lingering behind the hops.

Taste: Like the nose, a huge assertive flavor of citrus and piney hops. Big notes of grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and orange with lots of pine resin. Also a hint of spicy onion and grass. A nice presence of bready caramel malts brings some balance. Very bold and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a moderate level of carbonation. Chewy, somewhat dry and very smooth for such a boldly hopped ale.

Overall: Another great ale from Surly. Very boldly hopped but still very smooth and balanced. Very tasty.

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

I CANnot tell you how much I enjoy Surly's beers and how grateful I am when they arrive in support of The CANQuest (TM)! This one kind of makes me giggle from the utter simplicity of its name. I guess that if they had Michelob Dry in the late-'80's, we CAN have Surly Wet in the early-'10's.

From the ultra-green CAN: "Beer for a glass. From a CAN."; "Ultra-Fresh Hops Beer"; "Fresh Beer. Keep Cold. Don't Age."; "Get Surly! You are about to drink a wet hop beer - brewed with AmeriCAN hops so fresh they've never had the chance to dry out. Day 1: picked. Day 2: shipped. Day 4: tossed in the brew. The only delay from the field to your glass is the time it takes for fermenting. The hop varieties vary, but you CAN always expect the intense resinous character that only comes from the fresh hops. This ain't a beer for aging. The beer quickly loses its aromatics. So invite your friends over and enjoy this West-Coast Style IPA ... now." Well put, surs! I get the idea. The bottom of this CAN was stamped "CANned on 10/12/10 Get Wet" I'm about to dive right in!

Following the Crack & Glug, I first noted that it was full to the brim, a phenomenon common to their CANs. I also caught a whiff of earthy, citrusy hops, even before the pour. Nothing wrong with these aromatics! My soon-to-be-famous pour style resulted in two fingers of foamy, tawny head with great retention and now the aromatics were beginning to permeate the room. I was salivating like Pavlov's dogs at this point. My hop addiction may have passed, thanks to too many AALs in a CAN, but I still like a hit every now and again for maintenance purposes. As the head began to fall, sticky lacing appeared in its wake. Color was a medium orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The first sip, OK, mouthful, was medium-to-full and intense with an initial malt sweetness up front to lull my palate into a state of being unawares, followed by a smack of grapefruit hops that made my eyes water! Shazam! This was like being a born-again virgin. My tongue began to loll around in my mouth, I leaned back in my chair, took a deep breath ... Big mistake! The finish was even hoppier than in the mouth! Man, I was totally feeling this one. Dee-lish! The only drawback to putting it into my imaginary cooler might be its ABV.

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

Brewed on 10/12/11. 16 oz can poured into Efes tulip. Golden with high clarity. White head, moderate retention. Sticky, oily, clear lacing. Aroma dominated by mango and papaya. (a touch of nectarine). Wow. Interesting. Taste is biting and bitter. Togue coating and delicious. Hoppy, juicy greatness. Awesome. Exactly as expected...and then some.

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens goblet on 10/14/11.

Pours a lighter amber that is totally clear and with a light to moderate amount of lacing. It would have bee nice to see a little more darker of amber color and some more lacing but it is stills great looking beer.

Smell... Wow... Somebody just slapped me inn the face with citrus hop cones. Huge chewy citrus hops and a tad bit of malt. This is a hop heads dread and exactly how a wet hopped beer should smell. I want an air freshener that smells like this.

Taste is much of the same. Huge citra hop presence and little malt character to balance but thats how it should be for a wet hop. This beer is top notch.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry but there is a chewy hop presence and a tad bit of malt. Great mouthfeel.

Overall this is a top notch wet hopped IPA. Run and get it, now before it is gone.

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to Rutager again, the guy is unreal.

A: 1" cream coloured head that left a nice lacing over cloudy amber liquid.

S: Apple juice, lemonade and hibiscus flowers.

T: Lemon, hibiscus, grass and grapefruit in the finish.

M: Thick viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: A gorgeous beer with a very unique taste profile. Very full mouth feel and it goes down extremely easy.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a snifter

Appearance: Poured a beautiful dark orange/light copper color with nice carbonation streaming off of the bottom of the glass. Had a 1 1/2 finger's worth of off white eggshell head. Just a beautiful beer.

Aroma: Boom! Tropical fruits...mango and pinneapple are filling the nose. It smells fresh. That is the best way to describe it

Taste: This beer coats the mouth with an earthy, grassy, tropical dream that leaves you wanting more. The juicy fruits and grassy notes harmonize in a way that only a wet hopped beer can deliver. Amazing stuff from Surly.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Picked up 2 four-packs all canned on 10-12-11.
Poured into Grain Belt pint glass

Appearance: Color is a light copper color with a small head.

Smell: The smell is as fresh as it gets. A great combo of hops and citrus.

Taste: this one hits you right away with strong hoppy bitterness, the taste lingers, and the aftertaste is nicely bitter

Overall: This is an amazing brew. Probably one of my top-5 favorites of all time.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Beautiful gold color with a finger of foamy white head with great retention. The color was so clear I could read the can through the beer in my glass!

S - Every hop profile you can imagine, floral hoppiness, lots of citrusy hoppiness, and some steely bitter hoppiness. If you want hops, you know you're getting it from the aroma.

T - The quintessential hop forward beer. The flavor is all citrus forward hops that really hit the tongue hard. If you want hops, you'll find them here.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh but smooth and very drinkable if you love your hops.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

This is perhaps the best IPA i've ever had! Poured with a small to average off white head and a little lace. Color is a clear amber. Aroma is the freshest hops and balanced against malt, caramel, fresh bread. Flavor is like nose and again the freshest hops perfectly matched to the malt, yeast, and carbonic tang. Body and carbonation excell. Finish is like flavor and surprisingly of average length considering the fullness of the flavor.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Clear, but not brilliant gold body with a dense white foam which persists. Sticky lacing down the sides of the glass which persists until the glass is empty. I don't know if could be brilliant with all of the hops in this beer.

S - The second the can is opened, hop aroma fills the room. Grassy undertones with a citrus blend. As it warms, mango and tangerine flavors are more evident. It reminds me a bit of fresh Odell IPA, but with less of a grapefruit edge.

T - A clean malt flavor paves the way for a citrus and mango explosion. Every tastebud feels like it's being lit with a juicy blend of mango, tangerine and pineapple. There is a subtle tinge of pine that seems to keep it from going too far over the top. The bitterness is firm, but not insane. Overall, the hop flavors just change and roll around in your mouth. It takes some serious attention to catch all of the flavors happening. It's a treat. Fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing.

M - I've said it above, but the first thing that describes the mouthfeel is 'juicy'. It's a great sensation. Otherwise it's a dry beer that leaves feel of being coated in hops. The carbonation scrubs away any heavy feeling and is nice and spritzy.

D - While it goes down easy, the ton of flavor was almost overwhelming. I would have given my left arm for a second, but probably not a third. The alc is well hidden and a non-issue.

Despite the hype, I didn't expect much. Other 'fresh hop' beers have left me flat, but this one blew me away.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

1400 Pounds of hops in one batch. One small batch. 50 barrels, was it? Centennials and Chinooks, picked in Yakima, WA and shipped off to Brooklyn Center, MN, tossed into the brew kettle a mere three days after the picking. Wet as in not dry, not old, fresh as they get. Big, bright, bold, brash hops up in there and all over. So good I had 7 pints in a row at it's release. Two nights later, I sit down with one to investigate it.

Appearance: clear, bright crimson...dazzling...big, creamy beige head, rocky, lace leaving, ...lovely....great looking glass of beer.

Aroma: pine needles, lemon zest, orange rind, grapefruit, bright, fresh, lively, beautiful. Hop lovers rejoice, this is heaven, here in the nose.

Taste: Bam! Big fat hop blast on the palate, fresh and fruity, gobs of resiny hop oily goodness dripping all over...so much transferred from the leaf, the cone, the plant...the flavor swims around, the bitterness spills and clings to the corners. Sticks and survives. Hangs on. Nothing but the essence of the hop here. Big and juicy. So tasty. Mmmm...yu-um.

Hardly any malt feel in this one, just barely enough to keep it beer, but there's no complaints here, and the hop bitterness keeps grabbing, keeps holding it's ground. Hangs on, clings, stays, survives. Lays in. Blends in. Fades back and becomes part of the background. Never leaves.

Yum, I say. I say, Yum. Such a treat in the mouth, for the afifcciando of the hop. Gets no better than this.

I know that Fresh Hop/Wet Hop isn't a style, but if it were, it would be my favorite. Bar none. Hands down.

Drinkability is amazing, actually. I forgot to ask about the ABV on this, but it's not much. I'd guess 6% or so. If it were more, I couldn't drink as much as I can. It's amazing. Mmmmm. Love me the hops. Mmmmm.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Possibly the best straight up American IPA I have ever had. Complex, like the hops have their own aroma and flavor bell curves of perfection. The malt is hidden underneath but is still fully present in the flavor. And the hops taste just a fresh as they guarantee them to be. My can was only 2 weeks old. I would simply buy this all the time if it was available for me on a regular basis.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Canned 10/11/10. Consumed 10/19/10. I like those numbers. Big shout out to Einweizenbitte for making this possible! Thanks again Todd.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Cracking the can unleashed a bouquet of wonderfully hoppy aromas. The pour was fantastic. Dumping Wet right down center of my goblet produced a gorgeous cascade of bubbles and at least two fingers worth of dense, eggshell-colored froth. A modest column of carbonation did its best to hold up the massive pile, but eventually it collapsed, dragging a thick web of lacing in its wake. The body looks like polished copper; bright and crystal clear. Head retained as a creamy cap for the entire session. Excellent!

Smell: Ocean-sprayed pine trees, tangerines, herbs, grapefruit, earth, and lemon zest. I can't help but think of fresh Sculpin right now - I'd love to try it next to fresh Wet. Pungent, complex, and delightfully hoppy.

Taste: Mango, grapefruit, pine, earth, and hop resin. Each sip starts off with several seconds worth of sweet, tangy, complexity; followed by a delicately adjusted bitter finish, dominated by earth and pine. This section was really hard to put into words. India Pale Ale bliss.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and resinous with soft, rolling carbonation. Finishes a bit sticky and dry, with the perfect amount of bitterness. Aftertaste is earthy, bitter, and long-lasting.

Drinkability: Have I achieved nirvana? My mind is at ease. I crave nothing; care for nothing. Oh shit, the can's empty. Dammit. I could really go for some more Wet. Thank Buddha, I've got two more cans of nirvana replenishment in the fridge. Ohhhmmmm...

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Got in a trade with hopscrazy! Thanks Brian!

A- Pours a beautiful, clear, autumn orange into my DFH glass. Nice fluffy white head that leaves a ton of spider web lacing.

S- Grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon zest and freshly fallen pine needles. This smells really fresh and pungent! Nice sweet malt backbone that grabs just a touch of the spotlight from the fruity hops! A touch of funky yet buttery yeastiness comes thru as it warms up.

T- WOW! Like drinking a fresh citrus and tropical fruit blended juice! Nice bitterness up front, followed by a sweetness from the malt base.

M- Sweet, bitter, citrusy, and a touch oily (from the copious amount of sticky hops). Even my burps taste awesome!

O- This is rediculous, and exactally what I've come to expect from this "King of IPA's"!!! Reminds me alot of Flower Power. Sticky, citrusy, piney, and sweet! I think I'm in love!

4.76/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another fantastic offering from Surly.
Golden/bronze clear appearance, moderate head, floral lightly citrus aroma. Very pleasant. Floral up front, balanced taste, citrus lingers. Not at all overwhelming.
Smooth. A very easy drinker finished off quickly.
Very much worth seeking out.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Purchased this beer the morning of its first deliveries in Minneapolis on 10-12-2010. The bottom has a canned on date that reads 10-11-2010.

Poured into a pint it had a tremendous amount of high quality head that almost had a green tint to it. Not sure if this was a reflection of the bright green can it was poured from or my mind just playing tricks on me. My initial reaction was a little surprise at the clarity... Made me think about the rumors of Surly using isinglass to clarify their beer. (It is an exceptional clarifying agent but some people freak out about it because it is an extract of a sturgeon or codfish swim bladder and therefore crosses some vegan/vegetarian ethical lines)

I will reiterate - exceptionally clear with a bright golden color and excellent head.
The hop character in the nose is also exceptional. My first thought was that it smelled like a freshly mowed yard.

EDIT: I have had this beer multiple times since this review and each time I noticed progressively less and less of that wonderful piney/grassy aroma. This is certainly an example of a beer best had at the peak of its freshness. It's no wonder Surly only releases it over the span of about a week and it says on the side of the can DRINK NOW! DO NOT AGE. That first two day old can was like a revelation.

Drinkability was very nice too.. Left me wanting more. Noticed a heavy bitterness to it that lingers quite a while after swallow.
Lots of resinous citrus flavor and a nice amount of barley backbone.

Beers like this make me wish there was a better way to preserve that amazing freshness exhibited in so many CA style IPA's like this.
At least I live near enough to get it while the gettings good.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Got a 4 pack of Surly Wet in Apple Valley last night. Light brown hue, and poured with ample head. Great soft mouth feel with light citrus resign-y flavor. Guy at the store told me to drink 'em fast they dont keep. That won't be a problem. Spendy but worth it.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pours clear amber with a two finger white head that lasts well.
S- Arooma is pungently hoppy. Intense sweet citrus and tropical fruit. Pine resin also comes through, more so as it warms.
T- One of the best tasting IPA's I've come across. Immediate perceptions are pine resin, pineapple, tangerine, and grapefruit juice. It's a bit sweet but in a fruity way not in a malty way.
M- Oily at first but it dries out. Alcohol is a bit perceivable. Low carbonation but I like that here.
O- Anyone who needs a hop fix should come here. This is exactly what a hop-bomb style IPA should be. A tremendously delicious beer, and my only negative is I wish it wasn't 7.5 so I could enjoy more of them.

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer pours a clear dark orange with a two finger off white head.

The smell is of fresh cut grass blended with hops its phenomenal how fresh this beer smells.

The taste is all fresh hops from the front to the back of the pallet i feel like i pick up some lemon notes in the after taste and maybe a little grass

mouthfeel is smooth not as much carbonation as i usually like

this is a great beer

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from 16 oz can into a pint glass.

Light bronze in color with a two-finger thick white foam head.
The instant the seal is broken a burst of citra hops fills the air, which intensifies as it is poured into the glass.
The initial taste of crisp citrus consumes your palate as you take the first sip. The swallow leaves a dry and slightly bitter sensation in your mouth.
All in all it was an excellent brew.

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a Surly pint glass, canned 10/04/2011.

A: Finger or two worth of head that disapates rather quickly. Dark orange in color, a strong bubble presence.

S: Smells sweet, candy and citrus. Lots and lots of hop aroma.

T: Spicy, sweet citrus especialy orange/tangerine with a sharp bitter end. Earthy, fresh and delicious tasting. I think this years offering has a little more consistency in flavor, but I might be imagining that due to the usage of only citra hops.

M: Perfectly carbonated, smooth and lively with a dry finish.

Overall this beer is incredible, I look forward to it every fall.

Wet from Surly Brewing Company